PDA

View Full Version : NBA Redraft Playoffs (1) San Jose vs (8) West Covina

Matter.
09-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Every summer, PSD holds a game where GM's re-draft players to see who creates the best team. This year, users from the site had to utilize their skills via draft, trades. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2014 NBA Re-Draft

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

San Jose has homecourt advantage.

San Jose

PG: Goran Dragic/Aaron Brooks
SG: Monta Ellis/Iman Shumpert
SF: Danilo Gallinari/Danny Granger
PF: Chris Bosh/Udonis Haslem
C: Omer Asik/ DeJuan Blair

vs

C: Plumlee/Plumlee
PF: Griffin/Plumlee/Scott
SF: Sefolosha/Butler
SG: Bryant/Carter-Williams/Wroten
PG: Livingston/Carter-Williams/Wroten

San Jose Writeup:

Firstly, I thank everyone for playing the game as I am happy to see many people Voting on the matchups! Hope you had fun playing guys and I'm sorry for my co-commishes inactivity.

Secondly, Congrats to Cracka for making it this far but I am sorry my friend, it ends here.

Thirdly, This is not my team it is BranWingss' team also! SO THANKS BRAN FOR a great PARTNERSHIP.
PG: Dragic vs Livingston. Goran Dragic is coming off such an amazing year as he was a #1 option for the Phoenix Suns and he had to carry a boatload of the offense for them where as with San Jose he will play as a second option to Bosh and it will help him focus more on defense but also be able to get his teammates more involved. Dragic will be guarded most likely by Livingston where Dragic averaged 16-6 in the last year, while shooting 46-47% from the field. Dragic should not have to worry about Livingston beating him as Livingston is not as skilled as other PG's are.

SG: Monta Ellis vs Kobe Bryant, Monta Ellis WILL NOT BE GUARDING KOBE BRYANT. But I would expect Kobe to guard him, but Kobe is not the same player he was. I expect Ellis to average 18ppg for the series on 48% shooting while playing D on whoever plays SF for West Covina.

SF: Danilo Gallinari vs Sefolosha San Jose would put Gallinari on Kobe to slow down Kobe as Kobe has had to work for himself when he is defended by Gallo. Kobe average 29ppg on 43% shooting which would be helpful for San Jose as it would create more opportunities. Also Gallo will be our corner shooter that can knock down the 3 ball when needed.

PF/C: Chris Bosh/Omer Asik vs Blake Griffin/Plumlee Brothers THE MATCHUP of the SERIES. CB4 Finally back into a number option role WHERE HE AVERAGED 20-10 FOR TORONTO. With Dragic a great PG, and excellent wing player with Ellis I would EXPECT BOSH to give San Jose 20-10 in the series vs West Covina, but Bosh will be guarding the Plumlee brothers while our Defensive Center ASIK will be guarding Blake. Blake will be forced into a lot of tough shots and I would suspect him working hard on both sides for results, where as in BOSH will be guarding the Plumlee brothers who aren't as skilled as Griffin is. Bosh will have his time and energy spent mainly on offense trying to tire out Blake Griffin.

All in all I see San Jose winning in 5 games at the max as Bosh back into his suited role as a #1 option and Dragic not having to carry a team being more effecient with a newly revived Monta Ellis, and with Omer Asik as our Amazing rim protector.

Cracka2HI!
09-23-2014, 11:51 PM
I know I'm gonna get crushed but I don't think this is a lopsided matchup at all. My team was very unpopular with the re-drafters but maybe the NBA forum posters will show more knowledge :p

First of all Blake Griffin finished 3rd in the league in MVP voting. We all know what Kobe can do. I have the 2 best players in this series. I should get a lot of credit for that. Blake and Kobe would be a killer 1-2 punch and I have a great set of role players around them.

After reading matters writeup I do have a few things to bring up. Gallo is going to guard Kobe huh? OK. My opponent clearly has no one to even remotely slow Kobe down. While Kobe and Sefolsoha can shut his wings down. Asik on Blake? Again, don't really think that's going to work out well for you. Blake can take Asik out on the perimeter and kill him off the dribble. Down low Asik will be tough for Blake but Asik doesn't have close to the foot speed to cover Blake on a consistent basis. Bosh will be the one forced to do the heavy lifting this series. Not Blake. With emergence of the Plumlee's(especially team USA member Mason) and Asik's bad season I think my team has the better frontcourt.

The only position I clearly see as a disadvantage for my team is PG. However Shaun Livingston is a very solid defender and huge for a PG. Michael Carter-Williams got crushed in by the re-drafters but he is a very good option off the bench. Gallo is a better player than Sefolosha in theory but does he fit in better with his team when his starting SG is Monta Ellis? Dragic had a great season but he was known as Tragic before and he earned the name. One thing is for sure he will be going against a much larger defender no matter who we decide to put on him.

Matter.
09-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Bump can a mod sticky

KnicksorBust
09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
This is a surprisingly close 1-8 matchup unless you think Kobe really is done. Will think about this more.

Matter.
09-24-2014, 12:15 PM
I know I'm gonna get crushed but I don't think this is a lopsided matchup at all. My team was very unpopular with the re-drafters but maybe the NBA forum posters will show more knowledge :p

First of all Blake Griffin finished 3rd in the league in MVP voting. We all know what Kobe can do. I have the 2 best players in this series. I should get a lot of credit for that. Blake and Kobe would be a killer 1-2 punch and I have a great set of role players around them.

After reading matters writeup I do have a few things to bring up. Gallo is going to guard Kobe huh? OK. My opponent clearly has no one to even remotely slow Kobe down. While Kobe and Sefolsoha can shut his wings down. Asik on Blake? Again, don't really think that's going to work out well for you. Blake can take Asik out on the perimeter and kill him off the dribble. Down low Asik will be tough for Blake but Asik doesn't have close to the foot speed to cover Blake on a consistent basis. Bosh will be the one forced to do the heavy lifting this series. Not Blake. With emergence of the Plumlee's(especially team USA member Mason) and Asik's bad season I think my team has the better frontcourt.

The only position I clearly see as a disadvantage for my team is PG. However Shaun Livingston is a very solid defender and huge for a PG. Michael Carter-Williams got crushed in by the re-drafters but he is a very good option off the bench. Gallo is a better player than Sefolosha in theory but does he fit in better with his team when his starting SG is Monta Ellis? Dragic had a great season but he was known as Tragic before and he earned the name. One thing is for sure he will be going against a much larger defender no matter who we decide to put on him.

Asides from Blake and Kobe I do not see much scoring input from anyone else on your roster...

Secondly, Gallo makes Kobe work for his points, he is averaging 29 on 23 shots while making only, which is rather ineffecient, PLUS Kobe is not the same player anymore. He is not in his prime where he was a good defender. I doubt Kobe could do for a 7 game series alone. So I do not see how my wings are getting shut down where Sefolosha is not the great wing defender he was before and he is not the best 3/D guy for you as he only shot 31% from 3PT which is not the greatest at all...

Asik only had a horrible season because he was playing behind Dwight Howard, now on this San Jose team he is the anchor of our defense and will provide 10-10 for San Jose in this series.

KnicksorBust
09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
I wonder if people would have liked WC more with MCW at PG, Livingston at SG, and Kobe at SF. Gallo is a question mark as well and assuming health you would have to give Kobe the big edge there.

As much as I think WC got the raw end of the stick in the redraft, San Jose is still too balanced for them. It will be interesting to see if that Gallo/Granger combo ever comes under heavy attack as they move deeper through the playoffs.

Sadds The Gr8
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Don't know how Gallo can be depended on for defense when he isn't known for It In the first place and is coming off a knee injury that held him off for like 1.5 years

Redrum187
09-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Gallo counts as a negative at this point. He has always been a low efficient fg shooter who is slightly above average from 3. His defense wasn't the greatest when healthy, and I doubt it has improved since being so injury prone.

Asik is a black hole offensively. Sure he is efficient, but if a player dunks a couple times a game, it doesn't make him a great and efficient scorer... there isn't enough data because of his lack of offensive production. I also don't see Asik protecting the rim for 48 minutes. Outside of Asik, his roster is filled with sub-par defenders/rim protectors. Asik guarding Blake would be a huge mistake. He is too slow for Blake outside the painted area; on the low block it's fine though. With Bosh forced into guarding Blake, I doubt Bosh is efficient and is able to rebound like his Toronto days. It's funny... "Kobe isn't the same player anymore" when he hasn't played a full season, but we are suppose to ignore and assume that Gallo will be the same inefficient scorer (good from 3 though) and guard Kobe well enough to make him inefficient, and Asik will produce like he did a couple seasons ago when he had 30 minutes a game, and Bosh will put up numbers like his Toronto days. To me, I think it's a safer assumption Kobe puts up numbers similar to the season previously, than any of those other assumptions.

BranWingss
09-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Big time injuries at 35 is a pretty big difference from being behind Wade and James. Fantastic comparison!

Gallo is younger and really wasnt a bad defender before the injuries. He's a solid three point shot.

Redrum187
09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Big time injuries at 35 is a pretty big difference from being behind Wade and James. Fantastic comparison!

Gallo is younger and really wasnt a bad defender before the injuries. He's a solid three point shot.

While that's true (there being a difference in age), that still does NOTHING to prove Gallo is the same player or that he'd be (at best) average defensively. That is the point the guy before me was making and the point I agree with.

Besides, other than Asik, who defends on that team? Dragic? Ellis? Certainly can't/shouldn't/won't count on Gallo... Blair? Haslem (lol)?

BranWingss
09-24-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't expect Gallo or Kobe to come back to where they once were. I do expect Bosh to be a 20/10 guy again.

Redrum187
09-24-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't expect Gallo or Kobe to come back to where they once were. I do expect Bosh to be a 20/10 guy again.

"I do expect Kobe to be a 25/5/6 guy again."

It's easy to do/say/write. The jury is out. I can see both having similar production that they once had. But the redraft has the assumption/given that Kobe Bryant is 100% healthy, and so I think he has an astronomically greater impact than Bosh does.

xxplayerxx23
09-24-2014, 07:51 PM
If This was 2011 Kobe I think they would have a real shot, but to many question marks.

Cracka2HI!
09-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Asides from Blake and Kobe I do not see much scoring input from anyone else on your roster...

Secondly, Gallo makes Kobe work for his points, he is averaging 29 on 23 shots while making only, which is rather ineffecient, PLUS Kobe is not the same player anymore. He is not in his prime where he was a good defender. I doubt Kobe could do for a 7 game series alone. So I do not see how my wings are getting shut down where Sefolosha is not the great wing defender he was before and he is not the best 3/D guy for you as he only shot 31% from 3PT which is not the greatest at all...

Asik only had a horrible season because he was playing behind Dwight Howard, now on this San Jose team he is the anchor of our defense and will provide 10-10 for San Jose in this series.C'mon man! I didn't stoop to that about Gallo. They are both supposed to be 100% in this and Kobe was closer his best more recently than Gallo. He's also a much fiercer competitor who is more likely to do whatever it takes to make it back 100%. If I have a downgraded Kobe you should have negative points for Glasso.

I wonder if people would have liked WC more with MCW at PG, Livingston at SG, and Kobe at SF. Gallo is a question mark as well and assuming health you would have to give Kobe the big edge there.

As much as I think WC got the raw end of the stick in the redraft, San Jose is still too balanced for them. It will be interesting to see if that Gallo/Granger combo ever comes under heavy attack as they move deeper through the playoffs.I thought I should have been a 3 or 4 seed in my conference. The funny thing is I would have probably been 13th without DQ's lol. I don't know the criteria that goes in to having a good re-draft team. I think a lot of the guys in it are like a little club and I'm not a part of it or something. Everyone ignores my 2 star players and just points out the weaknesses. Every team has garbage players for the most part. I'm not sure another team had a better 1,2 punch than Blake and Kobe.

Gallo counts as a negative at this point. He has always been a low efficient fg shooter who is slightly above average from 3. His defense wasn't the greatest when healthy, and I doubt it has improved since being so injury prone.

Asik is a black hole offensively. Sure he is efficient, but if a player dunks a couple times a game, it doesn't make him a great and efficient scorer... there isn't enough data because of his lack of offensive production. I also don't see Asik protecting the rim for 48 minutes. Outside of Asik, his roster is filled with sub-par defenders/rim protectors. Asik guarding Blake would be a huge mistake. He is too slow for Blake outside the painted area; on the low block it's fine though. With Bosh forced into guarding Blake, I doubt Bosh is efficient and is able to rebound like his Toronto days. It's funny... "Kobe isn't the same player anymore" when he hasn't played a full season, but we are suppose to ignore and assume that Gallo will be the same inefficient scorer (good from 3 though) and guard Kobe well enough to make him inefficient, and Asik will produce like he did a couple seasons ago when he had 30 minutes a game, and Bosh will put up numbers like his Toronto days. To me, I think it's a safer assumption Kobe puts up numbers similar to the season previously, than any of those other assumptions.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Can a brotha get a vote?

clehmun
09-25-2014, 12:33 AM
C'mon man! I didn't stoop to that about Gallo. They are both supposed to be 100% in this and Kobe was closer his best more recently than Gallo. He's also a much fiercer competitor who is more likely to do whatever it takes to make it back 100%. If I have a downgraded Kobe you should have negative points for Glasso.

I thought I should have been a 3 or 4 seed in my conference. The funny thing is I would have probably been 13th without DQ's lol. I don't know the criteria that goes in to having a good re-draft team. I think a lot of the guys in it are like a little club and I'm not a part of it or something. Everyone ignores my 2 star players and just points out the weaknesses. Every team has garbage players for the most part. I'm not sure another team had a better 1,2 punch than Blake and Kobe.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Can a brotha get a vote?

I like my Tim Duncan and Derrick Rose... :p

valade16
09-25-2014, 10:51 AM

This is perplexing to me. The last time he did that was 4 years ago. That is a long time. The last time Bosh averaged 20/10 the Kobe Bryant Lakers were Champions...

Is he still a good player? Sure. But to expect him to just do exactly as he did on the same efficiency to what he was 4-5 years ago seems ridiculous? Can we do that with any other player?

Matter.
09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
This is perplexing to me. The last time he did that was 4 years ago. That is a long time. The last time Bosh averaged 20/10 the Kobe Bryant Lakers were Champions...

Is he still a good player? Sure. But to expect him to just do exactly as he did on the same efficiency to what he was 4-5 years ago seems ridiculous? Can we do that with any other player?

What? He was playing as a third option behind Lebron and Wade for the past 4 years... and when Lebron was out he performed, do you not remember vs your Portland Trailblazers...

valade16
09-25-2014, 11:31 AM
What? He was playing as a third option behind Lebron and Wade for the past 4 years... and when Lebron was out he performed, do you not remember vs your Portland Trailblazers...

Yeah, but 4 years is a long time. A long time. To expect him to just pick up where he left off without missing a beat seems a bit optimistic.

As for what he did against my Portland Trail Blazers. One good game is not exactly definitive. Can anyone else use 1 game to justify excellence from all their players?

Matter.
09-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah, but 4 years is a long time. A long time. To expect him to just pick up where he left off without missing a beat seems a bit optimistic.

As for what he did against my Portland Trail Blazers. One good game is not exactly definitive. Can anyone else use 1 game to justify excellence from all their players?

It took him 1 game to get back in form 8-)

We also have Goran Dragic who is a excellent NUMBER 2 Option and we also have Monta Ellis who is capable of putting up big scoring numbers!

Redrum187
09-25-2014, 01:34 PM

We understand what he did 4 years ago. In basketball years, that is a long time. One can lump his sub-par rebounding to "third fiddle", but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm sure it will be blamed on LeBron and Wade hogging on the rebounds. If this is true, Ibaka would have 20 rebounds a game if Durant and Westbrook weren't on the team.

You have to be pretty insanely optimistic to think he's going to be a double-double machine at this point. I can, however, see him getting 20 a night. 20/6-7 type of guy on good efficiency. But I suppose that is all one has to do, state what he did as the number 1 option a really long time ago on a crap squad and it should automatically translate over into your current redraft team. If people buy it, I am opening a car lot and you are working for me!

Redrum187
09-25-2014, 01:40 PM
It took him 1 game to get back in form 8-)

We also have Goran Dragic who is a excellent NUMBER 2 Option and we also have Monta Ellis who is capable of putting up big scoring numbers!

Neither of them play defense, both require the ball to be most effective. Dragic had one really amazing year offensively. Is this an outlier, or is this going to be the norm now? No one can really say for sure, but I would say he plays good but not as good as last season. No one knows for sure though but it isn't a home run that this is the normal. Tyreke Evans had one super awesome season, it didn't follow through the next. I could give many many many many more, but I think the point has been made.

Matter.
09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Neither of them play defense, both require the ball to be most effective. Dragic had one really amazing year offensively. Is this an outlier, or is this going to be the norm now? No one can really say for sure, but I would say he plays good but not as good as last season. No one knows for sure though but it isn't a home run that this is the normal. Tyreke Evans had one super awesome season, it didn't follow through the next. I could give many many many many more, but I think the point has been made.

If you OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE that Dragic has been improving throughout his career and last season he became one of the top 40 players in the league WHILE CARRYING a Suns squad to 49 wins (i think). Also, even if you say Bosh cannot get 10 rebounds i still have Asik who can grab boards easily for me and Bosh WILL get his 20 Points.

Redrum187
09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
If you OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE that Dragic has been improving throughout his career and last season he became one of the top 40 players in the league WHILE CARRYING a Suns squad to 49 wins (i think). Also, even if you say Bosh cannot get 10 rebounds i still have Asik who can grab boards easily for me and Bosh WILL get his 20 Points.

There isn't a question of Dragic progressing, it's a question of how good he is and will continue to be. It's a question mark. I understand if you are thinking he is MOST DEFINITELY WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT going to produce and be as good as he was last season, but can you really blame anyone for being skeptical?

That's fine about Asik getting the boards, but you still have yet to respond about the no defensive team you have. You have one elite defender surrounded by defensive liabilities.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 08:58 PM
why isn't MCW starting? WC is one shooter short also. that team needs a floor spreader.

I think Kobe eats San Jose alive. not one elite wing defender to body him up.

Cracka2HI!
09-25-2014, 09:24 PM
why isn't MCW starting? WC is one shooter short also. that team needs a floor spreader.

I think Kobe eats San Jose alive. not one elite wing defender to body him up.

This re-draft was about role players and PG's. MCW basically had negative value as a starter due to inexperience. I thought if I put him on the bench at least the re-drafters couldn't say he'd get eaten up by the backups. Livingston is solid and actually got a lot more credit for me. I do wish I had that shooter tho. I agree that Kobe would crush this team and so would Blake, but again this re-draft was about role players and PG's and he does have that over me.

Bruno
09-25-2014, 09:26 PM
This re-draft was about role players and PG's. MCW basically had negative value so I thought if I put him on the bench at least the re-drafters couldn't say he'd get eaten up by the backups. Livingston is solid and actually got a lot more credit for me. I do wish I had that shooter tho. I agree that Kobe would crush this team and so would Blake, but again this re-draft was about role players and PG's and he does have that over me.

interesting. i think you're team is being slept on- by the voting.

Cracka2HI!
09-25-2014, 10:06 PM
^ I wouldn't have even made the playoffs without DQ's. Look at these votes I got. 10th was dead last. I'm pretty sure people saw Popeye Jones and Mike James on my roster where Blake Griffin and Kobe Bryant are.

8.West Covina 8+9+9+3+8+6+9+7+10+10+7+5+10 = 101

Shammyguy3
09-25-2014, 11:19 PM
a redraft is supposed to make teams close in talent level; this is a matchup that i ended up voting for San Jose, but I don't think West Covina is that terrible of a team. This was a pretty good matchup for WC, just didn't turn out the way it could have if we had seen kobe playing in the USA games or something like that

Lucky.
09-26-2014, 12:03 PM
This re-draft was about role players and PG's. MCW basically had negative value as a starter due to inexperience. I thought if I put him on the bench at least the re-drafters couldn't say he'd get eaten up by the backups. Livingston is solid and actually got a lot more credit for me. I do wish I had that shooter tho. I agree that Kobe would crush this team and so would Blake, but again this re-draft was about role players and PG's and he does have that over me.

^ I wouldn't have even made the playoffs without DQ's. Look at these votes I got. 10th was dead last. I'm pretty sure people saw Popeye Jones and Mike James on my roster where Blake Griffin and Kobe Bryant are.

8.West Covina 8+9+9+3+8+6+9+7+10+10+7+5+10 = 101

I'd imagine you were ranked low because people didn't/don't know what to expect form Kobe, which you can't blame them for. You're supposed to assume full health in these games but it's difficult to do with a player like Derrick Rose or even Kobe Bryant at this point. That's how majority of the people in these games will think, which again, you can't blame them. Now, if you were to think Kobe was less than 100% (obviously you don't, but say if you were), would you think your team would be good? Same thing applies for the Rose team. That's not a shot at you or the GM of the Rose team, it's just the risk you take when taking a player like that.

With that said, it would be ridiculous to argue against an injury or someone not being 100% at this point. If that's the reason people are voting against you now, that's just ridiculous. If you managed to make the playoffs, regardless of how those people thought of Kobe through voting, it's pretty obvious Kobe is 100% at this point, otherwise you wouldn't have made the playoffs. Now me, personally, still voted for SJ.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-26-2014, 11:51 PM

It's pretty much a guarantee now that Bosh is a 20 and 10 player as the man on the team.

Cracka2HI!
09-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I'd imagine you were ranked low because people didn't/don't know what to expect form Kobe, which you can't blame them for. You're supposed to assume full health in these games but it's difficult to do with a player like Derrick Rose or even Kobe Bryant at this point. That's how majority of the people in these games will think, which again, you can't blame them. Now, if you were to think Kobe was less than 100% (obviously you don't, but say if you were), would you think your team would be good? Same thing applies for the Rose team. That's not a shot at you or the GM of the Rose team, it's just the risk you take when taking a player like that.

With that said, it would be ridiculous to argue against an injury or someone not being 100% at this point. If that's the reason people are voting against you now, that's just ridiculous. If you managed to make the playoffs, regardless of how those people thought of Kobe through voting, it's pretty obvious Kobe is 100% at this point, otherwise you wouldn't have made the playoffs. Now me, personally, still voted for SJ.

I agree that is most likely what happened. It's just not supposed to. It's all good. I was never really unhappy with the outcome of this series. I accidently voted for my own conference and had San Jose as the 1 seed. I was more unhappy with where my team finished in the voting. I don't think I should have had to face the #1 seed in Round 1 but it's all good. No point arguing now. Congrats Matter you do have the better team.

Matter.
09-27-2014, 02:49 PM
I agree that is most likely what happened. It's just not supposed to. It's all good. I was never really unhappy with the outcome of this series. I accidently voted for my own conference and had San Jose as the 1 seed. I was more unhappy with where my team finished in the voting. I don't think I should have had to face the #1 seed in Round 1 but it's all good. No point arguing now. Congrats Matter you do have the better team.

Thanks Congrats to you to!

BranWingss
09-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Congrats Matter? Congrats BranWingss

Chronz
09-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Is this over? If not i vote west covina