PDA

View Full Version : Best Spot for Ricky Rubio

TheNumber37
09-22-2014, 10:31 AM
The wolves appear to be in no hurry to sign Rubio to am extension before October 31st. It looks like they want to see what Zach lavine does before setting a value to Rubio. Or just let some team set the price and match, or over pay and let him go...

Somehow I see his time with them closing.. Which team do you think is the best fit for him?
Should he stay in Minny or get a fresh start elsewhere.

I think he'd be a good fit on a team who already has a starting caliber PG, that he can play in tandem with.

He'd be a good fit on the Mavericks, Blazers, Nets, Lakers, Nuggets

goingfor28
09-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Spain

MonroeFAN
09-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Honestly, yeah... Spain. He will never be a top starting option here if he can't shoot. I'm not suggesting he's completely without skills, he has nice vision and is a good defender.

I don't see the benefit of a team like Denver or Portland paying him the type of money he will want only to take the ball away from their star players. I can see a case being made for the other teams mentioned, but not at anything more than 8 mill per season.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-22-2014, 11:15 AM
He probably be exciting for the Bucks with some defense and some fancy passes. But you could say the same thing him staying with Wolves throwing lobs to Wiggins and Lavine. But depending on the cost of the trade and his new contract demands after the trade. Is he still asking for max? Him and Sanders defense would be awesome.

But I wouldn't rock the boat trading for him. If it only took the Clippers pick and maybe eating bad contract of JJ I probably do it. But if Wolves wanted lots more then forget it. Since we have a lesser cheaper talent that can throw some fancy passes in Marshall as well on $800K. Marshall less of a defender and more slow footed but bargain bin and close friends with Henson.

I could see the Bucks as the third team in the trade. Since we have Clippers pick and we have Suns fan favorite in Dudley. Also we have $6.7M in capspace to eat a bad contract as well. Also few unguaranteed contracts to boot as well to get us up to $8M. But as the Bucks shouldn't be coughing up to much more in the trade since were not getting the best player in the trade.

bleedprple&gold
09-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Spain

I agree. If this guys thinks he's worth the max reality is going to hit him very hard when the nba contracts don't come at that price and he may have no choice but to go back.

TheNumber37
09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
For Rubio?
20 million over 4 years maybe

Hawkeye15
09-22-2014, 01:15 PM
The wolves appear to be in no hurry to sign Rubio to am extension before October 31st. It looks like they want to see what Zach lavine does before setting a value to Rubio. Or just let some team set the price and match, or over pay and let him go...

Somehow I see his time with them closing.. Which team do you think is the best fit for him?

I think he'd be a good fit on a team who already has a starting caliber PG, that he can play in tandem with.

that isn't it at all, not even close. Rubio's agent is demanding the max. The Wolves are not going to pay that. Rubio needs to take a massive leap forward to command that. He will hit RFA most likely, and his value will be set by the market. No matter how good of a passer/defender Rubio is, you don't give a max contract to a guy who can't make a layup or hit a 15 footer.

muelly
09-22-2014, 01:23 PM
He probably be exciting for the Bucks with some defense and some fancy passes. But you could say the same thing him staying with Wolves throwing lobs to Wiggins and Lavine. But depending on the cost of the trade and his new contract demands after the trade. Is he still asking for max? Him and Sanders defense would be awesome.

But I wouldn't rock the boat trading for him. If it only took the Clippers pick and maybe eating bad contract of JJ I probably do it. But if Wolves wanted lots more then forget it. Since we have a lesser cheaper talent that can throw some fancy passes in Marshall as well on $800K. Marshall less of a defender and more slow footed but bargain bin and close friends with Henson.

I could see the Bucks as the third team in the trade. Since we have Clippers pick and we have Suns fan favorite in Dudley. Also we have $6.7M in capspace to eat a bad contract as well. Also few unguaranteed contracts to boot as well to get us up to $8M. But as the Bucks shouldn't be coughing up to much more in the trade since were not getting the best player in the trade.

As a Bucks it's intriguing. Just not sure I want to pay him what he wants. He certainly would be a welcome addition as he could help setup our young guys. I'm interested to see if Marshall's creativity can be of help first. Bucks haven't had a good setup man in years. Still need a shooter or two, hoping Mayo/Ilyasova can return to form they appear to be staying put for time being.

muelly
09-22-2014, 01:25 PM
that isn't it at all, not even close. Rubio's agent is demanding the max. The Wolves are not going to pay that. Rubio needs to take a massive leap forward to command that. He will hit RFA most likely, and his value will be set by the market. No matter how good of a passer/defender Rubio is, you don't give a max contract to a guy who can't make a layup or hit a 15 footer.

Fully agree. And to add to my previous post, if the Bucks gave him a max I'd be sick. Even if he were Rondo, he still can't win on his own.

MrfadeawayJB
09-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Dallas or Knicks seem most intriguing

KnicksorBust
09-22-2014, 06:06 PM
He needs to play a team with an all-star big man who can carry the offensive scoring, preferably a perimeter threat as well.
He needs to play with a talented shooter at SG (preferably a 38.7% 3pt or better)
He needs to play with an athletic wing who can score in transition.
And in a dream world he'd also have a C who could score in the high teens.

With all those things nothing could stop Rubio from winning at least 40 games. Oh wait.

Mr. Baller
09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
The bench

BallIsAll
09-22-2014, 10:03 PM
He needs to play a team with an all-star big man who can carry the offensive scoring, preferably a perimeter threat as well.
He needs to play with a talented shooter at SG (preferably a 38.7% 3pt or better)

With all those things nothing could stop Rubio from winning at least 40 games. Oh wait.

38.7% is pretty specific lol

Shammyguy3
09-22-2014, 10:39 PM

:laugh:

WSU Tony
09-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Posters who are misguided bug me. It's not that the wolves aren't "in a hurry" to sign him, his agent is asking for the max. Now, if you were the wolves and rubios agent will only take a max contract, how to big of a "hurry" would you be in?

smith&wesson
09-22-2014, 11:29 PM

in all fairness Rubio isn't a very good NBA player. there are about 20 other pg's id prefer to have over him.

paul
curry
parker
westbrook
irving
rose
rondo
lawson
lillard
dragic
lowry
wall
bledsoe
conley
walker
holiday
knight
teague
d.will
collision

and I'm sure im missing some.

Rubio is one of the worst shooters... I don't care how well he passes, when you cant shoot you make the defenders job so much easier. I personally think Calderon was a better overall pg in his prime than what Rubio is today. imo.

smith&wesson
09-22-2014, 11:33 PM

boom

Munkeysuit
09-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Lakers

THE MTL
09-22-2014, 11:53 PM

Lol that's pretty much what every NBA team needs

Bruno
09-22-2014, 11:56 PM

Lakers

the bucks and Lakers can offer similar packages. they both own other teams first round picks. Lakers have three nine million dollar expiring contracts in Nash, Lin and Hill. the lakers couldn't get an all-star so they loaded up with expirings and picks so they can throw their hat into three team deals for disgruntled borderline all-stars at the deadline. I'm all for it I think developing a poor mans Stockton/Malone with Rubio/Randle is a good start to a rebuild while the Lakers wait for the next TV deal.

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Dallas seems like a place where Ricky Rubio could mostly defend other point guards and pass the ball to all the other scorers. Jason Kidd won a title on that team only scoring 10 a game, although he shot 4 percent better from the field and 9 percent better from beyond the arc.
But I think Rubio would do well passing to all those shooters and Monta Ellis. The downside is that a back court of Ellis and Rubio isn't much of an outside scoring threat. But Dallas has forwards who are great shooters and a shooting guard who can almost get to the rim at will.
Point guard and center would seriously be an offensive dead zone, but they'd also be the two positions where Dallas is best defensively. If push comes to shove, let Ellis handle the ball and assign Rubio to stick to the opposing team's best back court player.

bleedprple&gold
09-23-2014, 02:32 AM

38.7% is pretty specific lol

38.6% just won't cut it.

IBleedPurple
09-23-2014, 04:58 AM

He would be a number 3 PG (Lawson/Robinson), and number 3 SG (Afflalo/Foye) on the Nuggets. The semi-bust should probably pack his bags.

As mentioned, Spain.

latinofire21
09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Honestly I think Rubio still is a starting point guard in this league. He has had a bad couple years in Minnesota but I blame that more on the franchise then on the player. He was brought into a losing culture with a really bad front office. (I will still never forget the drafting of 3 point guards in the first round). Then they are already in the West which is ultracompetitive and they had injury problems. When you lose that much it takes a toll on your mind and I believe any team that picks him up will see much better production. I think its in the best interest of both parties just to sever ties.

Minnesota should let go of all the guys they have had in the Kevin Love era and start fresh. You got some new cornerstones and possibly Bledsoe. Get rid of the locker room that's accustomed to losing and start fresh. That's my opinion.

nycericanguy
09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Not only do I think Rubio is a starter, I still think he'll be a star in this league.

He's a big PG that can defend, rebound, and pass the hell out of the ball. Shooting is his only weakness, but he's still only 23, and at least he makes up for it somewhat by getting to the FT line a lot. He shot 33% from 3 last year, if he can get that up to around 36% that would help his game a lot.

Jason Kidd's first 3 year shooting %'s are almost identical to Rubio.

I still think Rubio has that Jason Kidd type potential, and even though his lack of shooting isn't ideal for the triangle, he's a guy I wouldn't mind taking a chance on in NY. Give me Rubio and Marc and NY is set.

ewing
09-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Spain

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Honestly I think Rubio still is a starting point guard in this league. He has had a bad couple years in Minnesota but I blame that more on the franchise then on the player. He was brought into a losing culture with a really bad front office. (I will still never forget the drafting of 3 point guards in the first round). Then they are already in the West which is ultracompetitive and they had injury problems. When you lose that much it takes a toll on your mind and I believe any team that picks him up will see much better production. I think its in the best interest of both parties just to sever ties.

Minnesota should let go of all the guys they have had in the Kevin Love era and start fresh. You got some new cornerstones and possibly Bledsoe. Get rid of the locker room that's accustomed to losing and start fresh. That's my opinion.

I get that, but how is it anyone's fault that Rubio can't score anywhere on the floor? Anywhere. If he didn't draw fouls and hit free throws, his TS% would get him arrested.

He needs a GIANT leap forward to demand anything quite frankly. And his excuses are over. Now he has the athletic, above the rim players so many claim he needs to succeed.

I have watched nearly every NBA game he has played. He has made no improvement really, and still absolutely kills us late in games.

ombada
09-23-2014, 09:48 AM
The indiana pacers. Once George comes back, slide hill to SG.

PG - Rubio
SG - Hill
SF - George
PF - West
C - Hibbert

It opens up hill to be more aggressive and puts him back in a more natural spot. With natural shooters on the floor he won't need to shoot well. Just penetrate and dish.

Tony_Starks
09-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Would love to see him go to the Rockets and hear their fans convince us he's a top 10 pg.....

Ty Fast
09-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Rockets or Mavs

PurpleLynch
09-23-2014, 01:43 PM
His agent shouldn't ask for a max:Rubio didn't showed anything to make him worth of a max contract. Maybe a 5-6 million per year.
Said that,the Knicks could be a good fit,but the triangle doesn't fit his game imo.

todu82
09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
As others have said, Spain.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 01:50 PM
His agent shouldn't ask for a max:Rubio didn't showed anything to make him worth of a max contract. Maybe a 5-6 million per year.
Said that,the Knicks could be a good fit,but the triangle doesn't fit his game imo.

Rubio is the worst possible PG for the triangle. Like, you can't make a worse one if you tried..

TheNumber37
09-23-2014, 02:04 PM
It is well Documented that Jason Kidd couldn't shoot, much like Rubio.
That's where the comparisons should end

Kidd was a one man fast break, with better, defense, passing, rebounding and leadership.

TheNumber37
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
I like the idea of Kobe having to deal with a Lin/Rubio backcourt.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 02:06 PM

Kidd was a one man fast break, with better, defense, passing, rebounding and leadership.

Kidd could make a layup though, and became an excellent spot up shooter later in his career.

Rubio matches Kidd in passing easily, and while he isn't quite the rebounder or defender Kidd was, Rubio is elite at both for his position.

But his utter lack of scoring efficiency (forget the jumper, he can't make layups) just kills him

FlashBolt
09-23-2014, 02:49 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't even take Rubio for $5 million. He is just God awful on his offensive end of the game. There needs to be a contingency where he never shoots and is only allowed to pass. You think Rondo is bad at offense, Rubio makes Rondo look like KD. Also, seems to me that Rubio is a locker room problem sort of player. He calls out Love and demands the max? If I was an owner, I wouldn't want someone who misses layups talking crap and demanding top dollar. I have a reason to believe that Minny would have made the playoffs if Rubio wasn't such a liability on the offensive end. Man, if Ricky could shoot like Nash, he would be a top 5 PG.

nycericanguy
09-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Rubio can pass the hell out of the ball, and he can defend and rebounds really well for his position. Leadership? Kid is 23 years old... and a EURO player who generally take a bit longer to find their game.

Kidd might very well be slightly better at all of those, but if Rubio can even be 75% of what prime Kidd was, that's a hell of a player. Kidd is an all time great.

Look at Dragic, he was nothing but average for 6-7 years but slowly improved to the point where he was an MVP candidate last year.

nycericanguy
09-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Rubio is the worst possible PG for the triangle. Like, you can't make a worse one if you tried..

He's one guy I wouldn't mind taking a chance on though, especially if he improves his shot just a little this season. he just seems like he can be a game changing type player if he puts it together.

PJ loves big guards and Rubio is a big PG and has bulked up. A lot of teams are running two PG's out there these days also... would it be crazy to think a Rubio/Calderon backcourt could work for a year or two?

FlashBolt
09-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Rubio can pass the hell out of the ball, and he can defend and rebounds really well for his position. Leadership? Kid is 23 years old... and a EURO player who generally take a bit longer to find their game.

Kidd might very well be slightly better at all of those, but if Rubio can even be 75% of what prime Kidd was, that's a hell of a player. Kidd is an all time great.

Look at Dragic, he was nothing but average for 6-7 years but slowly improved to the point where he was an MVP candidate last year.

Are you kidding me? Dragic had to play behind Nash - who was considered a top 5 PG. He then went to Houston and had to play behind Lowry and other players who required the ball such as Parsons/Kevin Martin. The past two seasons were the only ones in which Dragic had more control. Rubio always had control of Minny and 3 years in, he's still missing layups and can't seem to be able to knock down an easy jumper. No excuses for him.. He's only 23 but in a league in which PG's are running the show, he's not even top 15...

Wall
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Lowry
Conley
Irving
Curry
Rondo
Parker
Lawson
Lillard
Kemba
Holiday
Thomas

Tony_Starks
09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm not as down on Rubio as most. His game is definitely flawed but I'm of the opinion he's a really good coach away from taking his game to another level.

The holes in his game are very fixable, it's not like he's a scrub.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
He's one guy I wouldn't mind taking a chance on though, especially if he improves his shot just a little this season. he just seems like he can be a game changing type player if he puts it together.

PJ loves big guards and Rubio is a big PG and has bulked up. A lot of teams are running two PG's out there these days also... would it be crazy to think a Rubio/Calderon backcourt could work for a year or two?

question: Offensively, what is the PG's job in the triangle?

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm not as down on Rubio as most. His game is definitely flawed but I'm of the opinion he's a really good coach away from taking his game to another level.

The holes in his game are very fixable, it's not like he's a scrub.

no, he is one summer of not going overseas wasting time dribbling around for Spain and working with a ****ing shooting instructor from being a lot better. And he has had very good coaches, he needs to work on individual parts of his game a lot more than the team aspect he always has. The NBA is much more about 1-1. He needs to rework his entire shot, and then start drilling in hard, purposeful drives versus his drives now where he only shoots a layup if he is wide open, and if there is any challenge, he just flails and bricks it.

Rubio needs to improve individually. He has had a professional coach for 8 years. It's on him now.

nycericanguy
09-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Are you kidding me? Dragic had to play behind Nash - who was considered a top 5 PG. He then went to Houston and had to play behind Lowry and other players who required the ball such as Parsons/Kevin Martin. The past two seasons were the only ones in which Dragic had more control. Rubio always had control of Minny and 3 years in, he's still missing layups and can't seem to be able to knock down an easy jumper. No excuses for him.. He's only 23 but in a league in which PG's are running the show, he's not even top 15...

Wall
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Lowry
Conley
Irving
Curry
Rondo
Parker
Lawson
Lillard
Kemba
Holiday
Thomas

Dragic has been getting substantial minutes for 3 years now, if you're good you're going to play... period. Coaches will find minutes for you. Just like Bledsoe & Dragic both played together last year. But up until last year he was just about an average PG. It took him a while, it took Lowry a while, it took Billups a while...Calderon as well... list goes on and on... PG is not an easy position.

People forget Rubio missed half of his rookie year with injury, and then played in the lockout season his 2nd year. He only has 180 games played in his career, a little more than 2 seasons. I'm amazed how quickly some have given up on him.

FlashBolt
09-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Dragic has been getting substantial minutes for 3 years now, if you're good you're going to play... period. Coaches will find minutes for you. Just like Bledsoe & Dragic both played together last year. But up until last year he was just about an average PG. It took him a while, it took Lowry a while, it took Billups a while...Calderon as well... list goes on and on... PG is not an easy position.

People forget Rubio missed half of his rookie year with injury, and then played in the lockout season his 2nd year. He only has 180 games played in his career, a little more than 2 seasons. I'm amazed how quickly some have given up on him.

Dragic played behind Nash in a well orchestrated Phoenix team. No way Dragic was getting big minutes. No way Rubio who can't score would get any more minutes Dragic gets at Phoenix especially since he can't even spread the floor like Nash could. And last season Dragic was by far better than Rubio ever was... Dragic had to share time with Lowry in Houston..

nycericanguy
09-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Dragic played behind Nash in a well orchestrated Phoenix team. No way Dragic was getting big minutes. No way Rubio who can't score would get any more minutes Dragic gets at Phoenix especially since he can't even spread the floor like Nash could. And last season Dragic was by far better than Rubio ever was... Dragic had to share time with Lowry in Houston..

I said the past 3 years he got big minutes, but even behind Nash he got 18mpg, so it's not like he was glued to the bench.

And yes Dragic was better than 99% of NBA players last year, but it was also his 7th season.

Irrelevant, but Rubio would have absolutely gotten minutes under D'antoni in PHO, are you kidding me? That 7SOL offense with the P&R with Rubio would be dynamite. Lin can't shoot, neither can Felton, but both those guys put up monster numbers in that system.

amak316
09-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Rubio should be a negative asset at this point, he just has deficiencies you can't have at the deepest position in the NBA. No team has a need for the player he was last year. He is just a big name that some dumb teams will give far too many chances to before heading back to Spain unless he can figure out fundamental things that he hasn't been able to figure out in the decades of basketball he already has under his belt.

I would love to see him become the player everyone hoped he would become, and preferably in Minnesota as their fans deserve some success, but I'm not optimistic.

Sly Guy
09-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I stay away from rubio if I'm a GM. Reasons being:

1. a PG is the position on the floor with the most offensive responsibilities, and with such a glaring hole in his game on that end of the floor (shooting), I would be hesitant to bring him on as my starter
2. Shooting is the most easily teachable/learn-able skill in basketball. All it takes is him to go into the gym for a summer and shoot jumper after jumper. But if his years in the NBA so far, we have not seen any significant improvement in this aspect of his game
3. Headaches. Instead of hearing how rubio's improving, we're only hearing demands from his agent. About being unhappy about where he is in the NBA, about how he wants more money. Quite frankly, his agent's actions make him out to seem like a diva when he's done almost nothing to earn that kind of treatment.

I'm not a rubio fan. He can turn it around in his career, but up to this point I've seen little that will make that happen, and absolutely nothing that would make me offer him the max.

WSU Tony
09-23-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm not denying that Rubio has shooting deficiencies but scoring IS one of the most easily replaceable stats. Remember, the NBA is a league where everyone wants to shoot all the time. As long as Rubio takes no more than 6-7 shots a game his low shooting percentages don't hurt as badly as people make it seem. Besides, he's one of the best at the most important game changing NBA stat - steals.

For those of you who love to value 20 point per night volume shooters - I recommend you read this article.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-hidden-value-of-the-nba-steal/

To say Rubio has "negative" value (like a poster above did) is crazy.

abe_froman
09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
i think phx would be a great spot.all he'd have to do is set people up,which he's great at

though reading this thread,i find the complete 180 view on pgs from a couple years ago quite funny(pg that scores is crap,all one should ever do is pass.to now-passing is crap,and has no value,scoring is the only value lol)

THE MTL
09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I think Rubio is demanding so much in order to get out of minny. There is no way he is worth that amount of money and i think he even knows it.

TheNumber37
09-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Dragic has played way better than Rubio to start his career.
Kidd was a leader at a young age.

Tony_Starks
09-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I think Rubios poor shooting is a bit overblown. He needs to improve it yes but honestly he'll probably never be a good shooter. Rondos jumper is still broke but he found other ways to be effective. Kidd was called Ason for years because he had no J. It happens, eventually I'm sure he can get it respectable.

I'd be more concerned with him driving and finishing than his shot.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
I think Rubios poor shooting is a bit overblown. He needs to improve it yes but honestly he'll probably never be a good shooter. Rondos jumper is still broke but he found other ways to be effective. Kidd was called Ason for years because he had no J. It happens, eventually I'm sure he can get it respectable.

I'd be more concerned with him driving and finishing than his shot.

yes, that is my beef. Make a ****ing layup, before you ask for max money..

ewing
09-24-2014, 09:55 AM
you can be a drive and kick guy if no one defends your drives

Hawkeye15
09-24-2014, 11:48 AM
you can be a drive and kick guy if no one defends your drives

I assume you meant "can't", but exactly. Half the time he shoots at the rim, its because he has exhausted every possible opportunity to get the ball out of his hands, and he chucks up a rushed layup because he has nothing else to do.

Tony_Starks
09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in the backcourt with Westbrook, scoring combo guard type. Let's them get off the ball to free them up, while taking all scoring pressure off Ricky. Just strictly setting the table...

Raps18-19 Champ
09-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Just let him run freely with Wiggins and Lavine in the open court.

WSU Tony
09-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Just let him run freely with Wiggins and Lavine in the open court.

The half court offense shouldn't be an issue. The other, roughly, 70% of the offense will be though.

I think Rubio is demanding so much in order to get out of minny. There is no way he is worth that amount of money and i think he even knows it.

I think you're right....

slashsnake
09-26-2014, 12:54 AM

Best spot for Rubio? About 2 feet from the basket if you are hoping for him to make a shot...

Ok, honestly I like that. Pair him with a combo guard. The scoring points. Of course one issue that you have there is that he dominates the ball (as a PG should) and that is something they are used to as well. Pair him up next to Curry and just send him on screens all day though... I like that still

lamzoka
09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I remembered when the Knicks was begging the Wolves for Rubio. He didn't wanna play in Minnesota at first. Donnie Walsh was willing to give up a lot for him, but David Khan turned him down.

Oefarmy2005
09-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I remembered when the Knicks was begging the Wolves for Rubio. He didn't wanna play in Minnesota at first. Donnie Walsh was willing to give up a lot for him, but David Khan turned him down.

Huh? What exactly was a lot?