PDA

View Full Version : which NBA Era wins a series vs the others

ThuglifeJ
09-20-2014, 02:23 AM
Out of all the eras, past and present, which team stacks up the best to win a series versus the others. Each player at their respected stage of their career in those eras, please factor in their entire careers during those stretches - i.e. Paul Pierce was great in 08, but has dropped in ability significantly the past few years, therefore he's more valuable in the early 2000s era team.
Often injured players (Grant Hills and Derrick Roses) get asterisks and get injured half way through the series. Some player's peaks fall within transition periods and get a bit of the shaft, just the way it is. Try to consider that Jordan of the 90s trumps an early Jordan of late 80s due to his entire career and ability during those stretches.

I'll stick to what I'm most comfortable making (early 2000s, current) and let other posters help me fill out the 90s better, 80s, 70s, and 60s, which I will edit in simultaneously.

These are not ultra accurate depth charts, more so organizing by position

Modern Day: 'Lebron's Legacy' (~2008-current)
PG:Chris Paul, Stephen Curry, Rajon Rondo, John Wall, Damian Lillard, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose*
SG:Paul George, James Harden, Goran Dragic, Demar Derozen, Dwyane Wade(older), Kobe Bryant(old)*
SF:Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Andre Iguodala, Kawhi Leonard
PFBlake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, Lamarcus Aldridge, Dirk Nowitzki, Zach Randolph, Chris Bosh
C Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, Demarcus Cousins, Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan(old)

Early 2000s: 'The Next Jordan?' (~1999-2006)
PG:Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Steve Francis, Tony Parker, Mike Bibby, Jason Williams, Stephon Marbury, Baron Davis
SG:Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Dwyane Wade(early), Richard Hamilton, Michael Jordan(wizards),
SF:Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce, Lebron James(early), Carmelo Anthony(early), Shawn Marion, Ron Artest
PF:Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Webber, Amare Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace, Kenyon Martin
C:Shaquille O'Neal, Ben Wallace, Yao Ming, Jermaine O'Neal, Dikembe Mutumbo, Pau Gasol, Alonzo Mourning

The 90s: 'Michael Jordan-The Greatest of All Time' (~1989-1998)
PG:Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Gary Payton, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway*
SG:Michael Jordan, Joe Dumars, Kevin Johnson, Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond, Reggie Miller
SF:Shawn Kemp, Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill*, Latrell Sprewell
PF:Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman
C:Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Alonzo Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal(early), Dikembe Mutumbo,

The 80s: 'Magic vs Bird' (~1979-1989)
PG:Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas
SG:George Gervin, Adrian Dantley, Michael Jordan(early)
SF:Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King, James Worthy, Alex English
PF:Kevin Mchale, Charles Barkley(early)
C:Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwan, Kareem Abdul Jabaar(older), Bill Laimbeer, Jack Sikma

The 70s: ' '

The 60s: ' '

*please don't overanalyze the starting and end dates for eras..or positions

jerellh528
09-20-2014, 02:46 AM
Early 2000s pretty easily

Dade County
09-20-2014, 02:47 AM
If foul calls are called fairly amongst the super stars, then the era that Wade is in; if not Jordan era rules all, because he is at the free throw line at this very moment, I am typing this.

PowerHouse
09-20-2014, 03:23 AM
For 80s centers you should include: Patrick Ewing, Robert Parish and Artis Gilmore

80s PGs should include John Stockton, Maurice Cheeks and Dennis Johnson

80s SGs should include Clyde Drexler, Sydney Moncrief and Walter Davis

80s PFs should include Karl Malone, Buck Williams and Terry Cummings

Youre good on the SFs, thats already a long-@$$ list

IKnowHoops
09-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Early 2000s pretty easily

ahahahahahahaha, someone was to young.

90's for sure.

Dream, Drob, Shaq, Ewing all in there Prime. Oh yeah Jordan. Game freaking over. With the quickness.

IKnowHoops
09-20-2014, 04:14 AM
Let me correct the 90's

PG Thomas, Stockton, Payton, Hardaway, KJ, Penny, Kidd
SG Jordan, Drexler, Richmond, Sprewell, R. Miller, J.Jackson
SF Pippen, Nique, Mullen, G. Hill, J.Mashburn
PF Malone, Barkley, Kemp, Webber, Rodman
C Dream, Drob, Shaq, Ewing, Mutumbo, Smits

NYKalltheway
09-20-2014, 07:37 AM
80s and 90s followed by 70s

KnicksorBust
09-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Great thread just because I love seeing all-decade teams.

You have to get Durant into that modern starting 5. :)

mightybosstone
09-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Magic Johnson played two years of his prime in the 90s. I would probably already be leaning pretty heavily toward voting for the 90s team, but when you throw Magic into the mix, it's no contest. This 12-man roster for an All-Decade team would be ridiculous:

PG: Magic Johnson / John Stockton / Isiah Thomas
SG: Michael Jordan / Gary Payton
SF: Scottie Pippen / Clyde Drexler
PF: Charles Barkley / Karl Malone
C: Hakeem Olajuwon / Shaquille O'Neal / David Robinson

That's 12 guys who are all easily top 50 All-time players, four guys who are probably top 10 and at least nine guys who are probably top 20. Now this roster wouldn't necessarily be a great fit on the floor because of floor spacing, but I'm assuming this isn't so much about finding guys who would play great together as it is about finding the most talented point in NBA history.

I will say that the 2000s is a close second...

PG: Chris Paul / Steve Nash / Jason Kidd
SG: Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade / Tracy McGrady
SF: Lebron James / Paul Pierce
PF: Kevin Garnett / Dirk Nowitzki
C: Shaquille O'Neal / Tim Duncan

All 12 of those guys are at least arguably top 50, with at least four guys in the top 10 discussion and seven guys in the top 20 discussion. Now in terms of actually fitting together, I think this roster is actually better than the 90s roster, but I wouldn't say it's quite as talented overall.

Edit: Forgot Wade.

ThuglifeJ
09-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Magic Johnson played two years of his prime in the 90s. I would probably already be leaning pretty heavily toward voting for the 90s team, but when you throw Magic into the mix, it's no contest. This 12-man roster for an All-Decade team would be ridiculous:

That's 12 guys who are all easily top 50 All-time players, four guys who are probably top 10 and at least nine guys who are probably top 20. Now this roster wouldn't necessarily be a great fit on the floor because of floor spacing, but I'm assuming this isn't so much about finding guys who would play great together as it is about finding the most talented point in NBA history.

SG: Kobe Bryant / Tracy McGrady / Allen Iverson

All 12 of those guys are at least arguably top 50, with at least four guys in the top 10 discussion and six guys in the top 20 discussion. Now in terms of actually fitting together, I think this roster is actually better than the 90s roster, but I wouldn't say it's quite as talented overall.

Take what you want from it. I said who would win, but I also had 30 man depth charts..so more so who overloads in talent. I'd put some emphasis on fit but when you have this much talent you might as well play a lot of these guys 10 minutes and stay completely fresh at all times.. Granted that could throw off rhythm, you could find a way to make a rotation work.

So yeah, probably 20% emphasis on fit, more on overload of talent.

tredigs
09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
If I'm starting Malone over Barkley (though I don't think I would), then I'm definitely starting Stockton over Zeke/Payton. Makes more sense for floor spacing, too.

On the same starting lineup you could have the Stockton/Malone PnR duo, the Jordan/Pippen GOAT defensive wing duo (nevermind that they were a little bit of alright on the other end), and Dream at Center. Zeke/Nique/Barkley/Robinson and Shaq off the bench. I'll take that squad.

But, the 80's with a starting lineup of...

PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Bird
PF: McHale/Barkley
C: Kareem/Hakeem

...is absolutely filthy as well. Arguably the best seeing as you have 4 guys who could be considered top 5 ever on the same floor at or near their prime.

mightybosstone
09-20-2014, 11:50 AM
If I'm starting Malone over Barkley (though I don't think I would), then I'm definitely starting Stockton over Zeke/Payton. Makes more sense for floor spacing, too.

On the same starting lineup you could have the Stockton/Malone PnR duo, the Jordan/Pippen GOAT defensive wing duo (nevermind that they were a little bit of alright on the other end), and Dream at Center. Zeke/Nique/Barkley/Robinson and Shaq off the bench. I'll take that squad.

...is absolutely filthy as well. Arguably the best seeing as you have 4 guys who could be considered top 5 ever on the same floor at or near their prime.

The 80s squad would probably have the most talent at the top, but I don't it would be nearly as deep. Then again, when you consider that most of the guys from the 80s squad also excelled in the 90s and vice versa, the squads would technically be pretty damn close. The main differences would probably be swapping Bid for Pippen and Moses and Kareem for Shaq and Robinson.

tredigs
09-20-2014, 11:52 AM
What would the 60's and 70's team look like? I'm thinking the 70's would be...

PG: Walt Frazier / Tiny Archibald
SG: Jerry West (older)
SF: Dr. J / Rick Barry
PF: Elvin Hayes
C: Kareem / Gilmore

And the 60's...

PG: Big O
SG: Jerry West (prime) / Hondo
SF: Rick Barry / Elgin Baylor
PF: Bill Russell
C: Wilt Chamberlain

tredigs
09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
The 80s squad would probably have the most talent at the top, but I don't it would be nearly as deep. Then again, when you consider that most of the guys from the 80s squad also excelled in the 90s and vice versa, the squads would technically be pretty damn close. The main differences would probably be swapping Bid for Pippen and Moses and Kareem for Shaq and Robinson.
I mean, if we're talking about this as a hypothetical 7 game series, you wouldn't need it to be too deep. You've already got a young/potent Barkley + Hakeem as backup bigs, then you've still got Isiah Thomas or young Stockton, Clyde Drexler and Dominique. Pretty strong backups.

abe_froman
09-20-2014, 12:04 PM

And the 60's...

60's
oscar/cousy
west/jones/greer
baylor/hondo
pettit/and i'll go with the underrated baily howell
wilt/russell/reed

70's(including aba)
fraizer/wilkens/tiny
gervin/thompson/monroe
dr. j/hondo/barry
hayes/issel
kareem/gilmore/lanier

KnicksorBust
09-20-2014, 03:34 PM

And the 60's...

60's
oscar/cousy
west/jones/greer
baylor/hondo
wilt/russell/reed

70's(including aba)
fraizer/wilkens/tiny
gervin/thompson/monroe
dr. j/hondo/barry
hayes/issel
kareem/gilmore/lanier

Looks great. Only glaring omission is Bill Walton.

abe_froman
09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Looks great. Only glaring omission is Bill Walton.

i knew i was forgetting people(did the list before i had my coffee).

xbrackattackx
09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
No Pistol Pete?

abe_froman
09-20-2014, 03:58 PM
No Pistol Pete?

eh,not a fan of pistol.he became beloved for college and cuz he was the only white player that was stylish like the black players that were flooding in.i'd probably put him next,but that mostly because of the poor quality of sg's in that era

mightybosstone
09-20-2014, 04:45 PM
60's
oscar/cousy
west/jones/greer
baylor/hondo
wilt/russell/reed
This is a solid group. Although I might swap out Howell with Gus Johnson. Jerry Lucas also has a pretty good case.

70's(including aba)
fraizer/wilkens/tiny
gervin/thompson/monroe
dr. j/hondo/barry
hayes/issel
kareem/gilmore/lanier
I'd definitely swap out Lanier for Walton and put him second on the depth chart behind Kareem. Also, I'd swap out Issel for Dave Cowens. And I'm not crazy about Wilkens cracking the 70s list. He was a good player, but never great, and I wouldn't rank him ahead of Tiny. I'd use that last spot to add someone else. Maybe Bobby Jones or Dave Debusschere for defensive purposes.

abe_froman
09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I'd definitely swap out Lanier for Walton and put him second on the depth chart behind Kareem. Also, I'd swap out Issel for Dave Cowens. And I'm not crazy about Wilkens cracking the 70s list. He was a good player, but never great, and I wouldn't rank him ahead of Tiny. I'd use that last spot to add someone else. Maybe Bobby Jones or Dave Debusschere for defensive purposes.
cowens was a center,not a pf(except when the bucks tried him and lanier together at the end).i get it,he was 6'9 and that throws people to say he's undersized and stuff,but i hate switching guys from the position they actually played(see hondo still at sf), and so it makes him miss the cut.as for the arrangement,see my post to kob

IKnowHoops
09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
This thread needs some insight from Pavabloni or whatever his name was. Is the guy still banned. Dude was one of the nicest guys on here. How did he get banned? And why so long?

mightybosstone
09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
cowens was a center,not a pf(except when the bucks tried him and lanier together at the end).i get it,he was 6'9 and that throws people to say he's undersized and stuff,but i hate switching guys from the position they actually played(see hondo still at sf), and so it makes him miss the cut.as for the arrangement,see my post to kob

I dunno, man. If the point is to create the most talented roster possible, why not blur the lines a bit between positions? If a guy was more than capable of playing two positions and it actually makes more sense to move him to another position, I see no harm in it. Hell, this is all completely hypothetical anyway.

ThuglifeJ
09-20-2014, 05:57 PM

I dunno, man. If the point is to create the most talented roster possible, why not blur the lines a bit between positions? If a guy was more than capable of playing two positions and it actually makes more sense to move him to another position, I see no harm in it. Hell, this is all completely hypothetical anyway.

If ur including an entire Era's best players possible obviously you can blur the lines on positioning or just put them lower on the depth chart their presence is still wanted

ThuglifeJ
09-20-2014, 06:04 PM

The more I look at the 90s team...the more I'm inclined to vote them.. But I just think early 2000s is loaded at every position at least 3 guys deep...and the most athletic. The 80s have a perfect starting lineup, but idk about their depth or athleticism.

I'm pretty undecided on 90s or 2000s. Both have such good front court rotations too...

Updating list later as well

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
It would be better to break it up by

2005-now
96-05
86-95
76-85

and so one.

Because the real Golden era if you only had to take 10 years. Was 85-95. The league began changing too many rules around 97 and so on. So it was actually David Stern that screwed up the league.

An all time team from that era would be

Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing
Barkley, Malone, McHale
Pippen, Wilkins, Bird
Jordan, Drexler, Miller
Magic, Isiah, Stockton

Compared to the last 10 years

Duncan, Howard, Gasol
Nowitzki, Garnett, Amare
James, Durant, Anthony (who is really just a chucker)
Bryant, Wade, Ginobili
Paul, Parker, Rondo

Just some notable differences here would be and not limited to:

Barkley from 86-95 was better than Dirk and I'm a huge Nowitzki fan. But Barkley was throwing in basically 26/13/4 with 2 steals and 1 block on 56% shooting consistently everynight. Just didn't have another Superstar on his team and had to face All Time great teams like Bulls, Knicks and Pistons too often.

Huge difference between Robinson and Howard.
Aswell as Ewing and Gasol. I don't need to go into detail on why.

Huge difference between Bird and Anthony

Shooting Guard and Point Gaurd are also way better.

I mean just look at Magic Johnson vs the Chris Paul matchup. And I'm a pretty big Chris Paul fan.

Stockton is better than Rondo aswell and more durable.

ThuglifeJ
09-21-2014, 02:51 PM

2005-now
96-05
86-95
76-85

and so one.

Because the real Golden era if you only had to take 10 years. Was 85-95. The league began changing too many rules around 97 and so on. So it was actually David Stern that screwed up the league.

Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing
Barkley, Malone, McHale
Pippen, Wilkins, Bird
Jordan, Drexler, Miller
Magic, Isiah, Stockton

Duncan, Howard, Gasol
Nowitzki, Garnett, Amare
Bryant, Wade, Ginobili
Paul, Parker, Rondo

Barkley from 86-95 was better than Dirk and I'm a huge Nowitzki fan. But Barkley was throwing in basically 26/13/4 with 2 steals and 1 block on 56% shooting consistently everynight. Just didn't have another Superstar on his team and had to face All Time great teams like Bulls, Knicks and Pistons too often.

I mean just look at Magic Johnson vs the Chris Paul matchup. And I'm a pretty big Chris Paul fan.

I mean your inclined to your own opinion but I disagree with a lot of this. Not really on who's better than who but the players you chose and the era breakups.

2000s is hard because the late 2000s there wasn't really much of an identity and was a big transition period to what we have now.

Going 95-2005 seems off because Jordan's bulls was still in effect and had their 3 peats before during and after 95..

Also on what planet us Wilkins better than Bird?

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 02:53 PM
The more I look at the 90s team...the more I'm inclined to vote them.. But I just think early 2000s is loaded at every position at least 3 guys deep...and the most athletic. The 80s have a perfect starting lineup, but idk about their depth or athleticism.

I'm pretty undecided on 90s or 2000s. Both have such good front court rotations too...

Updating list later as well

The 80's had the best dunk contests by far.

An all 80's 15 man roster

Olajuwon, Kareem, Moses
Barkley, McHale, Malone
Bird, Wilkins, Worthy probably the best ever, because also had, DrJ, King, Pippen, Aguire
Jordan, Drexler, Mullin
Magic, Isiah, Stockton

An All 90's team

Olajuwon, O'neal, Robinson, Ewing ... best for centers ever all in their primes aswell
Malone, Barkley, Kemp
Pippen, Drexler
Jordan, Miller, Majerle
Payton, Stockton, K. Johnson

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I mean your inclined to your own opinion but I disagree with a lot of this. Not really on who's better than who but the players you chose and the era breakups.

2000s is hard because the late 2000s there wasn't really much of an identity and was a big transition period to what we have now.

Going 95-2005 seems off because Jordan's bulls was still in effect and had their 3 peats before during and after 95..

Also on what planet us Wilkins better than Bird?

Hmm, you disagree, but then you don't give real reasons other than Jordan's Bulls winning a second title from that time. I get that point and I even thought about it. Jordan owned the 90's I get that.

But the abulute best 10 year period was 85 - 95.. I get that 95-98 was still great...

Really from about 80 to 98 the NBA was played with the same rules and was one era really.

It's hard for me to break that up into two different eras. Really 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 were all great seasons.

Also you disagree with the players I picked for the all 85-95 team and the all 05-now team.. But then you don't say why or who you'd pick. Which means you really don't have an opinion or know what you're talking about. You're just taking offense and wanting to argue.

Also, do you even think before writing. Everyone pretty much knows that Wilkins from 1986 to 95 was proabably a little better than Bird who's actaully hay day was like 78-88. Wilkins played more games, had way more points, probably won just as much really and was the only superstar on his roster. Wilkins was pretty awesome from 86-95. I'll bet he scored nearly 20,000 points in that time. At any rate, I got Bird on that amazing roster so it's not a big deal. He could be second or even first. All Three SF's I picked are amazing and that was the best era ever for SF BY FAR... Sorry kids, best Sf's were back then from like 85-95.

tredigs
09-21-2014, 06:31 PM

2005-now
96-05
86-95
76-85

and so one.

Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing
Barkley, Malone, McHale
Pippen, Wilkins, Bird
Jordan, Drexler, Miller
Magic, Isiah, Stockton

Duncan, Howard, Gasol
Nowitzki, Garnett, Amare
Bryant, Wade, Ginobili
Paul, Parker, Rondo

Bird as the #3 behind Pippen and Wilkins? Lmfao.

Edit: New profile - must be an old troll.

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Bird as the #3 behind Pippen and Wilkins? Lmfao.

Edit: New profile - must be an old troll.

You do Know I put Larry Bird as NUMBER 1 SF from 76-85. Larry's prime was actually 79-87. That falls more in that ten year span.

Scottie had more Rings, Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks from 86-95.

Wilkins had twice as many points at 19988, That's how close I was... I said 20,000 just off the top of my head. That's how smart I am. I know hoops. Wilkins had more rebounds steals and blocks as well.

This is not a Diss at Bird, you idiot.

He makes the previous first team SF even, with Julius at the SG. Because you have to start Julius.

Somthing like

Kareem, Moses, Walton
Hayes, McAdoo
Bird, Gervin
Julius, Thompson
Magic, Archibald, D. Johnson

ThuglifeJ
09-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Dude, you're basing who has more athleticism off of dunk contests....I'm not going to even argue with someone like that.

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Dude, you're basing who has more athleticism off of dunk contests....I'm not going to even argue with someone like that.

You admit the 80's dunk contests were the best. ha.

you have no comeback.

I bet you think players like Cousins and LaMarcus Aldridge are insanely athletic and play bigger than their size.

tredigs
09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
You do Know I put Larry Bird as NUMBER 1 SF from 76-85. Larry's prime was actually 79-87. That falls more in that ten year span.

Scottie had more Rings, Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks from 86-95.

Wilkins had twice as many points at 19988, That's how close I was... I said 20,000 just off the top of my head. That's how smart I am. I know hoops. Wilkins had more rebounds steals and blocks as well.

This is not a Diss at Bird, you idiot.

He makes the previous first team SF even, with Julius at the SG. Because you have to start Julius.

Somthing like

Kareem, Moses, Walton
Hayes, McAdoo
Bird, Gervin
Julius, Thompson
Magic, Archibald, D. Johnson

Who the hell cares how many total points/blocks someone had when you're comparing them to a player who was retired for multiple years? From 85-88 Bird was a far superior talent then Pippen or 80's Melo with a windmill. Even with your own made up timeline, if you're choosing the best player from anyone who played in that time frame, it's a pretty clear decision.

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Who the hell cares how many total points/blocks someone had when you're comparing them to a player who was retired for multiple years? From 85-88 Bird was a far superior talent then Pippen or 80's Melo with a windmill. Even with your own made up timeline, if you're choosing the best player from anyone who played in that time frame, it's a pretty clear decision.

Pippen did win 6 titles you know and was a big part at 20/7/7 and All World Defense. I'd honestly rather have Pippen for about 8-9 healthy years doing this, than Bird for about 3-4 healthy years.

From the 85-86 season to the 94-95 season.

Pretty sure if you put it to a vote 80% would choose Pippen because twice as many games and still a very great player.

I still put 34 year old Bird man. So just stop making up something that isn't there.

This 10 year period is the best ever for SF and it's really not even close.

Bird, Wilkins, Aguire, Pippen, Worthy, Mullin, Rodman could play the SF, As could Barkley, and Drexler.
McDaniel, Kersey, Woolridge, Rice, L. Johnson, Elliott, Lewis, Person, D. Ellis, Schrempf, Mason, Manning, Vandewedge, English, Dantle, L. Simmons, R. Dumas, Ceballos, B. King

Mengxing
09-22-2014, 12:55 AM
ahahahahahahaha, someone was to young. :mad: (http://www.thenbajerseystore.com/)

Bruno
09-22-2014, 02:34 AM
The 60's and early 2000s are the best teams, imo.

O-Wilt-Barry-Russell-Wilt with Baylor as 6th man.
Kidd-Kobe-SF-Duncan-Shaq KG as 6th man.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 01:09 PM
It's between 80's and 90's. With 2000's being 3rd probably.

I'll make a 15 man roster from each

80's

Kareem, Hakeem, Moses
Barkley, McHale, Malone
Bird, Wilkins, Worthy, Aguire
Jordan, Drexler
Johnson, Isiah, Stockton

90's
Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson
Ewing, Barkley, Malone
Pippen, L. Johnson, Mullin
Jordan, Drexler, Miller
K. Johnson, Stockton, Payton

2000's-10

Shaq, Howard, B. Wallace,
Duncan, Nowitzki, Garnett
James, Pierce, Marion
Bryant, Wade, Kidd or Allen
Parker, CP3, Nash

todu82
09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
The 90s.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Let me correct the 90's

PG Thomas, Stockton, Payton, Hardaway, KJ, Penny, Kidd
SG Jordan, Drexler, Richmond, Sprewell, R. Miller, J.Jackson
SF Pippen, Nique, Mullen, G. Hill, J.Mashburn
PF Malone, Barkley, Kemp, Webber, Rodman
C Dream, Drob, Shaq, Ewing, Mutumbo, Smits

Cool man, you do know hoops. You got a bunch of them in there.

Also you can add Larry Johnson who was awesome during the 90's and really during his day was one of the best ever. Just a complete player that could dominate inside and hit turnaround fadaways and even step out to the three.

Jeff Hornacek is another. Helped the Jazz get to 2 Finals and did score a ton of points during the decade, I think like 10th most of any player.

Thomas really only played about 3 real good seasons in the 90's. Seems more like he should be an 80's player and not a 90's player. Stockton, KJ, Tim Hardaway and Payton all did more in the 90's ovarall.
Seems like you should have to have played like 300+ games atleast in a decade. Bet Thomas only played like 270 or so.

Dumars is another one that was better than Jim Jackson. Mourning for the centers also.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 01:57 PM

SG: Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade / Tracy McGrady

All 12 of those guys are at least arguably top 50, with at least four guys in the top 10 discussion and seven guys in the top 20 discussion. Now in terms of actually fitting together, I think this roster is actually better than the 90s roster, but I wouldn't say it's quite as talented overall.

Edit: Forgot Wade.

The All decade team consists of a season 90-91 to 99-00 for example. not 89-90 to whatever.

Also the player should really had played atleast 300 games during the decade.

Johnson is on the 80's team for point guards and doesn't have the longevity to qualify for the 90's team.

How ever, I do believe Duncan does barely qualify for the 90's team aswell. Which would give the 90's forwards a look like

Malone, Duncan, Kemp, Webber then slide Barkley to SF as he did on ocassion and start him at SF or bring him off the bench behind Pippen.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 02:04 PM
ahahahahahahaha, someone was to young. :mad: (http://www.thenbajerseystore.com/)

Seeing as majority of this board is most likely more in their 20s than 40s I don't feel like I should be ashamed for not wanting to attempt to make a depth chart of the 60s/70s when I am also only in my mid 20s. So Ya. Hilarious for not lying about my age to be more credible to the few geezers on here.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:08 PM
I think the 80's would make a strong case for winning, because they have Prime Bird and Magic as well as Jordan who was basically Prime from day one.

The SF's can flat out score on the 80's. You better bring you "lunch pale" defensive game against them.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM

You admit the 80's dunk contests were the best. ha.

you have no comeback.

I bet you think players like Cousins and LaMarcus Aldridge are insanely athletic and play bigger than their size.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. You just keep throwing out random ****, I don't need a 'comeback' when ur being moronic. You said the 80s were more athletic because they had better dunk contests. That doesn't mean anything man they don't correlate directly at all...

And everyone knows the 2000 dunk contest was the peak and end of the dunk contests. Its really ur opinion on which u like better, if u liked Dr J or MJ vs nique u may like those better..good for u but everyone even MJ, Kobe, Nique say Vinces were the best ever.

But again, that doesn't mean anything to this discussion. And now youre putting more words in my mouth, I don't think highly of the current era at all but I'm not gonna pretend they aren't athletic or LMA isn't good just because guys like Barkley or Garnett were way better.

Get off ur not moving on from the past high horse and let the legends of the 70s, 80s rest in peace.. Dr J is one of my favorite players ever, Bird is my top 5 favorite players ever and in my top 5 players all time, doesn't mean I think their era was more athletic or as stacked as the 90s/early 2000s..

Those eras may be able to soar as high or far if u want to say that, but they certainly weren't as strong as a Lebron which matters in athleticism.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I think the 80's would make a strong case for winning, because they have Prime Bird and Magic as well as Jordan who was basically Prime from day one.

The SF's can flat out score on the 80's. You better bring you "lunch pale" defensive game against them.

You do realize you've contradicted or repeated yourself 5 different times now?

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:31 PM
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. You just keep throwing out random ****, I don't need a 'comeback' when ur being moronic. You said the 80s were more athletic because they had better dunk contests. That doesn't mean anything man they don't correlate directly at all...

And everyone knows the 2000 dunk contest was the peak and end of the dunk contests. Its really ur opinion on which u like better, if u liked Dr J or MJ vs nique u may like those better..good for u but everyone even MJ, Kobe, Nique say Vinces were the best ever.

But again, that doesn't mean anything to this discussion. And now youre putting more words in my mouth, I don't think highly of the current era at all but I'm not gonna pretend they aren't athletic or LMA isn't good just because guys like Barkley or Garnett were way better.

Get off ur not moving on from the past high horse and let the legends of the 70s, 80s rest in peace.. Dr J is one of my favorite players ever, Bird is my top 5 favorite players ever and in my top 5 players all time, doesn't mean I think their era was more athletic or as stacked as the 90s/early 2000s..

Those eras may be able to soar as high or far if u want to say that, but they certainly weren't as strong as a Lebron which matters in athleticism.

Players were stronger than Lebron.
Also Lebron (one player) doesn't make an entire era better.
That would be like someone saying the 60's was the best era ever because of the height and strength of Wilt Chamberlain.

And no, Jordan, Wilkins and the other greats like Julius do not say 2000 was the best dunk contest. Come on man! There was like 6 dunkers in all in that one and really they only got about 5 dunks each. It wasn't even a complete dunk contest with 10 contestants where each gets upwards of 10 dunks.
Pretty lame contest if you ask me. Vince uses another contestant to get his under the legs dunk. He can't do it off the dribble that's why he did it that way. Plus he travelled on everyone of his dunks. Some of the greats say that counts off for style.
Also he's really 6'9 and has long arms you know.
You're a Vince fan because he's the first one you saw in a dunk contest and you admitted your age earlier and you're not open minded enough to go look at athletes and dunkers like Darryl Dawkins, Julius Erving, Jordan, Drexler, Kemp,
Vince is just tall and weighs nothing. He hypes it after and before dunks. But overall he doesn't have any smooth dunks or dunks on playoff competition.

Jordan was so much more athletic than James it's not even funny. Jordan could smoothly and effortlessly cut through 5 defenders going coast to coast and jam on anyone. Jordan was quicker at changing direction and he did jump way higher. James is bigger but Jordan jumps higher. Jordan can also out hang James.

James is a pg version of Karl Malone.

The Pf's of the 90's would laugh at him and dare him to come inside and see what happens. He wants to stay outside and plays against pg's.

I want to help you thugboy. First change your handle, then open your mind, then go and watch the DVD SuperSlams of the NBA. That's a homework assignment for you. It's by far the best dunk video.

You really need to get off your "lebron thing".

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Looking strong and being strong are two different things. And yes players were stronger than Lebron.
That would be like someone saying the 60's was the best era ever because of the height and strength of Wilt Chamberlain.

And no, Jordan, Wilkins and the other greats like Julius do not say 2000 was the best dunk contest. Come on man! There was like 6 dunkers in all in that one and really they only got about 5 dunks each. It wasn't even a complete dunk contest with 10 contestants where each gets upwards of 10 dunks.
Pretty lame contest if you ask me. Vince uses another contestant to get his under the legs dunk. He can't do it off the dribble that's why he did it that way. Plus he travelled on everyone of his dunks. Some of the greats say that counts off for style.
You're a Vince fan because he's the first one you saw in a dunk contest and you admitted your age earlier and you're not open minded enough to go back and look at athletes and dunkers like Darryl Dawkins, Julius Erving, Jordan, Drexler, Kemp,
Vince is just tall and weighs nothing. He hypes it after and before dunks. But overall he doesn't have any smooth dunks or dunks on playoff competition.

Jordan was so much more athletic than James it's not even funny. Jordan could smoothly and effortlessly cut through 5 defenders going coast to coast and jam on anyone. Jordan was quicker at changing direction and he did jump way higher. James is bigger but Jordan jumps higher. Jordan can also out hang James.

The Pf's of the 90's would laugh at him and dare him to come inside and see what happens. He wants to stay outside and plays against pg's.

I want to help you thugboy. First change you handle, then open your mind, then go and watch the DVD SuperSlams of the NBA. That's a homework assignment for you. It's by far the best dunk video.

OMG. I cannot wait to get to a computer and completely bend you over.

U are so off and hypocritical. You yourself may want to go watch some film and edit your statement before you get embarrassed cuz it's about to happen.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:40 PM
You do know that lebron would just be another player in the 80's.

Mike or Larry would lite him up for 60 and that would be the end of it.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:44 PM
OMG. I cannot wait to get to a computer and completely bend you over.

U are so off and hypocritical. You yourself may want to go watch some film and edit your statement before you get embarrassed cuz it's about to happen.

Dude, u know nothing about the NBA or basketball. I bet you're about 25 years old and only seen about 100 games and just bits and pieces of those. I bet the first game you ever watched was around 1999.

Show some respect young one.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
labrat made Kawhi Leonard, a 12ppg player look like a dang All Pro. lebrat is not as athletic as you think

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:55 PM
You're a prisoner of the moment but don't even want to look at the facts.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Name the super athletic players today and not one of them is super athletic and COMPLETE athletes like Jordan, Kemp, Pippen, and a whole host of centers from then.

Shlumpledink
09-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Early 2000s is the clear favorite in my estimation.

When I look at these teams I mainly look at the role players when I'm judging the eras. It isn't too much about the quality of the starting 5, which is probably all hall of fame players in every era, but how do the role players fit in with the rest of the teams strengths? Ray Allen and Chauncey Billups off the bench with garnett and nowitzki also spacing the floor would be significantly better than the second best team, the 90s can offer.

Prime Ron Artest vs Jordan? I never thought of that matchup before, but it is a compelling one.

Shaq with Duncan or Garnett helping him out under the rim with their phenomenal help defense makes for a great front line. Jason Kidd at the point means you don't lose anything with rebounding, defense, and ball movement, but you are losing something in floor spacing (not a whole lot later in his career though).

Prime Kobe and T-mac are both more than enough iso offense, but I think they are both underrated passers which would make for an interesting pairing.

I just think the early 2000s is a deeper league than the top heavy 90s but I would pay anything to see a Gary Payton/ Jordan/Pippen/Rodman/Olajuwon team play defense. That would be exciting.

mrblisterdundee
09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Great thread just because I love seeing all-decade teams.

You have to get Durant into that modern starting 5. :)

Put LeBron James at power forward and Kevin Durant at small forward. Dennis Rodman would shut either one of them down, and the 90s would still win.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Players were stronger than Lebron.

I NEVER said that (one player makes an era better).

And no, Jordan, Wilkins and the other greats like Julius do not say 2000 was the best dunk contest. Come on man!
Pretty lame contest if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPQFUB1XMs

Shaq: "That right there was probably, the number 1 dunk ever."
David Aldrige: "His series of dunks to me, was the best of all-time"
*Isiah Thomas jumps over the judges table to congratulate Vince*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjvAKIoWOs
Kobe: "Vince (is the greatest dunker of all-time)" (John Sally agrees)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkHj6SXhCaY
Charles Barkley: "Vince Carter" (best dunk contest dunker all time)
Kenny Smith: "Vince Carter"
Reggie Miller: "Vince Carter is probably the greatest dunker the NBA has ever seen"
Chris Webber: "Vince Carter"
Shaq: "Vince Carter"

(I can find more if you'd like :) I've seen a Dominique interview on Vince saying he's the best)

Vince uses another contestant to get his under the legs dunk. He can't do it off the dribble that's why he did it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxAeyBqJ5k
Between the legs dunk off dribble

2000 dunk contest rules: Must use a teammate for one of the dunks.

Plus he travelled on everyone of his dunks. Some of the greats say that counts off for style.

-I'd like you to go back and watch the contest, He only traveled on the last dunk from the free throw line...gtfo with "he traveled" he took a step and a gather on all his dunks..and got them all first try.
-NO COMMENT on he's 6'9.. LMAO.

Uh he's 6'5/6'6" and weighs 215/220....I dont even need to look that's about a mirror height and weight of Jordan if not a tad shorter.. Who cares if he hypes up his dunks? SO WHAT?
DO YOU REALLY want me to dig up all his playoff dunks and his HUNDREDS of smooth dunks? He's has thee best compilation of smooth, unique, and powerful dunks of anyone, ever.

SMOOTHNESS doesn't mean you're more ATHLETIC it means you're more agile...and I'm starting to think you're trolling because James is KNOWN for going coast to coast.. I agree (for mabye the first time and only time ever) that Jordan can change directions quicker but this doesn't mean Lebron isn't one of if not the most athletic player ever. They're both ultimate all-time athleticism who cares? I think Lebron is clumsy and horrible footwork and ugly shot but he's DEFINITELY ATHLETIC.

SO? That's AWESOME. And I hate Lebron.

Oh and to your cute little "he had all these dunks practiced and predetermined before the contest, jordan and nique made them up on the fly! and same with every other great because modern era sucks and oldies rule!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQJppSKLNk

Vince: "All the dunks I had made up for the dunk contest, I MADE UP THAT NIGHT"

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Name the super athletic players today and not one of them is super athletic and COMPLETE athletes like Jordan, Kemp, Pippen, and a whole host of centers from then.

Today? I never even defended TODAY so shat up. Today I'd say Lebron for a couple more years here. Khawi Leonard is pretty darn ATHLETIC too. Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis are darn Athletic. Russell Westbrook is a wild animal but athletic.

The 2000s has plenty of players as athletic as Jordan, Pippen, Kemp: Kobe, Wade, Vince, Tmac, Iverson, Garnett, Shaq, Lebron, Dwight, Francis

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Put LeBron James at power forward and Kevin Durant at small forward. Dennis Rodman would shut either one of them down, and the 90s would still win.

Worm isn't shutting down Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Nowitzki though.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Early 2000s is the clear favorite in my estimation.

When I look at these teams I mainly look at the role players when I'm judging the eras. It isn't too much about the quality of the starting 5, which is probably all hall of fame players in every era, but how do the role players fit in with the rest of the teams strengths? Ray Allen and Chauncey Billups off the bench with garnett and nowitzki also spacing the floor would be significantly better than the second best team, the 90s can offer.

Prime Ron Artest vs Jordan? I never thought of that matchup before, but it is a compelling one.

Shaq with Duncan or Garnett helping him out under the rim with their phenomenal help defense makes for a great front line. Jason Kidd at the point means you don't lose anything with rebounding, defense, and ball movement, but you are losing something in floor spacing (not a whole lot later in his career though).

Prime Kobe and T-mac are both more than enough iso offense, but I think they are both underrated passers which would make for an interesting pairing.

I just think the early 2000s is a deeper league than the top heavy 90s but I would pay anything to see a Gary Payton/ Jordan/Pippen/Rodman/Olajuwon team play defense. That would be exciting.

Dude, just dude.

Where do I begin.

Jordan would score 58 points on Ron Artest and I'm a Ron Artest fan. Jordan has the side to side movement, the fakes, the post moves, the quickness in open court, the scorer mentality and the jumping to simply rise up and shoot over Artest from 14, which was basically a 53% consistant shot for MJ in his prime. I'm talking consistent too, none of this stuff that players do today all the time shooting nothing but threes hoping to get on a streak after going 0 for 5.
Worst saying out there is great shooters forget their last shot..... totally false. Great players hate that they missed there last shot and it gets to them so they want to dunk the next 10 and hard.

You're also basing an entire era on Dirk Nowitzki and Ray Allen and their ability to shoot threes inconsistently I might add. I've only seen one consisten three point shooter in the history of the NBA and that was Reggie Miller. I never saw him miss 3 in a row. It was make one miss one and so on.

I don't even get what you're saying. Are you talking about which era overall had better role players ( I don't even like that term) . Or are you looking at players that you think fit better on an all time team coming off the bench.

Also the other saying that is wrong and way over rated is that a team might need three point shooters for spacing. Didn't bother Magic, McHale, Worthy, English, Wilkins, Barkley, Shaq etc.
Great players can score inside reguardless. I just listed teams that packed the paint and all their players still shot 58%. The Lakers had Cooper as their only jumpshooter and they all shot 58% inside.

The 80's team would have an advantage inside. The 90's team would also have an advantage inside.

they are clearly the two best. They also have the best guards

The only weakness on the 90's team is Mullin and Hills injuries. Other than that it is a perfect team and has guys like

PRIME SHaq for 8 years. Prime Hakeem that was throwing in 33 a game in the playoffs for 4 years in a row with 12 rebounds and 6 assist. That's right Hakeem was more than the stat pader lebrat at 33/12/6 and I won't even count his 4 blocks and 2 steals per game in the playoffs, of wait I just did.

90's can put a team like this out there

Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson - that's 60 points and 25 rebounds off the bench right there
Ewing, Malone, Kemp
Pippen, Barkley, Mullin
Jordan, Drexler, Miller
K.Johnson, Stockton, Payton- Don't sleep on KJ he would average 27 and 11 in the playoffs

Looks like 90's even has your two best three point shooters since you tend to over rate that so much.
It's also got post up players that can draw double teams to give those three point shooters all day to shoot.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-22-2014, 04:21 PM
I'd say it's a toss up between the 80's and 90's.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Rodman would shut him down. But honestly they wouldn't have to guard him. Durant is just a far jumpshooter and will stay outside against the 90's. Also we know his percentage it's roughly 38% for his career and more like 35% when he's losing in the game because of the pressure. That isn't good enough to compete against a fast break team that looks for opponent misses to run the other way on and jam. Pippen would run out on each durant shot and he wouldn't make him pay consistently only 35% which isn't nearly good enough to match the 55% shooting by the 90's team and it's a consistent 55% inside with more free throws and everything and more offensive rebounds. That's how the 90's was. They wanted the opponent to shoot threes because they know they're going to shoot 55% inside and get all the offensive rebounds and free throws. While the three point shooter is going to be 35%. and it's an inconsistent 35% at that filled with many 0-5 type droughts .

This is when the 90's would go on thier quick 20 -0 runs.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
I'd say it's a toss up between the 80's and 90's.

Agreed and you're looking at it logically and you know the players and how they played

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 04:35 PM
You're a prisoner of the moment but don't even want to look at the facts.

Dude, the year 2000 was 14 years ago. This is not "IN THE MOMENT". We are way passed that point now..

I've watched plenty of basketball since the 90s, I watch it religiously now and have played basketball at a decently high level and am mature enough to understand the game for quite a while now..

You throw this claim at me that I only watch bits and pieces (which is completely untrue) yet you have watched ZERO basketball since Jordan's era ended. That is clear as day because you are MAKING THINGS UP to a moronic extent. You tell me to watch more 70s or whatever (which I do) and yet you don't watch ANY current basketball... hypocrite at it's finest.

and for the record I watch classic games all the time, especially in the offseason like this summer. This summer alone I've probably watched over 40 full games ranging from 1970-2014. I mean I skip half-time if that's okay if you want to pin my lack of understanding on that.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
I NEVER said that (one player makes an era better).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPQFUB1XMs

Shaq: "That right there was probably, the number 1 dunk ever."
David Aldrige: "His series of dunks to me, was the best of all-time"
*Isiah Thomas jumps over the judges table to congratulate Vince*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjvAKIoWOs
Kobe: "Vince (is the greatest dunker of all-time)" (John Sally agrees)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkHj6SXhCaY
Charles Barkley: "Vince Carter" (best dunk contest dunker all time)
Kenny Smith: "Vince Carter"
Reggie Miller: "Vince Carter is probably the greatest dunker the NBA has ever seen"
Chris Webber: "Vince Carter"
Shaq: "Vince Carter"

(I can find more if you'd like :) I've seen a Dominique interview on Vince saying he's the best)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxAeyBqJ5k
Between the legs dunk off dribble

2000 dunk contest rules: Must use a teammate for one of the dunks.

-I'd like you to go back and watch the contest, He only traveled on the last dunk from the free throw line...gtfo with "he traveled" he took a step and a gather on all his dunks..and got them all first try.
-NO COMMENT on he's 6'9.. LMAO.

Uh he's 6'5/6'6" and weighs 215/220....I dont even need to look that's about a mirror height and weight of Jordan if not a tad shorter.. Who cares if he hypes up his dunks? SO WHAT?
DO YOU REALLY want me to dig up all his playoff dunks and his HUNDREDS of smooth dunks? He's has thee best compilation of smooth, unique, and powerful dunks of anyone, ever.

SMOOTHNESS doesn't mean you're more ATHLETIC it means you're more agile...and I'm starting to think you're trolling because James is KNOWN for going coast to coast.. I agree (for mabye the first time and only time ever) that Jordan can change directions quicker but this doesn't mean Lebron isn't one of if not the most athletic player ever. They're both ultimate all-time athleticism who cares? I think Lebron is clumsy and horrible footwork and ugly shot but he's DEFINITELY ATHLETIC.

SO? That's AWESOME. And I hate Lebron.

Oh and to your cute little "he had all these dunks practiced and predetermined before the contest, jordan and nique made them up on the fly! and same with every other great because modern era sucks and oldies rule!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQJppSKLNk

Vince: "All the dunks I had made up for the dunk contest, I MADE UP THAT NIGHT"

They all work in the media, they're job is to over hype the now. It's how they make money.

You never got Jordan saying Vince is the best.

you do know that Jordan is the best dunker ever. Many of million know this.

Kemp is also better than Vince. Kemp played the power game and would take the other teams best post defense and still had the best looking dunks and most power ever. Still had energy to win the games unlike vince who liked to lose.

Jordan jumped higher than Vince. Vince is bigger. Even Danny Ainge in that stupid over rated dunk contest said he's got the bigger body than Jordan. Vince has like a 7'6 wing span man. He also wears size 18 shoes. He's arms and legs are that or a 6'10 player. He should be jumping like a frog out there.

Don't try and pretend that his standing on toes reach is like 8'5 feet or something... try 9'2. like a dang tall PF.

He's a good dunker, but he gets over rated. people don't really judge everything. they just want to quickly make up their mind and listen to what idiots like kenny smith are yelling while drunk at a all star celebration. Those aren't facts man. When they say stuff like that, they're just trying to hype it and be nice to vince and be part of the celebration.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Dude, the year 2000 was 14 years ago. This is not "IN THE MOMENT". We are way passed that point now..

I've watched plenty of basketball since the 90s, I watch it religiously now and have played basketball at a decently high level and am mature enough to understand the game for quite a while now..

You throw this claim at me that I only watch bits and pieces (which is completely untrue) yet you have watched ZERO basketball since Jordan's era ended. That is clear as day because you are MAKING THINGS UP to a moronic extent. You tell me to watch more 70s or whatever (which I do) and yet you don't watch ANY current basketball... hypocrite at it's finest.

and for the record I watch classic games all the time, especially in the offseason like this summer. This summer alone I've probably watched over 40 full games ranging from 1970-2014. I mean I skip half-time if that's okay if you want to pin my lack of understanding on that.

OK, I'll respect your opinion then, but you haven't been around the game as long as me. I started watching Lakers Vs Celtics. I would even record games and stuff and rewatch them.

I've played at a very high level mainly street ball because I like the free flow and everything. But I've played against 6'9 dudes that can easily dunk... not just played against them MATCHed up with them to gaurd them and they guard me. I'm 6'1 with 6'5 wingspan and play a little like Oscar Robertson or Prime Barkley. Everytime I touch the ball I draw a hard triple team because I jump high verticaly have post moves, hangtime and a very high releas around 9'8, which is actually pretty high even for NBA standards. I shoot about 70% overall the last 12 years or so.

Jordan was the better leaper, Vince is a little taller and bigger... Vince being built more like Julius Erving or McGrady

The 70's is when players started getting very athletic, really even late 60's as basketball was starting to catch on.
Meanwhile make no mistake about it. NCAA and NBA had the goals set at 10'2 to try and limit so many dunks on thier rims. They dind't have the break away rims yet and they leagues didn't want their rims being bent up every other game.

But answer me this... Vince had all the physical tools right. Why couldn't he dunk from the foul line like Jordan or even Pippen did? seriously. Not saying it's the greatest dunk ever or anything, but it seems like something the great dunkers should do or be able to do. Even Nique who was known more as a power dunker going straight up relavtively off two legs and power jumping and Gorilla dunking it home even got a few in games from 1 foot shy of the free throw line and they looked really GREAT!.

Vince is good, but you have to put it in context a little, He dind't have every kind of dunk. And no, Jordan didn't need the under the legs dunk or whatever, those are fundamental to an all time best dunkers tool box. Free throw dunk is probably more important to have because it could be used in a game to gain an advantage and I have seen MJ take off from a foot inside the free throw line with defense on him and make a very nice looking jam. Vince is built more like a 6'10 player and did't weigh nothing. Plus he learn from MJ.
MJ was more complete all around. So he din't do the under the legs dunk and windmill.... was he told he was supposed to do those?

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
They all work in the media, they're job is to over hype the now. It's how they make money.

You never got Jordan saying Vince is the best.

you do know that Jordan is the best dunker ever. Many of million know this. FOR EVERY MILLIONS WHO THINK THAT THERES 10 MILLION WHO THINK VC IS THE GOAT DUNKER. Why dont you go look around the internet or ask some friends what they think. It is in VINCES favor anywhere you look that he's the #1 dunker. GO START A POLL ON HERE. IDC just so you can realize that MOST PEOPLE think Vince is the best dunker.

Jordan jumped higher than Vince. Vince is bigger. YOU JUST SAID HE'S SMALL AND WEIGHS NOTHING Even Danny Ainge in that stupid over rated dunk contest said he's got the bigger body than Jordan. Vince has like a 7'6 wing span man. He also wears size 18 shoes. He's arms and legs are that or a 6'10 player. He should be jumping like a frog out there. SO WHAT? SO THE FACT HE'S GOT GIFTED BODY FOR DUNKING MEANS HES NOT THE BEST? SO IN YOUR LOGIC WE NEED A GUY WITT T REX ARMS IN ORDER TO BE THE GOAT DUNKER? WAS JORDAN NOT LONG AND LARGE HANDS/SHOES??

Don't try and pretend that his standing on toes reach is like 8'5 feet or something... try 9'2. like a dang tall PF.SO WHAT? THAT MAKES HIS DUNKS LOOK EVEN BETTER CUZ HE HAS LONG ARMS.

He's a good dunker, but he gets over rated. people don't really judge everything. they just want to quickly make up their mind and listen to what idiots like kenny smith are yelling while drunk at a all star celebration. Those aren't facts man. When they say stuff like that, they're just trying to hype it and be nice to vince and be part of the celebration. WHAT FACTS ARE YOU GIVING????

YOU ARE SO FREAKING ANNOYING. You didn't even watch any of the videos either because you sit in your own arrogant stubborn bubble of utter stupidness. It was Shaq, Reggie, Kenny, Aldridge, Barkley, Webber and Kerr sitting in a cirlce and they were asked "Who is the greatest dunker of all time, in a dunk contest". EVERY ONE OF THEM EXCEPT KERR (JORDANS TEAMMATE since you probably didn't know that) SAID VINCE. Without hesitation. This was like 2011 too so it wasn't their job to hype Vince.

You are clueless, all your arguments and "FACTS" are made up and CHILDISH.

JORDANS NEVER GONNA SAY ANYONES BETTER AT HIM THAN ANYTHING. IT'S JORDAN WERE TALKING ABOUT.

but I dug this up, probably best you'll ever get out of Jordan for a compliment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vY0k7G9eas

"Vince was very creative, that's why he became a crowd favorite. ( In a dunk contest vs Vince today) Obviously Vince would win today as I'm 47 years old, but in our primes I think it'd be a lot of fun, the fans would certainly get entertained, it wouldn't matter who wins because you'd get to see creativity at its best"

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 05:00 PM
OK, I'll respect your opinion then, but you haven't been around the game as long as me. I started watching Lakers Vs Celtics. I would even record games and stuff and rewatch them.

I've played at a very high level mainly street ball because I like the free flow and everything. But I've played against 6'9 dudes that can easily dunk... not just played against them MATCHed up with them to gaurd them and they guard me. I'm 6'1 with 6'5 wingspan and play a little like Oscar Robertson or Prime Barkley. Everytime I touch the ball I draw a hard triple team because I jump high verticaly have post moves, hangtime and a very high releas around 9'8, which is actually pretty high even for NBA standards. I shoot about 70% overall the last 12 years or so.

Jordan was the better leaper, Vince has the longer arms... Long arms but never really did anything with them. His arms are like Alex Enlish but English was throwing in 55% and 27 ppg for like 10 striaght years down low in the post. Jordan has long arms too, don't get me wrong. It's a good thing. Pretty much every player in the NBA has long arms.

The 70's is when players started getting very athletic, really even late 60's as basketball was starting to catch on.
Meanwhile make no mistake about it. NCAA and NBA had the goals set at 10'2 to try and limit so many dunks on thier rims. They dind't have the break away rims yet and they leagues didn't want their rims being bent up every other game.

But answer me this... Vince had all the physical tools right. Why couldn't he dunk from the foul line like Jordan or even Pippen did? seriously. Not saying it's the greatest dunk ever or anything, but it seems like something the great dunkers should do or be able to do. Even Nique who was known more as a power dunker going straight up relavtively off two legs and power jumping and Gorilla dunking it home even got a few in games from 1 foot shy of the free throw line and they looked really GREAT!.

Vince is good, but you have to put it in context a little, He dind't have every kind of dunk. And no, Jordan didn't need the under the legs dunk or whatever, those are fundamental to an all time best dunkers tool box. Free throw dunk is probably more important to have because it could be used in a game to gain an advantage and I have seen MJ take off from a foot inside the free throw line with defense on him and make a very nice looking jam. Vince is built more like a 6'10 player and did't weigh nothing. Plus he learn from MJ.
MJ was more complete all around. So he din't do the under the legs dunk and windmill.... was he told he was supposed to do those?

AHHHHHHHHHHH YOUR LOGIC IS AWWFULLL!!!! JUST AWFUL!!!!!!!

Here, please, just watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHG1g8IFbQk

and shut up.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Dude really, you're logic is stupid. you think there is a way to factually say who was a better dunker.

It's subjective dude. It's in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen Vince. I was even a pretty big fan of his in college and early NBA days. He never panned out and he even faded out and stopped doing any really great dunks that meant anything by the time he was 26 or so.

Jordan has him on longevity and quantity. That is a fact.
Jordan also dunked on the greater defenses and in greater games. that is a fact

Jordan is also not as long overall so in a way if look more impressive to me when he does his very nice dunks.

I mean look at you you're acting like His Airness is chop liver or something. Really kid, you need an attitude adjustment.

I liked Vince a lot and still do say he's a great dunker, maybe the best wind mill dunker and 360 dunker. Although I like the way Nique would go up more... Don't know why, just do.

Jordan is also one of the best double pump dunkers and wave the ball around type dunkers. Infact Jordan's dunks are so amazing they're hard to explain and lets be real here he was only 6'5 and did have long arms which is key, like 6'11 wingspan, size 13 shoes. It was just really impressive to me the players he dunked on being 6'5 195 coming out of UNC

Kemp is also up there as the best and maybe the BEST.

It's people like you that just say vince, and don't even really see or quantify what the others were doing that seem very biased and closed minded.

I went to Vince carter Games live because I wanted a chance to see him dunk. There is nothing biased about my opinion.

I just feel that Jordan with all the other stuff he had to do to win and still had the energy to be the best dunker is much impressive.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:15 PM
And all the "attitude" faces from vince like he's hard or somthing and all the chest bumping and stuff after every single dunk by the guy I actually count off for. You probably count up for and like that and say it increases his standing.

there's team oriented reasons why I don't like this stuff. He is separating himself form the team too much. Also I like my players to get back on the defense

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Someone tell me how to post videos and I'll kill you with MJ videos or Kemp videos.

MJ had it all and wasn't 6'9 like Carter, he was 6'5 and STILL WAY BETTER!!!!

Hawkeye15
09-22-2014, 05:22 PM
You do know that lebron would just be another player in the 80's.

Mike or Larry would lite him up for 60 and that would be the end of it.

are you actually serious?

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:30 PM
If we're just going by overall dunker, then it's SHAQ. HE dunked the craziest ond on the most people. He kills vince. He stuffs vince in the hoop twice before he hits the floor.

PowerHouse
09-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Someone tell me how to post videos and I'll kill you with MJ videos or Kemp videos.

Where did you get 6'9 from?? Every source out there has Carter listed at 6'6.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:34 PM
are you actually serious?
So you think he's better than Prime Jordan, Larry and Magic.

Go watch the full game tape son.

Magic was the ultimate floor general and magician. He led his TEAM to 122ppg and 55% shooting.

Lets see lebron do that with his hand picked team. He can't. He walks the ball up too much.

Larry was averaging 30/9/8

Jordan was averaging 37/7/5

bagwell368
09-22-2014, 05:35 PM
The 60's and early 2000s are the best teams, imo.

O-Wilt-Barry-Russell-Wilt with Baylor as 6th man.
Kidd-Kobe-SF-Duncan-Shaq KG as 6th man.

Ummm... I've been reading along this thread, and generally agreeing. But the 60's and 70's teams would get pole axed by each and every team that came later, and I started watching in the mid 60's, and those were my guys.

The teams starting from the 80's would have a great battle for #1, then pick-em 60's or 70's in the basement.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Where did you get 6'9 from?? Every source out there has Carter listed at 6'6.

Would it change your opinion of him if you figured out he was longer than the average 6'6 player? Just wondering,

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Ummm... I've been reading along this thread, and generally agreeing. But the 60's and 70's teams would get pole axed by each and every team that came later, and I started watching in the mid 60's, and those were my guys.

The teams starting from the 80's would have a great battle for #1, then pick-em 60's or 70's in the basement.

So you started watching in the mid 60's... could you help me out on something... Why did players average SOO many rebounds back then.

It was tallied differently right. Maybe also each team would shoot like 120 times a game or basically almost twice as much. Maybe a few other factors, like minutes per game etc, and certain bad teams just racing the ball up and shooting the first 15 footer they see without even passing off first.

Hawkeye15
09-22-2014, 05:47 PM
So you think he's better than Prime Jordan, Larry and Magic.

Go watch the full game tape son.

Magic was the ultimate floor general and magician. He led his TEAM to 122ppg and 55% shooting.

Lets see lebron do that with his hand picked team. He can't. He walks the ball up too much.

Larry was averaging 30/9/8

Jordan was averaging 37/7/5

fortunately I watched all those games when they happened.

I am not reading through pages of this crap, but if you really think LeBron wouldn't totally dominate any era, you are crazy, and not worth debating with.

Hawkeye15
09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
So you started watching in the mid 60's... could you help me out on something... Why did players average SOO many rebounds back then.

It was tallied differently right. Maybe also each team would shoot like 120 times a game or basically almost twice as much. Maybe a few other factors, like minutes per game etc, and certain bad teams just racing the ball up and shooting the first 15 footer they see without even passing off first.

it's called pace. In Wilt's day, teams averaged around 130 possessions a game. today, the fastest team averages around 30 less a game, the average team around 35 less.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 05:52 PM
fortunately I watched all those games when they happened.

I am not reading through pages of this crap, but if you really think LeBron wouldn't totally dominate any era, you are crazy, and not worth debating with.

uhmm sir, he doesn't even dominate this era. 2 rings in 11 years, all in an easy East and 4 years with a hand picked team

Lay off the lebron kool aid.

BALLER R
09-22-2014, 06:01 PM
The new era is probably more flashy, that 90's era is filled with physical/ dirty players. That plays a huge factor because talent is in every era it's the mental stuff that separates them.

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
it's called pace. In Wilt's day, teams averaged around 130 possessions a game. today, the fastest team averages around 30 less a game, the average team around 35 less.

Yeah, I figured that...
But also the lower FG% back then and all the free throws they shot back then. Some of those free throws miss and a rebound can be had.

I've been looking at stats since the late 80's and have mutliple basketball NBA encyclapedias
I got around 93. So well before anyone else even knew what stats were. Also have about 10000 basketball cards.

I think if you put together the 60's and 70's or something you would have a team that could hang with any.

I think a 65-75 team would hang

Chamberlain, Thurmond
Russell, Hayes
Julius, Hawk, Barry
Robertson, West
Archibald, Wilkins

TheCatch
09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Overall todays NBA is not nearly as competitve as it was 15-20 and 30 years ago.

I'm going to say the real reasno right here. It has to do with money. They all make the same just about now. They all seem to make 10 million to 15 million. Superstars get a little more like 20 million.

But the thing is they all make it now even the losers. Infact you now have players getting multi year deals after losing miserably in the playoffs to a lower seed.

Back then you had to pretty much win to get the pay day. with a few exceptions but very few. Like Koncak and a few others.

But now days you have 4th option type players making the same as 2nd option players We had Losers like Irving getting 80 million dollar deals and his career winning % is about 33%.

The incentive really isn't there for the NBA players.

mrblisterdundee
09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Worm isn't shutting down Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Nowitzki though.

But guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Alonzo Mourning can.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 09:56 PM

Carter is 6'6"

6'6"

6'6"!!!!

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 10:06 PM
But guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Alonzo Mourning can.

Well I don't think anyone's 'shutting down' Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitzki... I would say Shaq too but Hakeem has been proven to give him troubles.

Still I don't think Worm + Hakeem, Robinson, Mourning = shut down of Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Garnett.

J. O'Neal, Ben Wallace, and Ming can hold their own too..

I understand those 3 are elite defensively but better offense can beat any D...for example Dirk Nowitzki. No one can guard that shot. Though when I think about it, Hakeem would fair pretty well if he needed to he was agile enough.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Okay Mr. Catch, so I have a question for you now.

How many guys have jumped over another player in game for a dunk? Let alone a 7 footer? Only one man has ever done anything like that. It's hands down the greatest dunk ever.

Munkeysuit
09-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Everyone goes with the Bulls because it's the safest pick, no one wants to be brave enough to pick against them, BUT you wana know something? I pick the 2001 LA Lakers squad to smash the 96 Bulls, IDGAF what anyones argument is, you guys can go hide behind the fact Jordan is GOAT and use that to reinforce your argument till the day you die, but I am going with Shaq and Kobe to crush those Bulls.

ThuglifeJ
09-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Everyone goes with the Bulls because it's the safest pick, no one wants to be brave enough to pick against them, BUT you wana know something? I pick the 2001 LA Lakers squad to smash the 96 Bulls, IDGAF what anyones argument is, you guys can go hide behind the fact Jordan is GOAT and use that to reinforce your argument till the day you die, but I am going with Shaq and Kobe to crush those Bulls.

Hey man, not really the point of the thread, but I think you mean since everyone's picking the 90s?

I respect going against the general opinion though. I too don't instantly jump at the Bulls or 90s because of Jordan, I think Shaq/Lakers are an animal themselves that even the GoAT would not be able to overcome, especially with his lack of center...

you cant honestly tell me Longley or Cartwright stands a chance against Shaq. Heck give me Sadonis or Divac to try and stop Shaq before them.

PowerHouse
09-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Would it change your opinion of him if you figured out he was longer than the average 6'6 player? Just wondering,

So Jordan has T-rex arms? FYI Carter's wingspan is only one inch longer than Jordan's.

king4day
09-24-2014, 08:53 AM
The C's of the 90's would poop all over those of the 00's outside of prime shaq.

Hard to truly tell because no many (myself included) are familiar with players from the 70's and 60's, and to some extent, the 80's.

Heatcheck
09-24-2014, 09:13 AM
uhmm sir, he doesn't even dominate this era. 2 rings in 11 years, all in an easy East and 4 years with a hand picked team

Lay off the lebron kool aid.

Lebron doesn't play on the court by himself. there are 4 other players plus substitutes. and you don't win **** on paper.
the first year in Miami, the team was poorly put together because of the cap. and this last year, the other players sorta disappeared.
anyone who thought that by simply putting 3 stars together, they should automatically win, should go back to playing with barbies because they know jack **** about how team sports work.

Heatcheck
09-24-2014, 09:17 AM
The C's of the 90's would poop all over those of the 00's outside of prime shaq.

Hard to truly tell because no many (myself included) are familiar with players from the 70's and 60's, and to some extent, the 80's.

the Celtics were absolute crap in the 90s

ThuglifeJ
09-24-2014, 11:03 AM

the Celtics were absolute crap in the 90s

Hope it was a typo.

Heatcheck
09-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Hope it was a typo.
the Celtics in the 90s were crap

they went to the playoffs thrice , furthest they went was the conference semis, and posted 7 straight losing seasons.

they poop their pants before they poop on anyone else

NYKalltheway
09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
C's = CENTERS not Celtics..

Heatcheck
09-25-2014, 07:20 AM
C's = CENTERS not Celtics..

gotcha

ThuglifeJ
09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
gotcha

The 90's Centers were obviously the best depth chart, BUT when you factor in that Tim Duncan can be labeled as a Center/IS A CENTER and all the GREAT depth they had at C, and the Elite PFs....It wouldn't be an overwhelming match on either side. I get and agree that Olajuwon is probably the best/most skilled out of all the bigs 90s/2000s but you really can't forsure say they'd beat the early 2000s era...

Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett/Dirk Nowitzki/Stoudemire
Shaq/Tim Duncan/Ben Wallace/Jermaine O' Neal/Yao Ming/Alonzo Mourning/Mutumbo

I mean that front court rotation can take anyone in any point in the history of the NBA. I mean the defense is unreal...Shaq and Tim Duncan alone are top 10 all timers...Garnett Nowitzki are overwhelming for anyone to handle even against Malone, Barkley, Olajuwon, Robinson. Your 5-10 minutes with Ben Wallace you don't lose anything either because you have a load of other elite offensive players at the wings to score and Wallace defends..

I mean Ming is an X factor too...

I don't see the "poop" on 2000s. Do you know of Tim Duncan and Shaq? Dominance.

Malone/Barkley/Kemp
Olajuwon/Robinson/young Shaq/Mourning/Mutumbo

vs them is a wash imo.

DarrylDawkins
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Now that I think about it and watch the video, Michael Jordan does have much longer arms than carter. Jordan's wingspan is 7'4-7'5. Also Michael Jordan is a little taller. Carter is only 6'5 and not as big as Jordan and doesn't have the length of Jordan.

Jordan is also the better dunker, Jordans dunks were amazing and he even made them during points of the games where his team really needed a score.

Also I was much more impressed with Carter than McGrady actually when I'd attend the games his rookie season. For the things he was doing at 6'5.

DarrylDawkins
09-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Okay Mr. Catch, so I have a question for you now.

How many guys have jumped over another player in game for a dunk? Let alone a 7 footer? Only one man has ever done anything like that. It's hands down the greatest dunk ever.

It's not the greatest dunk ever. You may like it, but that is your personaly taste. You like that sort of stuff.

I think Julius, Wilkins, and Jordan have all had greater dunks in hard fought games against ALL STAR ALL TIME GREAT CENTERS.

Heatcheck
09-25-2014, 03:12 PM
The 90's Centers were obviously the best depth chart, BUT when you factor in that Tim Duncan can be labeled as a Center/IS A CENTER and all the GREAT depth they had at C, and the Elite PFs....It wouldn't be an overwhelming match on either side. I get and agree that Olajuwon is probably the best/most skilled out of all the bigs 90s/2000s but you really can't forsure say they'd beat the early 2000s era...

Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett/Dirk Nowitzki/Stoudemire
Shaq/Tim Duncan/Ben Wallace/Jermaine O' Neal/Yao Ming/Alonzo Mourning/Mutumbo

I mean that front court rotation can take anyone in any point in the history of the NBA. I mean the defense is unreal...Shaq and Tim Duncan alone are top 10 all timers...Garnett Nowitzki are overwhelming for anyone to handle even against Malone, Barkley, Olajuwon, Robinson. Your 5-10 minutes with Ben Wallace you don't lose anything either because you have a load of other elite offensive players at the wings to score and Wallace defends..

I mean Ming is an X factor too...

I don't see the "poop" on 2000s. Do you know of Tim Duncan and Shaq? Dominance.

Malone/Barkley/Kemp
Olajuwon/Robinson/young Shaq/Mourning/Mutumbo

vs them is a wash imo.

yeah just a misunderstanding of what "C's" meant....
but to address what you meant in your post, it doesn't matter.
You cant play 7 different big men at the same time, you cant even rotate that many.
your lineup would most likely be Hakeem with Robinson or shaq off the bench, and Malone or barkley, with the other coming off the bench.
Against a Lineup of Shaq with Ming or Wallace rotating and Duncan with Garnett/Dirk, its really close. if anything, the 2000s have a tactical advantage because they can play low and stretch the offense. Morning and Malone are probably the best jumpshooters of that bunch and not from very far.
I wouldn't bet on that game.