PDA

View Full Version : An Answer to Why the Rockets Let Chandler Parsons Out of His Contract

ChiSox219
09-18-2014, 05:26 PM
So it made no sense to let Parsons out of his contract just to make him a restricted free agent. Here's why it happened:

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7680/rockets-honored-dwight-howard-agent-agreement-chandler-parsons-contract/

As I’ve been told, Howard’s agent Dan Fegan did not want Dwight in Houston, preferring instead to steer him to another team. Reportedly, that team was Dallas as the agent has a relationship and comfort level with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Dwight preferred Houston. To seal the deal for the premier free agent, Fegan provided the Rockets a list of needs/demands to bring him here and one of them was to let Chandler Parsons, who also was represented by Fegan, out of his contract this summer rather than wait until 2015.

JEDean89
09-18-2014, 05:27 PM
agent politics should never effect the roster like that. if it's true that looks really bad for Fegan and the Rockets.

jaydubb
09-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Interesting

kobe4thewinbang
09-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Who knows what's true. What matters is Dwight > Parsons.

Seizabmc
09-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Plus I don't think parsons is worth the money he got,
Didn't he get close to max contract?
I'm not sure, but if he did, then
He's definitely not worth a max contract!
I'm not saying that he isn't a good player.
Because he does have skill.

Or maybe they him go for the same reason that okc let harden go.

Because they already have two superstars on the team and they don't want to pay for a 3rd.

Plus not to mention that Dwight/ harden and parsons would never win a ring.

So they did the right thing and let him go, now they have to find another roll player to fill in the spot.

My man melo said
"He'll no I ain't going to play with those fools !

Saddletramp
09-18-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure if we already knew this but there were rumors as to this being the case.

But if that's what it took to get Howard, then whatever.

Verbal Christ
09-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I wonder if Parsons is still "offended" ... seems like he knew what was going on all along and just played the part of the 'poor guy who was being pooped on by the big,bad GM'

C.R.E.A.M. dolla,dolla bills yall.

IKnowHoops
09-19-2014, 01:40 AM
I think Parsons is the most garbage max contract player in his prime in the history of the NBA.

ThuglifeJ
09-19-2014, 01:51 AM
I wonder if Parsons is still "offended" ... seems like he knew what was going on all along and just played the part of the 'poor guy who was being pooped on by the big,bad GM'

C.R.E.A.M. dolla,dolla bills yall.

~6 months earlier~

"PARSONS WE LOVVEE YOUUU!!! You are such a great down to earth guy and so underrated! No homo you are so good looking too! Favorite rocket everrr"

Munkeysuit
09-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Not sure about any of this but I am sure the Rockets will be just as good or better with Ariza on board.

Tumstock
09-19-2014, 02:38 AM
Mavs>Rockets

2-ONE-5
09-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I think Parsons is the most garbage max contract player in his prime in the history of the NBA.

thats just not even close to true

albertajaysfan
09-19-2014, 11:26 AM
I think some people in here need to learn what max contract means. Parsons 'max' is much different then what Rose, Durant or LBJ get.

Plus he got a near max extension.

For the record I do think he is overpaid but that is how it goes when you are trying to steal away a restricted free agent especially within your division.

Verbal Christ
09-19-2014, 06:20 PM
~6 months earlier~

"PARSONS WE LOVVEE YOUUU!!! You are such a great down to earth guy and so underrated! No homo you are so good looking too! Favorite rocket everrr"

Prove it. Otherwise you're just padding your I HATE HOUSTON post count as has already been exposed by another member ... or better yet why don't you just avoid all the relevant posts directed your way, because you know, you're just not smart enough to defend your takes ... carry on with your dribble "thug" LOL

DallasTrilla23
09-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Letting Parsons out of his contract a year early made sense to me until the rockets didn't match the offer sheet from Dallas. I understand why they didn't match but I never understood why they would let him become a restricted free agent if they weren't ready to match a max contract.

Now this kinda makes sense.

Mr.B
09-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Why do Houston fans keep bringing up Parsons? Let it go already, he doesn't play for your team anymore. If you don't want people talking crap about your team then stop bring this stuff up. The horse is already dead you don't need to keep beating it!

JasonJohnHorn
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
It sounds more like Fagon wanted a pay-day than Howard wanting Parsons' out. By letting the contract go, it allows Parson's to sign a more lucrative deal (earning over 10 million) instead of the 900,000 he was going to get. If the agent gets 5% or 10% or whatever, that Fagon's cut of Parson's salary that year goes up 1000%.

If Howard wanted Parsons' out, he could have just demanded the Rockets trade him when he got there (Parson's trade value was high: quality starter on a playoff team on a rookie contract with two years under a million-per: that could have gotten a first round pick easy). But it seems as though Fagon wanted the Rockets to keep him and let him out of his contract, and the only reason for that is to increase Parson's (and in turn Fagon's) salary.

And the request wasn't to let him go, but let him out of his contract. They could have potentially re-signed him.

Bottom line, letting him go, as well as Asik and Lin, really hurt the team's depth. Lin has deficiencies, sure, but he's a decent back up, and Parson spread the floor while Asik was the best rebounder on the team, and perhaps as good a defender in some respects as Howard.

The Howard signing, which should have been simply addition, then became Howard for Parson, Asik and Lin.

JasonJohnHorn
09-20-2014, 02:05 PM
This really bothers me. If it were simply a matter of Dwight asking the Rockets to move a guy to sign him, that's fine, but it seems like Fagon/Howard WANTED the Rockets to KEEP Parsons and then let him become a restricted free agent. Had they simply traded Parsons, the team that picked him up could have kept him in his contract and the paid him less for this upcoming season.

A trade would have made more sense for the Rockets and Howard if this was an issue of Howard not wanting Parsons. It would have allowed the Rockets to take back some assets, shed the contract an year early, and get Howard in. Instead, they kept Parson's for a year, let him go for nothing, and the only people benefitting from that is 1: Fagon, and 2: Dallas.

This seems like an overt instance of salary tampering and conflict of interest. This deal increases Fagon's bank account, Dallas (the team Fagon wanted Howard to go to) gets a crack at Parsons after missing out on Howard. It all seems very fishy.

If this is true, the league is going to have to do something about this. It sounds like Fagan is doing some dirty work here.

Confusious
09-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Dwight is the biggest teammate killer in the modern age. He distanced himself from the Magic teammates more and more as the years went by and he realized he was the only guy that was playing defense (in his opinion). Then when he moved to LA, it didn't work out there either, now in Houston, after only a year, he's already forced a key guy out. Man that guy is more needy than my ex girlfriend. No amount of muscles on his shoulders can make him look like the fun, goofy idiot he once was. Now he's just a ****head.

ghettosean
09-20-2014, 03:21 PM

No just no

Saddletramp
09-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Dwight is the biggest teammate killer in the modern age. He distanced himself from the Magic teammates more and more as the years went by and he realized he was the only guy that was playing defense (in his opinion). Then when he moved to LA, it didn't work out there either, now in Houston, after only a year, he's already forced a key guy out. Man that guy is more needy than my ex girlfriend. No amount of muscles on his shoulders can make him look like the fun, goofy idiot he once was. Now he's just a ****head.

Ehhh, he didn't force Parsons out. Fegen signed off on the Rockets contract for Howard on the promise that Parsons, another one of his clients, would get paid sooner. The Rockets were going to match until Cuban's offer was deemed too unmoveable so Morey passed on matching, probably making Parsons second guess his decision because make no mistake about it, Parsons wanted to be a Houston Rocket all along. I'm sure he's glad he got paid and as long as Dirk is healthy, Dallas is going to be a playoff team, but I'd bet my bottom dollar if Parsons would have known Morey would've passed on matching, Parsons would have taken a bit of a paycut to fit in to what Morey would've accepted. Cuban just out-Morey'ed Morey. Oh , and the Bosh thing. If Bosh signed with the a Rockets, Parsons would still be a Rocket.

Once Dirk's gone, that team isn't going anywhere unless they can replace him but they'll only have his $8M or so to do it with (although who knows when that will be; Dirk could play another 3 years).

But no, this had nothing to do with Howard running off anybody. This had everything to do with an agent not caring for anything but his own paycheck.

king4day
09-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I remember hearing this when they let him be a RFA.
I don't believe it. If Howard was all about winning, wouldn't he want the team to retain Parsons cheap or at least trade him for assets?
If this IS true, Howard is a flat out idiot for letting his agent add this stipulation...

da ThRONe
09-21-2014, 01:58 PM
I remember hearing this when they let him be a RFA.
I don't believe it. If Howard was all about winning, wouldn't he want the team to retain Parsons cheap or at least trade him for assets?
If this IS true, Howard is a flat out idiot for letting his agent add this stipulation...

I was thinking the very same thing. Why would Howard allow his agent to sabotage his teams roster to no benefit to him?

On a side note who's that comic book character?

Saddletramp
09-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Why are you people blaming Howard? This has his agents political stink written all over it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if after Ariza signed for way cheaper, Morey decided to tell Fegan to stick it whenever he didn't re-sign Parsons and that blew up in Fegan/Parsons' face.

I'd even go as far to say that Fegan told Cuban to get the crappiest contract for Parsons just to stick it to Morey (and team rosters don't matter to these agents because they get paid by the signing, not how good a team does) because Morey promised to match whatever offer sheet Parsons signed for. Think about it: why wouldn't Cuban offer 4 years (which was the longest contract he could technically offer?). He wanted to make the deal worse for Morey to try to move in the short term.

Everyone got played in one way or the other except Fegan but Morey kind of jabbed him when he didn't match by probably making Parsons and Howard a little ticked at him (Fegan) although Fegan just spun it to Morey being the bad guy (which he was to a degree).

Looking back on it from their perspective:

Fegan's happy because he got paid but two of his players are a little ticked at him;
Morey's upset that he got played by Fegan/(an unknowing) Parsons/Cuban;
Cuban got played by Fegan as he probably didn't want to sign Parsons to that contract as he was told Morey promised he'd match;
Howard's a little butthurt his recruiting buddy got used in a warring GMs/agent battle and is no longer a teammate;
And Parsons was probably blindsided by the non-match and would've done things differently to stay a Rocket but I'm sure he's over it by now and blamed Morey for the whole thing.

We'll never know the truth (if this is the truth) unless Morey says it sometime in the future.

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Not sure about any of this but I am sure the Rockets will be just as good or better with Ariza on board.

Ariza is an ok player and is actually a decent rebounder for his position and role.

However, the Rockets real problems is "game plan" and "coaching". Or should I say the GM and owner stepping over McHale to coach.

I the simplest term. "They shoot too many threes"

TheCatch
09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
You guys are making up everything and you don't know what you're talking about.

Houston was clearing cash for Lebron James. You guys don't remember that? Really, I can't believe some of you. It wasn't even that long ago. Instead you'd rather make up silly stuff about Howard wanting Parsons out. Why would he want that. Parsons was the only guy that would pass to him.

Wes_Craven
09-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Reading comprehension not so great 'round here..

JasonJohnHorn
09-22-2014, 10:17 AM
You guys are making up everything and you don't know what you're talking about.

Houston was clearing cash for Lebron James. You guys don't remember that? Really, I can't believe some of you. It wasn't even that long ago. Instead you'd rather make up silly stuff about Howard wanting Parsons out. Why would he want that. Parsons was the only guy that would pass to him.

They wouldn't have needed to drop Parsons to do that. They had him under contract for another year a 900 000 (less than a millions). Had they had a chance to sign LBJ (which they didn't), they would have drop Parsons if need be when LBJ committed.

It was the Asik and Lin contracts that needed to be moved to sign Bosh or LBJ, not Parsons.