PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Pistons have picked in '03?

JasonJohnHorn
09-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Though everybody bemoans the Darko pick now, a lot of people were high on him back then.

With 20/20 hindsight, though, who would have been the best pic for Detroit? Keep in mind who they had on the roster, chemistry and what the team would have needed long-term to stay in contention.

It pretty much comes down to Wade, Melo, or Bosh.

Arch Stanton
09-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Given the roster they had probably Melo, but Wade a very close 2nd. You couldn't go wrong with any of the them though.

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Wade in my opinion. With him they could retain Big Ben in 2006(why go to the Bulls when you have one of the top 3 SG in the game at the time) and win at least another championship.

abe_froman
09-18-2014, 01:43 PM
i thought that they should have gone melo back then,i get many were high on darko back then,but melo seemed like a no brainer after lebron(especially since prince,though still a good player,was the weakest link in that starting 5)....though i would change that and go with wade looking back on it

IKnowHoops
09-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Melo is who they should of picked. And thats without hindsight. Now with hindsight I think I'd still go Melo. Even though Wade ended up being a little better, Melo has never been injured like Wade and he's younger so the window is larger. But either pick is fine. No way I take a foreign talent over any of those guys at that time. But Melo was consensus #2 american in that draft and to me he was the consensus #2 player/pick in that draft, but I knew wade was also sick so not mad at whatever choice they would of made between those two.

hugepatsfan
09-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Wade would have been a good combo guard for them. He could play with Chauncey or Rip. Good on defense and I think fits their chemistry better than Melo.

PhillyFaninLA
09-18-2014, 02:08 PM
You don't win titles with offensive minded selfish players like Melo.

Wade was a very good defender and we all know his offense. He would have not only give that team the offense it needed but would have been a nice compliment to the defense.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Wade would have been a good combo guard for them. He could play with Chauncey or Rip. Good on defense and I think fits their chemistry better than Melo.

exactly my thoughts

JasonJohnHorn
09-18-2014, 02:55 PM

My thoughts exactly.

When Wade came in, he played point for the first couple of season. I think with Billups as a mentor, he could have won 6th man that year, spotting Billups and Rip. And defensively, he would have fit in better than Bosh or Melo.

I'm not sure Ben stays, because ownership didn't want to pay for him, but I believe with Wade they would have beat the Spurs in 05 and you can't let the starting center of a championship team walk away at that point. I think they pony up the money for Ben.

That allows them to contend for another couple of seasons with a franchise player hitting a level of play that would have made those conference champions NBA champions, not to mention the fact that adding Wade to the Pistons takes him away from the Heat and leaves them with Bosh instead and no point guard.

Realistically, though, if it wasn't Darko, it would have been Melo, and with Brown coaching them, I think he would have struggled. Brown hates playing rookies, and he likes role players like Prince. Who knows, thouhg, maybe with Ben and Billups and Sheed and Prince, Melo would have become a good defender.

Wade, in hindsight, is clearly the best option to me.

jericho
09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
While we all know Wade had a better prime than Melo I would have gone with Melo here. Prince was the weakest link in the starting 5. Plus Prince coming from the bench would have made him one of the best sixth man in the league. I hate Melo big time but in that Pistons team he would have learned to play defense and some team ball as well. Him there would have also expanded the Pistons title contending years.

kobe4thewinbang
09-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Wade, hands down. With him, maybe they repeat against San Antonio. Came as close as possible without him. What I am curious about is why Darko was so hyped? What made Detroit pick him?

Chronz
09-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Wade, would have given them a 3 man guard unit similar to their glory days in the late 80's

abe_froman
09-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Wade, hands down. With him, maybe they repeat against San Antonio. Came as close as possible without him. What I am curious about is why Darko was so hyped? What made Detroit pick him?
he reminded a lot of people of old school centers like parish and sabonis.he had the size,defense ability, and in europe, wowed people with his passing as bigman and showed a lot of promise with his offense and footwork.scouts and those who knew about euro players back then absolutely loved him(though average american fans still werent clued in to guys beyond our boarders)

Chronz
09-18-2014, 03:59 PM
I was all on the Darko love train BTW. For some reason I saw greatness even in Orlando.

IKnowHoops
09-18-2014, 04:42 PM
I was all on the Darko love train BTW. For some reason I saw greatness even in Orlando.

I thought he was going to be good, but not better than Bron, Melo, or Wade. Even if he was going to be the next Dirk, I was absolutely positive Wade, Melo and Bron would be awesome players so I would of gone with them. Bosh too.

Chronz
09-18-2014, 05:13 PM
I thought he was going to be good, but not better than Bron, Melo, or Wade. Even if he was going to be the next Dirk, I was absolutely positive Wade, Melo and Bron would be awesome players so I would of gone with them. Bosh too.

Agreed.

I wonder how Anthony would have fared on that Detroit team tho, Larry Brown hated him during the Olympics.

kobe4thewinbang
09-18-2014, 05:55 PM
So what happened? Why did Darko not live up to the hype?

kingsdelez24
09-18-2014, 06:01 PM

He did have a solid playoffs in 07 with the Magic, against Detroit at that. It bothered me so much because all of his teammates lobbied for his talent early on and in small doses he woild play just fine. If Larry Brown hadn't burried him early on, ruining his confidence for basically the rest of his career, I bet we could have seen a much more solid Darko in the league today. He at least seemed like a sure fire 15 and 10 guy to me back when he was younger

ManningToTyree
09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I said at the time they should have took melo.

abe_froman
09-18-2014, 06:15 PM
So what happened? Why did Darko not live up to the hype?

i'd say a combo of factors.
1.brown isnt a good developmental coach
2.he was buried behind ben and sheed during his formative years
3.his mindset was kind of ehhh...
4.he just wasnt fast enough

JordansBulls
09-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Tough to say, if they take Bosh then they don't get Rasheed. If they get Melo they probably don't go after Rasheed either.

Trueblue2
09-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Kobe Bryant says hello

Ty Fast
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
I said it then and i'll say it now. Melo!!!

tm95835
09-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Still Darko. In bill simmons book he explains it perfectly. Melo would have screwed up the chemistry and you can't say take wade or bosh, wade was a big surprise going 5th and bosh was never in top 3 conversation.

Dade County
09-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Melo...

Wade destiny was to be in a HEAT jersey.

Melo playing the SF spot for them would have made them almost unbeatable for like 5yrs... The only thing would coach Brown have played Melo enough, despite of the growing pains on defense Melo would have went through. I like to think yes.

Cal827
09-18-2014, 11:28 PM

Wade was a very good defender and we all know his offense. He would have not only give that team the offense it needed but would have been a nice compliment to the defense.

I think Detroit would be a team that could break that mold. I mean, that team was phenomenal defensively. If they had a guy who could pour it on on the other end, then they might have won more than 1 title.

Kinda like Dirk in Dallas... He's very offensive minded, but defensively he's never been really good (and was exposed in some of Dallas' past playoff series) But when they surrounded him with defensive talent, they won lol

WadeKobe
09-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Wade. He has been by far a better player than Melo. He has been the second best player of that class, by a wide margin. You always pick the best talent, and move on from there.

mrblisterdundee
09-19-2014, 12:44 AM
With hindsight, I'd take Carmelo Anthony for continuity and versatility. Detroit's the perfect team for Anthony's skill set:

PG - Chauncey Billups
SG - Richard Hamilton
SF - Tayshaun Prince
PF - Carmelo Anthony
C - Ben Wallace

They probably need another power forward, which they can get by trading Tayshaun Prince before moving Anthony to small forward. Maybe Rasheed Wallace is still an option.

WadeKobe
09-19-2014, 01:07 AM
With hindsight, I'd take Carmelo Anthony for continuity and versatility. Detroit's the perfect team for Anthony's skill set:

PG - Chauncey Billups
SG - Richard Hamilton
SF - Tayshaun Prince
PF - Carmelo Anthony
C - Ben Wallace

They probably need another power forward, which they can get by trading Tayshaun Prince before moving Anthony to small forward. Maybe Rasheed Wallace is still an option.

Why not trade Rip for value? Wade was better than Anthony and Rip was more valuable than Prince.

No way you pick Anthony over Wade.

Munkeysuit
09-19-2014, 02:34 AM
I chose Bosh...no real reason why, I just think he would have a better chance at surviving the instant criticism and stress every player burdens when playing down in "The D"

SanPitte
09-19-2014, 05:15 AM
the funny thing is that if the Pistons draft better (pretty much anyone but Darko) in the 03 draft, they may not win that title in 04, because they may not trade for Rasheed if they have Bosh or Melo, and the team chemistry isn't the same
on the other hand, if they still do this trade and players still mesh as well as they did with Melo/Bosh/Wade, they might win 3 or 4 in a row

SportsFanatic10
09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
melo and bosh have been very good players who i'm sure they'd been happy with compared to darko for sure. but wade turned out to be the best player in the draft class after lebron who was already off the board so the answer has to be him. he really went off against them in the playoffs 2 years in a row (04-05, 05-06). just imagine what detroit could of done with him on their side instead of against them at a time when they were dominating the east.

DemarDerozan
09-20-2014, 05:07 PM
They should have traded the pick for a handful of future firsts to a team desperate for young talent. The Pistons at that time had zero major needs. Plus Joe D knew how Rip or Tay would have responded to coming off the bench eventually. Rip moreso than Tay was a whiny ***** when it came to minutes. There was no reason to disrupt that chemistry.

They could have easily cleaned up with a number of picks as this was hyped as one of the best drafts ever. Which it turned out to be.

Ideal situation would have been to trade #2 to Chicago for #7 and two future #1s.
Chicago takes DWade, Denver takes Darko, Melo goes to Toronto and Miami gets Bosh.

It wouldn't effect Denver too bad as they would have a good shot at drafting Howard in 2004. Howard-Darko may have worked as a twin tower tandem. A lot of people hate on Darko... But in fairness he never had a chance to properly develop and was touted as the human victory cigar since his first season. He never received quality minutes or mentorship.

Detroit gets Heinrich who would have fit better in the Pistons rotation at the time as the first option off the bench. They also get a shot at drafting a better replacement for Billups or Ben in the future.

goingfor28
09-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Melo

THE MTL
09-20-2014, 09:05 PM
The pick should have always been Melo. Passing on the college phenom like Melo who won a national championship was a no brainer even back then.

Pistons took a huge gamble and it probi cost then 1-2 championships.

They're biggest problem was not having that single go-to-guy to carry them to the promise land. Which lead to them trading for AI and the rest is a joke lol.

Also Prince (as good as he was) was always the weak link in starting 5.

And we all know how well Melo played with Billups back in Denver. Now imagine him with a fully prime Billups.

And for those using the Larry Brown argument, George Karl is equally notorious for not developing youth. Therefore i think Melo would have developed just fine.

THE MTL
09-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I say no to Wade cause Rip was a beast and Wade would have been a bench player and thus stunting his growth for sure.

Wade became good because he was literally thrown into the dogs in miami which forced development

MTar786
09-20-2014, 09:25 PM
when guys like wade bosh and melo are available you CANNOT take a chance at a euro potential. i remember calling this before the draft too when everyone was kind of sure darko was going second. not many people thought wade and even bosh back then would become what they were. wade was my fav player that draft

DemarDerozan
09-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I think Melo would probably fill the most shallow position with Rip and Chauncey playing 35 plus minutes a night. But that Pistons team was special and relied mostly on chemistry. I really think the reason Darko did not develop is due to the team being solid and not requiring any rookies. It's possible that Melo or DWade would not have developed as well under Brown (who hates all rookies) and a tight locker room. Would any of the three be as good as they are today if they lived in Prince, Rip or the Wallace's shadow for 2-3 years? Sheed was a perfect fit and an experienced veteran when he joined the team. This team was unlike any other that we've seen based on chemistry and teamwork. If you tweak any position do they win the 03-04 title?

FlashBolt
09-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Man... that Detroit team with Carmelo would have been devastating.

JWO35
09-21-2014, 07:20 AM
At the time drafting Melo made the most sense... IMO even more than darko. Oh well we still managed to get a chip with that blunder, it just eliminated any hope of a dynasty without anyone noticing until years later.

DetroitBadBoy
09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
No doubt in my mind, Wade. He has been one of the best 2 way players in the league, especially at a young age.