PDA

View Full Version : 17 year old Wilt Chamberlain CATCHES a shot and runs the fast break

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 01:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmBc8NX_oL8&list=UUFfDF7oCw7sVL7PzEg57E4g

I don't know if it's thread worthy,but this clip was amazing. And when I see an interesting clip of Wilt I feel the urge to make a thread.

JustinTime
09-18-2014, 02:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmBc8NX_oL8&list=UUFfDF7oCw7sVL7PzEg57E4g

I don't know if it's thread worthy,but this clip was amazing. And when I see an interesting clip of Wilt I feel the urge to make a thread.

Wasn't that goal-tending?

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 02:55 PM

There wasn't the goal tending rule at that time.

albertajaysfan
09-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Is that another rule that Wilt's abilities influenced?

diu9leilomo
09-18-2014, 04:28 PM
hes good, but saying hes a all time great is beyond me, the game changed so much and if he plays today probably nothing more than a good role player

akia83
09-18-2014, 04:32 PM
hes good, but saying hes a all time great is beyond me, the game changed so much and if he plays today probably nothing more than a good role player

Rofl

Sandman
09-18-2014, 04:39 PM

on the slowmo it almost looks legit because the ball is still going up

naps
09-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Is this guy serious? You could say that may be about Russell who would be someone more or less like a modern day Ben Wallace but Wilt? Have you seen enough clips on Wilt or have you read enough about him before making this empty statement?

CavaliersFTW
09-18-2014, 04:51 PM

I just wanted to stop by and clarify, there most certainly was goal tending at that time, offensive and defensive. The refs just swallowed the whistle on that play, probably because it was a big-time game played at the pelastra and the crowd of 10's of thousands probably payed good money to watch Wilt dominate. Or probably just because they were in awe. Either way the rule was there, they just let the play happen. Dwight and other players get away with this too at all levels including the NBA even now a days.

JEDean89
09-18-2014, 05:29 PM
wilt was a 7 ft, 7-8 wingspan 300 lb center who was an all state track star. he would dominate today.

Bruno
09-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Wilt would crush the NBA. there isn't a single era in NBA history that Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't be a top one or two player in.

jaydubb
09-18-2014, 05:47 PM

:speechless:

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 06:38 PM

You must watch footage about him. You have no idea how wrong you are. He was a monster and it's recognized by most of bball fans.

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
I just wanted to stop by and clarify, there most certainly was goal tending at that time, offensive and defensive. The refs just swallowed the whistle on that play, probably because it was a big-time game played at the pelastra and the crowd of 10's of thousands probably payed good money to watch Wilt dominate. Or probably just because they were in awe. Either way the rule was there, they just let the play happen. Dwight and other players get away with this too at all levels including the NBA even now a days.

Thank you for the correction. I had this in my mind and I was 99% sure of that,thanks! :)

statquo
09-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Lmao

Dade County
09-18-2014, 08:58 PM
He was a player of today, playing back then.

Shaq would have been a demi god in that era. What rim... It would have been stories about him walking off with both rims in hand, breathing fire & causing earthquakes when he farts.

Phantom Dreamer
09-18-2014, 09:16 PM
hes good, but saying hes a all time great is beyond me, the game changed so much and if he plays today probably nothing more than a good role playerJust stop it.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2014, 11:11 PM
the dude is the most freakish athlete I have ever seen.

But everything in that video is getting a whistle blown haha

tredigs
09-19-2014, 03:46 AM
edit; OK too rude.

THE MTL
09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Wilt would be no doubt a beast. But he wouldn't come close to the gaudy Chamberlain stats like 70% FG, 55 rebs, 100pts, 48.5mpg, 50 ppg.

His numbers would look would similar to Hakeem with less scoring and more rebounding (yes i say less scoring cause 90% of wilts buckets was at the rim).

Still enough to be top 3 player in the game in any era

savvy1803
09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
the dude is the most freakish athlete I have ever seen.

But everything in that video is getting a whistle blown haha

THIS THIs THis This and finally this lol .:D

diu9leilomo
09-19-2014, 11:03 AM
no doubt hes a monster back then, but can anyone really say he can play in today's league?? It's a 50 year difference...im just being realistic

tredigs
09-19-2014, 11:13 AM
no doubt hes a monster back then, but can anyone really say he can play in today's league?? It's a 50 year difference...im just being realistic

Imagine Anthony Davis, but 3 inches taller + more athletic/stronger and better at virtually everything. Yes, he could probably "play" in today's league lol.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Dwight Howard has had seasons where he averaged around 23 points 15 rebounds and 3 blocks.

If those were Dwights highs is there any reason to believe a taller, stronger, more athletic Wilt would not better those numbers?

Sandman
09-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Dwight Howard has had seasons where he averaged around 23 points 15 rebounds and 3 blocks.

If those were Dwights highs is there any reason to believe a taller, stronger, more athletic Wilt would not better those numbers?
this, Dwight puts up numbers without any real post moves, just raw athleticism

Wilt would be fine as is. Now for the scary thought... give him access to the type of coaching and competition that teenagers have now... what if he was better?

diu9leilomo
09-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Imagine Anthony Davis, but 3 inches taller + more athletic/stronger and better at virtually everything. Yes, he could probably "play" in today's league lol.

That's only what you think, if you put AD back in the 50's league he could probably do the same. I just think the game has changed so much, its not even fair to compare players now and player from 50 years ago.

tredigs
09-19-2014, 02:48 PM
That's only what you think, if you put AD back in the 50's league he could probably do the same. I just think the game has changed so much, its not even fair to compare players now and player from 50 years ago.

lmao -- you are ridiculous guy. Here's a clear connection for you: A 35 year old heavily declined Chamberlain was able to put up 22 and 20 +5 blocks in the Western Conference Finals against a young Kareem's bucks squad. Kareem was the current MVP (soon to be Finals MVP), and this was the point of Wilt's career where his per game averages were less than half the PPG and 10 less RPG than his peak statistically. But Wilt could still crush on a court against one of the greatest players ever in his peak physical shape.

A 38 year old Kareem was still All NBA 1st team in '86 alongside Zeke, Bird, Wilkins and Magic (Olajuwon and Barkley headlined the 2nd Team) 15 years after he battled Wilt.

What does Kareem - a guy with a more unique and direct knowledge than anyone else in the world on this subject - think of Wilt's ability? He says he is the best player he ever played against.

CavaliersFTW
09-19-2014, 04:01 PM
He was a player of today, playing back then.

Shaq would have been a demi god in that era. What rim... It would have been stories about him walking off with both rims in hand, breathing fire & causing earthquakes when he farts.

There are no players today that are 7-1 1/16th WITHOUT shoes on, a 7-8 wingspan, a 300-310lb frame, and track and field athleticism. He's the strongest player that ever played in the NBA, and one of the biggest, and also one of the greatest all-around athletes. That's why he owns the record book he's well beyond just a "modern" player that doesn't even make sense. I heard Anthony Davis name mentioned in this thread as a comparison. Davis is only 6-9 and 1/4 by comparison. With 8.5 x 9 inch hands, to Wilt's 9.5 by 11.5. Wilt was gigantic. He even looked bigger than Shaq when they stood next to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBX9ikNzEk

Bruno
09-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Wilt would be no doubt a beast. But he wouldn't come close to the gaudy Chamberlain stats like 70% FG, 55 rebs, 100pts, 48.5mpg, 50 ppg.

His numbers would look would similar to Hakeem with less scoring and more rebounding (yes i say less scoring cause 90% of wilts buckets was at the rim).

Still enough to be top 3 player in the game in any era

no, but you'd adjust the numbers for pace within the era of comparison and his numbers would carry the same impact. 38/18 (ish) today has the same impact that his 50/25 had with a faster pace. the numbers difference is about pace not about wilt being able to dominant any less. the level of domination would be the same in any era- just adjust the numbers for how many possessions teams averaged per game.

Hawkeye15
09-19-2014, 05:52 PM

do you know any current athletes who are 7', can outbench and outsquat NFL linebackers, and keep up with elite track sprinters?

Wilt would be just fine. He would be one of the top players in the league without a doubt. Possibly still the most dominant.

smiddy012
09-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Wilt is to basketball what Jim Brown is to football... If they had played in the "modern era," they could very will be considered GOATs today.

jaydubb
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
There are no players today that are 7-1 1/16th WITHOUT shoes on, a 7-8 wingspan, a 300-310lb frame, and track and field athleticism. He's the strongest player that ever played in the NBA, and one of the biggest, and also one of the greatest all-around athletes. That's why he owns the record book he's well beyond just a "modern" player that doesn't even make sense. I heard Anthony Davis name mentioned in this thread as a comparison. Davis is only 6-9 and 1/4 by comparison. With 8.5 x 9 inch hands, to Wilt's 9.5 by 11.5. Wilt was gigantic. He even looked bigger than Shaq when they stood next to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBX9ikNzEk

do you know any current athletes who are 7', can outbench and outsquat NFL linebackers, and keep up with elite track sprinters?

Wilt would be just fine. He would be one of the top players in the league without a doubt. Possibly still the most dominant.

^^^Pretty much what both said..

Wilt also had about a 40" vertical according to that vid that was posted in the NBA forum a while back..

The guy is just freakishly athletic.. Lebron dominates today because he's bigger and faster then anybody else, I'm pretty sure he'd dominate in 40 years also if he came into the NBA at that time.. Same goes for wilt, I don't think he would just be able to hold his own in today's NBA, I think he would flat out dominate in ANY era..