PDA

View Full Version : Hickson Suspended for smoking pot: Time for a rule update?

JasonJohnHorn
09-18-2014, 09:14 AM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/jj-hickson-suspended-5-games-for-drug-violation-322030.html

Hickson was SMOKING THE REEFER!!!!

Thing is, he PLAYS for Denver, which is IN COLORADO! A state in which pot is LEGAL.

Essentially, Hickson did nothing legally wrong, but the league is now policing activities that are considered legal.

I understand that the league has certain conduct regulations, such as dress code, but when players break these, they get fined. Hickson is missing five games. That is five games without pay. AND he has to miss time.

To put that n context, you can punch a player in the face and get less time than Hickson got for smoking pot in a state where it is legal to do so.

Is this rule now antiquated? Should it be changed or re-visited?

theducksmuggler
09-18-2014, 09:51 AM
It was the 4th time he failed a drug test...i am a hugggge advocate for legal marijuana but i think the NBA probably has the best drug policy he failed 4 times and lost a 1/10 of his season so i dont think its that insane he was stupid enough to fail it 4 times its more of a suspension for stupidity

dhopisthename
09-18-2014, 09:53 AM
he makes millions of dollars playing a game. If he can't follow the rules then he will pay the consequences. he can leave the nba at any time and smoke all the pot he wants.

Arch Stanton
09-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I have no sympathy for Hickson. Yes, Marijuana is legal in Colorado, but it is a banned substance by the NBA. Josh Gordon has to sit most (10 NFL Games mostly likely) of this season (all if not for the new agreement) for his second-hand smoke violation. I have no sympathy for Gordon either, as he is a dope for getting himself in that situation, and it is certainly not his first offense. But 5 regular NBA games is nothing.

dalton749
09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
while coming off surgery
how can u recover from surgery without smoking weed, its awful being out of commish that long

IndyRealist
09-18-2014, 10:17 AM
This is silly. While pot may be legal in colorado, it is still a banned substance by his employer. He knew that when he accepted the job. It is also still a crime on the federal level, and the nba does not solely operate in colorado.

FlashBolt
09-18-2014, 10:18 AM
First and foremost, Hickson is a member of the NBA. He has to abide by NBA's own rules. Just like if you're at work, sure, NYC allows you to drink if you're over 21. But is it acceptable to drink at your work environment? I really don't feel bad for players who get suspended over silly antics such as these. You're a millionaire who can purchase supercars and condos with a snap of a finger. Why would you even think it is a good idea to smoke or do drugs?

JasonJohnHorn
09-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I think the question is more: should the NBA have a right to police this when it is legal in some states.

If the NBA had a rule against drinking, would you think it fair to suspend players for drinking? Or is that stepping outside of bounds?

I'm not questioning the fact that Hickson broke a rule, I'm questioning whether or not the NBA should HAVE the rule.

JustinTime
09-18-2014, 10:30 AM
I have no sympathy for Hickson. Yes, Marijuana is legal in Colorado, but it is a banned substance by the NBA. Josh Gordon has to sit most (10 NFL Games mostly likely) of this season (all if not for the new agreement) for his second-hand smoke violation. I have no sympathy for Gordon either, as he is a dope for getting himself in that situation, and it is certainly not his first offense. But 5 regular NBA games is nothing.

That in itself is stupid though, how does Marijuana help anyone become a better athlete? It makes you worse if anything so why is he getting banned?

JustinTime
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
This is silly. While pot may be legal in colorado, it is still a banned substance by his employer. He knew that when he accepted the job. It is also still a crime on the federal level, and the nba does not solely operate in colorado.

Employers can't ban someone from doing something while they are off work. It's not like he was hitting his bong while shooting jump shots in the team gym.

Ariza's Better
09-18-2014, 10:38 AM
I think the question is more: should the NBA have a right to police this when it is legal in some states.

If the NBA had a rule against drinking, would you think it fair to suspend players for drinking? Or is that stepping outside of bounds?

I'm not questioning the fact that Hickson broke a rule, I'm questioning whether or not the NBA should HAVE the rule.
Yes the rule should stay while pot is illegal in most places. How many states have legalised pot? Two? Three? While alcohol is legal everywhere, pot isn't. Until pot is legal in all States, the rule should stay.

Arch Stanton
09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
That in itself is stupid though, how does Marijuana help anyone become a better athlete? It makes you worse if anything so why is he getting banned?

It doesn't matter if it helps or does not help. This rule was agreed upon by the owners and the players. It's a rule that they have to follow. If they need to smoke weed then it could ultimately take $ away from them. Right or wrong it's the rule.

Arch Stanton
09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Employers can't ban someone from doing something while they are off work. It's not like he was hitting his bong while shooting jump shots in the team gym.

Employers do screen for their employees for drugs (including marijuana). So this isn't just an NBA thing. Marijuana can stay in your system for 30 days so it is easier to test for than other substances.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
while I agree it's archaic and should be changed, he has a contract with the National Basketball Association, and smoking weed is a violation of that contract.

IndyRealist
09-18-2014, 11:02 AM

There is a HUGE difference between what they SHOULD do, and what they CAN do. I knew a teacher at a private christian school that banned staff from drinking, which is perfectly legal AND not prohibited in the Bible. If you sign a contract, you are obligated to follow it.

albertajaysfan
09-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Damn there are some serious in the box thinkers in here.

The issue I have with pot compared to say cocaine is that it stays in the system forever because of how your body breaks it down. You can piss clean 3 or 4 days after doing chemicals quite easily while it is pretty much impossible to piss clean if you have smoked pot within the last month. Being legal in certain places is irrelevant I feel.

I won't even go into how ridiculous the drug laws are since that isn't relevant to the conversation.

I must say I hate the argument that it is illegal so therefor must be wrong. It is circular reasoning that proves absolutely nothing. I mean the Patriot Act brought some laws into place in the US that I think any informed person would seriously question. Yes I realize smoking marijuana is different then infringing on your rights and freedoms like the Patriot Act does but it is the same principle. Just because it is a law doesn't mean it is a sound law.

IndyRealist
09-18-2014, 11:24 AM

The issue I have with pot compared to say cocaine is that it stays in the system forever because of how your body breaks it down. You can piss clean 3 or 4 days after doing chemicals quite easily while it is pretty much impossible to piss clean if you have smoked pot within the last month. Being legal in certain places is irrelevant I feel.

I won't even go into how ridiculous the drug laws are since that isn't relevant to the conversation.

I must say I hate the argument that it is illegal so therefor must be wrong. It is circular reasoning that proves absolutely nothing. I mean the Patriot Act brought some laws into place in the US that I think any informed person would seriously question. Yes I realize smoking marijuana is different then infringing on your rights and freedoms like the Patriot Act does but it is the same principle. Just because it is a law doesn't mean it is a sound law.

I don't think anyone has said it is WRONG, but that it violates his contract and he is thus penalized per his contract.

And comparing pot use to the Patriot Act makes me weep for this generation. That POS law is unconstitutional, but no one has the balls to challenge it.

Rockice_8
09-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Let me start by saying I'm pro legalization.

That said, in the NBA it's not legal. Companies/organizations (which is essentially what the NBA is) can set their own rules you must obey. It's legal in CO but not in the NBA. You want to smoke pot in CO go ahead you just can't play in the NBA anymore or accept the consequences.

Plus the NBA is nationwide, it's not legal in all states. The rules are fine in the NBA, until it's legal nationwide the rules don't need any changing. Actually even if it was nationwide they have the right to hold their employees to a higher standard. I'd give up pot to play in the NBA. Get your priorities straight JJ. Millions of dollars or some weed? Seems like an easy decision.

NoahH
09-18-2014, 12:16 PM

+1

It was his 4th offence and it's a banned substance in the NBA. You're getting paid whatever million per year you follow the rule...

Hickson's suspension is the equivalent of 1 NFL game (a.k.a. NOTHING, NBA has way more lenient policies). Josh Gordon got suspended an NBA equivalent of 50 games.

Atticus Finch
09-18-2014, 12:36 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/jj-hickson-suspended-5-games-for-drug-violation-322030.html

Thing is, he PLAYS for Denver, which is IN COLORADO! A state in which pot is LEGAL.

Essentially, Hickson did nothing legally wrong, but the league is now policing activities that are considered legal.

I understand that the league has certain conduct regulations, such as dress code, but when players break these, they get fined. Hickson is missing five games. That is five games without pay. AND he has to miss time.

To put that n context, you can punch a player in the face and get less time than Hickson got for smoking pot in a state where it is legal to do so.

He works in Colorado for half his games, the other half he's playing in states where pot is still illegal.

JustinTime
09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
There is a HUGE difference between what they SHOULD do, and what they CAN do. I knew a teacher at a private christian school that banned staff from drinking, which is perfectly legal AND not prohibited in the Bible. If you sign a contract, you are obligated to follow it.

Religion is full of hypocrisy so that's no surprise. If I ever get caught violating a contract because I used Alcohol I would just say I was under the influence when I signed it.

PurpleLynch
09-18-2014, 01:24 PM
I think NBA's rules on pot should be changed(it doesn't improve your game). But right now he has a contract and he has to respect it,even if I disagree with the stance of the NBA. So fair decision.

PS:I'm smoking pot while I'm writing this. ;)

mightybosstone
09-18-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm very torn on this topic, because I personally think that smoking marijuana should be legalized across the entire country and it's ridiculous that it hasn't been already. But the NBA is also a privately owned company that has the right to place certain rules on its employees as it sees fit. Considering that being a professional athlete involves being in the spotlight and being a role model for children, I see no problem with players being penalized for smoking pot. It's a breach of contract, and just because it's legal in some states doesn't mean it's legal in others.

abe_froman
09-18-2014, 01:31 PM
it should be changed to exempt it.but holy **** the nba rules on pot are pretty lax,how the **** did he end up getting suspended

smiddy012
09-18-2014, 01:34 PM
American society has so many greater, or truly serious, issues to get over than pot... If people wanna smoke pot - let them. Legalizing it would cost no one money except Big Pharma. Not to mention its a healthier "crutch" than alcohol, tobacco, food, violence, etc.

RLundi
09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
it should be changed to exempt it.but holy **** the nba rules on pot are pretty lax,how the **** did he end up getting suspended

Seriously this.

IndyRealist
09-18-2014, 03:21 PM
American society has so many greater, or truly serious, issues to get over than pot... If people wanna smoke pot - let them. Legalizing it would cost no one money except Big Pharma. Not to mention its a healthier "crutch" than alcohol, tobacco, food, violence, etc.

If it becomes nationally legal, it won't be long before the industry is so regulated that the only people capable of producing will be big pharma and multinational food conglomerates like Monsato.

albertajaysfan
09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
If it becomes nationally legal, it won't be long before the industry is so regulated that the only people capable of producing will be big pharma and multinational food conglomerates like Monsato.

It is so easy to grow though it would be impossible to keep people from growing their own personal stash.

albertajaysfan
09-18-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't think anyone has said it is WRONG, but that it violates his contract and he is thus penalized per his contract.

And comparing pot use to the Patriot Act makes me weep for this generation. That POS law is unconstitutional, but no one has the balls to challenge it.

I agree completely that it violates his contract as the current rules state. I just think the rules make no sense on this particular issue.

In terms of the Patriot Act it is one of the reasons I no longer reside in the US. My comparison of the two was to illustrate that laws don't always make sense. I would also argue they are both unconstitutional but that is a whole other topic of discussion as well.

benzni
09-18-2014, 05:14 PM
while I agree it's archaic and should be changed, he has a contract with the National Basketball Association, and smoking weed is a violation of that contract.

This.

THE MTL
09-19-2014, 09:22 AM

You also forgot to put into context the amount of times he failed the drug test back when it was illegal

colinskik
09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

This is the most thoughful post I've read on this topic. As you mentioned, because weed stays in your system longer than other drugs like coke, it's essentially directing players to do harder drugs recreationally because they can't get caught as easily. And anyone who has done drugs knows that cocaine is more dangerous to the user and others than weed.

Captain Moroni
09-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Poll is a joke. Either we agree with your opinion or we agree with your opinion.

Captain Moroni
09-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Professional Athletes are so fortunate to be able to become rich by doing what they love the most. Shut up, stop beating up your wife, stop abusing your children, stop using drugs. Pretty much that simple.
If you want to throw it all away because you can't stop smoking pot.......then you are an idiot.