PDA

View Full Version : starting 2 guard who's bettwr, Klay Thompson or Lance Stephenson?

COOLbeans
09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Eye test and stat test, please disregard any hype surrounding a particular player.

COOLbeans
09-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Me and a couple of other guys were called homers last season for calling Thompson potentually the best 2 way SG guard in the league abd a top 5 player at his position. This was primarily accused by Rockets fans and other Dubs fans that this was a homer statement.

mightybosstone
09-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Indefensible spelling mistake aside, I'd give Thompson the edge. I think Stephenson is the more versatile all around player. He's probably the better defender, I can trust him more to run an offense in a pinch and he's more productive all-around statistically. However, I don't know that I trust his scoring number or efficiency from last season and I certainly don't appreciate his antics on the court.

With Thompson, I know what I'm getting. He's not a great rebounder and he's not going to run your offense for you. But he's about as reliable a 3-point shooter as you'll find and he's still a very good defensive player. You also don't have to worry about Thompson pulling some stupid crap that's going to infuriate the other team and get tons of attention on Sportscenter. I trust his numbers more and I trust him more as a person and a teammate.

Hawkeye15
09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I would pick Thompson out of the 2. I really want to see Stephenson without that elite defense around him on that end, and while I do think Klay is obviously the better shooter/scorer, Stephenson makes the comparison closer because he is a very good rebounder for his position.

But I take Klay by a smidge here

Sadds The Gr8
09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Probably Thompson for the reasons mbt said. Being a top 5 sg isn't saying much tho....it's by far the worst position.

nycericanguy
09-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Klay, especially considering attitude.

But the whole "top 5" SG has never meant less. There are literally like 2 or 3 true star type SG's in the league. The position is as weak as I can remember

smith&wesson
09-17-2014, 11:55 AM
I take Lance, more athletic, can create for himself and others, good slasher, plays good d to

D-Leethal
09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Depends on the rest of the guys around them, but I'd take the prototypical lights out shooter who can D up at the 2 over the wild card, frequently out-of-control playmaker.

MonroeFAN
09-17-2014, 12:48 PM
This is Klay by a mile for me.

It boggles my mind how quickly people over-rate players after one good season.

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Depends on who I got.

If I got a good point guard with a decent back up and a SF that likes to handle the ball (like PP or PG) then I'll take Klay, but if I got a SF with no ball handling skills and my back-up PG isn't solid, or my starting PG gets injured, then I'm taking Stephenson.

Stephenson has a more complete game, so if I am in dire need of additional ball handling and need a little help on the boards, I'll take Stephenson, but if I got good ball handlers and a solid front line, I want Klay for sure.

NYCkid12
09-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd take Oladipo over both of them lol

mRc08
09-17-2014, 01:43 PM
I musts admit I have seen lance play a lot more than klay. So when I think about the "eye" test all I have to go with for klay is his playoff games and the rare occasions they play the bulls. Lance has the ability to take over a game on both ends of the floor, at least for a solid stretch or a quarter.

Still, if I were starting a team right now I would take Klay. 3 point shooting is the current way of the NBA, and if you can get someone to create for him as well I think he's the better player.

I imagine our current bulls lineup and think who I would rather have in. Lance would help out defensively and creating shots, whereas klay would help our 3 point situation. If I had to choose for the bulls right now, I would say Klay. Thats really the best criteria I can go off of considering there are so many different factors to determining who is a better player.

Dade County
09-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Klay is more of a support player, Lance can create and distribute.

So it depends on what a team needs...

If the HEAT had Lance, then of course I would want him running the point more times then not. SO I would most likely take lance because he would help my team more.

DallasTrilla23
09-17-2014, 02:56 PM
I'd take Thompson over Stephenson any day. Better shooter, defender and he can impact the game without having the ball in his hands. Lance needs the ball to be effective

mngopher35
09-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Depends on the rest of the guys around them, but I'd take the prototypical lights out shooter who can D up at the 2 over the wild card, frequently out-of-control playmaker.

This. I think Klay is better especially if you have someone else who can handle the ball and distribute.

I also wouldn't want to rely on Lance in that role too much if possible so if starting from scratch it would still be Klay just knowing he has more of a specific role (3 and D) while Lance is more versatile (but I don't quite trust him, he can be out of control as you said).

TheNumber37
09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Lance is a better passer, Klay is a better shooter.

I would take the spacing and defense Klay provides.

IKnowHoops
09-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Klay, just because of whats between the ears.

RLundi
09-17-2014, 05:39 PM
That W is pretty hideous.

IversonIsKrazy
09-17-2014, 05:44 PM
I'd take Klay. Better shooter and defender. Klay doesn't create too much off the dribble unless its after a pump fake, but he does so much and attracts so much attention away from the ball coming off screens.

smith&wesson
09-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Lance is gonna have a break out season, dont sleep on the kid ... wouldnt be suprised if this thread is bumped and resurfaced at the end of the season.

JPMMalone
09-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Neather, they're both extremely flawed players.

I'd pick Draymond Green easily over both.

MTar786
09-17-2014, 07:14 PM
i would say up untill now its lance but i think from this season onward klay will take over

Leftcoast_yg
09-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Lance for sure. His Defense, post up game, rebounding and play making is better. Klay is a better shooter and scorer from the perimeter but thats about it.

I'll take Lance over Harden Wade and Klay.

beasted86
09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
If Klay's shot isn't falling, he's fairly useless. He's a one dimensional player. Doesn't rebound, assist, draw fouls, or defend particularly well. Stephenson is more versatile as he can play with or without the ball, defend, rebound, assist, and draw fouls. He's a very poor man's young Wade with a bit more shooting range.

Since both of these guys are career 3rd options, I would want the guy who isn't going to be making the max or anything close to it, and can impact the game in multiple ways, so the easy clear as day choice is Stephenson.

mrblisterdundee
09-17-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd say Lance Stephenson is better overall. He's more versatile than Klay Thompson, and his scoring will see a significant increase with the Hornets. Indiana had a slow pace and a stacked starting lineup.

mrblisterdundee
09-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Lance for sure. His Defense, post up game, rebounding and play making is better. Klay is a better shooter and scorer from the perimeter but thats about it.

I'll take Lance over Harden Wade and Klay.

I like defense as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'd take Stephenson over Harden, who's right there with Stephen Curry offensively. But if Stephenson can efficiently score about 20 per game, then maybe.

FlashBolt
09-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Lance Stephenson is so underrated. Granted, his antics overshadowed his game but the dude can ball.. Dude came from the bench to averaging the most triple doubles last year. Klay gets exposed in the playoffs. Lance's attitude may be out of hand but you have to take the good from the bad as well. His intensity is something Klay lacks. He is also a better rebounder and passer than Klay. Klay will not be able to lead your team since he is too one-dimensional. Lance is one of the best all around players in NBA. Also, with his limited amount of opportunity in Pacers, expect him to now play a bigger role. Give me the guy who isn't afraid to go against LeBron over the guy who is afraid.

FriedTofuz
09-17-2014, 10:03 PM
I think Lance is more versatile, but when you put up PPG and shoot a high percentage like Thompson, you're going to get the edge.

Tony_Starks
09-17-2014, 10:10 PM
I absolutely love Lance's game. In particular his handle and one on one defense. But he has a tendency to go one man show on offense, and he always seems on the verge of doing something crazy.

I just can't trust him without a team of Vets around him. You can put Klay on any team and he'll play his role and blend in. Lance's antics on a young team could really be detrimental.

Trueblue2
09-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Easily klay. Lance is good, but ridiculously overrated.

SeoulBeatz
09-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Klay all day. People really underrate him on the defensive end. He's more than a stand-still shooter.

I'm not a fan of Stephenson and I think his percentages will really take a dip if he's asked to increase his scoring load. For every swish, he has a shot that barely clips the side of the backboard. For every ridiculous pass he makes on the break, he'll lose the ball twice.

He's Mr. "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"

D-Leethal
09-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Klay all day. People really underrate him on the defensive end. He's more than a stand-still shooter.

I'm not a fan of Stephenson and I think his percentages will really take a dip if he's asked to increase his scoring load. For every swish, he has a shot that barely clips the side of the backboard. For every ridiculous pass he makes on the break, he'll lose the ball twice.

He's Mr. "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"

He is pretty much a JR Smith clone coming off the best season of his career.