PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the NBA Paywall: Six Intriguing Extension Candidates

mrblisterdundee
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Grantland, as usual, presented an interesting piece about extensions coming for six NBA players (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/). They include Tristian Thompson, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Jimmy Butler, Alec Burks and Brandon Knight.
What do you think about extensions for these guys?
I think Vucevic and Butler will push for max deals. I can't see anyone else on that list getting more than $7 million per season. But the salary cap is going to increase quite a bit in the coming years, which should push up overall contract values to a new normal, including six-figure deals for a lesser point guard like Knight.

Confusious
09-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Thompson is now backing Love, so his demands are going to be much lower than what they could (and possibly even should) be. Butler, a max player? Man, that should cause another lockout by itself.

mightybosstone
09-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Grantland, as usual, presented an interesting piece about extensions coming for six NBA players (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/). They include Tristian Thompson, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Jimmy Butler, Alec Burks and Brandon Knight.
What do you think about extensions for these guys?
I think Vucevic and Butler will push for max deals. I can't see anyone else on that list getting more than $7 million per season. But the salary cap is going to increase quite a bit in the coming years, which should push up overall contract values to a new normal, including six-figure deals for a lesser point guard like Knight.

Butler can push for a max deal all he wants, but he's not remotely worth that. Ariza and Stephenson are both better players and just got $8-9 million a year. I think that's his best case scenario. Vucevic isn't worth a max either, but I could see him getting $12 million+ because of the lack of quality big men in the league. Thompson should be interesting, because he's probably worth at least $8 million+ per year, but since he's a backup, I don't know that Cleveland will be willing to give him that.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
As a big time Jimmy Butler fan, he's nowhere near the max. Not even 8 figures. I'm hoping the Bulls can secure him with something like a 4/30-4/36 extension this year.

WSU Tony
09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I love how the max used to be for franchise players. Now the max is for any average/above average player to demand as a starting point. Rubio requested a max a few months ago. Ricky flippin Rubio.

mightybosstone
09-17-2014, 11:48 AM
I love how the max used to be for franchise players. Now the max is for any average/above average player to demand as a starting point. Rubio requested a max a few months ago. Ricky flippin Rubio.

I think it depends a lot on positional value, though. Look at what elite PGs are making around the league and half of them aren't getting paid close to the max. Lowry just got $12 million a year, but if he was a forward or center, I guarantee he would have made max money.

MonroeFAN
09-17-2014, 12:52 PM
wtf, Butler a max deal? This is getting out of hand if true.

mrblisterdundee
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
wtf, Butler a max deal? This is getting out of hand if true.
Here's from the story:

Chicago might have a window now to ink Butler on a long-term deal that wagers on a rebound but doesn’t carry the full cost of one. If Butler turns it down and plays well enough to draw a max offer sheet, the Bulls could shrug, sign it, and know they did their best to get a better deal.