PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson's agent wants max extension?

kobe4thewinbang
09-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Maybe balking at giving Klay to Minnesota for Kevin Love is coming back to haunt Golden State.

Is he really the best two-way guard in the league?

Source - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/09/15/klay-thompson-usa-basketball-golden-state-warriors-trade-rumors-stephen-curry/15683665/

MADRID Klay Thompson bound out of the celebratory Team USA locker room, his feet floating forward but his eyes focused downward on the new piece of memorabilia that he carried like a newborn.

It was the kind of basketball you never bounce.

Each of his NBA brethren on this American team that won the FIBA World Cup gold medal had signed the ball, and Thompson a 24-year-old from the Golden State Warriors whom no one had expected to be here still was struggling to process what had just transpired.

"If I ever go broke, this will come in handy (in an auction)," he said with a laugh while marveling at all the elite names that surrounded his.

But Thompson's not likely to fall on hard times anytime soon, not with the way his skyrocketing value has been on display in varied ways these past few months. Talk about timing.

Thompson and the Warriors have until Oct. 31 to agree on an extension that would ensure the "Splash Brothers," as he and All-Star point guard Stephen Curry have been dubbed, are in the same pool for years to come. Failing to reach a deal would mean he'll become a restricted free agent next summer, a scenario that Thompson and his agent, Bill Duffy, would prefer to avoid.

Yet Duffy is widely known to be demanding a maximum contract that the Warriors would prefer not to pay. His reasoning? He sees Thompson as the best shooting guard in the game.

"I don't want (Los Angeles Lakers star) Kobe Bryant to go crazy, but there's some uncertainty as to who he is right now (because of injuries that limited him to six games last season)," Duffy told USA TODAY Sports. "But I think Klay Thompson right now is the top two-way, two-guard in basketball. I think when you look at his body of work, when you look at what he accomplished guarding point guards on a regular basis (last season), I think it's pretty clear."

Truth be told, he may be right.

"I've been telling him (he's the best two-way shooting guard) for a couple of years now," said Mychal Thompson, who has the unique distinction of being on both sides of the argument as Klay's father and an ex-Laker and longtime commentator for Bryant's team. "Everybody knows that he can score, but I always told him I'm so proud of how he takes so much pride in defense as he does with scoring.

"That backcourt is special. You don't break that up. He and Steph, they are a great combination, like Laurel and Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Sanford & Son. They're perfect together. ... I expect them to be together another 10 years. I'd be shocked if they're not."

The "two-way" qualifier is a vital one, as Thompson's ability to be a dominant perimeter defender in addition to a deadly shooter and scorer is quickly separating him from his contemporaries. The Houston Rockets' James Harden, for example, is roundly ridiculed for his defense and thus not part of such a conversation. The Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade is among the best when healthy, but has played in only 172 of 230 possible regular season games in the past three seasons (74.7%).

The leverage in this situation appears to be all Thompson's at the moment, with the sequence of events that began last season putting all sorts of pressure on the Warriors to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

After a regular season in which he posted career highs in points (18.4 per game), field-goal percentage (44.4%) and three-point percentage (41.7%), Thompson routinely guarded Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul in the first round of the playoffs and reminded his bosses how vital his defensive versatility is in the seven-game series loss.

The Warriors spent months talking to the Minnesota Timberwolves about trading for three-time All-Star Kevin Love, then ultimately decided against in large part because it would have cost them Thompson. Their internal view of his worth was made quite clear in the process.

Last but certainly not least, he became a Team USA breakout star, averaging 12.7 points per game (second on the team behind Harden at 14.2) while showcasing his shot that USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo called an "art form" and playing the kind of defense that had coach Mike Krzyzewski deeming him "as good a player as we've had."

Warriors owner Joe Lacob preferred not to discuss the extension situation but made it clear that Thompson is seen as a major priority for their program. As he pointed out, the organization has been making moves with Thompson in mind for quite some time now. In March 2012, they traded Monta Ellis to the Milwaukee Bucks not only to land center Andrew Bogut, but also to make room for Thompson during his rookie season.

"We love Klay," Lacob said in an e-mail to USA TODAY Sports. "He is clearly an integral part of our team and our future. I remember sitting courtside at Stanford Pac-12 games watching Klay at (Washington State) for three years. I thought he could be a prototype big shooting guard in the NBA and we targeted him in the draft and were ecstatic to be able to draft him at (No.) 11 in the first round.

"We traded an excellent guard freeing up a starting spot for him and, as is known, despite many requests from other teams over the last few years, we have continued to bet on his continued development. We are very proud that he is a Warrior and also of his major contribution on this year's USA Basketball team. We are looking forward to a great year for Klay, the Splash Brothers and the Warriors."

For Thompson's part, he'd prefer to focus on the game and leave the business side to Duffy. He's old-school in that way, a quiet type with an underrated edge who is thrilled that he's not heading back home to put on a Timberwolves jersey.

It's nothing personal against the Minnesota franchise, Thompson told USA TODAY Sports in a recent interview at the team's hotel in Madrid, but the Los Angeles native is simply in love with the Bay Area and the basketball that they play there.

"I'm super excited to be back," Thompson said, as though he had temporarily left the Warriors. "I love the Bay Area. I love the Warriors, the fans. I just love our team."

Being a part of trade rumors is part of the unofficial job description in the NBA, but this was different. Not only did the Warriors-T'wolves situation drag on for more than a month, but the early indications that Golden State had been willing to trade Thompson were followed, in the end, with a hard stance that they simply wouldn't give him up. One national report indicated that Thompson was angry about it all, though he said that's not the case.

"I wasn't really pissed," Thompson said. "I was more just worried about being traded, just because I'm so comfortable in the Bay. I think that's natural for anybody (to not want to) just get up and move. I mean it wouldn't have been the end of the world, but it's a business, and I'm still playing ball for a living.

"I was more happy when they showed faith in me that they didn't want to budge and trade me for a guy (in Love) who's a multiple all-NBA guy and a proven All-Star. I thought that was really cool that the Warriors believed in my potential."

But what about the potential to make your own way, to break free of the Curry shadow and become the face of a franchise elsewhere? Thompson says he had no interest, that the Warriors' winning ways coupled with his fondness for the area and the fans meant he wanted to stay. And with Steve Kerr having replaced Mark Jackson as head coach and the Warriors having added to the bench depth that was such a problem last season, Thompson sees a chance to win it all.

"We had one of the best starting fives last year, and we've got an even deeper bench this year, with Draymond (Green), Harrison (Barnes), Leandro (Barbosa), Shaun Livingston, (Brandon) Rush, Festus (Ezeli) is going to come back with Mo Speights. I really believe we can be a championship team.

"Me and Steph have another year together, and we've got a proven big man, all-NBA defender (in Bogut). I really believe we can be a championship team I know (the Western Conference) is a gauntlet, but we can do it."

As all those pictures of Thompson and Curry biting their gold medals on Sunday night showed, he got a taste of the championship experience with Team USA. Next up, Bryant's shooting guard throne and the continuation of a promising career.

"Hopefully NBA champion, one of the best two-way players in the game on the wing, a guy who is consistent and durable," Thompson said when asked to describe his vision for the years ahead. "Those four things, and I'll be happy. All the accolades as far as All-NBA, All-Star, that comes with winning and uplifting your team to a new level."

His signed Team USA basketball, in other words, won't be hocked for much-needed cash anytime soon.

Bruno
09-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I knew Thompson was legit as soon as I saw him (instead of Iggy) guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs. Klay can ball.

goingfor28
09-16-2014, 05:03 PM
He's nice but a max deal is quite a reach

Chronz
09-16-2014, 05:24 PM
I just dont see whats so special about him, hes like a notch above Danny Green to me.

UPRock
09-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Hayward got a max deal, so why he shouldn't? He's better

Chronz
09-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Hayward got a max deal, so why he shouldn't? He's better

Good point. Both guys are in the same stratosphere to me but I wouldn't want to be the team to pay either of them 15M.

curtcocaine
09-16-2014, 06:31 PM
As a warriors fan im mad as hell he wants more money than Steph. Yes some nights he's on fire, but he's clearly not consistent enough to be granted a max. 2hen I hear max I think of guys like Durant, Kobe, Hell even Melo. Players whom you have to game plan against on a game to game basis.

BALLER R
09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
The real questions is when he said Klay is the best two way player, who agrees with that?

smith&wesson
09-16-2014, 06:45 PM
no suprises here, if Hayward and Parsons can get the max and with Bledsoe demanding one its a no brainer Thompson would demand the same.

If you ask me none of them are worth it. not at all. the nba market is, what it is.

smith&wesson
09-16-2014, 06:46 PM
The real questions is when he said Klay is the best two way player, who agrees with that?

to be fair, the op said best two way guard.. I dont agree with it, just clarifying.

smith&wesson
09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Good point. Both guys are in the same stratosphere to me but I wouldn't want to be the team to pay either of them 15M.

the nba market is a joke anyway. what guys get paid and what they should get are two different things. what does rudy gay make next year 19 million ? lol

mightybosstone
09-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Thompson should and will get a max deal based on the the market and the contracts given to Parsons and Hayward. But Parsons and Hayward didn't deserve those contracts either. All three of those guys should have made somewhere in the $9-12 million a year range at the most. And the teams that give them those awful contracts are eventually going to end up seriously regretting it.

If I'm Golden State, I wait to see how the season plays out. If he makes some significant improvements in his game and proves he's worthy of being a legitimate No. 2 in the NBA, you give him the max deal. If he's the same guy he was last season, you trade him to the highest bidder at the trade deadline and let that contract become someone else's headache.

Saddletramp
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Thompson and the Warriors have until Oct. 31 to agree on an extension that would ensure the "Splash Brothers," as he and All-Star point guard Stephen Curry have been dubbed, are in the same pool for years to come. Failing to reach a deal would mean he'll become a restricted free agent next summer, a scenario that Thompson and his agent, Bill Duffy, would prefer to avoid.

So, They want the Warriors to sign him to the max before the season starts because they're afraid no one will give him a max deal offer next offseason and even if a team does, they're afraid the Warriors might not match. I thought the agents/players say they want the market to decide a players value? Klay wants the max and it looks like he might not sign for less than that so why would the Warriors sign him to it before the season? If I'm the Warriors, I'm either telling him I'll sign him for a discount now or I'll match if he can find anyone to give him a max (unless he signs some atrocious deal like Parsons did but I think the Warriors value Thompson more than the Rockets valued Parsons)

Didn't some team do this a few years ago with (I think) Mike Dunleavy? Whichever team that was bidded against themselves instead of letting them go and get the best offer that they could.
EDIT: It was Dunleavy and the team was the Warriirs. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him early at what he wants because I guess that's the Warrior Way (although I don't think MD's was for the max; it was 5years/$44m but he still wouldn't have fetched that on the open market).)

FlashBolt
09-16-2014, 09:29 PM
So this guy thinks his son is better than Curry? Lmao, what a nut job... Klay isn't worth max and if he is, then LeBron should be getting a salary of $100 million per season.

TrueFan420
09-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Thompson should and will get a max deal based on the the market and the contracts given to Parsons and Hayward. But Parsons and Hayward didn't deserve those contracts either. All three of those guys should have made somewhere in the $9-12 million a year range at the most. And the teams that give them those awful contracts are eventually going to end up seriously regretting it.

If I'm Golden State, I wait to see how the season plays out. If he makes some significant improvements in his game and proves he's worthy of being a legitimate No. 2 in the NBA, you give him the max deal. If he's the same guy he was last season, you trade him to the highest bidder at the trade deadline and let that contract become someone else's headache.

Spot on. Also I believe that this is just agent talk and he will come back for less. Probably 12 million a year to not handy cap the team that just put so much faith in him.

slaker619
09-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I say a big contract. but no max deal till he really starts puttin' up numbers

Hawkeye15
09-16-2014, 10:47 PM
I just dont see whats so special about him, hes like a notch above Danny Green to me.

exactly. Being one of the best at a horrible position also makes no sense when you are trying to push that agenda...

moshy2
09-16-2014, 11:09 PM
He's not deserving of it. Let him play out the season and prove he's worth it. He looked good with Team USA. Hoping he plays with a chip on his shoulder, being in trade rumors, and proves we made the right decision.

Crackadalic
09-16-2014, 11:26 PM
I think Klay is worth the max even in a weak sg era

Only 23 and will get better

One of the better shooters in the game

One of the better on ball defenders at his position

No crazy off the court issues

No injury issues that plagues many max extension players(Rose,Possibly Kyrie)

Now he does have his flaws.
He doesn't create his own shot often
As good as a a on the ball defender as he is he isn't good on team defense(which can probably be related to mark jackson schemes.)
Doesn't pass as often(maybe due to Curry having the ball in his hands more?)
Low attempts at the FT line

Things like team defense and better isolation scoring can be corrected with good coaching

Now if I'm taking a chance on giving him a max with the chance he improves in a lot of those areas then I'm taking that risk.

lamzoka
09-17-2014, 12:59 AM
the nba market is a joke anyway. what guys get paid and what they should get are two different things. what does rudy gay make next year 19 million ? lol

This will we be a problem during the next CBA negotiation. If everybody wants the max then how much is LeBron worth?

FlashBolt
09-17-2014, 01:03 AM
I think Klay is worth the max even in a weak sg era

Only 23 and will get better

One of the better shooters in the game

One of the better on ball defenders at his position

No crazy off the court issues

No injury issues that plagues many max extension players(Rose,Possibly Kyrie)

Now he does have his flaws.
He doesn't create his own shot often
As good as a a on the ball defender as he is he isn't good on team defense(which can probably be related to mark jackson schemes.)
Doesn't pass as often(maybe due to Curry having the ball in his hands more?)
Low attempts at the FT line

Things like team defense and better isolation scoring can be corrected with good coaching

Now if I'm taking a chance on giving him a max with the chance he improves in a lot of those areas then I'm taking that risk.

1) Only 23 and hasn't proven much. I mean what has he done thus far? What about him being a no-show in the playoffs?
2) No crazy off court issues because he's clearly not in the light of media. He's not a superstar. Heck, I can name 20 players better than him without thinking twice. And there's no way 20 players deserve a max extension in the NBA right now.

He's not very impressive. Good player who will be exposed if he wasn't riding Curry's back. It seems everyone thinks they are the next James Harden situation type player.. Sit back, prove your value, and shut up about getting a max. Since when did 16 points on 40% shooting in the playoffs warrant a max extension?

Sadds The Gr8
09-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Yea. I like him but he's really overrated in the media. Can't create his own shot for his life

JLeBeau76
09-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Two things you have to factor in when thinking about this.

Its not a MAX max, its around, what, the same thing Kyrie Irving got. Considering potential and past production, there are arguments that can be made he's worth it.

Also, when the cap takes a major increase in two years thanks to the new tv deals, he will essentially be locked up for three years on a better looking deal.

THE MTL
09-17-2014, 01:49 AM
He is def worth a max deal. Haywood and parsons set the stage with those caliber of players getting 16mil per season

Bruno
09-17-2014, 02:34 AM

me neither. but with projections of a cap above $80 million for 2017 after the new TV deal, I'd love him starting at 12, ending at 15 in year four. back load the contract. $54M over 4 years?

benny01
09-17-2014, 02:36 AM
It's a market thing, not a talent thing. Who's a better 2 thats available for less? He's a legit 2. He plays both ways and has good size, unfortunately those are rare traits today.

JTHunter
09-17-2014, 05:01 AM
Put a SF on him and he shuts down. I've seen it happen about 15 times as I catch about 30 to 40 Warrior games a season.

Confusious
09-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Maybe balking at giving Klay to Minnesota for Kevin Love is coming back to haunt Golden State.
You mean like how Cleveland refused to allow Wiggins be on the table for the Love talks? Yeah, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read. I'd say he's worth the max on a **** team, but on GS? That's gonna hurt.

Crackadalic
09-17-2014, 06:38 AM
1) Only 23 and hasn't proven much. I mean what has he done thus far? What about him being a no-show in the playoffs?
2) No crazy off court issues because he's clearly not in the light of media. He's not a superstar. Heck, I can name 20 players better than him without thinking twice. And there's no way 20 players deserve a max extension in the NBA right now.

He's not very impressive. Good player who will be exposed if he wasn't riding Curry's back. It seems everyone thinks they are the next James Harden situation type player.. Sit back, prove your value, and shut up about getting a max. Since when did 16 points on 40% shooting in the playoffs warrant a max extension?

You do realize with the cap raising to probably 75-80 mil with the new TV deal that 14-15 mil a year would probably be equivalent to players making 9-10 million when that deal goes through.

Also just because a 3rd year player only shot 40% from the field in the playoffs doesn't mean jack to me. That fact he made the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd year helps him anyway to gain more experience as a player

Also nobody said Klay Thompson was a superstar. Only Lebron and Durant claim that title

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Will the Warriors keep their starting core together if they give the max to Klay? Figure Curry, Iggy, Lee, Bogut make $11M or more per year. But I see Lee is free agent when first year of new contract kicks in after RFA year of Klay in 2016/17.

c.c.
09-17-2014, 10:00 AM
As a warriors fan im mad as hell he wants more money than Steph. Yes some nights he's on fire, but he's clearly not consistent enough to be granted a max. 2hen I hear max I think of guys like Durant, Kobe, Hell even Melo. Players whom you have to game plan against on a game to game basis.

That's what me feel better about losing Parsons. Giving him about the same amount money that Harden makes would of probably started locker room and on the court issues between the two. Which would of lead to trading one of them somewhere down the line.