PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #9 SF In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

2014 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings
1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul George
5) Kawhi Leonard
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Chandler Parsons
7) Nicolas Batum
9)
10)

2013 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Andre Iguodala
5) Paul Pierce
6) Kawhi Leonard
7) Luol Deng
8) Danilo Gallinari
9) Rudy Gay
10) Chandler Parsons

2012 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Rudy Gay
7) Luol Deng
8) Danny Granger
9) Danilo Gallinari
10) Nicolas Batum

2011 Off-Season Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Danny Granger
7) Luol Deng
8) Rudy Gay
9) Gerald Wallace
10) Danilo Gallinari

2010 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Gerald Wallace
7) Andre Iguodala
8) Rudy Gay
9) Luol Deng
10) Ron Artest

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

I Rock Shaqs
09-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Rudy Gay?

SLY WILLIAMS
09-15-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm going with Gallo. I hope he can come back healthy this season. He was such a fun player to watch.

Seizabmc
09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
If you people consider kd as a sf than why not dirk?

And doesn't iggy fall into the Sg spot.

mightybosstone
09-15-2014, 06:03 PM
If this was healthy Gallo from two years ago, I'd be picking him here. But I honestly don't think he deserves to crack the top 10 because it's been so long since we've since him play. For me, it's a tossup between Ariza, Deng and Gay, and you could make a decent argument for any of the three. Ariza was by far the most efficient last season and has the case as the best defender, but Gay and Deng are clearly more reliable and more versatile offensively.

Gay actually made a pretty significant improvement in scoring efficiency last season, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for him here. I went with Ariza mostly as a homer vote more than anything, but I think any of those three guys would be a decent pick. I actually wouldn't hate Pierce cracking the top 10 either, but I just think he's passed his prime and he'll never be that guy again.

mightybosstone
09-15-2014, 06:06 PM
If you people consider kd as a sf than why not dirk?

How is that a legitimate comparison? The vast majority of KD's minutes (more than three-quarters) came at the SF position last year. Meanwhile, 98% of Dirk's minutes came at PF.

THE MTL
09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
I guess Rudy Gay

nycericanguy
09-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Ariza, the guy who's bee on 6 teams in 6 years with a career scoring average of 9ppg on 43% is a top 10 SF now?... no way...

Just a classic case of a guy putting up decent numbers on a contract year, and getting way too much credit for being on a 44 win team in a historically weak east.

Gallo, Pierce, Gay, Deng, Young are all better than him, heck I'd even take Wilson Chandler over him. The numbers Ariza put up last year, Wilson has been putting up his entire career on better efficiency.

And why isn't Hayward on this list? He's certainly another guy I'd take over Ariza.

mightybosstone
09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Ariza, the guy who's bee on 6 teams in 6 years with a career scoring average of 9ppg on 43% is a top 10 SF now?... no way...

Just a classic case of a guy putting up decent numbers on a contract year, and getting way too much credit for being on a 44 win team in a historically weak east.
You're forgetting that this is an annual list that changes every year and relies extremely heavily on the prior season. Also, your career numbers don't take into consideration that he came into the league at age 19 and has topped 10+ PPG four times in the last five years. Or that he probably had a better season of anyone left on the board last season.

Gallo, Pierce, Gay, Deng, Young are all better than him.
Pierce was not better last year. Period. And I'm not sure how you can justify that. Gallo hasn't played in over a year, so he's kind of irrelevant in an annual poll like this. In fact, I'm not sure why he's on the list considering Rose wasn't an option for point guards. You could make a decent case for Gay, Young or Deng over Ariza. But if I'm going off of last year, I think he had the best season of the four. Only time will tell if last season was a fluke or if Ariza has legitimately made a marked improvement in his career.

heck I'd even take Wilson Chandler over him. The numbers Ariza put up last year, Wilson has been putting up his entire career on better efficiency.
That's not true at all. Ariza had a 59% TS% last season and Wilson is a career 53% guy. Also, Ariza posted a 14/6/3/2 last year with well above average advanced stats across the board. Chandler has only posted a PER over 15 or a WS/48 over .100 once in his entire career and he hasn't posted a season with a stat line that productive in like 4-5 years.

And why isn't Hayward on this list? He's certainly another guy I'd take over Ariza.
I can't remember if we voted on him as a SG or SF, but I know he cracked the top 10 for one of those polls.

FOBolous
09-16-2014, 03:07 PM
it's really interesting to see how the rankings change over time...to see how some player "make the jump" while others drop off.

nycericanguy
09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
You're forgetting that this is an annual list that changes every year and relies extremely heavily on the prior season. Also, your career numbers don't take into consideration that he came into the league at age 19 and has topped 10+ PPG four times in the last five years. Or that he probably had a better season of anyone left on the board last season.

Pierce was not better last year. Period. And I'm not sure how you can justify that. Gallo hasn't played in over a year, so he's kind of irrelevant in an annual poll like this. In fact, I'm not sure why he's on the list considering Rose wasn't an option for point guards. You could make a decent case for Gay, Young or Deng over Ariza. But if I'm going off of last year, I think he had the best season of the four. Only time will tell if last season was a fluke or if Ariza has legitimately made a marked improvement in his career.

That's not true at all. Ariza had a 59% TS% last season and Wilson is a career 53% guy. Also, Ariza posted a 14/6/3/2 last year with well above average advanced stats across the board. Chandler has only posted a PER over 15 or a WS/48 over .100 once in his entire career and he hasn't posted a season with a stat line that productive in like 4-5 years.

I can't remember if we voted on him as a SG or SF, but I know he cracked the top 10 for one of those polls.

we get it, you'll defend anything HOU related no matter what.

Bottom line is Ariza had a DECENT season in a contract year, his 59% TS that you speak of was well above his career 51% coming into last season. This is not the "who had the best statistical season last year" poll, it's "who's the better player". And 77 games in a contract year isn't enough to put him above guys that have been doing it year in and year out consistently. Fact is even Ariza's career year isn't overwhelming. He's a journey man who has been extremely inconsistent and who's 2 best years just happen to have been in contract years. I know you're gonna defend him b/c he's a ROcket now, but let's not act like he's anything more than a decent role player who had a good year.

i think we'll be looking back in 2 years saying "Ariza was a top 10 SF"??? What was PSD thinking?

mightybosstone
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
we get it, you'll defend anything HOU related no matter what.
lol. Honestly, I don't think Ariza should go here. I think it should probably be Gay or Deng. I'm not arguing that Ariza is the best player left on the board. I'm arguing that I think he has as strong a case as anybody for having the best season last year, and he's got a pretty decent case to go here.

Bottom line is Ariza had a DECENT season in a contract year, his 59% TS that you speak of was well above his career 51% coming into last season. This is not the "who had the best statistical season last year" poll, it's "who's the better player". And 77 games in a contract year isn't enough to put him above guys that have been doing it year in and year out consistently.
You're right. And based on age and injuries, Ariza deserves to go ahead of Pierce and Gallo, respectively. He is the better player right now on paper. You could make a decent case for Deng, Gay or Young here as well. I'm not disputing that. Also, you keep bringing up a contract year (as does everyone else), but why does that always have to be the reason Ariza played well? Couldn't it have been because he has made some legitimate improvements as a 3-point shooter and learned how to play efficient basketball? It certainly wouldn't be the first time a player has done that midway through his career.

Fact is even Ariza's career year isn't overwhelming. He's a journey man who has been extremely inconsistent and who's 2 best years just happen to have been in contract years.
Everyone brings up that first contract year, and I'd love to know what they're referring to. He averaged a whopping 9/4/2/2 in 08-09 before the Rockets gave him that contract. And it was one of his most efficient seasons, but he was also playing only 24 minutes per game. But I don't see why that was his second best season. He was less efficient, but far more productive over the next five seasons. And if you're looking solely at efficiency or advanced stats, he was better in 06-07 or 07-08.

I know you're gonna defend him b/c he's a ROcket now, but let's not act like he's anything more than a decent role player who had a good year. i think we'll be looking back in 2 years saying "Ariza was a top 10 SF"??? What was PSD thinking?
Right now, I do think it's safe to say that Ariza is just a solid role player who had a really good year. There's nothing wrong with that. But if I'm looking at the 10 best SF in the league, that's kind of where we're at. It's at that point where you have to pick between really good role players or really inefficient, but more productive scorers. I'm not saying that Ariza is a clear cut pick here. Far from it. I'm saying he has a decent case at this spot.

And does it help that Ariza is a Rocket? Of course it does. I'll openly admit that the only reason I voted for him was because he's a Rocket. But that doesn't mean I can't be objective about this discussion and look at it from all angles.

jimm120
09-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Ariza was a TOP 10 SF LAST SEASON...and that's what we're gauging right now.

I, personally, would have had him even in front of Parsons around #6 or #7.

Will he stay there? Who knows (probably not). But that doesn't change what he did last season.

JTHunter
09-17-2014, 04:52 AM
it's really interesting to see how the rankings change over time...to see how some player "make the jump" while others drop off.

You do know these lists aren't accurate right? They're pretty much just for fun.

And is there any reason why this board can't do top PF's and C's and so on at the same time?

JTHunter
09-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Ariza was a TOP 10 SF LAST SEASON...and that's what we're gauging right now.

I, personally, would have had him even in front of Parsons around #6 or #7.

Will he stay there? Who knows (probably not). But that doesn't change what he did last season.

I'd rather the list or ranking be weighted on projection and next season aswell.

mightybosstone
09-17-2014, 08:38 AM
You do know these lists aren't accurate right? They're pretty much just for fun.

And is there any reason why this board can't do top PF's and C's and so on at the same time?

The idea is to to stretch this out over the course of the offseason and try to encourage discussion among each vote rather than stretch that activity too far between multiple votes at the same time.

I'd rather the list or ranking be weighted on projection and next season aswell.
But then what are you basing it on? It would essentially be weighted too heavily on the hypothetical, when there are an infinite number of things that could happen next season. For example, Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant could come back and play at their pre-injury levels or they could come back as shells of their former selves and be plagued by injuries all season long. There's just no way of knowing.

JPMMalone
09-17-2014, 06:38 PM
The idea is to to stretch this out over the course of the offseason and try to encourage discussion among each vote rather than stretch that activity too far between multiple votes at the same time.

But then what are you basing it on? It would essentially be weighted too heavily on the hypothetical, when there are an infinite number of things that could happen next season. For example, Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant could come back and play at their pre-injury levels or they could come back as shells of their former selves and be plagued by injuries all season long. There's just no way of knowing.

I think and many out there think it's better to weight it on what they did at the end of the season and how they finished up the season and possibly what they did in the playoffs. Many think it's good to look at the projection of a player and if they finished the season on a good note. Cause it's rather silly to only look at what they did a year ago last november in games that aren't as rough as games are in April and May.

Is Wiggins on this list yet, Cause anyone that understands the game and what it takes to play can see he'll be a nice player with alot of spring. Probably average about 16 ppg with good defense. Can't say the same about some of these other players.

Parsons averaged 14ppg on 41% the final 45 games of the season. And shot only 41% in the playoffs as well. He's nothing to shout about. Sure he had a lucky November. But lets not rank him top 6 or 7 just because of one month 10 monthes ago. I'd rather rank a player by what they did in April and May which was only like 5 months ago.

So you're the one that is basing it on hypothetical judging an NBA player just off November and not whether they wore down as the season went or got stronger.

Seizabmc
09-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Deing should go here.
Probally even higher , it's just that he had a bad year.
Playing for a team that he wanted no parts of.