PDA

View Full Version : Could Canada be the best Team USA opponent ever in 2019 and 2020?

mrblisterdundee
09-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Spain and France were likely it. But they're getting older; their best players either are or will be in the near future sitting out; and their current teams couldn't make the final against Team USA.
Could Canada assemble the best national team the Team USA has ever played? I assume that the U.S. will still be the most talented by far, unless it decides to send a bunch of college players.
I know this is wild speculation, as nobody can know if all of Canada's best players will suit up in 2019 and 2020 for the FIBA Wold Cup and the Olympics, respectively. But there seems to be a perfect storm of age and talent.
FIBA pushed its tournament a year back, taking it off the same year as the FIFA World Cup. Here's at least somewhat of an idea of what Canada will bring to the World Cup, if everyone's healthy and willing (all ages are set to 2019 for the FIBA World Cup):

PG: Tyler Ennis (23), Corey Joseph (26)
SG: Nik Stauskas (23)
SF: Andrew Wiggins (22), Anthony Bennett (24), Melvin Ejim (26)
PF: Tristan Thompson (26), Dwight Powell (26), Khem Birch (25)
C: Kelly Olynyk (26), Robert Sacre (28), Jordan Bachynski (27)
Coaches: Jay Triano, Steve Nash

The U.S. doesn't have to worry about Nash, 43, running the offense. Even then, I decided to leave out a raft of veteran forwards and centers like Samuel Dalembert, 36, Joel Anthony, 35, Andrew Nicholson, 27 in exchange for youth and speed.
Bachynski, who's 7'2" and led college basketball in blocked shots in 2013-14, could very well be the best Canadian center by then. There are also prospects like forwards Montaque Gill-Ceasar, 21, and Justin Jackson, 19, who I left off but could be good enough to make the team by that point.
And Canada can still naturalize one foreign player. I'd see if Kyle Lowry, 31, or Eric Bledsoe, 27, are willing.
But either way, that team struck me as the most talented the U.S. will have ever played against in FIBA or the Olympics.
Spain will still be good, but by that point Pau Gasol, 37, will be a little too old, even if he plays. Marc Gasol, 32, and Serge Ibaka, 27, could still be the best front court in the tournament, depending on who Spain and the U.S. sends.
France is also solid in the front, with Joakim Noah, 32, Kevin Seraphin, 27, Nicolas Batum, 28, and Rudy Gobert, 25. But Tony Parker, 35, and Boris Diaw, 35, will be getting up there as well.
What do you think?

P.S.: I hope there's some technicality that can allow Nash to take someone's spot for a couple minutes and give it back, so he can be eligible for a medal. He deserves it.

xxplayerxx23
09-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Meh don't think so.

albertajaysfan
09-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Spain and France were likely it. But they're getting older; their best players either are or will be in the near future sitting out; and their current teams couldn't make the final against Team USA.
Could Canada assemble the best national team the Team USA has ever played? I assume that the U.S. will still be the most talented by far, unless it decides to send a bunch of college players.
I know this is wild speculation, as nobody can know if all of Canada's best players will suit up in 2019 and 2020 for the FIBA Wold Cup and the Olympics, respectively. But there seems to be a perfect storm of age and talent.
FIBA pushed its tournament a year back, taking it off the same year as the FIFA World Cup. Here's at least somewhat of an idea of what Canada will bring to the World Cup, if everyone's healthy and willing (all ages are set to 2019 for the FIBA World Cup):

The U.S. doesn't have to worry about Nash, 43, running the offense. Even then, I decided to leave out a raft of veteran forwards and centers like Samuel Dalembert, 36, Joel Anthony, 35, Andrew Nicholson, 27 in exchange for youth and speed.
Bachynski, who's 7'2" and led college basketball in blocked shots in 2013-14, could very well be the best Canadian center by then. There are also prospects like forwards Montaque Gill-Ceasar, 21, and Justin Jackson, 19, who I left off but could be good enough to make the team by that point.
And Canada can still naturalize one foreign player. I'd see if Kyle Lowry, 31, or Eric Bledsoe, 27, are willing.
But either way, that team struck me as the most talented the U.S. will have ever played against in FIBA or the Olympics.
Spain will still be good, but by that point Pau Gasol, 37, will be a little too old, even if he plays. Marc Gasol, 32, and Serge Ibaka, 27, could still be the best front court in the tournament, depending on who Spain and the U.S. sends.
France is also solid in the front, with Joakim Noah, 32, Kevin Seraphin, 27, Nicolas Batum, 28, and Rudy Gobert, 25. But Tony Parker, 35, and Boris Diaw, 35, will be getting up there as well.
What do you think?

P.S.: I hope there's some technicality that can allow Nash to take someone's spot for a couple minutes and give it back, so he can be eligible for a medal. He deserves it.

It is entirely possible. Would be good for these tournaments for there to be real competition.

Edit: Nash is currently the GM of the Canadian team so he would get a medal if they won one I believe.

5ass
09-15-2014, 12:11 AM
I dont think Wiggins is ever going to be that player people think he's going to be. Not the next LeBron, more like the next Paul George. He won't be the best in his draft. Anthony bennet has only proven he can't play in the NBA so far. Tristan Thompson is a bench player talent. Olynyk and stauskus will be good players, probably make a couple of all star games throughout their careers. That's my opinion of all these players. Canadian basketball is on the rise though.

JEDean89
09-15-2014, 12:19 AM
why is it the 2019 world cup when they have been 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2019?

i agree though that canada will be really good. I also think France, Australia (Exum, and a projected #1 pick in 2016 PF Ben Simmons), and Greece (the Antentokounmpos, 4 of them at some point). International competition should be getting interesting. Hopefully Senegal has another stud big on their hands in Diop, and maybe Embiid can play for a European team that nationalizes him, like Ibaka did.

tredigs
09-15-2014, 01:09 AM
It will be a teenagers tournament by 2020. US elite are done with international competition for the most part I think, and FIBA may follow suit.

dhopisthename
09-15-2014, 01:18 AM
unless wiggins is lebronesqe that team wouldn't be very good.

IKnowHoops
09-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Wiggins will have to turn into the next Kobe, and Bennet will have to turn into the next Charles Barkley. Tristan needs to be a 16/10 guy on the Cavs. If all three come to fruition, I could give them that title of best competition US has faced.

PurpleJesus
09-15-2014, 02:07 AM
that team actually is pretty talented, but I voted no, because its just Canada.

PowerHouse
09-15-2014, 02:10 AM
The only player there that could be star-status is Wiggins. USA eats up rosters like that for lunch.

Sadds The Gr8
09-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Yup

jakedajewler
09-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Yes I believe they will be

force_within
09-15-2014, 08:46 AM
everyone here is hoping..that would be great for internation basketball..

deaner
09-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Don't forget Thon Maker becoming Canadian. If so that could be a tipping point to team canada becoming very good in the near future.

JustinTime
09-15-2014, 09:16 AM

What do you think?

Thon Maker and his bro may become Canadian from what i'm hearing so that's another potential # 1 pick to play along side Wiggins and Bennett who already have been picked #1. Canada is a lot deeper than the guys you are mentioning too. They have Trey Lyles coming up who should be top 5 pick. At SG they will be much deeper than just Stauskas they have guys like Rathan Mayes, Olivier Hanlan, Jamal Murray etc. If Maker joins I could see the US losing to Canada because Canada would has so many unique match-ups for the US that I doubt they could counter.

ManningToTyree
09-15-2014, 09:19 AM
No country is a legit opponent for the USA but Canada looks decent on paper.

JustinTime
09-15-2014, 09:20 AM

i agree though that canada will be really good. I also think France, Australia (Exum, and a projected #1 pick in 2016 PF Ben Simmons), and Greece (the Antentokounmpos, 4 of them at some point). International competition should be getting interesting. Hopefully Senegal has another stud big on their hands in Diop, and maybe Embiid can play for a European team that nationalizes him, like Ibaka did.

i've watched Ben Simmons I don't know why that guy is projected as a #1 pick. There is nothing special about him that I can see he has weak handles and his shooting isn't that good. It must be a weak draft because I doubt he'd be top 5 in this years.

IndyRealist
09-15-2014, 09:36 AM
It's quite early to call. Several of those guys could bust spectacularly, even Wiggins. Remember, Michael Beasley was a sure thing.

JasonJohnHorn
09-15-2014, 10:12 AM
They have the potentially to be the second best team in international play behind the US, especially of Kelly and Bennett develop.

If Wiggins turns out to be a bust, though, they won't have much going for them.

todu82
09-15-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm Canadian but I doubt our basketball team will come close to being the U.S.' best opponent.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-15-2014, 10:08 PM
They could get a medal in 2018 FIBA and the 2020 Olympics but I don't think they'll get gold.

LAKobeBryant
09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
How do you know Tyler, nik, and Andrew and not Anthony Bennetts....

murphturph
09-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Team could compete for a playoff spot in 3 years

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 04:26 AM
I can see it. Especially if they get Thon Maker.
A front court of Wiggins/Thompson/Maker/Kelly in 4 or 5 years might be able to challenge anything the US and A has to offer. They will still be thin at the guard position. But with the right coaching they should be solid. If Bennet develops I could see it becoming a rivalry greater than the current US/Spain contest.

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Exum has more potential to be a bust than any other top pick besides Aaron Gordon. Roddy Beuabois 2.0.

IMO Giannis will be the only star of the four and maybe reach Faried type stardom.

I can see France making some noise in the future. Especially if Gobert develops a BBall iq and some post moves.

The only thing that Stern ever did right was expanding the game beyond borders... That effort is definitely showing results.

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Thon Maker could very well change the game both in the NBA and globally. He has the skill, size, dedication and hunger to be a legend.