PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay upset over dirty play which gave him fractured jaw vs Lithuania

spreadeagle
09-13-2014, 01:46 PM
For all those wondering why they had that skirmish during the handshakes..

Team USA cruised to a 96-68 win over Lithuania to reach the gold medal game in the FIBA World Cup, but things got plenty heated along the way.

DeMarcus Cousins almost lost his mind after catching an elbow to the throat from Jonas Valanciunas, and Rudy Gay was sent to the locker room in the third quarter after being on the receiving end of one himself.

It was plays like those which caused the two teams to get into it a bit once the final buzzer had sounded, and Gay in particular is still holding a grudge after what he called a “dirty play” that resulted in a late night trip to the dentist.

From Sam Amick of USA Today:

“I’ve got a fracture in my jaw, a broken tooth and am going to probably need a root canal,” Gay told USA TODAY Sports. “The top is where I got hit. It’s painful. It’s uncomfortable, and it still bleeds, so I’ve got to continuously gargle. It is what it is, man.” …

“I think (the elbow) had a little bit to do with (the situation afterward),” Gay said. “It was a dirty play, man. It was a dirty play.” …

Long after the skirmish died down, Gay had to get his mouth worked on until 2 a.m. early Friday morning in Barcelona before flying to Madrid hours later.

Gay is fine in terms of his availability for Sunday’s contest, and a certain level of physicality is to be expected at times. But if things should get unusually chippy against Serbia on Sunday, the way that Team USA handles it will be interesting to watch.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/13/rudy-gay-upset-over-dirty-play-that-caused-him-to-suffer-a-fractured-jaw-in-team-usas-win-over-lithuania/

jaydubb
09-13-2014, 01:48 PM
I'd be upset too..

True Sports Fan
09-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Kings just getting beat up in that game I guess.

kobe4thewinbang
09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
OUCH.

I'd be pissed too. No need for that crap. Never broken any bones myself, but dental work is nearly unbearable.

Leftcoast_yg
09-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Where are they airing these Fiba games?

Bigbadmoffo
09-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Basketball needs some roughness!! The sport I love has become so soft

1-800-STFU
09-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Basketball needs some roughness!! The sport I love has become so soft

Yeah this is what the sport needs! More broken jaws!!

rocketfuel
09-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Are the superstars going to come out for the Olympics? They might look at this and what happened to George and feel skittish.

Shady66
09-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Yeah this is what the sport needs! More broken jaws!!
Good thing you don't watch hockey

IKnowHoops
09-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Good thing you don't watch hockey

Good thing you don't watch cannibalism.