PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider Diaw to HOF if he leads France to WC title?

force_within
09-11-2014, 08:13 AM
He's got NBA title, Eurobasket title..what do you think?

sixers247
09-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Hell to the no

Chrisclover
09-11-2014, 08:18 AM
you are either a Diaw fan or trolling. He is not even an all-star, let alone being inducted into the HOF.

c.c.
09-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Awwwww man I died laughing when I read this! James Harden will win DPOY and Dwight Howard will lead the league in FT percentages in the same season before that happen.

Captain Moroni
09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Mrs Diaw how are you?

SPURSFAN1
09-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Needs at least 3 more rings.

Chrisclover
09-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Awwwww man I died laughing when I read this! James Harden will win DPOY and Dwight Howard will lead the league in FT percentages in the same season before that happen.
Maybe that will happen in another timeline!
BTW, i am also CC.

c.c.
09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Maybe that will happen in another timeline!
BTW, i am also CC.

But I'm the real CC! I was here first

DitchDat
09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
He's an awesome role player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Iron24th
09-11-2014, 10:39 AM
LOL what a troll

force_within
09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
what if he won two more titles?

todu82
09-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Diaw's a good player and all but his chances of getting to the Hall of Fame are extremely small.

akesh99
09-11-2014, 11:21 AM
He'd be a very decorated role player, not a HOFer.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Hajahahahaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! That is all...

IndyRealist
09-11-2014, 11:42 AM
If France wins, it will be said that they only won because all of the best US players sat out. Not really fair, but that will make this one "not count"

Chronz
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Hes probably playing for that right now, its an attainable goal. Beating the US would be worth remembering to the HOF comittee

Chronz
09-11-2014, 11:51 AM
If France wins, it will be said that they only won because all of the best US players sat out. Not really fair, but that will make this one "not count"

Isn't that how the US has always lost?

kdspurman
09-11-2014, 11:57 AM

France isn't full either though, but in the end you're probably right. France still needs to even get to that point, it's obviously not a lock they'll even face the US.

Six-8-TheWizard
09-11-2014, 02:09 PM
If he also ends up with like 4 of 5 rings (and was a key piece of all of them) then maybe, but otherwise no

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 05:20 PM
He's got NBA title, Eurobasket title..what do you think?

"Are you serious with this question?" - Greg Popovich

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Hes probably playing for that right now, its an attainable goal. Beating the US would be worth remembering to the HOF comittee

Are you saying the HOF is an attainable goal for Boris?

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 05:32 PM
He's gonna make HOF yes. It's not an NBA hall of fame and these things sometimes matter more than the NBA career of a player (sure obviously he has to be a good player in the league through his career)

But France isn't winning...

abe_froman
09-11-2014, 05:55 PM
whats with all these threads advocating all these above average role players being in hof, lately?

but no,he wont/isnt a hof player no matter what happens

Chronz
09-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Are you saying the HOF is an attainable goal for Boris?

As attainable as France beating the US.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 06:06 PM
whats with all these threads advocating all these above average role players being in hof, lately?

but no,he wont/isnt a hof player no matter what happens
Id be willing to bet you were wrong in this, particularly if he plays as well as he did in the upset vs Spain.

abe_froman
09-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Id be willing to bet you were wrong in this, particularly if he plays as well as he did in the upset vs Spain.
dont be a prisoner of the moment ,especially when the fiba toury is the only thing going on.yes he has been on some mental winners,but only one gold medal winner(so far).if you look at other hof players that are the baseline for a mix international/nba ,like him,he def falls short

torocan
09-11-2014, 06:21 PM
No, no and No.

However, if he was a key part of winning the World Cup AND a key part of winning a gold medal in the next Olympics AND won another NBA title as 4th/5th banana on the Spurs, he would have a shot between the combination of Eurobasket, WC, NBAx2 titles and a Gold Medal.

You need a significantly beefier resume to get into the HOF than what he has right now.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 07:56 PM
He could always go to a strong European team and help them win the Euroleague and all domestic titles. That should give him a bonus. And put him in a whole category of his own, maybe behind Manu though (Manu won NBA, Euroleague and Olympic Gold; Diaw would have won NBA,Euroleague, World gold and European gold)

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
As attainable as France beating the US.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree here with ya. France has a very small chance to beat the US. I think Boris has no chance what so ever. I'm not going to look, but I'm pretty confident he has never come close to making an all star team. And I would think that there are no hall of fame players, that never made an all-star team.

So I'd say Boris making the HOF is as attainable as him making an all-star team.

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 02:42 AM
I would think Horry and his 7 rings would put him way above Boris, especially since his impact (Big Shots) was so large in many of those rings.

But I would not put Horry in the Hall of fame either. Hall of fame is made off individual achievements. Winning is a team accomplishment. Statistics measure your individual worth and neither Boris or Horry stack up in that department in my opinion.

Chronz
09-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Well, I'm gonna have to disagree here with ya. France has a very small chance to beat the US. I think Boris has no chance what so ever. I'm not going to look, but I'm pretty confident he has never come close to making an all star team. And I would think that there are no hall of fame players, that never made an all-star team.

So I'd say Boris making the HOF is as attainable as him making an all-star team.

You would be wrong. You really should look before you leap, go ahead, check out the HOF list. You will find that its not an NBA thing. I think Scola might make it too but Im less certain about he and Boris than a guy like Manu (Obviously).

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 06:54 AM
You would be wrong. You really should look before you leap, go ahead, check out the HOF list. You will find that its not an NBA thing. I think Scola might make it too but Im less certain about he and Boris than a guy like Manu (Obviously).

I don't mind being wrong on this, thats why I prefaced it with Im not gonna look aka, Im not sure. Scola too huh? I could see Manu, but I thought Manu has made the all star team before.

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 07:13 AM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrSbDhr1BJUoA8AnA1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEza 3FsamVuBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1FCQUN LMV8x?qid=20070222071039AAPcUkH

I can't seem to find a "player" who didn't make an all-star team that is in the Hall of fame. Unless the All-star game wasn't being played at that time. There are coaches, but I was talking about players. Am I right after all?

Chrisclover
09-12-2014, 07:53 AM
But I'm the real CC! I was here first

Maybe we can form a dynamic duo like Curry and Thompson. :wink:

SPURSFAN1
09-12-2014, 08:14 AM
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrSbDhr1BJUoA8AnA1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEza 3FsamVuBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1FCQUN LMV8x?qid=20070222071039AAPcUkH

I can't seem to find a "player" who didn't make an all-star team that is in the Hall of fame. Unless the All-star game wasn't being played at that time. There are coaches, but I was talking about players. Am I right after all?

So 100% he can't make it without an allstar appearance? :clap:

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Nick Galis
Drazen Petrovic
Dino Meneghin
Sarunas Marciulionis
Drazen Dalipagic
Sergei Belov
Oscar Schmidt
Arvydas Sabonis
Kresimir Cosic
maybe a few others

Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Frangiskos Alvertis, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navaro, Dimitris Diamantidis, Dirk Nowitzki, Thodoros Papaloukas and 1-2 others are also a given for the Hall of Fame. Lots of them never played in the NBA.

For players who only perform in the NBA or don't perform well in the international stage, the all-star game probably is a factor. It's not an actual factor for induction though.
And it started in 1951 so it's basically been around as long as the NBA has been around.

sep11ie
09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Psd is a joke

Chronz
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Psd is a joke

In what way?

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Nick Galis
Drazen Petrovic
Dino Meneghin
Sarunas Marciulionis
Drazen Dalipagic
Sergei Belov
Oscar Schmidt
Arvydas Sabonis
Kresimir Cosic
maybe a few others

Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Frangiskos Alvertis, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navaro, Dimitris Diamantidis, Dirk Nowitzki, Thodoros Papaloukas and 1-2 others are also a given for the Hall of Fame. Lots of them never played in the NBA.

For players who only perform in the NBA or don't perform well in the international stage, the all-star game probably is a factor. It's not an actual factor for induction though.
And it started in 1951 so it's basically been around as long as the NBA has been around.

OK, good find. Man, how do you not play in the NBA, but are inducted into the NBA hall of fame. NBA hall of fame is...don't even know what to say.

Chronz
09-12-2014, 01:51 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/hof.html

You wont find anything using resources like ask yahoo. The names NYK provided are good enough tho.

Chronz
09-12-2014, 01:53 PM
OK, good find. Man, how do you not play in the NBA, but are inducted into the NBA hall of fame. NBA hall of fame is...don't even know what to say.

Again, its not the NBA HOF. Its the BASKETBALL HOF.

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Now it all makes sense.

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 04:38 PM

So anyone who is one of the best in his own country has a shot.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 04:53 PM

No

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 05:40 PM
No

Then How does Boris have a chance. Or how did all these guys from other countries get in who never played in the NBA? How did Petrovic get in? He was one of the best in his country and he never made an all-star team.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Then How does Boris have a chance. Or how did all these guys from other countries get in who never played in the NBA? How did Petrovic get in? He was one of the best in his country and he never made an all-star team.

You don't make any sense.

Is Boris the best in his country? Does he even play in his country? Basketball was around before the NBA you know. Some of the leagues that are still around in various countries (Uruguay; oldest iirc, Argentina, Greece, Portugal etc) are decades older than the NBA. And there's international tournaments all the time. And continental tournaments. And club competitions.

The NBA allows you to compete for 1 championship, the others give you the chance to compete for many. The Hall of Fame does not revolve around the NBA.

Petrovic was a legend before he entered the NBA and was a legend after he left it too (because he left it before his death and was about to start playing in Greece for Panathinaikos with Nick Galis and Stojan Vrankovic). The NBA is not the only criterion one has to enter the Hall of Fame. NBA performance is the only the major factor when the player has played his entire career in the NBA and is American.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_Memorial_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame#Criteria _for_induction

I can tell you for sure that he ain't getting in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Hall_of_Fame (and I don't se why the NBA doesn't have a Hall of Fame of its own)

Vinylman
09-12-2014, 09:55 PM

that would be why they won... but they won't so the point is moot

international titles are pretty much meaningless anymore because the best players don't play... and when they do like in the last olympics it is BORING

IKnowHoops
09-12-2014, 10:05 PM
You don't make any sense.

Is Boris the best in his country? Does he even play in his country? Basketball was around before the NBA you know. Some of the leagues that are still around in various countries (Uruguay; oldest iirc, Argentina, Greece, Portugal etc) are decades older than the NBA. And there's international tournaments all the time. And continental tournaments. And club competitions.

The NBA allows you to compete for 1 championship, the others give you the chance to compete for many. The Hall of Fame does not revolve around the NBA.

Petrovic was a legend before he entered the NBA and was a legend after he left it too (because he left it before his death and was about to start playing in Greece for Panathinaikos with Nick Galis and Stojan Vrankovic). The NBA is not the only criterion one has to enter the Hall of Fame. NBA performance is the only the major factor when the player has played his entire career in the NBA and is American.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_Memorial_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame#Criteria _for_induction

I can tell you for sure that he ain't getting in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Hall_of_Fame (and I don't se why the NBA doesn't have a Hall of Fame of its own)

OK one point at a time since your having trouble with comprehension today.

This is for the bolded part.

The bold part is the dark shaded area

You with me so far?

OK here is the question for the bold part.

Did I say best player or did I say one of the best?

NYKalltheway
09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Yes but what you don't seem to grasp is the fact that Boris Diaw played 2 seasons in French top divisions and half a season in the 2nd tier (compare this to the D-League) during the lock out year. Diaw's career is what you see in the NBA and the national team. He does not play in France or in Europe. Got it now?

jakub
09-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Is this serious?

torocan
09-13-2014, 05:45 PM

It's not so much about being the "best in your country", it's more about individuals or groups of individuals who make significant contributions or impact upon the Sport of Basketball.

So, there are women coaches and players in the Hall of Fame, there are European players in the Hall of Fame, there are those who enter the Hall of Fame based upon singular accomplishments as a player, and others who enter the Hall of Fame because of a lifetime of work (as player, coach and GM roles). There are also others who enter the Hall of Fame for other contributions to the sport (like David Stern was recently inducted). And it isn't only individuals but entire teams can be granted membership in the Hall of Fame.

For example, the entire 1992 USA Olympic team was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a TEAM for their impact upon the sport of basketball. The Globetrotters organization was also enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Here's the Naismith link with all the members of the Hall of Fame...

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers-index/

Boris Diaw would need significantly more contributions as a player, or contributions that are significant that extend beyond his playing career to become a serious HoF candidate.