PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox may shut down Dustin Pedroia for the season

Nomar
09-09-2014, 05:24 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/red-sox-may-shut-down-dustin-pedroia-for-the-season/

Might help him hit better next year, go for it.

bagwell368
09-09-2014, 10:06 PM
So Betts going to fish out his INF glove and let the new guy play CF when he gets up here?

j-bay
09-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Keep on tanking.

Bo Sox Fan
09-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Pedroia hasn't been healthy for 2 full seasons now, and both years it's been a hand, and if not a hand a finger, and if not a finger a wrist.

I don't think we should throw Betts at 2nd base just for the sake of filling the postion, I think we should be taking a serious look at this kid playing 2nd for the sake of the future of this organization.

Of course Pedroia is GOD to everyone though and this will be completely out of the question.

-Lavigne43-
09-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Sounds like he was playing hurt basically the entire season. Still had a valuable season because of his tremendous defense. I wonder if there's any connection with his hand injury last year or if it's separate. I don't know what the recovery time for the injury would have been, but everyone would have been better off if he just went on the DL when it happened.

bagwell368
09-10-2014, 06:38 AM
I don't think we should throw Betts at 2nd base just for the sake of filling the postion, I think we should be taking a serious look at this kid playing 2nd for the sake of the future of this organization.

Everything I've read says he's a 2B and everything else isn't a great fit (CF - he's like a fast elephant with a tutu out there). How would that be throwing him at it? If he's a natural he should fine except getting used to SS for DP's and around the bag.

Of course Pedroia is GOD to everyone though and this will be completely out of the question.

We need BB here as GM for a bit. I didn't like that deal due to his health and the length - other than that it seemed OK. Give that agent a cigar.

RaginRondo17
09-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Saw on WEEI this morning that a decision regarding the surgery was expected today.

RedSoxtober
09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
So Betts going to fish out his INF glove and let the new guy play CF when he gets up here?
I'm sure they'll use one of the MIFs they obtained/called up like Weeks and let him keep his OJT going in the OF.

Sounds like he was playing hurt basically the entire season. Still had a valuable season because of his tremendous defense. I wonder if there's any connection with his hand injury last year or if it's separate. I don't know what the recovery time for the injury would have been, but everyone would have been better off if he just went on the DL when it happened.

Farrell was dodgy on the subject when asked. I'm not sure if they know or if they are trying to avoid culpability.

RedSoxtober
09-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Red Sox manager John Farrell said while there were no firm plans to do so yet, surgery to address the ongoing inflammation he’s experienced throughout this season represents a likely outcome. For now, Farrell suggested, the surgery has yet to be scheduled, but that appears the likely conclusion of this process after Tuesday’s MRI revealed the worsening inflammation.

“Nothing definitive. He and we are still gathering information. It’s moving towards probably a procedure, but nothing definitive is scheduled right now,” said Farrell.

Of course, the idea of fixing what currently ails Pedroia is one thing. Going forward, the Sox face the question of whether there’s any way to diminish the frequency of injuries that have become an annual staple for Pedroia as a result of his perpetually dirt-covered style of play.

“We’ve asked him not to slide head-first anymore, which he’s doing. You go back to Opening Day in 2013 [when Pedroia tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb on a head-first slide], that’s where a lot of this originated,” said Farrell. “He’s aggravated the left hand again by being taken out at second base on double plays, earlier in the year and then mid-year. So, we’re really not going to ask him to change — with the exception of deciding to slide head-first. Dustin plays the game as he’s wired. That’s what makes him the great player that he is.weei.com

todu82
09-10-2014, 04:08 PM
With the season being a wash now I think it's best to shut Pedroia down for the season.

Soxfan85
09-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Dustin Pedroia will undergo season-ending surgery Thursday on his injured left hand.
Pedroia has been dealing with pain in the wrist for nearly the entire 2014 campaign and it has resulted in a career-worst .278/.337/.376 batting line. The star second baseman should be ready for the start of spring training in 2015 and will be a strong bounceback candidate in his age 31

Tim Britton