PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry on Deng: "He's got some African in him... I don't say that in a bad way."

JasonJohnHorn
09-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I know some of us might be tired to the 'race' conversations, but what are your thoughts on this.

Obviously none of us were in the room, so we don't know the context, but how does a comment like this stick with you?

Deng was born in Sudan, and then lived in Egypt for a time before moving to England, so Deng is from Africa. I know if a person of colour said another person of colour still had some African in them, it may be taken as a compliment, but obviously in a different context coming from a person from a 'privileged' group this can be construed as an insult as well.

If we were to say that Nash still has some Canadian in him, or Dirk still had some German in him, that would just be a reference to them holding onto their culture. I think it is sad that saying the same thing of a person from Africa has to be read as an insult, but sadly in many cases it is.

Ferry said that it wasn't meant in a 'bad' way. Does this excuse it? This comment seems very different than the one made by the owner, which seemed more like a statistical analysis of the fan base meant to gather their interests and increase profits by constructing an at-game atmosphere that was welcoming to the fans that generated the most profit. That is problematic obviously, but it's more a numbers game than a 'race' game, though it is systematically biased. Ferry's comments are a different kind of problem entirely.

What are your thoughts?

goingfor28
09-09-2014, 10:09 AM
No big deal. Depending on the context. But it doesn't exactly sound great lol

kdspurman
09-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Dont know if it's culture or basketball related. Who knows. I wouldn't doubt some management guys saying the same thing about European players and their style of play. (maybe their style of play doesn't fit how the team wants to play) We just don't know the context. It doesn't sound great, but context here is important before jumping to conclusions.

akesh99
09-09-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't see how Deng being African has any relevance to basketball in the same regard as Steve Nash being being Canadian or Dirk being German as OP mentioned.

Jamiecballer
09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
saying that he would have a nice store out front but be doing shady illegal dealings in the back is certainly not a nice thing to say and it's hard to tell whether he meant that based on race or just his feelings on Deng as a person. either way, the comments are extremely damaging to the organization

akesh99
09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
The full quote where he says what Jamiecballer just brought up should be added to OP

prodigy
09-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I think Africa should be insulted. Because Deng is a crappy person.

Heatcheck
09-09-2014, 11:37 AM
based on what? not wanting to play for a dysfunctional organization? who, by the way, would still be stuck in the mud had LeBron james not been born there. perfect example is rehiring Ferry

I think the comments are out of place as a professional, but he aint wrong about the African thing in general, and its technically not racial because African isn't a race. so **** it, I just feel bad for Cleveland fans for having this clown as a gm, God he's terrible at his job, and why is gilbert so intent on repeating his mistakes over and over, first mike brown now this loser. or is it the culmination of his intricate plan to get back at LeBron for leaving?

"ill lure him back, and once he's here, and cant leave again without his valuable public image going completely to shite, ill waste the rest of his career, MUAHAHAHA!!!"

jaydubb
09-09-2014, 11:38 AM
He does have some African in him :shrug:

flea
09-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Sad they're trying to take Danny Ferry's job over something as dumb as this. What was said about Deng wasn't nice but (a) it sounds like Ferry was quoting someone else and (b) it's a sentiment I've heard expressed about immigrants from anywhere by people of all races and colors. If you've never heard black people talking this way about African immigrants then you probably haven't been around black people much.

But this is Silver's legacy: the racial police. Does anyone think it would be equally problematic if Ferry were black and had said this?

Heatcheck
09-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Sad they're trying to take Danny Ferry's job over something as dumb as this. What was said about Deng wasn't nice but (a) it sounds like Ferry was quoting someone else and (b) it's a sentiment I've heard expressed about immigrants from anywhere by people of all races and colors. If you've never heard black people talking this way about African immigrants then you probably haven't been around black people much.

But this is Silver's legacy: the racial police. Does anyone think it would be equally problematic if Ferry were black and had said this?

the only one trying to take his job from him was his boss

lamzoka
09-09-2014, 11:58 AM
OP should've put the whole quote up.

He is a good guy overall. But he is not perfect. He got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way

So according to Ferry, Deng "is not perfect" because got some African in him.

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
based on what? not wanting to play for a dysfunctional organization? who, by the way, would still be stuck in the mud had LeBron james not been born there. perfect example is rehiring Ferry

I think the comments are out of place as a professional, but he aint wrong about the African thing in general, and its technically not racial because African isn't a race. so **** it, I just feel bad for Cleveland fans for having this clown as a gm, God he's terrible at his job, and why is gilbert so intent on repeating his mistakes over and over, first mike brown now this loser. or is it the culmination of his intricate plan to get back at LeBron for leaving?

"ill lure him back, and once he's here, and cant leave again without his valuable public image going completely to shite, ill waste the rest of his career, MUAHAHAHA!!!"

Whether he's wrong or not he shouldn't have said it.

He's still with the Hawks. He hasn't been rehired by the Cavs.

And here comes the defense lol.

flea
09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
It was a rude thing to say but it was not racist so much as anti-immigrant. That was the point - and I also don't think it's a fireable offense.

IndyRealist
09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
The more i read about Atlanta, the more this seems like a witch hunt, or even a coup.

What public figures (and you are a public figure if you have press conferences) need to realize is that if something you say -could- be taken negatively, it -will- be.

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
It was a rude thing to say but it was not racist so much as anti-immigrant. That was the point - and I also don't think it's a fireable offense.

Well the minority owner felt it is a fireable offense. He felt it was strong enough to contact Levenson about it.

krazylegz
09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
wait,i thought he did have some african in him...whats wrong here

soundjunkies2
09-09-2014, 01:40 PM
wait,i thought he did have some african in him...whats wrong here

What does it have to do with basketball? It's irrelevant.

flea
09-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Well the minority owner felt it is a fireable offense. He felt it was strong enough to contact Levenson about it.

Yeah because he wants Ferry out for other reasons. Using racism to oust someone has proven very simple in the NBA after the Donald Sterling debacle. Was Sterling a terrible human? Yes. But he was still railroaded over something he said in the privacy of his own home. Silver opened this can of worms and now he's going to have to deal with it.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Its the "I don't say that in a bad way" part that gets me. He didn't say "I mean that in a good way" either.

So what exactly was he trying to say? Sounds really ignorant in this context regardless of what he meant, and that applies to any and all races. Even if a white guy said to another white guy "you've got some white in you... I don't mean that in a bad way" I'd still find it confusingly ignorant.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Danny should not have let those words come out of his mouth. He should have known better. With that said were these Danny's own words or was he reading a scouts words in a scouting report out loud to a group? If it was the later I feel it is only fair to mention that as well.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Basically sounds like some stereotype Ferry has about Africans. Ignorant.

Probably shouldn't be fired, but surely fined for his stupidity. If he was reading someone else's words, then this is a non issue.

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah because he wants Ferry out for other reasons. Using racism to oust someone has proven very simple in the NBA after the Donald Sterling debacle. Was Sterling a terrible human? Yes. But he was still railroaded over something he said in the privacy of his own home. Silver opened this can of worms and now he's going to have to deal with it.

But he allowed himself to be taped. One has to weigh the positive and negatives when agreeing to do something like that.

Silver will deal with it accordingly. There is no controversy if these things aren't said.

thomass
09-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Danny should not have let those words come out of his mouth. He should have known better. With that said were these Danny's own words or was he reading a scouts words in a scouting report out loud to a group? If it was the later I feel it is only fair to mention that as well.

Ferry was reading something prepared by a "third party." I believe it was an informal background check.

ewing
09-09-2014, 04:41 PM
there is no defending Danny Ferry. I still cant believe this guy went #2. He makes lattner look a like a good choice at that spot

lamzoka
09-09-2014, 04:47 PM
What Deng being African have to do with anything? Do Africans have a bad rep in the NBA?

I never seen an African NBA player with character issues

If these words are from a scout, he should be fired. And Ferry should be fined for repeating it. He should know better.

The only thing wrong with Deng is he plays for the Heat :) Other than that, the guy is a class act.

Bruno
09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
i think the entire world has become too sensitive. this isn't the sterling situation.

Confusious
09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't see how Deng being African has any relevance to basketball in the same regard as Steve Nash being being Canadian or Dirk being German as OP mentioned.
Africa is a place. Canada is a place. Germany is a place.

People just think everything is racist when a colour place is involved. Everything race related (with colour) is always sensitive. Funny how no one seems to give a **** when white people are involved.

IndyRealist
09-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Seems like a power struggle more and more...

Trueblue2
09-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Ya I have a few friends that came here from Somalia to escape the war, if I said they had a little African in them they'd say "no ****", and would probably be confused because I was stating the obvious and not offended because I pointed out that their skin is a different color.

Confusious
09-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Ya I have a few friends that came here from Somalia to escape the war, if I said they had a little African in them they'd say "no ****", and would probably be confused because I was stating the obvious and not offended because I pointed out that their skin is a different color.
Yes, but people are idiotic and think stating the obvious is the same thing as being racist.

lamzoka
09-09-2014, 05:49 PM

People just think everything is racist when a colour place is involved. Everything race related (with colour) is always sensitive. Funny how no one seems to give a **** when white people are involved.

My issue here is "but he's not perfect "

why is he not perfect? is it because he got african in him?

joeyc77
09-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Sounds like Ferry fell for the old Ron Burgundy reading off the TelePrompTer trick.

Seriously, don't understand the comments or how they relate to basketball. Not even sure what the metaphor means in terms of basketball.

At this point, if you are an executive or public figure and want to discuss black people at all, you might as well just use the n word and other slurs. At least that way we know you deserve it and it's not like you can get fired twice.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
"Got some African in him.....not in a bad way."

Oh well as long as you don't mean it in a bad way then by all means.....

IKnowHoops
09-09-2014, 06:22 PM
saying that he would have a nice store out front but be doing shady illegal dealings in the back is certainly not a nice thing to say and it's hard to tell whether he meant that based on race or just his feelings on Deng as a person. either way, the comments are extremely damaging to the organization

LOL, this is where Ferry starts to look suspect. I want to give ferry the benefit of the doubt but...

lamzoka
09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds like Ferry fell for the old Ron Burgundy reading off the TelePrompTer trick.

Seriously, don't understand the comments or how they relate to basketball. Not even sure what the metaphor means in terms of basketball.

At this point, if you are an executive or public figure and want to discuss black people at all, you might as well just use the n word and other slurs. At least that way we know you deserve it and it's not like you can get fired twice.

"He is the type of guy who would have a nice store and sell counterfeit in the back." -Ferry-

IKnowHoops
09-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Yes, but people are idiotic and think stating the obvious is the same thing as being racist.

Interested on how you defend Ferry's comments about how Deng is the kinda guy who would own a nice store and then deal counterfeit out the back?

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Someone that is stupid enough to say that over a conference call should get a pink slip. That's like some Dave Chappell when keeping it real goes wrong type ish....

prodigy
09-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Lol that's very true.

torocan
09-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Here is the actual e-mail regarding Ferry from one of the co-owners of the Hawks to Levenson...

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/08/Gearon_letter.pdf

With respect to one potential free agent, a highly-regarded African-American player and humanitarian, Ferry talked about the player's good points, and then went on to describe his negatives, stating that he "has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back." Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly, all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat.

We were appalled that anyone would make such a racist slur under any circumstance, much less the GM of an NBA franchise on a major conference call. One of us can be heard on the tape reacting with astonishment. Our franchise has a long history of racial diversity and inclusion that reflects the makeup of our great city. Ferry's comments were so far out of bounds that we are concerned that he has put the entire franchise in jeopardy.

This wasn't nearly as innocent as some posters in this thread have implied.

A store out front and selling counterfeit stuff out the back? Really?

Even if he was just quoting the comments of a 3rd party, wow. Just, Wow...

ackar
09-09-2014, 06:45 PM
A letter from co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. recommends that Ferry resign or be fired. Gearon cites Ferry telling the ownership group that Deng "has a little African in him."

His June 12 letter to co-owner Bruce Levenson said Ferry went on to say, "Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back."

Added Gearon: "Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11493233/atlanta-hawks-discipline-general-manager-danny-ferry-racist-comments

joeyc77
09-09-2014, 06:47 PM
"He is the type of guy who would have a nice store and sell counterfeit in the back." -Ferry-

Yeah but what does that even mean?

Forgot the metaphor, is it intended as a slight against Deng's character?

beasted86
09-09-2014, 06:56 PM
A letter from co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. recommends that Ferry resign or be fired. Gearon cites Ferry telling the ownership group that Deng "has a little African in him."

His June 12 letter to co-owner Bruce Levenson said Ferry went on to say, "Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back."

Added Gearon: "Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11493233/atlanta-hawks-discipline-general-manager-danny-ferry-racist-comments
Now that we are getting a deeper look at the context, he definitely deserves to lose his job over these bigoted stereotypes. As a manager you need to be held to the highest standard and set the example for all employees.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah but what does that even mean?

Forgot the metaphor, is it intended as a slight against Deng's character?

I'm guessing a lot of racism goes over your head.

smith&wesson
09-09-2014, 07:05 PM
when Toronto had Bargnani, Calderon, hedo, rasho, etc I always use to say our team needs some more "black players" with in that context, I dont think its a racist statement at all.

but I have no idea of what context ferry made his statement under so I cant comment. If someone said "boy that deng is really athletic" and ferry responded "well he does have some african in him" i dont think its racist.

but if it was said in a different context I can see how it could be racist as well. I cant defend or accuse him because i simply dont know what the hell he was trying to say.

joeyc77
09-09-2014, 07:19 PM

It has nothing to do with racism. I don't get how the metaphor translates to basketball.

flea
09-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Yes it was very anti-immigrant. You come across the same sorts of stereotypes when people talk about Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican or any other sort of immigrant in this country (eg, they're cheap, they're swindlers, they're lazy, etc.). It's rude and stereotypical, but it's not racist. If every anti-immigrant sentiment gets you thrown out of your job we're going to have Greece-level unemployment rates in this country.

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 07:23 PM
i think the entire world has become too sensitive. this isn't the sterling situation.

In some aspects we have become overly sensitive. I don't think this situation is one of the aspects though. This isn't Deng is a solid player but overrated or he's talented but takes plays off. If he said that and it made front page news I would understand.

It goes over a lot of members heads on here. Go into the Hawks owner thread or the Mike Brown thread in the General Discussions forum. It will make your head spin.

"Got some African in him.....not in a bad way."

Oh well as long as you don't mean it in a bad way then by all means.....

"No offense but...." and here comes the offense lol. BTW these statements by the owner and GM aren't the worst in the world. I'm sure crazier things have been said in private but it's funny to see so many people shrug it off not just on here but on other sites as well. But hey many people were ok with Sterling's comments.

UnWantedTheory
09-09-2014, 07:31 PM
The more i read about Atlanta, the more this seems like a witch hunt, or even a coup.

What public figures (and you are a public figure if you have press conferences) need to realize is that if something you say -could- be taken negatively, it -will- be.

They are all witch hunts. Some deserved, some not. But almost all are blown out of proportion. This is just another ridiculous non-story that will be talked about for a few weeks costing someone a job or one's reputation to be tarnished. I have said it many times that by giving these situations this much attention it helps negate any positive momentum we gain. The media gets paid to rile us up. That is all. They are to be ignored like irritating salesman.

UnWantedTheory
09-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I agree with Bruno. The entire world has become too sensitive. But mostly it's because people love to ***** more than anything. But go on people who fight the good fight. You have a void to fill for some reason, so keep on keeping on.

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 07:38 PM
I agree with Bruno. The entire world has become too sensitive. But mostly it's because people love to ***** more than anything. But go on people who fight the good fight. You have a void to fill for some reason, so keep on keeping on.

But there would be no reason to fight if things like this didn't happen. Sure there are cases that are over blown. If a guy walks up to a white woman and gets rejected it doesn't make her racist. Every situation has to be looked at accordingly. I think what bothers people is when situation like this happen frequently because it doesn't give the public breathing room. It feels like non stop coverage because the situations are discussed for so long and then bleed into each other.

thomass
09-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Those aren't his words.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Those aren't his words.

It's a recount of his words by someone else.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
In some aspects we have become overly sensitive. I don't think this situation is one of the aspects though. This isn't Deng is a solid player but overrated or he's talented but takes plays off. If he said that and it made front page news I would understand.

It goes over a lot of members heads on here. Go into the Hawks owner thread or the Mike Brown thread in the General Discussions forum. It will make your head spin.

"No offense but...." and here comes the offense lol. BTW these statements by the owner and GM aren't the worst in the world. I'm sure crazier things have been said in private but it's funny to see so many people shrug it off not just on here but on other sites as well. But hey many people were ok with Sterling's comments.

People are pretty much ok with any comments now days.

Like you said the comments weren't exactly the most horrible to me but the extent people go to justify them and explain them away is ridiculous.

If that's how they talk about a player like Deng on a conference call can you imagine what's being said about the screw ups or "thugs" behind closed doors? It's probably like a Comedy Central roast....

BigCityofDreams
09-09-2014, 08:47 PM
People are pretty much ok with any comments now days.

Like you said the comments weren't exactly the most horrible to me but the extent people go to justify them and explain them away is ridiculous.

If that's how they talk about a player like Deng on a conference call can you imagine what's being said about the screw ups or "thugs" behind closed doors? It's probably like a Comedy Central roast....

Exactly these comments are pretty tame to how they probably talk about players like JR Smith, Ron Artest, etc. Deng is a one of the nicest guys in the league based on what we have seen.

Are the sources or Ferry implying that it's an act?

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Then you look at his lame excuse and he didn't even own it. So you were supposedly just reading someone else's report. Really? So that leaves two options: 1) he's lying or 2) he's too incompetent to realize that part wasn't appropriate to share in a business meeting.

Either way that's not someone who's judgement I would trust to run my club.

He'll get another job, apparently he's well respected, but the ATL is definitely not the place for him.

knickerbockerny
09-10-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't get how some can find these statements to be anything beyond biased, derogatory and edging on racist. This has become a PR nightmare for the Hawks and as long as Ferry is apart of management, free agents will think twice about signing or not sign with them altogether. Regardless if these statements were Ferry's own or a scout's via Ferry as a messenger, companies get rid of people all the time if their association with the company will damage the brand, and Ferry has damaged the brand.

In the past couple of days the Hawks may have first alienated fans, and now alienated players... This is a mess and needs to be cleaned up quick. Leverson selling was a start, and the removal of Ferry and the scout continues the process.

BigCityofDreams
09-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Then you look at his lame excuse and he didn't even own it. So you were supposedly just reading someone else's report. Really? So that leaves two options: 1) he's lying or 2) he's too incompetent to realize that part wasn't appropriate to share in a business meeting.

Either way that's not someone who's judgement I would trust to run my club.

He'll get another job, apparently he's well respected, but the ATL is definitely not the place for him.

That's the thing if this was from a scout/source you mean to tell me Ferry didn't distance himself from the statements during the conference call. Maybe he did but the other owner felt strong enough to check into it.

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Yes it was very anti-immigrant. You come across the same sorts of stereotypes when people talk about Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican or any other sort of immigrant in this country (eg, they're cheap, they're swindlers, they're lazy, etc.). It's rude and stereotypical, but it's not racist. If every anti-immigrant sentiment gets you thrown out of your job we're going to have Greece-level unemployment rates in this country.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh:....

DitchDat
09-10-2014, 05:12 AM

Wow, that's brutal. Was he reading that? Or did he formulate this himself?

PurpleLynch
09-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Best comment I've read so far:
"Danny Ferry has a lot of privileged white-boy in him. And not in a good way, but like a guy who has a responsible NBA position out front, but peddles noxious stereotypes out the back." Kudos to this random comment.

Anyway,the scouting report was something of surreal. "He is the type of guy who would have a nice store and sell counterfeit in the back." Ah,I'm actually surprised that Sterling didn't hire him when he was in charge of the Clippers.

PurpleLynch
09-10-2014, 06:34 AM

That's a new one. It's not anymore "racism",but "anti-immigrant". Can you explain me why is it not racist? I mean,I'm italian and if I want to work in the US and my hypothetical boss tells me that all italians are lazy,mafia related and eat pasta everyday,should I consider it as rude and anti immigrant? I mean why it is not racist?
I understand,racism is founded on wrong basis(you know,you can't explain to a racist that we are all humans biologically the same and there's just a race,the human one,because they are very dumb!),but in common language is described it as a racist attitude when you generalize in a negative way an entire population.

Munkeysuit
09-10-2014, 08:13 AM
What in the world? Deng can be as sensitive and proud as he wants to be, I admire those who stand up for their cultural heritage, BUT, what Danny said wasn't too bad, I mean he shouldn't be fired for that! what in the heck is wrong with people nowadays!

IndyRealist
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
That's a new one. It's not anymore "racism",but "anti-immigrant". Can you explain me why is it not racist? I mean,I'm italian and if I want to work in the US and my hypothetical boss tells me that all italians are lazy,mafia related and eat pasta everyday,should I consider it as rude and anti immigrant? I mean why it is not racist?
I understand,racism is founded on wrong basis(you know,you can't explain to a racist that we are all humans biologically the same and there's just a race,the human one,because they are very dumb!),but in common language is described it as a racist attitude when you generalize in a negative way an entire population.
Without going back and re-reading the line of replies (get on it, PSD!) I can't tell if he was saying anti-immigrant isn't racist. I can, however, say that anti-immigrant is a form of racism, and becoming more and more prevalent in the US. You can't imagine how much racist crap I hear living in Texas, and I say, "What do you mean, like me?" and the response is, "No, you were born here. I'm not being racist."

KingoftheDock
09-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Without going back and re-reading the line of replies (get on it, PSD!) I can't tell if he was saying anti-immigrant isn't racist. I can, however, say that anti-immigrant is a form of racism, and becoming more and more prevalent in the US. You can't imagine how much racist crap I hear living in Texas, and I say, "What do you mean, like me?" and the response is, "No, you were born here. I'm not being racist."

why does it matter where you hear it? Plus I think you're just being sensitive anyway and facbricating everything. Most don't like ILLEGAL immigrants

But why does the state matter?

valade16
09-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Well now that I've been told Danny Ferry slandering an entire continents worth of people by insinuating they are all shady characters wasn't racist, it was just prejudice against immigrants, I suppose it's alright...

KingoftheDock
09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
He should probably lose his job, not because of what he may have said or whatever, but because he's a horrible gm.

flea
09-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Well now that I've been told Danny Ferry slandering an entire continents worth of people by insinuating they are all shady characters wasn't racist, it was just prejudice against immigrants, I suppose it's alright...

He was quoting someone else for one. Look up racism if you're confused at the difference. I'll grant that it's subtle but it's not the same as having a hatred for black people. I wasn't saying it's an excusable viewpoint, in fact I think anti-immigrant sentiments are worse than racism, but many people hold such views.

Shady66
09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Its hotter than Africa in this thread

valade16
09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
He was quoting someone else for one. Look up racism if you're confused at the difference. I'll grant that it's subtle but it's not the same as having a hatred for black people. I wasn't saying it's an excusable viewpoint, in fact I think anti-immigrant sentiments are worse than racism, but many people hold such views.

It seems your biggest indignation in all of these stories is people aren't correctly identifying the form of hatred they are using (racism or anti-immigration).

Imagine if you felt as strongly as you do about someone misusing the word racism about the person saying the hateful comments. That would be a novel concept.

flea
09-10-2014, 11:05 AM
People say mean things everyday - even black people. I just don't think we're better off served by whining endlessly until someone loses their job over it. Most people aren't bad people, they just say dumb things. We should probably just lighten up because I don't see any of this advancing the civil rights of black people in this country. I am very much a Booker T. Washington disciple with regards to black relations in this country.

KingoftheDock
09-10-2014, 11:14 AM
You say some smart stuff on here as I've been reading the last few weeks and finally decided to join. But man, you have a messed up avatar and name.

tking07
09-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't think what he said was racist

flea
09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

I do not seek to make excuses for a comment, it's wrong either way. Letting the media getting away with telling you it's racism isn't just a lie though, it's a lie that's used to divide us. People start thinking like Tony Starks, that every corporate white man hast a "plantation mentality." That's just not true, and even if it were true jumping around with faux-outrage isn't going to change it.

Someone else made a good post in here that this is basically about being poor, it's not about skin color. Letting someone else make it about skin color changes the narrative and inhibits the ability for change. Immigrants are poor, and they always get the short end of the stick. But that truth is harder to confront than just saying "here's another rich racist *******."

Phenomenonsense
09-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Guys guys guys, this isn't racist! He said "I don't mean it in a bad way." Despite definitely meaning it in a bad way, then elaborated on why he did mean it in a bad way, he said not in a bad way. That's like the no homo of racism.

BigCityofDreams
09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
People say mean things everyday - even black people. I just don't think we're better off served by whining endlessly until someone loses their job over it. Most people aren't bad people, they just say dumb things. We should probably just lighten up because I don't see any of this advancing the civil rights of black people in this country. I am very much a Booker T. Washington disciple with regards to black relations in this country.

It depends on one's definition of bad. I don't think most people are out here harassing ppl everyday but jerks are found in every walk of life.

I do not seek to make excuses for a comment, it's wrong either way. Letting the media getting away with telling you it's racism isn't just a lie though, it's a lie that's used to divide us. People start thinking like Tony Starks, that every corporate white man hast a "plantation mentality." That's just not true, and even if it were true jumping around with faux-outrage isn't going to change it.

Someone else made a good post in here that this is basically about being poor, it's not about skin color. Letting someone else make it about skin color changes the narrative and inhibits the ability for change. Immigrants are poor, and they always get the short end of the stick. But that truth is harder to confront than just saying "here's another rich racist *******."

Obviously not all of them have that mentality but I'm sure there is a handful that do. If brining light to the station is something you feel is necessary that what would the better solution be. Ignore it and just keep it moving?? I'm seriously asking.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 12:46 PM

It's always nice to have people quote you with words you actually never said. Next time just use the quote button instead of putting words in my mouth please. Thank you.

Heatcheck
09-10-2014, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=flea;29022089]People say mean things everyday - even black people. I just don't think we're better off served by whining endlessly until someone loses their job over it. Most people aren't bad people, they just say dumb things. We should probably just lighten up because I don't see any of this advancing the civil rights of black people in this country. I am very much a Booker T. Washington disciple with regards to black relations in this country [QUOTE]

They do...everyday...but when your in a position of power, like the gm of a professional sports team, you make your organization look bad. an organization that makes money through attendance no less. saying some one is an alright person, and attributing the shady, non admirable parts of his character to his country of birth looks pretty ignorant and can alienate customers. so his superiors wanting him removed isn't that unimaginable.

Im not a fan of booker ts way of thinking. we're all americans period. i feel his thought process would separate us and alienate us from each other even more. I agree more with Jack Johnson, who felt like if he wanted to bang a white woman, he should be able to, and wanted to be heavyweight champion of the world, not of the blacks. we should all have a level playing field and just being a good boy and behaving wasn't going to change that.

PurpleLynch
09-10-2014, 01:40 PM

I didn't want to start anything,I was just asking because I'm not familiar with this concept,I'm sorry for that(to me Ferry's word were just racism,I don't see any difference,but that doesn't matter),but I agree with you,no one(rich or poor) should be labeled because of the actions of one stupid man.
Said that,I'm not outraging,I just think a lot of people also on this forum are making a lot of excuses to these kind of attitude and I'm tired of it.

drachir05
09-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't know that there is any way you can say that other than in a bad way. What does "a little african in him" suggest in this context other than some negative connotation? Come on....

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
why does it matter where you hear it? Plus I think you're just being sensitive anyway and facbricating everything. Most don't like ILLEGAL immigrants

But why does the state matter?

This is false. I love them, feel bad for them, and respect them for trying to make a better life for themselves and there families. When little women cross big oceans desserts, carrying there babies and a water jug, I gotta show love and give respect for that. Yes some illegal immigrants are up to no good, just like some legal citizens are up to no good.

flea
09-10-2014, 01:58 PM
They do...everyday...but when your in a position of power, like the gm of a professional sports team, you make your organization look bad. an organization that makes money through attendance no less. saying some one is an alright person, and attributing the shady, non admirable parts of his character to his country of birth looks pretty ignorant and can alienate customers. so his superiors wanting him removed isn't that unimaginable.

Im not a fan of booker ts way of thinking. we're all americans period. i feel his thought process would separate us and alienate us from each other even more. I agree more with Jack Johnson, who felt like if he wanted to bang a white woman, he should be able to, and wanted to be heavyweight champion of the world, not of the blacks. we should all have a level playing field and just being a good boy and behaving wasn't going to change that.

I see your point of view and it's perfectly reasonable. I feel like the "black community" as portrayed in the media is kind of a joke though. Everyone posts on twitter, then Jesse Jackson comes to town, some white people get together and say "yeah we're awful sorry about this, it's just the bad whites though," the black leaders get their time to rile some people up, then some black columnists write articles about subtle racism and post a bunch of statistics, and then we wait for the next episode where we can start all over again.

I don't really see that as remedying the entrenched racial disparities in this country. Every other minority in America rose up because they became an economic force. When people make an off color comment about Jews, Italians, or Asians there are some people upset but nobody is forced to give up their job. Know why? It's because nobody really cares except for the vocal minority that enjoy being outraged. But when black people come up it's a **** storm of white guilt, hand-wringing, and "deeply sincere" apologies. If I were black I would be pretty sick of white people apologizing, and sick of being treated like a minority that is so easily catered to.

Now, do blacks have a tougher time because they're so easily identifiable? No doubt. But that's just more excuses and apologies. That's why I fall into Washington's camp. Nobody is going to give anyone political power because politics is a zero sum game.

Leaveit2divac
09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
But he didn't say it in a bad way....If you need to throw in "and I don't say that in a bad way" then it's probably not good.

raiderfaninTX
09-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Lets keep it simple for those who are tired of this

If you're tired of hearing about this, don't you think black people are tired of experiencing it?

kdspurman
09-10-2014, 02:47 PM
As soon as those words left Ferry's mouth on the call, Gearon responded in a dramatic way in the background of the tape recording, according to a partial transcript of the call obtained by Yahoo Sports.

"Oh my God, that comment sounds like Sterling on TMZ," Gearon said.

Gearon didn't stop Ferry. He let him keep talking. In the transcript, Ferry detailed the information he'd gathered on Deng. Ferry attributes those characterizations and inappropriate phrasing to outside sources.

On Deng, Ferry said: " For example, he can come out and be an unnamed source for a story and two days later come out and say, 'That absolutely was not me. I can't believe someone said that.'

"But talking to reporters, you know they can [believe it]."

Ferry kept going on Deng: " Good guy in Chicago. They will tell you he was good for their culture, but not a culture setter. He played hard and all those things, but he was very worried about his bobble-head being the last one given away that year, or there was not enough stuff of him in the [team] store kind of a complex guy."

More here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/an-exclusive-look-at-hawks-gm-danny-ferry-s-fateful-phone-call-180253404.html

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 03:14 PM

If you're tired of hearing about this, don't you think black people are tired of experiencing it?

Bingo.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 03:20 PM
At the end of the day you can make all the excuses for Ferry you want but he will more than likely have to resign. Not for being a racist, for not having common sense or good judgement. Point blank period.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-10-2014, 03:38 PM
At the end of the day you can make all the excuses for Ferry you want but he will more than likely have to resign. Not for being a racist, for not having common sense or good judgement. Point blank period.

It is a bad situation all around. Some Hawks owners at each others throats. Some Hawks owners liking and not liking the GM. A scout feeling it is okay to put idiotic statements like that in a report. Ferry at best being dumb enough to repeat those words. Ive heard some of Ferry's former teammates stood up for Ferry saying he is not a racist so its too bad that word is now being put on him. Reports said it was Ferry who pushed to make two offers to Deng. Still with everything that is going on I agree with you that Ferry probably should resign for multiple reasons.

BigCityofDreams
09-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I see your point of view and it's perfectly reasonable. I feel like the "black community" as portrayed in the media is kind of a joke though. Everyone posts on twitter, then Jesse Jackson comes to town, some white people get together and say "yeah we're awful sorry about this, it's just the bad whites though," the black leaders get their time to rile some people up, then some black columnists write articles about subtle racism and post a bunch of statistics, and then we wait for the next episode where we can start all over again.

I don't really see that as remedying the entrenched racial disparities in this country. Every other minority in America rose up because they became an economic force. When people make an off color comment about Jews, Italians, or Asians there are some people upset but nobody is forced to give up their job. Know why? It's because nobody really cares except for the vocal minority that enjoy being outraged. But when black people come up it's a **** storm of white guilt, hand-wringing, and "deeply sincere" apologies. If I were black I would be pretty sick of white people apologizing, and sick of being treated like a minority that is so easily catered to.

Now, do blacks have a tougher time because they're so easily identifiable? No doubt. But that's just more excuses and apologies. That's why I fall into Washington's camp. Nobody is going to give anyone political power because politics is a zero sum game.

That's not true people have made remarks about those groups you mentioned and more often than not step don or are fired. All it takes is a quick Google. If people don't notice it's because they choose not to.

Exactly. Think about experiencing BS like this every so often. As a community black people pick and choose their fighst. We don't grab the pitch forks every time something like this comes up. Jessica Sims was discharged from the Navy for refusing to cut her braids. Despite it being talked about you haven't seen protests, marches, or requests for her bosses to resign.

People are tired of hearing about it because they thought we lived in a post racial society but that's not the case. As I said in another thread everything isn't based on racism...not everything that happens is racist but we still have a long way to go contrary to popular belief.

flea
09-10-2014, 04:01 PM
How many times by Hollywood-types have comments been made about the town being "run by Jews?" You basically have to go to Mel Gibson levels of vileness before people care, and even then he still gets to make his movies. And Asian comments? Just ask fobolous about how little American society cares if you make an off color joke about them. Everyone from Harry Reid to Darnell Dockett have made those jokes unashamedly (and Dockett even refused to apologize (http://www.buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/nfl-player-tweets-racist-joke-and-refuses-to-apologize#3yyol8x)!).

Believe what you want but it's different for anything approaching a comment about black people.

BigCityofDreams
09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
How many times by Hollywood-types have comments been made about the town being "run by Jews?" You basically have to go to Mel Gibson levels of vileness before people care, and even then he still gets to make his movies. And Asian comments? Just ask fobolous about how little American society cares if you make an off color joke about them. Everyone from Harry Reid to Darnell Dockett have made those jokes unashamedly (and Dockett even refused to apologize (http://www.buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/nfl-player-tweets-racist-joke-and-refuses-to-apologize#3yyol8x)!).

Believe what you want but it's different for anything approaching a comment about black people.

Why just limit it to Hollywood? It can and has been anyone in any walk of life. People seem to has this belief that if you offend black people you get punished but if you offend any other group it gets ignored/brushed. That's not the case.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
It is a bad situation all around. Some Hawks owners at each others throats. Some Hawks owners liking and not liking the GM. A scout feeling it is okay to put idiotic statements like that in a report. Ferry at best being dumb enough to repeat those words. Ive heard some of Ferry's former teammates stood up for Ferry saying he is not a racist so its too bad that word is now being put on him. Reports said it was Ferry who pushed to make two offers to Deng. Still with everything that is going on I agree with you that Ferry probably should resign for multiple reasons.

He'll have to resign for, if no other reason, that ATL's fan base and market base is majority black. Affluent blacks, money spending blacks at that. He has no other option because they're not taking it lightly and at this point you've become a liability to the team.

But it amazes me how people act so naive. I'm sure a lot of us are familiar with corp ways in some way or fashion. There's a certain protocol for any communication that may become public. Any dude in a cubicle making 12 bucks and hour knows that. The higher your position, the higher your accountability. Thus the higher your liability if your ignorant statements ever hit the public....

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 06:22 PM
He should not be fired for simply reading a report. I don't care what it said, especially over a telephone conference. If the words about "having african in him", "not in a bad way" or "store owner that sells balck market out the back" were all just being read off a scouting report, then common people, lets have some common sense about this. If he gets fired for reading something...then that is going way to far. I'm Black and I'm not offended by someone reading info from a report. The guy who wrote the report is wrong, but Ferry is innocent.

joeyc77
09-10-2014, 07:04 PM

That's fair.

I just have one question. Can you tell me who exactly is experiencing any racism in regards to the Ferry comments?

Shady66
09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
This is false. I love them, feel bad for them, and respect them for trying to make a better life for themselves and there families. When little women cross big oceans desserts, carrying there babies and a water jug, I gotta show love and give respect for that. Yes some illegal immigrants are up to no good, just like some legal citizens are up to no good.
They took our jobs! A derka der!!!!!

valade16
09-11-2014, 08:45 AM
That's fair.

I just have one question. Can you tell me who exactly is experiencing any racism in regards to the Ferry comments?

You mean aside from the guy who Ferry mentioned having to put out a statement regarding his character?

Yeah, I mean, nobody seems to be affected by this.

joeyc77
09-11-2014, 09:28 AM
You mean aside from the guy who Ferry mentioned having to put out a statement regarding his character?

Yeah, I mean, nobody seems to be affected by this.

Well Ferry apparently read the comments of a scout out loud in a meeting/call so he didn't say it to Deng. Also, while the metaphor was extremely stupid, he is allowed to make remarks about Dengs character.

Also, I can understand how some could be offended but if Ferry was reading from a report, how is that any different than the media? Who is the offender? Ferry? The scout? The media? Seems to me we just want to blame the most recognizable name.

Oefarmy2005
09-11-2014, 09:53 AM
What does it have to do with basketball? It's irrelevant.

I my honest opinion, it is a complement. People from Africa are harder working and typically less entitled than African-Americans. I think that's the point he was trying to make and I agree.

BigCityofDreams
09-11-2014, 09:58 AM
I my honest opinion, it is a complement. People from Africa are harder working and typically less entitled than African-Americans. I think that's the point he was trying to make and I agree.

But then why did he add the other stuff to it if he was complimenting him? Why imply he was a liar/cheat?

Statement from Adam Silver:

"The discipline of a team employee is typically determined by the team, and in this case the Hawks hired a prestigious Atlanta law firm to investigate the circumstances of Danny Ferry's clearly inappropriate and unacceptable remarks," Silver said. "In my view, those comments, taken alone, do not merit his losing his job.

"It's a question of context ... These words, in this context, understanding the full story here, the existence of the scouting report, the fact that he was looking at the scouting report as a reference when he was making these remarks, what I'm saying is and frankly my opinion is that this is a team decision in terms of what the appropriate discipline is for their employee. But if I'm being asked my view, I'm saying that, based on what I know about the circumstances, I don't think it's a terminable offense."

valade16
09-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Well Ferry apparently read the comments of a scout out loud in a meeting/call so he didn't say it to Deng. Also, while the metaphor was extremely stupid, he is allowed to make remarks about Dengs character.

Also, I can understand how some could be offended but if Ferry was reading from a report, how is that any different than the media? Who is the offender? Ferry? The scout? The media? Seems to me we just want to blame the most recognizable name.

This is the first I'm hearing that he was simply reading a scouts report as opposed to saying his own opinion.

If that is indeed the case, yeah he shouldn't be blamed/punished/ostracized/etc. That probably explains why he hasn't faced any form of discipline and the owner has.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 10:24 AM
On the basketball court black guys are always picked over me even though I'm better then most of them. That's raciest AF they should be fired as captains.

BigCityofDreams
09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
This is the first I'm hearing that he was simply reading a scouts report as opposed to saying his own opinion.

If that is indeed the case, yeah he shouldn't be blamed/punished/ostracized/etc. That probably explains why he hasn't faced any form of discipline and the owner has.

Well according to someone within the Hawks org. he has been disciplined but they aren't going to release the details are. If Ferry was indeed reading that from a report, did he distance himself from it during the conference call?? If it was just from reports and not his own words why would the Hawks minority owner feel strong enough to suggest he should be fired?

benzni
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
the epitome of an unnecessary comment.

PurpleLynch
09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
On the basketball court black guys are always picked over me even though I'm better then most of them. That's raciest AF they should be fired as captains.

What's the purpose behind this comment?

BigCityofDreams
09-11-2014, 01:21 PM

Probably just trolling.

Heatcheck
09-11-2014, 01:28 PM

he plays at a very sexy basketball court, the raciest in ohio.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Racism goes both ways and people need to stop being so sensitive to every comment.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 03:24 PM

he plays at a very sexy basketball court, the raciest in ohio.

I play at The Playboy mansion, very sexy!

PurpleLynch
09-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Racism goes both ways and people need to stop being so sensitive to every comment.

Maybe you are not as good at bball as you think? Could it be possible? Or black guys that play with you are just "racist" because they pick other guys before you?
You weren't compared to a shady dealer because of your race.

Your sig is definitely on point.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Maybe you are not as good at bball as you think? Could it be possible? Or black guys that play with you are just "racist" because they pick other guys before you?

No I'm best in world me > lebron, they won't let me go pro cuz I'm too good. Nah, but I'm def better then most the guys. But that wasn't where I play, I just decided to jump in a random game and I was picked last and only white guy. Being 6'4 and athletic build have 5'7 dudes with no shot picked over you is odd.

Dealer? I don't sell drugs sir.

Another sensitive guy I see. My point is if everyone runs around calling everyone raciest then the country will never grow.

ohreally
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't see that there's any way to avoid the fact that what was said was racist. Even if you accept the fact that white Europeans and Americans could probably substitute Turks, Arabs, Chinese, Jews, and just about anybody not of white European Christian stock. Even if white Europeans ran (and still run) the best stores of the kind throughout the less developed world.

The remark could have been made without mention of Africa, since no group is free of double dealers and false faces. But naming a them as being indicative of the trait? Yeah, that's racist.

And you can't be a victim of racism if you're a member of a privileged majority. You can be a victim of bias or racialism, but racialism is just a very small part of what makes up racism.

ohreally
09-11-2014, 08:43 PM
No I'm best in world me > lebron, they won't let me go pro cuz I'm too good. Nah, but I'm def better then most the guys. But that wasn't where I play, I just decided to jump in a random game and I was picked last and only white guy. Being 6'4 and athletic build have 5'7 dudes with no shot picked over you is odd.

Another sensitive guy I see. My point is if everyone runs around calling everyone raciest then the country will never grow.

I'm happy for you that's that is so easy for you to say.

prodigy
09-11-2014, 09:16 PM

I'm happy for you that's that is so easy for you to say.

I can tell you stories sir.

drachir05
09-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Deng's response was classy and classic. That is exactly how you deal with ignorance. If I am the Atlanta Hawks, I think you replace Danny Ferry... My 2 cents!

BigCityofDreams
09-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Danny Ferry audio a little hard to hear:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-09-11/audio-danny-ferry-luol-deng-hawks-little-bit-of-african-in-him

joeyc77
09-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Not at least I understand the meaning and how it relates to basketball.

It sounds like a fair criticism hidden behind a really stupid metaphor.

PurpleLynch
09-12-2014, 05:43 AM

In fact I wasn't talking about you,but about Ferry's comment,that's anyway the discussion of this thread.
You weren't compared to a shady dealer,that's what I was trying to say. I'm not sensitive,sir,I think that is desrespectful saying that because it's racist,that's all.
No one is running around calling racist other people: DS,Ferry reading that scout reporting(I'm not convinced he didn't know what was written on the report) and that Hawks's owner said "strange" things using the classic "no homo" strategy(He's not perfect,he has some african still in him,I'm not saying that in a bad way;there are too many black cheerleaders and even the kisscam is too black,but don't take it in a wrong way; I'm not racist,me and my old fart friends just don't like you hanging around with blacks,because we aren't comfortable around them).
Your country will never grow until people like these stop saying this ****. I'm not Jesse Jackson,I just think that they were saying racist things and that's why Silver started an investigation.
And stop calling me sensitive,I'm not even black,I'm just against dumb ideas.

ewing
09-12-2014, 07:48 AM
]Maybe you are not as good at bball as you think? Could it be possible? Or black guys that play with you are just "racist" because they pick other guys before you?[/B]

that could be but why do you assume he is wrong. have you seen the documentary "White Men can't jump"?

da ThRONe
09-12-2014, 11:44 AM
People have to learn the difference between race and culture. This was a cultural stereotype against Africans. We see these type of things all the time with all different forms of cultures. Cultural stereotypes tend to be accurate to some degree because a culture is something you learn it's not something you are born with.

Punk
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
People have to learn the difference between race and culture. This was a cultural stereotype against Africans. We see these type of things all the time with all different forms of cultures. Cultural stereotypes tend to be accurate to some degree because a culture is something you learn it's not something you are born with.

Sometimes these cultural stereotypes are used as an excuse to belittle another races. Look at how most whites viewed other blacks after the OJ trial for example.

PurpleLynch
09-12-2014, 12:51 PM
that could be but why do you assume he is wrong. have you seen the documentary "White Men can't jump"?

Absolutely! But Billy Hoyle was the real deal! That doesn't count!

king4day
09-12-2014, 01:03 PM
So if he's the one who said it (and he wasn't reading from a report or something), does the Hawks owner still have to sell the team?

ewing
09-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Sometimes these cultural stereotypes are used as an excuse to belittle another races. Look at how most whites viewed other blacks after the OJ trial for example.

how did they?

BigCityofDreams
09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
So if he's the one who said it (and he wasn't reading from a report or something), does the Hawks owner still have to sell the team?

The Hawks owner is selling his stake in the team no matter what whether it was Ferry's words or someone else's.

da ThRONe
09-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Sure, but how can one tell the difference? We don't know enough about Ferry as a person to make such conclusion. So instead of trying to be mind readers we have to take his worlds at face value.

kdspurman
09-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know if it was shared or not but here's the scouting report.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/12/LuolDeng.pdf

The quote in here says "He's a good guy on the cover but he's an African."

ohreally
09-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Sure, but how can one tell the difference? We don't know enough about Ferry as a person to make such conclusion. So instead of trying to be mind readers we have to take his worlds at face value.

So Africa has a single culture, is that what you're saying?

BigCityofDreams
09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Ferry is taking an indefinite leave of absence. This is his statement:

ATLANTA, GA -- The following statement was released by President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Danny Ferry:

"No words can adequately describe my remorse for the hurt that I have caused many people through the statements I repeated, most importantly Luol Deng.

Luol is a good man who I have known for many years and he has done a tremendous amount of good for his country and around the world. I apologize to Luol and I apologize to all that I have offended. As I have said, while these were not my words, I deeply regret repeating them.

Almost all the background information I provided during the lengthy presentation regarding Luol was positive and my personal and professional recommendation during the call was very much in favor of adding Luol to our team but I never should have uttered those offensive remarks and for that I apologize.

My focus moving forward is to tirelessly work to rebuild trust with this community and with our fans. I realize that my words may ring hollow now and my future actions must speak for me.

I will maximize my time during this leave to meet with community leaders and further educate myself and others on the extremely sensitive issues surrounding race, diversity, and inclusion. I will find a way to make a positive difference in this area, and further learn from the sensitivity training that I will go through.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/statement-danny-ferry

torocan
09-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Levenson selling the team is suddenly starting to make a LOT more sense.

From the latest Hawks press release...

"We know enough today, based on investigations conducted by the league, by external legal counsel on behalf of the team, and information that has appeared in the media, that our shortcomings are beyond a single email, a single person or a single event," Koonin said. "To the contrary, over a period of years, we have found that there have been inflammatory words, phrases, inferences, and innuendos about race. We as an organization did not correct these failures. We did not do the right thing."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11518622/atlanta-hawks-ceo-writes-open-letter-apologizing-racially-charged-comments

Looks like the e-mail and audio were just the tip of the iceberg. Suddenly the sale is making a LOT more sense...

rocketfuel
09-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I read another scouting report. It said that Danny Ferry had a bit of an idiot in him.