PDA

View Full Version : NBA's Salary Cap Could Increase By 16 Million

Clippersfan86
09-09-2014, 02:40 AM
"The NBA and its network partners expect to reach an agreement in principle on new long-term media deals by the start of the regular season, according to sources on all sides of the discussions.

Talks have progressed so rapidly that details are emerging on a massive agreement that would see the league’s annual rights fee more than double, with ESPN and Turner combining to pay more than $2 billion per year on average. One source said ESPN already has committed to pay “well over” $1 billion per year, and Turner is not far behind for a media rights extension that would kick in with the 2016-17 season.

As part of the current eight-year deals that end in June 2016, ESPN pays $485 million per year and Turner pays $445 million per year on average, bringing the league’s total take at just less than $1 billion per year.

But that figure would be dwarfed in a new deal that several sources pegged as an eight-year pact, though one source with knowledge of the talks said it ultimately could end up running nine years.

A final deal might not be signed or announced before the new season, but talks with ESPN and Turner are advanced enough that sources said there is little chance the NBA will carve out a third package for another network, like Fox Sports or NBC Sports. ESPN, in particular, has been adamant during negotiations that the NBA not develop a new package to sell to a competitive sports network, sources said."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/08/Media/NBA-media.aspx

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/nbas-new-tv-contracts-could-increase-salary-cap-by-about-16-million/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Crazy implications. Recent max deals wouldn't seem so bad now. Teams could afford a 3rd superstar for sure now if the numbers hold.

dalton749
09-09-2014, 02:45 AM
The league was just starting to become more balanced which we seen in round 1 of the playoffs, that'll change quickly if it goes up that much

da ThRONe
09-09-2014, 03:05 AM
I read somewhere that the league will look to balance out the increase in the cap over a period of a few years to prevent such a huge bump in cap space overnight.

DitchDat
09-09-2014, 06:43 AM
I read somewhere that the league will look to balance out the increase in the cap over a period of a few years to prevent such a huge bump in cap space overnight.

8 mill next season and 8 mill the season after that, I read. Would be great for the teams like the Sixers and Celtics.

Dade County
09-09-2014, 06:53 AM
This is great news for the HEAT and other teams that will have lots of room in their cap to go after free agent star players.

PurpleLynch
09-09-2014, 07:06 AM
I think an increase of 8 millions as I read in news would be great for any team. 16 millions is a goal that has to be reached bery slowly,it could bring a strong unbalance. But 8 millions is fair.

BALLER R
09-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Lebron signing that two year deal was a smart move. That max contract he's going to get is gonna be massive.

LTBaByyy
09-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Next season roster

Rondo
Ellis
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

We have the cap space if it's going up 8 mil next offseason!

:dance:

Raps18-19 Champ
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Nice.

HandsOnTheWheel
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Further hardship for teams trying to tank.

THE MTL
09-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Next season roster

Rondo
Ellis
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

We have the cap space if it's going up 8 mil next offseason!

:dance:

No, Rondo is a free agent next season. This deal becomes effective 2016-2017. Thats 2 seasons from now. Dont know how Dirk and Chandler will hold up by then.

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 09:27 AM
The league was just starting to become more balanced which we seen in round 1 of the playoffs, that'll change quickly if it goes up that much

LOL balance- that was such a load of crap by the owners during the last lockout. Nobody cares about balance- it was just that it sounded a lot better than- "we dont want to suffer too much when we make a bad signing"

Lebron and Love went to Cleveland this offseason and turned a lottery team in the east to an nba title contender. (do you think every other team had an opportunity to improve to that magnitude?)

as long as every team is working with the same salary cap it should be up to that team to

A) Generate revenue by working with corporate sponsors, tv deals, business development in the community.

B) Personnel decisions, contract extensions etc.

lvlheaded
09-09-2014, 09:40 AM
The Knicks already have mass amounts of salary coming off the books next year. An 8 million dollar increase would be huge in trying to build a balanced team

Pierzynski4Prez
09-09-2014, 10:13 AM
And all of a sudden every free agent will be going to every team I guess.

Lol at people thinking this gives them cap space for big time FAs. All salaries will go up, so that extra 8 mil will go to a guy who currently is worth 5 mil. Want a max guy, better have 25+ in cap space. It's still going to be just as hard to manage the cap and build a balanced roster.

akesh99
09-09-2014, 10:40 AM
^Was just gonna say this. People need to realize this isn't a bonus to add an extra free agent to their roster. It's going to inflate all salaries. In fact, teams that have players locked up long term right now may be in a better position with the cap rising than a team like the Knicks as someone mentioned who may have to sign a whole crop of new players with inflated salaries.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Yay! I get to watch my already exorbitant Comcast bill rise even futher! **** you NBA + ESPN + TNT !!!

kingsdelez24
09-09-2014, 11:23 AM
^Was just gonna say this. People need to realize this isn't a bonus to add an extra free agent to their roster. It's going to inflate all salaries. In fact, teams that have players locked up long term right now may be in a better position with the cap rising than a team like the Knicks as someone mentioned who may have to sign a whole crop of new players with inflated salaries.

It took a whole page for someone to point this out

NYKalltheway
09-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Knicks can be relevant again :D

VendettaRed07
09-09-2014, 12:22 PM
It isn't enough imo. Cap should go higher. There is so much TV money coming in now that even the small market teams will be able to afford going over the cap even with that kind of bump easily

The players need to take more of a stand this next CBA. Stern is essentially gone, Adam silver was just appointed, he can't afford to have a mega meltdown lockout so early in his tenure. Stern was there for so long he didn't care, he felt like he WAS the NBA, he was ready to set the league ablaze and the players just backed out.

The players will have way more negotiating power this time around. They really need to point towards the MLB and the absurd contracts even average players are getting there.

IndyRealist
09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Player strike in 2016.

Crackadalic
09-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Nba stars are still underpaid though compare to other players. The increase should be so much more. Kobe makes the most but brings the Lakers 70 million of revenue.

da ThRONe
09-09-2014, 02:00 PM
It isn't enough imo. Cap should go higher. There is so much TV money coming in now that even the small market teams will be able to afford going over the cap even with that kind of bump easily

The players need to take more of a stand this next CBA. Stern is essentially gone, Adam silver was just appointed, he can't afford to have a mega meltdown lockout so early in his tenure. Stern was there for so long he didn't care, he felt like he WAS the NBA, he was ready to set the league ablaze and the players just backed out.

The players will have way more negotiating power this time around. They really need to point towards the MLB and the absurd contracts even average players are getting there.

The players don't have the financial discipline to stand up to the league. They in all fairness get screwed by the owners every CBA.

kobe4thewinbang
09-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Super teams galore? No thanks...

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Yay! I get to watch my already exorbitant Comcast bill rise even futher! **** you NBA + ESPN + TNT !!!

you can always stream?

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
And all of a sudden every free agent will be going to every team I guess.

Lol at people thinking this gives them cap space for big time FAs. All salaries will go up, so that extra 8 mil will go to a guy who currently is worth 5 mil. Want a max guy, better have 25+ in cap space. It's still going to be just as hard to manage the cap and build a balanced roster.

LOL thank you for the economics seminar. LOL THIS- the control variable here is not how much money teams have to spend (its the number of available impact players ) there are still the same amount of teams fighting for the same players- LOL the result is going to be the same players making more money. Lebron figured this out- why cant any fans?

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 03:07 PM
The players don't have the financial discipline to stand up to the league. They in all fairness get screwed by the owners every CBA.

I thought they did alright in the 05 deal. but you are right- the owners were full of crap last yr saying they were all losing money- LOL then there are like 5 sales where each owner made hundreds of millions on their investment (even the bucks)

Confusious
09-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Nba stars are still underpaid though compare to other players. The increase should be so much more. Kobe makes the most but brings the Lakers 70 million of revenue.
This is stupid. They have other deals. Most stars have insane sponsor deals ON TOP of their contract deals.

By the way, the Pittsburgh Penguins bring in around 100 million from revenue, but Sidney Crosby, the best hockey player in the world, only makes $8.7 million a year (without any of his sponsor deals). And you think ball players are underpaid? HILARIOUS.

IndyRealist
09-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Super teams galore? No thanks...

Max salaries are a percentage of the cap, so it is very unlikely this will increase the number of superteams since 3 stars will still take up 90% of the salary.

IKnowHoops
09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I think it is better for the league and all teams within it fi they just expand the cap 16 mill instantly. Some teams may have 60 mill in space. Some teams may be stacked with 16 mill in space. Either way, I think all teams will be in a position to make major moves. And a lot of max players are signed for the next 4 to 5 years, so the cap will hit a few teams as 16 million in extra flexibility. For some teams it will make a smaller difference, but every team will get some level of flexibility from this. Some teams will be able to get a lot deeper. Some teams will be able to add another max player, some teams will be able to bring in a whole slew of talent, and some will be able to make a few small acquisitions to sure up the team. This will help all teams.

j-bay
09-09-2014, 06:59 PM
This will be great for my Wizards. We could offer Durant the largest contract in NBA history's and still have a shot load of money for Beal.

beasted86
09-09-2014, 07:47 PM
you can always stream?

I don't plan on sifting through unreliable stream sources/qualities, and NBA league pass is stupid enough to blackout all local games.