PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #6 SF In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
09-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

2014 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings
1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul George
5) Kawhi Leonard
6)

2013 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Andre Iguodala
5) Paul Pierce
6) Kawhi Leonard
7) Luol Deng
8) Danilo Gallinari
9) Rudy Gay
10) Chandler Parsons

2012 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Rudy Gay
7) Luol Deng
8) Danny Granger
9) Danilo Gallinari
10) Nicolas Batum

2011 Off-Season Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Danny Granger
7) Luol Deng
8) Rudy Gay
9) Gerald Wallace
10) Danilo Gallinari

2010 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Gerald Wallace
7) Andre Iguodala
8) Rudy Gay
9) Luol Deng
10) Ron Artest

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Draymond Green with his top 5 Defense and just overall great play.

LTBaByyy
09-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Chandler Parsons!

16 PPG, 6 RPG, 4 APG, 47 FG%, 37 3FG%

SPURSFAN1
09-08-2014, 05:13 AM
I went with batum. Didn't he rape parsons or something in the playoffs?

LTBaByyy
09-08-2014, 07:24 AM
I went with batum. Didn't he rape parsons or something in the playoffs?

Parsons avg 19 PPG 7 RPG 2 APG .438 FG% .361 3FG% in the playoffs vs Blazers

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Stats don't mean anything. It's talent that means something.

nycericanguy
09-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I went Batum, he's averaged 5apg over the last 2 years, and he's a much better defender than Parsons.

InRoseWeTrust
09-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Iggy

nycericanguy
09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Iggy

Batum has better numbers across the board and played more minutes and all 82 games on a team with a better record.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I think Iggy's game has declined significantly.

His rep stays high while his play declines. Last season I think he made 3.5 shots a game.

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I think Iggy's game has declined significantly.

His rep stays high while his play declines. Last season I think he made 3.5 shots a game.

Still a pretty good player overall and would help pretty much anyteam, but I don't know if he's top 7 type SF anymore. Plus I'd play him more at the shooting guard anyway, he's really only about 6'5 210.

Draymond Green is by far the best defensive player here. He averaged 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals in the Playoffs and pitched in good hustle points of 10 ppg on 47% shooting in the NBA Playoffs. Plus he passes well and averages aabout 3.4 assist per game and even actually gets a ton of passes that lead to the assist .

Mr. Baller
09-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Iggy is living off his rep. Its Parsons then Batum

nycericanguy
09-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Don't see how you can put Parsons over Batum.

Parsons scored more but Batum wins just about everything else including having a higher TS%, and eFG%. Parsons also attemped 13.3 shots per game compared to only 10 for Batum.

Then you add in defense and Batum blows away Parsons.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Still a pretty good player overall and would help pretty much anyteam, but I don't know if he's top 7 type SF anymore. Plus I'd play him more at the shooting guard anyway, he's really only about 6'5 210.

Draymond Green is by far the best defensive player here. He averaged 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals in the Playoffs and pitched in good hustle points of 10 ppg on 47% shooting in the NBA Playoffs. Plus he passes well and averages aabout 3.4 assist per game and even actually gets a ton of passes that lead to the assist .

I agree Iggy is more of a SG size wise but the problem is if you play him at SG late in games you only have 1 real ball handler on the court and he has a problem hitting free throws. So teams can go after him for a turnover when he has the ball with little fear of putting him on the line. His scoring has dropped from a peak of around 20ppg to now around 9.3 ppg but his rep on this board last season was as high as ever. He has legit value as a all around player but I really do not think he is in the top 10 of SF. Maybe not even in the top 15. I think the Warriors will regret in the near future that contract if they do not regret it already.

mightybosstone
09-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I voted for Ariza solely as a homer pick and because I refuse to vote for Parsons, but it should probably be Parsons or Iggy here.

nycericanguy
09-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Batum

13ppg
7.5rpg
5.1apg
.9spg
.7bpg

47% FG, 36% 3pt fg 80%ft

59% TS, 55% eFG

Started all 82 games on 54 win team, good defender.

Can't believe he only has 1 other vote besides mine...lol. He seems like the best of the bunch EASILY.

jaydubb
09-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Batum

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Batum

13ppg
7.5rpg
5.1apg
.9spg
.7bpg

47% FG, 36% 3pt fg 80%ft

59% TS, 55% eFG

Can't believe he only has 1 other vote besides mine...lol. He seems like the best of the bunch EASILY.

Of the players listed I think He might be the next best... Either him or Marion.

But overall I know that Draymond Green will average 11ppg 7 rebounds, 4 assist, 2 steals and 2 blocks on 46%. That's a better overall game than any. That's all around and he can slide to PF, SG, and Center. He's got a 7 foot wing span and is a physical player that "mixes it up and plays defense" .

So it's not all about stats, because a lot of the things Draymond does don't show up on the stat sheet.

tredigs
09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Batum has better numbers across the board and played more minutes and all 82 games on a team with a better record.

Across what board, though? Look at 82 games 'simple rating' and Iggy is only behind Curry on the Warriors and #14 in the league overall (Top 15 went KD>LBJ>Curry>Paul>Love>Melo>Harden>Dragic>Dirk>A. Davis>Griffin>Aldridge>Cousins>Iggy>PGeorge).

He also landed #2 overall in ESPN's RPM rating (behind only Lebron) due to having the #1 D-RPM for a wing along with a healthy O RPM.

Box score hawks will hate that he only averaged 9 ppg (though efficiently on a career high 55% eFG%), it simply was not what the Warriors needed out of him. Watching him daily, it's evident how genius he is defensively and it's not entirely surprising to me that he accrues some of the #'s he does in stats like DRPM.

He did miss a fair bit of action last year, and we saw that the Warriors were no better than a middling .500 squad without him. Him and Bogut were the reason the Defense was top ranked in the West in the regular season -- not something anybody expected out of a GS team.

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Across what board, though? Look at 82 games 'simple rating' and Iggy is only behind Curry on the Warriors and #14 in the league overall (Top 15 went KD>LBJ>Curry>Paul>Love>Melo>Harden>Dragic>Dirk>A. Davis>Griffin>Aldridge>Cousins>Iggy>PGeorge).

He also landed #2 overall in ESPN's RPM rating (behind only Lebron) due to having the #1 D-RPM for a wing along with a healthy O RPM.

Box score hawks will hate that he only averaged 9 ppg (though efficiently on a career high 55% eFG%), it simply was not what the Warriors needed out of him. Watching him daily, it's evident how genius he is defensively and it's not entirely surprising to me that he accrues some of the #'s he does in stats like DRPM.

He did miss a fair bit of action last year, and we saw that the Warriors were no better than a middling .500 squad without him. Him and Bogut were the reason the Defense was top ranked in the West in the regular season -- not something anybody expected out of a GS team.

You're right about Iggy, He is somewhere in the mix here for sure. And I know all you speak of about his game. It's just that I would call him more of a SG, but if you want to put him at the SF I think he indeed goes next right after Draymond Green.

you're right about Bogut and Iggy, but it was Also Lee, Green and M. Jackson that meant just as much. J. O'neal played well aswell. Maybe if they were in the East last season they would've been in the ECF and took miami to 7 or maybe beat them.

tredigs
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
You're right about Iggy, He is somewhere in the mix here for sure. And I know all you speak of about his game. It's just that I would call him more of a SG, but if you want to put him at the SF I think he indeed goes next right after Draymond Green.

you're right about Bogut and Iggy, but it was Also Lee, Green and M. Jackson that meant just as much. J. O'neal played well aswell.
They were a pretty good team that still manages with a chucker at pg. Maybe if they were in the East last season they would've been in the ECF and took miami to 7 or maybe beat them.

Draymond's a great talent and certainly helped the bench D big time in being able to guard 2-4's when the need arose, but he does not understand and manipulate another teams O into bad shots at anywhere near Iggy's rate at this point. Listening to the guy talk about how he breaks down an offensive set is illuminating to say the least.

Lee? Jackson? Just no.

And lol - off topic but that PG is by far the best player on the squad and the engine of the team; when he is out it is sad how quickly leads evaporate. All #'s and eye tests support that.

Potentially true for the EC comment, and also potentially true for the WC had Bogut not bowed out. Losing your size+defensive anchor and still being in the fight on a road game 7 v LAC was no small task; had they had a full squad I think only SAS wins.

Sonicsfan1980
09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Draymond's a great talent and certainly helped the bench D big time in being able to guard 2-4's when the need arose, but he does not understand and manipulate another teams O into bad shots at anywhere near Iggy's rate at this point. Listening to the guy talk about how he breaks down an offensive set is illuminating to say the least.

Lee? Jackson? Just no.

And lol - off topic but that PG is by far the best player on the squad and the engine of the team; when he is out it is sad how quickly leads evaporate. All #'s and eye tests support that.

Potentially true for the EC comment, and also potentially true for the WC had Bogut not bowed out. Losing your size+defensive anchor and still being in the fight on a road game 7 v LAC was no small task; had they had a full squad I think only SAS wins.

Dude I'm saying Iggy is good, but they'd still be a pretty good defensive team without him.
However losing Draymond and they'd be an average defensive team. He's the stronger athlete and can play like a center down low and BLOCK SHOTS... this is truely the most important stat in the game.
Draymond didn't miss games last season and probably won't miss any next season. Also notice how his minutes took a huge jump up in the Playoffs. Not so easy to do that in the playoffs and gian trust like that from coaches like that. That means he was clearly one of the best players in the playoffs.

Jackson, Bogut, Iggy, Lee, Draymond and O'neal are the reasons for their top ranked defense in the League. Jackson is a huge loss,

InRoseWeTrust
09-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Batum

13ppg
7.5rpg
5.1apg
.9spg
.7bpg

47% FG, 36% 3pt fg 80%ft

59% TS, 55% eFG

Batum isn't a good defender. Period. That's one of the most exaggerated narratives about a player in all of the NBA. Virtually every advanced metric reveals he's a subpar player on that side of the court.

tredigs
09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Dude I'm saying Iggy is good, but they'd still be a pretty good defensive team without him.
However losing Draymond and they'd be an average defensive team. He's the stronger athlete and can play like a center down low and BLOCK SHOTS... this is truely the most important stat in the game.
Draymond didn't miss games last season and probably won't miss any next season. Also notice how his minutes took a huge jump up in the Playoffs. Not so easy to do that in the playoffs and gian trust like that from coaches like that. That means he was clearly one of the best players in the playoffs.

Jackson, Bogut, Iggy, Lee, Draymond and O'neal are the reasons for their top ranked defense in the League. Jackson is a huge loss,

Iggy is still a far better athlete than Green - but Draymond's weight does allow him to guard bigs effectively and it's nice to have that with Lee in the block and Bogut missing time. O'Neal was unfortunately a non-factor after some nice play in the seasons early going. Even with Bogut out in the post-season they couldn't find him more than 10mpg. Without Green and with Klay/Iggy/Bogut? Far better than average D, and I doubt much credit should be awarded to spirit leader Mark Jackson - who led them to the illustrious 27th ranked D before Bogut/Green/Iggy joined aboard.