PDA

View Full Version : One-and-done Team USA

mrblisterdundee
09-07-2014, 01:16 PM
I read an interesting piece on Grantland about keeping Team USA young forever (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/keep-team-usa-young-forever/). It seems like a good idea to me, having NBA stars take part in only one two-year Team USA cycle, then passing the torch to other players. This year's team is mostly doing that, and they're killing the competition.
It'd have to mix new guys with veterans, and superstars with stars and maybe a few role players to not deplete the pool. But I think the U.S. has more than enough talent to stay competitive each two-year cycle with new guys.

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2014, 05:08 PM
If a guy is good enough to play in three Olympics and wants to, let him.

JEDean89
09-07-2014, 05:16 PM
i'd prefer a 4 year cycle where the young players play in the fiba games, then mostly the same team goes to the olympics, to keep continuity. then a new crop of players is selected to play in the following fiba games.

to me, the most important aspect of team usa is that it helps players on the cusp of breaking out get over the top. look at the 2010 team and look at the years everyone on that roster had following. Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Tyson, Rose all had their best seasons to date at the time and I would have my eyes on guys like DeRozan, Plumlee, Faried, Thompson because they are now prime candidates for true breakout seasons. Not oh I'm a good player breakout seasons but damn I'm an allstar breakout seasons.

For me this is the best part of watching these guys. They get to learn from the best coaches and get to compete against the best players on a daily basis. everyone of these guys are scrapping for playing time and it teaches them how to put their ego aside and play as a team.

KingPosey
09-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Whatever team gives us the bet chance to win. That's what it's about in the Olympics and World Games. It's not a coed tee ball team where everyone needs to have a chance.

akia83
09-08-2014, 06:29 AM
It depends if they want to win it all or not. I mean, Spain will probably beat this USA team. They need Durant and/or James in every competition to be able to win.

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 03:41 PM
It depends if they want to win it all or not. I mean, Spain will probably beat this USA team. They need Durant and/or James in every competition to be able to win.

I don't see Spain winning at all.

FlashBolt
09-08-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry but Olympics/global tournaments should be compiled of the best of their respective sport. No way 90% of the current team would make it if:

LJ
KD
Wade
Bosh
Howard
Westbrook
Love
CP3

and many others were here.

albertajaysfan
09-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry but Olympics/global tournaments should be compiled of the best of their respective sport. No way 90% of the current team would make it if:

LJ
KD
Wade
Bosh
Howard
Westbrook
Love
CP3

Seems like a pipe dream to think all of the top players will all play together at anything other than the Olympics. Even then you will still have vets and injured players who take a pass.

In terms of whether they should:

I think a 2 year cycle is far to short. 4 year cycle keeping in line with the cycle of the tournaments does make sense from a logic perspective. It wouldn't be able to be the entire team rolling over every 4 years though. More likely young players get inserted as older ones who have put in their time move on.

This also makes sense to me for the NBA as it would help young emerging players take the next step.

Thing is that seems to be the unofficial way it is though with a lot of vets taking a pass once they have represented Team USA once or twice.

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't see Spain winning at all.

I think Spain could beat the United States- but the United States is still the better team from top to bottom. If somehow spain loses, it wont be because the united states didnt have durant or lebron. It will be because of a lack of effort and team work by the guys they do have

likemystylez
09-09-2014, 12:03 AM

LJ
KD
Wade
Bosh
Howard
Westbrook
Love
CP3

id take anthony davis over bosh every single day and id take almost any back court starter in the nba over d wade these days

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I think Spain could beat the United States- but the United States is still the better team from top to bottom. If somehow spain loses, it wont be because the united states didnt have durant or lebron. It will be because of a lack of effort and team work by the guys they do have

I'm sure you meant "if Spain somehow wins." There's a great big chasm between the U.S. and any other country, in terms of basketball.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 09:54 PM
To be honest this team is not that impressive. If it weren't for Farried and Davis beasting on the glass and defense they would be in serious trouble.

Spain plays better team ball, wouldn't shock me at all if they win...

DitchDat
09-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Whatever team gives us the bet chance to win. That's what it's about in the Olympics and World Games. It's not a coed tee ball team where everyone needs to have a chance.

100% agreed. Just having the young guys practice with the squad is beneficial in itself.

akia83
09-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Every single US Team play with a lack of effort and less team work than Spain. That's why you need to be way better individually. Without Durant, or James, you're not.

Ty_Lawson
09-10-2014, 07:03 AM
I think Faried could get to Olympic team after this WC...He is player every team needs, and if Plumle can get to this team, Faried can do it with Olympic one...You won't see LMA(for example) as 3rd PF, he won't play if you tell him he is 3rd PF, but Faried would, and he would play like he is now, maybe even harder...

Munkeysuit
09-10-2014, 08:04 AM
I honestly dont want NBA players to represent the US in the olympics, I would much rather have college players do so, but I fully understand why NBA players represent our country...MONEY!

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I honestly dont want NBA players to represent the US in the olympics, I would much rather have college players do so, but I fully understand why NBA players represent our country...MONEY!

College players would lose. You're putting kids up against a bunch of professional grown men, lots of which are in the league already. Which is why they went to NBA players in the first place.