PDA

View Full Version : Did Minnesota really blow it back in 2010?

arlubas
09-07-2014, 06:57 AM
The Wolves had arguably one of the most promising front courts in the league in Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, which had they kept, would've been by far the best in the NBA right now (even though their interior D would've been bad tbh). So in addition to Minnesota shipping Big Al to Utah for 2 future picks and Kosta Koufos, they also picked Wesley Johnson 4th overall in that year's draft with guys like Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Eric Bledsoe & Avery Bradley still on the board (and that's just the perimeter players, there were also plenty of quality bigs which they could've traded afterwards). As if all of the above weren't enough they also invested their evolution as a team to guys like Darko Milicic and Michael Beasley, whose names speak for themselves at this point (even though being fair, B-Easy did have his best season in the L in 10-11).

In your opinion if the Wolves wanted to and actually had a competent front office, could they have formed a contender based around their then dynamic duo of bigs? What would you have done if you were their GM?

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't blame the Wolves for taking a gamble on Beasley and Darko.... they were low investments with potentially high yield. It's like Sac-town taking a gamble on Derek Williams, or the Thunder picking up Thabeet.

I think having two post scorers looks good on paper, but I'm not sure Big Al and K-Love would have had chemistry, and as you mentioned, the defence would have been lack. The offensive spacing could have been awkward at time. Love can step outside, so it may have worked. And Love could have went to the post when Big Al was on the bench. They would have ate up the rebounds for sure, but on defence... that is a big deal.

They could have moved Big AL and used that pick to grab DMC or Greg Monroe.

Hayward and Paul George weren't expected to go that high, so it would have been a bold move to pick either of them.

It's hard to fault them for picking D-Will.... he was high on everybody's draft board, and the picks following him weren't terribly great.

What really killed them though was the 2009 draft. They picked two point guards, Johnny Flynn (who isn't even in the league) and Ricky Rubio (who is likely the worst shooter in the league among every starter). And the NEXT guy picked was Stephen Curry.

If they had just gone with Curry and then picked DMDR to pair with him? Or Gerald Henderson. This team would be competing for a title right now. And the thing is, Curry was high on a lot of mock drafts. A lot of people had him going ahead of Rubio and certainly ahead of Flynn.

What I wouldn't have given to see K-Love and Steph Curry playing together.

JEDean89
09-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Um Minnesota really blew it when they took Rubio/Flynn over guys like Curry, Lawson, DeRozan and Brewer over guys like Noah. I did a redraft of their picks and got a team of

Noah/Pekovic
Love/Dieng
George/Leonard
DeRozan/Lavine
Curry/Lawson

I really like their current team though and it amazes me that despite blowing it in like 4 drafts that they still have one of the most exciting teams in the league. Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng are 3 must watch players.

smith&wesson
09-07-2014, 07:02 PM
they really blew it in the 2009 & 2010 draft class'

they selected rubio 5th when Curry was still available. Rubio took years to come and then got injured in his first season. then with the 6th pick they selected Flynn (another pg) when AGAIN Curry was still available as well as players like Derozan, Ty Lawson, and Jrue Holiday, were still available.

then in the 2010 draft they stunk it up again selecting Wes Johnson over guys like Paul George, Cousins, Bledsoe, Monroe, Bradley, Sanders

Then in 2011 they had the 2nd pick and selected Derick Williams over guys like Kawahi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Jonas Valanciounas, Alec Burks, Kemba Walker

They did ok in 2013 selecting Try Burk and trading him to Utah for Dieng.

But yeah, the Twolves front office has been stinking it up for a while. I personnally blame that moron David Khan. They guy didnt have a clue, and set the team back for years.

smith&wesson
09-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Um Minnesota really blew it when they took Rubio/Flynn over guys like Curry, Lawson, DeRozan and Brewer over guys like Noah. I did a redraft of their picks and got a team of

Noah/Pekovic
Love/Dieng
George/Leonard
DeRozan/Lavine
Curry/Lawson

I really like their current team though and it amazes me that despite blowing it in like 4 drafts that they still have one of the most exciting teams in the league. Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng are 3 must watch players.

They are lucky that Love did the classy thing and forwarned them that he is leaving enabling them to get something for him in return. . If love was a prick like Lebron or Bosh he would have just left in free agency leaving the team with nothing in return.

numba1CHANGsta
09-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Nobody wants to play in Minny its plain and simple

Bruno
09-07-2014, 08:37 PM
i don't think you can be the best front court in the NBA if you get crushed defensively; Jefferson and Love both need anchors to fill the holes in their games. they messed up in 2009, 2010, and 2011 sealed the deal.

if you're rebuilding and get 4-5 years of lottery, you need 50% of those picks to pan out to be average. you need 3/4 of them to pan out to become a championship contender. if you strike gold with 4/4 you've got something special (like OKC had before they totally blew it).

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2014, 09:10 PM

I don't think it's the "I don't want to play in Minny" thing, I think it's the "I've been in the lottery for eight years" things.

If they just want the championship last year, or made back-to-back trips to the finals, do you think Love would be requesting a trade?

No.

Nobody likes to lose. Especially for the better part of a decade.

BHF
09-08-2014, 12:44 AM

I am not a Minny fan but posts like this should be deleted, if this isn't trolling than i don't know what is.

JEDean89
09-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Seriously, it's not like Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee etc... are places that players love playing. OKC makes it work by winning. If they can resign Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka to their third contract they will have done something special though.

Crackadalic
09-08-2014, 02:00 AM
That 09 Draft set them back

WSU Tony
09-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Small market teams have to make every "right" decision if they want to compete. One misstep and the build is pointless. This is the way the NBA is currently set up. Funnel all the talent into 8-10 teams for TV ratings and the rest of the teams are farm teams. Sure, you'll get a Thunder from time to time who land a franchise player than draft a few more value players. The league will use those teams as an example of how any team "has a shot" in this league but in all honesty we know the truth.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive. Is it really that fun to watch a super team beat up on a farm team for 70% of their schedule?

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Minnesota has the worst front office in the NBA.
-never put anything around KG
-never put anything around love
-took Stephon instead of Ray Allen
-couldn't keep Marburry
-took Randy Foye over Brandon Roy
-took Rubio and a scrub over Curry and Derozan
-took Wesley Johnson ove Cousins
-Got caught doing under the table deal with Joe Smith
-took Derrick Williams over Klay Thompson and Kawai Leonard.(Not there fault but no room for era at this point)

Team could be Curry/Derozan/Leonard/Love/Cousins

Could of had KG and Ray allen in there prime together.

I cheer for them but they disgust me with the moves they have made over the years.

WSU Tony
09-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Minnesota has the worst front office in the NBA.
-never put anything around KG
-never put anything around love
-took Stephon instead of Ray Allen
-couldn't keep Marburry
-took Randy Foye over Brandon Roy
-took Rubio and a scrub over Curry and Derozan
-took Wesley Johnson ove Cousins
-Got caught doing under the table deal with Joe Smith
-took Derrick Williams over Klay Thompson and Kawai Leonard.(Not there fault but no room for era at this point)

Team could be Curry/Derozan/Leonard/Love/Cousins

Could of had KG and Ray allen in there prime together.

I cheer for them but they disgust me with the moves they have made over the years.

You can make one of these for every team in the NBA. You went back to 1996 for crying out loud. Perhaps part of the reason small market teams can't surround stars with talent involves how the league is set up instead of small market teams deciding not to add talent. Kirilinko didn't take a 12M player option a few years for the wolves ago but instead decided to play for 4 million for the Nets. How do you propose small market teams surround stars with talent when 3X market value contracts are turned down?

I'm not defending the Wolves' bad moves - they've made plenty. Eventually, though, you need to ask yourself if the NBA is set up to help the bad teams or hurt them. Right now it's set up to hurt them.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive.

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
You can make one of these for every team in the NBA. You went back to 1996 for crying out loud. Perhaps part of the reason small market teams can't surround stars with talent involves how the league is set up instead of small market teams deciding not to add talent. Kirilinko didn't take a 12M player option a few years for the wolves ago but instead decided to play for 4 million for the Nets. How do you propose small market teams surround stars with talent when 3X market value contracts are turned down?

I'm not defending the Wolves' bad moves - they've made plenty. Eventually, though, you need to ask yourself if the NBA is set up to help the bad teams or hurt them. Right now it's set up to hurt them.

A hard cap means nothing when players can sign contracts for 1/5 of their true value. If an arbitration process is implemented and players can't sign for less than 70% of their value the league will finally be competitive.

My point is that Wolves could of easily been the Thunder, or the Grizzlies, or the Blazers, or the Warriors, or the Raptors, but Minnesota passed on Cousins, passed on Paul George, passed on Bledsoe, passed on Brandon Roy, passed on Steph Curry, Passed on Klay Thompson. They have been in the lottery for the majority of there franchise and they have only hit on two draft picks. They suck at drafting. regardless of what you want to say about small market teams, I can't make a list that bad for OKC, Blazers, or even the Cavs. The Wolves absolutely suck at drafting and yes they are a small market team, but they are the worst small market team. Them and the Bucks. But most would say that the Bucks have had a horrible front office too.

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 02:35 PM
And as far as the question by the OP. MN pretty much blows it every year. At best, 1 out of every 4-5 years they don't blow it in the draft.

They could never or have never put together a few years in a row of good drafting like the Blazers, OKC, or Golden State has done recently. They have never done that in there entire 23+ year existence in the league and thats why they are in the lottery every year.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
My point is that Wolves could of easily been the Thunder, or the Grizzlies, or the Blazers, or the Warriors, or the Raptors, but Minnesota passed on Russell Westbrook, passed on Brandon Roy, passed on Steph Curry, Passed on Klay Thompson. They have been in the lottery for the majority of there franchise and they have only hit on two draft picks. They suck at drafting. regardless of what you want to say about small market teams, I can't make a list that bad for OKC, Blazers, or even the Cavs. The Wolves absolutely suck at drafting and yes they are a small market team, but they are the worst small market team. Them and the Bucks. But most would say that the Bucks have had a horrible front office too.

Actually the Bucks previous owner was a huge meddler. Wouldn't let our GM rebuild. Owner always made dumb trades just to weasel in 8th seed. Also Bucks had some bad luck. Redd getting max contract and then became injured through most of it. Bogut was injury prone as well. Also trading Ray Allen for washed up Gary Payton was horrible.

Also breaking up Sam Cassell,Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson was very bad. Also the lottery is pretty rigged. The one year we flat out decided to tank. Forgot which year. Think it was the year we were close to get Wade. Then we lost the lottery and moved down the farthest. We ended up with TJ Ford instead of Wade. Also can you imagine if DR J decided to play in the NBA instead of ABA.

Bucks did win the coin flip with Suns for Dr J draft rights. But then he decided to go to ABA draft. I believe Bucks back then got like $400,000 as compensation. Can you imagine DR J and Kareem on same team? Bucks probably would of changed the land scape completely.

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Actually the Bucks previous owner was a huge meddler. Wouldn't let our GM rebuild. Owner always made dumb trades just to weasel in 8th seed. Also Bucks had some bad luck. Redd getting max contract and then became injured through most of it. Bogut was injury prone as well. Also trading Ray Allen for washed up Gary Payton was horrible.

Also breaking up Sam Cassell,Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson was very bad. Also the lottery is pretty rigged. The one year we flat out decided to tank. Forgot which year. Think it was the year we were close to get Wade. Then we lost the lottery and moved down the farthest. We ended up with TJ Ford instead of Wade. Also can you imagine if DR J decided to play in the NBA instead of ABA.

Bucks did win the coin flip with Suns for Dr J draft rights. But then he decided to go to ABA draft. I believe Bucks back then got like $400,000 as compensation. Can you imagine DR J and Kareem on same team? Bucks probably would of changed the land scape completely.

This was funny to read because it reminded me so much of the T-wolves. So many years we had the worst or second west record but never got the opportunity to get the good player do to the lottery setup. The two worst of course were the Shaq, Zo year. I believe we had the worst record and of course we ended up getting the 3rd pick and got Laettner. Then of course there was the Big Dog/Grant Hill/Kidd draft where again I think we had the worst record but we got the 4th pick and got Donyell Marshall. And how can I forget the Webber/Hardaway/Mashburn draft where we had to take JR Rider, who sadly is probably the 3rd best Timberwolf in franchise history.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
you are pinpointing one single offseason on why Minnesota sucks? That is like pinpointing that Rosie O'Donnell is disgusting because she has tiny hands. The Wolves are a mess because of nearly every offseason in their existence.

WSU Tony
09-08-2014, 04:31 PM
My point is that Wolves could of easily been the Thunder, or the Grizzlies, or the Blazers, or the Warriors, or the Raptors, but Minnesota passed on Cousins, passed on Paul George, passed on Bledsoe, passed on Brandon Roy, passed on Steph Curry, Passed on Klay Thompson. They have been in the lottery for the majority of there franchise and they have only hit on two draft picks. They suck at drafting. regardless of what you want to say about small market teams, I can't make a list that bad for OKC, Blazers, or even the Cavs. The Wolves absolutely suck at drafting and yes they are a small market team, but they are the worst small market team. Them and the Bucks. But most would say that the Bucks have had a horrible front office too.

Paul George was picked #10 - nobody expected him to become as good as he has. He's a horrible example. Evan Turner was picked 2 spots before the Wolves drafted and is a bust.

Klay Thompson was drafted #11 overall but you advocate the right move (at the time) was the Wolves drafting him #2 overall? Williams was the clear #2 pick.

I'm not saying the Wolves are good at drafting. Far from it. But cherry picking players which the Wolves missed in drafts doesn't show or prove anything. There were 9 teams which didn't draft Paul George. There were 10 teams which didn't draft Klay Thompson.

And as far as the question by the OP. MN pretty much blows it every year. At best, 1 out of every 4-5 years they don't blow it in the draft.

They could never or have never put together a few years in a row of good drafting like the Blazers, OKC, or Golden State has done recently. They have never done that in there entire 23+ year existence in the league and thats why they are in the lottery every year.

I agree.

This was funny to read because it reminded me so much of the T-wolves. So many years we had the worst or second west record but never got the opportunity to get the good player do to the lottery setup. The two worst of course were the Shaq, Zo year. I believe we had the worst record and of course we ended up getting the 3rd pick and got Laettner. Then of course there was the Big Dog/Grant Hill/Kidd draft where again I think we had the worst record but we got the 4th pick and got Donyell Marshall. And how can I forget the Webber/Hardaway/Mashburn draft where we had to take JR Rider, who sadly is probably the 3rd best Timberwolf in franchise history.

The thing about the Timberwolves in the draft. They're always in the 3-5 range. This team has never (not once) moved up in the draft past where their record "should" put them. The thing about the 3-5 range of picks is the supreme talents are off the board already. This area is the value area of the draft. It's pretty much pre-determined who the Wolves pick based on the teams in front of them. Almost every year there wasn't really a question of who they should pick.

The only time I ever remember PSD for giving the Wolves hell after a draft was the Rubio/Flynn draft. The heat came ONLY because they played the same position.

I don't think the Wolves have a drafting issue. I think the Wolves have a development issue.

Hawkeye15
09-08-2014, 04:35 PM
The thing about the Timberwolves in the draft. They're always in the 3-5 range. This team has never (not once) moved up in the draft past where their record "should" put them. The thing about the 3-5 range of picks is the supreme talents are off the board already. This area is the value area of the draft. It's pretty much pre-determined who the Wolves pick based on the teams in front of them. Almost every year there wasn't really a question of who they should pick.

The only time I ever remember PSD for giving the Wolves hell after a draft was the Rubio/Flynn draft. The heat came ONLY because they played the same position.

I don't think the Wolves have a drafting issue. I think the Wolves have a development issue.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

we just suck at evaluating talent dude, despite some of your post being valid. Glen Taylor simply hires bad talent evaluators.

IKnowHoops
09-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Paul George was picked #10 - nobody expected him to become as good as he has. He's a horrible example. Evan Turner was picked 2 spots before the Wolves drafted and is a bust.

Klay Thompson was drafted #11 overall but you advocate the right move (at the time) was the Wolves drafting him #2 overall? Williams was the clear #2 pick.

I'm not saying the Wolves are good at drafting. Far from it. But cherry picking players which the Wolves missed in drafts doesn't show or prove anything. There were 9 teams which didn't draft Paul George. There were 10 teams which didn't draft Klay Thompson.

I agree.

Taking Foye over Roy was awful. Taking Marburry over Ray was not good. Those were bad decisions. Those were not pre-determined.

Crackadalic
09-09-2014, 01:22 AM
you are pinpointing one single offseason on why Minnesota sucks? That is like pinpointing that Rosie O'Donnell is disgusting because she has tiny hands. The Wolves are a mess because of nearly every offseason in their existence.

I wouldn't say pinpointing one particular season as they flop most of it but 09 stands out because they missed out on some real all stars that could have really help them.

You replace Rubio with Curry and you guys are a top 4 seed every single year

arlubas
09-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Taking Foye over Roy was awful. Taking Marburry over Ray was not good. Those were bad decisions. Those were not pre-determined.
The Foye over Roy was indeed a reach because Randy wasn't even a starter in college (but was somehow pegged as the next Wade from scouts, SMH). Marbury over Ray however was not a bad call. Yes you certainly can make that assumption in hindsight but at the time Marbury was a major baller whom any team would want really, plus they never could've known he would want out after such a short stint.

In general though the draft is a pretty sneaky process because yeah we may all laugh right now at their 2011 pick (Derrick Williams) but back then it was a no brainer you would pick him with the 2nd pick with the season he had in Arizona. Plus there's no way you can predict that a guy as rough as Paul George would have such a great work ethic that would propel him from a future project into an all-star in just three years. Of course there are decisions in Minny's history that were bad both then and in hindsight, like the Wesley Johnson or the Johnny Flynn one. What the hell were they thinking...

WSU Tony
09-09-2014, 09:49 AM
http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

we just suck at evaluating talent dude, despite some of your post being valid. Glen Taylor simply hires bad talent evaluators.

Our picks are always the best available. Compare our picks to other NBA scouts or the pre-draft rankings and we always pick the "right" guy. I've always hated the mentality that a 19/20 year old has a pre-determined NBA career. These kids are 19/20 - development is what carries them into a long NBA career, not the talent that has allowed them to be the best player on the court up until then.

Everyone talks about drafting like it's predetermined prior to that draft how well a player will play. I've always been a nurture kind of guy myself. Hell, why even have practice if nature is the sole factor in how a player will play 5 years from now.

I'm not defending the Wolves. Far from it. When you're constantly drafting the "right" guy then Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams turn into absolutely nothing.... you have to wonder where you went wrong. Handing these guys off at 25 after they've busted for another team to "teach them the basics" isn't going to help them develop at that point.

Hawkeye15
09-09-2014, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't say pinpointing one particular season as they flop most of it but 09 stands out because they missed out on some real all stars that could have really help them.

You replace Rubio with Curry and you guys are a top 4 seed every single year

that would have been a big year, with 2 high picks, for sure. They could have gotten Rubio AND Curry dude.

Yeah....

IKnowHoops
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Our picks are always the best available. Compare our picks to other NBA scouts or the pre-draft rankings and we always pick the "right" guy. I've always hated the mentality that a 19/20 year old has a pre-determined NBA career. These kids are 19/20 - development is what carries them into a long NBA career, not the talent that has allowed them to be the best player on the court up until then.

Everyone talks about drafting like it's predetermined prior to that draft how well a player will play. I've always been a nurture kind of guy myself. Hell, why even have practice if nature is the sole factor in how a player will play 5 years from now.

I'm not defending the Wolves. Far from it. When you're constantly drafting the "right" guy then Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams turn into absolutely nothing.... you have to wonder where you went wrong. Handing these guys off at 25 after they've busted for another team to "teach them the basics" isn't going to help them develop at that point.

Wesley was not the "right" guy. I remember begging them to take Cousins at the time. And again OKC drafted Harden and westbrook instead of the "right" guy because Tyreke Evans was rated ahead of Harden, and Eric Gordon and Kevin Love were rated ahead of Russell Westbrook, but that didn't stop them from conducting there own research and coming to the conclusion that these guys were better. Thats the problem with the Wolves, they dont have a clue other than to go with who everyone is telling them.

WSU Tony
09-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Wesley was not the "right" guy. I remember begging them to take Cousins at the time. And again OKC drafted Harden and westbrook instead of the "right" guy because Tyreke Evans was rated ahead of Harden, and Eric Gordon and Kevin Love were rated ahead of Russell Westbrook, but that didn't stop them from conducting there own research and coming to the conclusion that these guys were better. Thats the problem with the Wolves, they dont have a clue other than to go with who everyone is telling them.

You're advocating taking players who aren't widely considered the best available in the top 3-4 spot?

I think you're cherry picking examples of teams which didn't take the best available and got it right. With this strategy there are more misses than hits. I think YOUR opinion changes based on how the players turn out. Either you're right about every draft assessment or you look back and change your opinion. I'm going with the latter.

valade16
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Did Minnesota blow it? They just traded their franchise cornerstone, superstar player for a rookie.

You tell me?

Hawkeye15
09-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Did Minnesota blow it? They just traded their franchise cornerstone, superstar player for a rookie.

You tell me?

for the 2nd time we shipped off our superstar for young players. We have been blowing that pole for over 2 decades now.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Hard for me to feel sorry for them. I recall Wolves fans debating me up and down about Khans "master plan" when it was obvious he didn't have the slightest notion what he was doing.

Misfortune is one thing, but flat out incompetence? Nah, that's just your bad.

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 03:56 PM
You're advocating taking players who aren't widely considered the best available in the top 3-4 spot?

I think you're cherry picking examples of teams which didn't take the best available and got it right. With this strategy there are more misses than hits. I think YOUR opinion changes based on how the players turn out. Either you're right about every draft assessment or you look back and change your opinion. I'm going with the latter.

Take it how you want. The proof is in the pudding though. MN has drafted awfully, while teams in there same position OKC, Portland, Golden State, etc have drafted better. Ive cringed to many times at wolves picks. You must be much newer to the situation than myself to not know they are bad at drafting. Talk to me in ten years.

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 03:58 PM

And if you think taking Cousins over Wesley Johnson is advocating taking lesser players, then I have to question your ability to grade and judge talent. There is no doubt in my mind, I would of done a better job than the T-wolves front office at drafting...and that is without the luxury of hindsight.

IBleedPurple
09-10-2014, 04:11 PM
that would have been a big year, with 2 high picks, for sure. They could have gotten Rubio AND Curry dude.

Yeah....

Many forget the Wolves also drafted Lawson in the 1st, then traded him. Really a chance to setup a bright future at the time.

2-ONE-5
09-10-2014, 04:27 PM

KG spent how long there? cassell and Spree came to join him too.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Many forget the Wolves also drafted Lawson in the 1st, then traded him. Really a chance to setup a bright future at the time.

or Kahn's draft where he had 4 first round picks and had to have a fire sale to remedy his first bad decision of hiring Rambis.

IKnowHoops
09-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Ah yes, forgot about another horrible move. This is the T-wolves M.O. If you have been around since the inception of the franchise, you know that they have made more bad moves than probably any other franchise.