PDA

View Full Version : Should Robert Horry be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

lamzoka
09-05-2014, 03:54 PM
The guy just hangs out the entire regular season. He probably gets DNP-CD half of the season. But he's always ready when it matters. if it wasn't for him Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan all might be at least one ring short.

If you're a new NBA fan or you're just young enough that you don't remember what Horry did. Remember what Ray Allen did in that game 6 in last year's finals to forced a game 7? That was Horry's career.

jaydubb
09-05-2014, 03:59 PM
No

Hotone1401
09-05-2014, 04:02 PM
I disagree. Robert Horry was one of my favorite players growing up and a huge piece during the Rocket's back to back title run. He was always one of the smartest players on the floor, always in the right position, and played great defense in his younger days.

I'm sure many of you in this current generation only remember the Horry during his later stage but let's not try to discredit the guy. He's won many of the titles he has for a reason. He was always the ultimate teammate and a key piece to all of those championships.

If I had a vote I would personally vote him in but I would also understand for those that wouldn't, although all of the reasons you listed have nothing to do with it.

ewing
09-05-2014, 04:23 PM
the last time. NO

ewing
09-05-2014, 04:24 PM
I disagree. Robert Horry was one of my favorite players growing up and a huge piece during the Rocket's back to back title run. He was always one of the smartest players on the floor, always in the right position, and played great defense in his younger days.

I'm sure many of you in this current generation only remember the Horry during his later stage but let's not try to discredit the guy. He's won many of the titles he has for a reason. He was always the ultimate teammate and a key piece to all of those championships.

If I had a vote I would personally vote him in but I would also understand for those that wouldn't, although all of the reasons you listed have nothing to do with it.

i remember Horry on the Rocket. He was an underachiever with a terrible motor.

Phantom Dreamer
09-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Come on, Horry's not a Hall of Famer.

Chronz
09-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Yes. Role players with a huge x-factor edge to them are some of my faves. He was a big advantage for his teams because he was the prototypical role player, a stretch-4 in an era that didn't know too much about them, teams were able to get spacing out of a 6"10 guy who could still defend at a high level so long as it wasn't in the post. He had some huge games for the Spurs that I didn't think he had in him anymore, not after how depleted he looked with LA. Just gos to show how a reduced burden can sometimes revive careers.

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 04:41 PM
That's setting the standards a bit too low. He was clutch but I think a select few should be inducted - not just anyone.

ThuglifeJ
09-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Yes. The clutchest player ever should indeed be in for that reason.

Cal827
09-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes. The clutchest player ever should indeed be in for that reason.

Don't let the Laker trolls see that!

jericho
09-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes

KnicksorBust
09-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Definitely. Ringzzzzz

Hotone1401
09-05-2014, 08:00 PM
i remember Horry on the Rocket. He was an underachiever with a terrible motor.

How can someone who makes significant contributions to a championship team be an underachiever??? :/

Cal827
09-05-2014, 08:13 PM
How can someone who makes significant contributions to a championship team be an underachiever??? :/

Kobe Bryant Game 7 2010

I'll see myself out :D

SLY WILLIAMS
09-05-2014, 08:17 PM
HOF of Alabama? Or the NBA?

Well the answer is the same. NO. Not even close and I rooted for the guy often.

I could name at least 15 guys for sure more deserving very fast...maybe 50. :)

D-Leethal
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Nah but I do admire what he brought to the table and the way he always found a way to be in the right spot at the right time. Crazy how many legacies would be different if he didn't exist. We would view those Pistons teams a lot differently if he doesn't hit that shot in game 5 for the Spurs and they went on to repeat in 2005. Same goes for CWebb and those Kings teams.

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Absolutely.

I always look to the fact that this is the HOF and they let HIGHSCHOOL coaches in here... and Euro guys that never even stepped FOOT in the NBA.

Robert Horry had a very special career. He has 7 rings, and as a role player, there simply is no player who managed to fill that role as consistently and as exceptionally as Robert Horry. He helped Hakeem win. He helped Shaq and Kobe Win. Hell, he even helped Duncan win (that was Detroit series if it wasn't for Horry's shot).

Those guys ALL have higher ring counts BECAUSE they played with Horry.

He was exceptional at what he did. Was he as good as most All-Stars? No, but neither are highschool coaches as good as NBA and college coaches, but they still make it in.

If you look at the role he played, you have to admit that he was more successful at that role than any other player who took on that kind of role.

HOF for me, and I think if you ask his teammates who he helped win, they would quickly agree (with the exception of the egomaniacs who think they did it all themselves: Kobe + Shaq).

ewing
09-05-2014, 09:28 PM

you take a very good basketball player that doesn't play up to his potential and put him on a championship level team

MTar786
09-05-2014, 09:29 PM
yes

Shlumpledink
09-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Role players don't get enough love in the nba. There are teams that need something to win, even though they have players that are hall of fame caliber, and they lack it so they don't win (hakeem olajuwon is a prime example).

Guys like Horry, who provide team defense, shooting at the 4, smart passing and overall smart play complement the games of almost any star player.

Early on in his career he had the makings of a really good player, injuries lowered his athleticism which dropped his numbers. He was always a cerebral player though, and I think that is why injuries didn't derail his career. He was able to come up big in a lot of big games. Championships are won by role players, and a lot of people don't give them enough credit.

ManRam
09-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm a "no". But I get the "yes" crowd's viewpoint. I just don't share it. He filled his role just about as great as anyone could, but that role still was beneath what the HOF should honor. That is all.

ewing
09-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Role players don't get enough love in the nba. There are teams that need something to win, even though they have players that are hall of fame caliber, and they lack it so they don't win (hakeem olajuwon is a prime example).

Guys like Horry, who provide team defense, shooting at the 4, smart passing and overall smart play complement the games of almost any star player.

Early on in his career he had the makings of a really good player, injuries lowered his athleticism which dropped his numbers. He was always a cerebral player though, and I think that is why injuries didn't derail his career. He was able to come up big in a lot of big games. Championships are won by role players, and a lot of people don't give them enough credit.

first off all we are talking about the HOF for a guy that avenge 7 points a game for his career- how much more love do you think he should get. secondly, I don't Horry ever had any major injuries and

Lionel20
09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Absolutely.. not

for just 7,700 pts.. I would need to see some statistical category he was at least top 50 @

Lionel20
09-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I think rings are important.. But a players overall share in contribution to wins/championships per 48 minutes day in and day out reg and postseason weigh heavier to me.

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Absolutely.. not

for just 7,700 pts.. I would need to see some statistical category he was at least top 50 @

If Jordan won one ring for ever 1100 points, he'd have more rings than Russell!

Horry's ring-per-point count is the best in league history!

Hotone1401
09-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Kobe Bryant Game 7 2010

I'll see myself out :D

I don't get it.

Are you suggesting Kobe's an underachiever as well?

Lionel20
09-05-2014, 11:13 PM
If Jordan won one ring for ever 1100 points, he'd have more rings than Russell!

Horry's ring-per-point count is the best in league history!

What does that even mean? If that's the criteria, I guess Norris Cole should be enshrined. I'm sure his ring per point is high..

mightybosstone
09-05-2014, 11:18 PM
No. I agree that guys like Horry deserve some credit for their contributions to the game, but the man already has seven championships. And honestly, you know what separates Horry from any other really good role player in NBA history with zero championships? He played on much better teams than they did. And that's coming from a fan who loved Horry growing up and still loves the guy to this day. The Hall should be reserved for all-time greats. Horry was a really solid role player, and if he deserves to make the Hall, then so do hundreds of other mediocre players in NBA history.

numba1CHANGsta
09-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Is Kerr in the HOF? if not, then Horry shouldn't be in it too

mightybosstone
09-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Absolutely.

I always look to the fact that this is the HOF and they let HIGHSCHOOL coaches in here... and Euro guys that never even stepped FOOT in the NBA.

Robert Horry had a very special career. He has 7 rings, and as a role player, there simply is no player who managed to fill that role as consistently and as exceptionally as Robert Horry. He helped Hakeem win. He helped Shaq and Kobe Win. Hell, he even helped Duncan win (that was Detroit series if it wasn't for Horry's shot).

Those guys ALL have higher ring counts BECAUSE they played with Horry.

He was exceptional at what he did. Was he as good as most All-Stars? No, but neither are highschool coaches as good as NBA and college coaches, but they still make it in.

If you look at the role he played, you have to admit that he was more successful at that role than any other player who took on that kind of role.

HOF for me, and I think if you ask his teammates who he helped win, they would quickly agree (with the exception of the egomaniacs who think they did it all themselves: Kobe + Shaq).

This post totally misses the point of the Hall of Fame. Yes, there are high school coaches and European players who are in the Hall of Fame. But it's not about the level of basketball where they were exceptional, it's about how exceptional they were at that level. If you look at the players in the Hall of Fame, you have to ask yourself "Was this person considered elite at that level of basketball?"

I'm sorry, but Horry was not. He was a very good collegiate player who became a pretty good NBA player and was lucky enough to play with some all-time greats in his career. Also, your take that he helped guys like Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan win titles is pretty ludicrous. Did he hit a big shot from time to time? Certainly. But there are hundreds of players in league history that could have feasibly hit those shots. Horry was just lucky enough to be in the position to take them, and he made more than the average player in a relatively small sample size.

I loved Robert Horry and I have fond memories of him as a player, but if he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, there are probably 50-100 guys playing in the league right now that deserve to be in the Hall as well.

lamzoka
09-05-2014, 11:55 PM
There are no set criteria for being hall of famer. So judging if Horry is a hall of famer or not, you have to look beyond stats.

The guy was good at everything. He did whatever needed of him from his team win. Horry was every opponent's nightmare when it comes to crunch time.

He wasn't one of those role players that just got their rings handed to them by their star player, he actually won rings for star players.

16 NBA seasons 7 Rings. Every single of those teams needed Horry to win.

The guy is a Hall of Famer in my book.

AIRMAR72
09-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Robert (big shot) Horry IS a future HOF

Shady66
09-06-2014, 12:05 AM
No. Other than the rings and the big shots his career is no where close to hof

Crackadalic
09-06-2014, 01:24 AM
Yes because according to PSD having rings is more important then individual game. Next I nominate Adam Morrison for his contribution to the Lakers for helping them bring there last two rings.

Phantom Dreamer
09-06-2014, 01:30 AM
There are no set criteria for being hall of famer. So judging if Horry is a hall of famer or not, you have to look beyond stats.

The guy was good at everything. He did whatever needed of him from his team win. Horry was every opponent's nightmare when it comes to crunch time.

He wasn't one of those role players that just got their rings handed to them by their star player, he actually won rings for star players.

The guy is a Hall of Famer in my book.Your book? Who's your publisher? Horry's not a Hall of Famer.

Cohiba
09-06-2014, 02:21 AM
I think about Horry and the great moments he's made...but it's just that, moments, albeit on the biggest stage. The man was clutch, but his overall body of work is not HOF worthy.

Not to open another can of worms here...but his most famous shot, vs the Kings, you know the one, he and the Lakers shouldn't have even been in the situation that the shot was even to be made period, and we all know why and what happened, but whatever...

He's a little bit "right place, right time", not as much as say John Salley is IMO, but he played on pretty top level teams usually and just happened to choose his moment to shine be when everyone was watching.

Redrum187
09-06-2014, 03:15 AM
Yes. Role players with a huge x-factor edge to them are some of my faves. He was a big advantage for his teams because he was the prototypical role player, a stretch-4 in an era that didn't know too much about them, teams were able to get spacing out of a 6"10 guy who could still defend at a high level so long as it wasn't in the post. He had some huge games for the Spurs that I didn't think he had in him anymore, not after how depleted he looked with LA. Just gos to show how a reduced burden can sometimes revive careers.

The trouble is, how does one measure/guage "the X-factor"? Is it relative?

85BearsDefense
09-06-2014, 03:25 AM
What a joke. People saying yes should be sent to prison. There should be a PSD Prison, every time you say something stupid you get sent there hell I might get sent there for posting this but it would be worth it.

SanPitte
09-06-2014, 04:45 AM
If Horry is inducted, then Derek Fisher and those kind of players should be as well, so i'd say NO

mightybosstone
09-06-2014, 07:13 AM

The guy is a Hall of Famer in my book.

I'm sorry, but this is total ********. Being good at a lot of things does not qualify you to make the Hall of Fame. If that were the case, then half the league should make the Hall. In 16 years in the league, Horry never made a single All-Star team, All-NBA game or All-Defensive team. And he was never top 10 in any relevant NBA statistic. In 16 years.

As for those teams "needing" Horry to win, that's completely preposterous. You could put a lot of role players in his place that could have been every bit as productive and important to those teams, like Shane Battier for example. He needed those teams to win rings far more than they needed him, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. You're focusing on what Horry did in the final seconds of games with a single shot. But what about the first 47+ minutes of those games and 82-game regular season where the elite players of those teams had to carry Horry so that he could make those big shots?

Horry is essentially that era's version of guys like Ray Allen, Shawn Marion and Mike Miller. Guys who moved from contender to contender later in their careers as role players in an attempt to win titles. The only difference is those guys were All-Star caliber No. 1s, 2s or 3s in their primes. Horry never was.

JasonJohnHorn
09-06-2014, 08:54 AM
What does that even mean? If that's the criteria, I guess Norris Cole should be enshrined. I'm sure his ring per point is high..

Dude... I was joking... lol

JasonJohnHorn
09-06-2014, 08:58 AM
This post totally misses the point of the Hall of Fame. Yes, there are high school coaches and European players who are in the Hall of Fame. But it's not about the level of basketball where they were exceptional, it's about how exceptional they were at that level. If you look at the players in the Hall of Fame, you have to ask yourself "Was this person considered elite at that level of basketball?"

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. The level at which Horry played, he excelled at, just as the highschool coaches are within there's.

Was Horry considered elite in his role? Yes. There was never a role player who accomplished as much as Horry.

and bottom line, Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem and Duncan all have MORE rings than they would have without him, and there are NBA players in the HOF who aren't as good as Horry, so....

mightybosstone
09-06-2014, 11:28 AM
That is EXACTLY what I am saying. The level at which Horry played, he excelled at, just as the highschool coaches are within there's.
No sir. I just looked it up, and I believe I counted four high school coaches in the history of basketball that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, and those coaches did extraordinary things. Horry is not remotely one of the four greatest players in the history of the NBA or the NCAA, and there's no reason to suggest otherwise.

Was Horry considered elite in his role? Yes. There was never a role player who accomplished as much as Horry.
Okay, so are we going to let pretty much any role player who won multiple titles into the NBA? Are Fisher and Battier locks to make it? Should Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambis, AC Green, Danny Ainge, Scott Weldman, Cedric Maxwell, ML Carr, B.J. Armstrong, Horace Grant, John Paxson and Bill Cartwright all be in the Hall of Fame? Hell, some of the guys I just mentioned were absolutely superior players to Horry. Cooper was a DPOY who won five titles and Maxwell won a Finals MVP. I don't see them in the Hall of Fame.

If you let one role player into the Hall, you're setting a precedent that can't be fixed, and then you've got to go back and let all the great role players of the world in. And the Basketball Hall of Fame is already far, far too lenient about which players get in.

and bottom line, Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem and Duncan all have MORE rings than they would have without him, and there are NBA players in the HOF who aren't as good as Horry, so....
That's such an asinine statement. With the exception of maybe the 94 Rockets, Horry was probably no better than the fourth or fifth best player on any of those championship teams. BUT if you take away a championship team's fourth or fifth best player, they're naturally not going to be as good. That being said, pretty much any slightly above average SF who could play defense and hit threes could be inserted into that role and those teams would be every bit as successful.

Cal827
09-06-2014, 11:39 AM
What a joke. People saying yes should be sent to prison. There should be a PSD Prison, every time you say something stupid you get sent there hell I might get sent there for posting this but it would be worth it.

It's called "The Village" :D

Cal827
09-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't get it.

Are you suggesting Kobe's an underachiever as well?

Not really, just busting balls on your previous post.

A lot of people here keep referring to Kobe's 6/24 game 7 vs the Celtics in the 2010 NBA finals and talk about how he choked quite a bit and how Gasol/Artest bailed the team out in that series.

There are also a good portion who ignore that and focus on what the people who are focusing on the other things he did in that game (I think he got like 15 rebounds, a few assists and steals, and defense of Ray Allen)

So taking both views into consideration: Kobe "Underachieved" (based on the shooting), but did provide significant contribution to the team's victory.

If we are talking about guys who basically messed their teams chances, we should be looking at John Starks fabulous performance against Houston in game 7 in 94 :laugh2:

mightybosstone
09-06-2014, 11:46 AM

We should put the PSD prison in LA. That would make it convenient for the quality of posts from Lakers fans.

Bruno
09-06-2014, 07:20 PM
no voters, the hall does not hold the same level of standards that you do.

book him, eventually.

akagiredsuns
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Once again the concept of this thread is not being fully grasped. Robert horry deserves to be in the Hall of Fame are you serious? Have people forgotten the game 4 buzzer beater against the kings that would have the Lakers down 3 to 1 had Horry not made it? He helped some of these championship teams get over the top and to say otherwise it's pathetic and shows how clueless some people truly are about him in that era. Lol smh

ThuglifeJ
09-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Dude took over that game vs pistons though basically saving Spurs AND Lakers championships.. He also hit a clutch shot during hakeems championship..

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM

yeah, and that reason is because he is a ring chaser. he would just sign with the best team that gave him a chance to win.

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
should jason kapono be inducted in to the hof because he hit some big shots and helped miami win a ship with wade and shaq ? the answer is no.

Horry was a good shooter. bounced around from contender to contender... yes he hit some big shots, most shooters do, but he was never the focus of the defending teams D, he was always a guy that got open shots due to the best players on his teams getting doubled more often than not.

If robert horry played for a bunch of lottery teams, you wouldnt even be asking this question.

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2014, 02:07 PM
No sir. I just looked it up, and I believe I counted four high school coaches in the history of basketball that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, and those coaches did extraordinary things. Horry is not remotely one of the four greatest players in the history of the NBA or the NCAA, and there's no reason to suggest otherwise.

No... but I'm not arguing that Horry is the greatest NBA player, I'm viewing him as one of the greatest role players.

Okay, so are we going to let pretty much any role player who won multiple titles into the NBA? Are Fisher and Battier locks to make it? Should Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambis, AC Green, Danny Ainge, Scott Weldman, Cedric Maxwell, ML Carr, B.J. Armstrong, Horace Grant, John Paxson and Bill Cartwright all be in the Hall of Fame? Hell, some of the guys I just mentioned were absolutely superior players to Horry. Cooper was a DPOY who won five titles and Maxwell won a Finals MVP. I don't see them in the Hall of Fame.

Fisher: Yes. I'd put him in there. He has had an exceptionally long career, won 5 rings, hit big shots, and has been huge for the players union.
Battier: Yes. Aside from a respectable NBA career, he had a great college career as well.
Toni Kukoc: Yes. Great Euro career before coming over.
Michael Cooper: Yes. Elite defender, key part of the Lakers dynasty.

After that you go on guy who one 2 or 3 rings which is not even HALF of what Horry won. I'm looking at career accomplishments. If you are going to compare guys who never hit a game-winning shot, let alone multiple game/series/championship winning shots like Horry, and they have LESS THAN HALF the rings... I think you realize how unfair the comparison is.

How many of those guys on that list his as many championship winning shots and game winning shots, and how many, save Fisher, have even HALF as many rings as Horry? NONE.

If you let one role player into the Hall, you're setting a precedent that can't be fixed, and then you've got to go back and let all the great role players of the world in. And the Basketball Hall of Fame is already far, far too lenient about which players get in.

There are already plenty in there. There are players worse than Horry in the HOF already. And what about coaches who weren't even good enough to get into the NBA? Doesn't that set a bad precedent? Guys weren't even good enough to coach college. Why are we letting them in?

[QOUTE]That's such an asinine statement. With the exception of maybe the 94 Rockets, Horry was probably no better than the fourth or fifth best player on any of those championship teams. BUT if you take away a championship team's fourth or fifth best player, they're naturally not going to be as good. That being said, pretty much any slightly above average SF who could play defense and hit threes could be inserted into that role and those teams would be every bit as successful.[/QUOTE]

That is a hypothetical, and you can't prove it. Bottom line, I'm looking at what HE DID DO, not what somebody else MAY HAVE DONE. Getting into the HOF has a lot to do with luck and what you do with that luck. Would a better forward been as clutch? Even if he had better averages?

you are ignoring what Horry did.

He accomplished a lot in his role, far more than ANY other role player, as evidenced by the examples you gave. You listed some of the best role players, some of whom I would put in the HOF and NONE of them hit as many game winner and NONE of them have as many rings.

So... you said those highschool coaches were top four all time and accomplished amazing things. Has Horry not also accomplished amazing things and done more than ANY other role player in terms of winning games and hitting big shots? Would that not place him among the very best role players of all time, top for certanly if not the best ever, or at least most accomplished ever?

You are suggesting an inferior coach that wasn't even good enough for the NBA should be considered in his own context, why wouldn't you do the same for Horry?

ewing
09-07-2014, 02:38 PM
everyone gets a trophy?

Chronz
09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
yeah, and that reason is because he is a ring chaser. he would just sign with the best team that gave him a chance to win.

The goal is to win, Horry is quite possibly the greatest ring chaser of all-time.

Chronz
09-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Dude took over that game vs pistons though basically saving Spurs AND Lakers championships.. He also hit a clutch shot during hakeems championship..

That entire playoff run was underrated. Dude was efficient as ****

JasonJohnHorn
09-08-2014, 06:33 AM
You know what's really crazy, is that he almost won an 8th ring. He was trying to get on the Boston roster in 2008, bu the team opted not to sign him for some reason.

ChiSox219
09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
A couple things on Horry:

He ranks 25th all-time in playoff winshares (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_career_p.html) with 18.23, every player with at least 15 winshares is in or will be in the HOF. Like Chronz said, the name of the game is winning and Horry played important roles on many many great teams.

While always compared to low volume role players like Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, and Jason Kapono (WTF?), during the 1995 NBA Finals, Horry dropped 17.8 PPG, 10 RPG, 3.8 APG, 3.0 SPG, and 2.3 BPG.

Someone mentioned his Game 5 performance in the 2005 Finals, this is a game everyone needs to watch because it's among the greatest playoff performances ever and it came in pivotal game with the series tied 2-2. Horry scored 21 points in the final 17+ minutes including the game winner in OT.

Horry is the type of player that will never get his due from fans because most of what he did is so subtle that few really know how valuable his skill set was. I think you have to view Horry in a more abstract light to understand he's as valuable as a iso monster like Carmelo, their impacts on winning are similar but look very different.

ManningToTyree
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
The Basketball HOF already sets the bar pretty low, but I wouldn't put Horry in. Role players are not all-time greats and that what the HOF should consist of.

Heatcheck
09-11-2014, 12:56 PM
no. being a role player on a championship team doesn't make you a hall of famer.
and many of those "clutch" shots he made for the lakers were wide open threes because you have the best offensive low post and arguably the best offensive perimeter player on the same team.
decent 3pt shooter, mediocre at EVERYTHING else.

Byronicle
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
This is tough. He is arguably the best ROLE player that has ever played the game and his readiness to step up when it matters most has helped win championships.

Does a player who puts up great stats, wins games but never wins championships (therefore at the end of the day is not a winner) should be considered in the HOF? Of course.

So why doesn't the same be said to Robert Horry? We do measure success by championships after all, and it's not like Robert Horry only contributed to bench warming, no he was in the grind when it mattered most.

And with that said, I'm going to have to say yes.

Byronicle
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
should jason kapono be inducted in to the hof because he hit some big shots and helped miami win a ship with wade and shaq ? the answer is no.

Horry was a good shooter. bounced around from contender to contender... yes he hit some big shots, most shooters do, but he was never the focus of the defending teams D, he was always a guy that got open shots due to the best players on his teams getting doubled more often than not.

If robert horry played for a bunch of lottery teams, you wouldnt even be asking this question.

You are comparing Kapono who won 1 championship to a guy who has won 7

Kapono didn't get put into the game when it was crunch time either. Horry was a finisher, a game winner.

If high volume scorers who don't win championships such as Dominique Wilkins gets into the HOF, why can't championship winners who step up when at the end of the day, really matters?

THE MTL
09-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Hell no. I hate how ppl are OVERRATING rings now. First and foremost to get into the HOF you should be a superstar NBA player with multiple allstar appearances.

ManningToTyree
09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Hell no. I hate how ppl are OVERRATING rings now. First and foremost to get into the HOF you should be a superstar NBA player with multiple allstar appearances. or at least a very good player with an impressive college/international resume because it isn't just the NBA HOF. Horry just doesn't have enough

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 05:45 PM
No... but I'm not arguing that Horry is the greatest NBA player, I'm viewing him as one of the greatest role players.
There have been far, far better role players in NBA history that are not and should not be in the Hall of Fame. You're letting rings sway your decision while totally forgetting that championships are a team accomplishment and one that Horry (as the fourth or fifth best guy) was a very, very small part of.

Fisher: Yes. I'd put him in there. He has had an exceptionally long career, won 5 rings, hit big shots, and has been huge for the players union.
Fisher can still add to his resume as a coach, but as a player there's no way he deserves to make the Hall of Fame. He was a career 12/4 guy whose career advanced numbers are below average across the board. You'd have to be insane to induct him in based on his achievements as a player.

Battier: Yes. Aside from a respectable NBA career, he had a great college career as well.
Toni Kukoc: Yes. Great Euro career before coming over.
Michael Cooper: Yes. Elite defender, key part of the Lakers dynasty.
Battier and Kukoc make a strong case because of what they accomplished in college and internationally, respectively. But if we were basing it off of solely what they achieved in the NBA, they are remotely Hall of Fame worthy. Cooper has probably the best case of anyone in this discussion and even he didn't get in. If Cooper doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame based on his NBA performance, than Robert Horry certainly doesn't.

After that you go on guy who one 2 or 3 rings which is not even HALF of what Horry won. I'm looking at career accomplishments. If you are going to compare guys who never hit a game-winning shot, let alone multiple game/series/championship winning shots like Horry, and they have LESS THAN HALF the rings... I think you realize how unfair the comparison is.
Except you're looking solely at one barometer: championships. If you look at their actual performance and production on the floor, some of the other guys I mentioned were far, far better players than Horry. Look at Cartwright's early seasons with the Knicks. He was a freakishly efficient 20/8 guy who actually played in an All-Star game. Couple that with the three titles in Chicago and he's got just as strong a case as Horry.

Horace Grant made an All-Star team and four All-Defensive teams in an era where that wasn't easy to do. Not only was he a defensive beast and a very efficient 14/10 guy at his peak, but he was instrumental in the Bulls first three titles in the 90s and had a pretty big role on that 2001 Lakers title team. His resume is far superior to Horry's and he definitely does not belong in the Hall.

And Maxwell may never have played in an All-Star game, but he certainly put up All-Star caliber numbers from 79-81 and he was a freaking Finals MVP in 81. He also has arguably a better resume than Horry, and he doesn't belong in the Hall either.

How many of those guys on that list his as many championship winning shots and game winning shots, and how many, save Fisher, have even HALF as many rings as Horry? NONE.
How many postseason game winning shots did Horry actually make in his career? Maybe a handful? And does a handful of jumpers made at key moments trump a player whose resume is 100% better otherwise? I don't think it does, and I don't know how you can justify that.

There are already plenty in there. There are players worse than Horry in the HOF already. And what about coaches who weren't even good enough to get into the NBA? Doesn't that set a bad precedent? Guys weren't even good enough to coach college. Why are we letting them in?
Name one NBA player who didn't have an outstanding international or collegiate career who is worse than Horry and made the Hall of Fame. One.

That is a hypothetical, and you can't prove it. Bottom line, I'm looking at what HE DID DO, not what somebody else MAY HAVE DONE. Getting into the HOF has a lot to do with luck and what you do with that luck. Would a better forward been as clutch? Even if he had better averages?

you are ignoring what Horry did.
No sir. You are. You're looking at a handful of shots and completely ignoring an entire career of what amounts to essentially a slightly above average NBA player.

He accomplished a lot in his role, far more than ANY other role player, as evidenced by the examples you gave. You listed some of the best role players, some of whom I would put in the HOF and NONE of them hit as many game winner and NONE of them have as many rings.
Those role players I mentioned also didn't jump from championship roster to championship roster and play for amazing teams at the perfect time. You're totally ignoring the players around Horry to make your argument seem better. But if Horry hadn't played with Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan, the guy would probably have zero titles and we wouldn't be talking about him in this context at all.

So... you said those highschool coaches were top four all time and accomplished amazing things. Has Horry not also accomplished amazing things and done more than ANY other role player in terms of winning games and hitting big shots? Would that not place him among the very best role players of all time, top for certanly if not the best ever, or at least most accomplished ever?
I'd like to see some statistics on how clutch Horry was in the playoffs similar to the numbers we've seen on Kobe and Lebron over the years. You're making him sound like a closer who made dozens of clutch shots in key postseason moments. But I'm willing to bet he made no more than 5-6 big jumpers in the last 30 seconds of close postseason games in his career. And when you consider that he played in 244 postseason games in his career and then compare those big shots with big shots from guys like MJ, Lebron and Kobe, I'm guessing his clutch status would be a lot less impressive.

Have other role players hit that many clutch shots in their careers? Probably not. But how many role players played with four top 10 all-time players on three different rosters and played in 244 career postseason games? One. Robert Horry.

You are suggesting an inferior coach that wasn't even good enough for the NBA should be considered in his own context, why wouldn't you do the same for Horry?[/QUOTE]

JasonJohnHorn
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
There have been far, far better role players in NBA history that are not and should not be in the Hall of Fame. You're letting rings sway your decision while totally forgetting that championships are a team accomplishment and one that Horry (as the fourth or fifth best guy) was a very, very small part of.

Fisher can still add to his resume as a coach, but as a player there's no way he deserves to make the Hall of Fame. He was a career 12/4 guy whose career advanced numbers are below average across the board. You'd have to be insane to induct him in based on his achievements as a player.

Battier and Kukoc make a strong case because of what they accomplished in college and internationally, respectively. But if we were basing it off of solely what they achieved in the NBA, they are remotely Hall of Fame worthy. Cooper has probably the best case of anyone in this discussion and even he didn't get in. If Cooper doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame based on his NBA performance, than Robert Horry certainly doesn't.

Except you're looking solely at one barometer: championships. If you look at their actual performance and production on the floor, some of the other guys I mentioned were far, far better players than Horry. Look at Cartwright's early seasons with the Knicks. He was a freakishly efficient 20/8 guy who actually played in an All-Star game. Couple that with the three titles in Chicago and he's got just as strong a case as Horry.

Horace Grant made an All-Star team and four All-Defensive teams in an era where that wasn't easy to do. Not only was he a defensive beast and a very efficient 14/10 guy at his peak, but he was instrumental in the Bulls first three titles in the 90s and had a pretty big role on that 2001 Lakers title team. His resume is far superior to Horry's and he definitely does not belong in the Hall.

And Maxwell may never have played in an All-Star game, but he certainly put up All-Star caliber numbers from 79-81 and he was a freaking Finals MVP in 81. He also has arguably a better resume than Horry, and he doesn't belong in the Hall either.

How many postseason game winning shots did Horry actually make in his career? Maybe a handful? And does a handful of jumpers made at key moments trump a player whose resume is 100% better otherwise? I don't think it does, and I don't know how you can justify that.

Name one NBA player who didn't have an outstanding international or collegiate career who is worse than Horry and made the Hall of Fame. One.

No sir. You are. You're looking at a handful of shots and completely ignoring an entire career of what amounts to essentially a slightly above average NBA player.

Those role players I mentioned also didn't jump from championship roster to championship roster and play for amazing teams at the perfect time. You're totally ignoring the players around Horry to make your argument seem better. But if Horry hadn't played with Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan, the guy would probably have zero titles and we wouldn't be talking about him in this context at all.

I'd like to see some statistics on how clutch Horry was in the playoffs similar to the numbers we've seen on Kobe and Lebron over the years. You're making him sound like a closer who made dozens of clutch shots in key postseason moments. But I'm willing to bet he made no more than 5-6 big jumpers in the last 30 seconds of close postseason games in his career. And when you consider that he played in 244 postseason games in his career and then compare those big shots with big shots from guys like MJ, Lebron and Kobe, I'm guessing his clutch status would be a lot less impressive.

Have other role players hit that many clutch shots in their careers? Probably not. But how many role players played with four top 10 all-time players on three different rosters and played in 244 career postseason games? One. Robert Horry.

You are suggesting an inferior coach that wasn't even good enough for the NBA should be considered in his own context, why wouldn't you do the same for Horry?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take issue with Cartwright or Grant making it in.. I wouldn't vote for them.

I'm not just basing it just off of rings. I'm basing it off of his hitting clutch shots and maximizing his potential. Yes, rings are a team accomplishment, but that is the highest measure of success in the league for a team, and he was the ultimate teammate who did what he had to to help his team win and as a result he helped them get to it 7 times. Part of that is luck, and part of that is hard work.

If you want to erase the rings... then fine. He shouldn't be in, but you can't ignore something like that when considering the HOF.

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't take issue with Cartwright or Grant making it in.. I wouldn't vote for them.
I would have an issue with them getting in, just like I would have an issue with Horry making it in. If this were some kind of Bill Simmons-esque Hall of Fame where we had different sections for different types of players, then I'd have no problem with Horry being listed among the greatest role players of all-time. But that's not how the current Hall of Fame is built and based on the existing qualifications, Horry does not deserve to be in. Not remotely.

I'm not just basing it just off of rings. I'm basing it off of his hitting clutch shots and maximizing his potential.
You're basing it off rings and off of a remarkably small sample size that is his handful of game-winning shots in his career. But you're not considering the context of the rest of his career or the sheer number of playoff games the guy played in. I repeat that I'd like to see somebody provide actual clutch stats for Horry so we can actually the number of big shots he hit in his career.

Yes, rings are a team accomplishment, but that is the highest measure of success in the league for a team, and he was the ultimate teammate who did what he had to to help his team win and as a result he helped them get to it 7 times. Part of that is luck, and part of that is hard work.
I'll say it again.... Horry played with FOUR TOP TEN ALL-TIME CALIBER PLAYERS IN THEIR PRIMES in his career on three different franchises. I'm willing to bet there is not a single other role player in the history of the NBA who can say that. Did Horry help those teams win titles? Sure. But without those players, Horry wouldn't have played in 244 playoff games. Horry would have won zero titles without those four guys. But those four guys easily could have won those seven titles without Horry.

Did he help? Of course he did. But so did a lot of other players on those teams that didn't make the Hall of Fame either.

If you want to erase the rings... then fine. He shouldn't be in, but you can't ignore something like that when considering the HOF.
I'm not erasing the rings. I'm giving them context. A ring as the No. 4 or No. 5 guy does not mean remotely the same thing as a ring as a No. 1 or No. 2 guy. Do they add to the guy's legacy? Absolutely. He was a phenomenal role player and a very good all-around player whose resume in clutch moments dwarfs that of pretty much any other role player in NBA history. If there was an award for greatest role player in NBA history, Horry would deserve serious consideration for it.

But there isn't an award for that. And the Hall doesn't give you credit for being a great role player. If it did, then other great role players in NBA history would be enshrined there. They are not.

rocketfuel
09-13-2014, 08:26 PM
I think Robert Horry is a special case. He might be one of the clutchest guys at the last minute shot that the game's ever seen. While some superstars might put up unreal numbers over a career, yet fade during crunch time, Horry put up ok numbers, but was Reggie Miller clutch when it counted most. Special weight should be given for guys that are gamechangers....guys that make decisive plays that completely change the complexion of a game. And Horry did that over and over again. I rewound and watched that shot Horry made against the Kings a hundred times....just couldn't believe it. People just remember that shot, but Horry actually hit some key 3's down the stretch to even get the Lakers within position. Anyone who watched that game, remembers that the Lakers were dead meat....they were getting killed and the fans were booing. If you can plug in any role player, and they can hit those shots, then why aren't they???? Where are these Horry players that go team to team and hit the most crucial shot to win the rings? Horry's a winner. Players like him do not grow on trees. He was always my favorite player on whatever team he joined. Before he even joined the Lakers and Spurs, I remembered thinking those teams are going to win more rings because Horry seems to have that effect on a team. He's a smart player, a coach's dream, that comes in and does what he can to help a team win.

TheNumber37
09-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Guys like Robert Horry and Derek Fisher who have made a living coming up huge in big moments while coming up in Victory should receive some sort of recognition. Maybe like an honorary selection by players and coaches only

king4day
09-13-2014, 08:57 PM
You put Horry in and you have to put guys like Billups, Ben and Sheed Wallace, maybe Artest. Guys who came up big in big games.
I'll always be against Horry going to the HoF. He never created these 'big shots'. He was just in the right place right time. Clutch? Yes. But I don't know that anyone can say he's a difference maker.

J4KOP99
09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Absolutely not.

tredigs
09-14-2014, 07:27 PM
You put Horry in and you have to put guys like Billups, Ben and Sheed Wallace, maybe Artest. Guys who came up big in big games.
I'll always be against Horry going to the HoF. He never created these 'big shots'. He was just in the right place right time. Clutch? Yes. But I don't know that anyone can say he's a difference maker.
All of these guys are clearly better than Horry. Especially Ben Wallace, who was arguably a top 5 defender in NBA history. His impact was MASSIVE in every game despite his known limits offensively (and even on this end he is underrated as he was one of the best offensive rebounders we've seen and continually kept the Pistons possessions alive that they had no business having).

king4day
09-14-2014, 08:38 PM
All of these guys are clearly better than Horry. Especially Ben Wallace, who was arguably a top 5 defender in NBA history. His impact was MASSIVE in every game despite his known limits offensively (and even on this end he is underrated as he was one of the best offensive rebounders we've seen and continually kept the Pistons possessions alive that they had no business having).

Exactly. And none of them will likely sniff the HoF. Thus, Horry doesn't belong either.

mightybosstone
09-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Exactly. And none of them will likely sniff the HoF. Thus, Horry doesn't belong either.

Billups will do a lot better than "sniff" the Hall of Fame. I think it's likely that he gets in. And I don't know if Wallace will get in or not, but he certainly deserves to.

rocketfuel
09-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Some guys are "in the conversation." Cases can be made for them. Wallace was a real beast on defense and rebounding. Yeah, he maybe scored 5 points a game, but his impact on the other side of the ball was huge. Not sure if he'll ever get in, but it's not unreasonable if someone makes an argument for him. Rodman's impact was more for his rebounding and defense and he's in the hall of fame. The problem with the hall of fame is that the criteria is pretty vague. You have players that some do not think belong and others people think do. It's so subjective....depending on the opinion of a small group of voters and alot of it is political.

ewing
09-15-2014, 03:25 PM

I'm not just basing it just off of rings. I'm basing it off of his hitting clutch shots and maximizing his potential. Yes, rings are a team accomplishment, but that is the highest measure of success in the league for a team, and he was the ultimate teammate who did what he had to to help his team win and as a result he helped them get to it 7 times. Part of that is luck, and part of that is hard work.

If you want to erase the rings... then fine. He shouldn't be in, but you can't ignore something like that when considering the HOF.[/QUOTE]

What? Horry was 6'10, with range, hops, a handle, finishing ability, speed, and the ability to defender either forward position. The guy came into the league with the tools be a multiple time all star. He never came close. You think he maximized his potential by hitting a couple big shots at the end of big games? Sorry but i STRONGLY disagree.

HeatFan
09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
If there is somebody that wasn't a clear cut hall of famer that I would vote for it has to be Horry. To many daggers and too much coincidence that all three teams that he played on for more than one season won multiple championships. Plus, he was key to at least a few victories during each teams playoffs and finals runs.

Jeffy25
09-15-2014, 11:22 PM
No

Fortunate enough to be in the right place, at the right time, many times.

He never lost in the first round.

But rings and things like that are all team accomplishments. Horry did have several special moments though, but that isn't enough to put him in there.

Jeffy25
09-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Fun fact, he would have the lowest PPG of any Hall of Famer, in what is probably one of the worst professional hall of fames.

flea
09-15-2014, 11:26 PM
If Ben Wallace doesn't make the HOF but Carmelo Anthony does they should change the name.

JJ_JKidd
09-16-2014, 02:37 AM
The guy just hangs out the entire regular season. He probably gets DNP-CD half of the season. But he's always ready when it matters. if it wasn't for him Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan all might be at least one ring short.

If you're a new NBA fan or you're just young enough that you don't remember what Horry did. Remember what Ray Allen did in that game 6 in last year's finals to forced a game 7? That was Horry's career.

Hell YEAH!

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 04:51 AM
I think he makes it overall. But it might take a few tries. He's in that whole Kevin Johnson-Bernard King spectrum. He deserves it but I'm not sure that he will get the votes due to unreasonable expectations of what a HOF player should be.

mightybosstone
09-16-2014, 09:06 AM
I think he makes it overall. But it might take a few tries. He's in that whole Kevin Johnson-Bernard King spectrum. He deserves it but I'm not sure that he will get the votes due to unreasonable expectations of what a HOF player should be.

C'mon man. Look at what you just wrote. You compared Robert freaking Horry to Kevin Johnson and Bernard King. Horry's best seasons don't come remotely close to what KJ or King did as players. And King didn't get in until 22 years after he retired. If KJ can't get in and it took King that long to get in, then Horry should have absolutely zero chance to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

D-Leethal
09-16-2014, 09:10 AM
If Ben Wallace doesn't make the HOF but Carmelo Anthony does they should change the name.

I'd say they both get in.

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 01:40 PM
C'mon man. Look at what you just wrote. You compared Robert freaking Horry to Kevin Johnson and Bernard King. Horry's best seasons don't come remotely close to what KJ or King did as players. And King didn't get in until 22 years after he retired. If KJ can't get in and it took King that long to get in, then Horry should have absolutely zero chance to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

I'm talking about overall contributions and legacy. They are obviously dissimilar players. KJ and BK put up much better stats. But Horry has an insane amount of achievements.

DemarDerozan
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
If there is somebody that wasn't a clear cut hall of famer that I would vote for it has to be Horry. To many daggers and too much coincidence that all three teams that he played on for more than one season won multiple championships. Plus, he was key to at least a few victories during each teams playoffs and finals runs.

Set the record of 53 3-pointers during the Finals in his career.

You can find any number of players that can carry a team to the playoffs. But once you get there who is more valuable? The guy who shuts down and gets swept in four games? Or the guy who redefined clutch and goes HAM during the Finals.

Chronz
09-16-2014, 03:50 PM
So long as there are circumstances where you take a winning role player over a flawed superstar, a guy like Horry can be in the HOF. Particularly with his 2-way efficiency and ability to play off stars.

Buckwheat
09-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Let's just put Danny Green in the HOF while we're at it.

Chronz
09-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Let's just put Danny Green in the HOF while we're at it.

How about we name someone better than Horry.

Buckwheat
09-16-2014, 05:33 PM
How about we name someone better than Horry.

Raef LaFrentz

Jeffy25
09-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Set the record of 53 3-pointers during the Finals in his career.

You can find any number of players that can carry a team to the playoffs. But once you get there who is more valuable? The guy who shuts down and gets swept in four games? Or the guy who redefined clutch and goes HAM during the Finals.

And he has the 16th most post-season minutes of all time and the 4th most Finals minutes of all-time....yet, all of this while only being a starter on two of his championship teams, and starting in only half of the post-season games he played in.

This is not a hall of famer. I think one basic criteria for going in as a player, should be that you were an actual starter lol. Horry literally came off the bench more than he started in his career.

A few clutch shots doesn't change that.

bagwell368
09-17-2014, 06:18 AM
No. Great guy to fill your bench with.

Paul Silas had about as much impact and he's not a HOF'er. KC Jones won more titles as a starter, and he got in, but he shouldn't be. 8 rings out of 9 is years played is great, but it's the Celts mystique that has him in. He was a cog, never the main guy, or even the 3rd guy. Don Nelson has way more business in the HOF than KC, and he is in. One of the few guys that was a sub most of his career that's in. At his peak he did play nearly starter minutes, and he could shoot really well for his time. The last 3 out of the 5 rings he has he was a key player, and w/o him they are probably those 3 rings short.

R. Johnson#3
09-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Come on