PDA

View Full Version : Adam Silver: NBA may consider occasional 10 a.m. tip-offs.

PurpleLynch
09-05-2014, 01:19 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/adam-silver-nba-may-consider-occasional-10-am-tipoffs-someday-to-accommodate-chinese-market-320283.html

What do you think about it? It must be really weird for people living in Us,Canada,Mexico etc a 10 a.m. tip-off. It will surely accommodate the chinese market(and even the me,since I live in Italy),but what's your opinion? Let's discuss!

goingfor28
09-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Stupid

hugepatsfan
09-05-2014, 01:32 PM
As long as they don't do it during the weekdays then I like it. I like the idea of a weekly Saturday morning game. I'm usually watching sports highlights during that time anyway so a live game would be great. It makes the NBA more money and contributes to a better product. I think this is a terrific idea.

Iron24th
09-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Great idea for european people like me

mudvayne387
09-05-2014, 01:38 PM
As long as they don't do it during the weekdays then I like it. I like the idea of a weekly Saturday morning game. I'm usually watching sports highlights during that time anyway so a live game would be great. It makes the NBA more money and contributes to a better product. I think this is a terrific idea.

Agreed. Saturday morning basketball would be pretty neat. Players might even like it if they don't have a game the night before.

deaner
09-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Very Stupid. As a guy who works leaf and raptor games we typically only get 4 or 5 hour sleeps between a PM hockey game and a 1PM basketball game. Our start time is typically 6-7 hours before tipoff. 4 AM starts is not something I get excited about.

benzni
09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
It would be interesting to see how it affects ticket sales.

deaner
09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Not to mention the arena conversion teams already are pressed for time in many venues to convert from hockey or a concert into basketball.

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Won't happen

jaydubb
09-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Great idea for european people like me

I really think that's the idea, it's no secret that the NBA has been toying with the idea of expanding overseas so why not make the games available at a time when it would be convenient? Then in a few years they can reevaluate the market in Europe and other places and consider moving there if it makes sense financially. This is just one step closer in my opinion.

Being in the states, I don't like it but I see why they'd do this. Fans in the states (including me) wont like having their team on when they are at work but I think it's a great business decision for the nba.

effen5
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I would love it

Shawn Kemp 40
09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
This guy is an idiot. Why couldn't the NBA had just put someone that played and knows the game like Julius Erving or Kiki Vandewedge in as the commissioner.

kdspurman
09-05-2014, 05:51 PM

+1... I'd be down for Saturday morning basketball. I wonder if it would be a marquis type game or not.

GiantsSwaGG
09-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Wouldn't work for JR Smith

lamzoka
09-05-2014, 05:57 PM
This guy is an idiot. Why couldn't the NBA had just put someone that played and knows the game like Julius Erving or Kiki Vandewedge in as the commissioner.

The first official diss toward adam silver. This guy have been nothing but great since he became commissioner

Iron24th
09-05-2014, 06:51 PM
I really think that's the idea, it's no secret that the NBA has been toying with the idea of expanding overseas so why not make the games available at a time when it would be convenient? Then in a few years they can reevaluate the market in Europe and other places and consider moving there if it makes sense financially. This is just one step closer in my opinion.

Being in the states, I don't like it but I see why they'd do this. Fans in the states (including me) wont like having their team on when they are at work but I think it's a great business decision for the nba.

:cheers:

TheNumber37
09-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Not gonna happen, the knicks will protest because they are like 3-13 I'm noon games

Shammyguy3
09-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't like it at all

Phantom Dreamer
09-05-2014, 07:43 PM
If it affects the players' performance and I assume it will, it's a terrible idea.

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't see an issue with this on a Saturday or Sunday. It makes it possible to watch more games here, and opens up times to watch in other global markets.

Ariza's Better
09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
It's great for Europe and China. It would suck for me in Australia. That's 2 to 3 in the morning.

IndyRealist
09-05-2014, 09:00 PM
It would be interesting to see how it affects ticket sales.

Ticket sales are no longer the driver of revenue, TV deals are. And this is exactly the kind of move that will get them HUGE international TV deals if they can land games in prime time for China or Europe.

What I am interested to see is how this will affect West coast teams on East road trips. As it is, West teams have a huge advantage during the regular season, when East teams travel to California and Portland they end up playing until 1am Eastern, then hop on a plane to get to the next city in a back to back and do it again. It'll even it out some if West coast teams have to come East and play games at 7am their time right after they get off a plane at 2am.

kobe4thewinbang
09-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Why not? If anything, games are too late. Back when I watched the local Cavaliers channel, they had lots of games that started at noon. 10AM might be too early, but more noon games shouldn't hurt.

mike_noodles
09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Not sure what the laws are in each US state, but in Toronto, you can't serve beer before 11am. Not sure the owners would be willing to give up those concessions on a 400% mark up. Unless there's a massive tv deal coming from a foreign country to line the owners' pockets I don't see it happening.

Edit: And it's not just beer. They would lose lots of food revenues as well. I think alotta people would not eat anything at the game and just go for a late lunch after. Many things on the menu wouldn't interest me at that time of day.

NYCkid12
09-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I love the idea if it's on weekends, I would love to watch some basketball in the am instead of highlights I've seen a dozen times already

IndyRealist
09-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Not sure what the laws are in each US state, but in Toronto, you can't serve beer before 11am. Not sure the owners would be willing to give up those concessions on a 400% mark up. Unless there's a massive tv deal coming from a foreign country to line the owners' pockets I don't see it happening.

Edit: And it's not just beer. They would lose lots of food revenues as well. I think alotta people would not eat anything at the game and just go for a late lunch after. Many things on the menu wouldn't interest me at that time of day.
Doesn't matter. They will gain 10x that much in international tv rights.

Sadds The Gr8
09-09-2014, 03:09 PM
As a guy who works evenings, I'd love it

da ThRONe
09-09-2014, 03:26 PM
This should all be leading to the reduction of the season at least 20 games or however many necessary so that all teams only play two games a week. Saturdays should be the showcase day for the marque games of the week. Which could start at 10am.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2014, 10:19 PM
As long as it's featuring teams like the Wolves, Sixers, Raptors I'm all for it!

*Silver&Black*
09-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Sure, let's have the billboard short sleeve shirts league on before noon where the U.S. audience is at work/school, you know, the audience that eventually becomes the NBA players, your product.

*Silver&Black*
09-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Because lawyers and bankers run things up top. Basketball players just stay on the court in this business, as the money makers. A basketball player running basketball operations? This is where the untalented people born rich come in and make more money.

5ass
09-09-2014, 11:02 PM
The Chinese are taking over!

SPURSFAN1
09-09-2014, 11:10 PM
I would be down with this.

knickerbockerny
09-09-2014, 11:31 PM
This should all be leading to the reduction of the season at least 20 games or however many necessary so that all teams only play two games a week. Saturdays should be the showcase day for the marque games of the week. Which could start at 10am.

I agree with this, the NBA plays too many games as is. The early games would not be good for weekdays for obvious reasons (as work and school). Weekends would me great for these early games, though I think 10am is a bit too early. Starting marquee games at around noon would be great. It would be evening over in the European countries and countries in the Americas would not be affected. So more weekend games at noon would be perfect.

Im ready for something similar to the NBA on NBC back in the 90s, which were marque programing during weekend afternoons.

dalton749
09-09-2014, 11:44 PM
It's too much burden on everyone directly involved

koreancabbage
09-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Yes, do it.

moar basketball. i hate it when multiple games are going on at the same time. spread it out more so that people get more exposure to other teams in the league. i.e. everyone is going to watch a major team moreso than lesser known team at the same time slot.

DitchDat
09-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Didn't they research this at the Sloan Conference? I have to look up the report, but it said that NBA players are wired to peak between 7 PM and 11 PM. I don't think their bodies are ready for 10 AM games. I love the idea, but I don't think it would make for great games.

NYKalltheway
09-10-2014, 05:33 AM
Isn't it too early for people to attend basketball games?
It's obviously going to be weekend fixtures though.

YoungOne
09-10-2014, 06:35 AM
i'd rather have some 1 pm games on saturday aswell

Munkeysuit
09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
This is all to appease the audience out there in Asia, I am all for it! let the NBA global domination begin!

Dee_Edge
09-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Aside from the global thing, I'm a morning person, I think it's a great idea...coaches won't mind, most players will hate it!

Sandman
09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Ultimately this is a pretty low risk thing to try out, right?

If it tanks ticket sales or TV ratings, its just one game and they don't have to do it again.

NetsPaint
09-11-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm not even awake at that time most days.

BirdIsTheWord
09-11-2014, 02:57 AM
If teams are coming into Denver on the second night of a back-to-back then I'm all for it. Although I doubt I'd be able to watch it here in Aus. Regular games start between 10am-1pm here.

Big Zo
09-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Only people with no lives would tune in that early. If this happens on weekends, you should still be hung over from the previous night at that time.

sixers247
09-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Only people with no lives would tune in that early. If this happens on weekends, you should still be hung over from the previous night at that time.

I think you have this backwards. Or probably just a Miami tool

Burkey3472
09-11-2014, 09:52 AM
My guess is 10 AM games would only be on Saturday and Sunday in which it would be a good idea. It's not like were talking games at 6 AM where no one is awake, 10 AM is a reasonable time. It's not too early for fans to go either because plenty of fans start tailgating at 8 AM for football games, why can't basketball fans show up around the same time? I'd be ok with the occasional early game during the week too but 1 o'clock ish start time.

cdnsportsfan
09-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Obviously this is only for the weekend games but I'd say not 10 a.m., try 11 instead - if the games at Noon are starting too late in the day anyways for foreign markets.

If it's 10 a.m., as others have said in here Ontario anyways doesn't allow alcohol sales until 11, so there's at least one team that would stand opposed. And another point was raised about people not eating at the game and having a late lunch, to me that would also make sense and is something I'd likely do when heading out to a game.

Concessions would likely take a beating at these 10 a.m. games and I can't imagine too many teams would be thrilled at the prospect of playing a game where they're likely to come up short in the end.

Unless an International TV deal is signed that's a huge financial windfall the way this upcoming US broadcast deal is supposed to be, I see more teams standing opposed to a 10 a.m. start time than supporting it.

todu82
09-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Might be a decent idea especially on weekends.

diu9leilomo
09-11-2014, 11:54 AM
bad idea, most of us would still be in bed 10am on a saturday morning

benzni
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
bad idea, most of us would still be in bed 10am on a saturday morning

this lol. Having to leave the house around 7-8 to eat breakfast and drive to the arena.

Big Zo
09-11-2014, 02:47 PM
I think you have this backwards. Or probably just a Miami tool

"Tool"? You are definitely a white person. Lol

2-ONE-5
09-11-2014, 04:40 PM
its a bad idea. there is no way any team is selling out a 10am game. probably not even coming close in fact. this is a national leage there is no need to appeal to foriegn markets by having ridiculous game times. all these leagues are starting to care less and less about their fans with all the international non sense

Sandman
09-11-2014, 05:16 PM
its a bad idea. there is no way any team is selling out a 10am game. probably not even coming close in fact. this is a national leage there is no need to appeal to foriegn markets by having ridiculous game times. all these leagues are starting to care less and less about their fans with all the international non sense

They could easily do it as a 1 game experiment and put more thought into the results than trying to project them.

LongIslandIcedZ
09-11-2014, 05:36 PM

You can't watch basketball hungover?

Big Zo
09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
You can't watch basketball hungover?
Yes, but at that time, you're still passed out.