PDA

View Full Version : Will Melo win a Ring?

FriedTofuz
09-05-2014, 02:09 AM
Short and sweet: Melo is arguably the best scorer in the game, he's made the playoffs every year other than last year and just signed a max contract. can he win a ring in NY?

Tumstock
09-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Short and sweet: There is no argument for melo as the best scorer, Durant is easily better.

The knicks stink and they won't win anytime soon.

dalton749
09-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Not in New York

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 03:32 AM
Arguably? Durant has evidently been the best scorer and arguably the greatest scorer we've seen.

Sadds The Gr8
09-05-2014, 03:33 AM
Nope

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Short and sweet: There is no argument for melo as the best scorer, Durant is easily better.

Wasn't short

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 03:40 AM
I say yes and only because in Phil I trust .

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 03:49 AM
Short and sweet: Melo is arguably the best scorer in the game, he's made the playoffs every year other than last year and just signed a max contract. can he win a ring in NY?

The best scorer in the game is KD and melo is never going to win a ring anywhere.

Ebbs
09-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Lol no can get over the "Carmelo is arguably the greatest scorer in the game." Which is fair I cried laughing. Can't believe any idiot would argue that.

SanPitte
09-05-2014, 04:36 AM
IF NY makes good moves and signs good players around him
Amar'e and Bargnani's expiring contracts, Shumpert, Hardaway Jr are assets that could turn into something, who knows?

lamzoka
09-05-2014, 04:52 AM
You guys must have a crystal ball or something. can I get the winning numbers of the power ball, cuz it looks like ya know it all.

Well while you guys at it, might as well answer these questions for me.

Will CP3 ever win a ring?
Will Blake Griffin ever win a ring?
Will Durant ever win a ring?
Will DRose ever win a ring?
Will Steph Curry ever win a ring?
Will Harden and Dwight ever win a ring?
Will Paul george win a ring?
Will the raptors win a ring?

And raptor fans, honestly you guys should be the last one talking somebody not winning a ring. just stop it man.

bagwell368
09-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Melo is at or very near the start of his decline. Given his contract and the current state of the NYK, it's highly unlikely it happens in the next 3 years. After that his decline will be marked, so will his pay check, so he becomes maybe the main impediment to improvement, instead of just one of the main ones now with his "game".

If he wasn't in NY nobody would be making these wild claims for him. But a franchise that was a John Havlicek injury away from one total flag in its history, it's easy to understand unreasonable inflation of the current "star".

If he wins, it'll be as spare part on another team who will trade bad contracts and picks to pick up that missing piece "volume scorer" off the bench they think they need.

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 05:04 AM
You guys must have a crystal ball or something. can I get the winning numbers of the power ball, cuz it looks like ya know it all.

And raptor fans, honestly you guys should be the last one talking somebody not winning a ring. just stop it man.

:laugh2:

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 05:06 AM
:laugh: oh you guys really can tell the future , now that's funny :laugh:

KnicksorBust
09-05-2014, 05:37 AM
No but I think Phil will come through and bring in another top 20 player in the next year (or two really good players) and make the Knicks relevant in the Eastern Conference foe the first time since the 90s.

NYKalltheway
09-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Melo is the type of player that requires a top class PG (who does PG stuff mostly) in order to become part of a winning team and be surrounded by defensive minded role players who can shoot an open 3 and putbacks (guards + bigs respectively)

We'll have to wait and see how he'll react to the new system but imo he's a high post, isolation player and isn't surrounded by the players necessary.

jimm120
09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
With Lebron in the east, no.
With the west being so much superior, no.

That said, let's see what happens when ny has a legit #2. Too much wasted money on amare. Chandler was good but not some star.

dalton749
09-05-2014, 07:05 AM
No but I think Phil will come through and bring in another top 20 player in the next year (or two really good players) and make the Knicks relevant in the Eastern Conference foe the first time since the 90s.

that would be nice

c.c.
09-05-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure about a ring but If Melo would of stayed in Denver that team would of been yearly contenders. That team had depth and a great coach. His silly urge to play in New York will always be the reason why he will never hold up an Larry O'brien trophy as the main guy on a team.

tr3ymill3r
09-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Sure, he will have plenty of money to win one on eBay if someone gets desperate enough to sell theirs when they are broke.

Jamiecballer
09-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Melo might win one in the twilight of his career if his approach to the game matures. You can't win anything significant with a guy who is an offense unto himself.

QueensG_718
09-05-2014, 08:50 AM
I think melo can in a weak east especially. At the very least compete every yr deep in the playoffs

Sly Guy
09-05-2014, 09:21 AM
no, not in new york, at least.

KNICKS R BACK
09-05-2014, 09:37 AM
First of all Melo is a better scorer than KD, he can score in way more ways than KD does...and for all the flack that Melo gets, KD has ALOT of the SAME deficiencies. Watch when another few years go by and KD still doesn't have a ring, they will begin to criticize his deficiencies the same way they do Melo. AS FOR THE OP... from a Knicks fan, NO Carmelo Anthony will never win a ring. His style of play is not conducive to winning. Unless Phil Jackson and D-Fish can teach an old dog new tricks and revolutionize his game, I sincerely doubt it. Personally, I didn't even want Melo back, I wanted to strip it down and rebuild.

koreancabbage
09-05-2014, 09:39 AM

only this guy. TBH, no one but the OP talks about the Knicks more than him, as Raptors fans go. We don't even bring up the topic of Melo for the most part.

sure we may reply to your posts but TBH - the Knicks have been just as irrelevant as the Raptors since the Vince Carter years and that was a long time ago.

and talking about rings - you and probably most Knicks fans here in this forum probably weren't even born when the last Knicks team won a ring - so don't talk about rings like you have experience for cheering a team that actually won a ring.

nycericanguy
09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
A Raptor fan making a thread about the Knicks... what a shocker...lol.

TheNumber37
09-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Kobe Bryant says so.
Yes. Durant is a better shooter, but Melo can score in more ways and has A 62 point game under his belt. These are the arguments

deaner
09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
:laugh: oh you guys really can tell the future , now that's funny :laugh:

That's the thing raptor fans find funny. Last year was fact, but New Yorkers want to watch a Disney animation.

deaner
09-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I think melo can in a weak east especially. At the very least compete every yr deep in the playoffs

Deep every year? The opposite has been proven so far.

Crackadalic
09-05-2014, 11:42 AM
No but I like his chances next couple years if we make a splash next off season

FriedTofuz
09-05-2014, 12:28 PM

I made a thread about Melo,
go cry elsewhere kiddo.

First of all Melo is a better scorer than KD, he can score in way more ways than KD does...and for all the flack that Melo gets, KD has ALOT of the SAME deficiencies. Watch when another few years go by and KD still doesn't have a ring, they will begin to criticize his deficiencies the same way they do Melo. AS FOR THE OP... from a Knicks fan, NO Carmelo Anthony will never win a ring. His style of play is not conducive to winning. Unless Phil Jackson and D-Fish can teach an old dog new tricks and revolutionize his game, I sincerely doubt it. Personally, I didn't even want Melo back, I wanted to strip it down and rebuild.

Yeah a lot if people may thibk im crazy but yes Melo does score in more ways thann Kevin Durant.

amak316
09-05-2014, 12:40 PM
No chance he chose the money and his decline is coming before this contract is over. He might make the playoffs a couple more times though. Maybe he attaches himself to a contender at the Twilight of his career in a Ray Allen 6th or 7th man role and gets one, but it's not happen as a #1 or #2 on a team.

I, for one, agree with his decision to take the money fwiw. He's from NY so he gets to stay at home, have financial security for life (assuming he's smart enough to make it last) and he was never big time enough for his legacy to matter. He's always been in that middle tier where he was bound to be forgotten quickly upon retirement. Even if he won a championship in Chicago as the #2 to rose no one would care a few years from now.

bbcmillionaire
09-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Lol not with New York, he chose money, "business", and friends. He had his chance to compete, now he has to watch the bulls, cavs and like 4 other teams that are better

Minimal
09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Both Durant and LeBron are better scorers than Melo and I don't think he is gonna one a ring, it seems he doesn't really care that much about oneing.

DoMeFavors
09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
I do, most top players recently end up in the very last years of their career joining with a contender on the cheap. Melo is good friends with Lebron and CP3 id watch out if he joins Cavs or Clippers down the line.

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
That's the thing raptor fans find funny. Last year was fact, but New Yorkers want to watch a Disney animation.

Ok, whatever makes you happy

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I do, most top players recently end up in the very last years of their career joining with a contender on the cheap. Melo is good friends with Lebron and CP3 id watch out if he joins Cavs or Clippers down the line.

That's what Deron should do

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Both Durant and LeBron are better scorers than Melo and I don't think he is gonna one a ring, it seems he doesn't really care that much about oneing.

Huh ? I wish I knew what you were saying lol

D-Leethal
09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
If there is a good enough team built around him he sure can. Have we ever seen Melo with a legitimate championship supporting cast? If LeBron was playing with JR, Tyson and Felton and Melo was with Wade, Bosh, Battier and Allen, Melo would be the one with the rings right now. Melo had a past-prime Billups, past-prime KMart and Marcus Camby and 6 games deep into the WCF. Thats not a legitimate championship cast, not when guys like LeBron need multiple top 10-15 guys to win his and KD can't do it with a perennial DPOY candidate and a top 10 player by his side.

TheNumber37
09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Third thread designed to invite psd violence against melo and the knicks, haha

It is unknowable if Melo is ever going to win a ring, unless he announced he's retiring after this year and I missed it

PurpleLynch
09-05-2014, 01:11 PM
We have to see,P-Jax wants to build around him(and he's right),but he has to pull some really good moves to let Melo win one ring.

TheNumber37
09-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Chicago offered him a 2 year deal and then a 5 year max.. If he was about mobey, he would have taken the 7 year, 160 mil deal

mRc08
09-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Nope. Has to get through lebron/bulls in the east for a few years. No foreseeable free agents. West still better. He won't, at least not as the #1 option. Times Ticking.

amak316
09-05-2014, 01:44 PM
If there is a good enough team built around him he sure can. Have we ever seen Melo with a legitimate championship supporting cast? If LeBron was playing with JR, Tyson and Felton and Melo was with Wade, Bosh, Battier and Allen, Melo would be the one with the rings right now. Melo had a past-prime Billups, past-prime KMart and Marcus Camby and 6 games deep into the WCF. Thats not a legitimate championship cast, not when guys like LeBron need multiple top 10-15 guys to win his and KD can't do it with a perennial DPOY candidate and a top 10 player by his side.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Even assuming that those heat teams with Melo make the finals all 4 years LBJs heat teams did I'm pretty sure they'd lose all 4 finals match ups. Having LeBron defend against KD was a ridiculously large asset in defeating the Thunder and that was the only series the Heat won convincingly. I like Melo and I think he'd be a great #2 on a contender, and it's absurd how bad his teammates have been to this point of his career, but I think LBJ is playing a different game than him.

If you swapped LBJ and Melo last years Knicks would have been the #2 seed in the east, that's how large the gap is.

benzni
09-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Nope. I don't see either team in NY winning these next few years. Who knows what will happen though.

pebloemer
09-05-2014, 02:02 PM
He has the offensive talent to lead a team to the championship IMO. He needs a mentor to show him how to utilize his talents most effectively and someone to put the appropriate pieces around him to make him successful. Lofty task for a man (Phil Jackson) with a pretty sensational resume.

lamzoka
09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
only this guy. TBH, no one but the OP talks about the Knicks more than him, as Raptors fans go. We don't even bring up the topic of Melo for the most part.

sure we may reply to your posts but TBH - the Knicks have been just as irrelevant as the Raptors since the Vince Carter years and that was a long time ago.

and talking about rings - you and probably most Knicks fans here in this forum probably weren't even born when the last Knicks team won a ring - so don't talk about rings like you have experience for cheering a team that actually won a ring.

You don't see Knicks fans on this forum saying this player and that player will never win a ring. There are 2 world championship banners hanging in the garden. You can't take that away from us.

All I'm saying is don't throw stones, if you live in the glass house.

D-Leethal
09-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't necessarily agree with this. Even assuming that those heat teams with Melo make the finals all 4 years LBJs heat teams did I'm pretty sure they'd lose all 4 finals match ups. Having LeBron defend against KD was a ridiculously large asset in defeating the Thunder and that was the only series the Heat won convincingly. I like Melo and I think he'd be a great #2 on a contender, and it's absurd how bad his teammates have been to this point of his career, but I think LBJ is playing a different game than him.

If you swapped LBJ and Melo last years Knicks would have been the #2 seed in the east, that's how large the gap is.

Fair enough - but there is no doubt that team makes the Finals AT LEAST 2 out of the 4 years. With Battier guarding guys like KD, I do think Melo wins one of them at least. Melo has also OWNED KD in their H2H matchups at this point in their careers. Overall point remains the same though.

GiantsSwaGG
09-05-2014, 04:41 PM
You don't see Knicks fans on this forum saying this player and that player will never win a ring. There are 2 world championship banners hanging in the garden. You can't take that away from us.

All I'm saying is don't throw stones, if you live in the glass house.

Ouch

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Melo is never winning a ring at his prime.. No one in the East will be stopping Cleveland any time soon and even if you add say Marc Gasol/Bledsoe/Melo on the NYK, they still wouldn't beat Cleveland, OKC, LAC, Spurs.

deaner
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Didn't Melo already one one?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-05-2014, 05:32 PM

I think Miami might have been better, but I'm not even sure if they would have made it to the Finals at all with Carmelo instead of LeBron tbh.

BHF
09-05-2014, 07:52 PM

You keep crying about the raptors fans yet you are creeping in our forums all the time. And to answer the question only way Melo would stand a chance to win a ring is if he joined the Bulls, he will be luck very lucky to make the playoffs with the current team in NY.

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
You keep crying about the raptors fans yet you are creeping in our forums all the time. And to answer the question only way Melo would stand a chance to win a ring is if he joined the Bulls, he will be luck very lucky to make the playoffs with the current team in NY.

So enjoy the current Knick team since it'll be much different next season. Stay tuned

KnicksYanks
09-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Melo is never winning a ring at his prime.. No one in the East will be stopping Cleveland any time soon and even if you add say Marc Gasol/Bledsoe/Melo on the NYK, they still wouldn't beat Cleveland, OKC, LAC, Spurs.

Gasol/bledsoe(healthy)/melo can very much have a chance at Beating the cavs

nycericanguy
09-05-2014, 08:15 PM

creeping in your forum?... How does one creep a forum? I've posted in the TOR forum from time to time... most TOR fans are cool and the forum is active... but there are 4-5 posters that are obsessed with the KNicks and just creating bait/troll threads. Every point imaginable from both fanbases has already been made... yet OP keeps trying to stir things up about a team he doesn't even root for.

Stay classy my friend...

D-Leethal
09-05-2014, 08:21 PM
I think Miami might have been better, but I'm not even sure if they would have made it to the Finals at all with Carmelo instead of LeBron tbh.

Miami never had a worthy opponent whether they let them take them to gave 7 before kicking it into gear or not. We obviously have no real way of telling, but Melo-Wade-Bosh is lightyears better than the ECF competition since 2011.

GiantsSwaGG
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
creeping in your forum?... How does one creep a forum? I've posted in the TOR forum from time to time... most TOR fans are cool and the forum is active... but there are 4-5 posters that are obsessed with the KNicks and just creating bait/troll threads. Every point imaginable from both fanbases has already been made... yet OP keeps trying to stir things up about a team he doesn't even root for.

Stay classy my friend...

He's one of them bro, don't pay him no mind

DarkKnight
09-05-2014, 08:57 PM
He's one of them bro, don't pay him no mind
:laugh: outsiders !!

FriedTofuz
09-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Okay knick fans, please listen carefully. I understand that sfter making one thread regarding the knicks potentially winning 54 games attracted a heated one-sided debate, and a lot of homerism, which in turn, caused knick fans to overanalyze every thread Ive made and accused me of attempting to troll and bait the knicks. I can assure, that I dont care enough to cause trouble, I'm not that kind of poster. If you think underwise, well that's your misconception of who I am.

I created this thread just like how I created a thread regarding kobe's 6th (potential) ring. Melo is a top 5 player im the league, and with age, his time is bcoming more and more limited at potentially winning a ship, and I just wanted to know what others woupd think, as it's a topic worthy of discusssion.

Also, I do not hate the knicks. I Love the city of new york, and I love MSG, I however dislike the unrealistic predictions from certain fans, but all fanbases have em so it's cool. The only team I do dislike, would have to be the heat for merely buying '( instead of building) their teams. so please, read this post before you contibue to accuse and derail my threads. If you bave a problem with me, kindly report it to one of the moderators. Good Day.

GiantsSwaGG
09-05-2014, 09:06 PM
:laugh: outsiders !!

:laugh: he gets so emotionally fake *** David West

THE MTL
09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
People are being so ******** with the words "arguably". The poster said "arguably".... doesn't mean that he is.

Relax and answer the question on the thread.

With that said, Melo can't win one by himself. He needs allstar help but even Kobe and Lebron needed help from multiple stars to win rings too.

kobe4thewinbang
09-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Will Melo win a ring?

With Phil Jackson, he has the best chance obviously. If he retires without one, it will taint his legacy.

IBleedPurple
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Not likely. If the Knicks stop giving away first round picks, get him some help, and some stars actually wanted to play on the same team as Melo for cheap, then maybe.

Being that Phil isn't the coach, and it's gonna be quite a while before it would happen, going with no.

Captain Moroni
09-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Absolutely. I laugh at the ignorance on these forums. People have no clue how the Knicks will be a completely reloaded squad next year.
If the same question was asked about Kevin Love 2 months ago everyone would have laughed at that as well.

Space for 2 HUGE free agents next summer. Laugh at that.

Captain Moroni
09-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Not likely. If the Knicks stop giving away first round picks, get him some help, and some stars actually wanted to play on the same team as Melo for cheap, then maybe.

Being that Phil isn't the coach, and it's gonna be quite a while before it would happen, going with no.

This is a perfect example of the mis informed. Stars don't have to play with Melo for cheap. Next summer stars can play with Melo for mega bucks.
So if Phil isn't coaching the Bulls, Cav's , Thunder, or Clippers....should it be quite a while for them as well? How have all the teams ( SA, Miami, Dallas) been winning rings without Phil Jackson?

DitchDat
09-10-2014, 05:07 AM
I don't believe so. That team is just too flawed.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Nah. He chose the money over the ring. Could've contended during his prime with the Bulls.

cmellofan15
09-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't think he will after signing that contract this summer. If he would have went to the Rockets or the Bulls it would be a completely different story though.

aman_13
09-10-2014, 01:56 PM
It would be really cool if he does. A championship in NY playing for the Knicks is one of the best accomplishments any athlete could achieve imo.

PhillyFaninLA
09-10-2014, 02:17 PM
The Spurs don't win last year with him on there roster....you don't win titles with me first offensive guys.

Crackadalic
09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Nah. He chose the money over the ring. Could've contended during his prime with the Bulls.

The Bulls offered him a two year deal reportedly. Not even the biggest ring chaser would take that kind of paycut with no security if he gets injured somehow

todu82
09-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Doubt it, had he gone to another team this summer as a free agent he might have.

Tony_Starks
09-10-2014, 06:33 PM
The Bulls offered him a two year deal reportedly. Not even the biggest ring chaser would take that kind of paycut with no security if he gets injured somehow

I've never heard that. Everything I heard was 4 years Bulls. I respect the fact that he's not a ring chaser in his prime like some corny stars but at the end of the day I think it cost him a ring....

KnickNyKnick
09-10-2014, 09:16 PM
the ignorance on this thread. people have no idea of the NYK's in 2015 as far as cap goes. I'd go for Monroe.

dalton749
09-10-2014, 10:08 PM
So melo and moose are winning a chip? Neither are good at d, and one pees his pants

LakersA's49ers
09-10-2014, 10:37 PM
If Malone and Stockton couldnt win a ring, what makes us think Carmelo will?

SeoulBeatz
09-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Melo could have a Paul Pierce-esque ending to his career.

He can be the #1 option on a championship team, he is an elite scorer IMO.

But as the roster stands now, there's no way the knicks are winning a chip. The front office needs to work some magic and acquire another star to take some pressure off him, and I just don't like the way the team is constructed. Not nearly enough defense to support Melo and let him do what he does best.

FriedTofuz
09-10-2014, 11:00 PM

knick fans

sharqstealth
09-10-2014, 11:39 PM
This thread is made for trolling... Real answer is no one knows but GOD...
Not anyone of us knows a thing what will happen in the future...
Funny there are many stupid psychics in here...

Crackadalic
09-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Depends what magic phil has when we have 25 million in cap space and a 1st rounder next season. Trading Jr/Pablo frees up 8 million so thats over 30 million to spend on the available cap space on players that can fit the triangle.

If Phil can do what he has to do I like Melo's chances on winning a ring soon

DemarDerozan
09-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Nope... Unless he tries some shady **** like TMac in 12-13. But Ray Allen destroyed that dream.

Tumstock
09-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Melo could have a Paul Pierce-esque ending to his career.

He can be the #1 option on a championship team, he is an elite scorer IMO.

But as the roster stands now, there's no way the knicks are winning a chip. The front office needs to work some magic and acquire another star to take some pressure off him, and I just don't like the way the team is constructed. Not nearly enough defense to support Melo and let him do what he does best.

Melo reminds me of a pre big 3 Pierce. Also, the Knicks are in a similar situation as the celtics were in 2007. But they don't have the accets to pull of what danny did back then.

dalton749
09-11-2014, 04:35 AM
Melo reminds me of a pre big 3 Pierce. Also, the Knicks are in a similar situation as the celtics were in 2007. But they don't have the accets to pull of what danny did back then.
Soooo, they aren't similar at all then?

deaner
09-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Depends what magic phil has when we have 25 million in cap space and a 1st rounder next season. Trading Jr/Pablo frees up 8 million so thats over 30 million to spend on the available cap space on players that can fit the triangle.

Only a Knicks fan would celebrate having an actual pick in the draft. You realize all teams have them right. Most of your fan base says you are winning 50 games so that puts your pick at 18 or so. Knick fans need to realize they only have 2 picks until 2018 and the draft is thier downfall. Every team in the nba will aquire better assets than them via the draft. You guys really need to look at what other teams are doing to get better instead of reading Melo lost 15 pounds so you are ready for a 'ship. You have spent your future to get to the 9th seed.

sixers247
09-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Reported for Religion

nycericanguy
09-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Only a Knicks fan would celebrate having an actual pick in the draft. You realize all teams have them right. Most of your fan base says you are winning 50 games so that puts your pick at 18 or so. Knick fans need to realize they only have 2 picks until 2018 and the draft is thier downfall. Every team in the nba will aquire better assets than them via the draft. You guys really need to look at what other teams are doing to get better instead of reading Melo lost 15 pounds so you are ready for a 'ship. You have spent your future to get to the 9th seed.

lol, there's a prediction thread in the Knick forum and literally like 3 posters out of 50 said we'd win 50 games...

#trollmath

mjm07
09-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Will CP3 ever win a ring? High probability. So yes.
Will Blake Griffin ever win a ring? Same as above.
Will Durant ever win a ring? higher probability. Yes.
Will DRose ever win a ring? Reaching the Finals year in year out? Very High Probability. Rings? Low. Not likely.
Will Steph Curry ever win a ring? Don't see with currently constructed team. NOT SAYING THEY'RE NOT GOOD, Just not championship caliber.
Will Harden and Dwight ever win a ring? yes, they have can.
Will Paul george win a ring? Right now, not likely. Moving foward? On the fence.
Will the raptors win a ring? Highly Unlikely. But a solid team nonetheless.

nycericanguy
09-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Will CP3 ever win a ring? High probability. So yes.
Will Blake Griffin ever win a ring? Same as above.
Will Durant ever win a ring? higher probability. Yes.
Will DRose ever win a ring? Reaching the Finals year in year out? Very High Probability. Rings? Low. Not likely.
Will Steph Curry ever win a ring? Don't see with currently constructed team. NOT SAYING THEY'RE NOT GOOD, Just not championship caliber.
Will Harden and Dwight ever win a ring? yes, they have can.
Will Paul george win a ring? Right now, not likely. Moving foward? On the fence.
Will the raptors win a ring? Highly Unlikely. But a solid team nonetheless.

Not even going to respond to the entire post but CP3 has only been out of the 1st round twice, and has never been past the second round. And he has some damn good players on his team.

Melo has led his teams further with less help, mind you he's never played with anyone anywhere near Blake's level... yet CP3 is "highly probable" to win a ring? Even though he's basically the same age as Melo?...lol

The bias is unreal.

If Melo ever gets someone like Blake on his team then his chances go up dramatically... we'll see what Phil can do with all the cap space next summer.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 12:42 PM

The lack of a Michael Jordan.

InRoseWeTrust
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
lol, there's a prediction thread in the Knick forum and literally like 3 posters out of 50 said we'd win 50 games...

#trollmath

Yeah, to be fair, I don't think most Knicks fans are expecting a 50+ win season. The ones that do expect 50+ are definitely more vocal about it, which probably skews everyones' perceptions.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-12-2014, 08:16 AM

No one wants JR Smith. Only way to dump him is add in Hardaway and Shumpert. Even then I doubt it.

nycericanguy
09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
No one wants JR Smith. Only way to dump him is add in Hardaway and Shumpert. Even then I doubt it.

Seeing some of the contracts being given out recently and with the cap and player salaries about to go up big time in 2016, JR is an absolute steal at $6m. He has some issues, but that's why he's making $6m instead of 8-10m.

I'm not a huge JR fan but he was damn good after he got back from the injury after the all star break last year .

Chances are he'll opt out after the season... why take a 1 year $6m deal when he can get 3-4 years at similar money on the open market?

Knicks don't need to trade him, they need him, and they certainly arent going to add THJR or Shump to trade him.

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 11:00 AM
This entire thread is premature. The reason is that no one knows what the Knicks will actually look like after next summer. You can base your next 7 years off of the current roster, or you could wait to see what happens.

With a ridiculous amount of Cap space next summer, the Knicks could sign FA or better yet trade for a high priced player that they really need.

Bottom line is that no one knows.

Speculating on the current team going into THIS year is understandable, but the rest of melo's contract with the Knicks? none of you know.

Would anyone have picked the Cav's to win it this coming season at this time last year?

The same question could have been asked last September, Will Irving or Love win a ring anytime soon? The answer would have been laughable, not anymre.

Knicks could be freakishly awesome next year.....we shall see

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 11:01 AM
As a matter of fact, no one was picking LeBron to win one this year until NOW. Amazing what one trade does to change things.

deaner
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
As a matter of fact, no one was picking LeBron to win one this year until NOW. Amazing what one trade does to change things.

Which could be said of any team, but heavily weighted to teams with assets.

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Which could be said of any team, but heavily weighted to teams with assets.

The thing is, the Knicks do have the assets. Maybe not the number one pick like the Cav's had, but they do have assets that if used in the right way can help create an incredible roster.

Don't bet against Phil Jackson here. He is one of the smartest men in the game. No one saw what Pat Riley pulled off in the summer of 2010. Everyone was waiting for Chicago, NY, and Cleveland to sign LeBron. Then BOOM the lure of Pat Riley, the Miami area and a "super team" shocked the world.

The thing is, NO ONE knows. Not you , not me, not anyone. So the idea of this thread is just plain idiocy. Because you can't say who exactly will be playing alongside carmelo Anthony after this season.

You think Amare is finished? So is his expensive contract at seasons end.
'You think Bargs is a waste of space? so is his expensive contract at seasons end.

If we listen to the Non-Knicks fans on PSD both of them are holding the Knicks back. Now their freed up $$ is a HUGE plus.

Say the Knicks are on pace to win 45 games at the deadline.....Is their a Kevin Love type guy available at that juncture in a trade for expiring contracts? Who knows? But it could very well happen. If this unknown player was an allstar......could the Knicks then shock the EC in the playoffs? Who knows?

But to say the Knicks will not win a title or contend for one in the next 5-6 years is absurd. Because no one knows.

mjm07
09-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Not even going to respond to the entire post but CP3 has only been out of the 1st round twice, and has never been past the second round. And he has some damn good players on his team.

Melo has led his teams further with less help, mind you he's never played with anyone anywhere near Blake's level... yet CP3 is "highly probable" to win a ring? Even though he's basically the same age as Melo?...lol

The bias is unreal.

If Melo ever gets someone like Blake on his team then his chances go up dramatically... we'll see what Phil can do with all the cap space next summer.

what Bias? Clips have a championship caliber team!

besides I don't disagree with your Melo cmts. Now Blake with Melo along with a good PG and Defensive C would definitely be championship material. But thats a fantasy at this point. Regardless, Melo is def talented enough to help lead a team to a 'ship. Wont do it in NY anytime soon with the team currently constructed.

mjm07
09-12-2014, 01:41 PM
The thing is, the Knicks do have the assets. Maybe not the number one pick like the Cav's had, but they do have assets that if used in the right way can help create an incredible roster.

Don't bet against Phil Jackson here. He is one of the smartest men in the game. No one saw what Pat Riley pulled off in the summer of 2010. Everyone was waiting for Chicago, NY, and Cleveland to sign LeBron. Then BOOM the lure of Pat Riley, the Miami area and a "super team" shocked the world.

The thing is, NO ONE knows. Not you , not me, not anyone. So the idea of this thread is just plain idiocy. Because you can't say who exactly will be playing alongside carmelo Anthony after this season.

'You think Bargs is a waste of space? so is his expensive contract at seasons end.

If we listen to the Non-Knicks fans on PSD both of them are holding the Knicks back. Now their freed up $$ is a HUGE plus.

Say the Knicks are on pace to win 45 games at the deadline.....Is their a Kevin Love type guy available at that juncture in a trade for expiring contracts? Who knows? But it could very well happen. If this unknown player was an allstar......could the Knicks then shock the EC in the playoffs? Who knows?

But to say the Knicks will not win a title or contend for one in the next 5-6 years is absurd. Because no one knows.

I'm not saying Phil won't be successful but Riley was already a very successful Exec way before 2010. Phil is a great coach. President/GM ( not sure his exact title) ? I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll turn the Knicks around but he's also never been in this position before.

PhillyFaninLA
09-12-2014, 01:48 PM

I'm sorry you're sad because people are offering an opinion on a message board about a player on your team

deaner
09-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Expiring mean very little in comparison to other years. You have the cap significantly expanding in the next two years. You will need additional assets added to expirings and that is where the Knicks are stuck. No one wanted Shump at the deadline or this summer. THJR is still unproven. Knicks have no tradable picks or stashes. You realize love went for two top picks in back to back drafts... But coach Phil is going to rock the nba with a lopsided trade of waste of space players on big deals?? Phil has proven nothing yet to say he's greater than the GM mean. Depending on your take on Galloway and Wear.

nycericanguy
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
what Bias? Clips have a championship caliber team!

besides I don't disagree with your Melo cmts. Now Blake with Melo along with a good PG and Defensive C would definitely be championship material. But thats a fantasy at this point. Regardless, Melo is def talented enough to help lead a team to a 'ship. Wont do it in NY anytime soon with the team currently constructed.

THey do, and yet CP3 can't get out of the 2nd round. yet he's looked at as a god on PSD. And you yourself said it's "highly probably" he'll win a ring... based on what? If he can't do it with this team how much help is he going to need? It's not like he's come close to winning one, he's never ever been in an WCF.

Yet Melo, who has led his teams to nearly a 60% winning percentage over his career... is looked at as some loser who will never win a ring and because he missed the playoffs ONE time, now all of sudden he will struggle to lead his team to even a .500 record.

Who knows what NY will be constructed like anyway, we all know the goal is 2015 and that team will look drastically different. Melo doesnt get enough credit for doing what he does alone, where as the other stars like CP3, Durant...etc.. get a pass for not winning even when they have TONS of help.

I mean look at who Durant has played with, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, all in their primes... Melo has never had guys like that.

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Expiring mean very little in comparison to other years. You have the cap significantly expanding in the next two years. You will need additional assets added to expirings and that is where the Knicks are stuck. No one wanted Shump at the deadline or this summer. THJR is still unproven. Knicks have no tradable picks or stashes. You realize love went for two top picks in back to back drafts... But coach Phil is going to rock the nba with a lopsided trade of waste of space players on big deals?? Phil has proven nothing yet to say he's greater than the GM mean. Depending on your take on Galloway and Wear.

You don't know that No one wanted Shump, maybe they didn't want him at the price the Knicks were asking. If Shump was released, every team in the NBA would want him.
You call THJ "Unproven" then talk about last years Number one pick as an asset.
To be honest, wiggins is still an unknown as well. But THJ is more of an asset right now than the 2013 #1 pick traded to Minny in the Love deal.

Expirings at the deadline have a lot more worth than they do right now. If not, the mass amount of money under the cap will serve the Knicks well.

deaner
09-12-2014, 02:57 PM
You don't know that No one wanted Shump, maybe they didn't want him at the price the Knicks were asking. If Shump was released, every team in the NBA would want him.
To be honest, wiggins is still an unknown as well. But THJ is more of an asset right now than the 2013 #1 pick traded to Minny in the Love deal.

Expirings at the deadline have a lot more worth than they do right now. If not, the mass amount of money under the cap will serve the Knicks well.

Meh. Nothing that NY has is appealing IMO. What star wants to go play in Ny and never see the ball. Unless Melo and JR really change and the triangle is truly develops I think the Knicks will be thought of as a place to go if nothing else opens up and you prefer money to winning. Time will tell. Either of is could be right. I just think the other teams in the league don't want to help the Knicks as much as you and others think.

InRoseWeTrust
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Reported for Religion

I somewhat agreed with (the majority of) your post until we got to this point. You don't lend Kevin Love, or a Love-esque player, or any player even worthy of being in the same discussion with him, via only expiring contracts. That's not going to happen.

mjm07
09-12-2014, 05:03 PM
THey do, and yet CP3 can't get out of the 2nd round. yet he's looked at as a god on PSD. And you yourself said it's "highly probably" he'll win a ring... based on what? If he can't do it with this team how much help is he going to need? It's not like he's come close to winning one, he's never ever been in an WCF.

Yet Melo, who has led his teams to nearly a 60% winning percentage over his career... is looked at as some loser who will never win a ring and because he missed the playoffs ONE time, now all of sudden he will struggle to lead his team to even a .500 record.

Who knows what NY will be constructed like anyway, we all know the goal is 2015 and that team will look drastically different. Melo doesnt get enough credit for doing what he does alone, where as the other stars like CP3, Durant...etc.. get a pass for not winning even when they have TONS of help.

I mean look at who Durant has played with, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, all in their primes... Melo has never had guys like that.

Based on the fact that the Clips have a really good team. Knicks are playoffs team at most. Higher probably of them winning it all than your Knicks if you want me to be even more specific. Dude relax. I'm not hating on Melo. Great scorer, superstar. Hopefully Phil can build a good team around. Enjoy

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Meh. Nothing that NY has is appealing IMO. What star wants to go play in Ny and never see the ball. Unless Melo and JR really change and the triangle is truly develops I think the Knicks will be thought of as a place to go if nothing else opens up and you prefer money to winning. Time will tell. Either of is could be right. I just think the other teams in the league don't want to help the Knicks as much as you and others think.

This quote shows your obvious distaste for the Knicks. I'm ok with that but lets call it what it is. Bias.

deaner
09-12-2014, 06:05 PM
This quote shows your obvious distaste for the Knicks. I'm ok with that but lets call it what it is. Bias.

I'm not sure how you can read that into that quote.

Captain Moroni
09-12-2014, 06:31 PM
I somewhat agreed with (the majority of) your post until we got to this point. You don't lend Kevin Love, or a Love-esque player, or any player even worthy of being in the same discussion with him, via only expiring contracts. That's not going to happen.

i should have been more desccriptive. Obviously no one is trading an allstar for expiring contracts. It would take draft picks and young players as well.

IDunknown
09-12-2014, 08:47 PM

It was being reported that there were trades on the table (OkC, or Clippers),but he got injured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHSWLRN7zSE

IDunknown
09-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure how you can read that into that quote.

It's biased because you're assuming they won't run the system. By the nature of the system the ball should move.

FOBolous
09-12-2014, 08:53 PM
if he had went to Chicago or Houston...yea.

deaner
09-12-2014, 08:57 PM
It's biased because you're assuming they won't run the system. By the nature of the system the ball should move.

Both players have proven to be top 20 in ball hogs throughout their careers. I think you are biased to think they can transform their game. Which pattern of thought is further from the truth???? Come on. Think about it.

IDunknown
09-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Both players have proven to be top 20 in ball hogs throughout their careers. I think you are biased to think they can transform their game. Which pattern of thought is further from the truth???? Come on. Think about it.

Yes I am biased also. I believe they will follow the game plan, you don't.

Bartlee23
09-12-2014, 09:17 PM
This entire thread is premature. The reason is that no one knows what the Knicks will actually look like after next summer. You can base your next 7 years off of the current roster, or you could wait to see what happens.

With a ridiculous amount of Cap space next summer, the Knicks could sign FA or better yet trade for a high priced player that they really need.

Bottom line is that no one knows.

Speculating on the current team going into THIS year is understandable, but the rest of melo's contract with the Knicks? none of you know.

Would anyone have picked the Cav's to win it this coming season at this time last year?

The same question could have been asked last September, Will Irving or Love win a ring anytime soon? The answer would have been laughable, not anymre.

Knicks could be freakishly awesome next year.....we shall see

Not sure how old you are but Chicago after winning their second three peat decided to break the team up and had a " ridiculous amount of cap space " yet no one wanted to come play for their team. That have won nothing since then. They've had years of cap space trying to get Tracy McGrady,Tim Duncan.etc to come play for the team but cap space doesn't amount to much unless you're bringing in a person who wants to be with the team for a good reason.

I don't see New York getting Gasol , Durant, etc so I would be curious to know who is this player or players that are going to want to come play with Carmelo and a very average to be kind team? " Freakishly awesome " is definitely not the way I would be describing them.

Captain Moroni
09-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Not sure how old you are but Chicago after winning their second three peat decided to break the team up and had a " ridiculous amount of cap space " yet no one wanted to come play for their team. That have won nothing since then. They've had years of cap space trying to get Tracy McGrady,Tim Duncan.etc to come play for the team but cap space doesn't amount to much unless you're bringing in a person who wants to be with the team for a good reason.

I don't see New York getting Gasol , Durant, etc so I would be curious to know who is this player or players that are going to want to come play with Carmelo and a very average to be kind team? " Freakishly awesome " is definitely not the way I would be describing them.

difference in chicago was that MJ was no longer there. You also have to understand the difference in NBA players from the Jordan Era to now. Not your daddys NBA.
Knicks have a lot more than scrubs left over after Amare and Bargs leave. 2 players who get zero respect anyways.

I said knicks "could" be freakishly awesome. It's impossible to disagree with "could" be because we dont have any idea yet. unless you have a crystal ball. You are just guessing. I on the other hand am hoping.

The draw of playing under the bright lights of NYC under Phil Jackson will draw stars like moths to a flame. It aint Chicago.

Captain Moroni
09-13-2014, 07:04 AM

I would like to know what formula you used to come up with your "proven" fact? would that be top 20 alltime, top 20 right now or top 20 in the last 20 years? What are you basing these facts on? You saw a game and they shot the ball a lot?
Is Micheal Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Karl Malone on that list as well? They sure hoisted a ton of shots....
Durrant, LeBron, and Rose have to be on there as well......no?
give me a formula I will do the math for you.

mightybosstone
09-13-2014, 10:02 AM
How many threads do we need asking this question? It's been done at least once this offseason already. We didn't need to see it again. Can't we come up with anything else better than this to talk about?

c.c.
09-13-2014, 10:06 AM
if he had went to chicago or houston...yea.

x2

Bartlee23
09-13-2014, 10:46 AM
difference in chicago was that MJ was no longer there. You also have to understand the difference in NBA players from the Jordan Era to now. Not your daddys NBA.
Knicks have a lot more than scrubs left over after Amare and Bargs leave. 2 players who get zero respect anyways.

I said knicks "could" be freakishly awesome. It's impossible to disagree with "could" be because we dont have any idea yet. unless you have a crystal ball. You are just guessing. I on the other hand am hoping.

The draw of playing under the bright lights of NYC under Phil Jackson will draw stars like moths to a flame. It aint Chicago.

You couldn't be more wrong. Jordan retired for the second time and if they kept the same team, Jordan's 30 million contract would of been gone but it doesn't mean " cap space " is the key to anything.

Who are the players who are " more than scrubs " besides Hardaway JR? I see a very average team skill wise and a one all-star team.

I'm not disagreeing with your "could" be but IMO I don't see New York landing any of the top free agents regardless of Phil Jackson being there. He's not the coach. The " bright lights of NYC " may mean a lot to you and New York fans but I haven't seen too many free agents flocking there.

You're right " it ain't Chicago " they've actually won something in the past 40 years.

Captain Moroni
09-13-2014, 03:40 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Jordan retired for the second time and if they kept the same team, Jordan's 30 million contract would of been gone but it doesn't mean " cap space " is the key to anything.

Who are the players who are " more than scrubs " besides Hardaway JR? I see a very average team skill wise and a one all-star team.

I'm not disagreeing with your "could" be but IMO I don't see New York landing any of the top free agents regardless of Phil Jackson being there. He's not the coach. The " bright lights of NYC " may mean a lot to you and New York fans but I haven't seen too many free agents flocking there.

You're right " it ain't Chicago " they've actually won something in the past 40 years.

The difference if you are following the conversation is that Carmelo Anthony the superstar will still be on the Knicks, when Micheal Jordan the Superstar had left the bulls. There was nothing left in Chicago except role players.

New York returns Anthony, and also returns Hardaway, JR Smith, Shumpert, Calderon, and whoever else asserts themselves this year.

What happened when Jordan left after the first 3 rings? How many NBA finals did the Bulls attend as players? Yet when the "Superstar" player returned....3 more rings in a row. We are not talking abo0ut the bulls with MJ and 30 million in cap space. If that were the case they would have won 2 more.

We are however talking about MEGA cap space AND a superstar still in NY in his prime.

Apples and Oranges.

Bartlee23
09-13-2014, 04:19 PM
The difference if you are following the conversation is that Carmelo Anthony the superstar will still be on the Knicks, when Micheal Jordan the Superstar had left the bulls. There was nothing left in Chicago except role players.

New York returns Anthony, and also returns Hardaway, JR Smith, Shumpert, Calderon, and whoever else asserts themselves this year.

What happened when Jordan left after the first 3 rings? How many NBA finals did the Bulls attend as players? Yet when the "Superstar" player returned....3 more rings in a row. We are not talking abo0ut the bulls with MJ and 30 million in cap space. If that were the case they would have won 2 more.

We are however talking about MEGA cap space AND a superstar still in NY in his prime.

Apples and Oranges.

" Michael "

Followed the conversation just fine. I was putting out an example which you just don't understand. I still am waiting for the list of players who are " more than scrubs " and all these free agents that will be flocking to NYC to play for Phil and the big bright lights?

Judging from your answers you have obviously not been alive to see New York win anything and it's great that you have good hope with your team. My answer to the question is no, I don't see New York going anywhere, anytime soon.

As far as answering your other questions the number of rings the Bulls won were the same amount New York has won in your lifetime.

Again you don't seem to understand my example. If Jordan retires the second time and Chicago actually has cap space you're telling me a team of Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc,Kerr,Harper,etc are all just " role players " and couldn't have added a piece or two to the team to compete? Most of those guys went to other teams and were successful. Hardaway, Smith,Shump and Calderon are average players at best.

Get back to me next season when New York has their " MEGA cap space " and everyone is lining up to put on the New York uniform and play with a superstar that's won nothing,on the wrong side of 30 and playing in a conference with Lebron.

HeatFan
09-13-2014, 05:10 PM
I watch Melo and sometimes think he is a great player with championship ability and sometimes don't understand why he can't take it to another level. I've come to the conclusion that he is only capable of spectacular individual performances but really no team accomplishments that are of significant value. Although spectacular individual performances are entertaining and he does get respect amongst peers, his team skills are not sufficient to take a team very far. Granted he hasn't had the best teams some of the other elite players have, there may be a reason other stars don't mesh well with Melo. Not that Jeremy Lin is a superstar (don't get me wrong), but when Lin went on a roll and NY was winning, it all went down the drain the minute Melo returned from injury. That kind of shows you that Melo has some chemistry issues, regardless of who is on the floor with him. In college he was a beast and overmatched most opponents, but not in the NBA.

I would like to see him on the Knicks with a good roster to compete in the east playoffs and make series against Cleveland, Indiana (when George returns), Chicago and Miami competitive, like a Derrick Rose does for Chicago when healthy, where the superstars take over at the end. However, I question if we'll ever see this happen and age will soon start kicking in.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Not as the leader of a team and not with Mike D'Antoni as coach.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Melo is the type of player that requires a top class PG (who does PG stuff mostly) in order to become part of a winning team and be surrounded by defensive minded role players who can shoot an open 3 and putbacks (guards + bigs respectively)

We'll have to wait and see how he'll react to the new system but imo he's a high post, isolation player and isn't surrounded by the players necessary.

What he said. Carmelo Anthony's team will have to be set up like Allen Iverson's was during his NBA Finals run.
I think Eric Bledsoe would be a great fit for New York. He's not an elite point guard, per se. But he plays really god defense, gets to the basket and can pass the ball pretty well.
Even adding Bledsoe, though, wouldn't really make New York relevent. It won't happen until Amare Stoudemire is off the books at the end of this year.
Ultimately, I think Anthony will have to accept being the best scorer on the team, but not the leader. He hasn't proven very adept at that. Getting rid of Stoudemire's contract will help find a leader, but who knows who that would be.

Confusious
09-14-2014, 01:35 AM
Could have multiplied his chances had he just signed with Chicago instead of NY. I think he solidified the fact that money is more important than championships.

Not something many of us can disagree with, but it makes threads like this rather redundant.