PDA

View Full Version : Fiba 2014

tredigs
09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I realize it has a forum, but unfortunately nobody goes there and this is a pretty big tournament that nobody is talking about (other than Harden's D and the Haka).

Here's the FIBA homepage to get caught up if you haven't checked it out. It's just about to start getting good. http://www.fiba.com/spain2014

tredigs
09-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure that the US will be favored in the match V Spain. They're looking very nice and the Gasol Bro's + Ibaka look filthy and pose major problems for the squad. Both 5-0 currently.

Htownballa1622
09-04-2014, 10:11 PM
The US is shooting terrible from 3. Aside from Faried's hustle and Anthony Davis ballin some quarters, the U.s. looks blah.

The officiating is annoying too. They do get some travels correct that Nba misses but others aren't. They also make silly calls then let other things go. Refs are inconsistent imo.

Overall, US should win based off of talent but I could definitely see them lose if they play iso ball taking terrible shots.

Spain is very cohesive.

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Spain is very capable of beating the USA

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 01:33 AM
This USA team doesn't seem too strong IMO. They seem too complacent and lack a veteran presence. From what I know, Faried and Davis are the two best performers and Faried has been amazing. I really hope he becomes the MIP player next season. Dude is like Joakim Noah on steroids.

NYKalltheway
09-05-2014, 06:12 AM
The USA has a clear path to the final... It's always the case. The other route has France, Spain, Argentina, Greece, Serbia, Brazil... the USA has to face a subpar Slovenia and one of two bad teams in Turkey and Lithuania. The fact that it might not face either of these teams when on paper they should be winning their ties just shows how favored the group draw was for the USA.

I don't understand this treatment. The USA are favorites without having easy draws but it seems that they always get an easy one in this tournament every time.

PurpleLynch
09-05-2014, 07:42 AM
We all know that Spain is the only team that can stop Us team. They look very cohesive this year and Us selection is very young(without veteran also),so they could do this imo. But we'll see,Davis+Faried+Cousins(also Drummond) vs Gasol brothers+Ibaka+Reyes should be awesome.

MonroeFAN
09-05-2014, 08:48 AM
I think I'll follow it this year. After re-reading through my comments in the Haka topic I'm pretty ashamed of myself and could stand to gain a bit of cultural exposure.

Spain looks like to have a pretty dominant big man rotation. (edit: roster in general).

Sly Guy
09-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I think I'll follow it this year. After re-reading through my comments in the Haka topic I'm pretty ashamed of myself and could stand to gain a bit of cultural exposure.

Spain looks like to have a pretty dominant big man rotation. (edit: roster in general).

I didn't get involved with that, but actually, that's very big of you. Probably an internet first, good on'ya brother.

Darryl Dawkins
09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
The games are WAY too quick. they last like 25 minutes like the trounament league just wants to get them over with.
Make em 48 minutes. That will fix a lot of the interest. Also play with an NBA style ball.

sixers247
09-05-2014, 11:43 AM
The games are WAY too quick. they last like 25 minutes like the trounament league just wants to get them over with.
Make em 48 minutes. That will fix a lot of the interest. Also play with an NBA style ball.

Moses Malone you will be banned soon lol.

Chronz
09-05-2014, 12:19 PM
The USA has a clear path to the final... It's always the case. The other route has France, Spain, Argentina, Greece, Serbia, Brazil... the USA has to face a subpar Slovenia and one of two bad teams in Turkey and Lithuania. The fact that it might not face either of these teams when on paper they should be winning their ties just shows how favored the group draw was for the USA.

I don't understand this treatment. The USA are favorites without having easy draws but it seems that they always get an easy one in this tournament every time.

Treatment? Its not like teams dont know ahead of time how these seedings unfold. You have teams tanking to AVOID USA and you want to talk about the road to the Finals? LMFAO.

USA just wins, its the rest of the world that cares about the road they take. Well except for Spain, IIRC, I remember when they lost any chance at a medal because they took the high road and decided it best to take on the USA early in the tournament, USA was like the 2nd or 3rd seed in their group or something

HoopsDrive
09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I hate the fact that Brazil has to face Argentina in the round of 16 once again. The close wins against France and Serbia have given me some hope for a deep run but getting our nemesis right off the bat is not a good proposition. Our big rotation is solid though with Nene-Splitter and Varejao as the 6th man. If we can just get past Argentina, I think we have a pretty good shot at the semis and with some luck France beats Spain so that match is easier too.

I'm just thankful Manu is not gonna suit up for them.

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2014, 01:58 PM
USA guards will have a whale of a time guarding Spain's players. It's not ISO ball, it's ball/player movement that will kill harden and Irving

Ariza's Better
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I like Australia's spot right now. Turky is beatable and Australia has already beaten Lithuania. Could be playing for 3rd which would be a huge achievement when you take into account their missing Mills and Bogut.

IKnowHoops
09-06-2014, 12:25 AM

Dude, people don't want to play the US. They would all rather play each other. Teams loose on purpose just so they don't have to play the US. Its actually more fair to allow the teams that have a chance to at least take second place to battle it out among themselves.

JLynn943
09-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Right now, I think we're going to lose to Spain. I don't trust the guards at all.

tredigs
09-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Today it was our starting bigs that struggled a bit more. Nothing much offensively and Gustavo Ayon was doing work out there for Mexico.

On a side note it's super disappointing to see Rose like this out there, I think he's done playing any meaningful minutes in the tourny. The guards killed 'em today though; easy win into the quarters.

NYKalltheway
09-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Who tanked to avoid the USA?

Also, Spain's treatment in European and even world basketball is also becoming disgusting. Did the refs really need to act this way against Senegal in a 35 point game?

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:49 PM
lol at those who think Spain can beat team usa... sorry but Spain is about 3 players deep and over rated for ratings purposes. Team usa has no real compition and they didnt even bring their best players.

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Right now, I think we're going to lose to Spain. I don't trust the guards at all.

lol because spain has better gaurds :rolleyes: lmao . . .

JLynn943
09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
lol because spain has better gaurds :rolleyes: lmao . . .
They don't, but I don't think our guards play smart enough. Spain is a smart team.

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 08:12 PM
They don't, but I don't think our guards play smart enough. Spain is a smart team.

Ill take curry and harden over what ever smart back court pairing they have.

JLynn943
09-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Ill take curry and harden over what ever smart back court pairing they have.
Rubio and Rudy Fernandez I think? They do have good players.

beasted86
09-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Rubio and Rudy Fernandez I think? They do have good players.
Those are good players? :confused:

JLynn943
09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Those are good players? :confused:
Their team is good. I don't understand why that's being debated.

ThuglifeJ
09-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Sorry but I can't find a legit schedule for the upcoming games anywhere with US time zones..

Can someone tell me when we play the next key games? Specifically vs Spain.

sciferguy
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Ayon showing Davis' low post weakness against decent footwork. I was a bit surprised how weak he looked and how good Ayon looked. Might find a job in the NBA.

Ariza's Better
09-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Who tanked to avoid the USA?

Australia for 1. Basically threw the game against Angola. Now they have a great chance to finish third in this tournament.

todu82
09-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Really wish Canada had a better basketball team nationally, whatever though think this is the American's tournament to lose.

NYKalltheway
09-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Australia for 1. Basically threw the game against Angola. Now they have a great chance to finish third in this tournament.

That's the only one though. They need to beat Turkey though first (Who I think they'll beat) and Lithuania, if serious, can cause trouble.

I'm not saying teams wouldn't tank to avoid the USA, but nobody really had to other than Australia, who being so good in the group stage was a bit of a surprise in the first place.

Ariza's Better
09-07-2014, 09:02 AM
That's the only one though. They need to beat Turkey though first (Who I think they'll beat) and Lithuania, if serious, can cause trouble.

I'm not saying teams wouldn't tank to avoid the USA, but nobody really had to other than Australia, who being so good in the group stage was a bit of a surprise in the first place.
That is true. Also are people suprised Australia did well in the group stages? We have a strong even without mills and bogut.

MrfadeawayJB
09-07-2014, 10:01 AM
lol at those who think Spain can beat team usa... sorry but Spain is about 3 players deep and over rated for ratings purposes. Team usa has no real compition and they didnt even bring their best players.

Have you even watched Spain? They might only have an advantage at 1-2 positions at any given lineup, but they are a very cohesive TEAM. Nobodies saying they can beat team USA as individuals, but as a team, it's very possible. These guys move around, move the ball, make extra passes, make passes before the guy even came through the screen...etc. great execution is hard to stop. And don't act like the talent is that far off, almost every player on Spain's team has or can play in the NBA

MrfadeawayJB
09-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Ayon showing Davis' low post weakness against decent footwork. I was a bit surprised how weak he looked and how good Ayon looked. Might find a job in the NBA.

Spurs showed interest

MrfadeawayJB
09-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Sorry but I can't find a legit schedule for the upcoming games anywhere with US time zones..

Can someone tell me when we play the next key games? Specifically vs Spain.

Wouldn't meet Spain until the championship. All games are available on espn3.com

NYKalltheway
09-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Greece is pleasantly athletic in this tournament.

First time we've seen a relatively athletic Greece team since the late 80s. Defense is bad though today.

Ariza's Better
09-07-2014, 04:24 PM
And that's it for Australia. My two biggest concerns, free throws and coaching came back to bite us.

HoopsDrive
09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Sweet, got past Argentina :nod:

I realize they're aged and depleted but heck if I care about that, after 2 straight losses in 2010 and 2012 we finally got one.

We already beat Serbia in the groups so let's just repeat the dose and hopefully through to the semis.

Something to note is that every team from group A advanced.

NYKalltheway
09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Never underestimate those Serbs in a knockout stage :D Our team did and you saw the results (and were easily outcoached)

HoopsDrive
09-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Never underestimate those Serbs in a knockout stage :D Our team did and you saw the results (and were easily outcoached)

I watched part of the Serbia-Greece match, Bogdanovic was the 6th man but still ended up top scorer. Kalinic and Raduljica also impressed me. Competitive match until the 3rd when the Serbs started to get away.

I wonder why Koufos wasn't in your guys' roster?

5ass
09-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Ayon is a decent back up. He played well for the magic, and its weird he's still a free agent. Cavs have to go sign him.

NYKalltheway
09-08-2014, 07:12 AM
I watched part of the Serbia-Greece match, Bogdanovic was the 6th man but still ended up top scorer. Kalinic and Raduljica also impressed me. Competitive match until the 3rd when the Serbs started to get away.

I wonder why Koufos wasn't in your guys' roster?

Koufos did not want to join the team.

tredigs
09-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Serbia just absolutely dismantled Brazil in the quarterfinal round (Nene+Barbosa+Varajao+Splitter combined 9 for 31...).

Spain V France now. France off to the 11-2 jump but Spain's waking up.

HoopsDrive
09-10-2014, 04:14 PM
That 3rd quarter killed us. There wasn't any consistency to our game during the whole preparation to and during this competition, managed to play well in some matches and go ghost in others. Very dangerous to walk that line in short tourneys like FIBA.

kobe4thewinbang
09-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I realize it has a forum, but unfortunately nobody goes there and this is a pretty big tournament that nobody is talking about (other than Harden's D and the Haka).

Here's the FIBA homepage to get caught up if you haven't checked it out. It's just about to start getting good. http://www.fiba.com/spain2014Nobody's talking about it because it's about as interesting as watching paint sit in the can. All those international teams suck. Nobody cares about blowouts, and yes I've seen every boring headline on NBA.com about this 'tournament.'

tredigs
09-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Nobody's talking about it because it's about as interesting as watching paint sit in the can. All those international teams suck. Nobody cares about blowouts, and yes I've seen every boring headline on NBA.com about this 'tournament.'

Haha buddy, nobody has ever wondered your opinion, I'm not sure why you're offering it. You don't care about the Worlds in the NBA dead zone? Awesome -- back to your vaseline and Kobe posters.

That 3rd quarter killed us. There wasn't any consistency to our game during the whole preparation to and during this competition, managed to play well in some matches and go ghost in others. Very dangerous to walk that line in short tourneys like FIBA.

I only caught the 4th quarter -- disappointing to say the least. I wanted them moving on after the win over Argentina.

35-28 at the half. The Gasol's and Ibaka just have not been exploiting the post like they did in the prior games I've seen. This should be a good 2nd half. Imagine if Spain does not reach the finals @ home? Yikes.

InRoseWeTrust
09-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Really want Spain to pick it up and win this game - was looking forward to a USA-Spain final like most.

DaBUU
09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Pau is going to be such an upgrade

Chronz
09-10-2014, 05:18 PM
That lob to Rudy just now..... .

tredigs
09-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Pau is going to be such an upgrade

Kobe-less Pau with some freedom is a monster. Handcuffs are off when he plays for Spain, it'll be interesting to see how that translates in Chi.

1 pt Spain lead going into the 4th... much different Spanish team in the 3rd, but France's d is still forcing them into tough perimeter shots more often than not.

Htownballa1622
09-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Boris Diaw was almost out the league. Almost every team could've gotten him.

He's ballin!

tredigs
09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Woww what a shot by Pau - then Heurtel! This would be Spain's toughest loss... ever?

kdspurman
09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Just imagine if Parker & Noah were with France. Thought this would be close but didn't think France would steal it

tredigs
09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
I think France gets full ownership of the Basque region for this win.

Chronz
09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Hurt'em Hurtel?

Did not see this coming. France is good and all but I thought they had no chance without Noah/TP. Man that Gobert kid is crazy long, looks like he bulked up some this year.

Htownballa1622
Upset time.

DaBUU
wow upset

tredigs
09-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Double digit French win as we all predicted.

SPURSFAN1
09-10-2014, 05:45 PM
lol

Htownballa1622
09-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Every time I see Rudy Gobert, I think of Ryan Hollins.

Hopefully more Gobert will make me forget that comparison.

He played well.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-10-2014, 05:46 PM
That Faried guy is pretty damn good.

MiamiBoy77
09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Down goes Spain!!!!!!!

JEDean89
09-10-2014, 05:50 PM
WOW! Now can all the reporters and "experts" who keep bringing up team USA's flaws but expect The Gasol brothers to carry the Spaniards to a Gold metal stfu? Our team is so much more talented than the Spanish team it's absolutely ridiculous.

tredigs
09-10-2014, 05:57 PM
WOW! Now can all the reporters and "experts" who keep bringing up team USA's flaws but expect The Gasol brothers to carry the Spaniards to a Gold metal stfu? Our team is so much more talented than the Spanish team it's absolutely ridiculous.

Even getting to Monday night QB here I would not necessarily say we're clearly better than Spain, though. We're yet to play a team anywhere near as good as Serbia/France/Spain or even Brazil yet, who were all in the same group. A team playing at home (with MUCH more PT together) who have talent like Calderon and Ibaka on the bench was clearly a threat to our mostly 2nd tier roster. Guess we won't find out, though.

arlubas
09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
The biggest surprise of the whole tournament and a major reality check for the Spaniards.

PurpleLynch
09-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Very unexpected...that's why you mods shouldn't have banned Hellcrooner...It would be fun listening to him after that game against France. ahhah

Chronz
09-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Yes, un ban the croon so we can get his input on this single matter.

HoopsDrive
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm furious right now... if Spain had made it through I wouldn't be all that upset with losing in the quarters cuz I don't think Brazil matches up well against them. But France is another story, with TP out we were competitive against them in the groups.

Iron24th
09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Very unexpected...that's why you mods shouldn't have banned Hellcrooner...It would be fun listening to him after that game against France. ahhah

I would like to as well, last year he said that spain missed gasol when we beat them, tonight we missed parker, noah, pietrus, de colo, mahinmi and still beat theam at full strenght on their home loool

Croonie come back here please! I just want to discuss lol

JEDean89
09-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Even getting to Monday night QB here I would not necessarily say we're clearly better than Spain, though. We're yet to play a team anywhere near as good as Serbia/France/Spain or even Brazil yet, who were all in the same group. A team playing at home (with MUCH more PT together) who have talent like Calderon and Ibaka on the bench was clearly a threat to our mostly 2nd tier roster. Guess we won't find out, though.

ooo calderon and ibaka off the bench? omg! we have d-rose, klay thompson, rudy gay and demarcus cousins coming off our bench. who's their PG? Ricky Rubio? Please tell me more about how he isn't 2nd tier. US has 2-3 players better than Ibaka (Rose, Curry, Davis), and we have tons of guys better than the Gasol bro's.

kdspurman
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
ooo calderon and ibaka off the bench? omg! we have d-rose, klay thompson, rudy gay and demarcus cousins coming off our bench. who's their PG? Ricky Rubio? Please tell me more about how he isn't 2nd tier. US has 2-3 players better than Ibaka (Rose, Curry, Davis), and we have tons of guys better than the Gasol bro's.

names aren't everything... sometimes chemistry beats star power. Spain would have been a tough out for the US.

SPURSFAN1
09-10-2014, 07:01 PM
I liked the part where spain kept chucking threes. lol

InRoseWeTrust
09-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I don't think its fair to call our roster "2nd tier", at least as it pertains to international competition. It may be "2nd tier" in terms of NBA talent (i.e. lacking LeBron, KD, etc.), but it has easily the most pure talent of any roster in the tournament.

Iron24th
09-10-2014, 07:26 PM
USA is by far the most talented and athletic team of the tournament, they would have eaten spain alive and will win gold medal, no question about that.

kdspurman
09-10-2014, 08:27 PM
USA is by far the most talented and athletic team of the tournament, they would have eaten spain alive and will win gold medal, no question about that.

I think if France was whole, they would have been a tougher opponent than Spain.

kobe4thewinbang
09-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Haha buddy, nobody has ever wondered your opinion, I'm not sure why you're offering it. You don't care about the Worlds in the NBA dead zone? Awesome -- back to your vaseline and Kobe posters.What, did I miss some lame foreign team score 60 points total? Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

My opinion > Your opinion >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sleep >>>>> FIBA

USA already won the gold medal a few years ago. Who cares if they win again....? They should always win, given that they're paid millions to shoot a ball in a hoop and easily superior compared to these foreign nobodies.

Iron24th
09-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I think if France was whole, they would have been a tougher opponent than Spain.

True, a lineup of

Noah
Diaw
Batum
Gelabale
Parker

is intriguing, but still not on USA's level, and I'm not even talking USA at full strenght with guys like durant, lebron & co

JEDean89
09-11-2014, 12:24 AM
names aren't everything... sometimes chemistry beats star power. Spain would have been a tough out for the US.

obviously spain would have posed a threat but team USA has been underrated this entire tournament by the media. just because durant lebron and melo aren't playing doesn't mean that rose, davis curry and harden aren't all just as good if not better than anyone on any other team. In fact I can make an argument that team USA has the better frontcourt also as I believe Davis and Cousins are better than the Gasol brosl.

Obviously chemistry plays a massive role but that is exactly what team usa hasl. sure guys miss shots sometimes and have bad games but anyone on the team is capable of being the best player on the floor any given night. No other team is a stacked or as deep in talent.

I think this team is great because everyone of these players should have an excellent season coming into next year. If you want solid fantasy picks, look to this team. Plumlee, Faried, Thompson, DeRozan, Gay, Rose, Davis, all of these guys I expect to have great seasons.

SPURSFAN1
09-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Here come all the "told you so's". lol

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 08:42 AM
USA already won the gold medal a few years ago. Who cares if they win again....?
:facepalm:

So, because a country wins a gold medal at something once, that country and its athletes should just stop giving a **** every chance they get in the future to win another? That's horrible, indefensible logic. Once Michael Phelps won his first Olympic gold medal, I suppose he should have just quit swimming altogether. Also, your logic is flawed in that half the players on this Team USA did not participate in the last Olympics or World Cup. AND it's worth noting that for all of the U.S. dominance in basketball, they have won only one gold medal in the last four World Cups and only four golds in 16 tournaments since the World Cup began in 1950.

They should always win, given that they're paid millions to shoot a ball in a hoop and easily superior compared to these foreign nobodies.
This just goes beyond stupid. You are aware that there are teams with multiple NBA players on the roster, right? And that players who play in Europe still get "paid millions to shoot a ball in a hoop?" Your ignorance is mind-boggling. Instead of insulting the tournament with your remarkably ignorant comments, why don't you do yourself a favor and just stay out of this conversation?

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 08:46 AM

I don't know that that's necessarily true. As much as the underdog France story intrigues me, I really, really wanted to see Spain against this younger, inexperienced Team USA. I do think France can still challenge the U.S. if they bring their A game like they did against Spain, but I think their chances to upset Team USA are significantly slimmer than Spain's would have been.

72 Wins
09-11-2014, 09:34 AM
I don't know that that's necessarily true. As much as the underdog France story intrigues me, I really, really wanted to see Spain against this younger, inexperienced Team USA. I do think France can still challenge the U.S. if they bring their A game like they did against Spain, but I think their chances to upset Team USA are significantly slimmer than Spain's would have been.

+1

Iron24th
09-11-2014, 10:36 AM

We beat Spain because of our suffocating defense, and I do think USA's defense is better, this Spanish team wasn't impressive at all imo, they just met nobodies before meeting us.

kdspurman
09-11-2014, 11:01 AM
obviously spain would have posed a threat but team USA has been underrated this entire tournament by the media. just because durant lebron and melo aren't playing doesn't mean that rose, davis curry and harden aren't all just as good if not better than anyone on any other team. In fact I can make an argument that team USA has the better frontcourt also as I believe Davis and Cousins are better than the Gasol brosl.

Obviously chemistry plays a massive role but that is exactly what team usa hasl. sure guys miss shots sometimes and have bad games but anyone on the team is capable of being the best player on the floor any given night. No other team is a stacked or as deep in talent.

I think this team is great because everyone of these players should have an excellent season coming into next year. If you want solid fantasy picks, look to this team. Plumlee, Faried, Thompson, DeRozan, Gay, Rose, Davis, all of these guys I expect to have great seasons.

they're underrated cause the Durant's/Lebron's aren't there but they're still the most talented team easily. USA has talent and chemistry but their chemistry isn't on the level of Spain's who have been playing together for many years now. It's a different kind of chemistry.

USA will likely win the gold, but they haven't really faced the best of the best in international play. Which isn't their fault of course, they're doing what they're supposed to. A full France squad and/or Spain could have certainly challenged them at the very least and kept things interesting.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Serbia are favorites against France. Just saying...

PurpleLynch
09-11-2014, 01:12 PM
What, did I miss some lame foreign team score 60 points total? Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

My opinion > Your opinion >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sleep >>>>> FIBA

USA already won the gold medal a few years ago. Who cares if they win again....? They should always win, given that they're paid millions to shoot a ball in a hoop and easily superior compared to these foreign nobodies.

Your logic is flawed. Completely flawed. Maybe less than "white cheerleaders are more appealing to white men" bs that Sonicsfan1980 wrote few days ago,but still really really flawed.

Minimal
09-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I don't know why everyone is talking about France here... Just a reminder USA team with LeBron, Durant, Melo etc almost lost to Lithuania in 2012 Olympics.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Lithuania is weaker this year

Minimal
09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Lithuania is weaker this year
Same can be said about USA.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Same can be said about USA.

The USA hasn't played against serious opposition yet. Tonight is their first serious game in the tournament.
So, we'll see if they are weaker or not. The names don't mean anything here.

kobe4thewinbang
09-11-2014, 02:30 PM
:facepalm:

So, because a country wins a gold medal at something once, that country and its athletes should just stop giving a **** every chance they get in the future to win another? That's horrible, indefensible logic. Once Michael Phelps won his first Olympic gold medal, I suppose he should have just quit swimming altogether. Also, your logic is flawed in that half the players on this Team USA did not participate in the last Olympics or World Cup. AND it's worth noting that for all of the U.S. dominance in basketball, they have won only one gold medal in the last four World Cups and only four golds in 16 tournaments since the World Cup began in 1950.

This just goes beyond stupid. You are aware that there are teams with multiple NBA players on the roster, right? And that players who play in Europe still get "paid millions to shoot a ball in a hoop?" Your ignorance is mind-boggling. Instead of insulting the tournament with your remarkably ignorant comments, why don't you do yourself a favor and just stay out of this conversation?I just don't like it when people insinuate that this world cup is important and should be talked about when it's obviously so lame. Yeah, the foreign teams should need NBA talent to even stand a chance and then they STILL lose by 50. It's just all so pointless. The fact that the USA team drops the ball so much compared to actually winning everything is pathetic considering the competition or lack thereof.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
The odds are against this but I'm eager to see a Lithuania win tonight (just 2 NBA rookies/sophomores and a crap coach that falls asleep during games) just so that our friend ( kobe4thwin etc^^^ ) can express his honest opinion :)

Chronz
09-11-2014, 02:54 PM
I will agree now that Spain is out, I really wish we got to see USA go up against better comp. The tourney should always be stacked against USA, just to make it interesting.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Don't run Lithuania, ffs :D

Chronz
09-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Don't run Lithuania, ffs :D

Did Sarunas Jas. have any game left before he retired?

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Did Sarunas Jas. have any game left before he retired?

What do you mean by that?

He was still excellent in his last playing days if that's what you're asking. Just not physically able to go through another season.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Jonas is finally doing something with that shot fake, I remember early last year he kept faking guys and doing nothing with it.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Rose is such a class act. Most 'superstars' would be whining after those calls.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 03:15 PM
What do you mean by that?

He was still excellent in his last playing days if that's what you're asking. Just not physically able to go through another season.

Just noticed he wasn't on the roster this year, was wondering if he retired because he just didn't have it anymore.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Yes he retired ;)

The Lithuanians also lack Kalnietis, their best PG and could argue that Kleiza is an important player not around.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 03:18 PM
5 PT switch right there, gotta capitalize on backdoor cuts like that.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
How can the refs miss that travel by Davis... instead USA gets 2+1 points... To their credit(refs), they're quite okay so far.

Minimal
09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Officiating is so ****ed up in this game

tredigs
09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
How can the refs miss that travel by Davis... instead USA gets 2+1 points... To their credit(refs), they're quite okay so far.

They are far too involved. 0 flow to this game.

tredigs
09-11-2014, 03:36 PM
PLEASE take Harden out. He bricks jumpers on one end and allows uncontested buckets on the other.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:41 PM
They are far too involved. 0 flow to this game.

They are involved because the players are fouling. Less fouls, more flow.

tredigs
09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Why would Rose get a second of PT over Klay right now? Thank God for him and Faried or this would be ugly.

dalton749
09-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Lithuania could be up in this if they werent missing some easy opportunities

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 03:55 PM
The biggest mistake by coach K so far is using Harden on a man to man defense on Kuzminskas.

The lack of an offensive game plan has always been around with team USA. Street ball at its best.

pebloemer
09-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Lithuania can't shoot the basketball it seems.
USA needs more than Klay and Faried.
Anyone else think Cousins was going to swing at Valanciunas?

dalton749
09-11-2014, 04:07 PM
atleast cousins didnt flop like other guys would

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 04:11 PM
game over imo

tredigs
09-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Yeah, on to the next one. Good answer to a sloppy 1st half.

Minimal
09-11-2014, 04:16 PM
It amazes me how good looking is coach k at the age of 67.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Morale for Lithuania is on the floor.. There's no way they can exceed 50 points playing this way.

canzano55
09-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Monteijunas should go on trial - he's been dreadful.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Generally speaking, I think many people on here are underrating the US team and overating many of these other teams. Us has the best athletes by far, best shooters by far, and probably the best coaching. The talent is just not close at all. Faried is great but in these games he's prime Malone and Kemp combined. He's not this player in the NBA. But against this much lesser talent, playing with guys that are equally dominant, he is a force of nature on the court.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Generally speaking, I think many people on here are underrating the US team and overating many of these other teams. Us has the best athletes by far, best shooters by far, and probably the best coaching. The talent is just not close at all. Faried is great but in these games he's prime Malone and Kemp combined. He's not this player in the NBA. But against this much lesser talent, playing with guys that are equally dominant, he is a force of nature on the court.

It's by far the worst coached team out of the last 8. Even worse coached than Lithuania and Spain(they're kinda automatic due to experience but their coach sucks)

The best coached team in the tournament is Serbia by a long distance. [Serbia's roster is laughable compared to what they bring to the court]
Athleticism and tireless running is what seperates the USA from the European teams and Argentina-Brazil. They're not used to running all the time. The French team is used to it as they're mostly NBA talent from a young age. So that game should be interesting but the US has more quality players than this France so a win by 10-15 pts is expected. But this France team beating Serbia is something unusual. The bookies don't say Serbia are the favorites for nothing.

And you shouldn't really try to compare their NBA effect to their effect in these type of games. It's like a different sport.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
It's by far the worst coached team out of the last 8. Even worse coached than Lithuania and Spain(they're kinda automatic due to experience but their coach sucks)

The best coached team in the tournament is Serbia by a long distance. [Serbia's roster is laughable compared to what they bring to the court]
Athleticism and tireless running is what seperates the USA from the European teams and Argentina-Brazil. They're not used to running all the time. The French team is used to it as they're mostly NBA talent from a young age. So that game should be interesting but the US has more quality players than this France so a win by 10-15 pts is expected. But this France team beating Serbia is something unusual. The bookies don't say Serbia are the favorites for nothing.

And you shouldn't really try to compare their NBA effect to their effect in these type of games. It's like a different sport.

If what you say is true, what is stopping these awesome coaches from going to the NBA/NCAA to make real money? Are they already making millions?

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Thanks for educating me. I didn't know that the combination of the best college coach in history plus the best defensive coach in the NBA would be scrubs in the world of Fiba. :shrug:

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM
If what you say is true, what is stopping these awesome coaches from going to the NBA/NCAA to make real money? Are they already making millions?

Yes, most do. And they don't go to the NBA because the game is different, their role is different and the NCAA means nothing to these guys. They work with professionals, not kids.
And it's not all about money.

If by "best coached" team you mean it's because they have coach K, well, it's not showing. And still, Djordjevic is a better basketball coach.

Can you tell me any offensive plan the USA has shown in this tournament? What we're watching is the definition of street ball with a few off the ball screens every now and then.

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 05:03 PM
PLEASE take Harden out. He bricks jumpers on one end and allows uncontested buckets on the other.

I'd say he pretty easily redeemed himself with that third quarter. 16 points on 6-8, shooting with three steals and two rebounds. If he doesn't go off in that third quarter, that game would have been a hell of a lot closer.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Yes, most do. And they don't go to the NBA because the game is different, their role is different and the NCAA means nothing to these guys. They work with professionals, not kids.

If by "best coached" team you mean it's because they have coach K, well, it's not showing. And still, Djordjevic is a better basketball coach.

Can you tell me any offensive plan the USA has shown in this tournament? What we're watching is the definition of street ball with a few off the ball screens every now and then.

No team has every won every game by 20+ in Fiba. If this team wins by 20 in the championship game then the results of this disagree with what you are saying. If they are in fact playing street ball then and getting the best results, then that is by the direction of the coaches. Ive sometimes thought these teams were over coached...so however they are being instructed to play...without the NBA's best being there...the end result goes against what you are saying.

mightybosstone
09-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Although you could argue this all day and I could bring up points like the fact that the Team USA roster has far more turnover than rosters from other nations and practice with each other far less often, isn't it all kind of a moot point? What Coach K is doing is working. Team USA hasn't lost an basketball game in international play since 2006. Since Coach K took over in 2005, the squad is something like 70-1 or something ridiculous like that. If they win the gold, it will be the first time in World Cup history that the U.S. won back-to-back World Cups.

I don't care how well-coached a team appears to be or how much of an offensive game plan they have. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Coach K clearly has adopted that policy over the years and he's been far more successful than we ever could have imagined.

Byronicle
09-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Not everyone wants to go to the NBA and leave their country or hometown.

I could easily work 1 hour further from my place and make an extra 10k/year but home, my community is where it's at.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Coach K has the same mentality he had in 2006 when he lost to Greece, using the same style of play. Nothing changed, he just hasn't faced a team that can beat the individual talent of the American players. In 2010 for example the refs helped USA a lot and the same has happened today, mostly in the 2nd half. The US team is always getting a pass for "not knowing the rules well enough".
You haven't imagined that the USA would win every tournament it participated in? How is that even possible? The USA are always the favorites and everyone expects them to win.

If Harden doesn't go red hot in the 3rd quarter, the USA would struggle. Coach K doesn't really do anything. Most overrated coach in every tournament he appears in with he US team.

A more 'fair' competition would be team USA vs a team from the whole of Europe, population-wise at least. And still, you don't have anywhere near the player pool the US have in the whole of Europe(due to interest in playing the sport). Probably not even if you add Brazil and Argentina.
So picking 12 players and letting them play the way they know usually can be enough.

I've never seen a proper set game by the USA in the last 8 years. It's mostly isolation, fast break or an occassional screen & 3. That can be achieved without coaching btw. All this coach do is rotate the team. If that's what we're judging him by, then it's a job well done. But that's not coaching, that's managing.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 06:04 PM
X and O's arent Coach K's strong suit, its his ability to get everyone to buy in. The game is too simple to boil down to X's and O's, its more valuable to get a rise out of a player than it is to get him to remember a set play. So long as a coach manages mismatches and gets defensive intensity out of everyone, hes maximizing his teams potential IMO.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Not everyone wants to go to the NBA and leave their country or hometown.

I could easily work 1 hour further from my place and make an extra 10k/year but home, my community is where it's at.

Yes but you would go anywhere on earth accept for a lava pit to go from making 100K a year to 5 mill a year.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Coach K has the same mentality he had in 2006 when he lost to Greece, using the same style of play. Nothing changed, he just hasn't faced a team that can beat the individual talent of the American players. In 2010 for example the refs helped USA a lot and the same has happened today, mostly in the 2nd half. The US team is always getting a pass for "not knowing the rules well enough".
You haven't imagined that the USA would win every tournament it participated in? How is that even possible? The USA are always the favorites and everyone expects them to win.

If Harden doesn't go red hot in the 3rd quarter, the USA would struggle. Coach K doesn't really do anything. Most overrated coach in every tournament he appears in with he US team.

A more 'fair' competition would be team USA vs a team from the whole of Europe, population-wise at least. And still, you don't have anywhere near the player pool the US have in the whole of Europe(due to interest in playing the sport). Probably not even if you add Brazil and Argentina.
So picking 12 players and letting them play the way they know usually can be enough.

I've never seen a proper set game by the USA in the last 8 years. It's mostly isolation, fast break or an occassional screen & 3. That can be achieved without coaching btw. All this coach do is rotate the team. If that's what we're judging him by, then it's a job well done. But that's not coaching, that's managing.

That is this teams strength. To slow down the game and runs sets would be a crime with this talent. Being a coach is knowing what you have, and he uses them to there strengths. And if James doesn't get hot, someone else does. There are a whole bunch of guys who shoot much better than Harden on the Squad. The US won by 30. Hrden scored what 16. If he only scores 6 points and none else scores in his place they win by twenty. If he doesn't get hot, worst case senario USA wins by 25 still bro. Please.

kobe4thewinbang
09-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Oh, wow, what a shocker. Another dominant win for USA.

:faint:

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
That is this teams strength. To slow down the game and runs sets would be a crime with this talent. Being a coach is knowing what you have, and he uses them to there strengths. And if James doesn't get hot, someone else does. There are a whole bunch of guys who shoot much better than Harden on the Squad. The US won by 30. Hrden scored what 16. If he only scores 6 points and none else scores in his place they win by twenty. If he doesn't get hot, worst case senario USA wins by 25 still bro. Please.

Is this serious? Can someone tell me if this guy is being serious here?

Dude, did you watch the game or did you settle for the box score?

The USA was struggling in half time. No one was stepping in (maybe Klay Thompson but coach K preferred the defensive hole called James Harden who scored 0 and conceded 12 pts by his man at that point). Harden gave the USA the W. No Harden performance in the 3rd could have lost the game for the USA had the Lithuanians gained momentum. Harden gave the momentum to the USA while Lithuania looked lost and demoralized. That was the game. Have you ever played basketball? Or watch this level of basketball?
If Harden didn't get hot tonight, I'm pretty sure the basketball wisdom guy above me would be whining about how the USA lost to a bunch of amateurs.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM

The USA was struggling in half time. No one was stepping in (maybe Klay Thompson but coach K preferred the defensive hole called James Harden who scored 0 and conceded 12 pts by his man at that point). Harden gave the USA the W. No Harden performance in the 3rd could have lost the game for the USA had the Lithuanians gained momentum. Harden gave the momentum to the USA while Lithuania looked lost and demoralized. That was the game. Have you ever played basketball? Or watch this level of basketball?
If Harden didn't get hot tonight, I'm pretty sure the basketball wisdom guy above me would be whining about how the USA lost to a bunch of amateurs.

I watched the entire game and no way Harden won the game for them...hahahaha. They were up by 10 at half with him scoring nothing. So they were 20 pts better than that team without any contribution by him and horrible defense from him. If you think they loose without Harden today, your drunk. Had he not played at all in the first half, they are probably up by 15-20 due to him being super cold, and foul trouble witch made him play even worse defense. Cant believe you think this? The defense they played on lithuania had way more to do than Harden. They were never in danger of loosing this game bro. NEVER!! Game was over 4, minutes into the 3rd quarter. but but but without James they loose?!!!?!?!?!?! Wow!

If you have watched every game like I have, you would of seen a few close first halves with the 3rd quarter being a blow out quarter. There have been closer contests than this so far that still were not close.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM

US held Lithuania to 68 points Bro, and that had nothing to do with Harden. Without Harden on the court at all, Lithuania would of scored less. 68 points will never beat the US bro. If you watched the game and deduced that without Harden the US looses, or is even in a dog fight, then your I-test is officially booty.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Game was over 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Harden had scored 7 pts in that Span. So I guess without those opts from Harden we are in a dog fight that we might loose? You understand that is mathematically impossible?

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 08:18 PM
US did not hold Lithuania. Lithuania missed a bunch of easy shots under the basket and lots of free throws. Lithuania didn't attack the basket in the 3rd quarter, they barely managed to organize a few offenses.

We call this a 'short-circuit effect'. That's what Harden's hot hand did to Lithuania and that was what sealed the game after 22 minutes.

You probably don't know much about basketball other than having fun watching it if you keep on saying things like that.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 08:25 PM
What you guys probably don't see either is that team USA gets a free pass for travelling and other fundamental errors (around 1/10 are called) while the opposition gets them called almost all the time. If that's not adding an unnecessary advantage I don't know what is. This isn't the NBA.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
US did not hold Lithuania. Lithuania missed a bunch of easy shots under the basket and lots of free throws. Lithuania didn't attack the basket in the 3rd quarter, they barely managed to organize a few offenses.

We call this a 'short-circuit effect'. That's what Harden's hot hand did to Lithuania and that was what sealed the game after 22 minutes.

You probably don't know much about basketball other than having fun watching it if you keep on saying things like that.

:facepalm: You have been off the charts wrong with every post you have made on page 9-10 of this thread. Not even worth my time any more.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
:facepalm: You have been off the charts wrong with every post you have made on page 9-10 of this thread. Not even worth my time any more.

Can you spot the difference?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Basketball.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110826090012/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Watermelon.jpg

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
What you guys probably don't see either is that team USA gets a free pass for travelling and other fundamental errors (around 1/10 are called) while the opposition gets them called almost all the time. If that's not adding an unnecessary advantage I don't know what is. This isn't the NBA.

:facepalm: ??????? What? They get like 4-5 traveling calls a game. 8-10 points are taken from them a game based on traveling. They get more traveling calls than any other team. Yet this equates to a free pass in your mind. Kyrie got called for traveling today and it wasn't even traveling. He took two steps plain as day. I get it now. Your just blind.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Can you spot the difference?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Basketball.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110826090012/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Watermelon.jpg

Do you know the difference between getting called for traveling 4 times a game, and getting a free pass to travel? How can you say free pass when they are always called for traveling. Thats a horribly false statement.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2014, 08:43 PM
:facepalm: ??????? What? They get like 4-5 traveling calls a game. 8-10 points are taken from them a game based on traveling. They get more traveling calls than any other team. Yet this equates to a free pass in your mind. Kyrie got called for traveling today and it wasn't even traveling. He took two steps plain as day. I get it now. Your just blind.

They get 4-5 calls out of 40-50 violations...
They dont' get 8-10 points off from travelling, by your logic they get over 60 pts in favor due to uncalled travelling. But that's bad logic anyway.

I think you'd be better off discussing NBA related stuff because you clearly don't know the basketball rules of FIBA. Everyone around the world talks about this special treatment the USA gets in each tournament while the law is applied to the rest...

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 09:01 PM
They dont' get 8-10 points off from travelling, by your logic they get over 60 pts in favor due to uncalled travelling. But that's bad logic anyway.

I think you'd be better off discussing NBA related stuff because you clearly don't know the basketball rules of FIBA. Everyone around the world talks about this special treatment the USA gets in each tournament while the law is applied to the rest...

:sigh::violin::ohno::down::bang::crazy::bla::no::l augh::sleep::censored::faint::laugh2::yawn::bs::pu nish::facepalm::yellowcard:

championships
09-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Crooners response from the Dead

Copy and Pasted

Hi all:Thats what happens when1 You fall into your own hype and selfentitelment2 you have an stupid coach3 your stupid coach allows one player ( Marc) to go and leave the team and come back because he had a son and travel to see him in the same ****ing day of the game4 your stupid coach runs the starters to the ground in meaningless games instead of resting them in the 4th quarters on blowts 5 your stupid coach does not even care to program a training seasion the day before the game 6 yoru main core is aging and has their stomachs filled already with success 7 your stupid coach does not have any brains and no clue as to how to make in game adjustements8 you play long stings with three point guards because you lack a proper Sf, and the only proper small forward you have is rotting in Portland and thus has no game rhythm9 one of your players gets the Knicks Curse/desease and suddenly declines 20 years just by signing with the new contract.10 your stupid coach does not even get some video footage of your rival and does not expect said rival to make adjustments to their plan after you blew them out of the water 4 days ago.Now, I need to come back, the ban is absolutely absurd, keep fightin!!!Best Hellcrooner.PS: Sleep o Serbia at your own risk.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Obviously you don't understand the rules of traveling so here ya go.

Violation

A violation occurs when the player breaks one of the rules of Basketball. A violation results in the awarding of the ball to the opponents.

It can also result from the player taking more than 2 steps without bouncing the ball on the floor. This is called Traveling.

Another example of violation occurs when a player stops dribbling and then starts dribbling again or when he bounces the ball with both hands on the ball. We call this a double Dribble.

A violation is also committed if you twist your hand, when in contact with the ball, beyond the vertical, bringing it under the ball. This is called Carry, as the hand must always remain on the top of the ball.

What you are failing to realize is that these many of these refs have just never seen the athletes, the quickness, the dribbling, and the overall shiftiness of these players and it causes them to make a lot of mistakes. They call traveling thats not there, but you don't have the ability to see that I guess.

flea
09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm a giant college ball fan (and non-Duke fan) and he is the best X and O guy there is. Never heard anyone question his chops there, but I don't really watch Team USA.

Chronz
09-11-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm a giant college ball fan (and non-Duke fan) and he is the best X and O guy there is. Never heard anyone question his chops there, but I don't really watch Team USA.

Gotta admit I dont really follow College ball but I heard it referenced on a random ESPN pod cast and went with it. Also gotta admit the schemes seem very simplistic

flea
09-11-2014, 10:40 PM
There are less sets but the schemes are way more creative. Coach K has done the same motion offense for years but it's great in college because of shot clocks and versatility. It's simple in theory but has a lot of permutations. That's really where the NBA is going now, if you look at teams like Warriors under Kerr, Spurs, Heat, and probably Cavs.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Can someone tell me why the American players(team) refuse to be tested by an independent anti-doping center, the one that everyone else uses, and instead are tested by an American company?
This has been the case since NBA players have been allowed to play in these tournaments. While no one really accuses them of doping, it does raise eyebrows.

flea
09-12-2014, 01:45 PM
I pretty much assume all NBA players at least use HGH, probably a lot more.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
I pretty much assume all NBA players at least use HGH, probably a lot more.

Which is banned.

Can someone verify or refute that the NBA players don't get equal anti-doping treatment with the rest? I remember in 2004 it was said they'd be checked but they refused. And they were allowed to play... The IOC bans all athletes that refuse to take their antidoping tests.

Chronz
09-12-2014, 02:32 PM
lol you 2.

They do get tested, sometimes randomly. I remember Kobe going off on Australia and having to be held back to get tested (got back with the team after midnight). Back in the 90's, guys used to avoid being the leading scorer because they knew they would get tested after the game. Players just cant get tested out of competition, Team USA abides by WADA and USADA standards for the Olympics. And during one of the Tourneys/World Games, they began testing out of comp.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Serbia is killing France, as expected.

France can turn things round but I don't see it happending.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Excellent game. France tried much harder that I expected them to. Excellent Batum in the 2nd half but the Serbs were meant to reach the final...

You can expect BRUTALITY from the Serbs on Sunday. They hate the USA.

Iron24th
09-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Excellent game. France tried much harder that I expected them to. Excellent Batum in the 2nd half but the Serbs were meant to reach the final...

Agree, I'm a little disappointed we didn't hold this game up, but serbians deserve this win, they played great from start to finish.

I hope they'll make USA-Serbia a little interesting at least.

dalton749
09-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I bet 95% of Americans won't even know where Serbia is when watching the gold game lol

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 06:13 PM
I bet 95% of Americans won't even know where Serbia is when watching the gold game lol

Those who watched the news regularly in the 90s know ;)

I'm expecting Teodosic and Krstic to go in a 'revenge' mentality that will be worthy of learning where Serbia is if you don't already know. Very dirty players when they want to.

king4day
09-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Anyone think Serbia can compete at all with the USA?
Part of me hopes Serbia wins due to Bogdan (Suns) being on the team. Does this team have anything that'll give the USA fits? Size, Defense, etc.

NYKalltheway
09-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Anyone think Serbia can compete at all with the USA?
Part of me hopes Serbia wins due to Bogdan (Suns) being on the team. Does this team have anything that'll give the USA fits? Size, Defense, etc.

They can score... That's what the USA hasn't faced yet, quality offense (or defense, they don't have that though but they can toughen up)

Vinylman
09-12-2014, 08:43 PM

in the words of Dcousins i'll bet 90% of serbs don't know where Alabama is located... as for serbia... if you are going to constantly change your name are you really relevant

JEDean89
09-12-2014, 11:52 PM
i'm stoked now for the 2018 FIBA World Cup where Canada will field quite the young team of Olynk, Thompson, Bennet, Wiggins, Ennis with a few other notable names coming in. Maybe not US quality but definitely the most promising young group of foreign talent. I also think Greece with the Antentokounmpo's should be entering an age as a powerhouse.

tredigs
09-13-2014, 03:16 AM

Can you explain why? I can't recall one US'men who would give a **** about a Serbian one way or another.

tredigs
09-13-2014, 03:20 AM
All NYK's comment says to me is that Demarcus Cousins is going to knock out a ***** *** Serbian.

NYKalltheway
09-13-2014, 11:42 AM
No I'm saying the Serbs will be brutal against the US team. Serbs have a... dislike towards to the USA for the NATO bombings in the 90s.
DeMarcus Cousins better not try any funny **** coz there's gonna be war :) Heck, even the Lithuanians were pissed at the US players and they don't have enough [political] reasons for that.

tredigs
09-13-2014, 12:59 PM
No I'm saying the Serbs will be brutal against the US team. Serbs have a... dislike towards to the USA for the NATO bombings in the 90s.
DeMarcus Cousins better not try any funny **** coz there's gonna be war :) Heck, even the Lithuanians were pissed at the US players and they don't have enough [political] reasons for that.

What I'm saying is the US players would not give a **** that the Serbians don't like them for some **** they had no control over (most of these guys on both squads were toddlers at the time of what you're mentioning anyway), and that trying to get overly rough with them would likely be ill advised and not end well for Serbia.

InRoseWeTrust
09-13-2014, 01:35 PM
What I'm saying is the US players would not give a **** that the Serbians don't like them for some **** they had no control over (most of these guys on both squads were toddlers at the time of what you're mentioning anyway), and that trying to get overly rough with them would likely be ill advised and not end well for Serbia.

Yeah, I've got to agree here. I really don't think Cousins and Faried are losing any sleep over it.

NYKalltheway
09-13-2014, 02:21 PM

I didn't say that ther's going to be a mental effect prior to the game for the US team... I said the Serbians will go hard on the Americans and your guys most likely won't realize what hit them...

I like coach Djordjevic's mentality going into the game:

"Everything is possible in the court, there aren't any invincible teams"
"There have been miracles in the past and there's no reason to say that there will be no miracles in the future"
"Our aim is to go 5 on 5 but the Americans are very athletic and energetic and can use many players which helps them tire their opposition. They had one more day of rest which is not good, but there is no room for excuses. We don't have excuses."
"They have weaknesses. There was only one Dream Team." :D

NYKalltheway
09-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Incredible game for the 3rd place. France-Lithuania 95-93. Batum insanely good for a second night in a row

Htownballa1622
09-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Harden gets it started. Boogie playing big time for Davis 2 fouls. Kyrie unconscious with 15 in first quarter. :flag:

tredigs
09-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Kyrie Irving > All of Serbia.

After a slow start, the US have Gold on lock after 1st Q.

IKnowHoops
09-14-2014, 03:25 PM

I didn't say that ther's going to be a mental effect prior to the game for the US team... I said the Serbians will go hard on the Americans and your guys most likely won't realize what hit them...

I like coach Djordjevic's mentality going into the game:

"Everything is possible in the court, there aren't any invincible teams"
"There have been miracles in the past and there's no reason to say that there will be no miracles in the future"
"Our aim is to go 5 on 5 but the Americans are very athletic and energetic and can use many players which helps them tire their opposition. They had one more day of rest which is not good, but there is no room for excuses. We don't have excuses."
"They have weaknesses. There was only one Dream Team." :D

Guess not.

IKnowHoops
09-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't even call this an A game from the US but you see what happens when the US comes to play. Instant Blowouts. But I realize Im not saying anything new here.

IKnowHoops
09-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Kyrie Irving > All of Serbia.

After a slow start, the US have Gold on lock after 1st Q.

This

24/7 All Day
09-14-2014, 03:39 PM
lol terrible officials trying to keep serbia in the game. france/spain wouldve been a more entertaining matchup.

& a nenad krstic sighting

Vincent
09-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Kyrie and Harden really have played awesome, Cousins defense has been big too

MTar786
09-14-2014, 03:40 PM
this is good. maybe psd will start respecting kyrie a little more now

ChI_ShIzzLe
09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Man wtf is this. I wanted to see Spain vs USA. They had to choke.

Vincent
09-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow, that was a pretty bad possession by Harden

Confusious
09-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Kyrie is so damn good. Cousins is really great too, kinda surprising me.

PurpleLynch
09-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Team USA destroying the competition. I honestly expected it,even more when Serbia reached the Finals.No offense for Serbia,but even this "weak"(laughing histerically) selection was just too much.

PurpleLynch
09-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Irving is mentally ready for that long run with the Cavs...

Vincent
09-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Irving has been scary good tonight

MTar786
09-14-2014, 04:22 PM
irving is a superstar

tredigs
09-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Serbia's D is a joke. They have absolutely nobody who can stop the ball.

NYKalltheway
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Serbia's D is a joke. They have absolutely nobody who can stop the ball.

Pretty much. Their team is very sad and coaching & 3pt success (25% for a team that probably has 40-50%) won't get them past this US team.

They gave everything to reach the final and run out of gas. Can't fault them.

Confusious
09-14-2014, 04:42 PM
irving is a superstar
If it really took this long for people to realize it, then smh...

FriedTofuz
09-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Irving is far from a superstar, He's a good scorer and shooter but a horrible playmaker and defender.
A superstar is able to get his team to at the very least, the playoffs, without having any help.
Lebron and Durant are examples of superstars. Put them on any team and they will make the playoffs.

Confusious
09-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Irving is far from a superstar, He's a good scorer and shooter but a horrible playmaker and defender.
A superstar is able to get his team to at the very least, the playoffs, without having any help.
Lebron and Durant are examples of superstars. Put them on any team and they will make the playoffs.
Here we go with the superstar talk again. LeBron and Durant are examples of GENERATIONAL talent. You should learn the difference.

sammyvine
09-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Here we go with the superstar talk again. LeBron and Durant are examples of GENERATIONAL talent. You should learn the difference.

CP3 and Melo are superstars

Irving isn't in that category. Last year he was playing in a weak eastern conference and couldn't even get his team to 8th seed ahead of the bobcats.
Nice player but LOL at superstar.

tredigs
09-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Kyrie is an example of an offensive "ALL"-Star who will make shabby defenses look stupid. He has shown no clear improvement after 3 years in the league -- no, he is not a superstar. But, what an insane 3rd option for Cleveland. That offense should be the best in the NBA by a country mile if Blatt is half as good as expected.

Confusious
09-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Irving isn't in that category. Last year he was playing in a weak eastern conference and couldn't even get his team to 8th seed ahead of the bobcats.
I like how you blame the problem on Irving when most of the fault was on management (especially former coach Mike Brown) building crappy roster after crappy roster... I'm not going to pretend like Irving is the best player in the goddamn universe, but he's definitely a superstar. And everybody is going to see it this year. No, not because LeBron and Kevin will be breast feeding him. Because now he finally has a reason to give his full effort and passion to this team.

And I know you didn't watch seasons past, because before it was managements decision to shut him down late in the season to prevent serious injuries. Again, his shortcomings fall in line with what management wants, not from his own limitations. But you go ahead and laugh out loud. You'll sure show us how wrong we are with that mentality.

mightybosstone
09-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Kyrie is an example of an offensive "ALL"-Star who will make shabby defenses look stupid. He has shown no clear improvement after 3 years in the league -- no, he is not a superstar. But, what an insane 3rd option for Cleveland. That offense should be the best in the NBA by a country mile if Blatt is half as good as expected.

This. Watching how well Irving played in this tournament as a secondary player, I can only imagine how efficient and effective he has the potential to be in this new look Cleveland offense as the No. 3. I think I'm tempering my expectations for that team a bit, but I legitimately would not be shocked to see that team with 65+ wins this year.

Iron24th
09-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Serbia was terrible in this game

DillyDill
09-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Irving is something special got the crazzzzzyyyy handles with a pure shot

BigCityofDreams
09-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Easy money for team USA.

MrfadeawayJB
09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Was hoping for Spain and USA, it would have been a much closer game. Great job USA, congrats on the gold!

akia83
09-14-2014, 07:35 PM

That's why Carmelo is a Superstar, wait...

Deception
09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
So walking into this event, USA was criticized saying they are too young and inexperienced, however, we beat every opponent by double digits most being a blowout. So who do we praise more, coaching staff or the players?

NYKalltheway
09-15-2014, 01:34 PM
So walking into this event, USA was criticized saying they are too young and inexperienced, however, we beat every opponent by double digits most being a blowout. So who do we praise more, coaching staff or the players?

FIBA of course. :D

And some players. I think Faried was the MVP for this USA team.

Dade County
09-15-2014, 02:44 PM
I like how you blame the problem on Irving when most of the fault was on management (especially former coach Mike Brown) building crappy roster after crappy roster... I'm not going to pretend like Irving is the best player in the goddamn universe, but he's definitely a superstar. And everybody is going to see it this year. No, not because LeBron and Kevin will be breast feeding him. Because now he finally has a reason to give his full effort and passion to this team.

And I know you didn't watch seasons past, because before it was managements decision to shut him down late in the season to prevent serious injuries. Again, his shortcomings fall in line with what management wants, not from his own limitations. But you go ahead and laugh out loud. You'll sure show us how wrong we are with that mentality.

So I am guessing making millions is not enough motivation.

Irving is not a super star, but as the season goes along, he's play and the help of the media will brand him one. Posters have already commented on his offensive skill set, can you just leave it at that.

Irving will look the part this season though, offensively anyway.

This. Watching how well Irving played in this tournament as a secondary player, I can only imagine how efficient and effective he has the potential to be in this new look Cleveland offense as the No. 3. I think I'm tempering my expectations for that team a bit, but I legitimately would not be shocked to see that team with 65+ wins this year.

I posted 67 wins... I think you and others said I was aiming to high (in the Eastern Conference thread).

IKnowHoops
09-15-2014, 03:45 PM
So I am guessing making millions is not enough motivation.

Irving is not a super star, but as the season goes along, he's play and the help of the media will brand him one. Posters have already commented on his offensive skill set, can you just leave it at that.

Irving will look the part this season though, offensively anyway.

I posted 67 wins... I think you and others said I was aiming to high (in the Eastern Conference thread).

Sounds about right.

Kyrie is obviously not at Prime Wade level, but seeing as that he has not yet hit his prime yet, and he has a great 3 ball, he should coexist better with Lebron. Even that first year Bron never played with a prime Wade.

Vinylman
09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
get ready Cav fans...

about a month into the season kyrie will get hurt and they will blame it on him playing in FIBA this summer...

Guy is a great offensive talent who gets injured WAY to much...

He is the key to clevelands future success

ThuglifeJ
09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Fiba announcer mocks james harden

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/11/6137089/james-harden-defense-is-so-so-so-so-so-so-so-so-bad

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/9/11/6137089/james-harden-defense-is-so-so-so-so-so-so-so-so-bad

Figured I shouldn't post a new thread for the sake of bickering.

Ariza's Better
09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Fiba announcer mocks james harden

Figured I shouldn't post a new thread for the sake of bickering.

You know the little boy in elementary school who bullies the little girl because he doesn't know anyway other way to express the fact that he has a crush on her? I get that vibe from you.