PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the 2014-1015 NBA title?

IKnowHoops
09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah its early...so what. If you had to pick today, who would it be. Is your combination of luck and wisdom strong enough to pick correctly now? Who wins the 2014-2015 NBA Championship.

Im going...

...Cleveland.

SPURSFAN1
09-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Spurs repeat.

kobe4thewinbang
09-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Going for the Cinderella story, huh? I say...Mavericks. They're going to shock the world.

*really has no clue yet*

I would like to see the Spurs repeat as champions. Horrible to think how they could potentially have accomplished a 3-peat were it not for Ray Allen. But I think they'll be complacent next season and let someone get past them. It could also be finally time for the Clippers...

Silent
09-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Cavs Spurs Okc Bulls in no order

Dade County
09-02-2014, 06:05 PM
I think the league has a OKC vs Bulls matchup scripted up. So I go with OKC.

Lbj will have to go against the powers to be on this one, because of his Final's defeat last season (pay back for 2011). If KD or Rose wins a title next year & Lbj only has one up on them, that will hit his long term legacy.

WaDe03
09-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Heat!

IKnowHoops
09-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Thats the best you got? Call one.

JEDean89
09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
^^^ i agree that the mavs have a chance to be a cinderella story as they have a championship culture and finals mvp on their team. my guess is the spurs repeat. it was pretty obvious that the only 2 teams in the league evenly remotely close to the spurs were the thunder and mavs.

cavs will not win their first year. i don't even think they'll win the east but they very well may. LBJ is not good enough to beat the Spurs without significant help from an entire team. he needs a bonafide 2nd option which we don't know if love will be (see chris bosh) and irving has yet to become (see stats). they have no rim protection and are right now counting entirely on 2 guys who have been chronically injured in their careers to hold down the interior. they have only 3 good defenders on the entire team, one of who'm is ancient the other is always injured. cavs will need a second offseason to make some magic happen.

they are in great shape. 2 of the best forwards in the game, a budding PG who is currently getting some of the best experience in the world. they have 2 young guys in Waiters and Thompson who are great trade bait and who can contribute in the mean time.

I see them trading Thompson and a pick for a C to a team like the Grizz who have above average backup C's (Koufos). Obviously players will now flock to CLE for a chance at a title but honestly, call me crazy but I don't see the Cavs winning. Here's why. Look at the thunder.

Westbrook > Irving, by a lot I'd say on both ends of the floor

LBJ > Durant, by not a lot though he is the better defender, Durant however is younger and LBJ is aging

Love = Ibaka, I know people will say that's crazy but Ibaka gets his numbers next to 2 MVP candidates and is one of the best interior defenders in the league. Love gets his numbers with literally no one else on the team getting theirs and is one of the worst interior defenders in the league.

Now look at the supporting casts for both. Cavs have Waiters, Thompson, Marion, Varejao, Dellevadova, and potentially Ray Allen. Thunder have Adams, Jones, McGary, Lamb, Jackson, Perkins, Morrow.

I'm taking that Thunder cast for today and tomorrow. IMO the Cavs will never be as good as the thunder, unless David Blatt turns out to actually be the genius anyone who knew who he was before has been smugly reporting he is.

Bruno
09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Okc.

sens#11fan
09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
1. OKC
2. Chitown(If Rose is healthy)/LAC
3. Chi/LAC
4. Mavs
5. Clev
On a side note I think this is the year father time catches up to the Spurs, but they may prove me wrong.

BranWingss
09-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Love = Ibaka?

FraziersKnicks
09-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Cavs

HandsOnTheWheel
09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't see the hype surrounding the Bulls.

5ass
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Bulls vs cavs
Clippers vs thunder
Clippers win

mightybosstone
09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Thunder vs. Cavaliers. Cavs win in 7.

Jarvo
09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Spurs repeat or OKC/Bulls

Hawkeye15
09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Cavs over Thunder

KnicksorBust
09-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Clippers over Cavs.

flea
09-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Going out on a limb and saying Griz over Bulls in 6 where baby brother gets his ring.

Cal827
09-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Sixers over Jazz

Cal827
09-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Oh, title.

Ummm...

Spurs over Bulls

bucketss
09-02-2014, 10:29 PM

lol yeah.

IKnowHoops
09-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Sixers over Jazz

I been wrestling with this one for a while now.

FriedTofuz
09-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Knicks

but seriously

it's going to be the spurs once again.

D-Leethal
09-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Spurs over Cavs or Cavs over Thunder

I think Spurs could stifle the Cavs defensively and execute like a dream offensively, not much different than last year. I think the Cavs could out-gun the Thunder and the Thunder will not have enough D to stop them, not much different than 2011 Heat.

Master Mind
09-02-2014, 11:01 PM
The Heat will shock the world

Dade County
09-02-2014, 11:07 PM
The Heat will shock the world

Pat will have to make some key moves in order for that to happen.

An All Star caliber pg & and big man to help out Bosh (and Wade will have to be almost near prime Wade).

Arch Stanton
09-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Cavs win and end the 50 year drought.

ThuglifeJ
09-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Houston

Knicks Boogie
09-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Knicks

JEDean89
09-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Love = Ibaka?

see explanation? i think love = ibaka when he's on a contender. kind of like how people would have said bosh was better than ibaka is now until they saw what he was like on a contender. Ibaka gets 18 and 10 + 2+ blocks on a contender. it's hard to see love bringing more to the cavs than ibaka would have brought. you get your top 3 option, rebounder and rim protector all in one.

FlashBolt
09-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Got my money on OKC this season. We would have beaten Spurs with Ibaka.. IMO.

IKnowHoops
09-03-2014, 03:05 AM
see explanation? i think love = ibaka when he's on a contender. kind of like how people would have said bosh was better than ibaka is now until they saw what he was like on a contender. Ibaka gets 18 and 10 + 2+ blocks on a contender. it's hard to see love bringing more to the cavs than ibaka would have brought. you get your top 3 option, rebounder and rim protector all in one.

I could see love getting 20/15.

I see his rebounds going up because he won't have to be doing so much on the offensive end.

KnicksYanks
09-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Okc

Thumper 88
09-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Mavs vs cavs

Dirk beats Lebron again

cdnsportsfan
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Spurs repeat

TheNumber37
09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Spurs repeat and okc blows it up.
Clippers look good with Hawes.
Mavs are a big sleeper

Confusious
09-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm going off the grid. I'm gonna say Thunder over Cavs in seven games.

It'll be such a marketable series. LeBron vs Durant.

Sly Guy
09-03-2014, 04:52 PM

nor okc for that matter. I think the spurs repeat.

RocketLoc80
09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm going off the grid. I'm gonna say Thunder over Cavs in seven games.

It'll be such a marketable series. LeBron vs Durant.

Damn no faith in your team>?

JEDean89
09-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I could see love getting 20/15.

I see his rebounds going up because he won't have to be doing so much on the offensive end.

i agree he will be around 20 points but i disagree about the 15 rebounds next to varejao and lbj and i'd take and 18 and 10 guy with elite defense over a 20 and 15 guy with horrible defense any day. i think love will average 22 and 14 on really efficient offensive play.

Confusious
09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Damn no faith in your team>?
Rookie coach and tons of youngsters. Yeah, I don't see them winning in year 1. But they'll get a lot of experience out of it.

Don't know what you mean by "no faith". I anticipate them to go to a game seven in the finals against a perennial contender. If that is your definition of no faith, well... I don't know what to tell you.

Clippersfan86
09-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Definitely a homer pick I admit, but I DO genuinely believe the Clippers. Zero excuses not to after this offseason.

1. New owner who's already shelling out big cash. Guys will be motivated and definitely NOT distracted like last year in the playoffs.

2. I highly doubt that the Clippers have a scenario in back to back years where Redick misses 50+, CP3 20, Crawford 15+ etc. This year the team will likely be healthier.

3. The Clippers went from worst bench frontcourt in the league to one of the best in Hawes/CDR/Udoh. This has been a major Achilles heel for the last 3 years. Once Griffin or DJ went to the bench, things fell apart. That should be over now.

4. 2nd year under Doc and 4th year of Blake+CP3+DJ is likely to have gains in chemistry/production purely from continuity with the new system and the players themselves.

5. Blake and DJ both 25 years old should take at least one more leap in their games and if they do, the team gets a lot better obviously. Then of course guys like Bullock/Hawes/CDR are still all 26 and younger and have a chance to thrive under Doc and with CP3 feeding them.

Paul/Farmar
Redick/Crawford
CDR/Barnes/Bullock
Griffin/Udoh/Davis
DJ/Hawes

Arch Stanton
09-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Rookie coach and tons of youngsters. Yeah, I don't see them winning in year 1. But they'll get a lot of experience out of it.

Don't know what you mean by "no faith". I anticipate them to go to a game seven in the finals against a perennial contender. If that is your definition of no faith, well... I don't know what to tell you.

I don't see the Thunder as big of a threat to the Cavs. And I believe a lot of it has to do with poor coaching. I think the Spurs, and Clips are bigger threats.

Clippersfan86
09-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't see the Thunder as big of a threat to the Cavs. And I believe a lot of it has to do with poor coaching. I think the Spurs, and Clips are bigger threats.

Agree 100 percent that the Cavs would have the edge in a matchup over the Thunder. We've seen it time and time again that when it matters most, Lebron eats Durant's soul. Then you factor in that the one type of PF that Ibaka can't guard are the Dirk's/Love's who can step outside and hit jumpers reliably and drag him out of the paint. Westbrook will get his.. but a healthy Varejao should be able to bang him up in the paint and deter him a little bit.

Lebron+Love would each average 25+ in a series against OKC IMO. Kyrie may have a little trouble, but still got Cavs in 6.

Edit: Oh also as you said.. Brooks doesn't have any decisive coaching edge over anyone not named Mike Brown or Vinny Del Negro probably. So OKC isn't hard to stop IF you have the personnel to actually pull off the game plan. Lebron can play D on Durant as good as about anyone (besides 5'11 CP3 maybe haha).

ThuglifeJ
09-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Dwight and Harden themselves.

lamzoka
09-03-2014, 09:06 PM

:laugh:

Arch Stanton
09-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Agree 100 percent that the Cavs would have the edge in a matchup over the Thunder. We've seen it time and time again that when it matters most, Lebron eats Durant's soul. Then you factor in that the one type of PF that Ibaka can't guard are the Dirk's/Love's who can step outside and hit jumpers reliably and drag him out of the paint. Westbrook will get his.. but a healthy Varejao should be able to bang him up in the paint and deter him a little bit.

Lebron+Love would each average 25+ in a series against OKC IMO. Kyrie may have a little trouble, but still got Cavs in 6.

Edit: Oh also as you said.. Brooks doesn't have any decisive coaching edge over anyone not named Mike Brown or Vinny Del Negro probably. So OKC isn't hard to stop IF you have the personnel to actually pull off the game plan. Lebron can play D on Durant as good as about anyone (besides 5'11 CP3 maybe haha).

Yeah I haven't watched a ton of OKC and certainly think they have the talent, but they seem to run a lot of isolation plays or 1 on 5 and I don't see that as a formula to win a title. When they get into transition they can be lethal, otherwise it seems like a lot of hero ball. Plus I'm not sure Brooks makes the best in game adjustments.

ThuglifeJ
09-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Am I jealous for not thinking the Mavs are contenders or going to shock the world? They will be a fun team but I don't see it.

Ppl use Spurs Mavs series as a rational...before that series they were dogged on.. That series they looked absolutely outstanding. Largely part due to Vince and Jose Calderon.. Marion had a great game or two in there as well. Ellis was the true force that attacked SA, but that also was in part to Calderon and VCs 3pt ability keeping defenders locked..

I see the potential but that team was not uber talented they just played together great and were well rounded. Like the Spurs. Who says they'll be able to play that way with all new faces and no bench spark? And no high IQ pg? Dirk looked horrible, he's older now?

Not to mention a buzzer beater game winner is what gave the mavs a 2-1 lead...they go down 1-2 obviously if they miss that with little hope if that happens.

Granted the spurs blew out Portland and Miami...I still am not high on them like everyone else I just think they're so likeable that's why.

Clippersfan86
09-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Am I jealous for not thinking the Mavs are contenders or going to shock the world? They will be a fun team but I don't see it.

Ppl use Spurs Mavs series as a rational...before that series they were dogged on.. That series they looked absolutely outstanding. Largely part due to Vince and Jose Calderon.. Marion had a great game or two in there as well. Ellis was the true force that attacked SA, but that also was in part to Calderon and VCs 3pt ability keeping defenders locked..

I see the potential but that team was not uber talented they just played together great and were well rounded. Like the Spurs. Who says they'll be able to play that way with all new faces and no bench spark? And no high IQ pg? Dirk looked horrible, he's older now?

Not to mention a buzzer beater game winner is what gave the mavs a 2-1 lead...they go down 1-2 obviously if they miss that with little hope if that happens.

Granted the spurs blew out Portland and Miami...I still am not high on them like everyone else I just think they're so likeable that's why.

Not jealous at all. I think the Mavs are a 4-6 seed who will be out in the 2nd round tops, probably the 1st. People act like Chandler/Chandler Parsons makes this team a legit title contender from an 8 seed last year, very doubtful. Until I see that Chandler just had a fluky year and it wasn't a legit decline at 33 years old like most players, why should I believe he's going to be 2011 Chandler just because he's back in Dallas? That's incredible naive. Then you look at Chandler Parsons who is a pretty damn mediocre defender and shores up none of Dallas' weaknesses really besides adding a little talent. Dallas was a very good offensive team last year, it was their D that hurt them.

Clippersfan86
09-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah I haven't watched a ton of OKC and certainly think they have the talent, but they seem to run a lot of isolation plays or 1 on 5 and I don't see that as a formula to win a title. When they get into transition they can be lethal, otherwise it seems like a lot of hero ball. Plus I'm not sure Brooks makes the best in game adjustments.

You are correct. Pretty much the same offense as 2011-2012 Miami Heat. Isoball taking turns between superstars, while other guys stand at 3 point line. Almost no offensive paint game, besides the occasional Ibaka dunk, although he's become a perimeter based offensive player now too. OKC's entire Durant era has been plagued with poor ball movement+high turnovers, which is a VERY big problem in the deep playoffs.

So I agree, they don't have a formula to win the title IMO.

Thumper 88
09-03-2014, 11:43 PM

Say what? Jose was pretty much moved to floor spacer while monta and Harris took over the pg duties because he couldn't guard a statute..

Carter was amazing in that series but Dirk was also playing very poorly due to the excellent d by Splitter.

If Dallas can avoid the injury bug they should be right there in the top half of the west and anyone in that half can most likely beat anyone in the east.

This is all opinion because we all need to see games played to get a real feel for what direction teams are going in

Silent
09-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Thats the best you got? Call one.

Bulls

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2014, 12:46 AM
I'll go with Oklahoma City. All of it's primetime stars are in their mid-20s. It has one of the best back-up point guards in Jackson. And it has a lot of depth in the role player department.
Call me crazy, but I think San Antonio is in for some injury/fatigue issues this year, even with its masterful sense of time management. And no other team in the west has really caught up with Oklahoma talent-wise.

Sanjay
09-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Spurs surely.

ThuglifeJ
09-04-2014, 01:36 AM

Say what? Jose was pretty much moved to floor spacer while monta and Harris took over the pg duties because he couldn't guard a statute..

Carter was amazing in that series but Dirk was also playing very poorly due to the excellent d by Splitter.

If Dallas can avoid the injury bug they should be right there in the top half of the west and anyone in that half can most likely beat anyone in the east.

This is all opinion because we all need to see games played to get a real feel for what direction teams are going in

A floor spacer, who shoots 45% from 3.. You're right on the defense part but its not like Harris or Ellis could do any better. Literally the game plan defensively was to just let parker look like a superstar and wait for him to get tired.

Jose was excellent offensively a few games. Harris had one game where he surprised everyone by simply just hitting all his shots (yes he was lucky IMO). But yes Jose D was bad, I just think your underestimating his impact by simply never turning the ball over and never missing 3 pointers (huge nowadays)

I agree on the rest though. Well wait and see. As long as they have Carlisle and Ellis , Dirk they'll still be good. I just don't see contention first year here.