PDA

View Full Version : How will you remember Amare when his career is done?

arlubas
09-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Taking for granted that his best days are behind him but that he can still be a nice veteran presence for teams in search for that in the future, how would you describe Amare's career when it's all said and done? Was he a "what if" story, a perennial all-star who was robbed of a few more such seasons because of injuries, someone that could've taken the next step to super-stardom or just a freak athlete that was half the player he was when his legs weren't so young anymore?

Link to his stats to save some of you the trouble:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stoudam01.html

IndyRealist
09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
He wasn't borderline, he was absolutely an all-star in Phoenix, and even in New York pre-Melo. Injuries and bad management mucked up his last few years, but i think he's transitioned well to being a complimentary player. Ultimately outside of New York no one is going to remember him for his time with the Knicks. Just like no one really talks about MJ's stint with the Wizards.

arlubas
09-01-2014, 08:13 AM
He wasn't borderline, he was absolutely an all-star in Phoenix, and even in New York pre-Melo.
Borderline wasn't even the word I wanted to use, I was going for perennial, I don't know what the hell got into me. I'm fixing it into the original post.

Ultimately outside of New York no one is going to remember him for his time with the Knicks.
His first couple of seasons with the Knicks get hella overlooked. I had the chance of watching him live back then on a trip to NY and he was a real force back then.

PurpleLynch
09-01-2014, 08:35 AM
What if kind of player. Too much injuries. But with the Suns and first years as a Knick he was really good.

quade36
09-01-2014, 08:47 AM
All time greatest Knick!!!!

Contract :D

jaydubb
09-01-2014, 10:02 AM
He's a system guy that was absolutely dominant in dantonis system, unfortunately the only headlines he's been getting lately is "worst contract in the NBA". Combine losing dantoni with injuries he's sustained and his legacy has really taken a hit imo.

I'll remember him, but I bet in 40-50 years, kids won't really think of him as one of the better players in nba history unless he turns things around quick.. He started going downhill at like 28 or something, not good..

Chrisclover
09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
He was among the first NBA stars I liked in the beginning. His howling and muscles were freaking cool! And I remember he took naked photos for a magazine.

Shady66
09-01-2014, 10:21 AM
He and Nash will always be my all time favorite players. He was so good in phoenix and his first year with the Knicks. Its too bad his knees never lasted. I will remember him for his amazing power dunks and being a awesome pick n roll finisher. Also yelling AND 1 every time he brought it inside lol

TheNumber37
09-01-2014, 10:39 AM
I REALLY and TRULY think that all of Amare's injuries are behind him.
He's never going to be asked to do much and at this stage in his career his game has changed more to post up and he knows what his body can handle.

Amareis 31. I say he plays at least another 5 or 6 years and he is going to be pro and vet and a contributor to whatever team he plays on.
I like to think about Alonzo Mourning's twilight years, or even Grant Hill

ManningToTyree
09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
He will probably be a hall of famer when all is said and done. He will be remembered for his dominant years in Phoenix and in NY making basketball relevant again (no amare means no melo). He still can be a contributor off the bench as a scorer so he isn't completely washed up

ManRam
09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
He will probably be a hall of famer when all is said and done. He will be remembered for his dominant years in Phoenix and in NY making basketball relevant again (no amare means no melo). He still can be a contributor off the bench as a scorer so he isn't completely washed up

I think it's a coin flip right now whether or not he makes the Hall, and ultimately is dependent on what he can do for the next 4-5 years.

His floundering recently has clouded my view of his career. His injuries, his amazing defensive incompetence and just the whole NYK experience as a whole are just all too prevalent of a memory for me right now, and (unfairly) I do find myself appreciating his greatness earlier a bit less because of it.

ThuglifeJ
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
I held him up there right (at least as potebtial) with KG, Dirk when he was in PHX.

One of my favorite and most exciting PFs to play..such a beast.

But honestly he's definitely faded a bit to me after all the injuries.

Go watch his thing on Netflix if you want to re-like him again..

sep11ie
09-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I won't.

MrfadeawayJB
09-01-2014, 11:24 AM
A human highlight reel pre-injury. A guy that strongly benefited from an uptempo system with a strong and creative pg. A guy that had the injury bug bite him, and take away a few good years of ball. I think he had potential to be the #2 guy on a championship team with his talent

Cal827
09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
He's one of my favorite players. It's a damn shame that his body isn't able to hold up. He was outstanding (at least offensively) during his phoenix days, and pretty much was the one man army leading the Knicks to the playoffs, until they traded away the team for Melo (I'm not saying that as a shot, and seeing how Amar'es held up, probably a good decision).

He was one of the guys who were able to own Duncan 1 on 1 (although it didn't really show in the head to head playoff series). He got like 35 per game on TD in one of those series lol.

I still think he could be a HOFER.... I think his end of career might tail off like another freakish PF who had injury problems; Antonio Mcdyess. Can come off the bench for a good team, and can provide the offensive punch in the secondary.

IDunknown
09-01-2014, 11:32 AM

I think he will also. He was: rookie of the year, 6×all star, and made 5 all NBA teams. He also had more playoff success than Chris Paul, and Carmelo Anthony.

kobe4thewinbang
09-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Injuries tainted his career, but he was really good in Phoenix. Awesome block on Tim Duncan, 'member?

bleedprple&gold
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
I think he will be remembered more for his time in New York as overpaid and overrated and preventing Melo from having a competitive team around him. Don't get me wrong he was great in Phoenix but a lot of that had to do with Nash and D'Antoni. He formed a deadly 1-2 combo with Nash on the pick-and-roll. But as soon as he left for New York it became apparent rather quickly that he was a product of the system and wouldn't be the same player elsewhere and would never live up to that contract. Then the injuries came and he was never able to recover and it just highlighted more what a mistake that contract was.

ewing
09-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I think he will be remembered more for his time in New York as overpaid and overrated and preventing Melo from having a competitive team around him. Don't get me wrong he was great in Phoenix but a lot of that had to do with Nash and D'Antoni. He formed a deadly 1-2 combo with Nash on the pick-and-roll. But as soon as he left for New York it became apparent rather quickly that he was a product of the system and wouldn't be the same player elsewhere and would never live up to that contract. Then the injuries came and he was never able to recover and it just highlighted more what a mistake that contract was.

he scored 25 a night when he first came to New York and is still a very efficient scorer when not hurt. Amare can put the ball in hole.

theheatles
09-01-2014, 03:32 PM
An athletic freak stud that started focusing more on (ridiculous) fashion when he should have did more strength and conditioning training

JEDean89
09-01-2014, 04:23 PM
lol his fashion isn't the problem, all players do tons of **** other than play ball. his body just can't handle his explosiveness, his knees weren't able to hold up. we might see a 14-6 amare this year but his defense is so god awful i don't think he'll ever be a meaningful player again.

IDunknown
09-01-2014, 04:28 PM

He was playing at mvp level the first season with Raymond Felton.

Sactown
09-01-2014, 04:57 PM
As the guy who punched a fire extinguisher

Chrisclover
09-01-2014, 09:00 PM
he scored 25 a night when he first came to New York and is still a very efficient scorer when not hurt. Amare can put the ball in hole.

exactly. He had like 10 consecutive 30 plus games, which squashed all the doubts if he could play well without a phenomenal PG like Nash. As an established all-star, he certainly had enough skills to stay fantastic if not for the obnoxious injury bug.

Chrisclover
09-01-2014, 09:03 PM
lol his fashion isn't the problem, all players do tons of **** other than play ball. his body just can't handle his explosiveness, his knees weren't able to hold up. we might see a 14-6 amare this year but his defense is so god awful i don't think he'll ever be a meaningful player again.

It was so amazing that the Suns med team was able to keep him and Nash healthy. Maybe if he goes back there, he will extend his career a bit longer.

Chrisclover
09-01-2014, 09:07 PM
As the guy who punched a fire extinguisher

And guffawed with the then injured Linsanity when the team was losing. I know it was out of context that maybe he was joking with Lin but it just made him look so silly.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I'll remember him at his best with the Suns.

KnicksorBust
09-02-2014, 12:23 PM
If the Suns owners didn't screw up negotiations with Joe Johnson then I'm convinced they win a chip and STAT's career is butterfly effect 100x more impressive to the casual fan.

As is, he's still one of the greatest offensive PFs of all-time, with or without Nash. He also dropped like 5 straight 30 point games on Duncan in a playoff series which is pretty absurd.

NYKalltheway
09-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Amare was a beast for a short while. Extremely one dimensional for my liking but the way the game was played, there was little to do to stop him legally. If he kept going after his 1st season as a Knick, we'd be having a different kind of conversation here.

amak316
09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
A man who's dumb enough to get into a fist fight with a fire extinguisher the day before a playoff game, and yet still smart enough to outfox James Dolan to the tune of 100M$.

Captain Moroni
09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Alonzo Mourning is a great comparison. Mourning had a chance late in his career to win a ring as a NON-star. Amare could really help a contender. Staying Healthy is the key.

If Amare stays healthy the entire year, he could be a monster in the triangle and help NY win a ton of games. Big If.

Captain Moroni
09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Maybe this year without Felton as his PG......He has a good year

IKnowHoops
09-02-2014, 02:46 PM
He was a guy that had a chance to crack the top 3 PF list of all-time. Had he never been hurt, he was top 7 super easily. If he would of been able to play 16 years injury free, I think he gets in the top 3 PF of all time.

NYKalltheway
09-02-2014, 02:55 PM
He was a guy that had a chance to crack the top 3 PF list of all-time. Had he never been hurt, he was top 7 super easily. If he would of been able to play 16 years injury free, I think he gets in the top 3 PF of all time.

Top 3 PF? Never.

Bad defender.
Crap rebounder.
Almost non-existent low post game.
Not energetic enough (ie bad team defense)

Top 5 PF all time offensively is closer to reality though.

Chavacano
09-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I'll remember him with Nash and D'antoni.

kidfury
09-03-2014, 11:59 PM
In terms of excitement during their prime, Amare to me is similar Shawn Kemp - The Rainman. The powerful dunks from either were crowd raising. Both fell HARD. Amare is still playing so difficult to say what he does his final years of his career. If healthy he has a chance to contribute otherwise he's only collecting a pay check. Kemp, gave up imo, his conditioning and bloating up to the size of a blimp, make many forget how nice he once was.

Amare, will not be remembered for his big contract. He'll be remembered for being an exciting player who's career was hampered by injuries because of his reliance on his physical play style.

koreancabbage
09-04-2014, 08:53 AM
always as a Suns player. that was when he was the most effective.

0nekhmer
09-04-2014, 11:32 AM
He could never sustain dominance, but when he was healthy, he was a beast. As a raptors fan, ill remember him mostly beside nash, but when he went to the knicks, he proved all of the doubters wrong that he didn't need nash to flourish.

IDunknown
09-04-2014, 11:47 AM
He could never sustain dominance, but when he was healthy, he was a beast. As a raptors fan, ill remember him mostly beside nash, but when he went to the knicks, he proved all of the doubters wrong that he didn't need nash to flourish.

Yeah and it's funny too, because rookie of the year season was with Marbury. He was good before and after playing with Nash. People really thought Hakeem Warrick could fill in for him.

Mr.B
09-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't even remember him while he's playing much less when his career is done.

Chronz
09-05-2014, 12:40 PM
I will remember Amare as the guy who unfairly won ROY because of the flash of his game but also as someone who was underrated at his peak.

ewing
09-05-2014, 03:29 PM
as big who finished and moved without the ball better then anyone in the league

mightybosstone
09-06-2014, 07:33 AM
People don't realize how dominant Amare was offensively in his best years. Hell, the guy led the league in OWS once and was third in total WS twice. I do think he benefited greatly from Nash and Dantoni's system, but I don't think the system alone should condemn his legacy to mediocrity when he was so damn good.

As for whether or not he makes the Hall, I'd say he's probably in. I want someone to find me a list of players who made five All-NBA teams and didn't make the Hall of Fame. It would be a very short list. KJ was the only guy I could think of, and Amare was a far better player at his peak than KJ was.

JasonJohnHorn
09-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Well... I will remember him as one of the most round offensive players in the post. He could face the basekt, go off the dribble, take it in the post, cut and drive on the pick-and-roll and act as a spot up shooter. For a center, you just can't ask for much more than that.

He was pretty amazing on the offensive end. And like Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway, I'll think it was a bummer that he got injured and slowed him down.

Hopefully he can pull a Benard King and bounce back and have another 3-4 All-Star seasons.

JayW_1023
09-06-2014, 09:16 AM
This generation's Shawn Kemp.

RLundi
09-06-2014, 10:15 AM
He will fade into obscurity.

Cohiba
09-06-2014, 02:19 PM
As a guy who was really quite a talent...with Steve Nash passing him the ball.

NYKalltheway
09-06-2014, 07:30 PM
and Amare was a far better player at his peak than KJ was.

how so?

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
ill remember him for being injury prone and over rated.

smith&wesson
09-06-2014, 07:34 PM
People don't realize how dominant Amare was offensively in his best years. Hell, the guy led the league in OWS once and was third in total WS twice. I do think he benefited greatly from Nash and Dantoni's system, but I don't think the system alone should condemn his legacy to mediocrity when he was so damn good.

As for whether or not he makes the Hall, I'd say he's probably in. I want someone to find me a list of players who made five All-NBA teams and didn't make the Hall of Fame. It would be a very short list. KJ was the only guy I could think of, and Amare was a far better player at his peak than KJ was.

lol no he wasnt.

CavsYanksDuke
09-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Fantastic dunker, terrible contract, but is extremely underrated. Seemed like an all-around great teammate, honestly.

WadeKobe
09-06-2014, 11:15 PM
An athletic freak who couldn't defend or out rebound physically inferior players.

JLynn943
09-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Someone who had an incredible run on those Phoenix teams but whose body betrayed him (and also couldn't play defense)

DillyDill
09-07-2014, 12:13 AM
An expolsive freak of nature athlete loved his dunksss thank God for youtube

Confusious
09-07-2014, 03:44 AM
I'll remember him as a Phoenix Sun player with an interesting sense of eye gear fashion, before he left to New York and provided them with the same amount of success that NY is accustomed to. Which is to say... nothing.

DemarDerozan
09-07-2014, 04:29 AM
His career is done...

But I will remember five great seasons with PHO and one with NYK.
The dunks and the Nash/Amare connections.

I will never forget him getting kicked out of a playoff game for standing up off the bench and walking three steps. Or his back to back blocks on Blatche when he tried to punk him.

DitchDat
09-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Big talent, but not someone who's going to make the history books. Too many injuries.

basketfan4life
09-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I'll remember him for scoring the most ppg in a playoff series for the losing team. He did everything against Spurs that one year. Avreaging like 39 ppg against Duncan but the suns lost. He definetly owned the spurs that year.

And hurting his hand while punching the fire thing. Missing playoff games for that.

kingsdelez24
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Blake Griffin before Blake Griffin