PDA

View Full Version : Will the Thunder Stagnate this year?

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Of all the teams in the league making changes, it seems like the Thunder have done the least. They do have two young players (Lamb and Adams) who could develop and make the team better, and they already have an MVP and franchise calibre player in Durant and Westbrook, with a solid defender in the front court (Ibaka), all of whom are very young, but given that they have failed to return to the finals for two straight seasons, is it time to look at making a move? Will the Thunder stagnate this year?

Other West teams like the Clippers and Warriors have added anything much either, but both have young cores whose games are improving (Clippers: Griffin and DaJ; Warriors: Curry, Barnes and Klay), so they can expect to get better.

The Kings, Pelicans and Blazers all have young cores as well and will likely improve, and the Mavs may be better this year with the addition of Chandler, though the Rockets lost a key player.

The moves out West have not been as drastic as the moves out east, so it may not impact them, but can this team get better without making any moves? Jackson is due for a pay day as well, and we all know what happened last time they had a good player who was due a pay day.

jerellh528
08-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Do you make a thread of every thought that pops into your head? Lol

HandsOnTheWheel
08-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Didn't Sefolosha sign with the Hawks?

Cal827
08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Well, we already know they are stingy on the cap situation. Kinda surprises me that they don't chase some players for the vet min though, like others. Think if they were able to get Shawn Marion to back-up Durant.

The did get Morrow, which could help, but they should look for a back-up big that can score (E.g. Blatche) Perkins/Adams Doesn't bring in much when it comes to inside offense (at least not yet for Adams)

flea
08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Sefolosha plays in Atlanta.

kingsdelez24
08-31-2014, 07:57 PM
I remember thinking how perfect k-mart was for them, right even up until he got used to standing in corners and forgot how to draw his usual free throw attempts when Westbrook went out.

They could have had Beal, they could have even had more. The only positive is that Steven Adams was acquired through the draft pick they got

PurpleLynch
08-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Sefolosha now plays in Atlanta.

Anyway,Okc is this close to a championship,but they need absolutely more veterans.
I think McGary is a fair pick and played well in the SL.
Lamb and Adams could turn into good role players.
Morrow is a nice piece,but nothing of crazy.
They should absolutely cut Perkins and get a backup small forward for KD(he will be gassed in the playoffs if Brooks keeps as usual his mpg high).
Right now the biggest problem imo is Brooks. I mean,he isn't that bad,but his lack of offensive plays for his team is what holds back Okc against elite teams.

MrfadeawayJB
08-31-2014, 08:27 PM
They need a big that can score in the post

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Didn't Sefolosha sign with the Hawks?

You are right! How did I not hear about that signing.

FriedTofuz
08-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Can the thunder trade Perkins for nothing and use that cap space to sign a better post scorer?

KnicksorBust
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Trade Westbrook. The tragedy is if they had done this 4 years when I first suggested it they might already have a title.

bleedprple&gold
09-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Thunder act like they won the championship. Content with making no moves like they don't need to improve. Just go over the damn luxury tax, they'll more then make up that money if they win the championship. Their stinginess is why I hope they don't win. You gotta be willing to spend money if you want to get better.

seikou8
09-01-2014, 04:17 AM
they are championship contenders but i say they could of been and still be more if they spend the money

arlubas
09-01-2014, 04:40 AM
The way they are now, they seem to me like a team that's an instant favorite to go to the WCF each and every year but always failing to deliver on a title, whether by losing there or in the Finals. I don't know, they just seem to be missing the pieces that turn a team with talent into an actual favorite to win it all, plus an offensive system that will get them easy buckets in tight PO situations, instead of looking for them through hero-ball.

PS: Mitch McGary is a very nice guy for them, I loved him in Michigan and believe he will be a solid instalment to their frontline. Perk just isn't starting material guy anymore, whether they like it or not, they must start reducing him minutes drastically and give more PT to McGary and Adams to have them more experienced come PO time.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2014, 05:36 AM
They already have. The only real change to the performance of that team in the last 3-4 years has been purely based on their opponent. Westbrook has improved some since Harden left (he had to pick up that slack) but KD is pretty much the same player since 2010 or so (improved some, but nothing substantial). Ibaka made a bit of a leap 2 years ago with his jumper, again after Harden left and the team needed guys to pick up the slack.

THE MTL
09-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Sometimes if it aint broke dont try to fix it. They havent put together a healthy post season since they made it to the championship ONLY 3 years ago.

IndyRealist
09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
I can't believe people think Durant should improve more. He is arguably the best player in the league, at least top 3. If he wins zero championships he's still a first ballot HoFer.

Having said that, the noose around their necks is Perkins, and has been since they signed him to that ridiculous deal. He cost them Harden and limits the minutes of better players. They should have shipped him out ages ago.

PurpleLynch
09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Trade Westbrook. The tragedy is if they had done this 4 years when I first suggested it they might already have a title.

Trading Westbrook for who exactly?

kobe4thewinbang
09-01-2014, 04:23 PM
I can't believe people think Durant should improve more. He is arguably the best player in the league, at least top 3. If he wins zero championships he's still a first ballot HoFer.

Having said that, the noose around their necks is Perkins, and has been since they signed him to that ridiculous deal. He cost them Harden and limits the minutes of better players. They should have shipped him out ages ago.And yet they didn't amnesty him...AGAIN. OKC is going to keep coming up short until Westbrook chills the hell out. My opinion? KD & Westbrook will never win a title together because they both need the ball, especially Durant, to be effective. Knowing they have KD and watching Westbrook do what he does is hilarious. They should trade Westbrook for a nice package that includes a post player and give Jackson the money Westbrook is making because Jackson kept them alive in the playoffs last year.

JEDean89
09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
^^^ people who say this are idiots. without westbrook the thunder are just another good western conference team. they are what? 24 and 25 years old? you really think a guy who averaged 27 8 and 8 in the playoffs is the problem, especially when he is an incredible defender? how about looking at who, other than their 3 best players are good. Kendrick Perkins? Jeremy Lamb? Reggie Jackson their 4th best player and plays the same position as their 2nd best player. When Steven Adams and Mitch McGary come into their own the thunder will be ready. They are still way too young of a team overall to win a chip. Time to trade some of that youth depth for vets.

Ariza's Better
09-01-2014, 06:24 PM
They're still a top 2 teams in the west. My only problem with there roster is Perkins. Why is he still on that roster?

akesh99
09-01-2014, 06:53 PM
They need to go out and offer Adams or Lamb or whoever it takes to snag Monroe from Detoit. He'd be such a great fit in that front court next to Ibaka.

kobe4thewinbang
09-01-2014, 08:09 PM
^^^ people who say this are idiots. without westbrook the thunder are just another good western conference team. they are what? 24 and 25 years old? you really think a guy who averaged 27 8 and 8 in the playoffs is the problem, especially when he is an incredible defender? how about looking at who, other than their 3 best players are good. Kendrick Perkins? Jeremy Lamb? Reggie Jackson their 4th best player and plays the same position as their 2nd best player. When Steven Adams and Mitch McGary come into their own the thunder will be ready. They are still way too young of a team overall to win a chip. Time to trade some of that youth depth for vets.Some vets would be nice. I think they're getting too many young pieces that will mean contention in a couple-few years. But Westbrook is certainly part of the problem. You did watch him shoot that nonsensical 3 that nearly hit the clock with two defenders on him, didn't you? He and KD can't keep playing the 'my turn, now your turn, oh your turn again? ugh' game. KD needs to play better next time in the playoffs and quit letting small guys bug him so much, learn some post game too, but Westbrook nearly plays for the other team at the worst moments.

Clippersfan86
09-01-2014, 11:39 PM
People getting defensive missed the point of the thread. You can stagnate and be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best. It merely means that you have stopped growing, which OKC clearly has, at least for now. Guys have filled in when they lost pieces (Harden, Kmart etc) but the team hasn't surpassed what it was say 3 years ago. Not just in terms of how far they go in playoffs, but in terms of how good the team is in general.

Chronz
09-02-2014, 09:11 AM
On my way to Vegas, thinking about going all in on them

KnicksorBust
09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Trading Westbrook for who exactly?

At this point it's tough to say. My favorite offer that would have made perfect sense at the time was Westbrook for Dwight Howard (Orlando). The real problem is that they waited too long and lost Harden. I always thought Harden was a much better fit with Durant. I still feel that way to be honest.

Now I'd be looking to get a guard that can shoot and a big.

Dragic + Markief Morris?
Afflalo or Lawson + Faried?
Teague + Millsap?

flea
09-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Chronz Jr. is either getting an expense-free trip to college or he's going to have to slave away his high school years at the Dairy Queen to preserve pop's knees - and it's all in Westbrook's hands. Frightening.

Clippersfan86
09-02-2014, 12:53 PM

If you need a place to stay after losing all of your money HMU.

Kaner
09-02-2014, 01:35 PM
At this point it's tough to say. My favorite offer that would have made perfect sense at the time was Westbrook for Dwight Howard (Orlando). The real problem is that they waited too long and lost Harden. I always thought Harden was a much better fit with Durant. I still feel that way to be honest.

Dragic + Markief Morris?
Teague + Millsap?

I like the first 2 trades alot, especially if Ibaka can start at center. I'd also throw-in Lowry+Amir Johnson or Bledsoe and Plumlee/Morris as trades that I think would make sense for both teams.

D-Leethal
09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Westbrook is a helluve player, top 10 player in my eyes and a one of the few guys who can carry an offense nearly by himself as a #1 guy, but I do think if they can replace his talent with a guy at a similar level who fits better (like a Steph Curry) they would be much better off. Not saying GSW would ever wanna do that, but thats kind of what they need since outside of Ibaka, the rest of their squad are infants on rookie contracts. I don't think getting a big downgrade at PG plus another decent player is enough to keep them in championship contention if they lose Russ. They need another superstar to make up for the lack of talent and vets across the board.

D-Leethal
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Its almost like Shaq + Kobe's Lakers (Except Shaq and Kobe were better compliments), but when you have supporting cast of some decent role players and rookie nobodies, your top 2 guns have gotta be top 10 quality guys.

PurpleLynch
09-02-2014, 04:18 PM

Dragic + Markief Morris?
Teague + Millsap?

Good potential trades for both teams. I'd like more Lawson+ Faried,even if I respect a lot Westbrook.

Lawson/Jackson
Lamb/Morrow
KD/Huestis(rookie)
Faried/Perry Jones/McGary/Collison
Ibaka/Adams/Perkins

They should take a small forward imo.

todu82
09-02-2014, 04:31 PM
I think the Thunder will still do alright, that said they need another impact player before they become a true title contender.

Sanjay
09-04-2014, 12:55 AM
It is tough when you have one of the greatest teams of all-time in your conference.

flea
09-05-2014, 12:09 AM
It is tough when you have one of the greatest teams of all-time in your conference.

The Rockets?

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 01:39 AM
We're getting rid of Perkins.. tough to make moves when your gameplan was off drafting picks and they screwed up with Perkins... He's such a liability. I thought we were getting Celtics Perkins but we got a fat guy who just eats donuts when he's not playing basketball. Really hope we can free up some cap space and get Marc Gasol (PLEASE)!

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 01:43 AM
People getting defensive missed the point of the thread. You can stagnate and be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best. It merely means that you have stopped growing, which OKC clearly has, at least for now. Guys have filled in when they lost pieces (Harden, Kmart etc) but the team hasn't surpassed what it was say 3 years ago. Not just in terms of how far they go in playoffs, but in terms of how good the team is in general.

This team is WAY better than it was three years ago. It's just that other teams have caught up. Idk but KD has improved tremendously. Westbrook has improved a lot as well. He's not as reckless and he had his best season last year. Dude was the best player for us in the playoffs tbh. Kendrick has gotten us stuck and we still haven't found a sixth man replacement for Harden. We definitely are a better team, though. Next season, we can get rid of Perkins and perhaps add Monroe or Gasol.

rhino17
09-05-2014, 01:49 AM
I don't think they will ever win a championship unless kevin goes on some unheard of all time tear and becomes a top 10 player.

Their organization just doesn't seem to retool or rework anything, they haven't tried to do anything different since they became "contenders." they've really only become worse every year

It still blows my mind that they let Harden go for next to nothing when their big 3 could have dominated the NBA for a decade

Clippersfan86
09-05-2014, 02:56 AM
This team is WAY better than it was three years ago. It's just that other teams have caught up. Idk but KD has improved tremendously. Westbrook has improved a lot as well. He's not as reckless and he had his best season last year. Dude was the best player for us in the playoffs tbh. Kendrick has gotten us stuck and we still haven't found a sixth man replacement for Harden. We definitely are a better team, though. Next season, we can get rid of Perkins and perhaps add Monroe or Gasol.

Hmm.. I suppose other teams catching up is just as feasible, likely. So from that angle them having improved is possible obviously. i thought I did name Westbrook though as being the main guy who HAD improved. Durant made a leap two years ago in his playmaking, but last year I think he got a boost because he had to do more when Westbrook went down for 40+ games or whatever.

Wasn't it during that time that Durant put up like 35 ppg for 20 straight games or something silly? I don't think his skillset improved, so much as his load he had to carry did. Same with Blake Griffin last year. People acted shocked that he was that good when Clippers fans have known it for years, or at the very least since the year before. It wasn't that Blake's game exploded, so much as he no longer had Paul dominating the ball so much and keeping it out of his hands. Westbrook inhibits Durant a lot individually in the same exact way and vice versa (Durant inhibiting him).

I still for the life of me can't figure out why OKC didn't amnesty Perkins when they had like 3 chances to. I've always thought Nick Collison was better in the starting 5 due to his defense/hustle TBH.

Clippersfan86
09-05-2014, 02:58 AM
I don't think they will ever win a championship unless kevin goes on some unheard of all time tear and becomes a top 10 player.

Their organization just doesn't seem to retool or rework anything, they haven't tried to do anything different since they became "contenders." they've really only become worse every year

It still blows my mind that they let Harden go for next to nothing when their big 3 could have dominated the NBA for a decade

Saying they have gotten worse is too far. At worst they've remained the same, probably slightly improved. Their SRS last year was slightly higher than during their finals run year for example. I do agree though that they are complacent when it comes to adding pieces through trade/free agency.

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Hmm.. I suppose other teams catching up is just as feasible, likely. So from that angle them having improved is possible obviously. i thought I did name Westbrook though as being the main guy who HAD improved. Durant made a leap two years ago in his playmaking, but last year I think he got a boost because he had to do more when Westbrook went down for 40+ games or whatever.

Wasn't it during that time that Durant put up like 35 ppg for 20 straight games or something silly? I don't think his skillset improved, so much as his load he had to carry did. Same with Blake Griffin last year. People acted shocked that he was that good when Clippers fans have known it for years, or at the very least since the year before. It wasn't that Blake's game exploded, so much as he no longer had Paul dominating the ball so much and keeping it out of his hands. Westbrook inhibits Durant a lot individually in the same exact way and vice versa (Durant inhibiting him).

I still for the life of me can't figure out why OKC didn't amnesty Perkins when they had like 3 chances to. I've always thought Nick Collison was better in the starting 5 due to his defense/hustle TBH.

We should have amnestied him. Start Adams or Collison instead.. I very much detest Perkins. He is so damn useless.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 04:19 AM
OKC will be OKC and not win again this year.

Clippersfan86
09-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Do you ever say anything nice about a team besides your own man? Somehow every conversation comes back to how every team besides the Spurs are fu** ups. Be humble man.

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 04:39 PM

We might've beaten you with a healthy Ibaka.. Stop being incompetent. Spurs is a great and humble franchise. Never thought they had fan's who behave like Heat/Lakers fans.

kdspurman
09-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Do you ever say anything nice about a team besides your own man? Somehow every conversation comes back to how every team besides the Spurs are fu** ups. Be humble man.

We might've beaten you with a healthy Ibaka.. Stop being incompetent. Spurs is a great and humble franchise. Never thought they had fan's who behave like Heat/Lakers fans.

That's all he does. I've come to the conclusion that every fan base has them. Prior to him, I don't think there were any Spurs fans who were like that (on PSD), so maybe this is just part of the process.

Clippersfan86
09-05-2014, 06:37 PM
That's all he does. I've come to the conclusion that every fan base has them. Prior to him, I don't think there were any Spurs fans who were like that (on PSD), so maybe this is just part of the process.

I admit in the past I was the Clippers fan around here who gave the team a bad rap for being a homer (maybe I still am). Thing is.. I just talked a ton about the Clippers and maybe blindly supported them. I didn't go out of my way to constantly rip other teams in the process though so much. God I hope I'm not still like this lol.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Do you call out flash for talking chit about the spurs everytime he gets? And is acting pompous something you just do?

akagiredsuns
09-05-2014, 07:40 PM
LOL how much Westbrook is being overvalued and overrated in this thread. the guy is holding Durant back to me Derrick rose would be a much better point guard to complement Durant. Westbrook just likes to take shots on his own. thunder need to move on from him and make a nice package in return. Lol still remember that shot RW took with a double team and hit the shot clock. Guy is a ball hog. Westbrook and Perkins package will net a nice return. Otherwise, thunder will keep being the buffalo bills of the NBA year in year out.

phantasyyy
09-05-2014, 07:55 PM
some of the trade proposals presented for westbrook are outragous

Dragic + Markief Morris?
Teague + Millsap?
Lowry + Amir?

Its gonna take a whole lot more to aquire Westy than those aforemention packages, the nuggets one being the closest (but even then faried+ibaka would just be too small of a starting line-up).

FlashBolt
09-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Do you call out flash for talking chit about the spurs everytime he gets? And is acting pompous something you just do?

When did I talk bad about the Spurs? I just said that with Ibaka, we might've won 3-4 games rather than not. The only thing I ever said about the Spurs was that Kawhi is overrated. And he's not even the Spurs as a whole.. Go find a post about me trashing Spurs. Most professional and imo, the funnest team to be a part of. You just insult every other team by saying they don't have 5 rings or that they will never beat Spurs... Notice I said "might've" and not "would have".. Because I respect the Spurs. No one ever takes you serious because you troll too much.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
When did I talk bad about the Spurs? I just said that with Ibaka, we might've won 3-4 games rather than not. The only thing I ever said about the Spurs was that Kawhi is overrated. And he's not even the Spurs as a whole.. Go find a post about me trashing Spurs. Most professional and imo, the funnest team to be a part of. You just insult every other team by saying they don't have 5 rings or that they will never beat Spurs... Notice I said "might've" and not "would have".. Because I respect the Spurs. No one ever takes you serious because you troll too much.

You were talking good till the end. Nice try though.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Back on topic. The thunder have too many low IQ players. I don't see them getting past the second round this year. The refs might help them though.

kdspurman
09-05-2014, 08:51 PM

Everyone is going to talk, and when I see fit, I defend my team of course. (it's what fans do) What I don't do is go into every thread and bring the Spurs into it even if they have nothing to do with it. That's not called pompous my man. That just ends up just derailing the thread and taking it off topic.

kdspurman
09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I admit in the past I was the Clippers fan around here who gave the team a bad rap for being a homer (maybe I still am). Thing is.. I just talked a ton about the Clippers and maybe blindly supported them. I didn't go out of my way to constantly rip other teams in the process though so much. God I hope I'm not still like this lol.

We're all homers deep down :) Some just go about it differently.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Everyone is going to talk, and when I see fit, I defend my team of course. (it's what fans do) What I don't do is go into every thread and bring the Spurs into it even if they have nothing to do with it. That's not called pompous my man. That just ends up just derailing the thread and taking it off topic.

Look I replied 6 days after the thread was made. I stayed on topic and never brought up the spurs once. What I do hate is when someone tries to belittle people and then pretend like they didn't do anything wrong. If you wanna say something, just be direct next time.

kdspurman
09-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Look I replied 6 days after the thread was made. I stayed on topic and never brought up the spurs once. What I do hate is when someone tries to belittle people and then pretend like they didn't do anything wrong. If you wanna say something, just be direct next time.

It may not directly pertain to this particular thread, but that's just what history has shown... I do see you didn't bring them up here, so my bad.

SPURSFAN1
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
It may not directly pertain to this particular thread, but that's just what history has shown... I do see you didn't bring them up here, so my bad.

No problem then.