PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Pelicans making the playoffs this season?

LTBaByyy
08-30-2014, 05:59 PM
I honestly believe they can bounce the Rockets or Grizzlies out of the playoffs for the last spot if they are healthy.

Especially when you factor the development of Anthony Davis from an All Star to Superstar.

Remember the Suns had 48 wins last season and didn't make the playoffs.

I think that could happen with the Rockets or Grizzlies w/ one of them being 7th seed and the other being the 9th seed. I have a feeling Pelicans will be the 8th seed this year.

Holiday
Gordon
Evans
Davis
Asik

Rivers/Russ Smith
Freddete/Darius Miller
Salmons/James Southerland
Anderson/Babbit
Withey/Patric Young/Alexis Ajinca

The Western Conference is stacked!

jaydubb
08-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I think they could definitely be a surprise team. It'd have to take about 50 wins to make the playoffs in the west tho, I don't see pelicans doing that THIS YEAR

flea
08-30-2014, 06:05 PM
If the bench beyond Anderson sorts itself out we will be a force. Otherwise, we're on the outside looking in. Grizzlies have a better starting 5 and an underrated bench with Koufos, Carter, and some solid young guards. Rockets got worse and I see them as a team in the mix for falling out because they don't have much of a bench either, but we'll see.

JEDean89
08-30-2014, 06:09 PM
who the **** knows in the west. the nuggets were a 57 win team before they went down, the Pelicans should be stacked Phoenix will likely be just as good. I honestly think the warriors, blazers and rockets will all have a hard time making the playoffs next year. the west is 11 deep.

minny, utah, la and sac are the only bad teams and look at minnys lineup

pekovich/dieng
young/bennet
wiggins/brewer
martin/lavine
rubio/barea

not a playoff team yet but not a team to sleep on.

LTBaByyy
08-30-2014, 06:22 PM
who the **** knows in the west. the nuggets were a 57 win team before they went down, the Pelicans should be stacked Phoenix will likely be just as good. I honestly think the warriors, blazers and rockets will all have a hard time making the playoffs next year. the west is 11 deep.

minny, utah, la and sac are the only bad teams and look at minnys lineup

pekovich/dieng
young/bennet
wiggins/brewer
martin/lavine
rubio/barea

not a playoff team yet but not a team to sleep on.

I know!

Pelicans and Nuggets finally healthy (Both with great starting line ups)

Kings w/ a full year of Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cousins (Playing w/ Team USA together as well) will improve

Suns another year together & new 6th man Isaiah Thomas

Man the West is tough

LTBaByyy
08-30-2014, 06:26 PM
If I was the NBA, I would have 32 teams.

1) Have Seattle and Las Vegas as expansion teams in the West (Both would be major profit for NBA)

2) Move Grizzlies to the East (Makes sense geographically)

Problem solved: Parity.

Cracka2HI!
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
New Orleans is probably the best example of how stacked the West is. They should be this years Suns. Near 50 win team that misses the playoffs.

JEDean89
08-30-2014, 06:55 PM
then there would be 17 teams in the east in a 32 team league, you could only move either the Grizz or Pelicans. i think seattle and vancouver should be next in line for a team. they are close geographically but draw from completely different fanbases. i'm not in love with a team in vegas though i don't think it would be a bad spot either. still, seattle and vancouver are probably the 2 biggest untapped north american markets.

smith&wesson
08-30-2014, 07:00 PM
I honestly believe they can bounce the Rockets or Grizzlies out of the playoffs for the last spot if they are healthy.

Especially when you factor the development of Anthony Davis from an All Star to Superstar.

Remember the Suns had 48 wins last season and didn't make the playoffs.

I think that could happen with the Rockets or Grizzlies w/ one of them being 7th seed and the other being the 9th seed. I have a feeling Pelicans will be the 8th seed this year.

Holiday
Gordon
Evans
Davis
Asik

Rivers/Russ Smith
Freddete/Darius Miller
Salmons/James Southerland
Anderson/Babbit
Withey/Patric Young/Alexis Ajinca

The Western Conference is stacked!

solid starting 5, but their bench is among the worst in the NBA if not the worst!

flea
08-30-2014, 07:05 PM
No way is it the worst in the league, if only because they have one of the best 6th men in the league. But yeah, beyond Ryno it's thin. I'm optimistic for either Withey or Young giving us someone to bang, but the bench guards are all huge questions.

Htownballa1622
08-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I think it's more realistic they bounce Mavs from 8th seed but most realistic they finish outside playoffs.

LTBaByyy
08-30-2014, 07:13 PM
I think it's more realistic they bounce Mavs from 8th seed but most realistic they finish outside playoffs.

You still mad about Parsons? :facepalm:

Everything is back to normal, Mavs being the second best Texas team.

We are looking at 3rd-5th seed, Rockets are just looking to make the playoffs

dalton749
08-30-2014, 07:13 PM
If they could find a good 3/d wing and have Gordon or Evans come off the bench they could be really good

smith&wesson
08-30-2014, 07:14 PM
No way is it the worst in the league, if only because they have one of the best 6th men in the league. But yeah, beyond Ryno it's thin. I'm optimistic for either Withey or Young giving us someone to bang, but the bench guards are all huge questions.

who Anderson ? id like to see how he bounces back from injury.

albertajaysfan
08-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Care to explain your views?

When I look at all the playoff teams from the West from last year Houston is the biggest question mark. They have two stars at the top but beyond that their team is looking rather slim. A different coach and I might feel differently but McHale has only proven to be rather inept.

I am not saying they are a lock to miss the playoffs but they are the team that stands out compared to all the others.

Htownballa1622
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
You still mad about Parsons? :facepalm:

Everything is back to normal, Mavs being the second best Texas team.

We are looking at 3rd-5th seed, Rockets are just looking to make the playoffs
Parsons at 15 mil isn't worrying me at all. I've also had discussions with other mavs fans claiming how I hope dirk works with parsons on his shot. No ill feelings towards him getting his pay day. I just feel Mavs are being overrated slightly.

Care to explain your views?

When I look at all the playoff teams from the West from last year Houston is the biggest question mark. They have two stars at the top but beyond that their team is looking rather slim. A different coach and I might feel differently but McHale has only proven to be rather inept.

I am not saying they are a lock to miss the playoffs but they are the team that stands out compared to all the others.

Sure. I feel Houston and Memphis are much more equipped to do better in the west than Dallas. Houston has 2 guys that have played well in the regular season. Problem has been harden in playoffs but he just turned 25. Memphis has a solid team and struggled with injuries last year.

Dallas on the other hand is full of Veterans that aren't in their prime anymore and if someone like Tyson chandler or dirk go down, they're in trouble. Adding parsons and Tyson while losing calderon, carter, and Marion doesn't let Dallas jump from 8 seed to 4 seed imo. They played well in first round but spurs got better as playoffs went on; this is a what have u done for me lately league so that's why I feel Houston/ Memphis are being slept on while Dallas is becoming slightly overrated.

Also, I don't think Pels will get enough wing/guard play to help Davis get to playoffs. Just my opinion.

HandsOnTheWheel
08-30-2014, 08:20 PM
No. They need to acquire another superstar to play alongside Anthony Davis.

Ariza's Better
08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
There is too many question marks on them to be certain. I gonna say no at the moment.

Clippersfan86
08-30-2014, 08:55 PM
I give them pretty much no chance, even if Davis becomes the 3rd or 4th best player already. For the simple fact that the drop off to their second best player is pretty huge. If by some miracle Eric Gordon returned to a 24/5/5 type player like his last season in LA and stayed healthy AND Davis exploded into the 3rd or 4th best player, then yea they would be a playoff team.

da ThRONe
08-30-2014, 11:50 PM
I would say we have about a 12% chance. Good talent not enough chemistry.

As far as Houston I think they'll be better this year. Lacking depth without Lin, Chandler, and Asik but I think Terrence Jones is a stud and will see a well deserved bump in usage.

MrfadeawayJB
08-31-2014, 01:14 AM
It's possible but the teams that might slip are the rockets, warriors, or blazers IMO. The grizz got slightly better and with an injury free season they can be a top 4 seed. Mavs have also improved, at least in paper.

Chronz
08-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Lets not kid ourselves, this team is making the playoffs. AD is going to unleash hell on the NBA, and Asik will make them a top flight defensive team. Health is the only thing stopping their rise.

Clippersfan86
08-31-2014, 01:40 AM
Lets not kid ourselves, this team is making the playoffs. AD is going to unleash hell on the NBA, and Asik will make them a top flight defensive team. Health is the only thing stopping their rise.

Who's falling out? Grizzlies/Mavs/Blazers/Warriors/Rockets/Clippers/Spurs/Thunder? I don't see them having the chemistry or even top to bottom firepower to oust ANY of these teams really. I think the conference is pretty locked in, unless massive injuries happen.

Chronz
08-31-2014, 01:52 AM
Who's falling out? Grizzlies/Mavs/Blazers/Warriors/Rockets/Clippers/Spurs/Thunder? I don't see them having the chemistry or even top to bottom firepower to oust ANY of these teams really. I think the conference is pretty locked in, unless massive injuries happen.

Good Q.

I dont know how you could project chemistry so I dont really give 2 ***** about that, if you're talking about their depth, yeah thats going to be an issue but their projected 6 top players can go toe to toe with anyone based on their play last year. Its a matter of health. Without much thought, Im thinking the Blazers or Rox/Mavs.

Kyben36
08-31-2014, 01:58 AM
No surprise, AD will be the best PF in the league in 2 years IMO.

Asik asik is solid.

I just worry because i dont like any of Gordon (undersized injury prone) Evans (undersized 3, less than spectacular D, and has never steped up since rok season) and Holiday ( over rated in Philly, due to lack of tallent around him, dont see him as a top 10 PG in the league.

but the team will be solid for sure.

GREATNESS ONE
08-31-2014, 02:12 AM
Love em. Bright future, great young ( possibly NEXT) dominating big.

But.. Na they will miss it this year but soon be contending with a few more pieces around Brow.

Vinny642
08-31-2014, 02:54 AM
I really think we can, our squad fully healthy should be able easily

kobe4thewinbang
08-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Pelicans in the playoffs next season? Eh...it's possible. It's a wild west and usually the final game defines who gets #6, #7 and #8 and which team barely misses the cut. If Anthony Davis doesn't get hurt again, they have a shot.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-31-2014, 09:37 AM
I think they have a good chance of making the playoffs. Or just miss out like the Suns did and end up 9th seed.

todu82
08-31-2014, 11:10 AM
They'll make it close but I think they end up falling short.

scissors
08-31-2014, 12:56 PM

1) Have Seattle and Las Vegas as expansion teams in the West (Both would be major profit for NBA)

The problem with parity is necessity. Teams in the west are good and it forces other teams to be good. Teams in the easy suck which makes it less bad to suck. Its a supply and demand issue. The demand to be good in the east isn't as strong and therefore isn't supplied. Moving Memphis would help the issue but not solve it completely. Its going to be more of a slow organic process.

Confusious
08-31-2014, 01:01 PM

It's going to happen. There's internal talks of the NHL opening up two new expansion teams in Seattle and Las Vegas as well. It would be rather exciting, but how on earth would those teams get competitive fast? They'd have to overpay the crappy leftover free agents. At least for the first couple years.

da ThRONe
08-31-2014, 03:26 PM
It's going to happen. There's internal talks of the NHL opening up two new expansion teams in Seattle and Las Vegas as well. It would be rather exciting, but how on earth would those teams get competitive fast? They'd have to overpay the crappy leftover free agents. At least for the first couple years.

Not to get too far of topic, but I'm sure people would be so happy just to have there team(in Seattle case back) they would support them until they could compete. Sure they'd get a high draft pick.

Mr.B
09-01-2014, 12:48 AM
I think NO could definitely make the playoffs. I see them beating out Golden State though not Houston. The Warriors rely heavily on Bogut. When he's healthy he's a force in the paint and is a perfect compliment to Curry. The problem is he seems to always get hurt and miss significant time. With the Pelicans coming on strong I think this is the year Bogut's injury history really hurts them and allows the Pelicans to get in the playoffs.

FlashBolt
09-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Man.. Crazy that Anthony Davis might be the top 5 player next season but strictly speaking, I don't think he's enough to get them to the Playoffs. Can't see them beating the likes of:

GSW
OKC
DAL
SPURS
CLIPPERS
MEMPHIS
BLAZERS
HOUSTON

flea
09-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Davis looked unstoppable on the P&R today. If his range really has improved on the J that's going to be a nightmare to defend.

lkingratedr
09-01-2014, 01:58 AM
their starting 5 looks solid the bench is a very huge question however if they have money to spend there are a few free agents that may be able to help... emeka okafor beasley jermaine o neil sessions just to name a few

KnicksorBust
09-02-2014, 12:26 PM
With the addition of Asik, I can see them being a top 5 defense. That alone should make them a contender.

da ThRONe
09-02-2014, 02:58 PM
With the addition of Asik, I can see them being a top 5 defense. That alone should make them a contender.

Outside of the SF position we are solid everywhere else. I just worry about chemistry. However barring injuries my Pelicans should finish somewhere between 42-48 wins.

Sanjay
09-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Not in the West, but they have some good young talent in Davis, Holiday, Evans and Smith. They could be a four seed if they were in the East.

Bruno
09-04-2014, 01:14 AM
they might have the best three man front court rotation in the NBA. Davis/Asik/Anderson. i could see them squeezing out Memphis. I think memphis is the next playoff team in the west to rebuild.

Vinny642
09-04-2014, 02:55 AM
im excited for us

Clippersfan86
09-04-2014, 04:09 AM
they might have the best three man front court rotation in the NBA. Davis/Asik/Anderson. i could see them squeezing out Memphis. I think memphis is the next playoff team in the west to rebuild.

No, they don't. That title would either go to Noah/Gasol/Gibson or Griffin/Jordan/Hawes.

MTar786
09-04-2014, 05:30 AM
i think they need to package two of these three guys (holiday gordon or evans) for maybe like a disgruntled perennial all star player.

MonroeFAN
09-06-2014, 08:44 AM

No, they don't. That title would either go to Noah/Gasol/Gibson or Griffin/Jordan/Hawes.

Smith / Drummond / Monroe with Monroe as a 6th man could be better than both of those, and I still think NO takes the cake.

THE MTL
09-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Anthony Davis might make the leap into an ELITE NBA player. It wouldn't surprise me if they did make the playoffs. Houston dropped the ball this offseason and I know teams like Phoenix and Pelicans smell blood

Clippersfan86
09-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Smith / Drummond / Monroe with Monroe as a 6th man could be better than both of those, and I still think NO takes the cake.

No, neither of those frontcourts are top 2. Smith is a horribly inefficient chucker who while puts up nice raw stats, metrics say he's far lower impact than you'd think. Monroe is skilled but hasn't improved much and has no paint game for the most part. Drummond is a beast but he's the best of that Detroit trio and statistically he's on par with DeAndre Jordan, our SECOND best frontcourt player.

As for NO... I'm sorry but even if Davis was already as good as prime KG, him alone doesn't make that frontcourt the best in the league. Asik is a role player, Anderson is a nice 3rd or 4th option who can't play D to save his life. It's not the best frontcourt and the statistics/metrics back that up. Unless you assume Asik+Anderson both make big leaps this year and I see zero reason to believe that.

flea
09-06-2014, 02:17 PM
How is Asik any more of a role player than Jordan? How is Hawes's defense any more spectacular than Anderson's? Not saying the Pels frontcourt is better but it's pretty close. IMO it comes down to whether you think Davis or Blake will be better next season.

Clippersfan86
09-06-2014, 02:31 PM
How is Asik any more of a role player than Jordan? How is Hawes's defense any more spectacular than Anderson's? Not saying the Pels frontcourt is better but it's pretty close. IMO it comes down to whether you think Davis or Blake will be better next season.

LOL now you're going to argue that Asik is anywhere on the level of DJ as an overall player? Hawes isn't much better than Anderson defensively. In fact I'd definitely say Anderson is a rich man's version of Hawes for the most part. It's DJ vs Asik that's the big separation here. Davis and Griffin were equals last year mostly, DJ is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Asik. Besides I have NO as having the 3rd best frontcourt, not like I was saying it wasn't great. I just think the Bulls/Clippers have a more balanced and better top to bottom frontcourt.

flea
09-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Blake was better than Davis last year, and I'm a Blake hater and a Pels fan. DJ and Asik are much closer than you think. Asik is a high IQ player, DJ a relatively low one. DJ is an athletic freak but Asik is a very good rebounder as well. Asik is a P&R defensive monster. Both have lead hands.

Clippersfan86
09-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Blake was better than Davis last year, and I'm a Blake hater and a Pels fan. DJ and Asik are much closer than you think. Asik is a high IQ player, DJ a relatively low one. DJ is an athletic freak but Asik is a very good rebounder as well. Asik is a P&R defensive monster. Both have lead hands.

Say we go with your criteria then. Blake>Davis DJ>Asik and Anderson>Hawes, why would NO have the edge in your mind? Look at some of the metrics between Asik and DJ.

DJ: Ortg 121, Drtg 98, PER 18.2, WS/48 .186

Asik: Ortg 109, Drtg 103, PER 14, WS/48 .121

Now mind you the gap in Anderson+Hawes is significant as well, although the small sample size of healthy Anderson last year likely gave it a pretty big boost. But as I said earlier, it's not unfair to call Hawes a poor man's Anderson.