PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad for Wiggins. Should NBA change the rules for rookies ?

smith&wesson
08-27-2014, 01:04 PM
I feel for the kid.. I know some of you will say things like "hes making millions playing a sport he loves" but thats not the point, when was the last time a first overall pick was in limbo??

Wiggins looked very upset and or sad almost during this interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8IpEJ2w9I things like this can get to young players head. How does the media possibly effect a players psyche ?

I understand that LBJ and his decisions have a huge impact on teams and the movement of players.. But the "classy" media really had a field day on this and I cant help but feel for these young players who are just trying to find there place in the league. Should the NBA change the rules for rookies and them being able to be traded for a certain period of time?? Seeing how teams who are in "win now mode" will possibly want to trade them I think its only fair to do so, so that players arent in limbo and to prevent a similar situation from happening again??

sixers247
08-27-2014, 01:06 PM
no

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:07 PM
I think the simple solution would be to give rookies veto power on their own trades for the first season at least. Most of the time the players will agree to the trade because they want to be wanted. At least it gives them the option though in scenarios where they may get screwed over.

sixers247
08-27-2014, 01:10 PM
What about players that get drafted then traded right away or picked then traded draft night? They should have a say too? Maybe we should let the players all be free agents and sign whereever they want to play every year.

bucketss
08-27-2014, 01:11 PM
i like him better in minny i think cavs would have been less patient with him,

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
What about players that get drafted then traded right away or picked then traded draft night? They should have a say too? Maybe we should let the players all be free agents and sign whereever they want to play every year.

No. I think it would be fair to say draft night trades are all good. But give a time period. Like say within 24 hours of the draft a rookie isn't traded, he gains veto power for one season. Gives them time to mentally adjust without being jerked around. It's unfair that the league treats the players as purely pawns and assets, with no consideration for the human side of it. They are still people. Rookies have a hard time adjusting as it is.

jaydubb
08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Most fans don't realize this, but..

The NBA is a business.. Most businesses don't stop to think, "wait a minute, I hope I don't hurt this guys feelings.."

KnicksorBust
08-27-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't feel bad for him at all.

1. He was the #1 overall pick.
2. He's going to make millions.
3. He's got all the opportunity to become a superstar in Minnesota. If he really is going to give it his all and become an elite player than Minnesota will prove he's got it. Now he's gotta put the work in.

Where is the crime again? That he had to do an awkward interview?

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:20 PM

The NBA is a business.. Most businesses don't stop to think, "wait a minute, I hope I don't hurt this guys feelings.."

Actually the best businesses DO indeed care about the feelings/thoughts of their workers. This is a misguided notion that business HAS to or SHOULD be run this way.

lamzoka
08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
That interview was just painful for wiggins. The Cavs Pr should've told him how to answer the question if ask about the trade. which should been something like "Well it's out of my hand, I can only control what I can control which staying in shape and getting ready for the upcoming season. The rest is up to management."

Anyway Wiggins is in a better position in minny, He have a team of his own now and doesn't have to live under LeBron's shadow. HE BE AIGHT

To your question: I think teams should be allow to trade rights, but once they sign you can't trade them til January 15. ( It doest have to be that specific date, but u know why i mean)

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:22 PM

3. He's got all the opportunity to become a superstar in Minnesota. If he really is going to give it his all and become an elite player than Minnesota will prove he's got it. Now he's gotta put the work in.

The good ol "Oh he'll be completely fine, he makes millions". These statements are troubling to me. It shows how far the human collective psyche has declined as we have advanced in other ways.

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
He's fine...one awkward month is nothing. This is a rare occurrence anyway

NYCkid12
08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

BINGO

Also, what about when these guys become free agents and leave teams in limbo for sometimes months ?? Are they considering the "teams feelings?"

Chronz
08-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Why should anyone care about his feelings? More importantly, why would someone in such a fortunate position in the first place be so downtrodden ?

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Why should anyone care about his feelings? More importantly, why would someone in such a fortunate position in the first place be so downtrodden ?

Yup. They should become robots because all that matters in life is money.

Shady66
08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
ESPN are a bunch of twats

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2014, 01:30 PM
I think Wiggins will be better fit with Wolves over Cavs. With the Wolves he has the chance to be the man right away. Where with Cavs he be in the shadows of LeBron. Wiggins might not win right away in the tough west. But in the long run Wolves looking good.

NYCkid12
08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Actually the best businesses DO indeed care about the feelings/thoughts of their workers. This is a misguided notion that business HAS to or SHOULD be run this way.

To a certain extent yes, but do businesses not fire people regularly? And not always for performance reasons either, but because at the end of the day it is the right decision for the company for whatever reason; position is no longer needed, person makes too much money and there are cheaper younger options, job is being out-sourced, etc.

Those people I'm sure will not be happy they're losing there jobs, but the company is not going to change there decision because someone is upset. Not good ones at least

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
I think Wiggins will be better fit with Wolves over Cavs. With the Wolves he has the chance to be the man right away. Where with Cavs he be in the shadows of LeBron. Wiggins might not win right away in the tough west. But in the long run Wolves looking good.

It's better for him no doubt. Doesn't mean that he hasn't been treated like a sack of potatoes to start his career. The NBA could stand to transition rookies better by not allowing these scenarios. Either trade draft night, or you can't trade until next offseason. Will give the players time to mentally adjust and handle everything on their plate before being jerked around. The Cavs/Wolves had this wrapped up over a month beforehand. They are the ones who didn't think enough about the players involved.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:35 PM
To a certain extent yes, but do businesses not fire people regularly? And not always for performance reasons either, but because at the end of the day it is the right decision for the company for whatever reason; position is no longer needed, person makes too much money and there are cheaper younger options, job is being out-sourced, etc.

Those people I'm sure will not be happy they're losing there jobs, but the company is not going to change there decision because someone is upset. Not good ones at least

How many businesses hire you, then fire you for no reason the first chance they get? To compare a sports league to a normal job would be foolish. My point was that the idea that any sort of business has to be cutthroat and without consideration for others by design is flawed. Is it easier to succeed in business when you step on toes and only care about the bottom line? Maybe. But as I said the best businesses ALSO value the thoughts/feelings/circumstances of their employees. So when people say "It's just a business" when referring to a league that exists due to the 400+ players playing... it seems ignorant. These are PEOPLE. Not Playstation 4's or big screen TV's.

NYCkid12
08-27-2014, 01:36 PM
It's better for him no doubt. Doesn't mean that he hasn't been treated like a sack of potatoes to start his career. The NBA could stand to transition rookies better by not allowing these scenarios. Either trade draft night, or you can't trade until next offseason. Will give the players time to mentally adjust and handle everything on their plate before being jerked around. The Cavs/Wolves had this wrapped up over a month beforehand. They are the ones who didn't think enough about the players involved.

So ill go back to one of my earlier points, when these guys become free agents and keep teams in limbo, what is the difference?

Crackadalic
08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Use that anger and drop 50 on the cavs this season. I'm calling it.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:39 PM
So ill go back to one of my earlier points, when these guys become free agents and keep teams in limbo, what is the difference?

How the hell is that the same? Mulling job/contract offers and taking time on a decision is not anywhere near the same ethically as company/team transferring you or firing you before you even work a day on the job.

2-ONE-5
08-27-2014, 01:43 PM
there is literally nothing to feel sorry about. He knew he was going to be traded nearly 2 months ago anyway. like players never get traded or anything.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
there is literally nothing to feel sorry about. He knew he was going to be traded nearly 2 months ago anyway. like players never get traded or anything.

This is a damn lie. Up until like 2 weeks before the trade he publicly said the team and agent had reassured him he wouldn't be traded MULTIPLE times. Stop the revisionist sh**.

NYCkid12
08-27-2014, 01:48 PM
How the hell is that the same? Mulling job/contract offers and taking time on a decision is not anywhere near the same ethically as company/team transferring you or firing you before you even work a day on the job.

Just as a specific example, LeBron would be able to be offered the most money and was treated great and given everything he asked for in Cleveland before he left the first time; he then took over a month to decide and up until the last second didn't let them know his decision. Did he consider the feelings of his coaches who relied on him to be successful? or his teammates that depended on him? or the front office who were waiting for that decision to formulate a plan?

Why is one person's feelings any more important than another's? A player will make decision that is best for him when giving a chance and an organization is going to make the best decision for them.

2-ONE-5
08-27-2014, 01:49 PM
This is a damn lie. Up until like 2 weeks before the trade he publicly said the team and agent had reassured him he wouldn't be traded MULTIPLE times. Stop the revisionist sh**.

who cares what he said. hes just looking out for himself. i feel sorry for anyone who actually feels sorry for this kid when literally nothing bad happend to happen in any way shape or form

Slade123
08-27-2014, 01:49 PM
The good ol "Oh he'll be completely fine, he makes millions". These statements are troubling to me. It shows how far the human collective psyche has declined as we have advanced in other ways.

Give me millions and you can trade me to all 30 teams.

Chronz
08-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Yup. They should become robots because all that matters in life is money.
Hey the man says it himself, the NBA is a business. There should be no blind loyalty, particularly when you are in such a great position to begin with.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 01:54 PM
who cares what he said. hes just looking out for himself. i feel sorry for anyone who actually feels sorry for this kid when literally nothing bad happend to happen in any way shape or form

Bad is a relative term. To deny that trades don't psychologically affect players would be one of the most ignorant statements a sports fan could make. People tend to forget the human side of sports. Also the point was you claimed "He knew he was going to be traded two months ago" as justification for your flawed ethics. I proved you wrong and the best you have is "Who cares what he thinks"? LMAO.

FlashBolt
08-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Kid should be happy. He goes to a team in which he can shine and be their first option rather than the fourth option. I think he knew deep down they were trading him. Can't blame Cleveland, though. How do you resist Kevin Love?

Chronz
08-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Why? Players should just be mentally tougher and understand how privileged they are. Their chance to jerk teams around comes when they establish themselves. Welcome to real life.

flea
08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
If you're making anywhere from hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions without needing a college degree in order to play a kid's game and yet you can't "mentally adjust" to playing for a different team then maybe you don't belong in the human race.

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Simply put, the NBA doesn't change these rules, its the CBA that decides these things. Only way owners would allow such a foolish rule is if the players gave up free agency or something.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Why? Players should just be mentally tougher and understand how privileged they are. Their chance to jerk teams around comes when they establish themselves. Welcome to real life.

How mentally tough were you at 18? 19? If anything these kids are MORE vulnerable mentally than the average Joe. They were brought up being put on a pedestal usually by their AAU coaches, parents etc... and have experienced very little struggle. The ones that make it out of the projects etc like Odom/Artest are mentally more ready, but 90 percent of others I'd wager, are not ready. Not only are they not ready, but they aren't properly educated, which is only partially their fault.

In other words.. most rookies are still kids. I'm in a developmental lifespan advanced Psych class right now and things like this are common discussion. I.E when someone is truly an adult etc, which differs based on where they grow up. Recent studies have shown that you don't fully mentally mature until your mid 20's.

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:06 PM
If you're making anywhere from hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions without needing a college degree in order to play a kid's game and yet you can't "mentally adjust" to playing for a different team then maybe you don't belong in the human race.

In a world where people have to move across country to make pittance (by comparison), nobody is going to feel bad for this sort of childish emotion. Life isn't fair. In a perfect world, EVERYONE gets what they want. Sadly we have winners and losers.

jaydubb
How many businesses hire you, then fire you for no reason the first chance they get? To compare a sports league to a normal job would be foolish. My point was that the idea that any sort of business has to be cutthroat and without consideration for others by design is flawed. Is it easier to succeed in business when you step on toes and only care about the bottom line? Maybe. But as I said the best businesses ALSO value the thoughts/feelings/circumstances of their employees. So when people say "It's just a business" when referring to a league that exists due to the 400+ players playing... it seems ignorant. These are PEOPLE. Not Playstation 4's or big screen TV's.

Good businesses care about their workers, yes, but to a certain extent..

If a business sees a good opportunity to make more money, they would be stupid to not take it.

They did not fire Andrew wiggins, they simply saw a better opportunity to make more money so they made a business decision by trading him.

Kevin Love will generate more money right away then Andrew wiggins would have.

Here's an example.. If you got 2 employees.

1 was a great employee for a business similar to the business where he is applying for a high profile job position. However, he doesn't have much experience at this position (only one year). He's a hot shot, but not as much experience as others applying.

The other employee applying for the same job works in the same company but at a different location. He's been at this spot as one of the best employees in the company for 3 or 4 years now. This employee has generated more revenue then any other employee in the company besides maybe 3 or 4 other employees.

Both are great employees and both have great resumes, however there is some uncertainty with how effective employee #1 will be because he was with a different company with only 1 year of experience and employee #2 has already more then proven his worth already in the company.

If I was CEO and I wanted to make more money at this location, I would go with the for sure thing over the project. Which is ok, employee #1 will still have plenty of opportunities to prove his worth within the company in the future. He may even want to apply for the same position or a better one in the future.

There's my business analogy.. I really think this was a great business decision for both teams. Yes there may be some hurt feelings in the process but hey, everyone involved still has a job making millions of dollars each year.. This is the big boy league, big boys would understand that things like this happen.

Clippersfan86

Social Darwinism at it's best.

Nycbball08

Owners should realize this as well and don't get butt hurt when players leave.

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:09 PM
How mentally tough were you at 18? 19? If anything these kids are MORE vulnerable mentally than the average Joe. They were brought up being put on a pedestal usually by their AAU coaches, parents etc... and have experienced very little struggle. The ones that make it out of the projects etc like Odom/Artest are mentally more ready, but 90 percent of others I'd wager, are not ready. Not only are they not ready, but they aren't properly educated, which is only partially their fault.
You've just made an argument for keeping kids out of the NBA. You think the players would give up the right to join this business? If you're man enough to declare, you're man enough to abide by the CBA.

In other words.. most rookies are still kids. I'm in a developmental lifespan advanced Psych class right now and things like this are common discussion. I.E when someone is truly an adult etc, which differs based on where they grow up. Recent studies have shown that you don't fully mentally mature until your mid 20's.
Point?

Mr_Jones
08-27-2014, 02:10 PM

i worry about that in 2k

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 02:10 PM
In a world where people have to move across country to make pittance (by comparison), nobody is going to feel bad for this sort of childish emotion. Life isn't fair. In a perfect world, EVERYONE gets what they want. Sadly we have winners and losers.

Gratefulness and hurt feelings are not mutually exclusive. You can be both grateful and be hurt by being jerked around by your employer paying you millions. Not sure why you guys are trying to separate the two ideas, when in reality they are married in most cases. I don't understand why it would be "childish" emotion though. Nobody said life is fair, or everyone gets what they want. Obviously that's not the case. Just know that it doesn't HAVE to be that way. It's not the only way of life. That's the way western civilization makes it with social Darwinism, but in many cultures the less fortunate aren't left behind that way.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
You've just made an argument for keeping kids out of the NBA. You think the players would give up the right to join this business? If you're man enough to declare, you're man enough to abide by the CBA.

Point?

Point is, joining the NBA doesn't make you a man no matter how much money these kids make. You don't need to look very hard to find evidence of this claim. How many young players act like teenagers? Blow all of their money and go broke right away? Doesn't mean they should be kept out of the league, because physically they are ready/capable more often than not. I'm not suggesting anyone should not follow the CBA, I'm answering the OP's question. I DO feel some changes to help integrate rookies to the league should be made. Quite frankly I don't care if I'm the severe minority when the best you guys can come up with is "They are paid millions, they'll get over it". Is life that simple? Are humans not more complex/valuable than that?

2-ONE-5
08-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Bad is a relative term. To deny that trades don't psychologically affect players would be one of the most ignorant statements a sports fan could make. People tend to forget the human side of sports. Also the point was you claimed "He knew he was going to be traded two months ago" as justification for your flawed ethics. I proved you wrong and the best you have is "Who cares what he thinks"? LMAO.

lol if you'r a pro athlete making millions being traded it better not affect you or you're doomed on the court if you are that soft. there is nothing unethical about this at all, literally none. i dont get why u are arguing so hard about it

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Gratefulness and hurt feelings are not mutually exclusive. You can be both grateful and be hurt by being jerked around by your employer paying you millions. Not sure why you guys are trying to separate the two ideas, when in reality they are married in most cases. I don't understand why it would be "childish" emotion though. Nobody said life is fair, or everyone gets what they want. Obviously that's not the case. Just know that it doesn't HAVE to be that way. It's not the only way of life. That's the way western civilization makes it with social Darwinism, but in many cultures the less fortunate aren't left behind that way.

Can you be less vague? It doesn't have to be this way? Well it has to be a certain way and no matter what decision you inevitably come to, there is a give and take on EITHER side. Hence there not being a perfect solution. Fact is, this is the CBA that both sides have agreed upon, and that is what these players are signing up for when they enter this business.

Every time there is a work stoppage, its the incoming players that get hosed, so maybe some day we wont have to deal with mentally weaker kids, and thats exactly why its a childish emotion. Because we are both agreeing that these KIDS aren't mentally developed enough to understand just why they shouldn't be hurt. At least not to the point where it completely determines your mental psyche and ability to do your JOB.

Clippersfan86
08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
lol if you'r a pro athlete making millions being traded it better not affect you or you're doomed on the court if you are that soft. there is nothing unethical about this at all, literally none. i dont get why u are arguing so hard about it

I didn't say the trade is unethical. The idea that "he makes millions, who cares what he thinks or feels" is what I'm claiming is unethical.

KnicksorBust
08-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Was that the only reason I gave? I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Please go re-check my post.

How is this the same as being fired? His money is guaranteed and he must earn his continued salary/job based on job performance.

Was he not aware that he could be traded before he joined the NBA? Is getting traded after one month even that drastic of a life change? It's not like he had lived in Cleveland for years and had to uproot a family/kids from their friends and school.

Besides... seems like he's adjusting just fine to me:

Reports leaked out long before the deadline that the deal was agreed upon and Wiggins had to make a couple of awkward promotional appearances where he bobbed and weaved around questions about his uncertain future. When it was made official, Wiggins had to hear about moving from a team that expected to contend for a title with the NBA's best player on board to a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years.

For a 19-year-old, that could be tough to swallow.

"For me it's not really hard to accept it," Wiggins said flatly. "I'm the type of guy that I go to where I'm needed. I go to where I'm wanted, really. That's what I like."

via http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11415357/minnesota-timberwolves-introduce-andrew-wiggins-anthony-bennett-thaddeus-young

Maybe we should stop with the graduate level psychology and just listen to the player himself... "I felt the love as soon as I got off the plane at the airport, so it's all good now. I'm excited for this season."

He doesn't seem to be feeling bad for himself so lets move on.

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Not to mention it positively effects players as well. So whats the point? Its not like you can have your cake and eat it too. If you want to survive in the NBA, you adapt.

2-ONE-5
08-27-2014, 02:26 PM
plain and simple

Chronz
08-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Point is, joining the NBA doesn't make you a man no matter how much money these kids make. You don't need to look very hard to find evidence of this claim. How many young players act like teenagers? Blow all of their money and go broke right away? Doesn't mean they should be kept out of the league, because physically they are ready/capable more often than not. I'm not suggesting anyone should not follow the CBA, I'm answering the OP's question. I DO feel some changes to help integrate rookies to the league should be made. Quite frankly I don't care if I'm the severe minority when the best you guys can come up with is "They are paid millions, they'll get over it". Is life that simple? Are humans not more complex/valuable than that?
You're still not getting the fact that these kids are enlisting themselves for this opportunity. If the NBA waits for them to turn into men before joining, however long that takes I'll let you decide (somehow??), is something that is agreed upon in the CBA. Thats the complexity behind the thought process, not your vague shenanigans. If you have a better solution then spew it out, otherwise Im not sure what you're point here is. These kids should be overwhelmed with joy to the point where these insignificant factors that you seem to stress are irrelevant.

Dade County
08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
I hope Wiggins writes his own letter, and finds his way home to Toronto.

Hopefully he spends 3yrs in Minny, and signs the 1yr qualifying ext; it would be a shame if another star player (if he turns into a star) gives that franchise 6 or 7yrs again...smh

likemystylez
08-27-2014, 02:49 PM
I feel for the kid.. I know some of you will say things like "hes making millions playing a sport he loves" but thats not the point, when was the last time a first overall pick was in limbo??

Wiggins looked very upset and or sad almost during this interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8IpEJ2w9I things like this can get to young players head. How does the media possibly effect a players psyche ?

I understand that LBJ and his decisions have a huge impact on teams and the movement of players.. But the "classy" media really had a field day on this and I cant help but feel for these young players who are just trying to find there place in the league. Should the NBA change the rules for rookies and them being able to be traded for a certain period of time?? Seeing how teams who are in "win now mode" will possibly want to trade them I think its only fair to do so, so that players arent in limbo and to prevent a similar situation from happening again??

He was the main piece and the deciding piece the other team wanted that was giving up a top 10 player? One could look at that as pretty high praise.

and as far as being in limbo- the lebron decision put 95% of potential trades/ Free agent signings/ coaching changes/ League marketing promotions etc in limbo for 3 or 4 days early last month.

Look at it this way, if he went to cleveland and they didnt land lebron james (which most people assumed hed go back to the heat anyway)- hed probably be in an even worse situation than he will be on the twolves next year. He will have the opportunity to be THE MAIN GUY on the twolves... and that wasnt gonna happen in cleveland with kyrie and waiters egos.

It would have been easier if they just made the deal and we didnt hear back and forth rumors for a month about whether he was on the table. I dont know if the cavs really told his agent he wouldnt be traded or if those were just rumors..... but if he wasnt on the table- Love ends up in Golden State.

likemystylez
08-27-2014, 02:55 PM
i worry about that in 2k

LMAO- Nice.

Also consider the public school systems in different states.

rhd420
08-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Wiggins is going to do far better in Minnesota actually getting playing time than he would be "tutored" by LeBron in Cleveland and can't be too sad for the kid, you know he's going to pull the same thing Love and KG did and leave when they can ...

If the kid bulks up and plays well ... you'll be talking about the Wiggins Free agent year so you should really feel bad for Minnesota, you want the kid to prosper and win ... BUT you know if he does most likely he's out ...

Raps18-19 Champ
08-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Lol what?

I'm pretty sure that 30 day rule is to replicate the rule that FA can't be traded for a certain time after signing a contract.

Hawkeye15
08-27-2014, 03:08 PM
why should I feel sorry for someone in his position? I would kick a puppy to trade places with Wiggins

WSU Tony
08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
I didn't say the trade is unethical. The idea that "he makes millions, who cares what he thinks or feels" is what I'm claiming is unethical.

Human needs listed from critical (#1) to trivial (#5)

#1 - Breathing, food, water, sleep,

#2 Security of body, employment, resources, morality, family, health, property

#3 Friendship, family, intimacy.

#4 Esteem, Self esteem, confidence, respect of others

#5 Spontaneity, creativity, problem solving, acceptance of facts.

I don't think anyone here would say this wasn't awkward for Wiggins - You're not going to get people to commiserate with you when needs 1-4 are clearly intact. You could argue #5 is intact, too. Wiggins has everything he needs so people aren't going to lose sleep that Wiggins had an awkward interview question in the beginning of his career.

jaydubb
08-27-2014, 04:42 PM
i worry about that in 2k

:laugh2:

smith&wesson
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
He's fine...one awkward month is nothing. This is a rare occurrence anyway

it is a rare occurence thats why its an opportunity for it to be adressed because in the era of the super team this occurance may become more common.

yes I am aware that Wiggins is fortunate to be in the situation he is in. That is not the point though. I'ts a business right ? When a policy or rule effects something in my line of busines I do re-evaluate it. Specially if its a rare scenerio that presents itself. If something wasnt an issue before, it doesnt mean it cant become an issue in the future. I think you will see more and more teams trading their high first round picks moving forward in the era of the super team. So why continue to allow the players to go through limbo if you can correct the situation by a simple rule change ?

why should I feel sorry for someone in his position? I would kick a puppy to trade places with Wiggins

I think some people in this thread missed the point. What I am trying to get at is that Teams should be able to trade their rookies, rather than having to wait an extended period of time. Reason being is so that the player and the teams involved aren’t in limbo.

The media will do anything for a story and we know this. The reporter was clearly provoking Wiggins knowing well that he is uncertain about his future. Also in the Kevin Love interviews the reporters were clearly fishing for dates and times of when Kevin was contacted by LeBron and or the Cavs in order to create a tampering story.

Sure players can adapt, but this is a unique situation that doesn’t occur very often. Why adapt to something illogical? If the NBA is business, shouldn’t they evaluate their rules and policies in order to improve where they can? It seems silly that you wait an extra 30 days to make a move that is inevitably going to happen anyways. Rather have the rookie get acquainted with his team, and the trade goes through for the team rosters to get settled way before a few weeks to training camp.

smith&wesson
08-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Lol what?

I'm pretty sure that 30 day rule is to replicate the rule that FA can't be traded for a certain time after signing a contract.

Right, but is a Rookie technically a free agent ? love wasnt a free agent either. So how or why did it apply.. insted of laughing you can just perhaps tell me something i dont know.

dtmagnet
08-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Minnesota is a better opportunity for him anyways.

KnicksorBust
08-27-2014, 07:07 PM

I don't think anyone here would say this wasn't awkward for Wiggins - You're not going to get people to commiserate with you when needs 1-4 are clearly intact. You could argue #5 is intact, too. Wiggins has everything he needs so people aren't going to lose sleep that Wiggins had an awkward interview question in the beginning of his career.

Appropriate life perspective ftw. The depths of frustration people put themselves through despite being ridiculously blessed will astound me my entire life. I would like to point out for the second time that there is an espn article published today where wiggins basically says "yeah I felt lost when I didnt know but all good now."

JustinTime
08-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Why do you feel bad for him he said he didn't want to play for Cleveland behind James anyways and why would he?

Clippersfan86
08-28-2014, 12:25 AM

So you're going to preach Maslow as gospel to a person getting into the field of Psychology LOL? His hierarchy system failed to factor in the social aspects of human behavior. That without collaboration (depending on others, being depended on) or social connection, none of these are possible really. Needs are not hierarchical to that degree. Circumstances are never so black and white. In fact Maslow's hierarchy is more used in business more now than Psych for the simple fact that it's too closeminded.

TheNumber37
08-28-2014, 01:28 AM
Do you feel Bad for Kobe too?

Hawkeye15
08-28-2014, 01:34 AM
it is a rare occurence thats why its an opportunity for it to be adressed because in the era of the super team this occurance may become more common.

yes I am aware that Wiggins is fortunate to be in the situation he is in. That is not the point though. I'ts a business right ? When a policy or rule effects something in my line of busines I do re-evaluate it. Specially if its a rare scenerio that presents itself. If something wasnt an issue before, it doesnt mean it cant become an issue in the future. I think you will see more and more teams trading their high first round picks moving forward in the era of the super team. So why continue to allow the players to go through limbo if you can correct the situation by a simple rule change ?

I think some people in this thread missed the point. What I am trying to get at is that Teams should be able to trade their rookies, rather than having to wait an extended period of time. Reason being is so that the player and the teams involved aren’t in limbo.

The media will do anything for a story and we know this. The reporter was clearly provoking Wiggins knowing well that he is uncertain about his future. Also in the Kevin Love interviews the reporters were clearly fishing for dates and times of when Kevin was contacted by LeBron and or the Cavs in order to create a tampering story.

Sure players can adapt, but this is a unique situation that doesn’t occur very often. Why adapt to something illogical? If the NBA is business, shouldn’t they evaluate their rules and policies in order to improve where they can? It seems silly that you wait an extra 30 days to make a move that is inevitably going to happen anyways. Rather have the rookie get acquainted with his team, and the trade goes through for the team rosters to get settled way before a few weeks to training camp.

aiight, I am with you

Sadds The Gr8
08-28-2014, 02:00 AM
That's it? I'd lick its arsehole

Sadds The Gr8
08-28-2014, 02:01 AM

It won't be become common...how often does the best player in the league go to a lottery team with the #1 pick?

This will probably never happen again

IDunknown
08-28-2014, 02:24 AM
Even in that video Wiggins says it's business and he'll play for the team that wants him.

jaydubb
08-28-2014, 02:55 AM
That's it? I'd lick its arsehole

I'd do the same.. :shrug:

Iron24th
08-28-2014, 03:23 AM
I think the simple solution would be to give rookies veto power on their own trades for the first season at least. Most of the time the players will agree to the trade because they want to be wanted. At least it gives them the option though in scenarios where they may get screwed over.

I think he should just use that as a high motivation to prove the cavs were wrong to trade that type of potential superstar, and I guarantee you some teams will think twice before pulling the trigger.

nastynice
08-28-2014, 03:36 AM

x2

Still tho, I don't think there should be a rule in place. It kinda depends on the organization and how much class they have. There are franchises that make tough moves but look out for their players well being every step of the way, and then there are franchises that let you find out through a 3rd party that you've been traded. Not saying Cleveland is one or the other, but just saying, it just kinda depends on the franchise (and vice versa, same can be said for players who want out of a particular situation)

0nekhmer
08-28-2014, 04:08 AM
Im glad he's not on the cavs anymore. I wanna root for my Canadian boys, glad they're on a underdog Minny team. Too bad Tristan is still a cav though.

slashsnake
08-28-2014, 04:26 AM

Ehhh, it was for the betterment of the team, they were pretty straight forward with him that this might happen from day 1. It wasn't like his trade the other day was a surprise to him. It happens both ways. Kobe, John Elway, Eli Manning and others have forced trades for their own benefit that hurt the teams picking them, and in this instance it was for the team. Fair is fair.

And in the world of trades, this one is one which I would care the least about. He isn't some 2nd round pick with a LOT less guaranteed who has to move himself. He didn't set up there, start to love the town then get sent packing a-la Chauncey Billups in the Melo deal. He just found out what team he'd be going to a couple months after the draft.

Sly Guy
08-28-2014, 06:45 AM
no, all players can be traded. Besides, minny's a better place to develop his game

Oefarmy2005
08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I think you all are mistaken here. The thing that needs to change is the stupid 30 day wait period after a rookie is signed - if that wasn't the rule, he would have been on the Wolves roster a month ago(or even sooner) - without any additional drama.

ManningToTyree
08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Why would I feel bad for somebody realizing their dream? It's not like the Cavs kicked him out of the league. This is seriously overblown. It's the nba, trades happen, better he learn it now then later.

ManningToTyree
08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
I think you all are mistaken here. The thing that needs to change is the stupid 30 day wait period after a rookie is signed - if that wasn't the rule, he would have been on the Wolves roster a month ago(or even sooner) - without any additional drama.

Completely agree

WSU Tony
08-28-2014, 09:41 AM
So you're going to preach Maslow as gospel to a person getting into the field of Psychology LOL? His hierarchy system failed to factor in the social aspects of human behavior. That without collaboration (depending on others, being depended on) or social connection, none of these are possible really. Needs are not hierarchical to that degree. Circumstances are never so black and white. In fact Maslow's hierarchy is more used in business more now than Psych for the simple fact that it's too closeminded.

You feeling bad for Wiggins is the definition of a first world problem.

If psychologists didn't add some Grey to a black and white problem they'd be out of a job. Sometimes when you add Grey where it is not needed you have a problem seeing the forest through the trees. I think this is where you're at with the Wiggins "problem."

smith&wesson
08-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Finally someone gets it. That is spot on my piont!

smith&wesson
08-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Why would I feel bad for somebody realizing their dream? It's not like the Cavs kicked him out of the league. This is seriously overblown. It's the nba, trades happen, better he learn it now then later.

did you even read the original post :confused:

smith&wesson
08-28-2014, 04:37 PM
It won't be become common...how often does the best player in the league go to a lottery team with the #1 pick?

This will probably never happen again

it will happen again one day. history repeats itself. all they would have to do is change the 30 day rule of rookies not being able to be traded for 30 days and you avoid this period of players and teams being in limbo.

also just because something doesnt happen often, doesnt mean it shouldnt be re-evaluated when it does occur.

Clippersfan86
08-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I agree 30 day rule removal would accomplish what I'm saying but from another angle.

Sadds The Gr8
08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
it will happen again one day. history repeats itself. all they would have to do is change the 30 day rule of rookies not being able to be traded for 30 days and you avoid this period of players and teams being in limbo.

also just because something doesnt happen often, doesnt mean it shouldnt be re-evaluated when it does occur.
My point is that it's so rare so why care about changing it? Wiggins is fine...Hes a kid playing basketball

CityofChaos
08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
It was a dick move by Lebron for ignoring his existence the minute the Cavaliers drafted him but blatantly kept in close contact with Kevin Love WHILE he was still on the Timberwolves. How about a congratulations rookie or wish him longevity in the league?

Sadds The Gr8
08-29-2014, 12:21 AM
It was a dick move by Lebron for ignoring his existence the minute the Cavaliers drafted him but blatantly kept in close contact with Kevin Love WHILE he was still on the Timberwolves. How about a congratulations rookie or wish him longevity in the league?
Now this I agree with. He could have at least reached out

THE MTL
08-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Minny is a better situation for Wiggins career. Wiggins is destined to become a superstar and he COULD NOT do that in Cleveland playing behind Lebron and scoring PG Irving.

He would have become a simple role player 3rd option on offense, spot up 3rd shooter, and defender.

He has the green light in Minny and one of the best passers in the league giving him the ball. Minny was the right move for his career. He can worry about championships and having a competitive team later on.....right now it is MOST important that he establishes himself as a player.

THE MTL
08-29-2014, 01:33 AM

Dude he was already the last rookie signed. The draft was back in June and he wasnt signed until July 23rd. Cavs and Wolves had ample time to try to get a trade together.

THE MTL
08-29-2014, 01:37 AM

So what did you want?...for James to lie like Wiggins was going to remain on the team? It didnt take a rocket scientist to tell you that Wiggins no longer had a place on the team.

THE MTL
08-29-2014, 01:39 AM
If someone gave you 5 million dollars to move to Minnesota but the catch is that you have to wait 30 days, would you really be sad?

Seriously, are we men here? I feel bad for the poor rookie (:cries:). Give me a break ppl.

jerellh528
08-29-2014, 02:14 AM
I don't feel bad for anyone that plays a fun, recreational activity for millions of dollars. I play for free when I can just because it's healthy and fun. I'd play anywhere in the country for millions and I don't care how many days I'd have to wait.

slashsnake
08-29-2014, 03:58 AM
Now this I agree with. He could have at least reached out

So you are saying he didn't? Care to explain how you know that?

I guess without knowing I wouldn't say if Lebron was or wasn't a dick to Wiggins. Some people will make up there own stories of what he did or didn't do, but really, for all you know he called him the second he was drafted, wished him well and did everything by the book. Or called him up and told him to burn that Cavs jersey because Lebron eats babies and is pure evil.

Sadds The Gr8
08-29-2014, 04:02 AM
So you are saying he didn't? Care to explain how you know that?

I guess without knowing I wouldn't say if Lebron was or wasn't a dick to Wiggins. Some people will make up there own stories of what he did or didn't do, but really, for all you know he called him the second he was drafted, wished him well and did everything by the book. Or called him up and told him to burn that Cavs jersey because Lebron eats babies and is pure evil.
Wasn't it reported that LeBron never reached out to him? I thought that was brought up a couple weeks ago

slashsnake
08-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Wasn't it reported that LeBron never reached out to him? I thought that was brought up a couple weeks ago

I guess reading a couple articles that's true. Wiggins said he was busy when asked about it.

Either way, I don't see an issue unless you are looking to create a controversy for some reason. He knew Lebron wouldn't be one of his teammates. I guess if you want to nitpick crap just to complain about something it gives you a reason to.

2-ONE-5
08-29-2014, 09:02 AM
who cares if James reached out after he was drafted they werent even teammates at the time.

likemystylez
08-29-2014, 10:22 AM

So does lebron reach out to everybody who was drafted? He hadnt signed with the cavs at that point- so he really doesnt have a connection with wiggins.

Also- during the draft- most people thought kevin love would end up on the warriors because they were really the only team the t wolves were in serious talks with regarding the trade..... so Im not sure if lebron was talking to love too much at that time either.

LOL had wiggins even gotten a place in Cleveland yet?

what im wondering is- early in July there were tweets going on that wiggins agent had been assured that wiggins wouldnt be part of any deal. Was that true- or were those rumors going out as a part of posturing? Id have to assume that wasnt true because it didnt make sense for them to say that and then trade him for the same guy that was on the table. It wasnt as if the twolves started offering something way better and the cavs needed to reconsider- it was the same player who was out there all along.

likemystylez
08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
who cares if James reached out after he was drafted they werent even teammates at the time.

yep i agree, apparently james is suppose to reach out to every guy drafted and might as well reach out to every guy inited to a training camp roster. LOL it isnt like james didnt have his own things to worry about at that time. (He was working with a PR firm to figure out how to handle his decision different this time around. I dont know if he knew he was going to the cavs at the time of the draft or not though

Raps18-19 Champ
08-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Right, but is a Rookie technically a free agent ? love wasnt a free agent either. So how or why did it apply.. insted of laughing you can just perhaps tell me something i dont know.

No, rookies drafted aren't technically FA, which is why the FA rule doesn't apply. Wiggins is a draft pick, which is why he has a separate rule for him to replicate the similarities when you are signing a contract with a new team.

There's really nothing wrong with the rule and they need to keep some sort of consistency. If they get rid of this rule, then they would have to get rid of the rules for FA's that signed. And I'm sure the NBA isn't going to get rid of the 30 day rule to keep rookies from 1-2 awkward interviews. If a guy signed as a FA in the summer and in October, is rumoured to be in talks as a part of a trade but can't be traded until Dec 15, should they get rid of the FA trading rules to keep that player from awkward interviews?

kobe4thewinbang
08-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Nope. Will by all likelihood do better and have more opportunity with the Timberwolves than Cavaliers in LeBron's shadow.

Sadds The Gr8
08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
I guess reading a couple articles that's true. Wiggins said he was busy when asked about it.

Either way, I don't see an issue unless you are looking to create a controversy for some reason. He knew Lebron wouldn't be one of his teammates. I guess if you want to nitpick crap just to complain about something it gives you a reason to.
I'm not blasting LeBron for it or anything. Just saying he could've at least hit him with a text or 1 call or something. LeBron is known for welcoming the hot prospect rookies into the league and it seems like he just ignored Wiggins. Not a huge deal...just would've made things less awkward.

da ThRONe
08-29-2014, 02:48 PM
How is this any different from any trade ever with a player without a no trade clause?

Honestly I think this is better for Wiggins development. Not many superstars go to contending teams. They usually struggle with losing early in their career, but they come in with a lot of pressure and not a bunch of talent.

Silent
08-29-2014, 04:19 PM

I hardly agree with you but 100% spot on

smith&wesson
08-29-2014, 04:47 PM
No, rookies drafted aren't technically FA, which is why the FA rule doesn't apply. Wiggins is a draft pick, which is why he has a separate rule for him to replicate the similarities when you are signing a contract with a new team.

There's really nothing wrong with the rule and they need to keep some sort of consistency. If they get rid of this rule, then they would have to get rid of the rules for FA's that signed. And I'm sure the NBA isn't going to get rid of the 30 day rule to keep rookies from 1-2 awkward interviews. If a guy signed as a FA in the summer and in October, is rumoured to be in talks as a part of a trade but can't be traded until Dec 15, should they get rid of the FA trading rules to keep that player from awkward interviews?

1-2 weeks is 14 days. were talking 30 days of the players and teams being in limbo. not just akward interviews. I dont understand how you are tying free agent ruling in with rookies not being able to be traded for 30 days.

If Im going to inevetably trade my rookie regardless why should I have to wait a month to do so ? id much rather get the players Im trading for and get them aquainted with the system long before training camp starts rather then just a few weeks. From the roookies percpective he should be able to know which team he is going to play with as well so that he can get aquainted with his team mates and franchise as well. it effects both the teams and the players.

seems to me you are missing the point and debating for the sake of it. Cant change the rule due to consistency ?

2-ONE-5
08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
who cares? was Wiggins unable to workout during those 30 days or banned from the Cavs facility or shunned by the coaching staff?

smith&wesson
08-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't feel bad for anyone that plays a fun, recreational activity for millions of dollars. I play for free when I can just because it's healthy and fun. I'd play anywhere in the country for millions and I don't care how many days I'd have to wait.

this isnt about you being envious of a professional athletes career. this is about if the nba should apply a rule change.

the comprehension level, or lack of is un real in this forum.

smith&wesson
08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
who cares? was Wiggins unable to workout during those 30 days or banned from the Cavs facility or shunned by the coaching staff?

A rookie should be able to get aquainted with his teammates, coaches, system etc. Shouldnt have to wait over a month to find out where he will be working just a few weeks before training camp.

on the flip side, the teams im sure would like to make the trade they will inevitably make anyways so that the players, coaching staff can start implementing the system.

simple fact remains, why couldnt the nba just change the rule if its not effecting any one in a negative way ?

Oefarmy2005
08-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Dude he was already the last rookie signed. The draft was back in June and he wasnt signed until July 23rd. Cavs and Wolves had ample time to try to get a trade together.
They would have signed him on day one if that meant they could trade him the next day. Don't you understand that the whole reason he was signed so late was because they tried everything they could to trade him without signing to avoid the 30 day waiting period.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-31-2014, 10:45 AM
1-2 weeks is 14 days. were talking 30 days of the players and teams being in limbo. not just akward interviews. I dont understand how you are tying free agent ruling in with rookies not being able to be traded for 30 days.

Probably because they probably made that rule to replicate the situations FA's go through. FA's have some limitations if they sign contracts. They have similar limitations for rookies when they sign contracts.

If Im going to inevetably trade my rookie regardless why should I have to wait a month to do so ? id much rather get the players Im trading for and get them aquainted with the system long before training camp starts rather then just a few weeks. From the roookies percpective he should be able to know which team he is going to play with as well so that he can get aquainted with his team mates and franchise as well. it effects both the teams and the players.

I'n sure the NBA has it's reasons to place restrictions on certain incidents and transactions (similar to restrictions FA's have to deal with after signing a contract). If the Cavs knew they were going to trade Wiggins, why the hell would they put themselves in a position to wait? They easily had a way to do so. They chose not to.

seems to me you are missing the point and debating for the sake of it. Cant change the rule due to consistency ?

To be honest, yea I am missing the argument for changing the rule. I'm sure there's a reason the NBA implemented that rule to begin with. Everyone knows it's there including the Cavs and Wolves. If they wanted to make the trade, they could always not make him sign a contract and just trade him.

tr3ymill3r
08-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Nobody feels bad for an unproven rookie that is making millions and getting to play the sport he loves, you said it yourself. If anything feel bad for Kevin Love, you just got traded for a #1 pick most see as a bust and an unproven rookie that was just drafted. If he is supposed to be as good as everyone thinks shouldn't better players have been dealt for him. Love is a fraud and will be exposed in Cleveland.

bleedprple&gold
08-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Nope don't feel sorry for him at all. It's part of the business and he didn't even play one game there so not like he had some special attachment to Cleveland. If he doesn't like it then go try to find another profession where you'll get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

ewing
08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Wiggins was in a weird spot b/c of Bron's collusion. I think the damn has broke on that kind of thing i don't think it can be stopped. That said no they shouldn't change any rules

bleedprple&gold
08-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Nobody feels bad for an unproven rookie that is making millions and getting to play the sport he loves, you said it yourself. If anything feel bad for Kevin Love, you just got traded for a #1 pick most see as a bust and an unproven rookie that was just drafted. If he is supposed to be as good as everyone thinks shouldn't better players have been dealt for him. Love is a fraud and will be exposed in Cleveland.

So you say Kevin Love is overrated then go on to say we should feel sorry for him because they didn't get enough for him in a trade that most people consider was a great return. Contradict yourself much?

likemystylez
08-31-2014, 05:17 PM

I dont understand why people believe this to be true. If kevin Love could look good being the go to guy on a team in the strong western conference- people really dont think he could be a 3rd option in the eastern conference (which is basically a marginal step up from the d league .. compared to the west)

likemystylez
08-31-2014, 05:22 PM
A rookie should be able to get aquainted with his teammates, coaches, system etc. Shouldnt have to wait over a month to find out where he will be working just a few weeks before training camp.

on the flip side, the teams im sure would like to make the trade they will inevitably make anyways so that the players, coaching staff can start implementing the system.

simple fact remains, why couldnt the nba just change the rule if its not effecting any one in a negative way ?

THIS- so people want to allow a player to get to know his team mates and coaching staff- even if the writing is on the wall that he will be traded when that period is over? LOL if I were a player, Id want to be traded bewfore I started the season if the team decided it was going to happen- LOl or do people expect some silly rule to get in the way of a team bringing in a guy like kevin love?