PDA

View Full Version : If Cleveland don't make the conference final.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 08:07 AM
It's unlikely, but whatever, let's be hypothetical for a moment.

Who would you like to see in the Eastern finals? What would be the most fun match up to watch?

D_Rose1118
08-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Chicago Miami would be cool
Chicago Charlotte
Chicago Washington
Miami Charlotte

IndyRealist
08-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Doesn't. Sorry couldn't help myself. If we are going to be hypothetical, i want to be a jackalope. Ok, done being a tool for the day. Carry on.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Doesn't. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Don't is acceptable. It's the same as saying "If Cleveland do not make the conference finals", doesn't wouldn't seem right to me "If Cleveland does not make the conference finals". I thought doesn't was strictly for third person?

You're probably right though.

IndyRealist
08-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Don't mind me, i'm in a mood this morning. :)

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Don't is acceptable. It's the same as saying "If Cleveland do not make the conference finals", doesn't wouldn't seem right to me "If Cleveland does not make the conference finals". I thought doesn't was strictly for third person?

I've done a little sports journalism over the years. It's "doesn't" in this case. When you refer to teams, the city name is always singular and the team name is almost always plural (except in a few unusual circumstances, like the Thunder). I had the same issue in my college class, and my professor reminded us constantly.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 08:46 AM
But to get back on topic, I think Chicago would almost be a lock to make the ECF if Cleveland isn't there and as long as Rose stays healthy. Washington could feasibly get there as could Toronto and Miami under the right circumstances. I'm not as high on Charlotte as most, but I suppose they could make it. My sleeper team this year is Atlanta. People forgot how good Horford was last season, and he and Millsap should make a formidable front court duo with a really talented core around them. I could easily see that squad cracking a top 4 or 5 side and then surprising some people with a deep playoff run.

Edit: But I think this discussion will ultimately be a moot point. For Cleveland not to make the ECF, it would require at least one significant injury. Or they would just have to completely collapse against an inferior team, which I just don't see happening. On paper, that's a 60+ win basketball team.

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 08:49 AM

and english is your first language? What's your excuse then? :rolleyes:

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
and english is your first language? What's your excuse then? :rolleyes:

"And" and "English" should both be capitalized in this sentence. Don't criticize someone else's grammar unless you're prepared to have your own grammar criticized.

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 08:58 AM
"And" and "English" should both be capitalized in this sentence. Don't criticize someone else's grammar unless you're prepared to have your own grammar criticized.

That's just an oversight, not a big deal, particulary when English isn't my first language, nice try though.

IndyRealist
08-26-2014, 08:59 AM
I swear I didn't mean to start anything ;)

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I swear I didn't mean to start anything ;)

haha don't worry, some people are a little sensitive here.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
That's just an oversight, not a big deal, particulary when English isn't my first language, nice try though.

Except you just spelled "particularly" wrong and you used commas in that sentence for punctuation twice when they should have been periods. I try not to be the grammar police, but you're kind of the one who started this thing and I'm only pointing out how hypocritical you're being.

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
"Doesn't"

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Except you just spelled "particularly" wrong and you used commas in that sentence for punctuation twice when they should have been periods. I try not to be the grammar police, but you're kind of the one who started this thing and I'm only pointing out how hypocritical you're being.

Even if you still want to not notice it, I'll repeat, English isn't my first language, I speak multiples ones, so I wrote "particularly" wrong because of my french, and sorry but I don't see anything wrong with my commas.

I would like you to explain it to me doctor...

goingfor28
08-26-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd love to see Charlotte vs Washington
But barring injury I can't see it being anything other than Cleveland vs Chicago realistically

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Even if you still want to not notice it, I'll repeat, English isn't my first language, I speak multiples ones, so I wrot particularly wrong because of my french, and sorry but I don't see anything wrong woth my commas.

When you type that way with commas, you're essentially just writing one long run-on sentence. And that's not how you're supposed to use commas. You use commas while listing, to separate certain clauses or to separate two different pieces of a sentence with a conjunction. You don't use them over and over again like pauses in speech. And I'm not just talking out of my *** here. I'm an editor. I edit grammar for a living.

And I'm aware that English isn't your first language. But if that's the case, then don't go around criticizing someone else's use of that language. That would be like if I went to your place of work and told you that you were doing a ****** job without a thorough understanding of what your job entailed.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 09:48 AM
To get back on track, though, I really think people are sleeping on Atlanta here. They were essentially a .500 basketball team last season with their best player and starting center missing 53 games. With Horford back, that team is at least a 6 seed in the East and could very well get HCA in the first round.

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 09:56 AM
When you type that way with commas, you're essentially just writing one long run-on sentence. And that's not how you're supposed to use commas. You use commas while listing, to separate certain clauses or to separate two different pieces of a sentence with a conjunction. You don't use them over and over again like pauses in speech. And I'm not just talking out of my *** here. I'm an editor. I edit grammar for a living.

And I'm aware that English isn't your first language. But if that's the case, then don't go around criticizing someone else's use of that language. That would be like if I went to your place of work and told you that you were doing a ****** job without a thorough understanding of what your job entailed.

Yo word up my nugget.. I aint da best wit gramma, Neva been one for dat **** but hears one for you.. You not suppose to use "and" or "but" to start a sentence which you jus did several timez .. Thought you wood like 2 no.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Yo word up my nugget.. I aint da best wit gramma, Neva been one for dat **** but hears one for you.. You not suppose to use "and" or "but" to start a sentence which you jus did several timez .. Thought you wood like 2 no.

Except that's not true at all. It's something your English teachers tell you at a young age to prevent you from falling into bad habits and doing it all the time. But there's no justification for that rule whatsoever. Google it if you don't believe me. Anyone who writes or edits or publishes or teaches English at a high level knows that. No copy editor is going to mark that unless the writer does it too often, and I've written and edited hundreds of stories that have been published with sentences beginning with a conjunction.

NoahH
08-26-2014, 10:09 AM

Flawless sentence mechanics and grammar :clap:

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Except that's not true at all. It's something your English teachers tell you at a young age to prevent you from falling into bad habits and doing it all the time. But there's no justification for that rule whatsoever. Google it if you don't believe me. Anyone who writes or edits or publishes or teaches English at a high level knows that. No copy editor is going to mark that unless the writer does it too often, and I've written and edited hundreds of stories that have been published with sentences beginning with a conjunction.
My mind has officially been ****ed :speechless:

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Your example has nothing to do with what's going on, French is my first language and I guarantee you that I cannot make this type of grammatical error he made, and that's my point, you can't make basic error when it's a languague you have learned since birth.

Learning another language being a teenager is another story.

So, please stop ignoring the facts again and again, thank you.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Your example has nothing to do with what's going on, French is my first language and I guarantee you that I cannot make this type of grammatical error he made, and that's my point, you can't make basic error when it's a languague you have learned since birth.

Learning another language being a teenager is another story.

So, please stop ignoring the facts again and again, thank you.

I'm not ignoring facts. You are. You're completely glossing over your own mistakes to criticize somebody else's. I don't care if you make a grammar mistake here or there. It's an Internet sports forum. But don't go out of your way to insult someone for one mistake if your own posts are riddled with errors. That's just hypocritical.

But that will be my last post on the subject. Let's try to get back on track here.

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm not ignoring facts. You are. You're completely glossing over your own mistakes to criticize somebody else's. I don't care if you make a grammar mistake here or there. It's an Internet sports forum. But don't go out of your way to insult someone for one mistake if your own posts are riddled with errors. That's just hypocritical.

But that will be my last post on the subject. Let's try to get back on track here.

YOU are hypocritical, you're defending this poster like he's your son or something, you should know better, he called me out first on the Lakers thread about grammar, and where were you mister defender?!

So, defend everyone or STFU when two posters discuss together and haven't told you anything.

Thank you!

kdspurman
08-26-2014, 11:25 AM
To get back on track, though, I really think people are sleeping on Atlanta here. They were essentially a .500 basketball team last season with their best player and starting center missing 53 games. With Horford back, that team is at least a 6 seed in the East and could very well get HCA in the first round.

I agree with this. Atlanta if healthy will be a handful. Last year they were pretty good and that was their first year Bud running things. I think another year and some continuity there, they will be even better.

Phenomenonsense
08-26-2014, 11:36 AM

That is very true. It doesn't, however, make up for the fact that starting a sentence with either is ugly as ****.
;)

KnicksorBust
08-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Assuming that I play within the rules of logic and leave my knicks out...

Miami vs whoever.

I would love to see Dwade have a bounceback season and carry the team without Lebron further than Lebron. That would cause a real media blast.

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Assuming that I play within the rules of logic and leave my knicks out...

Miami vs whoever.

I would love to see Dwade have a bounceback season and carry the team without Lebron further than Lebron. That would cause a real media blast.

Good point

Goose17
08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
I've done a little sports journalism over the years. It's "doesn't" in this case. When you refer to teams, the city name is always singular and the team name is almost always plural (except in a few unusual circumstances, like the Thunder). I had the same issue in my college class, and my professor reminded us constantly.

lol, thanks for the clarification.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
YOU are hypocritical, you're defending this poster like he's your son or something, you should know better, he called me out first on the Lakers thread about grammar, and where were you mister defender?!

So, defend everyone or STFU when two posters discuss together and haven't told you anything.

Thank you!

Calm down. Had you considered that maybe I didn't see the initial post in that thread. I saw you two bickering, but I didn't give enough ****s to scroll up to see what it was about.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
That is very true. It doesn't, however, make up for the fact that starting a sentence with either is ugly as ****.
;)
Agree to disagree. I think any time you can vary your sentence structure, it's more pleasurable to read. Starting a sentence with a conjunction every now and then will improve the quality of your writing.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 12:27 PM

I would like to see Horford healthy mostly because I'm a huge Millsap fan and I would like to see Atlanta have a deep run. However I'm not convinced they're deep enough to get past teams like Chicago or even Toronto.

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
:laugh2:

This thread is awesome!

Rename this ***** "the official PSD grammar lesson" thread

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Calm down. Had you considered that maybe I didn't see the initial post in that thread. I saw you two bickering, but I didn't give enough ****s to scroll up to see what it was about.

You didn't give enough ***** to scroll up to see what it was about but enough to interfere and randomly pick a side...seems weird to me.

Whatever back on topic finally, I'd like to see miami VS washington.

Vinylman
08-26-2014, 12:45 PM

Thank you!

Cut him some slack... its a full time job for him to report people picking on his Rockets! He has been very busy this offseason.

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Cut him some slack... its a full time job for him to report people picking on his Rockets! He has been very busy this offseason.

:cheers:

:laugh: :laugh:

:D

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 01:11 PM

How do the Rockets have anything to do with this thread whatsoever? I'm beginning to think that it's the job of bitter Lakers fans to mention Houston in any possible thread they can in an attempt to bait Rockets fans. Sorry chief. I'm not biting.

Vee-Rex
08-26-2014, 03:58 PM
If Cavs weren't in it I'd love to see Bulls and Wizards. I think it could build sort of a rivalry since the Wiz Kidz beat them last year.I'd love to see a healthy Rose and John Wall go at it. Would be exciting.

bucketss
08-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Toronto vs da bulls

Vinylman
08-26-2014, 05:33 PM
How do the Rockets have anything to do with this thread whatsoever? I'm beginning to think that it's the job of bitter Lakers fans to mention Houston in any possible thread they can in an attempt to bait Rockets fans. Sorry chief. I'm not biting.

exhibit A

Iron24th
08-27-2014, 02:43 AM

:cheers:

:laugh: :laugh:

:D

:laugh2:

Be careful guys, we are not allowed to talk about this team.

Bostonjorge
08-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Who cares the east sucks. It's August and we already know who out east is going to the finals.

hidalgo
08-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Chi vs indiana

but the cavaliers will make it, & win the championship. guarantee

bbcmillionaire
08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Lol glad he just saved a few months of my life 👆👆👆 now I can focus on the grammatical errors within this thread

Ariza's Better
08-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Cut him some slack... its a full time job for him to report people picking on his Lakers! He has been very busy this offseason.

PhillyFaninLA
08-27-2014, 08:45 AM
I made this topic and was thinking, hey I'm original, I'll make a lets troll Lebron and invite people in to make Kobe comments as well because that is not the true purpose of this topic

theheatles
08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Heat vs Knicks

albertajaysfan
08-28-2014, 10:14 PM
You didn't give enough ***** to scroll up to see what it was about but enough to interfere and randomly pick a side...seems weird to me.

Whatever back on topic finally, I'd like to see miami VS washington.

I just want to get this straight.

You are carrying over a grammar war from another thread?
Followed that up by getting mad at another poster for pointing out your hypocrisy? Since you made grammatical errors while doing it.

All while justifying it with a piece of irrelevant information.

One other thing I completely disagree with you that people don't make grammatical errors when using the language of their birth. I feel like PSD is but one of many examples on the internet which contradict that.

Now in terms of the actual topic of this thread. Since this is a land of make belief I am going the homer route. I want a rematch of this year's playoffs with Toronto vs. Brooklyn with Toronto owning it :).

In real terms Toronto vs. Washington would be an awesome series and is actually possible. At least more so than my homer pick.

ChicagoFan4Eva
08-28-2014, 10:22 PM
This turned into a grammar thread. I love it. Grammar police!

Anyways, Id like to see Heat- Bulls, Bulls-Raptors or even a Bulls-Cavs if thats possible haha

JustinTime
08-28-2014, 10:30 PM
This turned into a grammar thread. I love it. Grammar police!

Anyways, Id like to see Heat- Bulls, Bulls-Raptors or even a Bulls-Cavs if thats possible haha

There's an apostrophe for "I'd" and "that's", stupid.

ChicagoFan4Eva
08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Heat vs Knicks

I dont agree with this one. The Knicks would have to overcome a Bulls/Raptors/Wizards in the first round.

ChicagoFan4Eva
08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
There's an apostrophe for "I'd" and "that's", stupid.

Good job! :clap:

the situation
08-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Agree to disagree. I think any time you can vary your sentence structure, it's more pleasurable to read. Starting a sentence with a conjunction every now and then will improve the quality of your writing.

You done big dick swinging bro? You got to display your grammar lesson on PSD. Nobody gives a ****. OP made a stupid title and deserved to be called out on it.

JustinTime
08-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Good job! :clap:

Thanks!

Captain Moroni
08-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Bulls pacers
Pacers Miami
Bulls Knicks
Miami Bulls
Knicks Nets

All be fun to watch

Shady66
08-28-2014, 11:18 PM
What was this thread about again? Reading the posts I completely forgot.

Iron24th
08-29-2014, 02:17 AM
I just want to get this straight.

You are carrying over a grammar war from another thread?
Followed that up by getting mad at another poster for pointing out your hypocrisy? Since you made grammatical errors while doing it.

All while justifying it with a piece of irrelevant information.

One other thing I completely disagree with you that people don't make grammatical errors when using the language of their birth. I feel like PSD is but one of many examples on the internet which contradict that.

Now in terms of the actual topic of this thread. Since this is a land of make belief I am going the homer route. I want a rematch of this year's playoffs with Toronto vs. Brooklyn with Toronto owning it :).

In real terms Toronto vs. Washington would be an awesome series and is actually possible. At least more so than my homer pick.

We all moved on, you better do it.

Sanjay
08-30-2014, 02:41 AM
Wizards v Bulls (with Rose)/Raptors (without Rose)

DemarDerozan
08-30-2014, 03:03 AM
Bulls, wizards, raps and maybe Charlotte have just as good a chance as CLE. No sure bets for the ECF.