PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #1 SF In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
08-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

2014 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings
1)
2)
3)

2013 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Andre Iguodala
5) Paul Pierce
6) Kawhi Leonard
7) Luol Deng
8) Danilo Gallinari
9) Rudy Gay
10) Chandler Parsons

2012 Off-Season PSD SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Rudy Gay
7) Luol Deng
8) Danny Granger
9) Danilo Gallinari
10) Nicolas Batum

2011 Off-Season Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Andre Iguodala
6) Danny Granger
7) Luol Deng
8) Rudy Gay
9) Gerald Wallace
10) Danilo Gallinari

2010 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Gerald Wallace
7) Andre Iguodala
8) Rudy Gay
9) Luol Deng
10) Ron Artest

2009 Off Season SF Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Carmelo Anthony
3) Kevin Durant
4) Paul Pierce
5) Danny Granger
6) Andre Iguodala
7) Caron Butler
8) Hedo Turkoglu
9) Ron Artest
10) Stephen Jackson

2008 Off-Season SF rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Paul Pierce
3) Carmelo Anthony
4) Caron Butler
5) Ron Artest
6) Shawn Marion
7) Josh Smith
8) Richard Jefferson
9) Lamar Odom
10) Tayshaun Prince

Mile High Champ
08-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Only two names needed. Durant or Lebron. Make your pick!

jaydubb
08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Durantula

Mile High Champ
08-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Mods please sticky.

Htownballa1622
08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Can we exclude ppl with an obvious agenda (you know who u are )

IT'S LEBRON.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Lebron. Also, LOL to anyone who automatically goes to the MVP argument to say that Durant>Lebron.

GREATNESS ONE
08-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Durant but by a hair.

LTBaByyy
08-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Lebron
Durant
George
Melo
Leonard
Parsons
Deng
Iggy
Ariza
Gay

dalton749
08-25-2014, 12:11 AM
durant deserves it this year because he won mvp, though lebron is still the better player

Bruno
08-25-2014, 12:53 AM
i'd go Durant if he didn't struggle facilitating in the playoffs. his assist to turnover ration in the post season was pretty bad. my prediction is that this is the last year I vote LBJ. next year Durant will be 27 and LeBron will be 31, thats when the tide will shift. at the latest, the year after.

ricky recon
08-25-2014, 01:08 AM
I don't think either option is wrong. The two best players in the league.

Antipod
08-25-2014, 01:17 AM
The 1-2 spot should be settled, could we move faster to nr. 3, where it`ll get rly interesting ?

Longhornfan1234
08-25-2014, 01:54 AM
KD easily. He put up better stats in the season and playoffs. Next.

Lloyd Christmas
08-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Lebron easily. Then Durant easily.

NBA-GMaster
08-25-2014, 09:04 AM
LeBron.. =)

Ty_Lawson
08-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Lebron
Durant
George
Melo
Leonard
Parsons
Deng
Iggy
Ariza
Gay

Ariza, Gay and Iggy over Gallo?

Goose17
08-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Maybe not Gay but I agree with the other two.

Lebron is the obvious choice here.

Sadds The Gr8
08-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Gallo shouldn't be eligible like rose and kobe

jimm120
08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Lol, with the year George had, some argue that he's even in the conversation for #3 ahead of melo? Lol.

George just didn't step up and floundered as the season went on.

THE MTL
08-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Seriously start this thread at #2. Lebron is the best and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda

jericho
08-25-2014, 12:25 PM

I love my boy Gallo and miss him on the Knicks but he hasn't done anything the past couple season. So yup those 3 would be above them.

Now back to the thread. I remember a few years were MJ didn't win MVP does that mean that Charles Barkley and Karl Malone were better than him? Same thing here just because KD won MVP doesn't make him better than LBJ. It just means that he is on his way. Just in case i hate LBJ.

ManRam
08-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Durant had a better regular season, but LeBron is still clearly the better player. The gap continues to narrow, however.

IgglesFanInCO
08-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Lebron
Durant
George
Melo
Leonard
Parsons
Deng
Iggy
Ariza
Gay

This is exactly what I have. Gallinari would be on here if healthy too(and will be after this year), but ya this is my list

Goose17
08-25-2014, 01:49 PM
This is exactly what I have. Gallinari would be on here if healthy too(and will be after this year), but ya this is my list

To be fair he was relatively healthy last season, he missed about a dozen games but he was good for the majority of the season. I know what you mean though. Need to see him at 100% again.

jimm120
08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Seriously start this thread at #2. Lebron is the best and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda

I was ok with starting it like this. Durant definitely got closer...much closer to Lebron. That said,mits still Lebron.

On that note, though, I'd wager that with #1 set, we already know that durant is 2 and that Melo is 3.

The only decision we had to make is if durant had made a big push to make it to #1 this year. I'd start with #4 next round.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 02:06 PM
The real question;

Gallo or Parsons.

jaydubb
08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5456/7367629256_4de19bb289_m.jpg

Goose17
08-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I was ok with starting it like this. Durant definitely got closer...much closer to Lebron. That said,mits still Lebron.

On that note, though, I'd wager that with #1 set, we already know that durant is 2 and that Melo is 3.

The only decision we had to make is if durant had made a big push to make it to #1 this year. I'd start with #4 next round.

I'm not that high on Melo. Would say he's more 4th/5th.

jericho
08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not that high on Melo. Would say he's more 4th/5th.

I'm a knicks fan and i have to agree with this i think PG13 took his spot.

IgglesFanInCO
08-25-2014, 03:02 PM
To be fair he was relatively healthy last season, he missed about a dozen games but he was good for the majority of the season. I know what you mean though. Need to see him at 100% again.

??? He didnt even touch the floor last season

IgglesFanInCO
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
The real question;

Gallo or Parsons.

Well I personally think hes gonna have a tough time with his play style post-acl surgery, but before surgery it was Gallo

similar offensive game while Gallo is a great defender (Durant said Gallo's the guy he has the most trouble with)

Bruno
08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
KD easily. He put up better stats in the season and playoffs. Next.

he didn't put up better stats in the playoffs.

FlashBolt
08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
This is LeBron and Durant is easily #2. This will be fun next year when KD starts hitting the beginning of his prime and James falls off. I suspect within 2 years, KD will surpass James. #3 has to be Carmelo. Paul George is not better than Melo even though he's a much better defender.

1. James
2. KD
3. Melo
4. George
5. Leonard
6. Parsons
7. Iguodala
8. Gay
9. Deng

JAZZNC
08-25-2014, 06:25 PM
LeBron. Very, very easy question.

jimm120
08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Since two people here mentioned that George was better than melo, I looked over the stats...wow...no. Just no.

Melo vs George:

Scoring --> 27.4 to 21.7
Melo leads by almost 6 points

Rebounding --> 8.1 to 6.7
Melo leads by 1.4 rebounds

Assists --> 3.1 to 3.5
George leads, but as sf, they're right up there and close.

Steals --> 1.2 to 1.9
George leads by gettingalmost two steals while melo gets 1 with 2 stls every 6 games or so.

Blocks --> 0.7 to 0.3
Melo gets 2 blocks for sure every 3 games. George might get 1 block every 3 games, sometimes needing 4 games.

Fg% --> 45% to 42%
45% up to 50% is what's usually accepted. 42% is jr smith category.

I just don't see how someone (Paul) could play as badly and underachieve as he did and is considered better lol.

When melo struggled in 2011-12, he dropped as he should have. With George, it's like they want to continue to increase his stock even though he did badly this past year.

TrueFan420
08-26-2014, 12:01 AM
Lebron
Durant
George
Melo
Leonard
Parsons
Deng
Iggy
Ariza
Gay

Would love to hear how Ariza is better than Gay and how either of them are better than Batum or Gallo.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 05:19 AM
??? He didnt even touch the floor last season

My bad i should have been clearer. I consider us to still be on the 2013-14 season until the next one officially starts, so around preseason games. Any time you see me say last season I'm probably meaning 2012-13, we're still in the 2013-14 season really, the next one hasn't started yet (Americans seem to find this weird? I guess you dont think of it that way? But I don't understand how 2013-14 can be last season if we haven't started 2014-15, what season are we in? Lol. Its the 2013-14 offseason right? Thats the way it works here anyway. Another topic for another day I guess).

I don't think missing this season was that bad for him personally given his age. He can come back from that. We will need to see a full healthy season from him though before we know for sure given his history. He's came back from injuries once and I see no reason why he can't again, especially with all this time to recuperate.

LTBaByyy
08-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Would love to hear how Ariza is better than Gay and how either of them are better than Batum or Gallo.

Ariza over Gay last season = Just my personal opinion.
Gallo = Would be my #10 if he played last season. I can't put someone on the board that didn't play.
Ariza and Gay had a better season than Batum. If it makes you feel any better Batum is my 11 currently

Goose17
08-26-2014, 07:45 AM

I would certainly take Ariza over Gay. Ariza is more well rounded and more efficient in general. I mean Ariza might get less points but he is significantly more efficient at getting them and shoots better from deep. He's clearly the better defender and there's no massive difference in their rebounding ability.

I'll take Batum over both of them though, he can do everything Ariza can but is also a very good passer for his position. Batum is underrated.

JasonJohnHorn
08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
There is a reason Durant won the MVP award this year.

Who is the better player? I'm not going to argue with anybody who says LBJ is, but this past season, for me, Durant was the better player. He had a better season, his team performed better against the team that demolished the Heat, and had Ibaka not missed the first couple games of the Spurs series, KD might be hoisting up his first finals MVP and championship.

That said, the statistically analysis of the two players, and watching them on the court.... it's clear that they are evenly matched. Anybody who says that either player was CLEARLY better than the other player THIS season, doesn't know what they are talking about.

KD led the league in scoring, gets to the line better, and hits his free throws, not to mention he is the better shooter of the two. TS: KD (600) > LBJ (581); FT: KD (873) > LBJ (750); 3P: KD (391) > LBJ (379); FG: LBJ (567) > KD (503).

Blocks + Steals: KD (3) > LBJ (2.9). But that is a wash really.

Turnovers: KD (3.5) = LBJ (3.5).

PF: KD (2.1) > LBJ (1.6). LBJ with an edge there.

Rebounds: KD (7.4) > LBJ (7.2). Pretty much a wash there.

Assists: LBJ (6.3) > KD (5.5). LBJ with a distinct edge there.

I mean.. their defensive stats, rebounding stats, turnovers and personal fouls are all pretty even. LBJ got more assists and KD was the better shooter and scored more points while getting to the line more.

A slight edge to KD for me. I think they are equal, but in the spirit of the poll, I'm going KD.

But seriously, anybody who says either player is clearly better than the other didn't watch both players this year. They both had amazing seasons.

jaydubb
08-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Who is the better player? I'm not going to argue with anybody who says LBJ is, but this past season, for me, Durant was the better player. He had a better season, his team performed better against the team that demolished the Heat, and had Ibaka not missed the first couple games of the Spurs series, KD might be hoisting up his first finals MVP and championship.

That said, the statistically analysis of the two players, and watching them on the court.... it's clear that they are evenly matched. Anybody who says that either player was CLEARLY better than the other player THIS season, doesn't know what they are talking about.

KD led the league in scoring, gets to the line better, and hits his free throws, not to mention he is the better shooter of the two. TS: KD (600) > LBJ (581); FT: KD (873) > LBJ (750); 3P: KD (391) > LBJ (379); FG: LBJ (567) > KD (503).

I mean.. their defensive stats, rebounding stats, turnovers and personal fouls are all pretty even. LBJ got more assists and KD was the better shooter and scored more points while getting to the line more.

A slight edge to KD for me. I think they are equal, but in the spirit of the poll, I'm going KD.

But seriously, anybody who says either player is clearly better than the other didn't watch both players this year. They both had amazing seasons.

This is pretty much how I feel.. Everyone has been saying it's an easy choice, well it's not as easy as it once was LBJ and KD are very close now IMO and I'll give the edge to KD because I think he was the better player slightly last year, more dominant.

THE MTL
08-26-2014, 10:42 PM

I would agree with you but you know that PSD hate for Melo is real. And I wouldnt be surprised to see him lowballed.

jericho
08-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Were Barkley and Malone better than Jordan when they won MVP? Was Nash the better player in the league when he won MVP?

FlashBolt
08-27-2014, 01:50 PM
1) There is and was no way OKC would have beaten Miami. Spurs just couldn't miss. It wasn't more-so what Miami didn't do but rather Spurs just dominating them at every facet of the game. With OKC, I'm going to be honest, if we had Ibaka, I think we would have taken out Spurs by games 6-7. But there is no way we beat Miami. The reason being is because Miami is simply a better version of us with a better bench. Ibaka can't guard Bosh and Westbrook is too reckless to the point where Miami will just dominate off his mistakes. KD is great but in a head2head matchup, I'm still taking James.

I think this is easily LeBron for NOW. Stats are pretty much identical and some could argue that if James decided to take more shots and sacrificed maybe 10% FG%, he could have scored more than KD. But it is still James. Maybe in a few years this would change but not now.