PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Rank These Deals In Recent Years To Acquire Superstars?

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Which teams ACQUIRING the superstar gave up the least/most. Won or lost their respective trades? The Love trade got me thinking about this. Factor in that Dwight left LA after one season if you want.

Carmelo Anthony: Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and a 2014 first-round draft pick

Dwight Howard: Andrew Bynum and a future pick. Not including the 3rd team.

Chris Paul: Chris Kaman, Al Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon and a draft pick (was pick number 8, Austin Rivers).

Kevin Love: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett. Not including the 3rd team.

Deron Williams: Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and cash

Thoughts?

TO Rapz
08-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Looking at it NOW.

Howard was cheapest.
Paul was second.
Melo was third.
Love was the most expensive (pending on how good Wiggins and Bennett become, but.. back to back 1sts is as expensive as it gets)

mngopher35
08-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Without the 3rd team we also got a pick then.

Cavs gave up most potential but it kind of depends on if you like Wiggins or not I guess. Back to back firsts with one in a supposedly strong draft is a lot of value. In order from most to least expensive:

Love
Melo
Paul
Dwight

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Without the 3rd team we also got a pick then.

Cavs gave up most potential but it kind of depends on if you like Wiggins or not I guess. Back to back firsts with one in a supposedly strong draft is a lot of value. In order from most to least expensive:

Love
Melo
Paul
Dwight

I agree with this mostly, but also have to factor in that Dwight was a one year rental. So Lakers didn't get much value out of the trade. Also let us remember that at the time of the trade Bynum was the 2nd best C in the game and coming off an 18/11/2 type season. So at that time the trade didn't seem to be too lopsided/favorable.

5ass
08-24-2014, 08:48 PM
I agree with this mostly, but also have to factor in that Dwight was a one year rental. So Lakers didn't get much value out of the trade. Also let us remember that at the time of the trade Bynum was the 2nd best C in the game and coming off an 18/11/2 type season. So at that time the trade didn't seem to be too lopsided/favorable.
And Dwight was coming off back surgery.

houstonfan
08-24-2014, 08:51 PM
James Harden for Kevin Martin Jeremy Lamb and Steven Adams could arguably be the winner. Out of the ones you mentioned I will go with Dwight or CP3

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 08:53 PM
James Harden for Kevin Martin Jeremy Lamb and Steven Adams could arguably be the winner. Out of the ones you mentioned I will go with Dwight or CP3

I didn't add him because prior to being in Houston he wasn't an established superstar but a 6th man on a contender. So Houston didn't exactly know they were trading for a franchise player.

BranWingss
08-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Could add Deron Williams as he was around one at the time.

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Could add Deron Williams as he was around one at the time.

Will add.

WSU Tony
08-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Looking at what was given up for those superstars, some of you need to reevaluate how you view "potential." look at how many of those "high potential" players haven't lived up to the hype.

THE MTL
08-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Well i think with Orlando you gotta tell the rest of the story. Cause they did the best because Nikola is the best player and out of all those players who had "high potential". (Gallinari, Favors, Gordon, etc)

dru_562
08-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Pau gasol trade

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Well i think with Orlando you gotta tell the rest of the story. Cause they did the best because Nikola is the best player and out of all those players who had "high potential". (Gallinari, Favors, Gordon, etc)

I'm taking Gallo before I'd take Vucevic.

Saddletramp
08-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Don't forget, Al-Farouq Aminu went to New Orleans. He potentially could have mattered at one point.

Confusious
08-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Howard was the cheapest, but he was also the only player in that list that spent only one season with the team that acquired him.

How about the Kevin Garnett to Boston trade? That was a pretty big one.

Garnett was traded to the Boston Celtics in exchange for Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, cash considerations, Boston's 2009 first-round draft pick (top 3 protected), and the 2009 first-round pick which Minnesota had traded to Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade of 2006.

The 7-for-1 deal constitutes the largest number of players traded for a single player in league history.

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Don't forget, Al-Farouq Aminu went to New Orleans. He potentially could have mattered at one point.

Thanks, added. I think I disliked Aminu so much that I wanted to pretend he didn't exist subconsciously haha.

bleedprple&gold
08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
You forgot the first Cleveland gave up in the Love trade. Even without including the 3rd team they still gave that up in the trade.

MTar786
08-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Which teams ACQUIRING the superstar gave up the least/most. Won or lost their respective trades? The Love trade got me thinking about this. Factor in that Dwight left LA after one season if you want.

Carmelo Anthony: Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and a 2014 first-round draft pick

Chris Paul: Chris Kaman, Al Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon and a draft pick (was pick number 8, Austin Rivers).

Deron Williams: Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and cash

Thoughts?

isn't it funny how people preferred this over gasol and odom whatever else. wow. #veto

Alayla
08-24-2014, 11:41 PM
isn't it funny how people preferred this over gasol and odom whatever else. wow. #veto

thats because it was and is better value. A top 8 pick a young (granted injured) top 10 SG a moveable big and a (high potential) Asset is better for a rebuilding team than aging and breaking down Gasol and Odom.
Don't forget that losing allowed them to get Davis
They are 100% in a better situation right this moment than they would have been had they taken the Lakers offer and thats even considering that they failed to capitalize on those assets.

Clippersfan86
08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
thats because it was and is better value. A top 8 pick a young (granted injured) top 10 SG a moveable big and a (high potential) Asset is better for a rebuilding team than aging and breaking down Gasol and Odom.
They are 100% in a better situation right this moment than they would have been had they taken the Lakers offer and thats even considering that they failed to capitalize on those assets.

Bingo

Method28
08-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Thoughts?

Yeah it looks pretty bad right now haha it definitely looked like a better deal then for the Hornets though.

MrfadeawayJB
08-25-2014, 12:34 AM
ZBO was traded from the clips to the grizz for Quentin Richardson and a first rd pick

Saddletramp
08-25-2014, 01:18 AM

No, the trade was actually Gasol to Houston, CP3 to the Lakers, and Odom, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Goran Dragic to New Orleans and a First round pick from the Knicks. Dear lord I'm glad that trade didn't go through. Replace Dragic (who ended up leaving via free agency) and Scola (who was later amnestied) with Lowry (who was traded for a protected First) and that was what basically netted James Harden.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/08/trade-retrospective-clippers.html

kingsdelez24
08-25-2014, 01:52 AM
They were set to get dragic, kevin Martin, lamar odom, and a first round pick from houston i think pick. Maybe a few second round picks from la IIRC

At the time, Kmart was averaging 23 points a game on great efficiency, Lamar Odom was sixth man of the year and could easily have started on any team, and Dragic who developed brilliantly since, plus a mid first rounder. That was a pretty good package at the time and a lot of gm's would have taken that

Clippersfan86
08-25-2014, 02:01 AM
They were set to get dragic, kevin Martin, lamar odom, and a first round pick from houston i think pick. Maybe a few second round picks from la IIRC

At the time, Kmart was averaging 23 points a game on great efficiency, Lamar Odom was sixth man of the year and could easily have started on any team, and Dragic who developed brilliantly since, plus a mid first rounder. That was a pretty good package at the time and a lot of gm's would have taken that

You missed the point. N.O. wanted to tank, not be a treadmill 7-8 seed.

Saddletramp
08-25-2014, 02:21 AM
So if the NBA is ok with teams tanking so much so that they'll block trades to get worse deals on a team that they were running, why are they now trying to change up the draft rules to prevent tanking?

Lloyd Christmas
08-25-2014, 02:35 AM
There was also the KG trade, the T-Mac trade and the GOAT was traded.

Mike James for Reece Gaines and 2 2nd round picks.

Clippersfan86
08-25-2014, 02:50 AM
I meant recent ones, but for the sake of a broader topic I don't mind if we add older trades like KG+T-Mac+Vince Carter etc.

nycericanguy
08-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Utah got Devin Harris, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors, and another 1st round pick, I forgot who they used it on.

That seems like the 2nd most expensive one, especially considering how Deron has fallen off.

EDIT: Googled it, the other 1st rounder ended up being #21 in 2013, Utah picked Gorgui Dieng, but ended up trading him.

So Utah ended up getting Harris (who they traded), Kanter, Favors and Dieng (who they also traded with the #14 pick for Trey Burke) for Dwil.

JustinTime
08-25-2014, 11:16 AM
The Love trade is definitely the worst of the bunch. Cleveland gave up the most for the worst player on that list at the time.

FriedTofuz
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Vince Carter got traded for Trash, definitely the worst trade of all time.

Chronz
08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah it looks pretty bad right now haha it definitely looked like a better deal then for the Hornets though.
What? They're in a MUCH better position because of that decision

Chronz
08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Yea the James Harden deal should be on here

goingfor28
08-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Looking at it NOW.

Howard was cheapest.
Paul was second.
Melo was third.
Love was the most expensive (pending on how good Wiggins and Bennett become, but.. back to back 1sts is as expensive as it gets)
Yup

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Best for the teams giving up stars:
1. Kevin Love: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett. Not including the 3rd team.
2. Carmelo Anthony: Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and a 2014 first-round draft pick
3. Deron Williams: Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, two first-round draft picks and cash
4. Chris Paul: Chris Kaman, Al Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon and a draft pick (was pick number 8, Austin Rivers).
5. Dwight Howard: Andrew Bynum and a future pick. Not including the 3rd team.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 06:00 AM
I rate Dwight as the worst because he only played for the Lakers for one season, he was basically a rental, Bynum didn't last in Philly and Iguodala left Denver after one season.

Magic won that deal without question, nabbing Vucevic and Afflalo.

phantasyyy
08-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Vince Carter got traded for Trash, definitely the worst trade of all time.

Carter trade > all lol.

we got absolutely scammed, the biggest "prize" in mourning didn't even come to play for us..

VC for two first round picks, Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams and Eric Williams.

Which turned out to be Joey Graham#16 and Renaldo Balkman #20 - but then again that could be the Raptors fault for choosing them but essentially we got rid of our superstar for...

Aaron Williams and Eric Williams who never played again after their stint here, Joey Graham the massive bust, and Balkman whose pick rights had been traded to the knicks..

Chronz
08-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Carter trade > all lol.

we got absolutely scammed, the biggest "prize" in mourning didn't even come to play for us..

VC for two first round picks, Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams and Eric Williams.

Which turned out to be Joey Graham#16 and Renaldo Balkman #20 - but then again that could be the Raptors fault for choosing them but essentially we got rid of our superstar for...

Aaron Williams and Eric Williams who never played again after their stint here, Joey Graham the massive bust, and Balkman whose pick rights had been traded to the knicks..

Why did the Raps make that trade? I dont understand why management gets soo much of a pass for that just because Vince Carter demanded a trade. As if theres no standard operating procedure set in place for these things. Simply taking on an expiring contract would have been better IMO and that couldn't have been hard for a player of VC's caliber.

WSU Tony
08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I rate Dwight as the worst because he only played for the Lakers for one season, he was basically a rental, Bynum didn't last in Philly and Iguodala left Denver after one season.

Magic won that deal without question, nabbing Vucevic and Afflalo.

The question was "which is the most expensive" not "which is the worst." Which team gave the most to get their star.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Carter trade > all lol.

And that pick... pmsl, when you look at who went after Joey Graham, you have Granger, Ellis, Lee, Gortat or hell even Nate Robinson.

What did you trade Balkmans pick rights for?

Goose17
08-26-2014, 04:31 PM
The question was "which is the most expensive" not "which is the worst." Which team gave the most to get their star.

And my answer would be the same, Lakers gave away talent and the entire future of their franchise and ended up with jack ****. They wen't from being a possible super team to a bottom 5 team in the conference.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Was it ever confirmed if Carter told Mitchell he wanted to stay? I remember the rumours but I don't think it was ever confirmed as true, was it?