PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team A 1985-1999 v. Dream Team B 2000-2014, who wins?

vangrumpy
08-23-2014, 10:13 PM
If you could feature players from 1985-1999 vs. a Dream team featuring players from 2000-2014, who wins and who would most likely make those teams?

jaydubb
08-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Dream team A

Cal827
08-24-2014, 01:10 AM
So just putting a team out there that would be close to a hypothetical dream team (apologies if I missed someone big, this is pretty much off the top of my head)

85-99

Magic/Thomas/Stockton
Jordan/Drexler/Miller
Bird/Pippen/Wilkins
Barkley/Malone/Mchale
Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing

00-14

Kidd/Paul/Nash
Kobe/Wade/Allen (or Iverson)
Lebron/Durant/ Pierce (or Carmelo)
Duncan/Garnett/Dirk
Yao/Wallace/Dwight

I'd probably pick A. As much as I love the contrast of some of the players at the positions on team B, I just can see Akeem shutting down Yao, and Robinson/Ewing able to break through the defense of Wallace and Dwight.

I also left Shaq out as his prime years were essentially even between the two eras (from like 95-05) lol

alexander_37
08-24-2014, 01:27 AM
No Tmac, that's terrible. Tmac is probably #2 after Kobe.

PowerHouse
08-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Easy question. The 1992 dream team alone will beat any construction you can put together of 2000-2014.

MTar786
08-24-2014, 01:33 AM
So just putting a team out there that would be close to a hypothetical dream team (apologies if I missed someone big, this is pretty much off the top of my head)

85-99

Magic/Thomas/Stockton
Jordan/Drexler/Miller
Bird/Pippen/Wilkins
Barkley/Malone/Mchale
Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing

00-14

Kidd/Paul/Nash
Duncan/Garnett/Dirk
Yao/Wallace/Dwight

I'd probably pick A. As much as I love the contrast of some of the players at the positions on team B, I just can see Akeem shutting down Yao, and Robinson/Ewing able to break through the defense of Wallace and Dwight.

I also left Shaq out as his prime years were essentially even between the two eras (from like 95-05) lol

well i think prime hakeem was better than like a 96 shaq. so all you have to do is add shaq to the 00+ team
also due to match ups i would make the lineup look more like this.

magic/stockton
jordan/Drexler/Miller
Bird/Pippen/Wilkins
Barkley/Malone/Mchale
Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing

vs

lebron/paul/iverson
kobe/wade/allen
durant/t-mac/melo
duncan/kg/dirk
shaq/yao

HM. webber, pierce, carter, Kidd

I personally think this team is better than 85-99

MTar786
08-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Easy question. The 1992 dream team alone will beat any construction you can put together of 2000-2014.

that sounds pretty dumb to me but hey its your opinion.

i would think a team 0f anywhere from 00-14 lebron, kobe, durant, shaq, duncan, kg, wade, tmac would be way better than the 92 dream team. especially since u have to consider each of those dream team players as good as they were in they 92 season.
hell, i would take a starting lineup of lebron, kobe, durant, duncan and shaq over the 92 starting lineup

vangrumpy
08-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, who are the honorable mentions being left off of Team A and B?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-24-2014, 02:00 AM
Terrible you put Ewing over Moses.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Also, lol did you really put Iverson, Carmelo and Yao over guys like Nash, Kidd, Gasol? Those 3 are guaranteed top 50 players.

WaDe03
08-24-2014, 02:23 AM
No Tmac, that's terrible. Tmac is probably #2 after Kobe.

No lol lets not forget who the best player on that 08 redeem team was.

Wade/Kidd/Paul
Kobe/Allen/Iverson or T-Mac
LeBron/Durant/Melo
Duncan/Garnett/Bosh
Shaq/Dwight/Davis

I'll take this team over the Dream Team.

vangrumpy
08-24-2014, 02:32 AM
There are too many chiefs and not enough soldiers.... all of those listed are primary scorers, but where are the shooters? It's also about the talent fitting each other.

MTar786
08-24-2014, 02:47 AM
moses over ewing for sure

Shlumpledink
08-24-2014, 03:29 AM
Is this making teams based on players from those eras, or based off of players that were on the "dream team" during those eras?

Ebbs
08-24-2014, 04:14 AM
Probably A

NYKalltheway
08-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Team A without a doubt.

PurpleJesus
08-24-2014, 07:05 AM
as it always seems to be with PSD, a lot of young people who were too young, and want to completely glamify players they werent able to appreciate, want over evaluate them.

In the next decade, a bunch of young people will try to claim that the current players in the NBA would never be able to compete with the guys of this current generation.

NYKalltheway
08-24-2014, 07:21 AM
why are people saying Yao? He's Chinese...

Cal827
08-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Also, lol did you really put Iverson, Carmelo and Yao over guys like Nash, Kidd, Gasol? Those 3 are guaranteed top 50 players.

I did say (my bad if I missed anyone, just names that popped out at the time lol). the brackets are for some people who might have those guys there instead (not that I necessarily agree with it)

and Nash/Kidd are on the roster.... :laugh: You think Gasol is better than Duncan or Dirk or KG?

I'll admit, probably could have Mcgrady there though lol

Cal827
08-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Most of Moses Malone's main accomplishments (MVP trophies, NBA titles, All NBA first team, Defensive First team, rebounding champion) were either before 1985, or the year of.

Afterwards he had 4 pretty good seasons, then started to decline. I'm not much of a fan of Patrick Ewing, but his career pretty much spanned from 1985-2000, so I don't think it's thaatt terrible :laugh2:

Cal827
08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey, why hasn't anyone else put up a list (minus Mtar and Wade)? I'm curious to see who would be on your respective dream teams.

omdigga
08-24-2014, 09:06 AM
nobody beats the dream team.. except maybe genetically enhanced evil clones of the original team.. and even then, im pretty sure MJ would figure out a way to win.

Chazm
08-24-2014, 09:23 AM

No need to get racist ;)

effen5
08-24-2014, 09:46 AM
And gasol plays for spain.

Team a would win.

alexander_37
08-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Also yao > Gasol without question to whoever said otherwise

xbrackattackx
08-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Yao and Gasol would be on their respected teams yea? Not USA.

jaydubb
08-24-2014, 02:03 PM
OP is this a question of who would win between the original dream team and any combination of players playing in NBA between 2000-2014, or strictly original dream team vs. Any player from 2000-2014 USA basketball team? Or is it just any player between 1985-1999 in NBA vs any player from 2000-2014?

Those are all different questions

jaydubb
08-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Also yao > Gasol without question to whoever said otherwise
:laugh2: good one

valade16
08-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I think team A wins but it's a LOT closer than people are making it out. Here are my 12 man rosters:

Team A:
PG: Magic / Isiah / Stockton
SG: MJ / Drexler
SF: Bird / Pippen
PF: Barkley / Malone
C: Hakeem / D-Rob / Ewing

Team B:
PG: Kidd / Nash / Paul
SG: Kobe / Wade
SF: Bron / Durant
PF: Duncan / KG / Dirk
C: Shaq / Dwight

I'm nit sure you can say one of those teams is definitively ahead of another.

Bartlee23
08-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Good point. Gasol, Nash and Dirk as well would not be playing for the U.S.

Cal827
08-24-2014, 02:38 PM
I know it said dream team, but I don't recall the OP saying that we could only put Americans on the list lol

vangrumpy
08-24-2014, 05:05 PM
The original question is really which generation would dominate A or B. You can put Yao Gasol or whoever you want.

NYKalltheway
08-24-2014, 05:22 PM
PG: Kidd / Nash / Paul
SG: Kobe / Wade
SF: Bron / Durant
PF: Duncan / KG / Dirk
C: Shaq / Dwight

Nash is a little bit Canadian and Dirk is a little bit German

Dream Team means Team USA 1992 and only US teams that wanted to also carry that title. You could have said All-NBA teams from the given seasons to avoid this sort of diversion.

todu82
08-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Team 1985-1999.

PhillyFaninLA
08-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Dream team B might be able to win a game against them.....Team A has some of the greatest players (and teammates) of all time, and some of the most underrated and/or under appreciated players of all time.

PhillyFaninLA
08-24-2014, 06:36 PM

I'm not sure, given the years Ewing might be the better choice, now if you go back a few years its a no brainer

PhillyFaninLA
08-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I know it said dream team, but I don't recall the OP saying that we could only put Americans on the list lol

The dream team is referencing an Olympic team so national origin matters...heck Nash couldn't be on a team

nimzboy
08-24-2014, 06:46 PM

85-99

Magic/Thomas/Stockton
Jordan/Drexler/Miller
Bird/Pippen/Wilkins
Barkley/Malone/Mchale
Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing

00-14

Kidd/Paul/Nash
Duncan/Garnett/Dirk
Yao/Wallace/Dwight

Shaqs peak prime was from 2000-2004.
Team A...barely

valade16
08-24-2014, 06:53 PM
The original question is really which generation would dominate A or B. You can put Yao Gasol or whoever you want.

Nash is a little bit Canadian and Dirk is a little bit German

Dream Team means Team USA 1992 and only US teams that wanted to also carry that title. You could have said All-NBA teams from the given seasons to avoid this sort of diversion.

The OP didn't mean a dream team, he meant your dream lineup of all the players during that time.

MTar786
08-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Shaqs peak prime was from 2000-2004.
Team A...barely

actually i would say shaqs best was from 2000-02. I think he cut his own peak prime short due to being a fat slob. well 03-05 was still incredibly good

Bostonjorge
08-24-2014, 07:15 PM
I like team B. I like this lineup for team B.

James/Rose
Kobe/Wade/tmac
KG/Durant
Duncan/dirk/amare
Shaq/webber

I would put young KG on Jordan. Seeing how team A only really have bird as an outside threat the bigs on team B would kill them inside. I believe team B would lose 1 game and win series 4 to 1.

MTar786
08-24-2014, 11:25 PM
I like team B. I like this lineup for team B.

James/Rose
Kobe/Wade/tmac
KG/Durant
Duncan/dirk/amare
Shaq/webber

I would put young KG on Jordan. Seeing how team 1 only really have bird as a outside treat the bigs in team 1 would kill team A inside. I believe team B would lose 1 game and win series 4 to 1.

hmmm strange..
anyway.. I think this lineup is pretty much unbeatable

lebron
kobe
durant
duncan
shaq

Raps18-19 Champ
08-24-2014, 11:38 PM
I did say (my bad if I missed anyone, just names that popped out at the time lol). the brackets are for some people who might have those guys there instead (not that I necessarily agree with it)

and Nash/Kidd are on the roster.... :laugh: You think Gasol is better than Duncan or Dirk or KG?

I'll admit, probably could have Mcgrady there though lol

I didn't know if it was you or another guy but someone was missing some guys.

Gasol is not better than those other guys but he's more than deserving of a spot and should probably have slid to center.

Bostonjorge
08-25-2014, 01:32 AM
hmmm strange..
anyway.. I think this lineup is pretty much unbeatable

lebron
kobe
durant
duncan
shaq
Lol I was all over the place. Anyways Young KG or KG's first year in Boston he was a defensive force. I think he would shut down someone like bird or Barkley. I think he could guard Jordan and be effective since Jordan can't post him up or pull up over him.

alexander_37
08-25-2014, 01:38 AM
:laugh2: good one

In what world is Pau Gasol better than Yao Ming, Yao rebounded better, scored more, and scored more efficiently. Not to mention he was better on defense.

vangrumpy
08-25-2014, 03:19 AM
In what world is Pau Gasol better than Yao Ming, Yao rebounded better, scored more, and scored more efficiently. Not to mention he was better on defense.

In his prime, Yao was terrific in the post, could pass, and shoot at a very high percentage.

vangrumpy
08-25-2014, 03:21 AM
I would have loved to see Jordan kick out to Reggie Miller....that would have been lights out.

FOBolous
08-25-2014, 04:46 AM
No lol lets not forget who the best player on that 08 redeem team was.

Wade/Kidd/Paul
Kobe/Allen/Iverson or T-Mac
LeBron/Durant/Melo
Duncan/Garnett/Bosh
Shaq/Dwight/Davis

I'll take this team over the Dream Team.

lol prime Tmac was on the same level as Kobe. Allen Iverson is not better than prime Tmac

FOBolous
08-25-2014, 04:52 AM
dream team would be any combination of any player from any era. period. the dream team had 14 Hall of Famers (11 players, 3 coaches), the 3 best players of 2 different eras (Magic, Larry, and Jordan), the GOAT, NBA's all time assists and steals leader (Stockton), annnnnnd....you get the point.

jaydubb
08-25-2014, 12:07 PM

We are getting off topic here, but for the sake of saying who would you put on the dream team yao or pau, we will talk about it..

You used words like

"without question Yao is better then pau"
And..
"In what world is pau better then Yao?"

The way you're wording this makes me think that there is absolutely no way anyone can make a case that pau is better then Yao.. It's almost like you got approached with a similar question like, " who do you think is a better player, Michael Jordan or Brian scalabrine?" That question is a dumb question with an obvious answer.. I don't think you can group pau vs. yao in that same category as you seem to suggest, which is what I originally found comical..

Prime:
Their prime is debatable imo, yes Yao scored more, grabbed percentage points more rebound per game, had a slightly better field goal percentage but his prime was only for 3 seasons... In those 3 seasons he averaged like 50 games played.. That's just over half a season.. So half the time during his prime he was better then pau, the other half he was sitting on the bench. I'll take pau playing basketball over Yao sitting on the bench any day..You have to factor injuries into this discussion.

During pau's prime he played with Kobe. Yao played with Tmac his whole career. Most rocket fans think Kobe and Tmac are pretty similar in how good they are with a lot claiming Tmac was better.. I'm not trying to debate Kobe vs. Tmac here so let's not get into it.. But those are 2 great players that were pretty similar in production that pau and yao played with, I think we can agree on that.. Pau went to the finals 3 times and 2 were championships.. Yes those are team accomplishments, but pau was a major piece in all 3 of those seasons with many people claiming that pau shoulda won nba finals MVP one year.. Yao never did that or anything close really as a major piece on his team.. And really, you take away those 4 players and I don't think the lakers are much better then the rockets team..

I put a lot of stock into post season production, so that always weighs heavily on me with ANY debate..

If you completely throw out post season play, and have pau and yao play the exact same number of games in the regular season and throw out injuries then yes I'll say yao was better in his prime.. But that would be silly to disregard all of that, and that is why I give the edge to pau in prime.

Career:
Yao has played 7 seasons (well technically 8 but his 8th year he only played 5 games :shrug: ) during those 7 years he was injury plagued, mostly during the prime of his career as well. pau has played 14 seasons so far and just signed a 3 year contract with the bulls.. That's at least 10 years more he played in the NBA then yao did if he finishes out his contract.. Again, I'll take pau playing ball over yao sitting on the bench he's not that great of a bench coach.

Pau has more win shares both in prime and in career:113 win shares compared to 65 for yao. yao has a slightly better average per season win shares, but he retired in his prime unlike pau.

Career averages teeter towards yao, but again yao retired in his prime.. Pau has been out of his prime for like 4 years now bringing his career averages down a bit..

Long story short:
Injuries dominate this debate, because it's something that stopped yao from doing much in his career.. Even without the injuries, it's debatable who was better during that time frame in his career.. The fact that you seemed to state there is no comparison is ridiculous..

NYKalltheway
08-25-2014, 12:41 PM
We are getting off topic here, but for the sake of saying who would you put on the dream team yao or pau, we will talk about it..

You used words like

"without question Yao is better then pau"
And..
"In what world is pau better then Yao?"

The way you're wording this makes me think that there is absolutely no way anyone can make a case that pau is better then Yao.. It's almost like you got approached with a similar question like, " who do you think is a better player, Michael Jordan or Brian scalabrine?" That question is a dumb question with an obvious answer.. I don't think you can group pau vs. yao in that same category as you seem to suggest, which is what I originally found comical..

Prime:
Their prime is debatable imo, yes Yao scored more, grabbed percentage points more rebound per game, had a slightly better field goal percentage but his prime was only for 3 seasons... In those 3 seasons he averaged like 50 games played.. That's just over half a season.. So half the time during his prime he was better then pau, the other half he was sitting on the bench. I'll take pau playing basketball over Yao sitting on the bench any day..You have to factor injuries into this discussion.

During pau's prime he played with Kobe. Yao played with Tmac his whole career. Most rocket fans think Kobe and Tmac are pretty similar in how good they are with a lot claiming Tmac was better.. I'm not trying to debate Kobe vs. Tmac here so let's not get into it.. But those are 2 great players that were pretty similar in production that pau and yao played with, I think we can agree on that.. Pau went to the finals 3 times and 2 were championships.. Yes those are team accomplishments, but pau was a major piece in all 3 of those seasons with many people claiming that pau shoulda won nba finals MVP one year.. Yao never did that or anything close really as a major piece on his team.. And really, you take away those 4 players and I don't think the lakers are much better then the rockets team..

I put a lot of stock into post season production, so that always weighs heavily on me with ANY debate..

If you completely throw out post season play, and have pau and yao play the exact same number of games in the regular season and throw out injuries then yes I'll say yao was better in his prime.. But that would be silly to disregard all of that, and that is why I give the edge to pau in prime.

Career:
Yao has played 7 seasons (well technically 8 but his 8th year he only played 5 games :shrug: ) during those 7 years he was injury plagued, mostly during the prime of his career as well. pau has played 14 seasons so far and just signed a 3 year contract with the bulls.. That's at least 10 years more he played in the NBA then yao did if he finishes out his contract.. Again, I'll take pau playing ball over yao sitting on the bench he's not that great of a bench coach.

Pau has more win shares both in prime and in career:113 win shares compared to 65 for yao. yao has a slightly better average per season win shares, but he retired in his prime unlike pau.

Career averages teeter towards yao, but again yao retired in his prime.. Pau has been out of his prime for like 4 years now bringing his career averages down a bit..

Long story short:
Injuries dominate this debate, because it's something that stopped yao from doing much in his career.. Even without the injuries, it's debatable who was better during that time frame in his career.. The fact that you seemed to state there is no comparison is ridiculous..

You can bring the Pope to preach about that, it still won't change the fact that Yao Ming was a superior player to Pau Gasol. Not because Pau is bad or anything, Yao was just that good.

jaydubb
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
You can bring the Pope to preach about that, it still won't change the fact that Yao Ming was a superior player to Pau Gasol. Not because Pau is bad or anything, Yao was just that good.

Ok that's fine. It's all a matter of opinion. I actually said based on time yao played, yao was better in his prime..

My point to that Houston fan was mainly to state that yao is not light years ahead of pau like it seemed he was suggesting.

NYKalltheway
08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Pau being able to win championships does not make him better than Yao though. And "win shares" is the worst argument one can use to defend a player's quality.

jaydubb
08-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Pau being able to win championships does not make him better than Yao though. And "win shares" is the worst argument one can use to defend a player's quality.

Your right it doesn't make him better, but Winning championships is the reason you play the game my friend..

Again, as I just stated, my argument wasn't so much of who's better as it was that yao isn't tons better then pau. The gap is way closer then he was suggesting.

Win shares is a stat made to determine how much a player contributed to winning games for his team. I don't know how that's a bad argument.. If your a great player, then you will be able to help your team win games.. You play to win.. Or at least I do..

NYKalltheway
08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
If you play for a great team, you'll have inflated win shares.... because your team wins.
If you have a great coach or a great FO, you may end up in a winning situation. If it was some other PF/C instead of Gasol, the Lakers would probably still win those titles. This is the thing people ignore on this website when discussing basketball players.

The difference in quality between two players is not listed on a boxscore or an accolades list. It's something shown on the court.

P.S: In my view, Gasol was the main reason for the Lakers winning those championships, but that doesn't mean that if it was someone else they'd not win.

PowerHouse
08-25-2014, 03:32 PM
that sounds pretty dumb to me but hey its your opinion.

i would think a team 0f anywhere from 00-14 lebron, kobe, durant, shaq, duncan, kg, wade, tmac would be way better than the 92 dream team. especially since u have to consider each of those dream team players as good as they were in they 92 season.
hell, i would take a starting lineup of lebron, kobe, durant, duncan and shaq over the 92 starting lineup

So you have Kobe? I have Jordan. You have Lebron? I have Magic. You have Shaq? David Robinson. Duncan? Charles Barkley. I having a real hard time seeing where you have an advantage. 2000-2014 are the best players from the weaker era, the dream team are the best of the best of the toughest era. If you think its "dumb" to pick against a team that features a prime Jordan and prime Magic, well that is far more telling of your IQ than it is for mine.

vangrumpy
08-25-2014, 05:59 PM
The longevity argument is kind of useless. We're not talking about lifetime achievement awards and it's just a who wins a 7 game series against each other. Yao was more dominant than Pau... no knock against Pau, just that the dude was 7'6", extremely skilled and could shoot lights out. You have different players that would go well with each other. KG would probably have been great paired with Yao. Hakeem, Jordan and Miller would have been amazing together.

vangrumpy
08-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I was watching some of the old games on NBA tv and even the guys like Dominique who are only listed 3rd on the depth charts were pretty amazing. He was so freaking athletic...

jaydubb
08-25-2014, 06:45 PM
If you play for a great team, you'll have inflated win shares.... because your team wins.
If you have a great coach or a great FO, you may end up in a winning situation. If it was some other PF/C instead of Gasol, the Lakers would probably still win those titles. This is the thing people ignore on this website when discussing basketball players.

The difference in quality between two players is not listed on a boxscore or an accolades list. It's something shown on the court.

P.S: In my view, Gasol was the main reason for the Lakers winning those championships, but that doesn't mean that if it was someone else they'd not win.

What other PF/C would have delivered 2 championships to the lakers? Only one I can think of is Tim Duncan.

Phantom Dreamer
08-25-2014, 06:48 PM
dream team would be any combination of any player from any era. period. the dream team had 14 Hall of Famers (11 players, 3 coaches), the 3 best players of 2 different eras (Magic, Larry, and Jordan), the GOAT, NBA's all time assists and steals leader (Stockton), annnnnnd....you get the point.Stockton wasn't even healthy during the '92 Olympics, he had a broken leg.

Bartlee23
08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
What other PF/C would have delivered 2 championships to the lakers? Only one I can think of is Tim Duncan.

I would say Garnett, Bosh or Dirk could have done it. Maybe even Randolph.

Bartlee23
08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Stockton wasn't even healthy during the '92 Olympics, he had a broken leg.

The object of the thread is the players in their prime, not the Olympics.

mike_noodles
08-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I'll take A and I don't think it's close.

ghettosean
08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
dream team would be any combination of any player from any era. period. the dream team had 14 Hall of Famers (11 players, 3 coaches), the 3 best players of 2 different eras (Magic, Larry, and Jordan), the GOAT, NBA's all time assists and steals leader (Stockton), annnnnnd....you get the point.

This

/thread

alexander_37
08-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Im not saying yao is way better than pau. There just isn't a debate. 2.1 is without an argument a bigger number than 2.

Phantom Dreamer
08-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Stockton wasn't even healthy during the '92 Olympics, he had a broken leg.

The object of the thread is the players in their prime, not the Olympics.Yeah, the original Dream Team could have been even better than they were. I pick Team A anyway.