PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Why Lakers Will Make the Playoffs

Tony_Starks
08-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Reasons:

- They actually have a legit coach.

- Their team consist of a mixture of vets and young athletes, something that's been missing for years.

- They have someone that can create their own offense with no plays called for them to relieve Kobe.

- They have this player that everyone says is finished that may just have something to say about that.

-At least one team in the West is about to completely fall off. Not naming any names ( Houston Rockets).

My prediction: 50 + wins.

KnicksYanks
08-22-2014, 02:19 PM
No

Sadds The Gr8
08-22-2014, 02:21 PM
:laugh:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-22-2014, 02:25 PM
we wont make the playoffs but will be better than Rockets

Htownballa1622
08-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Lmao. :laugh: :laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
I believe.

ManRam
Can't argue with that logic!!

Chronz
Even if Kobe was completely healthy and 2 years younger, he couldn't drag this team to the playoffs in this Western Conference.

NYKnickFanatic
Yup and the Knicks will win 70+ games...

NYKnickFanatic
08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I do agree that the Rockets will fall off though.

smith&wesson
kobe will have to have an mvp season for that to happen ... considering he has only had one season like that, I wouldnt have all that much hope.

goingfor28
No

Bruno
08-22-2014, 02:28 PM
not without Mitch pulling a rabbit out of the hat at the deadline.

you'd also have to discuss Lin performing at Linsanity type levels, Boozers looking like Utah Boozer, Randle as a ROY candidate and all the other pieces falling together for them to have a shot at the 7 or 8.

sep11ie
08-22-2014, 02:30 PM
I forgot that now that Lin is a Laker he is an offensive machibe and top 3 PG.

koreancabbage
08-22-2014, 02:31 PM

you'd also have to discuss Lin performing at Linsanity type levels, Boozers looking like Utah Boozer, Randle as a ROY candidate and all the other pieces falling together for them to have a shot at the 7 or 8.

i'm looking forward to the unleashed version of Jeremy Lin. Now, Kobe will know who Jeremy Lin is, even though Lin torched them that first game where Kobe was asked about Jeremy Lin (as a Knick)

jaydubb
08-22-2014, 02:33 PM
My prediction, lakers win 82 games this season (66 in regular season and 16 in playoffs)

Jus kidding..

Seriously tho, no.. Lakers won't make playoffs, the west is sooo stacked. Perhaps the strongest the west has ever been tbh, i hasn't looked it up but I'd love for someone to show me a season where the west was this dominant.

Tony_Starks
08-22-2014, 02:35 PM

We'll I've never liked Lins game so I didn't want to be a hypocrite. He is in a contract year though. Boozer as well. It wouldn't be shocking to see both of them have nice seasons....

Randle has game, he shouldn't jab even fell to the Lakers.

Confusious
08-22-2014, 02:35 PM
I forgot that now that Lin is a Laker he is an offensive machibe and top 3 PG.
And Carlos Boozer will lead the league in scoring.

ManRam
08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
This is the third straight year we've played this game. While year 1 was a bit different because there was actually talent, you'd think that would kinda be the impetus that checked a lot of this bizarre optimism at the door. Last year too. If you think the only reason the Lakers team of late have struggled is because of coaching then I get why you might be slightly optimistic, but there were certainly tons of other huge problems. The roster just doesn't stack up. It's not good enough, even with Kobe.

There's nothing wrong with Lakers fans holding out hope, but for the third straight year you're going to be wrong about things if you really think they're going to make the playoffs. Fool me once...fool me twice....you really wanna get fooled a third time?

tr3ymill3r
08-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Rockets will fall off because...

jaydubb
08-22-2014, 02:38 PM
In no particular order

Spurs
Thunder
Clips
Mavs
Grizz
Warriors
Tblazers
Suns

Houston will be close but I think they barely miss at 48 or 49 wins

bucketss
08-22-2014, 02:47 PM
everyone sleeping on the rockets.

Tony_Starks
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
This is the third straight year we've played this game. While year 1 was a bit different because there was actually talent, you'd think that would kinda be the impetus that checked a lot of this bizarre optimism at the door. Last year too. If you think the only reason the Lakers team of late have struggled is because of coaching then I get why you might be slightly optimistic, but there were certainly tons of other huge problems. The roster just doesn't stack up. It's not good enough, even with Kobe.

There's nothing wrong with Lakers fans holding out hope, but for the third straight year you're going to be wrong about things if you really think they're going to make the playoffs. Fool me once...fool me twice....you really wanna get fooled a third time?

I disagree ManRam. I know I personally lost all hope as long as Mike D was the coach. Those were just wasted seasons IMO. I had no aspirations under his tenure. This is the first time I've been hopeful in like 3 years.

sixers247
08-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Lakers have a better chance at having the worst record in the West than they do of making the playoffs.

Chronz
08-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Rockets will fall off because...

Decline in talent

ManRam
08-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I disagree ManRam. I know I personally lost all hope as long as Mike D was the coach. Those were just wasted seasons IMO. I had no aspirations under his tenure. This is the first time I've been hopeful in like 3 years.

I mean, I was as wrong about 2012-13 as probably even the most homerific Lakers fans. That team terrified me and I was depressed entering the season. I refused to even watch the Magic play them in early December of 2013 because I still thought that Laker team was going to destroy everything and I had no desire to watch that happen (we won, luckily I tuned in late enough to see it). I guess the point is: who knows? But still, I think blind optimism should be running its course in LAL, even as great and resilient that franchise is. The West is tough. Kobe is coming off some major injuries and is getting up there in age. A new coach is great, but new coaches also sometimes see growing pains. Youth is fun, but youth can also take some time to gel.

In the end, the defense still is just not there and the roster really just hasn't improved a ton. I think it has, especially if Kobe contributes, but we're talking about going from 27 wins to almost-50. That's a HUGE jump and I just don't think the roster moves and coaching changes can reasonably lead to that big of a jump.

It could happen, I just think banking on it is a bit silly. There were 13 teams better than them in the West last year...that's just a lot of ground to make up and I don't think Lin + Kobe + coach are good for 20-25 more wins :shrug:

HandsOnTheWheel
08-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Just too many question marks on that team.

lamzoka
08-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Sixers have a better chance of making the playoffs in the east, than the Lakers making it out west.

The odds of lakers making is probably somewhere around 0.000000000000001%

lakerfan85
08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

What are you talking about? They've only missed the playoffs this past season not two in a row..

cmellofan15
08-22-2014, 03:35 PM
so the rockets will fall out of the playoffs and the lakers will replace them?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's no way in hell that's happening next year.

ManRam
08-22-2014, 03:36 PM
What are you talking about? They've only missed the playoffs this past season not two in a row..

I misspoke in that first sentence of the second paragraph. The Lakers failed to meet expectations far worse in 2012-13 than last year, even though they snuck in. And when the Lakers probably miss the playoffs this year, the failure to meet expectations still won't compare. My only point is: why still be blindly optimistic after what's happened the last two seasons. That's all.

Iron24th
08-22-2014, 03:36 PM
To do that, lakers will need everything to go right in their favor, no injuries, instant chemistry etc...

Too much "if" but who knows...

RLundi
08-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Lakers fans who think their team will have:

35 wins- realists
40 wins- guarded optimists
45 wins- idealists
50+ wins- delusional homers

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2014, 03:55 PM
42 win team and no playoffs

tredigs
08-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Lakers fans who think their team will have:

35 wins- realists
40 wins- guarded optimists
45 wins- idealists
50+ wins- delusional homers
Lol. The Lakers will not win 35 games.

sixers247
08-22-2014, 04:06 PM
This roster does not look likt it can wim more that 30-35 games at most:

Carlos Boozer
Kobe Bryant
Jordan Clarkson
Ed Davis
Xavier Henry
Jordan Hill
Wesley Johnson
Ryan Kelly
Jeremy Lin
Steve Nash
Julius Randle
Robert Sacre
Nick Young

lamzoka
08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
This roster does not look likt it can wim more that 30-35 games at most:

Carlos Boozer
Kobe Bryant
Jordan Clarkson
Ed Davis
Xavier Henry
Jordan Hill
Wesley Johnson
Ryan Kelly
Jeremy Lin
Steve Nash
Julius Randle
Robert Sacre
Nick Young

The Lakers and the Jazz will be fighting for the worst record in the west

RLundi
08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Lol. The Lakers will not win 35 games.

Lol of course they will. They'll win a mere 8 games more than last season if everyone (mostly Kobe) stays even marginally healthy.

ldawg
08-22-2014, 04:13 PM
OKC
SPURS
CLIPPERS
DALLAS
HOUSTON
PORTLAND
GSW,LAKERS,MEMPHIS,SUNS will fight for the 7th and 8th spots

sixers247
08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
OKC
SPURS
CLIPPERS
DALLAS
HOUSTON
PORTLAND
GSW,LAKERS,MEMPHIS,SUNS will fight for the 7th and 8th spots

How with this?
Carlos Boozer- Eh, no defense
Kobe Bryant- Down hill and will have to score 35
Jordan Clarkson- Rookie who won't make a huge impact
Ed Davis- Becnh guy
Xavier Henry- Bum
Jordan Hill- Good rebounder and defense
Wesley Johnson- Bum
Ryan Kelly- Bum and i even like him
Jeremy Lin- LOL
Steve Nash- No back
Julius Randle- Like him
Robert Sacre- LOL
Nick Young- Chucker extrordinare

nickdymez
08-22-2014, 04:42 PM

If all these things happened then the Lakers would be a top 5 team in the conference. They aren't that bad. If people actually watched them last year, they were decent. Just lacked a go to guy down the stretch, consistent defence, and a competent coach. They have all those things now. Let's just wait and see before we write them off please. Thanks

nickdymez
08-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Injuries though? It's not like they really underachieved. They were injured.

WITZ
08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
April fools in august :laugh2:

MTar786
08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
lol 50 wins? ok

Iron24th
08-22-2014, 05:09 PM
How with this?
Ed Davis- Becnh guy
Xavier Henry- Bum
Wesley Johnson- Bum
Jeremy Lin- LOL
Steve Nash- No back
Julius Randle- Like him
Robert Sacre- LOL

That is a pretty stupid statement

You can write stupid things like this about many NBA players, what count is chemistry and effort, if some middle class players do it together they can win, don't act like no NBA team never surprised people before, it's a long shot but still can happen.

People trashed last year suns before the season started and look what happened, in a good environment, things can go right.

bucketss
08-22-2014, 05:21 PM
If all these things happened then the Lakers would be a top 5 team in the conference. They aren't that bad. If people actually watched them last year, they were decent. Just lacked a go to guy down the stretch, consistent defence, and a competent coach. They have all those things now. Let's just wait and see before we write them off please. Thanks

maybe they will be a 9th seed.

Kobe24MVP
08-22-2014, 05:49 PM
How with this?
Ed Davis- Becnh guy
Xavier Henry- Bum
Wesley Johnson- Bum
Jeremy Lin- LOL
Steve Nash- No back
Julius Randle- Like him
Robert Sacre- LOL

First of all, anyone can take a teams roster and write random crap next to their names to make them sound worse than they are. What the hell kind of analysis is LOL??? Lin has been a more then respectable player in this league.

Second of all I wanna know how many Laker games you watched last year?? Im going to guess none. Nick Young is not the mindless chucker that everyone makes him out to be, sure he likes to shoot, but he is good at it and he was an important part on a bench that was the second highest scoring bench in the NBA last year. Also Xavier Henry played very well last year before he got hurt, I like the way he could effectively drive to the rim and finish in traffic, played with high energy, and could shoot alot better than I expected him too as well.

And 3rd of all the Lakers had possibly the worst coach and probably had more injuries then any team in history! Hell, before all the injuries and with Kobe still out, they managed to stay around .500 even with Dantoni running the show.

I am a huge Lakers fan, but I'm not gonna promise the Lakers will make the playoffs this year. Kobe will be back, they upgraded BIG time at coach, and if they at least stay somewhat healthy, they are easily 10-15 wins better than last season. Maybe even more.

Confusious
08-22-2014, 05:52 PM
That is a pretty stupid statement

You can write stupid things like this about many NBA players, what count is chemistry and effort, if some middle class players do it together they can win, don't act like no NBA team never surprised people before, it's a long shot but still can happen.

People trashed last year suns before the season started and look what happened, in a good environment, things can go right.
You know what else is stupid? Thinking that a 27-55 Lakers team, that just replaced Gasol with Boozer, is somehow going to change everything around.

Even if Kobe Bryant returns and is fully healthy, they will not make the playoffs. Not with that roster.

Iron24th
08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
You know what else is stupid? Thinking that a 27-55 Lakers team, that just replaced Gasol with Boozer, is somehow going to change everything around.

Even if Kobe Bryant returns and is fully healthy, they will not make the playoffs. Not with that roster.

That wasn't my point, when did I say they will make the playoffs? I don't pretend to be nostradamus like you.

So who will win the 2015 championship? Can't wait to read your answer.

flclfanman
08-22-2014, 06:45 PM
How the Lakes get into the playoffs:

-The Spurs team bus drive into a black hole

-The Clippers drown in Steve Ballmer's sweaty armpits

-Portland petitions the NBA to move the team to Portland, Maine and therefore, the Eastern Conference

-Golden State implodes (very plausible with a new coach and a pissed off Klay Thompson)

-If all of the Rockets catch the Harden disease of playing ****** defense

-If the Monstars show up and drain all of OKC's talent

-and if Rick Carlsye retires from coaching because he's bored

There's the plan for success ;)

FlashBolt
08-22-2014, 06:52 PM
And this is why Kobe vs LeBron arguments are always laughable. You have a Lakers fan posting this...

east fb knicks
08-22-2014, 06:56 PM

-Portland petitions the NBA to move the team to Portland, Maine and therefore, the Eastern Conference

-Golden State implodes (very plausible with a new coach and a pissed off Klay Thompson)

sounds about right to me :laugh2:

PurpleLynch
08-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Pretty much this.

nickdymez
08-22-2014, 08:03 PM
And this is why Kobe vs LeBron arguments are always laughable. You have a Lakers fan posting this...
What's this got to do with kobe and LeBron, Troll

THE MTL
08-22-2014, 08:31 PM
This team is worse than the ultimate prime Kobe who averaged 35ppg that Kobe couldn't lead to the playoffs.

Vinylman
08-22-2014, 09:00 PM
LMFAO

The Lakers are in disarray ... 50 wins SMFH

Nice to see you trolling yourself though

well done

bucketss
08-22-2014, 09:04 PM
This team is worse than the ultimate prime Kobe who averaged 35ppg that Kobe couldn't lead to the playoffs.

lol no.

Iron24th
08-22-2014, 09:10 PM

You mean the 2005/2006 Lakers? Where Kobe averaged 35,4pts/game?

Lol this team finished 7th seed (45-37) and btw made the playoffs, go check before posting next time

benzni
08-22-2014, 09:24 PM
32-50

GREATNESS ONE
08-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Eeeeewwwww. Don't remind me D'Antoni was coach. Disgusting.

GREATNESS ONE
08-22-2014, 09:36 PM
LMFAO

The Lakers are in disarray ... 50 wins SMFH

Nice to see you trolling yourself though

well done

:laugh2: best post in the thread.

ldawg
08-22-2014, 11:05 PM

you'd also have to discuss Lin performing at Linsanity type levels, Boozers looking like Utah Boozer, Randle as a ROY candidate and all the other pieces falling together for them to have a shot at the 7 or 8.dang if all that happen they win the title. Forget 7 and 8 seed. Dude the Spurs won the title last year. The west is brutal but it have no dominant team.

Bozeman
08-22-2014, 11:23 PM
If they hit 40 wins i'd be shocked.

Even MVP style Kobe would lead this team to an 8th seed at best.

Maybe 5 years ago, but the west is simply too stacked now.

I mean they are 4th best in their own division. :(

force_within
08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
kobe needs to average atleast 50pts per game..:laugh:

mightybosstone
08-22-2014, 11:31 PM
we wont make the playoffs but will be better than Rockets

If the Lakers finish the season with a better record than the Rockets (barring major injury or transaction), then I will quit PSD forever. I'm that confident. And you can all put it in your sigs and bookmark this post.

GiantsSwaGG
08-22-2014, 11:38 PM
If the Lakers finish the season with a better record than the Rockets (barring major injury or transaction), then I will quit PSD forever. I'm that confident. And you can all put it in your sigs and bookmark this post.

Whoever win (Bewteen Mightybosstone and Kobe24) deletes their accounts...

mightybosstone
08-22-2014, 11:41 PM

Yes! I'm 100% in support of that bet. I doubt very seriously he has the balls to do it.

GiantsSwaGG
08-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Yes! I'm 100% in support of that bet. I doubt very seriously he has the balls to do it.

lol I doubt it too

Vinny642
08-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Pelican with soo much potential, and talent wont make the playoffs but the Lakers will, with crap

WaDe03
08-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Wade vs. Kobe NBA Finals.

But in all seriousness the Lakers won't make the playoffs. I wish they would just to watch Kobe in the playoffs but it won't happen.

I'll donate my left *** to PSD if the Lakers make the playoffs.

torocan
08-23-2014, 01:05 AM
I just don't see it as probable. Is it impossible? Of course not, however a LOT of things would have to go right for the Lakers (and wrong for other teams) for them to get to the 50ish wins needed for a play off seed in the West.

If the Lakers were in the East, I could see it happening. In the West, the entire Lakers team would have to play to near peak levels (Kobe getting back to 80%+ form, Lin having a good contract season, Boozer turning back the clock somewhat, Randle finding his footing quickly, Scott getting his system together quickly), and even then you'd probably need some injuries during the season to at least 2 play off teams in the West.

I suspect your most likely scenario for the Lakers to make the play offs would be an impact injury to at least 2 teams like Harden/Dwight/Lillard/Dragic/Dirk on the Rockets/Portland/Suns/Mavs for it to happen -- assuming that the Lakers managed to gel quickly and the players on the roster were relatively injury free and playing well.

I suspect 35-40 wins is the more probable scenario (a good chunk of the schedule is still against the East). Anything more than that would be gravy.

savvy1803
08-23-2014, 01:13 AM
Reasons:

- Their team consist of a mixture of vets and young athletes, something that's been missing for years.

- They have someone that can create their own offense with no plays called for them to relieve Kobe.

- They have this player that everyone says is finished that may just have something to say about that.

-At least one team in the West is about to completely fall off. Not naming any names ( Houston Rockets).

I like your optimism and i too will be hoping for a playoff appearance but it is a bit of a tall order , still that's why you play the games and cheer for your team .

Arch Stanton
08-23-2014, 01:14 AM
Are we thinking about the Lakers chances in the WNBA? It's one thing to be optimistic an another to be completely delusional.

Confusious
08-23-2014, 01:23 AM

Dying of laughter.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-23-2014, 01:45 AM

lol why would I do that:laugh:

LA_Raiders
08-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Kobe's will...

JEDean89
08-23-2014, 03:07 AM
name the 7 teams who would have to be worse. Utah, Minnesota, Sac I'm buying but the Nuggets, Suns, Grizz, Mavs, Pelicans? Good luck with that.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2014, 03:38 AM
It's pretty obvious the majority of PSD folks outside of Cali didn't watch the Lakers last year.

They were horribly hurt AND horribly coached. Neither is the case now. Please don't get it twisted and act like they are your perineal lotto team......

amak316
08-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Everyone's hating on Houston, but they are built to be a regular season juggernaut, their playoff spot is not in jeopardy. The only way they miss the playoffs is if they suffer a significant injury (howard/harden). Getting out of the first round with McHale running the show and the refs swallowing their whistles seems close to impossible however.

I think the Lakers could certainly be a dark horse to make the playoffs if Kobe somehow plays at his 2012 level (unlikely) and he can mesh seamlessly with Lin despite both preferring to be ball dominant. I really don't like the Pau for Boozer downgrade however, Boozer was substantially less than worthless last year.

Crackadalic
08-23-2014, 04:17 AM
They have the 9th easiest schedule but I still don't think it's enough out west

GoferKing_
08-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Wut? This is for real? 50+ wins? xD

ManRam
08-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Kobe's will...

...isn't always enough, even in his prime (see: 04-05 to 06-07...none of those teams had a record that would see them in the playoffs this upcoming year).

Really, it just comes down the the fact that there were 13 better teams in the West last year and the Lakers have to improve by 20-23 wins to make the playoffs. Did they really improve enough to jump at least 6 teams and nearly double their win output? I think common sense and logic suggest that it's FFFAAAARRRRR more unlikely than not. That's it. Period. We can dissect some of the minutia like how Lin is a slight upgrade, or how D'Antoni is gone, and how Kobe is back....but none of that comes close to closing that gap and leap-frogging all those teams...of which many improved a ton too.

tr3ymill3r
08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Did James Harden and Dwight Howard get traded or die?

Triple_Ocho
08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
1. San Antonio
2. OKC
3. Clippers
4. Mavs
5. Warriors
6. Houston
7. Memphis
8. Portland

No space in their for this year's Lakers team. Phoenix, Sacramento, and Denver are all gonna be better than LA. I'm gonna predict Minny will be much improved after dealing Love. Lakers are gonna figh with Minny for that highly covered 12th spot in the west lol

nycericanguy
08-23-2014, 11:51 AM
If Kobe is relatively healthy they could sneak in.

People laugh at Lin but he's an efficient scorer and can give them 15-18ppg.

Boozer is still capable of 16 & 8, people act like he's trash but didn't he start like every game for those good CHI teams?

Nash could have something left as a backup.

Randall could be good.

I mean things have to go right, but I wouldn't bet against Kobe.

albertajaysfan
08-23-2014, 01:52 PM
If Kobe is relatively healthy they could sneak in.

People laugh at Lin but he's an efficient scorer and can give them 15-18ppg.

Boozer is still capable of 16 & 8, people act like he's trash but didn't he start like every game for those good CHI teams?

Nash could have something left as a backup.

Randall could be good.

I mean things have to go right, but I wouldn't bet against Kobe.

Lin will be an upgrade at the point for sure. Plus with Kobe coming back their backcourt should improve. Their frontcourt though is highly suspect.

They have no depth at the 5.
Too much depth at the 4 with players who aren't that great.
Boozer may give you 16/8 the problem is more what will he give up to the opposing 4. He may have started games for Chicago but what is telling is how little he played in 4th quarters last year for Chicago.
As for Randall I think he will be good but the parts don't seem to fit together for this Lakers team.

Will they be improved? Totally possible but I think it is just as likely they finish near the bottom of the conference as well. That is more a reflection on how solid the West is as opposed to how bad the Lakers are though in my opinion.

I just can't think of 7 teams in the West (barring injury) that I would say the Lakers are better then at this point.

lol, please
08-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Reasons:

They won't. Not for a few seasons. Deal with it.

mightybosstone
08-23-2014, 02:51 PM
It's pretty obvious the majority of PSD folks outside of Cali didn't watch the Lakers last year.

They were horribly hurt AND horribly coached. Neither is the case now. Please don't get it twisted and act like they are your perineal lotto team......

Did YOU watch the Lakers last season? Jodie Meeks and Jordan Hill were first and second on the team in WS with 4.5 and 4.4. For the entire season. And they swapped arguably their best player last season in Pau for a poorer version of himself in Carlos Boozer. At Kobe's peak, he might have been worth an extra 15-20 wins by himself. But you're asking him to make up 23+ wins by himself and the Lakers didn't even improve the supporting cast around him. It got worse.

And all of that is before you consider how truly awful the Lakers defense is going to be this season. They were one of the two or three worst defensive teams in the league last season and they swapped out Gasol (sadly one of their best defenders) for Boozer. I wouldn't be shocked if they gave up 110 per game. And unless Kobe's putting up 40+ a night, no way are they going to score enough to make up for that.

In all seriousness, I get that you want your team to succeed. I get it. I can relate. But at some point you have to be realistic about the Lakers' situation. There is literally not a single reason to believe the Lakers could win 50 or more games this seasonsand the very fact that you were bold enough to post a thread about it shows how out of touch you are with reality when it comes to this team.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Did YOU watch the Lakers last season? Jodie Meeks and Jordan Hill were first and second on the team in WS with 4.5 and 4.4. For the entire season. And they swapped arguably their best player last season in Pau for a poorer version of himself in Carlos Boozer. At Kobe's peak, he might have been worth an extra 15-20 wins by himself. But you're asking him to make up 23+ wins by himself and the Lakers didn't even improve the supporting cast around him. It got worse.

And all of that is before you consider how truly awful the Lakers defense is going to be this season. They were one of the two or three worst defensive teams in the league last season and they swapped out Gasol (sadly one of their best defenders) for Boozer. I wouldn't be shocked if they gave up 110 per game. And unless Kobe's putting up 40+ a night, no way are they going to score enough to make up for that.

In all seriousness, I get that you want your team to succeed. I get it. I can relate. But at some point you have to be realistic about the Lakers' situation. There is literally not a single reason to believe the Lakers could win 50 or more games this seasonsand the very fact that you were bold enough to post a thread about it shows how out of touch you are with reality when it comes to this team.

I like how you conveniently left out the Lakers didn't have their best player on the floor, half of their scrubs got hurt, and they had one of the worst defensive coaches in history ever at the helm. Thats a pretty big deal.

I watched every single game,the Lakers literally put out a D- league team half the year. Almost forfeited a game because they only had 8 players...

It's all good though, I will definitely bump this at allstar break.

Iron24th
08-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Lol at people acting like pau is still elite, I got news for you, he isn't anymore since 2012, boozer doesn't defend, but if you think pau was a better defender you're kidding yourself.

Bruno
08-23-2014, 05:16 PM
42 win team and no playoffs

thats where i'm leaning.

.500, 9th spot.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Lol at people acting like pau is still elite, I got news for you, he isn't anymore since 2012, boozer doesn't defend, but if you think pau was a better defender you're kidding yourself.

According to psd Gasol was super ordinary before he came to the Lakers, then was a all world superstar that carried them to multiple Finals.

I'm not sure but I think they're saying he's not that good again....

mightybosstone
08-23-2014, 07:28 PM
I like how you conveniently left out the Lakers didn't have their best player on the floor, half of their scrubs got hurt, and they had one of the worst defensive coaches in history ever at the helm. Thats a pretty big deal.
Kobe alone is not going to make up 23 games. Period.

And you make it sound like if they had Tom Thibodeau that they would have been a top defensive team. But the Lakers defensive personnel is just atrocious. Gasol and Wesley Johnson were probably their only average defensive starters. Kobe is a minus on that end of the floor at this point in his career and Boozer just sucks. If Hill starts that might help out a tad, but this current Lakers team is unquestionably a bottom 10 defensive squad.

I watched every single game,the Lakers literally put out a D- league team half the year. Almost forfeited a game because they only had 8 players...
Yes, and most of those guys are STILL going to be your key contributors this season! Aside from getting Kobe back healthy, what other key acquisitions have the Lakers made this season that will make them a better team this year? Name one.

It's all good though, I will definitely bump this at allstar break.
I'm going to go out on a pretty strong limb and say that you won't be bumping this thread after the first month of the season. The Lakers are not a good basketball team. They just don't have the personnel and they play in one of the strongest, deepest conferences in the history of the league. Frankly, I think .500 is wishful thinking for them at this point and that's assuming Kobe comes back and plays at his 2012-13 level.

mightybosstone
08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Who's saying he's elite? I'm certainly not. But he's a better player than Boozer and I've always thought him a better defender. If Boozer posts better defensive stats, it's because he plays for one of the 2-3 best defensive teams in the league surrounded by elite defensive players with the best defensive coach.

According to psd Gasol was super ordinary before he came to the Lakers, then was a all world superstar that carried them to multiple Finals.

I'm not sure but I think they're saying he's not that good again....

Gasol will go down in the league as one of the 80-100 greatest players in the history of the game in my book. He was remarkably skilled at his peak, he was probably a top 10-12 guy in that three stretch from '10-'12 and he was the best player at times in that 2011 season (including the playoffs). That being said, he's a long way from being that guy at this point. I still think he can be a competent No. 3 for a contender, but he's not going to be as efficient and he's not going to carry games for you like he used to be able to.

Iron24th
08-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Who's saying he's elite? I'm certainly not. But he's a better player than Boozer and I've always thought him a better defender. If Boozer posts better defensive stats, it's because he plays for one of the 2-3 best defensive teams in the league surrounded by elite defensive players with the best defensive coach.

Wrong again, it's obvious you didn't see pau playing the last 3 seasons, pau is probably one of the worst defender of the league, his head to head macthup is an automatic score every possession, ask some Lakers fans and you'll find out.

THE MTL
08-23-2014, 09:22 PM

You mean the 2005/2006 Lakers? Where Kobe averaged 35,4pts/game?

Lol this team finished 7th seed (45-37) and btw made the playoffs, go check before posting next time

I stand corrected. Man 45-37 with that team in the West! He was definitely robbed of MVP.

alexander_37
08-23-2014, 09:47 PM
LOLOLOL trading Lin and Parsons for Ariza moves you from the 4th seed to out of the playoffs. Not to mention the amount that Beverly Harden and Jones improve.

Let me ****ing repeat that YOU ARE SAYING JEREMY LIN AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHANDLER PARSONS AND TREVOR ARIZA IS WORTH AT LEAST FIVE POSITIONS IN THE STANDINGS. ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS.

Also the Lakers wont even sniff the playoffs they are a 30-35 win team tops.

Sadds The Gr8
08-23-2014, 10:53 PM

Lol this

Iron24th
08-24-2014, 03:47 AM
LOLOLOL trading Lin and Parsons for Ariza moves you from the 4th seed to out of the playoffs. Not to mention the amount that Beverly Harden and Jones improve.

Let me ****ing repeat that YOU ARE SAYING JEREMY LIN AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHANDLER PARSONS AND TREVOR ARIZA IS WORTH AT LEAST FIVE POSITIONS IN THE STANDINGS. ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS.

Also the Lakers wont even sniff the playoffs they are a 30-35 win team tops.

You forgot to mention the loss of Asik

ldawg
08-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Lakers can make the playoffs but they are shy 1 player at the moment. They have 0 room for error. Any injury to Kobe, Lin, Young and even Johnson their toast. Not to mention production from Nash will need him to play good off the bench. If they stay healthy they are no worst than GSW.

ldawg
08-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Wrong again, it's obvious you didn't see pau playing the last 3 seasons, pau is probably one of the worst defender of the league, his head to head macthup is an automatic score every possession, ask some Lakers fans and you'll find out.Pau was never a physical player even when Lakers went to the finals 3 straight years. Pau is slower now don't confuse it. Think about this for a sec Pau went to the finals 3 years and won 2 titles playing next to Odom who is no great defender also. He played defense avg at least 1bpg and his length alter many more. Dude can almost touch the rim without jumping. Pau issue is speed players can now get around him but he is still a very good player. You can say Miami did the same small ball line up with Bosh at center and Lebron at the 4. Bosh was even a worst defender than Pau at center. Grab less rebounds, block just a tad fewer shots. Injuries, fatigue playing for Spain, 3 trips to the finals, Laker fans degrading his value, Trade talk and mike Dantoni was Pau issue. Boozer get rebounds and have a solid mid range game but his defense is worst than Pau. Deandre Jordan, makes Pau look like he is stuck in mud and dunk on his head and everyone jump for joy but how far have he took the Clippers? My point is Pau played defense and played true many injuries. He is soft but not as soft as some Laker fans made him out to be.

MonroeFAN
08-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Houston is 10x better than the Lakers and both teams aren't going to win anything any time soon.

ldawg
08-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Houston is 10x better than the Lakers and both teams aren't going to win anything any time soon.

They are better not sure about 10x better. The west is brutal but its not like the east where the best 2 teams sits above .500 while the others sits at .350. in the west you got 9 teams above .500. In other words 5 games makes a huge difference even if you sit at 4th seed in the west.

ldawg
08-24-2014, 08:14 AM
IMO Lakers is last year Dallas

alexander_37
08-24-2014, 08:31 AM
You forgot to mention the loss of Asik
Who basically didn't play....

Goose17
08-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Your bench is pretty awful. It has to be said.

Anyway, I reckon the Lakers will finish about 11th/12th along with Minny.

No way they make the playoffs. I mean you have last year's playoff teams who are all better plus the improvements of New Orleans (Davis with another years experience, healthy Jrue, addition of Asik) the young and sort of promising Minnesota and the decent Denver side. All of that PLUS Phoenix who were almost playing .600 ball and still managed to miss the playoffs.

Sorry Lakers, it ain't happening. 11th seed is your ceiling this year.

mightybosstone
08-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Your bench is pretty awful. It has to be said.

I can see why the general public would think that, but I thought the Rockets bench was awful last year. I mean just really dreadful. If it wasn't for Asik and D-Mo pulling it together at the end of the season, that probably would have been the worst bench of the Daryl Morey era (and might still have been). The loss of Asik and Lin hurt, but Houston is far, far deeper going into this season than they were last year. Canaan and D-Mo have improved, they're getting two great defensive players from Europe in Dorsey and Papanikolou, Jeff Adrien had a sneaky good year last year in Milwaukee and I really like the young combo guards in Nick Johnson and Troy Daniels.

It will be a young bench, but I like that they got guys who fit specific roles they desperately needed to be filled on that bench. I think their 8-10 man roster on a nightly basis should be superior over this next season than last year.

torocan
08-24-2014, 11:50 AM

To be fair, the difference between 4th place in the West and 9th seed (out of the play offs) was SIX games last year.

4th seed - 54 wins (tie breaker to Houston)
5th seed - 54 wins (Portland)
8th seed - 49 wins (Dallas)
9th seed - 48 wins (Suns)

While it certainly isn't guaranteed, it's not necessarily unreasonable to think that the combined losses of Parsons, Asik and Lin could add up to 6 wins.

How many games were won by Houston last year due to the impact of those players either offensively or defensively? Lin was the difference maker in multiple games when Harden and Beverley were injured. Asik carried the load when defending the rim multiple times when Dwight got into foul trouble. And Parsons made critical plays multiple times throughout the season.

That doesn't mean that Houston is going to miss the play offs, but with last year's win margins SO thin, winning 5 or 6 fewer wins could easily cost a team in the West 5 spots, especially when you're fighting in the middle of the pack.

So yes, losing Asik, Lin and Parsons could conceivably lead to the Rockets falling to 7th/8th seed, or even missing the play offs considering the insane depth of the West.

mightybosstone
08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
While it certainly isn't guaranteed, it's not necessarily unreasonable to think that the combined losses of Parsons, Asik and Lin could add up to 6 wins.
But there are so many things you aren't factoring in to offset the loss of those players. Like the acquisition of Ariza, the horrible second half of the season that Lin had and Asik missing half the season and pouting on the sidelines. Then there's Beverley's injury last season, the addition of other quality bench guys like Papanikolou, Dorsey and Adrien, Harden and Howard having another year under their belts and the development of their young players (of which there are many).

How many games were won by Houston last year due to the impact of those players either offensively or defensively?
Parsons? Probably several, but you have to consider what adding Ariza will do to offset that contribution.

Lin was the difference maker in multiple games when Harden and Beverley were injured.
He had a few nice games and helped keep the team together when Beverley was out, but the Rockets were still a far superior team when Beverley was healthy than when we on the bench. Also, Lin's contribution is being pretty overrated here. As a starter, he put up 14/5/3/1, but off the bench he was just an 11/4 guy with mediocre shooting stats. And he was never going to be a starter on this team, so that's essentially what they were going to get from him.

Asik carried the load when defending the rim multiple times when Dwight got into foul trouble.
He also missed half of the season and was a significant distraction to the team. And he really didn't get into a rhythm on either side of the court until late in the second half of last season when he came back from his "injury."

That doesn't mean that Houston is going to miss the play offs, but with last year's win margins SO thin, winning 5 or 6 fewer wins could easily cost a team in the West 5 spots, especially when you're fighting in the middle of the pack. So yes, losing Asik, Lin and Parsons could conceivably lead to the Rockets falling to 7th/8th seed, or even missing the play offs considering the insane depth of the West.
Anything could happen, and I'm not saying the Rockets are a lock to stay a top 5 seed next year. But you're acting like they lost three of their top rotational players and added absolutely nothing in return, which couldn't be further from the truth. This will be a better defensive team with better depth and could feasibly make up the loss of those guys solely by the development of all the young guys on the roster. There's a lot of talent on this team, and I'd honestly be pretty shocked if they were lower than a 5th seed next season.

alexander_37
08-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Not to mention Harden is turning 25 this year IIRC.

Dwight is going into his second year with the team so he should be more comfortable.

Beverley is essentially a sophmore

Their starting PF is basically in his second year so should also have another season of growth considering how raw he was.

Goose17
08-24-2014, 12:54 PM
I really like Lin so I feel like Houston fans are being harsh, then again I may be bias a little due to the fact I like his game.

How do Houston fans feel about their coaching? Just out of curiosity.

I feel like the West is so deep it's as unpredictable now as it ever could be. I said the same last year, I told people before the season started warriors could be the 4th seed just as easily as the 8th. In the end we were only 3 games away from being tied as the 4th seed and simultaneously 3 games away from missing the playoffs entirely lmao.

And you know what. I'm saying the same this year. Not just for my team but for many teams. Houston could be a top 4 seed just as easily as they could be in the bottom 4 seeding.

I see them finishing around 5th/6th if you absolutely force me to make a prediction but I can't even state that with any kind of conviction at this point.

mightybosstone
08-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I really like Lin so I feel like Houston fans are being harsh, then again I may be bias a little due to the fact I like his game.
I loved Lin when he first came to Houston, but I thought my expectations for him were relatively reasonable. He just never met those expectations. He's wildly inconsistent as a shooter, dribbles into far too many bad situations under the paint and makes too many passes he has no business making. And defensively, it's just bad. He and Harden are quite similar on that end of the floor. They play passing lanes well and can handle slower guards one-on-one in a pinch, but they get absolutely torched by quick penetrating guards.

Last year, Lin started off being the 6th man I thought he was capable of being. I was genuinely surprised by how well he was playing, but then it call came crashing down after the All-Star break when he averaged 11/4 on 41% shooting.

McHale is great with the players, especially young guys. Athletes love to play for him and he does a good job of developing young talent, especially big men. And I think he generally does a good job of teaching and preaching the fundamentals like rebounding and pick and roll basketball. But he's not good at drawing up plays, especially late in games, and he gives far too much control to his players in late game moments. Also, he leaves a lot to be desired as a defensive coach.

I feel like the West is so deep it's as unpredictable now as it ever could be. I said the same last year, I told people before the season started warriors could be the 4th seed just as easily as the 8th. In the end we were only 3 games away from being tied as the 4th seed and simultaneously 3 games away from missing the playoffs entirely lmao.

And you know what. I'm saying the same this year. Not just for my team but for many teams. Houston could be a top 4 seed just as easily as they could be in the bottom 4 seeding.

I see them finishing around 5th/6th if you absolutely force me to make a prediction but I can't even state that with any kind of conviction at this point.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think Houston ultimately finished somewhere around 3-6, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 2nd or 8th either. The West is just too unpredictable and too talented to have any real idea of where the teams are going to shake out. And I realize we say this every season, but at some point the Spurs really do have to fall off. I'm really, really hoping that it's this season.

Tony_Starks
08-24-2014, 08:34 PM

In the West last year the Mavs were predicted to be around 10-12th and everyone said they were pretty much a fluke all season until the playoffs. Same for Portland. Phoenix was also predicted to be garbage. Meanwhile the Wolves were supposed to make the playoffs and Rockets 2nd round at minimum.

When a team makes legit roster and coaching improvements it's hard to summarily dismiss them before a game has even been played. By the same token when a team has gotten worse or stood pat it's hard to just lock them in to the same "success" they had the year before....

bearadonisdna
08-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Honestly im on the lakers playoff bandwagon. Why Boozer. Believe it or not i believe boozer is a guy that can lead a team to the playoffs, championship piece? What do you think?
But a guy who can propel a mediocre team to respectable, sure.
So u heard it here, other crappy ***** team wanting to get to the playoffs with cap space but didnt want to take on boozer, enjoy ur suckage.

mightybosstone
08-25-2014, 12:00 AM
In the West last year the Mavs were predicted to be around 10-12th and everyone said they were pretty much a fluke all season until the playoffs. Same for Portland. Phoenix was also predicted to be garbage. Meanwhile the Wolves were supposed to make the playoffs and Rockets 2nd round at minimum.
The Mavericks had a competent core of veteran players around Dirk. The Lakers don't.

When a team makes legit roster and coaching improvements it's hard to summarily dismiss them before a game has even been played. By the same token when a team has gotten worse or stood pat it's hard to just lock them in to the same "success" they had the year before....

What roster improvements? The Lakers get Kobe back, they added Jeremy Lin and they got noticeably worse at PF by swapping Gasol for Boozer. What the hell else did they do this offseason that's so noteworthy in terms of roster changes? You keep talking about roster improvements, but aside from getting Kobe back, I completely fail to see where actual improvements were made.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Pau was never a physical player even when Lakers went to the finals 3 straight years. Pau is slower now don't confuse it. Think about this for a sec Pau went to the finals 3 years and won 2 titles playing next to Odom who is no great defender also. He played defense avg at least 1bpg and his length alter many more. Dude can almost touch the rim without jumping. Pau issue is speed players can now get around him but he is still a very good player. You can say Miami did the same small ball line up with Bosh at center and Lebron at the 4. Bosh was even a worst defender than Pau at center. Grab less rebounds, block just a tad fewer shots. Injuries, fatigue playing for Spain, 3 trips to the finals, Laker fans degrading his value, Trade talk and mike Dantoni was Pau issue. Boozer get rebounds and have a solid mid range game but his defense is worst than Pau. Deandre Jordan, makes Pau look like he is stuck in mud and dunk on his head and everyone jump for joy but how far have he took the Clippers? My point is Pau played defense and played true many injuries. He is soft but not as soft as some Laker fans made him out to be.

On defense he is soft, slow and doesn't give any effort, that's the truth.

Stop living in the past when he was average.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 12:15 AM

He played 48 games and posted 6pts/8rbs/1blk per game

That's way more than any of your backup C/PF will post this year so far.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I loved Lin when he first came to Houston, but I thought my expectations for him were relatively reasonable. He just never met those expectations. He's wildly inconsistent as a shooter, dribbles into far too many bad situations under the paint and makes too many passes he has no business making. And defensively, it's just bad. He and Harden are quite similar on that end of the floor. They play passing lanes well and can handle slower guards one-on-one in a pinch, but they get absolutely torched by quick penetrating guards.

Last year, Lin started off being the 6th man I thought he was capable of being. I was genuinely surprised by how well he was playing, but then it call came crashing down after the All-Star break when he averaged 11/4 on 41% shooting.

McHale is great with the players, especially young guys. Athletes love to play for him and he does a good job of developing young talent, especially big men. And I think he generally does a good job of teaching and preaching the fundamentals like rebounding and pick and roll basketball. But he's not good at drawing up plays, especially late in games, and he gives far too much control to his players in late game moments. Also, he leaves a lot to be desired as a defensive coach.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I think Houston ultimately finished somewhere around 3-6, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 2nd or 8th either. The West is just too unpredictable and too talented to have any real idea of where the teams are going to shake out. And I realize we say this every season, but at some point the Spurs really do have to fall off. I'm really, really hoping that it's this season.

Thinking houston can finish 2nd or 3rd ahead teams like OKC, LAC, Portland, Dallas is just as delusional as you say Lakers fans are thinking they'll make the playoffs.

bucketss
08-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Thinking houston can finish 2nd or 3rd ahead teams like OKC, LAC, Portland, Dallas is just as delusional as you say Lakers fans are thinking they'll make the playoffs.

why not they're talented enough.

ldawg
08-25-2014, 12:45 AM
On defense he is soft, slow and doesn't give any effort, that's the truth.

Stop living in the past when he was average.He always was. Not living in the past. I pointed out he got slower. What you all don't notice is his role changed as well. When he put his mind to it and healthy he was darn close to the same player. Laker Fans needed a whipping boy and Pau was the easy target not being a physical player. I think that affected him and created a somewhat faults image. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWNzNFSNgU he was good enough to win 2 titles then he became the softest player in the world.

FriedTofuz
08-25-2014, 12:53 AM
If the lakers start boozer at the 3, they're the worst team in the league.

mightybosstone
08-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Why is it delusional to think that the Rockets could finish ahead of Dallas or Portland when they were a higher playoff seed than those teams last season or LAC, who had only three more wins than them last year?

alexander_37
08-25-2014, 01:05 AM
He played 48 games and posted 6pts/8rbs/1blk per game

That's way more than any of your backup C/PF will post this year so far.

Terrence Jones went from scoring 100 points last season on below average efficiency. This season he put up 12/7/1.3 blocks on 54% shooting and 57% TS.

I am not saying he is a budding star but he could be. He went from being very raw to being passable and got better as the season went on.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 03:41 AM

There's about 8 or 9 teams in the west that could finish ahead of Dallas :laugh:

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Terrence Jones went from scoring 100 points last season on below average efficiency. This season he put up 12/7/1.3 blocks on 54% shooting and 57% TS.

I am not saying he is a budding star but he could be. He went from being very raw to being passable and got better as the season went on.

cause jones was a starter last season and played starter minutes, I talked about your bench

so what's your point?

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 04:25 AM
There's about 8 or 9 teams in the west that could finish ahead of Dallas :laugh:

I would like you to name these 8 or 9 teams

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Why is it delusional to think that the Rockets could finish ahead of Dallas or Portland when they were a higher playoff seed than those teams last season or LAC, who had only three more wins than them last year?

thank you for proving me right talking about you being delusional, you must be cause you're talking about last year, what last year has to do with this upcoming year???

Houston got weaker, lost parsons, lin, asik and only got ariza when portland got better on the bench and dallas got way better overall, and if LAC was already better than houston last year they will be way better than you this year cause they upgraded their bench too.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 04:34 AM
why not they're talented enough.

lol yeah they couldn't do it last year with parsons, lin, asik but they'll sure do it this year with only ariza and some scrubs on their bench, so logic

He always was. Not living in the past. I pointed out he got slower. What you all don't notice is his role changed as well. When he put his mind to it and healthy he was darn close to the same player. Laker Fans needed a whipping boy and Pau was the easy target not being a physical player. I think that affected him and created a somewhat faults image. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWNzNFSNgU he was good enough to win 2 titles then he became the softest player in the world.

the answer is cause he declined, and it will only get worse as time past

ldawg
08-25-2014, 06:43 AM
There's about 8 or 9 teams in the west that could finish ahead of Dallas :laugh:wrong

ldawg
08-25-2014, 06:51 AM
lol yeah they couldn't do it last year with parsons, lin, asik but they'll sure do it this year with only ariza and some scrubs on their bench, so logic

the answer is cause he declined, and it will only get worse as time pastyes he did his pay now reflects that. Kobe had the biggest decline which impact the overall team. Both Pau and Kobe still got their point but how? Pau went from 2nd option to 3rd from center to pf it was all about Bynum.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 08:37 AM
I would like you to name these 8 or 9 teams

Oklahoma, San Antonio, Clippers, Portland, Houston, Golden State, Memphis and Phoenix could all end up higher than Dallas. I'll even throw in New Orleans at this point.

People are overrating the Mavs, Tyson isn't the same player he was last time he was in Dallas, Dirk isn't getting any younger and their line up is TERRIBLE defensively. Easily the worst out of all the "potential playoff teams" in the West. They'll be giving up all star numbers every other night and they lack the fire power to match it.

The Mavs could finish higher than some of those teams but it's far from a guarantee. The west is just too difficult to know for sure. From seed 4 through 9 you could put teams in any order you want and would have a decent argument.

I don't understand the Dallas hype. What have they done aside from downgrade massively at the point, add a decent role player in Parsons and bring back Chandler who is on the wrong side of his peak?

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Oklahoma, San Antonio, Clippers, Portland, Houston, Golden State, Memphis and Phoenix could all end up higher than Dallas. I'll even throw in New Orleans at this point.

People are overrating the Mavs, Tyson isn't the same player he was last time he was in Dallas, Dirk isn't getting any younger and their line up is TERRIBLE defensively. Easily the worst out of all the "potential playoff teams" in the West. They'll be giving up all star numbers every other night and they lack the fire power to match it.

The Mavs could finish higher than some of those teams but it's far from a guarantee. The west is just too difficult to know for sure. From seed 4 through 9 you could put teams in any order you want and would have a decent argument.

I don't understand the Dallas hype. What have they done aside from downgrade massively at the point, add a decent role player in Parsons and bring back Chandler who is on the wrong side of his peak?

these teams will not be better than dallas, maybe memphis has a slim chance but that's it

lol for parsons, hating at his finest, 16.6pts/5.5rbs/4.0asts per game at 25 and improving every year is a little more than a decent role player

Goose17
08-25-2014, 09:09 AM
these teams will not be better than dallas,

Why?

Please provide the factual evidence to support such claim. I would like to know how you could possibly know that.

Are you new to the Western Conference? Do you not realise how insanely deep it is?

The gap between Phoenix and Dallas last season was one win. Are you telling me that adding Chandler and Parsons while losing Calderon now makes them VASTLY superior and clearly the better team?

You're being foolish... are you a Dallas fan btw? Just wondering, because that would explain a lot.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 09:13 AM
lol for parsons, hating at his finest, 16.6pts/5.5rbs/4.0asts per game at 25 and improving every year is a little more than a decent role player

No hate here, I like Parsons game. I just don't see why adding him has made Dallas this incredible juggernaut of a team that is going to steam roll it's way into a top 4 seeding. Especially considering he's a garbage defender and when only one guy in your starting 5 can hold his own defensively, you're in trouble, especially out West.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Why?

Please provide the factual evidence to support such claim. I would like to know how you could possibly know that.

Are you new to the Western Conference? Do you not realise how insanely deep it is?

The gap between Phoenix and Dallas last season was one win. Are you telling me that adding Chandler and Parsons while losing Calderon now makes them VASTLY superior and clearly the better team?

You're being foolish... are you a Dallas fan btw? Just wondering, because that would explain a lot.

lol no I'm not, I'm a Lakers fan.

Once again dallas got better and deeper, like it or not, parsons, nelson/felton and chandler are better overall than calderon who can't defend to save his life, marion and dalembert

not talking about aminu who is a steal, even if they got just slightly better, they got better while golden state didn't except if you consider that steve kerr who never coached before is the next phil jackson, memphis and phoenix didn't as well.

Is that hard to get? Or are you blinded by your hate? You have the right to disagree, but stop prentending you don't understand why.

No hate here, I like Parsons game. I just don't see why adding him has made Dallas this incredible juggernaut of a team that is going to steam roll it's way into a top 4 seeding. Especially considering he's a garbage defender and when only one guy in your starting 5 can hold his own defensively, you're in trouble, especially out West.

You're contradicting yourself, you said there was only one win here and there to separate western teams, so if dallas go slightly better and others teams not or even downgrading, this is logic that dallas could get up to the top 4 spots.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
No that is not the logic. That's not logic at all. How much better are Dallas? Really? Calderón is one of the most efficient play makers in the league, they've swapped him for Felton who is a fat lump of vaginal discharge that spawned limbs and learned how to bounce a ball.

Tyson at this point is on his way down. He's about to enter his twilight years. Still a good signing. But not guaranteed top 4 seed signing.

Parsons is a solid third option on offense but he can't defend for crap. He's as bad a defender at the SF as Calderón is/was at the point.

Have Dallas improved? On offense sure, marginally. Defensively? No. They've gotten worse.

They're a potential playoff team and could be a 5th seed if everything goes well but they could just as easily be the 9th seed. There's no way of knowing for sure.

People are too high on Dallas imo. And it doesn't make much sense to me. It's like Tyson went back and people are having flash backs of the championship year. This isn't the same team, at all.

Shady66
08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Reasons why they will miss the playoffs:
Other than Kobe who is a question mark, they are utter crap

That is all

Kobe24MVP
08-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Reasons why they will miss the playoffs:
Other than Kobe who is a question mark, they are utter crap

That is all

Thank you sir, for your exceptional, in depth analysis. I cannot believe I have never even thought of this as an actual reason why the Lakers won't make the playoffs. You sir, have added so much to this conversation. I commened you for your well thought out reply to this thread.

But in all seriousness, this is he worst post I think I have ever read on PSD. Bring facts and reasoning, or don't bring anything at all.

Kobe24MVP
08-25-2014, 10:59 AM
What roster improvements? The Lakers get Kobe back, they added Jeremy Lin and they got noticeably worse at PF by swapping Gasol for Boozer. What the hell else did they do this offseason that's so noteworthy in terms of roster changes? You keep talking about roster improvements, but aside from getting Kobe back, I completely fail to see where actual improvements were made.

Have you never heard of one Julius Randle? Not saying he will get us even close to the playoffs but he is a major PF upgrade IMO.

Shady66
08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Thank you sir, for your exceptional, in depth analysis. I cannot believe I have never even thought of this as an actual reason why the Lakers won't make the playoffs. You sir, have added so much to this conversation. I commened you for your well thought out reply to this thread.

But in all seriousness, this is he worst post I think I have ever read on PSD. Bring facts and reasoning, or don't bring anything at all.
I figure at this point everything has been said. Also Kobe's old.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 12:46 PM
No that is not the logic. That's not logic at all. How much better are Dallas? Really? Calderón is one of the most efficient play makers in the league, they've swapped him for Felton who is a fat lump of vaginal discharge that spawned limbs and learned how to bounce a ball.

Tyson at this point is on his way down. He's about to enter his twilight years. Still a good signing. But not guaranteed top 4 seed signing.

Parsons is a solid third option on offense but he can't defend for crap. He's as bad a defender at the SF as Calderón is/was at the point.

Have Dallas improved? On offense sure, marginally. Defensively? No. They've gotten worse.

They're a potential playoff team and could be a 5th seed if everything goes well but they could just as easily be the 9th seed. There's no way of knowing for sure.

People are too high on Dallas imo. And it doesn't make much sense to me. It's like Tyson went back and people are having flash backs of the championship year. This isn't the same team, at all.

Loool calderon one of the most efficient playmaker of the league! Thank you for the laugh

After that, I know we'll never agree

We'll find out who was right soon enough, but I don't think it'll be the one who said that joke above :rolleyes:

Goose17
08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Loool calderon one of the most efficient playmaker of the league! Thank you for the laugh

Have you watched him play? He's an exceptional play maker.

In fact, forget the eye test, go straight to the numbers, he led the league in AST:TO ratio for years. And he scores very efficiently as well. Dude was ludicrously underrated when he was in Toronto.

Even last year, the only starting point guard in the entire league that had a better AST/TO ratio was CP3. Go back to his Toronto years, one year he was only like 12 free throws away (I think?) from joining the 50-40-90 club. In 2008 and 2009 he was the best point guard in the league in AST:TO ratio, between 2007 and 2011 the only person who beat him in AST:TO was CP3.

Anyone who can't see how great a play maker he was isn't worth my time, get to know the sport.

Goose17
08-25-2014, 02:00 PM
And you're a fool if you think Mavs are a lock for any seed. Nobody in the West is, only thing we know for sure, OKC and SAS are in the top 4. That's it.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Have you watched him play? He's an exceptional play maker.

In fact, forget the eye test, go straight to the numbers, he led the league in AST:TO ratio for years. And he scores very efficiently as well. Dude was ludicrously underrated when he was in Toronto.

Even last year, the only starting point guard in the entire league that had a better AST/TO ratio was CP3. Go back to his Toronto years, one year he was only like 12 free throws away (I think?) from joining the 50-40-90 club. In 2008 and 2009 he was the best point guard in the league in AST:TO ratio, between 2007 and 2011 the only person who beat him in AST:TO was CP3.

Anyone who can't see how great a play maker he was isn't worth my time, get to know the sport.

Anyone who says calderon is one of the best playmaker of the league isn't worth the time of any poster in this forum

bucketss
08-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Have you never heard of one Julius Randle? Not saying he will get us even close to the playoffs but he is a major PF upgrade IMO.

randle is an upgrade over gasol.?

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 05:17 PM
randle is an upgrade over gasol.?

Randle/Boozer is an upgrade over an already declined gasol

Crackadalic
08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Anyone who says calderon is one of the best playmaker of the league isn't worth the time of any poster in this forum

He meant as efficient as you can get as a playmaker and for someone who doesn't turn the ball over and his assist % is pretty damn high

His defense still sucks though

LakersEaglesLA
08-25-2014, 06:09 PM
yes he did his pay now reflects that. Kobe had the biggest decline which impact the overall team. Both Pau and Kobe still got their point but how? Pau went from 2nd option to 3rd from center to pf it was all about Bynum.

How the hell did Kobe have the biggest decline and he hasnt play yet smh rediculous statement

5ass
08-25-2014, 06:10 PM

No. Check the facts, you're wrong.

Iron24th
08-25-2014, 06:13 PM
No. Check the facts, you're wrong.

No I'm not

mightybosstone
08-25-2014, 08:36 PM
No I'm not

Say what you will about Calderon, but he's 29th in career APG, 9th in career ORtg, 15th in AST% and 83rd in career total assists. For a guy who's only been in the league eight years and has missed significant time due to injury, that's impressive. No matter how you cut it, the guy is a great offensive player.

5ass
08-25-2014, 11:05 PM
No I'm not

Fine, stay ignorant.

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Say what you will about Calderon, but he's 29th in career APG, 9th in career ORtg, 15th in AST% and 83rd in career total assists. For a guy who's only been in the league eight years and has missed significant time due to injury, that's impressive. No matter how you cut it, the guy is a great offensive player.

Exactly a great offensive player, a one dimensional player, not one of the best playmaker of the league

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Fine, stay ignorant.

Ignorants like you seem to be happy, so yes I will

bucketss
08-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Exactly a great offensive player, a one dimensional player, not one of the best playmaker of the league

if he can score and distribute well than that doesn't make him one dimensional. also he has a pretty good assist to turnover ratio.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 12:17 AM

Umm.... What? I just explained that the guy is highly rated among pretty much any statistical category related to assists and you admit to him being a great offensive player. Then you follow that up by saying he's not a great playmaker. How does that make sense?

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Umm.... What? I just explained that the guy is highly rated among pretty much any statistical category related to assists and you admit to him being a great offensive player. Then you follow that up by saying he's not a great playmaker. How does that make sense?

Just not one of the best of the league, is that hard to get?

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Just not one of the best of the league, is that hard to get?

To me, this is just a question of semantics. What exactly qualifies a player for "one of the best" at something? Top 10? Top 5? Calderon did post the lowest AST% of his career last season, but I'm not sure if that's an anomaly or the product of playing in a totally different system where he didn't have the ball in his hands that often. But six of the previous season seasons Calderon was in the top 7 in the league in AST%. You could make a pretty strong argument that he's one of the best playmakers in the league depending on what you mean by "playmaker" and "one of the best."

Vinny642
08-26-2014, 02:30 AM
This last page tho... I am literally so lost

FriedTofuz
08-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Calderon is a good player, he's a very good pg. if only he could at least play average defense..

5ass
08-26-2014, 02:59 AM
Is boozer really going to start at sf or was that a joke?

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Is boozer really going to start at sf or was that a joke?

Is boozer starting at SF seems realistic to you?

RollingWave
08-26-2014, 04:06 AM
I won't rule out the Laker's possibility to surprise, but it's a long shot at best.

I do suspect they'll be a little better than most of the projection system pegging them though, assuming of course, average health.

Most projection will probably end up pegging them in the low 30s or worse, I could see them topping that, it is true that they actually have a surprisingly veteran roster, most of their "young" guys aren't that young at all, but all guys who's at least 5 year in the league or more. and they're a team that's very unlikely to have any locker room issue. They have a group of guys in contract years hitting what should be around the prime for NBA players. That is a reason why they might surprise a bit, at least, depending on what your expectation is.

I suspect if they're mostly healthy they could push over 35 win, which is already pretty big given the relative expectation so far.

They need to run a relatively odd lineup though, I suspect their best lineup will end up being Davis / Randle / Kelly / Kobe / Lin, if they run that lineup a lot they might be pretty decent. if they run a lot of Boozer / Wes Johnson they're probably screwed.

Defensively I think they should be a little bit better, Scott at least have some semblance of a defensive scheme and that they have more experience (and not broken down, Kobe pending) players around should help.

Lin's defensive numbers actually showed up very well last year amusingly, so assuming the gets most of the time at the 1 they should at least improve in that spot tremendously, granted, all their other spots are potential disaster in the making on an individual basis at least, but sometimes good scheme and experienced enough players can at least prop up the floor of a defense to a considerable degree, although probably not the ceiling.

But the biggest problem remains their conference, if they were in the East I probably give them a 35% chance of making the playoff, but in the West that's more like a 3.5% chance.

DitchDat
08-26-2014, 04:20 AM
How about no. They could potentially be fun to watch, but there's just too many holes on that team.

Munkeysuit
08-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Reasons:

Its all love my brotha but, the Lakers do not have ANY chance at a playoff birth...I don't even have to explain myself because its an argument that needs no validation, a 10 year old would predict the same, it's just that easy to see.

ewing
08-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Calderon is one of the best play makers in the league.

Goose17
08-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Calderon is one of the best play makers in the league.

Before he became a Knick? lol

Goose17
08-26-2014, 07:57 AM
Lol does it make any difference?

Clearly you don't understand the difference. You're pretty much forfeiting here and admitting you can't prove otherwise so I guess we'll leave it at that.

ewing
08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Before he became a Knick? lol

you are right. he will probably suck on offense now too.

mightybosstone
08-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Can we quit the bickering and stay on track here. How did this become a Jose Calderon argument in the first place? This is a Lakers thread. :confused:

Nycbball08
08-26-2014, 09:30 AM

Do you even know what playmaker means?

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Can we quit the bickering and stay on track here. How did this become a Jose Calderon argument in the first place? This is a Lakers thread. :confusing:

It seems the knicks fan wants to keep talking calderon...

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 11:56 AM
They corrected my grammar not my ability to speak it. Fair play though.

Calderon is still one of the most efficient play makers in the league, sorry bro, the facts prove you wrong. :)

I'll let it get back on topic now, feel free to respond, I figure you're the type that needs to get the last word, I won't be replying though, sorry mate.

Are knicks fans counting?

Whatever no hard feelings dude, it was cool.

ManRam
08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Do you even know what playmaker means?

I tend to think it refers to players who can create dynamic plays for both himself and others. I consider Jose a very good passer, especially because he's pass-first, but a "playmaker"? I don't know. I tend to reserve that for far more dynamic players.

I'd feel more comfortable just saying he's a good and willing passer.

Also, why the hell are we talking about Calderon?

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:09 PM
I tend to think it refers to players who can create dynamic plays for both himself and others. I consider Jose a very good passer, especially because he's pass-first, but a "playmaker"? I don't know. I tend to reserve that for far more dynamic players.

Lol it's a long story...we better move on...

Chronz
08-26-2014, 12:14 PM

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?744442-What-is-the-most-important-aspect-of-passing

Calderon is definitely a facilitator.

2-ONE-5
08-26-2014, 12:15 PM
when i saw the title "reasons why the Lakers make the playoffs" i thought it would be followed by a LOL there are none. but then the OP takes it 10 steps further and says they will in 50?!?!!?!?

Iron24th
08-26-2014, 12:21 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?744442-What-is-the-most-important-aspect-of-passing

Calderon is definitely a facilitator.

Not according to some posters in this thread.

Chronz
08-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Not according to some posters in this thread.

Sometimes its just semantics tho. Depends on how you guys define NBA terminology