PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer Going Berserk At Rally. What Kind Of Owner Do You Expect Him To Be?

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking he may be a Mark Cuban on steroids type of owner. With much, much, much deeper pockets. Insanely passionate and outspoken. He said he will be court side every game. At the rally today he kept repeating that all he wants is MULTIPLE championships and will not stop providing resources to make sure that goal is accomplished.

http://instagram.com/p/r2jjTdhQFx/

http://www.foxsports.com/west/video/watch-steve-ballmers-intense-introduction-as-new-clippers-owner-081814?vid=319243844001

Full Ballmer speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U10FUI7W78

SPURSFAN1
08-18-2014, 07:15 PM
hahahaah love his enthusiasm.

Goose17
08-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah he'll be the greatest ever and will perfect your already perfect team. I bet you ten-peat next season. Yep. In one season.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
"We're going to be bold. Bold means taking chances," he said. "We're going to be optimistic. We're going to be hard-core. Nothing gets in our way, boom! The hard-core Clippers, that's us."

"I'll boldly say the Clippers will win many, many more Larrys in the next 26 years than they did in the last 26," he said, referring to the Larry O'Brien trophy that goes to the NBA champion.

"I love Los Angeles," he said. "Yes, I live in Seattle. We're not moving the Clippers to Seattle for a hundred reasons."

Some key quotes.

Goose17
08-18-2014, 07:19 PM
So... The seattle clippers coming soon?

SPURSFAN1
08-18-2014, 07:22 PM
So... The seattle clippers coming soon?

He just said no. :clap:

Goose17
08-18-2014, 07:24 PM
He just said no. :clap:

I was implying owners say **** all the time to make gullible fans cheer like idiots. Business comes first for all of these guys. Every single one.

It wouldn't be the first time an owner had lied about something.

But no, let's take everything he says as gospel. That's the logical thing to do.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Ballmer: "No.. we are NOT moving the Clippers. For 100 different reasons. But I'm going to love beating the old Seattle team (OKC) in the first game of the year". LOL.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I was implying owners say **** all the time to make gullible fans cheer like idiots. Business comes first for all of these guys. Every single one.

But no, let's take everything he says as gospel. That's the logical thing to do.

Sure.. owners/front office execs lie, but if business comes first it would be incredibly STUPID to move a popular LA team that has sold out 150 straight games, has two of the top ten selling jerseys to freaking SEATTLE... you're crazy man.

Goose17
08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Sure.. owners/front office execs lie, but if business comes first it would be incredibly STUPID to move a popular LA team that has sold out 150 straight games, has two of the top ten selling jerseys to freaking SEATTLE... you're crazy man.

Agree to disagree I'm afraid.

jaydubb
08-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I like this guy.. Haha lakers need to fix their disaster ownership next.. :clap:

Cracka2HI!
08-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Agree to disagree I'm afraid.

If you disagree that Balmer is not moving the team I'm afraid you would be a terrible business man. Luckily for Clippers fans Balmer clearly is not!

Goose17
08-18-2014, 07:48 PM
If you disagree that Balmer is not moving the team I'm afraid you would be a terrible business man. Luckily for Clippers fans Balmer clearly is not!

Not saying he will. Never did. Disagreeing with the prospect of making more money as the second team in LA, fourth in Cali. Versus the only team in the basketball starved market of seattle.

Also. He might move it. Some day. No way of knowing for sure. I don't trust owners as much as some do obviously. But hey, I try to think with my head not my heart.

goingfor28
08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself

Cracka2HI!
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Not saying he will. Never did. Disagreeing with the prospect of making more money as the second team in LA, fourth in Cali. Versus the only team in the basketball starved market of seattle.

Also. He might move it. Some day. No way of knowing for sure. I don't trust owners as much as some do obviously. But hey, I try to think with my head not my heart.

Well I'll never say never. Maybe in 110 years Seattle will be better market and Balmer will still be alive in some kind of Darth Vader suit. As for the 2nd team in LA/4th team in Cali thing. The Clippers are their own entity. The other 3 teams have no bearing on their value. He paid $2 billion for the name Los Angeles, not Clippers. The name Seattle is probably worth $500 mil. It's simple math really.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I heard some of it on the radio and I kind of cringed with embarrassment for the guy. If Jim Buss came out with a press conference for himself and came out screaming like an idiot people would boo him off the stage.

Has an owner in any sport ever had a pep rally to announce he is the owner?

Cal827
08-18-2014, 10:22 PM
I expect him to openly pay off the referees at Clipper Games.... and then when Silver tells him he can't do that, he'll re-sell them to Donald Sterling.

Honestly, I'm just glad to hear this for Clipper fans. A guy who actually seems interested in a winning team.

ohreally
08-18-2014, 10:23 PM
I expect he will be as over the top as he was at Microsoft, and as free with his money as he was with Microsoft's. But he didn't exactly do a bang-up job at MS, at least not in the good sense.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 10:33 PM
I heard some of it on the radio and I kind of cringed with embarrassment for the guy. If Jim Buss came out with a press conference for himself and came out screaming like an idiot people would boo him off the stage.

Eh.. I don't see why he'd be embarrassed. He's excited as hell to turn the Clippers into champions and I'm glad he has that level of enthusiasm. Remember Clippers are coming from an owner who didn't give a sh** what happened to players, fans, coaches, staff, success of team etc. PS he didn't schedule the rally or come up with the idea, Doc did.

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 10:35 PM
I expect he will be as over the top as he was at Microsoft, and as free with his money as he was with Microsoft's. But he didn't exactly do a bang-up job at MS, at least not in the good sense.

True... but in this case he bought a product on the rise and is going to be in more of a superfan role+signing checks. Not going to be running things. In fact today he said it himself. He said that he's just there to support the real professionals like Doc and the players and let them do their jobs.

Crackadalic
08-18-2014, 10:36 PM
lmao wow love this guy already

Clippersfan86
08-18-2014, 11:04 PM
http://instagram.com/p/r3TSP7J8hZ/

Lol more.

Ariza's Better
08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Mark Cuban on cocaine

Pakman
08-18-2014, 11:38 PM
The way he's speaking so confidently you'd think he inherited the 2012 Miami heat not the annual 2nd round exit clippers.

koreancabbage
08-18-2014, 11:40 PM
he'll be alright, until the Clips get knocked out of the playoffs again this year =P

jimm120
08-18-2014, 11:50 PM
"developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers "

-Steve Ballmer

now its...

"Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships Multiple Championships "

He'll go out and be passionate every once in a while.

Unfortunately, the NBA isn't about how's willing to spend money, cause the salary cap stops that.

jimm120
08-18-2014, 11:51 PM

Is it to announce that he's the owner or is it to show the City and its fans that the Clippers have bright future and about what he expects from the team?

J4KOP99
08-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Howard dean

Cracka2HI!
08-19-2014, 12:15 AM
There really hasn't been a more exciting time to be a Clipper fan. I watched his whole speech and he is going to be a amazing owner! I don't think he'll get in the way at all. He's a filthy rich super fan who bought a team. Every fan would be lucky enough to have an owner like this. Imagine what it feels like for Clipper fans! One thing that stood out is he called the team the Clippers A LOT. I don't think he's changing the name.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2014, 12:28 AM
He'll be there for the first fe games then we won't see him for a while.

Mr.B
08-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah he'll be the greatest ever and will perfect your already perfect team. I bet you ten-peat next season. Yep. In one season.
Hahaha! Ten-peat in one season.

Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4... Wait didn't we hear someone say something like that before?

In all seriousness though, I think he'll be good for the Clippers and good for the NBA. The league needs more energetic owners. Hopefully he'll bring some good ideas that will help improve the league.

GunFactor187
08-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Ahhh...nice to know some things don't change....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

Method28
08-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Excited to have an owner that cares about something other than the bottom line.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Eh.. I don't see why he'd be embarrassed. He's excited as hell to turn the Clippers into champions and I'm glad he has that level of enthusiasm. Remember Clippers are coming from an owner who didn't give a sh** what happened to players, fans, coaches, staff, success of team etc. PS he didn't schedule the rally or come up with the idea, Doc did.

If Doc scheduled it I guess its better. But I still ask why? They should have had the meeting in a smaller venue. It looked way too empty. They should have done without the music and the entrance like if he's a WWE character. He could have took questions and answered them like a normal person and speak with passion. Yelling and screaming does not imply passion to me. Its more like a plea for attention.

Even though that owner didn't give a poo for two decades, they seemed to be heading in the right direction the past 3 or 4 years. I could understand being super excited if he took over the team 10 years ago when they where in the dumps. But now there is not really much he can do to improve he team. If here was no salary cap ( I wish) then he could really do some damage.

About the embarrassing part, I wonder if he knows people are laughing at him and not with him. Its like a Howard Dean type of train wreck that people enjoy to see. Not because its inspiring, but because its a fat bald man yelling and screaming like a crazy person when you expect someone in his positions to be buttoned up and boring.

There is always a honeymoon period. Screaming may seem cute to some people now, but the first bad move or two, that screaming will be seen as a detriment and one of the reasons why he might be able to get the job done.

*Superman*
08-19-2014, 01:16 AM

:laugh:

Seems like he just did a line in the back.

SPURSFAN1
08-19-2014, 01:41 AM

:laugh::worthy:

Leach11
08-19-2014, 02:20 AM
If Doc scheduled it I guess its better. But I still ask why? They should have had the meeting in a smaller venue. It looked way too empty. They should have done without the music and the entrance like if he's a WWE character. He could have took questions and answered them like a normal person and speak with passion. Yelling and screaming does not imply passion to me. Its more like a plea for attention.

Even though that owner didn't give a poo for two decades, they seemed to be heading in the right direction the past 3 or 4 years. I could understand being super excited if he took over the team 10 years ago when they where in the dumps. But now there is not really much he can do to improve he team. If here was no salary cap ( I wish) then he could really do some damage.

About the embarrassing part, I wonder if he knows people are laughing at him and not with him. Its like a Howard Dean type of train wreck that people enjoy to see. Not because its inspiring, but because its a fat bald man yelling and screaming like a crazy person when you expect someone in his positions to be buttoned up and boring.

There is always a honeymoon period. Screaming may seem cute to some people now, but the first bad move or two, that screaming will be seen as a detriment and one of the reasons why he might be able to get the job done.

The guy is worth over $20 billion. I highly doubt he cares.

Also, Steve Balmer is well known for this stuff and people love him for it.

KINGOFSPORTS
08-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Balmer did a speech like this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0YjSIkfkbU

FraziersKnicks
08-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Ebbs
08-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Lol love the hype. And that comment ^.

torocan
08-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Ballmer just outbid his nearest competitor by $400M to buy the Clippers. He also has a reputation for being very enthusiastic and an "in your face" kind of marketer. Toss in that he's worth $20Bn and you have the makings of a very visible, very passionate, owner with the deepest pockets in the NBA.

More importantly, he's basically said that he's going to leave all the basketball decisions to the basketball people and just try to support them any way he can.

In total, this bodes well for the future of the Clippers. An owner that cares more about winning championships than making a profit (though no doubt he'll do okay) who has more resources than just about anyone else in the NBA with a LA team is potentially a very dangerous combination.

Does anyone see Ballmer NOT being willing to pay top dollar for the best support staff? The best training? The best coaching? Or even going into the luxury tax?

There's no telling whether he'll be a top flight owner, but from the outside it definitely looks like he'll be at least a decent to good owner. And after having Donald Sterling for the last 2 decades, if you're a Clippers fan this must feel just short of the 2nd coming...

Mr.B
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Seems like he just did a line in the back.
Just one?

Minimal
08-19-2014, 12:06 PM
A couple of years will pass and when Lakers will become relevant again, and Clippers irrelevant, they'll move the team to Seattle and it doesn't matter what he said

ThuglifeJ
08-19-2014, 12:13 PM
While clippersfan is quite annoying with his fandom, and clips are still a joke in my eyes considering their history.. This dude is great. First raptors new guy, now this guy.. About time we get some more enthusiastic owners like Cuban around

Chronz
08-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Well I'll never say never. Maybe in 110 years Seattle will be better market and Balmer will still be alive in some kind of Darth Vader suit. As for the 2nd team in LA/4th team in Cali thing. The Clippers are their own entity. The other 3 teams have no bearing on their value. He paid $2 billion for the name Los Angeles, not Clippers. The name Seattle is probably worth $500 mil. It's simple math really.

He said it himself, he bought LA beach front property, NOT Seattle property.

Mr.B
08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
He said it himself, he bought LA beach front property, NOT Seattle property.

I have a feeling if he wants Seattle beach front property he could pretty much buy it whenever he wanted.

kingjaymes23
08-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I know some are comparing him to Chris Farley, but does he not sound like Coach Hines from MadTV?

kingjaymes23
08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
The guy is worth over $20 billion. I highly doubt he cares.

Also, Steve Balmer is well known for this stuff and people love him for it.

Exactly. I doubt he cares what some people think about him. He has a very motivating personality. I love what he did and think there are a lot of people that agree with me.

Goose17
08-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Considering he's known for taking so much coke and pcp I'm thinking he's going to be the Charlie Sheen of the NBA world, I can't wait, this should be entertaining.

Confusious
08-19-2014, 12:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/utUCxeb.png

DeAndre: "Yo how much do you think that shirt is worth dawg?"
Griffin: "Man I'm high as **** I see monkeys giving elephants blowjobs on the ceiling!"
Paul: Very politely trying to conceal his terror.

sixers247
08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
At least we know comedy is not in your future....

Cracka2HI!
08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
It makes me happy that Laker and Warrior fans think he's an embarrassment as an owner.

MonroeFAN
08-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Gotta give it up to LA for having some hot *** asian girls. Unless she's not asian and is a family member which would make sense.

She also could be 16.

Nothing to see here.

lakerboy
08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
It makes me happy that Laker and Warrior fans think he's an embarrassment as an owner.

I worked for tech and this guy became such a loser in Microsoft when he took over. He has poor management skills, look what he did to that dud Nokia deal, and this silly $2B purchase

The Clippers is a joke, and will be like the Internet Explorer "game changer" Ballmer promised when he was Microsoft's CEO. Way past his prime.

MonroeFAN
08-19-2014, 06:09 PM
You worked for tech? What does that mean exactly?

Leach11
08-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Considering he's known for taking so much coke and pcp I'm thinking he's going to be the Charlie Sheen of the NBA world, I can't wait, this should be entertaining.

Source?

lakerboy
08-19-2014, 06:16 PM
It means in the industry, everybody knows this guy destroyed Microsoft.

Ballmer overpaid for Nokia and MS lost $18B because of it. Just this year MS announced a 5-10% cut in their workforce because of him.

1. He is the guy who builds Internet Explorer browsers

2. Same guy who makes Xbox consoles that cost more than it sells

3. Drove Bill Gates to retirement

4. He is the reason why MS is not on mobile phones. He ignored it completely

5. MS stock even went up when he announced his retirement

He joined early, got tons of stock and thats how he became a billionaire. People are acting like he'll be a super owner. That's ridiculous. He'll be even worse than the other Microsoft billionaire, Paul Allen (Blazers).

This man has extremely poor management skills. Just look at his tenure in Microsoft, nothing but failures.

Good luck LAC

Clippersfan86
08-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Yes... because poor business decisions late in his career= indication of how he will be as a sports owner LMAO. Nevermind that he's admitted he is NOT going to be making basketball decisions. He said it himself.. he's just there to write the checks and be a huge fan. He promised to let Doc and the front office run the basketball side of things. Stop making something so obviously hugely positive into a negative because it fits your narrative.

Cracka2HI!
08-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Ballmer overpaid for Nokia and MS lost $18B because of it. Just this year MS announced a 5-10% cut in their workforce because of him.

He joined early, got tons of stock and thats how he became a billionaire. People are acting like he'll be a super owner. That's ridiculous. He'll be even worse than the other Microsoft billionaire, Paul Allen (Blazers).

This man has extremely poor management skills. Just look at his tenure in Microsoft, nothing but failures.

Good luck LAC

The Clippers literally just had the worst owner in sports history for 30 years. We'll be fine with Balmer and I don't care what some dude that used to work at Best Buy has to say about it!

goingfor28
08-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I worked for tech and this guy became such a loser in Microsoft when he took over. He has poor management skills, look what he did to that dud Nokia deal, and this silly $2B purchase

The Clippers is a joke, and will be like the Internet Explorer "game changer" Ballmer promised when he was Microsoft's CEO. Way past his prime.
Yes. What a loser with his billions on billions on billions. Clearly, he is losing.

KB24PG16
08-20-2014, 12:05 AM
the best owners are the ones that stay out of the papers

hugepatsfan
08-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Hopefully not a racist one.

SPURSFAN1
08-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Our owner just lets the basketball heads work without interference.

JustinTime
08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
The Clippers literally just had the worst owner in sports history for 30 years. We'll be fine with Balmer and I don't care what some dude that used to work at Best Buy has to say about it!

Naw you got nothing on the Vancouver Grizzles Owner.

kylem4711
08-20-2014, 12:19 AM
how weird, laker fans are hating on anything clipper related?

EVERY clipper fan is pumped. We just went from a scum of the earth owner to an enthusiastic owner that is worth 20 billion dollars. Here's to hoping he buys the kings, nokia live, and the staples center.

Cracka2HI!
08-20-2014, 12:42 AM
how weird, laker fans are hating on anything clipper related?

EVERY clipper fan is pumped. We just went from a scum of the earth owner to an enthusiastic owner that is worth 20 billion dollars. Here's to hoping he buys the kings, nokia live, and the staples center.

Some don't seem to realize him buying the Staples Center is a lot more likely than him moving the team to Seattle.

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2014, 01:27 AM
He resigned as chairman of the board of directors of Microsoft, partially to focus on being owner of the Clippers. He's still the biggest single shareholder in the company, but that's some dedication to your new job.

Goose17
08-20-2014, 03:10 AM
Source?

Seriously?

Goose17
08-20-2014, 03:11 AM

Point out a warriors fan that said he was an embarrassment as an owner?

Munkeysuit
08-20-2014, 04:25 AM
I think thats an awesome show of enthusiasm by Mr. Ballmer and wish him nothing but the best with his new found investment. I just cannot wait to see the talented West teams duke it out come playoff time, Clippers vs Warriors is turning out to be one hell of a rivalry and I am so happy for the NBA right now.

Clippersfan86
08-20-2014, 04:44 AM
He resigned as chairman of the board of directors of Microsoft, partially to focus on being owner of the Clippers. He's still the biggest single shareholder in the company, but that's some dedication to your new job.

Was awesome news to wake up to!

CityofTreez
08-20-2014, 04:53 AM
Even though we are rivals, I'm happy for the Clippers/fans.
When we ridded ourselves of the Maloofs for Vivek, it was a great day!

But, not a fan of Ballmer. When Hansen/Maloofs tried to ship the Kings to Seattle, Ballmer was dumb enough to partner up with that dimwit Hansen. I don't dislike him to the level of Hansen, but now he's a rival owner strapped with tons of cash.

KINGOFSPORTS
08-20-2014, 04:53 AM
wonder how long he'll last in the NBA

torocan
08-20-2014, 08:42 AM
wonder how long he'll last in the NBA

With $20Bn? As long as he wants to stay around assuming he doesn't pull a Sterling and go on a KKK style rant.

Folks need to understand what having $20Bn really means as an owner. Prokhorov lost more money in a single year owning the Nets than any other owner in NBA history, and he still only lost $144M. If Ballmer turned all his wealth into cash, stuffed it into a giant vault and lost $144M per year, he'd go broke somewhere around the year 2152.

$20Bn means that Ballmer could walk on the Staples center lease, pay the fine, build a completely new stadium, and STILL have enough cash to run the team well into the 23rd century.

$20Bn means that Ballmer could buy the Staples center and evict the Lakers on a dare.

$20Bn means that Ballmer could literally pay every Staples center employee $1m per year... for the next 10+ years.

Steve Ballmer isn't just rich, or mega rich, he's one of the wealthiest men on Planet Earth... and unlike most of the other team owners in the NBA, this is his ONLY full time gig at the moment.

If the guy is really serious about going all out to win a championship, the only thing that will slow him down in the slightest is the salary cap. The Luxury tax sure isn't enough to hurt him. And if he doesn't mind overpaying talent, there's no reason that he couldn't build one of the best support staffs in the NBA.

kingjaymes23
08-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Where has it been reported that he takes coke and pcp? That's really not a funny thing to joke about.

kingjaymes23
08-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Good luck LAC

Yeah Allen is such a terrible owner. SMH.

Does it count that Microsoft's stock price doubled from the low point during the recession to the point where Ballmer announced his retirement then?

kingjaymes23
08-20-2014, 11:18 AM

LMAO he said you worked at Best Buy.

Stinkyoutsider
08-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Owners like this are great for the league. When your owner is willing to give you tons of resources, it makes the fans very happy.

I'm glad at least a few owners who realize that us fans don't care about spreadsheets, balance statements, and board meetings. We just want them to give all the resources they can to the club so the team can win.

Goose17
08-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Where has it been reported that he takes coke and pcp? That's really not a funny thing to joke about.

Anyone who has followed Microsoft over the last few years is aware of it. Never proven, commonly accepted as true though. (Sort of like these celebrities that you never hear about being junkies aside from random rumours, they get the benefit of the doubt then end up in the papers because they're in rehab or dead.)

Most of his public appearances, especially in big crowds, have been insane, to the point where the most logical explanation is that he's crazy or high. Seriously go watch some of them.

Jumping around and screaming like a monkey, screaming "I will crush you all!" when referring to Amazon and other rivals, crying during his leaving speech (normal enough) and then dancing to Michael Jackson and that song from Dirty Dancing and proceeding to talk about his love for Dirty Dancing during his leaving speech. Screaming (completely out of the blue, in the middle of a speech) into the microphone for about 20 seconds and then shouting "that was a five letter word" The "developers, developers, developers" rant. The list goes on... seriously, look back at his career. Guy is clearly on something, or he's legit crazy.

Either way it's hilariously entertaining and I can't wait to see what he gets up to in the league. As I said, the Charlie Sheen of the NBA.

kingjaymes23
08-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Anyone who has followed Microsoft over the last few years is aware of it. Never proven, commonly accepted as true though. (Sort of like these celebrities that you never hear about being junkies aside from random rumours, they get the benefit of the doubt then end up in the papers because they're in rehab or dead.)

Most of his public appearances, especially in big crowds, have been insane, to the point where the most logical explanation is that he's crazy or high. Seriously go watch some of them.

Jumping around and screaming like a monkey, screaming "I will crush you all!" when referring to Amazon and other rivals, crying during his leaving speech (normal enough) and then dancing to Michael Jackson and that song from Dirty Dancing and proceeding to talk about his love for Dirty Dancing during his leaving speech. Screaming (completely out of the blue, in the middle of a speech) into the microphone for about 20 seconds and then shouting "that was a five letter word" The "developers, developers, developers" rant. The list goes on... seriously, look back at his career. Guy is clearly on something, or he's legit crazy.

Either way it's hilariously entertaining and I can't wait to see what he gets up to in the league. As I said, the Charlie Sheen of the NBA.

Just because he had crazy speeches doesn't mean he was on drugs. I have seen people give crazy speeches and never questioned if they were high. That's just how some people think they can motivate people. Also, maybe he just really liked his job?

I guess I can understand where you are coming from. I just don't think that's enough to say he definitely used.

Goose17
08-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Just because he had crazy speeches doesn't mean he was on drugs. I have seen people give crazy speeches and never questioned if they were high. That's just how some people think they can motivate people. Also, maybe he just really liked his job?

I guess I can understand where you are coming from. I just don't think that's enough to say he definitely used.

There's so many rumours about it from so many sources and when I say crazy I mean clinically not like "dude that was crazy" but actual "oh ****. This guy is genuinely insane get me away from him right now"

Again. It's commonly accepted within those circles just never proven. Don't be surprised when he dies suddenly and it turns out to be an O.D or when he announces he's going into rehab then makes a really cliché inspiring book or something.

goingfor28
08-20-2014, 03:34 PM
LMAO he said you worked at Best Buy.

Don't see why that's so funny...BB as a company is actually doing great. Stocks way up from a couple years ago when the new CEO took over

Leach11
08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
There's so many rumours about it from so many sources and when I say crazy I mean clinically not like "dude that was crazy" but actual "oh ****. This guy is genuinely insane get me away from him right now"

Again. It's commonly accepted within those circles just never proven. Don't be surprised when he dies suddenly and it turns out to be an O.D or when he announces he's going into rehab then makes a really cliché inspiring book or something.

My brother works at Microsoft's headquarters and everything you've said is complete bs. These "rumors" you speak of are non-existent.

Goose17
08-20-2014, 04:57 PM
My brother works at Microsoft's headquarters and everything you've said is complete bs. These "rumors" you speak of are non-existent.

My brother is your brothers pimp and he says your brother is lying and P.S where the **** is diamond joes money?

Oh yeah that's right. We can both make **** up. Look at that.

Clippersfan86
08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
My brother is your brothers pimp and he says your brother is lying and P.S where the **** is diamond joes money?

Desperate once again. YOU are the one who made the fu**ing claims bro. It's on you to defend your stance and provide a shred of evidence if you're the one arguing that he's 100 percent a junkie basically. Sounds more like someone came to a gun fight with a knife and now is looking around stupid and confused.

Anything I found in regards to drug use for Steve is purely speculation from random internet board posters like yourself who can't fathom someone being high strung, loud and a bit eccentric without needing to label them or stereotype. Admit it.. you're trying to find flaw in something that is without flaw in this particular case.

Ballmer is a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade to Sterling before even having been an owner a week yet. Just his attitude, energy and deep pockets= great owner potential. You're trying to create a potential problem when one doesn't exist yet.

Goose17
08-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Desperate once again. YOU are the one who made the fu**ing claims bro. It's on you to defend your stance and provide a shred of evidence if you're the one arguing that he's 100 percent a junkie basically. Sounds more like someone came to a gun fight with a knife and now is looking around stupid and confused.

Anything I found in regards to drug use for Steve is purely speculation from random internet board posters like yourself who can't fathom someone being high strung, loud and a bit eccentric without needing to label them or stereotype. Admit it.. you're trying to find flaw in something that is without flaw in this particular case.

Ballmer is a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade to Sterling before even having been an owner a week yet. Just his attitude, energy and deep pockets= great owner potential. You're trying to create a potential problem when one doesn't exist yet.

Lol I knew you would be so defensive. Anyone following his career has heard the rumours and has seen the signs of drug abuse.

I never once questioned his ability as an owner. I never once said his cocaine habit would be a problem. I just said it's going to be entertaining.

This is like how everyone knows Bush liked to snort the powder regardless of the hoaxes and rumours. It's commonly accepted by most within those circles and they have heavily implied it over the years.

If you don't want to believe it that's cool. I'm guessing you just think he's clinically insane, it's the only other explanation for the stuff he's done, possibly some sort of bi-polar thing. Lol at calling him eccentric that's an understatement. Westbrook and people like will.I.am are eccentric. This guy is literally insane... or high.

Randomly bursting into song during a speech, randomly bursting into monkey noises during a speech and jumping around on stage, screaming down the microphone for no apparent reason and then shouting about how your screams have five letters in them. This isn't eccentric, it goes beyond that. Sorry bro.

Guy is flat out crazy... or high.

sf-fanatic
08-21-2014, 02:57 AM
It's no surprise that the wealthiest and most successful people in America were somewhat drug addicts. Ballmer was an "alleged" coke addict. A google search will find multiple sources of speculation, but nothing out of his mouth. Steve Jobs also was an LSD addict, and admitted it too. I'm sure there are other rich owner's that use drugs. It doesn't mean they are bad owners though. Anyways, sports is entertainment and he is exciting and we need more people like him in the sports industry.

Goose17
08-21-2014, 03:06 AM
It's no surprise that the wealthiest and most successful people in America were somewhat drug addicts. Ballmer was an "alleged" coke addict. A google search will find multiple sources of speculation, but nothing out of his mouth. Steve Jobs also was an LSD addict, and admitted it too. I'm sure there are other rich owner's that use drugs. It doesn't mean they are bad owners though. Anyways, sports is entertainment and he is exciting and we need more people like him in the sports industry.

This^ I never said it makes him a bad owner or that he isn't over it now or whatever. And I clearly stated it would be entertaining for the league.

Most of these rich guys are on something at some point. In fact, most really creative and intelligent people have dabbled in something at some point.

Ariza's Better
08-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Why?

Vinylman
08-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Steve Ballmer didn't make Microsoft successful...

Microsoft made him appear successful...

His enthusiasm will be moot once he understands the restrictiveness of the CBA

Arch Stanton
08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Guy seems a bit crazy, but that could be a good thing. At least he's not Sterling! I have no idea if he's on drugs or has a drug addiction because I haven't seen anything other than hearsay. I could ask my step brother who works for Microsoft, but I don't really care.

Vinylman
08-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Yeah Allen is such a terrible owner. SMH.

Does it count that Microsoft's stock price doubled from the low point during the recession to the point where Ballmer announced his retirement then?

Are you actually suggesting Ballmer was "good" for MSFT stock investors? that is laughable ... the return on that stock from the time he took over to the time he left was terrible. In fact, the stock started going through the roof when they announced he would be replaced as CEO in august 2013 (the day it was announced the stock went UP 7.3%)

Ballmer was a manager... he had no vision for the company and constantly missed out on "new technologies"

one of my favorite ballmer quotes ever

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance"

others also knew he was bad for investors:

Microsoft's share price stagnated during Ballmer's tenure. As a result, in May 2012, hedge fund manager David Einhorn called on Ballmer to step down as CEO of Microsoft. "His continued presence is the biggest overhang on Microsoft's stock," Einhorn said in reference to Ballmer. In a May 2012 column in Forbes magazine, Adam Hartung described Ballmer as "the worst CEO of a large publicly traded American company", saying he had "steered Microsoft out of some of the fastest growing and most lucrative tech markets (mobile music, handsets and tablets)".

DreamShaker
08-21-2014, 11:55 AM
I heard that speech a few days ago, immediately thought of Matt Foley, and was waiting for him to say he lived in a van down by the river. Nonetheless, I think he will be a great owner. His enthusiasm is infectios, and he's loaded and invested.

sixers247
08-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Probably going to be a good owner with all that coin but I doubt we hear much from him. Really only a few owners in the whole league who stay in the news.

Leach11
08-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Except I'm not making **** up. Why in the world would I lie about something so trivial?

goingfor28
08-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Who cares what he did at Microsoft? He isn't going to run the clippers, he just provides the team with deep pockets. He's already said he will let the basketball guys do their jobs.

Leach11
08-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Lol I knew you would be so defensive. Anyone following his career has heard the rumours and has seen the signs of drug abuse.

I never once questioned his ability as an owner. I never once said his cocaine habit would be a problem. I just said it's going to be entertaining.

This is like how everyone knows Bush liked to snort the powder regardless of the hoaxes and rumours. It's commonly accepted by most within those circles and they have heavily implied it over the years.

If you don't want to believe it that's cool. I'm guessing you just think he's clinically insane, it's the only other explanation for the stuff he's done, possibly some sort of bi-polar thing. Lol at calling him eccentric that's an understatement. Westbrook and people like will.I.am are eccentric. This guy is literally insane... or high.

Randomly bursting into song during a speech, randomly bursting into monkey noises during a speech and jumping around on stage, screaming down the microphone for no apparent reason and then shouting about how your screams have five letters in them. This isn't eccentric, it goes beyond that. Sorry bro.

Guy is flat out crazy... or high.

Who are you trying to fool? You can't even provide one source that supports what you're saying. Not an article, blog, or even a discussion from a business related forum.

TheIlladelph16
08-21-2014, 03:31 PM
When its literally only Lakers and Warriors fans who are are talking ****, you have to believe its a good move for the Clippers.

Dude seems genuinely excited about owning the team and understands that the basketball minds have to make the real decisions for the franchise. I think he can be a very good owner with his bankroll and passion.

sf-fanatic
08-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I have a question...for everyone that says he has "deep pockets" does it really mean that much in the NBA cause of the CBA and salary cap ? If your team is over the cap, it's not like he can go and still sign FA's. Only thing is if he does in the luxury tax and even with deep pockets, its not necessarily the good thing to do. You don't want to spend recklessly and get straddled with bad contracts and lose flexibility. I'm sure most NBA owner's have money and can go into the luxury tax if needed.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
I have a question...for everyone that says he has "deep pockets" does it really mean that much in the NBA cause of the CBA and salary cap ? If your team is over the cap, it's not like he can go and still sign FA's. Only thing is if he does in the luxury tax and even with deep pockets, its not necessarily the good thing to do. You don't want to spend recklessly and get straddled with bad contracts and lose flexibility. I'm sure most NBA owner's have money and can go into the luxury tax if needed.

More important than all of that is what follows:

1. Analytics and scouting divisions. Clippers was notoriously skimpy, in fact they didn't have any analytics/statistics departments. Ballmer has already provided the funds for this improvement.

2. More willing to pay for quality, more expensive staff in general. Know how many great front office/coaching people we've had bail merely because they were severely underpaid?

3. Lastly is what you mentioned. Willingness to pay any tax bill. Doesn't mean he will strive for that, just means he won't mind going over here and there.

All of these things add up to something good compared to Sterling.

Cracka2HI!
08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
When its literally only Lakers and Warriors fans who are are talking ****, you have to believe its a good move for the Clippers.

Dude seems genuinely excited about owning the team and understands that the basketball minds have to make the real decisions for the franchise. I think he can be a very good owner with his bankroll and passion.

:clap:

Simple question. I will answer back with a questions just as simple. Do you think Donald Sterling would pay luxury tax to pay a "supporting" piece like DeAndre Jordon? Do you think someone with "deep pockets" like Steve Ballmer will?

Vinylman
08-22-2014, 08:24 AM
:clap:

Simple question. I will answer back with a questions just as simple. Do you think Donald Sterling would pay luxury tax to pay a "supporting" piece like DeAndre Jordon? Do you think someone with "deep pockets" like Steve Ballmer will?

you and 86 are definitely right on where he will spend more than Sterling. The question is with so many guys with big contracts how are you going to improve the team significantly without dumping DeAndre... the LT is not like it use to be... the repeater tax is extremely punitive if you stay in the LT area to long.

The good news for you is that Ballmer is loaded and will pretty much look at this as an ego boost/toy rather than an investment (who could look at it as an investment when he easily overpaid for the team by $1 billion).

The problem is he can't anticipate any equity appreciation in the value of team like other owners can which leads them to bite the bullet occasionally and accept operating losses

It will be interesting to see how his management style plays out... he is definitely opinionated and was WRONG on so many key initiatives at Microsoft that you have to wonder how it will work out...

Nevertheless, if I was a clippers fan I would be glad that cheap POS sterling was gone and new owner that doesn't care about money was in place

torocan
08-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Deep pockets impacts the team in multiple ways.

-Hiring the best scouts, managers, trainers, medical staff, coaches/assistants, nutritionists, etc vs nickel and diming new hires and fighting with them over fair compensation.
-Improving facilities and equipment, making them cutting edge, keeping them well maintained, and giving the athletes the best chance to maximize their training and conditioning. This also makes the team more attractive as a free agent destination. Nicer locker rooms, better lounges, and more comfortable traveling conditions all count when a FA is thinking about where they want to play, otherwise teams wouldn't spend millions upon upgrading their locker rooms with things like digital read outs, large screen TV's, player only lounges and bars, etc.
-Adding facilities and expanding departments of the team that may be underfunded or only adequately funded such as scouting departments, analytics, training staffs, advanced nutrition, etc.

And while you can't technically acquire a FA to go significantly over the salary cap, what you CAN do is use bird rights and RFA to go significantly over the cap to retain talent. So if they find a gem in the rough, or they have a player that plays at a very high level, they can continue building the team without necessarily letting a players 'next' contract stop them from retaining that player.

For example, OKC let Harden go in a trade due to the luxury tax implications in future years. Do you think a guy with deep pockets would have let Harden walk? They would have kept Harden and 'figured it out' later.

And while there are owners with deep pockets that spend recklessly, that doesn't mean that you couldn't have deep pockets and spend intelligently. Also, the goal posts move when you have very deep pockets. If one of your driving priorities is profit, then it will influence your decision making.

Basically, if you're balancing profit vs winning against just winning regardless of profit, or even winning with a level of acceptable financial loss, you'll make very different decisions.

If I told you to build your dream home and gave you a budget of $300K, you'd build a very different home than if I told you that your budget was $3M. The realities are just different when your owner is worth $20B vs $2B.

Clippersfan86
08-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Deep pockets impacts the team in multiple ways.

-Hiring the best scouts, managers, trainers, medical staff, coaches/assistants, nutritionists, etc vs nickel and diming new hires and fighting with them over fair compensation.
-Improving facilities and equipment, making them cutting edge, keeping them well maintained, and giving the athletes the best chance to maximize their training and conditioning. This also makes the team more attractive as a free agent destination. Nicer locker rooms, better lounges, and more comfortable traveling conditions all count when a FA is thinking about where they want to play, otherwise teams wouldn't spend millions upon upgrading their locker rooms with things like digital read outs, large screen TV's, player only lounges and bars, etc.
-Adding facilities and expanding departments of the team that may be underfunded or only adequately funded such as scouting departments, analytics, training staffs, advanced nutrition, etc.

And while you can't technically acquire a FA to go significantly over the salary cap, what you CAN do is use bird rights and RFA to go significantly over the cap to retain talent. So if they find a gem in the rough, or they have a player that plays at a very high level, they can continue building the team without necessarily letting a players 'next' contract stop them from retaining that player.

For example, OKC let Harden go in a trade due to the luxury tax implications in future years. Do you think a guy with deep pockets would have let Harden walk? They would have kept Harden and 'figured it out' later.

And while there are owners with deep pockets that spend recklessly, that doesn't mean that you couldn't have deep pockets and spend intelligently. Also, the goal posts move when you have very deep pockets. If one of your driving priorities is profit, then it will influence your decision making.

Basically, if you're balancing profit vs winning against just winning regardless of profit, or even winning with a level of acceptable financial loss, you'll make very different decisions.

If I told you to build your dream home and gave you a budget of $300K, you'd build a very different home than if I told you that your budget was $3M. The realities are just different when your owner is worth $20B vs $2B.

Bingo. Couldn't of said it better. I think he's the richest owner in all of sports. Donald's scouting division was horrendously thin and the team didn't even have the advanced stat guys or other progressive things most other contenders are using now. Even ON the court I expect there to be a noticeable difference in the team. I'm hoping we can become the next Mavs. Not quite Spurs level, but sustained quality playoff team for 10-12 years, maybe win a ring or two, couple WCF finals appearances. I'd be very happy with that.

cmellofan15
08-22-2014, 03:43 PM
in response to the first post:

I'm pretty sure Mark Cuban is already on steroids

Cracka2HI!
08-22-2014, 05:15 PM
you and 86 are definitely right on where he will spend more than Sterling. The question is with so many guys with big contracts how are you going to improve the team significantly without dumping DeAndre... the LT is not like it use to be... the repeater tax is extremely punitive if you stay in the LT area to long.

The good news for you is that Ballmer is loaded and will pretty much look at this as an ego boost/toy rather than an investment (who could look at it as an investment when he easily overpaid for the team by $1 billion).

The problem is he can't anticipate any equity appreciation in the value of team like other owners can which leads them to bite the bullet occasionally and accept operating losses

It will be interesting to see how his management style plays out... he is definitely opinionated and was WRONG on so many key initiatives at Microsoft that you have to wonder how it will work out...

Nevertheless, if I was a clippers fan I would be glad that cheap POS sterling was gone and new owner that doesn't care about money was in place

That's fair. I don't think any Clipper fan on this board is saying we have the greatest owner ever. That would be silly before he's even started doing the job. I also don't think any of us are really defending him as the Mircrosoft CEO. That said I don't think Clipper fans give 2 ***** what he did at microsoft and there is no reason to think the job he did in a completely different field will make him a bad owner. Your last sentence says it all. We no longer have Sterling and that alone is reason to celebrate.

Method28
08-23-2014, 01:26 AM
the best owners are the ones that stay out of the papers

Id disagree. Cuban, Steinbrenner, Kraft, Buss and Rooney have all had their fair share of headlines and all have rings and have spearheaded their respect leagues. With baseball the front page grabbing Dodgers group also is doing very well.