PDA

View Full Version : Ranaudo to start Wednesday; Escobar returning to PAW

RedSoxtober
08-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Red Sox manager John Farrell told MLB Network Radio on Tuesday that the team will skip right-hander Brandon Workman on Wednesday. In his place, the team will have right-hander Anthony Ranaudo start.

Workman has suffered the loss in each of his last six big league appearances (five starts and a bullpen appearance in Saturday’s 19-inning loss to the Angels), with a 6.35 ERA in that span. Farrell has noted on occasion that, given that Workman pitched two more months (September and October) last year than he ever had in the minors, he might be dealing with some residual fatigue. He’s 1-6 with a 4.45 ERA this year.

Ranaudo won his major league debut against the Yankees on Aug. 1, working around four walks to limit New York to two runs in six innings. The 24-year-old is 13-4 with a 2.58 ERA in 22 minor league starts spanning 125 2/3 innings this year.

To clear a spot for Ranaudo, the Sox are optioning left-hander Edwin Escobar back to Pawtucket. Escobar, a 22-year-old acquired from the Giants for Jake Peavy, has a 1.50 ERA with 10 strikeouts and three walks in two starts with Triple-A Pawtucket.weei.com

-Lavigne43-
08-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Convenient that his mandatory days in the minors passed right before the game. I assumed Escobar would get the start because Ranaudo couldn't get called up, guess it was just for bullpen relief if a starter got shelled.

theGhost-isGone
08-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Maybe we've seen the last Workman for '14, Ranaudo could be taking his spot for the rest of the year. I think Farrell might be right about Workman pitching for 2 months more than he's used to last year.

BostonSports96
08-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Maybe we've seen the last Workman for '14, Ranaudo could be taking his spot for the rest of the year. I think Farrell might be right about Workman pitching for 2 months more than he's used to last year.

Maybe, but Workman might also factor back into the rotation once RDLR reaches his innings limit for the season.

theGhost-isGone
08-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Maybe, but Workman might also factor back into the rotation once RDLR reaches his innings limit for the season.

Ahh, forgot about Rubby's limits. We should see one of Barnes/Owens at some point (before September).

I'm gonna keep saying it til it happens, one of these kids should take Clay's spot in the rotation before too long. Buch would be more effective out of the pen, but that would probably diminish any value in a potential trade this off-season.

I'd like to see a full rotation of our prospects for a few go 'rounds. Not that I'm saying "let's tank", but come September if we're in top-5 pick territory, we should take it. See what the kids can do, while protecting our 1st rounder to make a big sign in FA. For all we know, Owens/Ranaudo/Barnes could be really good - as good (or close) as the old Oakland trio.

RedSoxtober
08-13-2014, 12:38 AM
In five starts before his suspension Workman was 1-0, 3.21ERA, .190/.277/.290 against. In five starts since his suspension he's 0-5, 6.04ERA, .273/.344/.500 against. Wish he hadn't been so stupid; he completely destroyed a nice rhythm.

I don't buy the idea that pitching into October hurt him that much. He threw 138IP in 2012 and the increase to roughly 154 in 2013 should not have been a tremendous stretch.

goshhhjosh
08-13-2014, 08:29 AM
In five starts before his suspension Workman was 1-0, 3.21ERA, .190/.277/.290 against. In five starts since his suspension he's 0-5, 6.04ERA, .273/.344/.500 against. Wish he hadn't been so stupid; he completely destroyed a nice rhythm.

I somewhat concur, I just wish he would have actually hit Eva Longoria instead of throwing behind him. That whole suspension thing still pisses me off. David Price hits two batters doesn't even get suspended or tossed from the game. Workman throws behind Longoria, gets ejected and receives a 6 game suspension.