PDA

View Full Version : Which team did you think had championship potential that broke up too soon?

JasonJohnHorn
08-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Watching the HOF inductions the other day reminded me of when Alonzo Mourning played in Charlotte.

I was really excited to see that team grow. With Larry Johnson looking like he'd be the next Charles Barkley, and Alonzo Mourning looking like he'd be one of the best defensive centers to ever play the game, I was excited to see what they could do, especially since they had JR Reid coming off the bench able to play both PF and C, and they have Dell Curry and Kendal Gill at SG and SF with Johnny Newman backing them up. I realize Muggsy Bogues gave up a lot of height on defense, but he was SUCH an efficient play maker. In 1990 for instances he averages over 10 assists a game and LESS than 2 turnovers, for an assist-to-turnover ratio that was better than 5-1: unheard of!

But Johnson and Mourning apparently didn't get along, leading to a Mourning trade, and Johnson would eventually get injured.

I really think that roster could have done something amazing with the right coach and a second point guard that could split minutes with Muggsy.

What roster do you think missed out? Run TMC? The Cavs with Nance, Daugherty and Price? Anybody else?

sixers247
08-12-2014, 09:32 AM
First one that comes to mind would be Yao and Mcgrady. Injuries didn't give them too much of a chane but that was a fun team to watch.

DreamShaker
08-12-2014, 09:57 AM
That is so weird. I was thinking the exact same thing, and thought about making a thread about it, while thinking about Run TMC and the Hornets. I also think of Shaq and Penny's Magic team. They were primed and ready to take over the East. We all know it worked out for Shaq with the Lakers, but I feel like they could have stolen a title away in 98 or 99 if they kept that group together. I selfishly am glad T-Mac was a Rocket, but T-Mac and Carter staying together might have changed both of their careers for the better. I also feel like Shawn Kemp leaving the Sonics for the Cavs was a bummer.

DreamShaker
08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
First one that comes to mind would be Yao and Mcgrady. Injuries didn't give them too much of a chane but that was a fun team to watch.

I really believe they could have won it all the year they had Artest, had not Yao, Mutombo, and T-Mac had not gotten hurt. They still had the Lakers reeling.

D-Leethal
08-12-2014, 10:21 AM
OKC had decade-long dynasty potential.

D-Leethal
08-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Bernard + Patrick? Bernard eventually got back to his elite scoring status but it was in a different uni. Damn shame those two never got to play together.

hoopsmate
08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
09 Magic

FYL_McVeezy
08-12-2014, 10:29 AM
'10 Thunder
'95 Magic

And I have to agree with Leethal about King+Ewing....Ewing and the Knicks was a scorer away from winning(obviously we're talking 94-95...no one beat MJ)

PhillyFaninLA
08-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Nash, Dirk, Finley on the Mavs. I wanted them to stay together at the time.

PurpleLynch
08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Kings 2001/2002. I don't want to start a conversation about Lakers vs Kings in those playoffs,but they were an amazing team.

sixers247
08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Kidd, Jackson, Mash on the Mavs lol

JustinTime
08-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Wasn't the only potential champion team that involved Tmac. What about the Raptors with him and Vince Carter they would have been unreal if they stuck together,

Chronz
08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Can we really say a team got broken up too soon if injuries derailed a players career?

Honestly cant think of any team that broke up too soon. Maybe the GP/Kemp Sonics that were derailed by sudden loss of motivation. Kemp threw away a helluva career

Chronz
08-12-2014, 12:26 PM
If Cuban would have stopped fidgeting with the roster, the Dirk-Nash Mavs would have won eventually.

Minimal
08-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Reggie Miller/Jermaine O'Neal/Ron Artest/Stephen Jackson Pacers.

theheatles
08-12-2014, 01:36 PM
The Heatles :crying:

RIP Bron Lennon

Chronz
08-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Reggie Miller/Jermaine O'Neal/Ron Artest/Stephen Jackson Pacers.

Good one. Too bad they was too much crazy

B.JenningsMVP
08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
IDK if they had championship potential but thee nuggets team the yr melo got dealt with the core of Melo, Afflalo, Lawson would have been extremely good right now imo

Goose17
08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Amy semi-decent Warriors team of the last 30 years. We have a habit of breaking up a good thing just as we get it. Almost did it again with Love.

Oefarmy2005
08-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury.

jerellh528
08-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Okc. Durant, Westbrook, ibaka, harden

ghettosean
08-12-2014, 03:55 PM
T-Mac and VC would have been unstoppable if they had stayed together.

ghettosean
08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Can we really say a team got broken up too soon if injuries derailed a players career?

Honestly cant think of any team that broke up too soon. Maybe the GP/Kemp Sonics that were derailed by sudden loss of motivation. Kemp threw away a helluva career

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

SoFreshNsoClean
08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
I really believe they could have won it all the year they had Artest, had not Yao, Mutombo, and T-Mac had not gotten hurt. They still had the Lakers reeling.

...and then proceed to lose to the Nuggets in WCF. I agree.

Bostonjorge
08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Magic
Shag
Horace grant
D3
Nick Anderson
Penny

Suns
Amare
Matrix
Joe Johnson
Quiten Richardson
Nash

Dallas
Dirk
Jamison
Antonine walker
Finaly
Nash

D-Leethal
08-12-2014, 08:11 PM

I think you can if said player worked his way back to full health after a couple of rehab seasons, played 163 games total in 2 seasons after the injury and eventually got back to being one of the top scorers in the game.

kobe4thewinbang
08-12-2014, 08:28 PM
If Cuban would have stopped fidgeting with the roster, the Dirk-Nash Mavs would have won eventually.I also think the Mavs that beat the Heat could've won another title or at least come close had they not lost Chandler, Kidd, etc.

JasonJohnHorn
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
T-Mac and VC would have been unstoppable if they had stayed together.

Yeah... I mean the Raptors were a bucket shy of the conference finals WITHOUT McGrady... you put T-Mac on that roster, with Mo Pete backin' up him and Carter at SF and SG, and throw in Oakley, Davis, Hakeem and JYD, and then a solid point guard rotation with Mark Jackson and Alvin Williams.... that roster might have been able to take the Lakers.

Cal827
08-12-2014, 08:47 PM
...and then proceed to lose to the Nuggets in WCF. I agree.

Wasn't Artest still a good defender at the Small Forward position with Houston?

And despite the injuries, the did force 7 games against that Laker team.

If that Rocket team was fully healthy with Ming-Mcgrady and Artes, I'm not 100% sure that they would lose to Denver lol :D

MTar786
08-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Yeah... I mean the Raptors were a bucket shy of the conference finals WITHOUT McGrady... you put T-Mac on that roster, with Mo Pete backin' up him and Carter at SF and SG, and throw in Oakley, Davis, Hakeem and JYD, and then a solid point guard rotation with Mark Jackson and Alvin Williams.... that roster might have been able to take the Lakers.

when u say take the lakers, do you mean like take 1 game, maybe two? like 4-1 instead of getting swept?

SILVER SEAVER
08-13-2014, 01:41 AM
The Washington Bullets at the time when they had a young Chris Webber and Juwan Howard.

PowerHouse
08-13-2014, 02:18 AM
It would have been nice to have seen Run TMC last together longer than they did. Trading Richmond for sorry-*** Billy Owens is still one of the worst trades in NBA history.

ThompsonTwins
08-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Sonics when they had Kemp, Payton and Hawkins. All they needed was to add a center and SF and they would've been a contender for the next 4-5 years.

Webber, Mullin, Sprewell, Hardaway. All they needed was a center and a coach that could get them to get along.

slashsnake
08-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Nash, Dirk, Finley on the Mavs. I wanted them to stay together at the time.

Or even earlier, triple J Ranch with Jackson, Jamal and Jason. Had a lot of young talent there.

Agree on the Magic,...

And I always liked that mid-90's Portland team. Sheed, Sabonis, Cliff Robinson, Kenny Anderson, Isiah Rider, Augmon, Jermaine O'Neal, Aaron McKie, Gary Trent, maybe Robert Pack... I can't remember for sure. A lot of pretty good talent there on both sides of the ball.

And the winner of the bunch. 96 hornets. Gave up on Kobe Bryant far too soon lol.

YoungOne
08-13-2014, 07:33 PM
wizards arenas-stevenson-butler-jamison-haywood always looked strong, but were never healthy together..

lamzoka
08-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Mike Dantoni Suns, Nash, Amare, Diaw, Marion, Barbosa