PDA

View Full Version : Rockets sign Kostas Papanikolaou

leprechaun5
08-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Houston is signing Kostas Papanikolaou to a two-year deal, league source tells Yahoo.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Papanikolaou gets $4.8m guarantee for '14-15 season and team option for 2nd year at $4.6m. He's been in Europe since 2012 draft. 48th pick.

To much money, i can't believe he's being paid better than Bogdanovic who signed with Nets.

Saddletramp
08-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Heard this guy is potentially a stud in the making. Here's hoping.

JEDean89
08-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures if youre the Rockets. I was curious about him when my Knicks drafted him in the 2nd round a few years ago. Funny how many times this guy was traded before even coming into the league.

SPURSFAN1
08-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Heard this guy is potentially a stud in the making. Here's hoping.

Rocket fans eat it all up every year. lol

goingfor28
08-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Not gonna lie. Dude has a cool last name.

Ariza's Better
08-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Solid signing, good 3 point shooter and solid defender.

leprechaun5
08-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Solid signing, good 3 point shooter and solid defender.

At 4.8 mil? No.

Ariza's Better
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
At 4.8 mil? No.
1 year deal with team option for 2nd? Yes it is solid.

leprechaun5
08-08-2014, 07:15 PM
1 year deal with team option for 2nd? Yes it is solid.

I call that a desperation move.

Htownballa1622
08-08-2014, 07:19 PM
I think it was because he had a high buyout. Not too sure and I'm not going to act like I know right now.

High number imo but we'll see if he can produce. We need a backup wing to produce.

5ass
08-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Its a one year deal. Good signing for sure.

Ariza's Better
08-08-2014, 07:23 PM
How? Rockets were looking to sign him all off-season. It's not like they just decided last week to sign him.

HoopKing
08-08-2014, 07:24 PM
The Rockets had a sh*tty off-season.

But, this guy could be a steal.

leprechaun5
08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
How? Rockets were looking to sign him all off-season. It's not like they just decided last week to sign him. Plus it's a 1 year deal.

They were reportedly looking to sign him for 2yr/4mil. They tend to be contenders and Papanikolau isn't going to help much in that aspect. Way to much money even though that 2nd year non-guaranteed can be a good trade asset next season.

mightybosstone
08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Rocket fans eat it all up every year. lol

Remember that time Houston got Luis Scola from the Spurs for essentially nothing? I'll certainly never forget. ;)

SPURSFAN1
08-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Remember that time Houston got Luis Scola from the Spurs for essentially nothing? I'll certainly never forget. ;)

I personally don't rate scola. :)

Ariza's Better
08-08-2014, 07:34 PM
They were reportedly looking to sign him for 2yr/4mil. They tend to be contenders and Papanikolau isn't going to help much in that aspect. Way to much money even though that 2nd year non-guaranteed can be a good trade asset next season.
He shoots the 3 at a good percentage and is a solid defender. Everything the rockets need in a backup SF. And at 4 mil for 1 year? That's not way too much money.

championships
08-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Who?

mightybosstone
08-08-2014, 07:35 PM
As for this signing, my biggest concern at this point was the Rockets lack of depth at the wings behind Harden and Ariza. I was disappointed when it was initially announced that Houston couldn't meet a deal for this guy at 2 years, $4 million. Houston doesn't need a stud. They need a glue guy who can defend the wings, hit the 3-pointer at a competent clip and play well within their offense for 20-25 minutes a game.

So after the deal fell through, I was desperately hoping Houston could get Shawn Marion. I do think this is a bit too much money, but considering I would have been totally fine with this kind of a deal for Marion, all Kostas has to do is put up relatively similar production to Marion. I would be thrilled with something like a relatively efficient 9/5/2 with at least 35-36% shooting from the 3-point line and solid defense. .

championships
Heard this guy is potentially a stud in the making. Here's hoping.Uh huh. So was Marshon Brooks.

mightybosstone
I personally don't rate scola. :)

Don't rate Scola what? Have you become so arrogant, you don't feel like you need to finish sentences?

mightybosstone
08-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Uh huh. So was Marshon Brooks.

What? What does this have to do with anything? Brooks is a SG from New Jersey who played four years of college ball at Providence before being a late first round draft pick and playing a few mediocre seasons of NBA basketball. Papanikolaou is a forward from Greece who has spent his entire career overseas and won two titles in the Euroleague.

They're not remotely similar players, they took completely different paths to get to the league and there is literally zero reason to compare the two whatsoever. Of the hundreds of guys you could have compared this kid to, why in the hell did you pick Brooks? That just boggles my mind...

mightybosstone
08-08-2014, 07:46 PM

It depends on what they get out of him. If he's still really raw, can't keep up with the speed of the game and struggles to consistently hit 3-pointers, then that will be way too much money. But if he plays decent defense, can hit an open 3-pointer and gels well in the rotation, then $5 million is a pretty reasonable salary for a solid role player.

shep33
08-08-2014, 08:33 PM
I love it when they call me big POPAnikolaou!

COOLbeans
08-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Rockets :laugh:

amazinginsight
08-09-2014, 03:58 AM
i like rockets emphasis on defence this year...ariza papa dorsey johnson...plus beverley howard and even the beard started playing d....i like it...

Htownballa1622
08-09-2014, 04:31 AM
Rockets :laugh:

Nice.

Shouldn't you be worried about yalls Shrek instead of adding ZERO to the topic at hand?

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24649115/warriors-marreese-speights-arrested-for-driving-under-the-influence

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Don't 2nd round picks have a contract limit?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't rate Scola what? Have you become so arrogant, you don't feel like you need to finish sentences?

Lol what?

arlubas
08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
It depends on what they get out of him. If he's still really raw, can't keep up with the speed of the game and struggles to consistently hit 3-pointers, then that will be way too much money. But if he plays decent defense, can hit an open 3-pointer and gels well in the rotation, then $5 million is a pretty reasonable salary for a solid role player.
He will definitely keep up with the pace because he's a solid athlete. Not anything off the charts but solid. I don't think he will have a problem with his shooting and everyone who has watched him knows he will bring defense and hustle with him every time he steps on the court. Above all this kid is a professional and has a very good work ethic so if anything he will help Houston replace some of the things it lost with Parsons gone. The money might seem much for an unproven at the NBA level player but that team option for next season minimizes the risk for Houston. Honestly I don't see how this move can go wrong for the Rockets.

jaydubb
08-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Rockets offseason has been mostly :down:

jaydubb
08-09-2014, 09:43 AM
I feel like it's a bit of an overpay

mightybosstone
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Rockets offseason has been mostly :down:

I think it's been essentially a lateral move with a few minor improvements that could make a difference. They've really beefed up their defense, so I'm pleased about that. And they've got a lot of young guys who could exceed expectations and earn their spot on the rotation. I think this will be a much deeper Rockets team that last season assuming everyone stays relatively healthy.

Verbal Christ
08-09-2014, 11:13 AM
The dining room drama with Dwight and James comes out and PSD be like "nooo those guys are aholes I hope they die! !" Then the media retracts fake story and PSD is like "nooo I don't care I'm positive they do that I believe everything the media feeds me"

Rockets make a needed signing and PSD goes " nooo they overpaid, 2 year deals are horrible they are desperate" then they get shown how its a good deal and PSD cries "noooooo I don't care I hate Houston and I don't even know whyyy I'm just following along like a good little lemming"

This board has become comical. Nobody really offers up valid arguments, just a lot of mud slinging. I actually clip and paste posts from here to other more educated and legitimately basketball centric boards just for the laughs so yall keep them coming mmmkay. LOL