PDA

View Full Version : How Can Cleveland Afford Max Contracts For Their Big 3?

MetroMan
08-08-2014, 12:30 AM
We all know about Irvings contract and that Lebron wants a max contract too. Now their going to sign love for 20 mil a year too?

How can they afford all this?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Lebron told Gilbert he better pay the luxury tax if he wants him there. But it'll all work out if they get a title since Lebron probably generates well more than what the luxury tax penalties are.

Tristan Thompson will easily get like $9 mil a year as well minimum after this season. Waiters is going like $7 mil at minimum next offseason. The salary cap is expected to increase though at that time.

Which is why we need a hardcap.

goingfor28
Kyrie isn't making 20+on his max

Chaotic98
There's something called a soft-cap and a hard-cap, you can surpass the soft-cap or hard-cap to resign your own players or others using the MLE or vetran minimum. Only once you go over the hard cap do you pay a dollar for dollar tax

MetroMan
08-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Kyrie isn't making 20+on his max

excuse me, 18 million

goingfor28
08-08-2014, 12:38 AM
You're excused

IversonIsKrazy
08-08-2014, 12:49 AM
I think they can just get away w/it right now, but once they gotta pay TT & Waiters, their going to have some problems.

abe_froman
08-08-2014, 12:52 AM
We all know about Irvings contract and that Lebron wants a max contract too. Now their going to sign love for 20 mil a year too?

they have the rights to them and the owner is really,really rich

Mengxing
08-08-2014, 04:13 AM
My friend , you are right,I agree with you
There's something called a soft-cap and a hard-cap, you can surpass the soft-cap or hard-cap to resign your own players or others using the MLE or vetran minimum. Only once you go over the hard cap do you pay a dollar for dollar tax

MonroeFAN
08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Tristan Thompson will easily get like $9 mil a year as well minimum after this season. Waiters is going like $7 mil at minimum next offseason.

Wat? 7 mil at minimum? Stuckey just got the vets min, they're comparable players. TT is not even a starting caliber big.

16 M a year between those two turds, at a minimum? Who on earth would do that?

MrfadeawayJB
08-08-2014, 11:20 AM
In a year Cleveland will be Miami 2.0. Big three and a bunch of ring chasers past their prime. That's actually why I was opposed to them trading wiggins. What if he really becomes a star? With his rookie scale contract they could have had

Irving
Wiggins
James
Thompson
Verajao

6th man waiters
And a good amount of $ to spend on free agents.

And people will take a paycut to play with LeBron

Ty Fast
08-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Verajao's $9.7 million comes off the books after this year.

Stinkyoutsider
08-08-2014, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Lebron can help the Cavs generate a decent profit in the future which may make paying the luxury taxes easier.

FlashBolt
08-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Verajao's $9.7 million comes off the books after this year.

Which pretty much evens out with Kyrie's contract. I'm pretty sure James told Gilbert that he doesn't want any ******** going on and if they want to win, they better be willing to make some sacrifices. Heck, Gilbert is probably more than willing consider James drove his franchise to about $1 billion+. This franchise and city is only going to get more revenue over the years. I just can't figure out why Micky was being so cheap. You lose LeBron, your franchise value drops - that's pretty much a guarantee.

Dade County
08-08-2014, 03:43 PM
In a year Cleveland will be Miami 2.0. Big three and a bunch of ring chasers past their prime. That's actually why I was opposed to them trading wiggins. What if he really becomes a star? With his rookie scale contract they could have had

Irving
Wiggins
James
Thompson
Verajao

6th man waiters

Until a star player or an above average young player takes less, this statement is false; not because of the Lbj factor, it's because of the living in Cleveland factor.

Time will tell though.

slashsnake
08-08-2014, 10:58 PM

Irving
Wiggins
James
Thompson
Verajao

6th man waiters

Well I don't see them trading Wiggins for Love unless Lebron wants Love right away, so their 2015 roster could have been Wiggins without Lebron or Love.

The one thing I see that will kind of keep them from being the heat is their guys under contract that they can go over the cap to sign. Varejao (should the choose to), Waiters, Thompson, Delladova, etc.

ManRam
08-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Bird rights.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Wat? 7 mil at minimum? Stuckey just got the vets min, they're comparable players. TT is not even a starting caliber big.

16 M a year between those two turds, at a minimum? Who on earth would do that?

It'll happen very easily.

IndyRealist
08-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Is this a technical question or a question of whether it's a good idea or not?

Technically, Lebron is being signed with cap space which Cleveland cleared this summer. Then they are trading for Kevin Love's contract, and since Bennett and Wiggins make $5.5M each, with another small contract or cash the trade is legal. Then Love will opt out of his deal, and sign an extension using his Bird rights to allow Cleveland to exceed the salary cap.

Is it a good idea? Depends on if they win rings or not.

NBA_Starter
08-09-2014, 10:53 PM
It looks like the NBA wonders the same. :(