PDA

View Full Version : Which current players in the NBA could take any team to the Playoffs?

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Duncan because of the defense, rebounds and 15-17 points, mostly coming during curcial parts of the game.

Chris Paul

Durant

James although in the west it would be close.

Nowitzki maybe, he's had some bad rosters and coaches and never really misses the playoffs when healthy

Westbrook maybe, but only if he plays 80 games.

Tony Parker is close I think. I'm pretty sure he could score 24 ppg and win for anyteam.

Ginobili is close, he's just a winner.

That's pretty much it.

No to most the names you think.

abe_froman
08-07-2014, 08:03 PM
depends on if you are talking about east or west? i think only lebron and kd could do it in both,everyone else needs good players on their team

goingfor28
08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Nobody single handedly really. If you put lebron on a team of late 2nd rounders even they likely don't get an 8 seed

NYKalltheway
08-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Lebron and Durant. If the question is about placing any player on any current team.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:11 PM
depends on if you are talking about east or west? i think only lebron and kd could do it in both,everyone else needs good players on their team

I'm pretty sure Duncan and CP3 could as well.

Dirk is a maybe. I know he could've about 3 years ago.

abe_froman
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Duncan and CP3 could as well.

Dirk is a maybe. I know he could've about 3 years ago.
if hat was true then new orleans would have been the playoffs a lot more

and duncan? if this was 10 years ago,he needs a strong supporting cast now

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Lebron and Durant. If the question is about placing any player on any current team.

Why not Duncan?

Or CP3

I already know Dirk could've a few years back as of now it's a maybe.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:17 PM
if hat was true then new orleans would have been the playoffs a lot more

and duncan? if this was 10 years ago,he needs a strong supporting cast now

Duncan can still bring it out when he wants to. He's the best player in the NBA and the most competive. He does have 5 Rings so I don't know how anyone can still continue to question him.

CP3 did make the playoffs every season when he was healthy.

lamzoka
08-07-2014, 08:20 PM
LeBron and Durant. THAT'S IT

bucketss
only james, durant.

almost choked on my diet coke when i saw ginobli,duncan,parker, up there.

lincecum=future
Ginobli is close, he's just a winner

:laugh:

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I know more about the Spurs than anyone being a Mavs fan and seeing how they beat the Mavs usually now.

They win because they rebound easily. Duncan just toys with teams in the regular season, the game is very easy to him.

The day they lose Duncan, they'll still be pretty good, if they have Parker, Leonard, and Splitter. But they'll be like a 45 win team just trying to grab the 8th seed.
They'll have to find a way to replace Duncans inside scoring that leaves, Ginobili, Parker, Green and many others wide open.

ewing
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Bron

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
only james, durant.

almost choked on my diet coke when i saw ginobli,duncan,parker, up there.

They're pretty good man. The almost when back to back on lebron

xnick5757
08-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Lebron, Durant, and maybe CP3.

Guys like Love, Harden, and Curry are almost there too for me (assuming that the other 4 starters are near league average).

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Not really that hard to make the playoffs if you just "try" and play as a team.

Example
the Suns.

They make the playoffs instead of Dallas with Tony Parker instead of Dragic.

Most "experts" were saying the Suns were a 15 win team, yet Dragic and a coach won 47 games.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Parker is a borderline for sure.

He's very competitive and can score from anywhere. He's also rather durable. He's a good leader.

Remember just a few years ago he was an MVP candidate and for good reason.

He packs a lot of production into his 30 minutes a game.

ewing
08-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Example
the Suns.

Most "experts" were saying the Suns were a 15 win team, yet Dragic and a coach won 47 games.

you said any team. Do you think Tony Parker makes the Magic a playoff team?

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:32 PM
you said any team. Do you think Tony Parker makes the Magic a playoff team?

Yeah, actually I do.

They would win about 40 games with Parker. They're already close actually. They just need to play as a team and needs a leader.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Parker is definitely a player that is better than his stats. His stats are great if you look closely however.

Sure he has to work for his points in the Finals, but that's because Miami likes to put 6'9 players on him...

Jets012
08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Dwight was probably the top guy minus LeBron a few years ago. His rosters on Orlando weren't anything amazing.

Not sure besides LeBron/Durant. Probably Paul

SPURSFAN1
08-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Tim Duncan 'mr 50 win seasons" can't take a team to the playoffs is crazy.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Parker was one of two players in the playoffs to average over 17 ppg and 4 dimes on 47% shooting. 47% is not that arbituary of a stat. It's a little above the regular season average since 1980.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Tim Duncan 'mr 50 win seasons" can't take a team to the playoffs is crazy.

I know right. Some of these fools know nothing about basketball.

Tim Duncan actually has more wins than any player in NBA history.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Dwight was probably the top guy minus LeBron a few years ago. His rosters on Orlando weren't anything amazing.

Not sure besides LeBron/Durant. Probably Paul

Actually you're right.

I would say Howard is the another player that could, but just barely now. Back in his day.... I know it seems like he was way better back then, but he could carry basically any team to 55 wins.

I think he'd easily take say the Kings to the Playoffs etc. etc.

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Maybe Harden could?

TodWilkinson
08-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Seems kind of hard to judge it all the way now. Because so many teams are just poorly run by the owner and they have poor everything, from the players to the parking and everything inbetween like Milwaukee.

As a whole, teams were run better back then, (90's) and the NBA as a whole was a better product.

Players from the 90's that could take any team to the Playoffs.

Jordan
Pippen
Ewing
Robinson
Shaq
Larry Johnson
G. Hill in his day
Kemp for about 6 or 7 years there
Malone
K. Johnson
Barkley
Olajuwon
Isiah
McHale
Mourning
Maybe Stockton
Reggie most seasons

mightybosstone
08-07-2014, 10:49 PM
The answer to the question posed is honestly "nobody." Because if you're saying "any team," that could be a squad of D-League caliber players. If you took four bottom five starters at their respective positions and put them around Lebron and Durant with a bunch of trash players on the bench, I don't think either team makes the playoffs. And I don't think Anybody else in the history of the league could have accomplished that either except for maybe teams in the 50s and 60s when playing in smaller leagues against inferior competition.

Now if you're giving this hypothetical team a series of average starters with a couple of decent bench pieces, but no real All-Stars (similar to Lebron's Cavs from the mid-2000s) then I think Lebron and Durant could certainly accomplish that in either conference. If we're talking about the East, then I think there's a lot of players who could accomplish that, including Paul, Curry, Griffin and Harden. Hell, you could argue that Noah did it last year with Chicago. But in the West?

Semantics and context are everything in a hypothetical discussion like this.

ewing
08-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah, actually I do.

They would win about 40 games with Parker. They're already close actually. They just need to play as a team and needs a leader.

they are still awful

torocan
08-07-2014, 11:27 PM
In the East or the West?

In the West? Nobody.

Honestly, I don't think that even LBJ or Michael Jordan could have taken last year's 76ers to the Western Play offs. 48 wins and you don't even get into the Western play offs.

In the East? LBJ and KD for sure. Probably another half dozen players after that as well. If 38 or 39 wins in the East is the cut off, then yah... more than a few.

mightybosstone
08-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Example
the Suns.

Ummm.... Except Dragic had a better season last year than Parker, so it's safe to say that's totally inaccurate. Plus, Dragic can play both guard positions, which you'e not taking into account. That was a horrible example.

Trueblue2
08-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Actually you're right.

I would say Howard is the another player that could, but just barely now. Back in his day.... I know it seems like he was way better back then, but he could carry basically any team to 55 wins.

I think he'd easily take say the Kings to the Playoffs etc. etc.

Really? Cause this Dwight isn't all that much better than cousins. Pre injury Dwight yea I can see it, but this one? Hell no. It took kobe playing 40mpg and having an insane regular season to get the 8th seed a few years ago when Dwight was on the Lakers. If he could do it without an unreal effort by Kobe then kobe is healthy right now.

And you really don't see the irony in having Duncan, parker, and ginobli (which is laughable inand of iitself) in your OP?

TrueFan420
08-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Really? Cause this Dwight isn't all that much better than cousins. Pre injury Dwight yea I can see it, but this one? Hell no. It took kobe playing 40mpg and having an insane regular season to get the 8th seed a few years ago when Dwight was on the Lakers. If he could do it without an unreal effort by Kobe then kobe is healthy right now.

And you really don't see the irony in having Duncan, parker, and ginobli (which is laughable inand of iitself) in your OP?

You're also forgetting an unreal effort put in by the refs/league. I remember a few games that the refs just job'ed games in the lakers favor.

koreancabbage
08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
If Lebron or Durant were in the west by themselves, no way.

I don't think any single player could take a bunch of scrubs in the West, nowadays, and get to the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
08-08-2014, 11:38 AM

this

FlashBolt
08-08-2014, 02:45 PM
This is easily LeBron, Durant, and CP3... You give everyone the same roster including coach, these 3 guys give you the best chance of winning games.

SPURSFAN1
08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I thought this question involved normal salaries and nba cap space. TD could easily make any team besides obvious tanking teams into playoff teams in the east or west. I mean he was first all nba team in 2013 and he still plays the same.