PDA

View Full Version : New look LeBron? New position?

kobe4thewinbang
08-05-2014, 07:46 PM
If this already has a thread, merge mine into it. But I couldn't find it. Just saw this on YAHOO!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-reportedly-cutting-carbs-to-lose-weight--and-the-early-returns-seem-promising--photo-174027896.html

LBJ looking slim. Is this a good move on his part? Gonna play a new position for Cleveland now (SG?) now that Wiggins is likely headed to the Timberwolves [reportedly a hand shake agreement]?

I thought LBJ's bulk was a huge advantage for him as he barrels into the paint. What does this mean for his playing style? Maybe be more of a passer/shooter? What does that mean for Kyrie Irving, who isn't the most pass-friendly PG?

goingfor28
08-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Off the juice

Sactown
08-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Off the juice

.... Really?..

Probably easier on his knees, I think he will be fine in the paint if he maintains some strength

NYKnickFanatic
08-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Looks so different.

kobe4thewinbang
08-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Looks so different.Looks like his high school days.

kobe4thewinbang
08-05-2014, 09:16 PM
.... Really?..

Probably easier on his knees, I think he will be fine in the paint if he maintains some strengthIt will definitely be interesting. I hope he still bangs in the paint. That jump shot is still not reliable.

0nekhmer
08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Good on the knees i guess, but weird how he's trying to get more quicker and agile, i guess he's trying to be a more off ball player at this point

KnicksYanks
08-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Good on the knees i guess, but weird how he's trying to get more quicker and agile, i guess he's trying to be a more off ball player at this point
Makes sense with kyrie holding the ball more

JLeBeau76
08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
If this already has a thread, merge mine into it. But I couldn't find it. Just saw this on YAHOO!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-reportedly-cutting-carbs-to-lose-weight--and-the-early-returns-seem-promising--photo-174027896.html

LBJ looking slim. Is this a good move on his part? Gonna play a new position for Cleveland now (SG?) now that Wiggins is likely headed to the Timberwolves [reportedly a hand shake agreement]?

I thought LBJ's bulk was a huge advantage for him as he barrels into the paint. What does this mean for his playing style? Maybe be more of a passer/shooter? What does that mean for Kyrie Irving, who isn't the most pass-friendly PG?

Last season, LBJ played 80% of the time as a pf. Now, with Love probably on the way, he will go back to strictly sf.

The less weight equals less stress on his joints and added quickness ....he is pushing an "old" 30.

As for Irving not being "pass-friendly", well, he's had all the pressure on him as the lead guy the past few years without a solid go-to guy. Now with possibly 2, he will be more than willing to pass.

A weak example of this is in the all-star games where he was playing with equals and betters...he passed willingly and took over when needed.

kobe4thewinbang
08-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Last season, LBJ played 80% of the time as a pf. Now, with Love probably on the way, he will go back to strictly sf.

The less weight equals less stress on his joints and added quickness ....he is pushing an "old" 30.

As for Irving not being "pass-friendly", well, he's had all the pressure on him as the lead guy the past few years without a solid go-to guy. Now with possibly 2, he will be more than willing to pass.

A weak example of this is in the all-star games where he was playing with equals and betters...he passed willingly and took over when needed.I wonder if Cleveland should take on Kevin Martin for SG, unless they're keeping Waitors. Dunno if Mike Miller is starter material these days, no word on Ray Allen yet?

bucketss
08-05-2014, 09:42 PM
i think he lost his HGH connection after leaving miami lol. :p

JLeBeau76
08-05-2014, 09:48 PM
I wonder if Cleveland should take on Kevin Martin for SG, unless they're keeping Waitors. Dunno if Mike Miller is starter material these days, no word on Ray Allen yet?

"If" they are getting rid of Wiggins, then they are keeping Waiters. He will be the starting sg. Cavs don't want Martin and that contract.

I figure once Love is traded and training camp rolls around, Allen will prob sign on for one more run.

JdKing7
08-05-2014, 10:11 PM
His face even looks slimmer.

Cavalife
08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Long-sleeve shirts make people look skinny so I couldn't tell much difference. I hope he maintains his powerful force while playing. I agree with kobe4thewinbang. James' jump shot isn't the most reliable in the league.

beasted86
08-05-2014, 10:31 PM

A weak example of this is in the all-star games where he was playing with equals and betters...he passed willingly and took over when needed.

Ignore the 80% PF article quote. Its just some of the inaccuracies that tend to happen sometimes on stat sites. The reason for the fault is they slotted Battier as the SF in 100% of the 5 man units Miami played.

But this makes sense. At times LeBron looked a step slow defensively last year. This year he needs a lot more quickness to cover teammates mistakes, and more than likely defend the PGs and SGs even more than prior seasons. It will also help prolong his career and take pressure off his knees.

JdKing7
08-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Long-sleeve shirts make people look skinny so I couldn't tell much difference. I hope he maintains his powerful force while playing. I agree with kobe4thewinbang. James' jump shot isn't the most reliable in the league.

Yeah you can't really get an accurate judgement when someone is wearing long sleeves. I think that his face is noticeably thinner though. I could be wrong and it could just be in my head.

ewing
08-05-2014, 11:10 PM
i dont think slimming down a little would effect bron ability to be a power player. He is a mismatch for everyone inside and out regardless. I did always think playing off the ball more maximized some of his athleticism but the attention he draws with the ball has often been more beneficial for his team

AntiG
08-05-2014, 11:13 PM
most NBA small forwards, heck most "power" forwards are thin as rails anyway. I don't think this will really make a difference.

JordansBulls
08-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Luol Deng was putting fear into him that's why.

bucketss
08-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Luol Deng was putting fear into him that's why.

just let it go dude.

ThuglifeJ
08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
This is kind of strange. I've never really seen or expected a player like him to go slim. It could just be the picture but he looks different.. Returning home can have an effect on your psychology too...maybe he's trying to relive his past when people liked him? Seriously.

side note, does Lebron and the NBA guys nowadays really post whack *** selfies like this all the time? Smh

FlashBolt
08-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Idk, this is probably a risk he has to take. He's at his absolute prime, though. I would give another year or two before I start making a transition such as losing weight. We all know physically, LeBron is probably the most gifted athlete of our generation and if not, the greatest athlete of all time. He isn't a really great shooter (KD type shooting) so I expect his percentage to drop. Hopefully it pans out well, though. He relies a lot on his upper body strength and losing 10-15 pounds might make him guard-able.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-05-2014, 11:42 PM
He's getting older so he has to change his playing style.

FlashBolt
08-05-2014, 11:43 PM
This is kind of strange. I've never really seen or expected a player like him to go slim. It could just be the picture but he looks different.. Returning home can have an effect on your psychology too...maybe he's trying to relive his past when people liked him? Seriously.

side note, does Lebron and the NBA guys nowadays really post whack *** selfies like this all the time? Smh

Lol, just stop the pure garbage coming out of your mind. Kobe, Duncan, and Allen himself have lost lots of weight. He's following them so he can prolong his career. Yet, you're trying to make this even more than it is. The fact is, the game today is much more physically imposing than it ever was. It's a quicker and more athletic game which involves more energy. That's why teams choose to play small - they get quickness. Every player is doing it for a reason. He has nutritionists and trainers who probably get paid in the high six figures to figure out his proper regime.

seikou8
08-05-2014, 11:48 PM

lol or he felt lil on the heavy side and had shed some weight to give his knees a break as he gets older he looked a step slow not as explosive last season.

goingfor28
08-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Yeah you can't really get an accurate judgement when someone is wearing long sleeves. I think that his face is noticeably thinner though. I could be wrong and it could just be in my head.
His hat is also about 6 sizes too big

*Silver&Black*
08-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Off the juice

seems legit.

No need to be a tank when you knew you were teaming up with Love before the off-season, as this whole thing (giving the Cavs the top pick) was planned. *conspiracy*

*Silver&Black*
08-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Lebron's size is what made Lebron the unstoppable player. Who does he think he is, Kobe?

jaydubb
08-06-2014, 12:43 AM
How'd he lose all that muscle so fast...? :confused:

Seriously tho, I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he went off the roids.. Interesting to see how his body reacts this upcoming year

WadeCounty
08-06-2014, 12:55 AM
it's to cut down on the muscle mass that causes him to get cramps

mrblisterdundee
08-06-2014, 02:26 AM
LeBron's stated before that he never thought of himself as primarily a scorer. I can see him slimming down and becoming even more of a point forward like Magic. But I wish he would have warned us. I miss the raging bull in a china shop look.
It's quite likely that Love will be the primary scorer on the Cavaliers. I think LeBron will still be the second-highest, unless he tries to average a triple double.

nimzboy
08-06-2014, 02:43 AM
If you saw the instagram pic of him you can see he didnt lose much weight. 10 pounds, mostly fat Im going to bet

Big Zo
08-06-2014, 04:12 AM
If you saw the instagram pic of him you can see he didnt lose much weight. 10 pounds, mostly fat Im going to bet

Haven't seen his instagram pic, but he definitely looks slimmer here:
http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/big-buzz/lebron-james-loses-weight-080514

FraziersKnicks
08-06-2014, 05:11 AM
And this is what he looked like about a month ago: http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lebron-james-tire-workout.png

People need to stop putting so much emphasis on one picture :laugh2:

Even if he has shed a few pounds, it'll help keep him dominant for longer as he wants to stay healthy and give his knees a break. Being the best basketball player in the world you know he's got some incredible trainers and fitness guys behind him so if he has done this you know it's only to better himself.

EDIT: Just seen this, if he's lost any weight it is minimal. He is still a tank https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10519737_10152626625998944_5178502126972965756_o.j pg

JustinTime
08-06-2014, 06:46 AM
This guy was definitely juicing in Miami no question. He used to look like Wiggins in high school.

PurpleLynch
08-06-2014, 06:51 AM
This will prolong his career,it's a smart move. Plus Love's deal is almost complete,so he won't play as PF probably.

NYKnickFanatic
08-06-2014, 09:18 AM
People need to stop with the "he's off the juice" bull-ish.

Like really? Holy dick...

NYKnickFanatic
08-06-2014, 09:19 AM
This guy was definitely juicing in Miami no question. He used to look like Wiggins in high school.

Your body does develop as you get older...

FlashBolt
08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
JustinTime is really comparing someone transitioning from High School to a 29 year old grown man. Even in HS, he was 6"8 240.. He was big to begin with. Unless you're suggesting he has been juicing since he was 17, you're just delusional. And juicing doesn't turn you into a freakish athlete of LeBron James caliber... It helps but you'd have to have something to begin with if you're that good. He's actually the same figure in Cleveland as well.. Btw, if he was juicing, why would he stop now? It led him to great success, didn't it?

colinskik
08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
meh, i think that stupid hat just made his face seem tiny. i'm sure he'll still be a beast next year.

FlashBolt
08-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I don't think this is a good idea for LeBron. He's just not a really consistent shooter and could use another year or two to adjust his game before actually toning down. He's still relatively young at this point. Maybe he's trying to be more passive than ever and going after an even more Magic type role? Only explanation for this. With Love/Kyrie there along with Waiters, scoring isn't really needed as much as finding the open man to score.