PDA

View Full Version : Spurs hire Becky Hammon as an assistant coach

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Pop: “I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff,” said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “Having observed her working with our team this past season, I’m confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs.”

SPURSFAN1
08-05-2014, 01:02 PM
:clap:

Chronz
08-05-2014, 01:02 PM
I know we should be focusing on her skills as a player and possible benefits from having her on the sideline, but I just want to say, I've always thought she was fine as hell, not just by WNBA standards but overall.

unleashthebeast
08-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Only the Spurs would make a hire such as this. It will definitely be interesting, wish her the best of luck

Clippersfan86
08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Only the Spurs would make a hire such as this. It will definitely be interesting, wish her the best of luck

Actually the Clippers were the first this year to do this.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/natalie-nakase-breaking-barriers

Sure it was summer league, but it's dumb to just chalk it up to the Spurs being visionaries or something.

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Breaking down barriers... I think it's great. If Becky wants to land a HC job in the WNBA some day (or maybe somewhere else), I'm sure this would catapult her chances.

There was a video of her learning "The Spurs way" a few months ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xZPeiAHjFc&feature=youtu.be

mjt20mik
08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
I know we should be focusing on her skills as a player and possible benefits from having her on the sideline, but I just want to say, I've always thought she was fine as hell, not just by WNBA standards but overall.

Agreed.. wonder what Tony thinks of this lol

kdspurman

Sure it was summer league, but it's dumb to just chalk it up to the Spurs being visionaries or something.

Didn't even realize, but as you said, Summer league is very different :)

kdspurman
Agreed.. wonder what Tony thinks of this lol

He did just re-marry, so now is the time for him to act up. I think that's the process

Clippersfan86
08-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree with Chronz though. Once I saw her pic on an article regarding this... I immediately looked up if she was a lesbian and was disappointed to find out she was (as if this somehow improves my odds if she wasn't hahahaha). She's pretty damn fine, especially for her age.

MonroeFAN
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Well hopefully they don't give her too much power.

mjt20mik
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM
I agree with Chronz though. Once I saw her pic on an article regarding this... I immediately looked up if she was a lesbian and was disappointed to find out she was (as if this somehow improves my odds if she wasn't hahahaha). She's pretty damn fine, especially for her age.

aww man

ManRam
08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
That's pretty dope. I went to a Liberty game back in HS at MSG and fell in love with her instantly. Good for her!

JasonJohnHorn
08-05-2014, 01:29 PM

I felt the same way when the Knicks hire Fisher. I was like, I should focus on his credentials, but FAWK, he is HOT!!!

JasonJohnHorn
08-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Kudos to Hammon for breaking the barrier, and kudos to the Spurs for having the foresight to do this. I hope the players offer her the respect they would any other assistant coach, that other teams pursue her as they have other Spurs assistant coaches, and that this opens up the door for other female coaches, many of whom are more than qualified for the job.

mudvayne387
08-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Let's hit the showers !

Chronz
08-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Wait shes a lesbo? U sure shes not just bi?

goingfor28
08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Pop gonna hit that

Jetsguy
08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Somebody has to make meals for the team on the road :rimshot:

On a serious note it is cool to see, hopefully she can bring a new dynamic and perspective to the team and maybe one day the league.

Clippersfan86
08-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Okay I just read that the 01-02 Cabs actually had the first female assistant coach. People will do anything to write a storylol.

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Okay I just read that the 01-02 Cabs actually had the first female assistant coach. People will do anything to write a storylol.

You think that's why the Spurs hired her? Or did I misinterpret that

Mr.B
08-05-2014, 02:25 PM

In 2010 The Texas Legends of the NBDL hired Nancy Lieberman to coach the team. She was the head coach for about 2 years. She was the first woman to coach a men's professional team.

torocan
08-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Or maybe both teams could be trail blazers and visionary.

And Pops doing the hiring is about as perfect as it gets... On some teams it would be discounted as a gimmick. With Pops, if he says she knows her stuff, who are we to argue?

That glass ceiling may have just cracked a bit more...

AlexTmz2
08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Love it! :clap:

pacofunk64
08-05-2014, 02:59 PM
The CAVS hired a female like 10 years ago so the CAVS were waaaaaaay a head of everyone.

torocan
08-05-2014, 03:03 PM
The CAVS hired a female like 10 years ago so the CAVS were waaaaaaay a head of everyone.

Boyer was a volunteer and unpaid for the season.

Hammon is the first female PAID assistant coach for the regular season.

JPHX
08-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Will Silver add aprons to the coaches dress code?

pacofunk64
08-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Boyer was a volunteer and unpaid for the season.

Hammon is the first female PAID assistant coach for the regular season.

Thanks for clarifying this.

pacofunk64
08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
No offense to Hammons but she knows nothing about the mens game. I feel it was a publicity gesture by the Spurs. I don't hate the fact that they did it but you can't tell me there aren't more qualified candidates out there.

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 03:17 PM
No offense to Hammons but she knows nothing about the mens game. I feel it was a publicity gesture by the Spurs. I don't hate the fact that they did it but you can't tell me there aren't more qualified candidates out there.

You think the Spurs would do something for publicity? That's a first...

But yea, FWIW, she spent a lot of time last year with the team. It's not necessarily about knowing "the mens game" it's about knowing the game of basketball and having a good head on your shoulders. Pop is the best in the business at teaching and developing. If anything, this will open up some opportunities for her down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xZPeiAHjFc&feature=youtu.be

torocan
08-05-2014, 03:17 PM

If you knew the Spurs you would know that the Spurs are never about publicity. They hate doing media interviews, and they're only concerned about winning. They're also the reigning Champs.

On many other franchises you could question whether it's a publicity stunt... the Spurs are one of the few teams in sports where it's never a question.

If Gregg Popovich thinks she's the most qualified candidate available, most serious NBA fans will give her the benefit of the doubt.

lamzoka
08-05-2014, 03:37 PM

This is exactly how I feel.

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 03:57 PM
If you knew the Spurs you would know that the Spurs are never about publicity. They hate doing media interviews, and they're only concerned about winning. They're also the reigning Champs.

On many other franchises you could question whether it's a publicity stunt... the Spurs are one of the few teams in sports where it's never a question.

If Gregg Popovich thinks she's the most qualified candidate available, most serious NBA fans will give her the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously. I'm surprised people actually think that at all

2-ONE-5
08-05-2014, 04:12 PM

1. summer league doesnt count
2. ESPN corrected this and noted the Cavs did it in 2001

kdspurman
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
1. summer league doesnt count
2. ESPN corrected this and noted the Cavs did it in 2001

Cavs did it, but the only difference was she was being paid by the Rockers (Clevelands' WNBA team)

Either way, it's still pretty cool.

NBA_Starter
08-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Good news here. Some sites are reproting it and not even saying her name in the title, I wish they would show a little respect.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2014, 11:53 PM
She's so hott..

Kashmir13579
08-05-2014, 11:55 PM
I know we should be focusing on her skills as a player and possible benefits from having her on the sideline, but I just want to say, I've always thought she was fine as hell, not just by WNBA standards but overall. dude I totally agree she actually had me watching liberty games..

Cromedome
08-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Keith Hernandez doesn't approve.

2-ONE-5
08-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Cavs did it, but the only difference was she was being paid by the Rockers (Clevelands' WNBA team)

Either way, it's still pretty cool.

yea ESPN this monring said Spurs are the first to hire a female full-time. Not familiar with that went on in Clevland back then at all

ATX
08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Is this supposed to be funny or just obnoxious?

True Sports Fan
08-06-2014, 10:40 AM

:facepalm:

sammyvine
08-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Is she a lesbian?

Lakerfan32
08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately coaching is becoming less and less about X's and o's and more about being able to motivate and inspire young players. Just from what I see, players are getting to the point where they don't listen because they have a hundred million dollar contact and are the face of the franchise and lots of good coaches get fired due to prima Donna players.

How this applies is, she may be good. She may be able to fit in in a classy organization like San Antonio. She won't have any future in the nba Just because it's filled with disrespectful people. They need PJ and rings. Just don't see players letting a female bark orders at then on tv

JayW_1023
08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Oh, Becky knows her X's and O's. This is a great hire.

Utd7
08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
She's sexy.

TheSilentBang
08-11-2014, 03:36 AM
Lol they hired her after this?

http://www.popnsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Becky-Hammon-blowjob-tweet.jpg

I hope the Spurs players remember that and challenge her to a game ^^.

amos1er
08-11-2014, 03:53 AM

http://www.popnsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Becky-Hammon-blowjob-tweet.jpg

I hope the Spurs player remember that and challenge her to a game ^^.

Looks like she might be doing up the entire team.

WOwolfOL
08-11-2014, 02:44 PM

I hope the Spurs player remember that and challenge her to a game ^^.
Lmao that's awesome

torocan
08-11-2014, 03:14 PM

I hope the Spurs players remember that and challenge her to a game ^^.

Um, you do realize that's a fake tweet from a satirical website?

http://www.empiresports.co/wnba-star-becky-hammon-says-shell-give-blowjob-to-anyone-that-beats-her-in-horse/

I guess what's more scary is people thinking that this was real... if Hammon really did tweet something like that, she'd be facing suspensions, a media firestorm, etc.

It's amazing what people think is real... :facepalm: