PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #3 SG In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
08-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

2014 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings
1) James Harden
2) Dwayne Wade
3)
4)
5)

2013 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) James Harden
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Paul George
5) Manu Ginobili
6) JR Smith
7) Tony Allen
8) Joe Johnson
9) Klay Thompson
10) Vince Carter

2012 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Manu Ginobili
4) James Harden
5) Joe Johnson
6) Monta Ellis
7) Eric Gordon
8) Paul George
9) Kevin Martin
10) Ray Allen

2011 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Dwyane Wade
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Manu Ginobili
4) Joe Johnson
5) Monta Ellis
6) Kevin Martin
7) Ray Allen
8) Eric Gordon
9) Jason Terry
10) James Harden

2010 Off-Season SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Manu Ginobili
6) Monta Ellis
7) Ray Allen
8) Stephen Jackson
9) O.J. Mayo
10) Jason Richardson

2009 Off-Season SG Rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Vince Carter
6) Manu Ginobili
7) Ray Allen
8) Kevin Martin
9) Ben Gordon
10) Richard Hamilton

2008 Off-Season SG rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Tracy McGrady
4) Allen Iverson
5) Manu Ginobili
5) Vince Carter
7) Joe Johnson
8) Ray Allen
9) Brandon Roy
10) Kevin Martin

ManRam
08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I just made a post in the #2 thread. I'll clean it up a bit. But Dragic should have been #2 IMO.

Someone mentioned that he "lead a team to the lottery last year" as if that was something bad. The Suns won 48 games in the West with him as "the guy". Moreover, Bledsoe missed a ton of time. It was a remarkable feat. No one thought the Suns would be half as good. That's just a preposterous way to discredit him. They had as good of a record as Toronto, and again, they did it in the West and he arguably had less help than DeRozan (who wasn't even the best player on his team last year).

He was better individually than Wade, played more and was the lead option on a team that won just 6 fewer games out West on a team without LeBron. That's again hugely impressive. I don't think Wade carries that roster as far as Dragic did last year. And health matters.

Yes, his defense is poor. Same goes for Wade and DeRozan, and Dragic more than makes up for it offensively. Both sides matter, but offense matters more for guards.

Dragic beat all these guys out in RPM, WAR, WS, WS/48 and so on. He scored the most points. He averaged the most assists. He had the highest TS% and eFG%. He had by far the highest ORtg. He nearly doubled Wade's win shares.

Klay gets a ton of love for his shooting, but Dragic hardly shot any worse than him from three and a lot of that didn't come off of catch-and-shoots, something that Klay lives on. 7.6 of Klay's shots a game were just catch-and-shoots, ranking 1st in the league...Dragic is at just 2.3 (210th). He creates a lot more for himself on better efficiency.

Chronz
08-04-2014, 11:32 AM
****, has it really been 7 years? Man, feels like yesterday I was making a case for Tmac here. Any way I can go back and look at how optimistic I still was for him.

I Rock Shaqs
08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Demar Derozan averaged 23/4/4 as the arguably best player on a 48 win team that made the playoffs and won their division.
Also made the all star team.

DR_1
08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Nvm

Chronz
08-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Demar Derozan averaged 23/4/4 as the arguably best player on a 48 win team that made the playoffs and won their division.

Yeah but hes also easily dislodged in the post, isn't really producing at an All-Star rate historically. Hes definitely coming up soon, but Dragic wins this pretty easily

ManRam
08-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Dragic averaged 20-6-4 as the unquestionable best player on a 48 win team that would have made the playoffs had they not played in a far superior conference and division. His team went 20-10 vs. the East.
Also made the Third-Team All-NBA.

dalton749
08-04-2014, 01:04 PM
as long as demar and dragic are the next 2 this is good
voted demar because i see dragic as more of a point guard
(these 2 would never guard each other)

True Rocket
08-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Goran Dragic

flea
08-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't really see how Dragic didn't get #2 because I think he's pretty close to Harden, but whatever. Looks like he'll go now.

FlashBolt
08-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Lance Stephenson

unleashthebeast
08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeah I'm definitely comfortable with going Dragic here

TrueFan420
08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Dragic should be in the PG list

flea
08-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Dragic should be in the PG list

Why? He's the SG of his team. Being 6'4 doesn't mean you're a PG, nor does having superior distributing skills. Was Kobe a PG? Or Harden? Then neither is Dragic.

TrueFan420
08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Why? He's the SG of his team. Being 6'4 doesn't mean you're a PG, nor does having superior distributing skills. Was Kobe a PG? Or Harden? Then neither is Dragic.

The suns played a two PG system. He played off the ball at times but that was cause he could shoot much better than Bledsoe. When Bledsoe was out injured he was the sole PG.

North Yorker
08-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Because he spent 62% of his time playing PG?

flea
08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Because he spent 62% of his time playing PG?

According to what measure? Who he was guarding, or when he was bringing it up the floor? Like I said, Harden handles most ballhandling duties on his team. Kobe did. Michael did. Are all of them PG too?

Goose17
08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Klay Thompson. Blah Blah I'm a homer whatever **** you.

alexander_37
08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Dragon then Derozan.

THE MTL
08-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Horrible choice I can't believe Wade got number 2. He was not the second best SG in the league last year. Not at all. Derozan even should have gone

FlashBolt
08-05-2014, 12:12 AM
The fact that Wade got SG speaks of the low tier of SG's compared to other positions. When Harden is the best SG by far, you have a problem. Heck, someone who takes 1/3rd of the regular season off while clearly not being his prime self can be voted #2? I think from #1-3, SG lacks competition while the other SG's are basically 4-8. Look at other positions in basketball.

SF:
LeBron
Durant
Carmelo
Paul George

PG:
Chris Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Rose?

PF:
Anthony Davis
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
LaMarcus Aldridge

C:
DeMarcus Cousins?
Dwight Howard
Noah
Marc Gasol
Brook Lopez

I just think the SG position is very watered down. Don't get me wrong - the C position doesn't look that great either but if you think about it, you can make a solid case for Dwight, Noah, Marc, and before he got injured, Brook Lopez was probably the best offensive center in NBA. SG position is really just Harden and anyone else can fall into the #4-8 position because they aren't really worthy of being #2 best SG. Not to mention the fact that Harden doesn't even play defense! How can you be the best player of a position when you are notoriously ridiculed for your defense (represents 50% of the game)? Because other SG's suck! Maybe this has to do with the fact that many players shouldn't be two-guards and should be true PG's instead? Idk but SG's have been notoriously the weakest of all positions.

Sadds The Gr8
08-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Dragic shoulda easily been 2.

TheSilentBang
08-05-2014, 05:03 AM
How in the world did Dragic not get #2? No offense but is this forum really that incompetent? Dwayne Wade? Seriously?

Goose17
08-05-2014, 05:19 AM
How in the world did Dragic not get #2? No offense but is this forum really that incompetent? Dwayne Wade? Seriously?

Did you vote?

TheSilentBang
08-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Did you vote?
Unfortunately no. I wasn't on here when the polling was going on for that.

I saw people bickering about whether or not Dragic is a PG but since Horancek has taken over, Bledsoe or Thomas will be the Suns PG and Dragic will be SG barring injury to Bledsoe or Thomas.

Besides Dragic is just a better overall player than Wade regardless of whether he's a PG, SG, or C.

ManRam
08-06-2014, 11:11 AM

I saw people bickering about whether or not Dragic is a PG but since Horancek has taken over, Bledsoe or Thomas will be the Suns PG and Dragic will be SG barring injury to Bledsoe or Thomas.

Besides Dragic is just a better overall player than Wade regardless of whether he's a PG, SG, or C.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that as is, Dragic is gonna get the bulk of his time at the 2. He played both last year, perhaps more time at the point (because Bledsoe was hurt so much) but I'd bet a ton of money that he logs the vast majority of his time in a "shooting guard" role this upcoming season. For that reason, I consider him a 2. Thomas and Bledsoe are more suited for the point/less suited at the 2 than Dragic. Plain and simple.

TodWilkinson
08-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Monta Ellis plays mostly SG. He's pretty good I think.

Goran Dragic is point guard. I don't think he's every played SG.

TodWilkinson
08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Dragic is not better than wade. Whoa, calm down there. I know you're trying to hype lebron evermore, but Dragic is a 6'2 pg that has had one good season.

Wade barely trying averaged 19, 5, 5 on 54% shooting.. Did he even ever break a sweat?

sixers247
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
TodWilkenson, what do you think about Patrick Ewing?

bgdreton
08-06-2014, 04:31 PM
TodWilkenson, what do you think about Patrick Ewing?

Lol leave it alone haha

Goose17
08-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Very good point... or...

TheSilentBang
08-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Except for all the games in which him and Bledsoe played together.....

Dragic is not better than wade. Whoa, calm down there. I know you're trying to hype lebron evermore, but Dragic is a 6'2 pg that has had one good season.

Wade barely trying averaged 19, 5, 5 on 54% shooting.. Did he even ever break a sweat?
Wasn't Wade scared of breaking every bone in his body so they rested him for like a ton of games? And he still managed to get hurt?

Dragic put up more points than Wade on WAY better efficiency. And Dragic didn't have LeBron on his team to draw away all the attention from the defense.

I don't think anyone that understands basketball would think that Wade, at his age, is actually better than Dragic.

In before someone says that Kobe is also better than Dragic. And maybe T-Mac and Vince Carter as well.