PDA

View Full Version : Should the Pacers take a page from the Spurs book and tank just for one year?

LTBaByyy
08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I still say Pacers could get 7-8 seed with great coaching in Vogel and if other players step up.

BUT if Pacers were smart they would pull a Spurs (David Robinson injury) and tank hard to get a top pick in the draft (Tim Duncan) and get back to being contenders with a healthy Paul George and a 1-3 overall pick

kdspurman
08-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.

Chronz
08-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.

You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.

Goose17
08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.

kdspurman
08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.

I knew Nique was good that year for sure, even at like 37 years of age. Probably a big reason why they even got 20 wins. But he wasn't in a position in his career to do the heavy lifting for a full season. Elliott also missed half the season. But yea, very Cleveland style.

Chaotic98
08-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.

The East is pretty well rounded, not as talent deep as the west, but there's a lot of parity between the teams minus the Sixers, Bucks Celtics and Magic. Without arguably their top 2 players from last year both offensively and defensively, they most likely miss the playoffs with this current roster. They will probably finish 10th in the East, which would be hindrance to their development as they might a 7-9th pick.

Personally I would trade West, Hibbert and Hill for expiring contracts, first rounders if possible, and some young players to build around Paul George. I would think the Knicks might be a good trade partner, minus the first rounders, they can get expiring contracts like Amare or Bargs and a Hardaway and/or Shumpert for West Hibbert, + some fillers. Then the Pacers can try and land a good FA next year to build around George, and get a better chance to pick higher in the draft, while getting some younger players with potential.

If they don't try and rebuild via the draft next year they might end up worse than Cleavland when LBJ left. The Cavs at least got some solid picks when LBJ returned, the Pacers will only get older when George returns and his first year back he might not be at top form.

NBA_Starter
08-02-2014, 09:43 PM
They may as well, they were not going to win it all as they are constructed now anyway.

likemystylez
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola

NBA_Starter
08-02-2014, 10:29 PM
naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola

Trade West to the Hornets. :hope::cool:

SILVER SEAVER
08-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.

SILVER SEAVER
08-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Trade West to the Hornets. :hope::cool:

West's value would be so high if he was on the block. Any contender would love to have him. Don't be surprised if Jordan takes a good long look as insurance for Jefferson.

JEDean89
08-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.

no but Jahlil would be Roy Hibbert 10.0, Mudiay would be glorious next to George, so would Cliff Alexander. I like next years draft a lot, hopefully though the tanking thing won't matter with the new lottery odds. I don't see the Pacers being a playoff team anymroe.

Saddletramp
08-03-2014, 02:33 AM
As much as I've never really liked David West (the guy is always scowling like he wants to just punch everybody on the court), I can't help but admit he'd be great as the Rockets PF. Maybe the Pelicans protected first and DMo or Capella? (Honestly, I don't know how this Capella guy is so that might not be an option).

But yeah, with the Cavs taking a spot and the Knicks potentially moving up, and nobody else on the team being above and beyond to carry the team, I'd probably have a fire sale and start building for the future. If they try to win, I'd tell Hibbert that it's on him and just let him work. It'll make or break him.

benny01
08-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Hibbert's deal is just as big a problem as before George's injury. So yeah they should look to rebuild but they still need to find an idiot to take Hibbert.

lkingratedr
08-03-2014, 03:25 AM
they should trade west and hill to the knicks for stat a player say shumpert and pick play stat 30 mins a night then when stat knees go out have a second disabled player exception lol

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Pacers need to trade Hibbert, West, Hill for young players/picks and expiring's. My suggestion would be Hibbert to Lakers for expiring Nash and Randle. That's probably a quick no for the Lakers though. Or Hibbert to Celtics for Wallace and Smart.

THE MTL
08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Idk if they can trade Hibbert but they should trade West for sure. By the time the Pacers are ready to compete again. I'm saying at least 2 years, he'll be too old

JasonJohnHorn
08-03-2014, 10:34 AM
They lost Granger.
They lost Stephenson.
They lost George.

I don't think it is a matter of 'tanking' at this point. It is a matter of 'we don't have any good fawking scorers'.

They aren't going to 'tank'. They are simply going to lose a lot of game because they are bad.

No disrespect to West, Hibbert and Hill, but they simply aren't enough to pull this off. Can they make the playoffs? I dunno... the East is better. If Rose is healthy, you have the Bulls, the Heat and the Cavs are going to be solid, while the Wizards, Hawks, Bobcats and Raptors are all in good enough shape to play as well this years as last. That leaves two spots. Knicks? Philly? Detroit? Bucks? Somebody has to get better this year.

It will be hard.

Manimal
08-03-2014, 10:59 AM
This team was 12-13 the last two months of the season with PG and Lance. I don't think they win more than 30 games with their roster as it stands.

Would be better off trading West and Hill and getting what they can. Hold on to Hibbert now, see how they start 2015.

BALLER R
08-03-2014, 11:41 AM
They lost Granger.
They lost Stephenson.
They lost George.

I don't think it is a matter of 'tanking' at this point. It is a matter of 'we don't have any good fawking scorers'.

They aren't going to 'tank'. They are simply going to lose a lot of game because they are bad.

No disrespect to West, Hibbert and Hill, but they simply aren't enough to pull this off. Can they make the playoffs? I dunno... the East is better. If Rose is healthy, you have the Bulls, the Heat and the Cavs are going to be solid, while the Wizards, Hawks, Bobcats and Raptors are all in good enough shape to play as well this years as last. That leaves two spots. Knicks? Philly? Detroit? Bucks? Somebody has to get better this year.

It will be hard.

Most importantly their defense will not be as good without those two.

todu82
08-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I agree, an off year could be just what the team needs.

Saddletramp
08-03-2014, 12:49 PM
They lost Granger.
They lost Stephenson.
They lost George.

It will be hard.

That makes seven. I'd imagine it's either going to be Detroit or, more likely, the Knicks. The Bucks and Philly? Not very likely.

JasonJohnHorn
08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
That makes seven. I'd imagine it's either going to be Detroit or, more likely, the Knicks. The Bucks and Philly? Not very likely.

Damn! My math is bad... lol.
I agree.. Bucks and Philly aren't likely, but I'm curious... of MCW reduces his TO and increased his FG%, he is an All-Star, They are adding two first rounders this year (though one will miss much of the season), and Noel is coming on board too... so that is like adding 3 first rounders, and their coach was the player development guy with the Spurs... so if there is anybody that can mould these players other than Pop and Duncan, it is likely the coach they have right now.

I still don't expect much, but I won't count them out either.

As for the bucks, I can't come up with anything there.... I dunno... maybe their pick this year will make a big impact, but given that they only won 15 games, he's have to lead them to 25+ game improvement... which not even Jordan or LBJ did.... so I won't hold my breath for that.

jacquewho?
08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
I know for a fact Bird won't support tanking...he never did those 2-3 years we had Dunleavy and Murphy leading the way with Granger. Always wanted to fight for the wins and was content picking between 10th and 14th.

I think Pacers make the playoffs as an 8 seed, but I also wouldn't mind being in a position to have a top 10 pick in next year's draft. It will be very interesting, and keep in mind David West and Roy Hibbert both have player options for next season. If Bird finds gold in the trade market I would fully expect him to pull the trigger, especially with D-West if we can get a 1st for him. Hibbert will be tricky but somehow maybe we could swing him for an expiring?

Regardless, I think the Pacers window has closed. When PG returns in 2015, he will be playing with a really different roster....but that's just my opinion as a Pacers fan.

NBA_Starter
08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
They need to try to get Okafor.

KnicksorBust
08-03-2014, 08:02 PM
They need to try to get Okafor.

Lol wut? They lose their best perimeter players and you think they need a backup big?

KnicksorBust
08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally I thought this was crazy but with West at the end of his prime this might be just what this team needs to come back strong for 2015-16. As a Knicks fan I would love to flip expiring STAT + prospect for Hibbert.

NBA_Starter
08-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Just tank baby!

NBA_Starter
08-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Lol wut? They lose their best perimeter players and you think they need a backup big?

Jahlil, they need to tank for him and dump Hibbert.

Munkeysuit
08-03-2014, 11:43 PM
I am not even going to pretend like the Pacers have a chance at a title without PG, BUT they are in a very weak Eastern conference that has seen some teams rise up, but those very teams altered their rosters a bit to the point where they still aren't sure they'll be in the playoffs this coming season...I think this is one of those things, we will just have to wait and see, I mean they can still make some trades so you never know.

IndyRealist
08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
As much as I've never really liked David West (the guy is always scowling like he wants to just punch everybody on the court), I can't help but admit he'd be great as the Rockets PF. Maybe the Pelicans protected first and DMo or Capella? (Honestly, I don't know how this Capella guy is so that might not be an option).

But yeah, with the Cavs taking a spot and the Knicks potentially moving up, and nobody else on the team being above and beyond to carry the team, I'd probably have a fire sale and start building for the future. If they try to win, I'd tell Hibbert that it's on him and just let him work. It'll make or break him.

The Pacers have no need of Motiejunas unless they move Hibbert. Terrence Jones would be a better offer, no idea what Capella can do.

ewing
08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
they won't need to tank

IndyRealist
08-04-2014, 09:07 AM
2015 free agency doesn't matter that much. It's 2016, when the cap explodes, that really matters. I doubt Hibbert gets moved or that he opts out. There's too much money in 2016 for anyone to go a year early by choice.

monty77
08-05-2014, 06:33 AM
No way!

This team have reach a high reputation in the league, it costs too much to be considered a winner team and they have no reason to tank next year in order to get a high pick in a draft which is not considered as good as the last one.

If you look at last year Pacers' roster, Hibbert, Paul George and Stephenson were the best players along with West. Those 3 players were selected by Pacers out of top 10 picks in the draft, so they should try to be competitive next year and let Hibbert improve his offensive skills. They could reach playoffs perfectly.

In my opinion, Bulls, Cavs, Miami, Wizards are the only teams which have playoffs spots guaranteed next year. There are teams like Nets, Knicks, Raptors, Bobcats and Pistons which are not better teams than George-less Pacers. Maybe the only difference about the roster should be West and Hill.

They could get young talented players or 20th-30th draft pick selections in return to this players this year. The best scenario in the beginning of 2015-16 season would be... Paul George healthy, Hibbert with offensive skills more developed, and 3 top 15-30 draft picks to complete the team with young role players for the future.

After proving they have a strong winning culture they will be no problem to add high quality veteran players to the roster next year, like they did last year with Scola, and this summer with Stuckey, who is one of the most underpaid players in the league.

When you tank many things can happen. If you are the worst team in the league you have more chances than anyone to get the first pick, but it rarely overpass 20% chances. Even if you get it, you never know whether this player will be a star player or not. Furthermore, as I said above, Pacers don't need high picks to succeed in the draft.

slashsnake
08-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Its a tough call.

The Spurs tanked and got Duncan. Had they gotten the 2nd pick instead of the first, they could have been getting Keith Van Horn. 6 out of the top 8 picks that year weren't good.

GREATNESS ONE
08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Next years draft isn't that bad and does have some talent. Plus the Pacers have taken some serious blows this off season.

#FreeCroonie

ponderingpluto
08-05-2014, 09:55 PM
As a Pacers fan, I feel we have no choice but to look forward to '15 and the return of PG. We basically have 3 trade assets in David West, Hibbert, and George Hill. Then the fillers are Scola, Stuckey, Copeland, Mahinmi, CJ Miles and CJ Watson

Two teams could benefit from our unfortunate tank and I think OKC and Boston stand the most to gain.
OKC Trade: David West and George Hill deal for Reggie Jackson, Lamb, Mitch Mcgary, Perry Jones, and 1st rd?BOS Trade: Hibbert for James Young, Pressey, Zeller, and 2 1st rd's. *add fillers where needed*

This would give us 4 1st rd picks and a promising young core for the epic return of KING GEORGE in '15

Chaotic98
08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
As a Pacers fan, I feel we have no choice but to look forward to '15 and the return of PG. We basically have 3 trade assets in David West, Hibbert, and George Hill. Then the fillers are Scola, Stuckey, Copeland, Mahinmi, CJ Miles and CJ Watson

Two teams could benefit from our unfortunate tank and I think OKC and Boston stand the most to gain.
OKC Trade: David West and George Hill deal for Reggie Jackson, Lamb, Mitch Mcgary, Perry Jones, and 1st rd?BOS Trade: Hibbert for James Young, Pressey, Zeller, and 2 1st rd's. *add fillers where needed*

This would give us 4 1st rd picks and a promising young core for the epic return of KING GEORGE in '15

Why would OKC want West or Hill? Jackson is better than Hill. Also, salaries coming back don't match
Why would Boston want Hibbert, they are rebuilding as well and he's not worth a first rounder on that contract let alone 2.

NBA_Starter
08-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Just Tank Baby!