PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual PSD Player Rankings #1 SG In The NBA? (Volume: VII)

Mile High Champ
08-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 7th year I have done this on PSD and it typically always makes for good deabte and often initates terrific discussion. Consider that when these polls first began, the likes of Baron Davis and Devin Harris were cracking these polls. Which player will you rank high this year that may get some raised eyebrows as the years pass by? Only time will tell. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs are NBA champions for the 5th time after getting some revenge for their finals loss last season to the Heat. We could be looking at the end of the big 3 era.

Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 6 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

For a player to be eligible for this years poll, they must of played in a minimum of 10 games.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best. Though we do recognize that some voters will vote based soley on potential and others by last years numbers.

2014 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

2013 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) James Harden
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Paul George
5) Manu Ginobili
6) JR Smith
7) Tony Allen
8) Joe Johnson
9) Klay Thompson
10) Vince Carter

2012 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Manu Ginobili
4) James Harden
5) Joe Johnson
6) Monta Ellis
7) Eric Gordon
8) Paul George
9) Kevin Martin
10) Ray Allen

2011 Off-Season PSD SG Rankings

1) Dwyane Wade
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Manu Ginobili
4) Joe Johnson
5) Monta Ellis
6) Kevin Martin
7) Ray Allen
8) Eric Gordon
9) Jason Terry
10) James Harden

2010 Off-Season SG Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwyane Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Manu Ginobili
6) Monta Ellis
7) Ray Allen
8) Stephen Jackson
9) O.J. Mayo
10) Jason Richardson

2009 Off-Season SG Rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Brandon Roy
4) Joe Johnson
5) Vince Carter
6) Manu Ginobili
7) Ray Allen
8) Kevin Martin
9) Ben Gordon
10) Richard Hamilton

2008 Off-Season SG rankings:

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Dwayne Wade
3) Tracy McGrady
4) Allen Iverson
5) Manu Ginobili
5) Vince Carter
7) Joe Johnson
8) Ray Allen
9) Brandon Roy
10) Kevin Martin

Mile High Champ
08-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Who you got?

Dade County
08-01-2014, 11:36 PM
When healthy Wade was the best sg in the league.

Something like 20/5/5 & over 50% shooting.

Ok, go on & hate now.

Bruno
08-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Harden. no other SG touches him offensively.

bucketss
08-01-2014, 11:43 PM
lol this should be good.

i'll go with harden due to injuries with kobe, and wades question marks on his health.

Kaner
08-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Harden. no other SG touches him offensively.

Or is as poor as him defensively, Paul George is an elite defender and very good offensively

Bruno
08-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Or is as poor as him defensively, Paul George is elite defensively and very good offensively in an otherwise inept offense

george has played SF for a long time. he might have been moved back to SG but I doubt that will ever happen now.

and none of these SGs are defensive stand outs either, with the exception to Klay.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-01-2014, 11:58 PM
When healthy Wade was the best sg in the league.

Something like 20/5/5 & over 50% shooting.

Ok, go on & hate now.

Now when was he healthy?

MagicBucsSox
08-02-2014, 12:02 AM
How is james no defense harden over joe Johnson, Klay, etc

alexander_37
08-02-2014, 12:26 AM

Because he is much better at basketball.

seikou8
08-02-2014, 12:37 AM
hate harden all you want but he is the best sg clearly

Dade County
08-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Now when was he healthy?

lol

Dade County
08-02-2014, 12:44 AM
If you guys are going to vote harden as the best sg, you might as well put Kobe up to vote, so the Laker fans can have fun.

Shammyguy3
08-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Really, Joe freaking Johnson?

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Wade and you'll see why this upcoming season.

THE MTL
08-02-2014, 02:18 AM
You know what I would still take a healthy Kobe at his current age over any SG in the league.

But in all fairness, the best SG of the 2014 season was James Harden and its not even close! I cast a unanimous ballot.

And Paul George is a small SF for the last time. Hasnt played SG in 2 years

Shammyguy3
08-02-2014, 02:28 AM
George is a small SF, bad typo there

6'11"

tredigs
08-02-2014, 02:33 AM
You know what I would still take a healthy Kobe at his current age over any SG in the league.

But in all fairness, the best SG of the 2014 season was James Harden and its not even close! I cast a unanimous ballot.

Give me the "Not even close!" argument for Harden over say - Goran Dragic - who has 0 votes.

Kaner
08-02-2014, 02:43 AM

If Wade actually steps up his game and shows he's been holding back for Lebron I'd be pissed as a heat fan about his showing in the Finals. He was probably the laziest defenders I've ever seen in a nba finals series.

Kaner
08-02-2014, 02:46 AM
george has played SF for a long time. he might have been moved back to SG but I doubt that will ever happen now.

and none of these SGs are defensive stand outs either, with the exception to Klay.

Yeah I was on my phone and didn't have the poll but saw him in last years so assumed he'd be an option again. If he's not than I'll go with Harden but Dragic and him are very close

Antipod
08-02-2014, 02:56 AM
when, if, what if ... best sg of the last season was Harden, period !

Minimal
08-02-2014, 06:26 AM
wade is better than harden offensively and defensively, you just people don't realize that yet, because wade was a second fiddle for a couple of years, just watch what happens next year.

DR_1
08-02-2014, 09:20 AM
wade is better than harden offensively and defensively, you just people don't realize that yet, because wade was a second fiddle for a couple of years, just watch what happens next year.

You should not disrespect Harden like that!

LTBaByyy
08-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Harden
Wade
Derozan
Dragic
Ellis
Stephenson
Beal
Thompson
Johnson
Manu
Crawford/Butler

THE MTL
08-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Give me the "Not even close!" argument for Harden over say - Goran Dragic - who has 0 votes.

You know I actually forgot Dragic played SG this season. I think he had zero votes because alot of us might have him in the PG category.

Either way is still Harden

HandsOnTheWheel
08-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Harden, though I think Wade deserves some consideration.

It's kind of up in the air whether Kobe will play at a superstar caliber level or not next year.

bgdreton
08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Harden
Wade
Derozan
Dragic
Ellis
Beal
Thompson
Johnson
Manu
Crawford/Butler

Lol Ellis so high... Dragic really shouldn't be an option bc he was a pg his entire career until the small suns backcourt this past yr. After wade should be Derozan or Thompson. Then Beal and the rest looks good.

mightybosstone
08-02-2014, 12:58 PM

Based on what exactly? Also, isn't this poll based on who the best player has been in recent seasons, not on who you think might hypothetically be the best player in the upcoming season? You're just being a homer and trying to mask it by claiming that you think there's a chance he MIGHT be better next year.

mightybosstone
08-02-2014, 01:01 PM

I think Dragic is the only guy you could make a remotely decent case for over Harden based on last season. Except my biggest problem with that is that Dragic played the majority of his minutes at PG and should have been considered for those polls and not this one.

Since we're clearly counting him in the wrong category and there's nothing we can do about it at this point, Dragic will definitely get my vote for the No. 2 SG in the league.

Goose17
08-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I would take Dragic over Harden every day. But Dragic is better suited at the point imho.

I'm voting for Klay. Because I'm a homer. Whatever, **** you.

bgdreton
08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I would take Dragic over Harden every day. But Dragic is better suited at the point imho.

I'm voting for Klay. Because I'm a homer. Whatever, **** you.

At least your honest... Lol

Seizabmc
08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Bradley beil.
Demar derozon

ManningToTyree
08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Harden by a mile. I'd still take a healthy wade or Kobe over him but since those don't exist anymore harden it is

FlashBolt
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
James Harden for now.. I think this list will look incredibly different in 2015.

Mr. Baller
08-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Harden then Wade. But good god SG is a **** show.

Iggz53
08-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I love how everyone ***** on James Harden for his defense and then hail guys like Kevin Love. Here's a thought: the youtube video of Harden's defensive mishaps don't happen EVERY POSSESSION. Yes, he can have absence seizures from time to time defensively, and he isn't a good defender period, but people are taking that video as though he does it every time down. And I guarantee you, a similar video can be made for Love.

Offensively, he's a force. His season (25 ppg/6 apg, 62 TS%) was easily superior to Wade's (19/5/59%), and Dragic's as well (20/6/60%). For how overrated people have claimed him to be, sure seems like he is getting underrated now. His numbers and impact on the Rockets are ridiculous.

IversonIsKrazy
08-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I guess based on last season, James Harden was the best. Hopefully Kobe comes back Big upcoming season!

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Based on what exactly? Also, isn't this poll based on who the best player has been in recent seasons, not on who you think might hypothetically be the best player in the upcoming season? You're just being a homer and trying to mask it by claiming that you think there's a chance he MIGHT be better next year.

Based on the facts of LeBron leaving meaning he will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time making plays and scoring, his pretty good numbers at a second option which he's first now, don't say Bosh is hell have more plays called for him now but if we need a bucket the ball will be in Wades hands, and the fact that he's already shed weight off looks slimmer and more cut and just came out saying in an article he's looking forward to the challenge of being the guy again and stated he's already in better shape than he was in for training camp last year right now and still not at his goal yet.

So based on those facts I have a hard time believing he won't be the best SG next year.

Don't bring up him not playing games last year, that won't happen this year.

No "homer" in me just going off these facts and what I've heard.

mightybosstone
08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Based on the facts of LeBron leaving meaning he will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time making plays and scoring, his pretty good numbers at a second option which he's first now, don't say Bosh is hell have more plays called for him now but if we need a bucket the ball will be in Wades hands, and the fact that he's already shed weight off looks slimmer and more cut and just came out saying in an article he's looking forward to the challenge of being the guy again and stated he's already in better shape than he was in for training camp last year right now and still not at his goal yet.
See, I would be fine with this as a basis for your argument except that Wade put up 26/6/5 his first year with Lebron in Miami and his numbers and minutes have dropped dramatically every year since. So it's clearly not Lebron that's holding Wade back. It's Wade. Even his points per 36 minutes dropped by four whole points in that four-year stretch, so it's not even an issue of him playing fewer minutes.

Wade could be the healthiest he's been in years and still won't come close to touching Harden's ridiculous offensive efficiency.

So based on those facts I have a hard time believing he won't be the best SG next year.

Except those aren't facts at all. They're assumptions. I could assume that Harden is going to put up 30 points and 8 assists a game next season because of the loss of Lin and Parsons, but that would be totally ignorant. Just because one player leaves does not mean another player is going to see a gigantic spike in production as a result.

FlashBolt
08-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Uhm, that is a homer statement from you.

1) Wade doesn't have James carrying him.
2) Wade being first option means more attention.
3) Wade played how many games last year? Oh, that's right.. He had to sit 33% of their regular season because he needed those days off. Let's see what happens when he gets NO days off.
4) Again, Wade wasn't the first option. He was also getting some really easy buckets off James presence. His scoring may go up but his FG% will go down. Also, I don't know if you have watched Wade play but whenever he does handle the ball, he makes some pretty stupid decisions. He gets lazy often and let's be honest, his defense is turning more and more alike to that of Harden.

I expect Bosh to have the bigger season than Wade because he actually has the opportunity to improve while Wade's window is shutting down.

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 09:54 PM
See, I would be fine with this as a basis for your argument except that Wade put up 26/6/5 his first year with Lebron in Miami and his numbers and minutes have dropped dramatically every year since. So it's clearly not Lebron that's holding Wade back. It's Wade. Even his points per 36 minutes dropped by four whole points in that four-year stretch, so it's not even an issue of him playing fewer minutes.

Wade could be the healthiest he's been in years and still won't come close to touching Harden's ridiculous offensive efficiency.

Except those aren't facts at all. They're assumptions. I could assume that Harden is going to put up 30 points and 8 assists a game next season because of the loss of Lin and Parsons, but that would be totally ignorant. Just because one player leaves does not mean another player is going to see a gigantic spike in production as a result.

26/6/5 when they didn't know who was the main guy that year. I'm just saying Wade is going to have a great year. I said it here first remember this post when I'm right.

Completely different role on the team now, everyone can keep on bringing up the past or whatever they need to do to try and disagree with me but when the season starts the numbers won't lie.

ManRam
08-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Glad Harden is winning convincing. Was worried that the attention to his terrible defense was starting to lead to severe underrating. His offensive game is leaps and bounds above the rest that he more than makes up for it. Still the cream of the crop. And Houston can essentially hide his defense with Bevs and Ariza, it's not gonna be too detrimental. And if anyone had a case over him last year it was Dragic, not Kobe, Wade, Klay and so on.

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Uhm, that is a homer statement from you.

1) Wade doesn't have James carrying him.
2) Wade being first option means more attention.
3) Wade played how many games last year? Oh, that's right.. He had to sit 33% of their regular season because he needed those days off. Let's see what happens when he gets NO days off.
4) Again, Wade wasn't the first option. He was also getting some really easy buckets off James presence. His scoring may go up but his FG% will go down. Also, I don't know if you have watched Wade play but whenever he does handle the ball, he makes some pretty stupid decisions. He gets lazy often and let's be honest, his defense is turning more and more alike to that of Harden.

I expect Bosh to have the bigger season than Wade because he actually has the opportunity to improve while Wade's window is shutting down.

Well see lol. Man I can't wait so many doubters.

Say what you need to say about to past but that's exactly what it is, the past. None of the stuff you just said changes the fact that he's shredding off weight and getting himself ready to be the guy again as he has stated. Less weight means less trouble on the knees. Don't start with the LeBron carrying him and all that stuff neither one of them wins either of those rings without the other.

About more attention being on him as first option hell be fine his played pretty much his whole career like that.

Also, your boy KD seems to be getting the hunch Wade is about to have a big year. "D-Wade will be back this season" -Kevin Durant

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Wade, Kobe, and Rose about to shut everyone up this year. It's going to be a great year in the NBA!

FlashBolt
08-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Well see lol. Man I can't wait so many doubters.

Say what you need to say about to past but that's exactly what it is, the past. None of the stuff you just said changes the fact that he's shredding off weight and getting himself ready to be the guy again as he has stated. Less weight means less trouble on the knees. Don't start with the LeBron carrying him and all that stuff neither one of them wins either of those rings without the other.

About more attention being on him as first option hell be fine his played pretty much his whole career like that.

Also, your boy KD seems to be getting the hunch Wade is about to have a big year. "D-Wade will be back this season" -Kevin Durant

You do realize Wade was shedding off weight at the exact time last year, right? Whatever you're reading, he's been shedding or trying to shed for years. This isn't the first year he's decided to cut down his weight. Neither of them win without the other but Wade wasn't as good as you think he was during those playoff runs. He had a really good game or a really bad game. I'm not sure whether you are just being biased but nothing tells me Wade is going to claim his throne as the #1 SG. His knee has been a problem for what? Three years now? And it still hasn't gotten better. It looked better since he took 33% of the games off but let's see him take 0 games off, 36 MPG as the first option, and oh yeah, play some defense. Dude doesn't even play defense because he was accustomed to saving his knee strength on the offensive end. He got lazy and pretty much just loses it defensively. Doesn't matter what KD thinks. It doesn't change the fact that Wade's knees and defense are never coming back. He's also a very bad shooter. Btw, if you know about Wade's history, you would know that he lives in the paint. Let's see if he has the ability to get to there this season.

WaDe03
08-02-2014, 11:58 PM
You do realize Wade was shedding off weight at the exact time last year, right? Whatever you're reading, he's been shedding or trying to shed for years. This isn't the first year he's decided to cut down his weight. Neither of them win without the other but Wade wasn't as good as you think he was during those playoff runs. He had a really good game or a really bad game. I'm not sure whether you are just being biased but nothing tells me Wade is going to claim his throne as the #1 SG. His knee has been a problem for what? Three years now? And it still hasn't gotten better. It looked better since he took 33% of the games off but let's see him take 0 games off, 36 MPG as the first option, and oh yeah, play some defense. Dude doesn't even play defense because he was accustomed to saving his knee strength on the offensive end. He got lazy and pretty much just loses it defensively. Doesn't matter what KD thinks. It doesn't change the fact that Wade's knees and defense are never coming back. He's also a very bad shooter. Btw, if you know about Wade's history, you would know that he lives in the paint. Let's see if he has the ability to get to there this season.

I'm sorry you feel this way. As I said we will see who's right or wrong when the season starts.

ManRam
08-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Wade, Kobe, and Rose about to shut everyone up this year. It's going to be a great year in the NBA!

We're talking 2014-15...not 2010-11...

Chronz
08-03-2014, 01:27 AM
I hope this guy is still around when Wade is missing games with knee soreness.

WaDe03
08-03-2014, 02:05 AM
I hope this guy is still around when Wade is missing games with knee soreness.

Don't worry I will be and I hope you're still here when he's going off this year.

Never said he would play 82 games but if I had to say I would say 70+ for sure.

Chronz
08-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Don't worry I will be and I hope you're still here when he's going off this year.

Never said he would play 82 games but if I had to say I would say 70+ for sure.

Cuz

Science?

Heres hoping Wade overcomes the odds against him tho :cheers: