PDA

View Full Version : Jaheml Binion (man with genetic disorder) suing Shaq, Trey Burke, Waka Flocka

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Jahmel Binion’s “selfie” on social media was mocked by NBA star Shaquille O’Neal, former Michigan star and Utah Jazz rookie Trey Burke and rapper Waka Flocka.

Now, the Warren man — who has a rare genetic disorder that affects his facial features — is suing them.

Binion, was mocked by the trio and his story went national earlier this year. On Wednesday, he filed a lawsuit in Macomb County Circuit Court seeking more than $25,000 in damages.

Binion took a picture of himself last summer and it was later mocked on social media. Binion then created an antibullying campaign Hug Dont Judge and a Facebook group page that took off.

Binion said O’Neal and Burke later called him to apologize and the trio posted apologies on Twitter. http://www.freep.com/article/20140730/NEWS04/307300217/1051/sports03

Not sure how to feel about this one. What Shaq did was pretty inexcusable, but at least Burke didn't know it was an actual person when he participated in the mocking. I know $25K is nothing for these guys, but they did all apologize, and Shaq even said they were friends now. Should Binion have just left it a that? He is just going for quick cash grab for something that should have been over and done with? I'm not really sure how you can sue for defamation when the only reason you are famous is because of the guys you are suing. Seems rather hypocritical.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 10:04 PM
feel bad for this Binion guy is all

its a douche move to make fun of this guy, and instead of suing the guy he should ask them to donate 25k to charity to fight this disorder

DemarDerozan
07-30-2014, 10:19 PM
I would expect this from punk kids like Burke and Flocka... But Shaq is a grown *** man. This dude might be deformed physically but Shaq is deformed mentally and will never know what it's like to be a reserved and mature person. Shaq is going to die as an overgrown child. **** him.

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 10:25 PM
I feel like I remember hearing about this month's ago. Maybe the law suit part is new.

Ariza's Better
07-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I feel like I remember hearing about this month's ago. Maybe the law suit part is new.
It is. I think everyone apologised and the kid accepted them at that was that.
I'm with the OP, I don't know how to feel about this.

beasted86
07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
I feel like the courts shouldn't award him a dime from them.

Its not illegal in this country to make fun of a person regardless of how despicable the actions seem. There is no defamation, because they didn't say anything they didn't believe to be true. What they provided was their opinion on his looks, they didn't present anything as fact.

If anything should happen, its the NBA or TNT that needs to suspend or fine these guys. This guy doesn't have any legal ground just from an outsiders view with what info we have, just looking for a cheap buck.

My opinion? This should just be settled out of court and they should just pay him since 25k is nothing between the 3 of them. But as a citizen who thinks the civil courts are getting out of hand in this country with what people are allowed to sue over, I want this case to fail if it gets to that point.

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2014, 10:52 PM
feel bad for this Binion guy is all

its a douche move to make fun of this guy, and instead of suing the guy he should ask them to donate 25k to charity to fight this disorder

The donating the 25K to charity is a good idea.

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2014, 10:54 PM
I would expect this from punk kids like Burke and Flocka... But Shaq is a grown *** man. This dude might be deformed physically but Shaq is deformed mentally and will never know what it's like to be a reserved and mature person. Shaq is going to die as an overgrown child. **** him.

Nah Shaq is a clown, I expect this from him. They actually said that Burke's apology was the most sincere and he really didn't know he was making fun of a real person if you buy that (I don't know if he thought it was Sloth from the Goonies or what?)

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2014, 11:04 PM
I feel like the courts shouldn't award him a dime from them.

Its not illegal in this country to make fun of a person regardless of how despicable the actions seem. There is no defamation, because they didn't say anything they didn't believe to be true. What they provided was their opinion on his looks, they didn't present anything as fact.

If anything should happen, its the NBA or TNT that needs to suspend or fine these guys. This guy doesn't have any legal ground just from an outsiders view with what info we have, just looking for a cheap buck.

My opinion? This should just be settled out of court and they should just pay him since 25k is nothing between the 3 of them. But as a citizen who thinks the civil courts are getting out of hand in this country with what people are allowed to sue over, I want this case to fail if it gets to that point.

I'm not so sure the position of what they said they believed it to be true is a valid defense against defamation. You can still get sued for defamation, even if what you say is completely true. When suing for defamation, you aren't necessarily suing on the grounds that what was said was untrue, but rather that what was said was brought to the knowledge of the public when that person didn't want that thing to be publicly know.

But I do agree with you that the frivolous lawsuits are getting out of hand. I mean were they even the only 3 people that made fun of him, or does he only care to sue the 3 people that just happen to have money?

IDunknown
07-31-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm not so sure the position of what they said they believed it to be true is a valid defense against defamation. You can still get sued for defamation, even if what you say is completely true. When suing for defamation, you aren't necessarily suing on the grounds that what was said was untrue, but rather that what was said was brought to the knowledge of the public when that person didn't want that thing to be publicly know.

But I do agree with you that the frivolous lawsuits are getting out of hand. I mean were they even the only 3 people that made fun of him, or does he only care to sue the 3 people that just happen to have money?

Then he still won't win, because they used a picture that he put online.