PDA

View Full Version : Adam Silver trying to change the lottery, 76ers trying to stop them

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 06:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11284856/philadelphia-76ers-fighting-nba-push-change-lottery-system

the first and 2nd worst teams haven't won the top pick in the draft in 10 years, yet silver wants to make it even harder for the worst teams in the league to rebuild

Raidaz4Life
07-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Good, why don't we retract them while we are at it.

FriedTofuz
07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Tankadelphia is a poor franchise promoting losing culture and tanking.
They wont be good anytime soon. I see them making the playoffs maybe 3-4 years from now.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Good, why don't we retract them while we are at it.

funny how everyone but the sixers and sixers fans hates the way the sixers are tanking

there are only two ways of being championship contenders in the nba (only option 1 if you are a small market team):

1. suck so bad, acquire top pick and hit on a franchise player, usually have to suck 2-3 years to acquire enough talent

2. be a large market that attracts top FAs and sign them (miami big 3, boston big 3, etc)

most teams fails #1, because they are impatient

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 07:01 PM
They wont be good anytime soon. I see them making the playoffs maybe 3-4 years from now.

read post below you, the 76ers before hinkie came to town were a consistent 8th seed too good to acquire top talent, too weak to actually compete for a championship

also wouldn't mind if it took us 3 more years to make the playoffs if the end result is once we start making the playoffs, is to actually be championship contenders

Dade County
07-30-2014, 07:06 PM
funny how everyone but the sixers and sixers fans hates the way the sixers are tanking

there are only two ways of being championship contenders in the nba (only option 1 if you are a small market team):

1. suck so bad, acquire top pick and hit on a franchise player, usually have to suck 2-3 years to acquire enough talent

2. be a large market that attracts top FAs and sign them (miami big 3, boston big 3, etc)

most teams fails #1, because they are impatient

Miami is not a large market... If the team has some good pieces (a good team), the HEAT become a nice destination spot.

And I don't know what the league should do, but the worst teams should get the best players out of the draft; but I don't think those players should have to spend so many years with these organizations that can't put a winning program together.

Put the fire underneath these organizations *****.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Miami is not a large market... If the team has some good pieces (a good team), the HEAT become a nice destination spot.

And I don't know what the league should do, but the worst teams should get the best players out of the draft; but I don't think those players should have to spend so many years with these organizations that can't put a winning program together.

Put the fire underneath these organizations *****.

you're right about miami not being a large market, but the heat did not have good pieces except for d-wade, hell they cleaned out almost their whole team when they signed the big 3. The again a great piece (d-wade) and a big salary cap is much more attractive than 3 good pieces.

a lot of teams suck at picking players (bobcats, jazz, cavs, timberwolves)

maybe have shorter rookie contracts, and let rookies be UFAs and get rid of RFAs

Westbrook36
07-30-2014, 07:28 PM

I could not be happier with the way Hinkie has handled the 76ers. You don't build a contender by signing average players to fat contracts and being in the race for the bottom of the barrel in the East playoffs.

JEDean89
07-30-2014, 07:51 PM
I am all for the league not rewarding this ******** by the 76ers, imo tanking is the single greatest problem teams have. it creates superteams on one end and teams like the 76ers on the other. In case the 76ers haven't noticed they are in for a 5 year rebuild, and that just isn't okay. If teams were more focused on getting to the playoffs instead of getting the #1 pick, this would be a more competitive league. obviously the 76ers are the ones protesting because they traded Hawes for nothing, Turner for nothing and are purposely trying to hoard the incoming talent over the next few years. **** that, 76ers fans deserve better. I'm still trying to think of a team other than the Spurs who have one mainly through the draft.

amak316
07-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Philly will be good a lot sooner than most expect I think. Embiid will be an elite player by year 3

WITZ
07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Not surprised they are trying to stop it. Their owner called the teams 19 win season a "huge success" :laugh2:

Kevj77
07-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Everyone will applaud this as a response to tanking until a really good team misses the playoff because of an injury to their star then lands the first pick with what should be the 14th pick.

abe_froman
07-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Miami is not a large market.

depends on how you are counting it.just the city proper itself isnt,but the miami/sofla metro area is top 10 in the country

MagicBucsSox
07-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Lol good. Tired of Hinkie and the damn cavs for that matter. Dude drafts injured players, and is killing the nba owners by tanking in such a major market.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
This is just a case of Philly getting caught with their pants down and entering a mad scramble lol

NBA_Starter
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I hope he changes it.

Alayla
07-30-2014, 08:50 PM
I am all for the league not rewarding this ******** by the 76ers, imo tanking is the single greatest problem teams have. it creates superteams on one end and teams like the 76ers on the other. In case the 76ers haven't noticed they are in for a 5 year rebuild, and that just isn't okay. If teams were more focused on getting to the playoffs instead of getting the #1 pick, this would be a more competitive league. obviously the 76ers are the ones protesting because they traded Hawes for nothing, Turner for nothing and are purposely trying to hoard the incoming talent over the next few years. **** that, 76ers fans deserve better. I'm still trying to think of a team other than the Spurs who have one mainly through the draft.

As a Sixers fan what in gods name are you talking about
The sixers have been a 500 team since trading AI and before that where in the playoffs a ton.
We have seen more than enough of the playoffs we want to see a championship team something we haven't had since the 80's because we have been content with being a low playoff team so long.

We have been calling for a long rebuild like this for years and it only makes sense they are finally answering our calls now a longstanding group built from the draft with proper team chemistry can be started rather than a revolving door of average players.

As for a team built from the draft that isnt the spurs OKC

Alayla
07-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Everyone will applaud this as a response to tanking until a really good team misses the playoff because of an injury to their star then lands the first pick with what should be the 14th pick.

Yup this is a knee jerk reaction to a team the league hoped would be a contender with Bynum and Jrue blowing everything up for a safer future.

Alayla
07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Lol good. Tired of Hinkie and the damn cavs for that matter. Dude drafts injured players, and is killing the nba owners by tanking in such a major market.

For situations like the cavs are going to be alot more common when they tweak the system.

For 2 who cares if the players are injured when he drafts them do you really believe he is looking to draft players who wont play? wtf
He is taking what he believes to be undervalued talents it just so happens 2 of them where hurt bigs.

What Hinkie is doing is somthing 90% of fans want there GMs to do but they are too inpatient for and thats why there is this big outcry

id much rather be the sixers in there current situation than be the bulls praying to the sky that Rose returns.
Or the lakers doing the same thing for Kobe and dont get me started on the Knicks and Nets.

there is no fun watching a team that has no chance of doing anything every year watching all the other teams get better and you being desperate to stay up people forget before the sixers traded Jrue Holiday for Noel and the pelicans pick we where still a losing team depending on an injured star to return.

Sure i didnt like it at first but this is a plan there is a light at the end of this tunnel and it gives fans hope
we can actually discuss possibility of something better.

And deep down you know most of you want to see this from your teams as well so someday you can defeat the top teams

On one hand you having people crying about super teams like the Heat being made then on another you have people complaining about rebuilding from the draft? how else do you expect teams to improve?

mngopher35
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM
haha duh. I mean Philly could be seen as a reason for the change in some people's mind (obviously tanked, but it was smart for them imo). Not surprising at all they would be the one's who want it to stay as is for next year.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2014, 09:12 PM

thats the point and it will be as a top seed.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
there is no way a change this big will made by next year it impacts way too much around the league especially with protected drat picks form trades. dont kid yourselves either the Sixers arent the only ones, we may be the most vocal, but there are others as well. the wheel idea when proposed was going to take affect after like 5 years bcuz of my first point, dont see how any new format changes any sooner.

a major market being a 6-8 seed year in year is equally as bad for the league bcuz we were still making no money. now we are primed to return to relevance in another 2-4 years with tons of potential all star caliber players or better.

THE MTL
07-30-2014, 09:20 PM
I think we can all agree that there's tanking and then there's Philly.

When a franchise seems pleased with an 18-game losing streak, something is wrong.

They are clearly promoting losing and would rather LOSE games than win.

And Im glad they weren't rewarded with their tactics in the draft.

JEDean89
07-30-2014, 09:21 PM
The sixers have been a 500 team since trading AI and before that where in the playoffs a ton.
We have seen more than enough of the playoffs we want to see a championship team something we haven't had since the 80's because we have been content with being a low playoff team so long.

We have been calling for a long rebuild like this for years and it only makes sense they are finally answering our calls now a longstanding group built from the draft with proper team chemistry can be started rather than a revolving door of average players.

if you really want your team to suck for the next 5 years, then i feel bad for the real 76ers fan. just a reminder that FA and trades win Chips over the draft. SA is the only team to ever draft a #1 overall pick who won a chip for them. you guys will not ever be contenders if your mentality is to just suck and suck and suck and then expect to just turn it around one year. if you think MCW, Embiid and Noel have you closer than Iggy, Vucevic and Young then I feel for you. Look at teams that have sucked forever (The Jazz), that is the path you are choosing. The Durants come along every 5 years or so, your plan is to just keep sucking until you draft one? why not try and build a real team, with balanced talent whose sum is greater than their parts? Like Dallas, like SAS, this is the model teams should be going for, winning as a team, not praying you will draft the next coming of MJ. As for OKC, they have not won a chip yet, if you want to be a contender then sure, the Bulls, the Pacers etc... but only SAS has won a chip through drafting. Philly does not have the ability to draft as well as the Spurs, hate to burst your bubble.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 09:40 PM
if you really want your team to suck for the next 5 years, then i feel bad for the real 76ers fan. just a reminder that FA and trades win Chips over the draft. SA is the only team to ever draft a #1 overall pick who won a chip for them. you guys will not ever be contenders if your mentality is to just suck and suck and suck and then expect to just turn it around one year. if you think MCW, Embiid and Noel have you closer than Iggy, Vucevic and Young then I feel for you. Look at teams that have sucked forever (The Jazz), that is the path you are choosing. The Durants come along every 5 years or so, your plan is to just keep sucking until you draft one? why not try and build a real team, with balanced talent whose sum is greater than their parts? Like Dallas, like SAS, this is the model teams should be going for, winning as a team, not praying you will draft the next coming of MJ. As for OKC, they have not won a chip yet, if you want to be a contender then sure, the Bulls, the Pacers etc... but only SAS has won a chip through drafting. Philly does not have the ability to draft as well as the Spurs, hate to burst your bubble.

:laugh2:

also the jazz have not drafted a ROY, we have. Please give it 3 more years before everyone judges Hinkie's roster, we may not draft as well as SA, or we may, it remains to be seen

also who said we're set on stone drafting our durant? our go to scorer SF will be the final piece and might be targeted through FA either durant or george

highly doubt we'll get either, but we'll definitely make noise in FA after next draft

Alayla
07-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Your article seems very hate filled and defensive. Iggy is NOT a franchise player any team with IGGY of all people as a number 1 scoring option is HURTING.
As for the comment about real sixers fans? ive been following the sixers my whole life through thick and thin.
I have never given up on the team even in its darkest of days but i assure you im not the only sixers fan pleased with what is going on. As much as i love Holiday having him as your Franchise player is no better of a choice than having Iggy and no matter what we where going to suck for a long time atfer the bynum trade there was no way to quickly bounce back from that. What we are doing now is the difference between sucking for 3 years to get to 500 again compared to sucking for 5 years for a chance at being a contender.

As a sixers fan i have seen how dull being in the middle all the time is there is nothing to ever get hyped about and when the bynum trade and brand signings happened it got us jumping out of our seats because in our little world it seemed like a chance to be relevant again. But the one mans trash is another mans treasure approach hasn't got us anywhere.

I will take Noel Embid MCW and Saric + a top 5 pick in the next draft over Holiday Turner Hawes and Young and a roughly 12-15 pick as a core for building for the future any day of the week and twice on sunday

as for how Iggy and Brand Factor in? they dont they where gone before the rebuild plan started we tried free agency ended up with Brand we tried Trades ended up with Bynum i see nothing wrong with a long term rebuild rather than a panicked patch job.

Alayla
07-30-2014, 09:44 PM
:laugh2:

also the jazz have not drafted a ROY, we have. Please give it 3 more years before everyone judges Hinkie's roster, we may not draft as well as SA, or we may, it remains to be seen

also who said we're set on stone drafting our durant? our go to scorer SF will be the final piece and might be targeted through FA either durant or george

highly doubt we'll get either, but we'll definitely make noise in FA after next draft

People forgot about the 30 millon in cap space i guess.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm siding with the 76ers.

The gap in wins between the worst team and the 6th worst team can be a small or can be big. I'd probably take like 5% off being the worst team (so instead of 25% odds, it's 20%) and just spread that 5% it over.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
The current system is literally fine as well. The worst team has a 75% chance of not getting the top pick, and it's showed the like 10 years since no team with the worst record is getting the top pick.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
The current system is literally fine as well. The worst team has a 75% chance of not getting the top pick, and it's showed the like 10 years since no team with the worst record is getting the top pick.

not only the worst pick, the two worst teams never got the 1st pick the last 10 years

plus the cavs got kyrie with a 2% chance at the 1st pick and wiggins at 1.6% chance for the 1st pick

if anything, they should raise the odds of the top 2 worst teams, but the current system is definitely fine

Raps08-09 Champ
07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
not only the worst pick, the two worst teams never got the 1st pick the last 10 years

plus the cavs got kyrie with a 2% chance at the 1st pick and wiggins at 1.6% chance for the 1st pick

if anything, they should raise the odds of the top 2 worst teams, but the current system is definitely fine

I don't agree with raising the odds for the 2 best teams since that will actually encourage tanking.

Everyone was absolutely *****ing saying the Cavs won in 2011 and 2014 getting the 1st overall when they had like the 6th and 7th best odds. Now you are literally giving teams like that a better chance to get the #1 pick.

If you even out the odds for 1-6 teams, you're actually encouraging teams who are in the 7-11 range in like the last month or 2 because they just need to lose a few more games, get to 6th then they have a chance at #1. I'f I'm the Raptors and I'm like the 9th worst team by March, I'm tanking as much as I can to get to the 6th worst team since I'll have a chance at #1.

DemarDerozan
07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
A lot of teams are guilty of tanking to an extent... But Philly has taken in to a whole new level. SMDH.

They could have really built around Jrue, Young and Turner if they invested in them. Instead they:

Traded Jrue for a pick (who may be a bust)
Traded Turner for nothing.
Traded for ****ing Royce White and several others for financial flexibility. Which they are not using.
Passed up three top ten picks that could make their team better immediately for shady project picks.

If they lose money next year the NBA should fine Henke and Harris, strip them of their first round pick and force them to sell the team.

I feel bad for their fans. This is the most pathetic FO in the NBA.

yaswaggin
07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
A lot of teams are guilty of tanking to an extent... But Philly has taken in to a whole new level. SMDH.

They could have really built around Jrue, Young and Turner if they invested in them. Instead they:

Traded for ****ing Royce White and several others for financial flexibility. Which they are not using.
Passed up three top ten picks that could make their team better immediately for shady project picks.

If they lose money next year the NBA should fine Henke and Harris, strip them of their first round pick and force them to sell the team.

actually the trade for jrue ended up jrue for noel, saric, and a 2016 1st rounder (got their 1st rounder back which they traded for bynum) which any GM would do in a heartbeat, we also later drafted MCW who has a lot of potential, already won ROY

Turner is a scrub

name me the three top 10 picks we passed up for projects (as in mention the players we should have drafted instead)

Alayla
07-30-2014, 10:20 PM

1. Jrue isnt a superstar and we drafted MCW who posted simmlar numbers and with Jrue we got Noel and eventually Saric as well as sucking more leading to us getting Embid. Oh and technically getting us a future first round pick back too so thats Holiday for Noel Saric and a future lottery pick as well as the ability to draft high enough to get Embid. Thats a haul no matter how you look at it

2. Turner is not even capable of starting for an average team and Young is idealistically a 6th man

3. They traded Turner for nothing because he is worth nothing

4. In one breath you say you feel bad for 76ers fans then in another you say strip our pick?

The bias from you guys is insane i understand alot of you are frustrated your teams dont take this route but a team that does shouldn't be punished and i would say that even if the sixers where poised for 65 Wins right now and we where having this talk about some other team.

SMH!
07-30-2014, 10:21 PM

do you think Hinkie drafts injured players on purpose or the best player available? Also how is he killing the nba owners by tanking?

SMH!
07-30-2014, 10:23 PM

When a franchise seems pleased with an 18-game losing streak, something is wrong.

if theres tanking, then there's philly, whats that make the bucks who had an even worse record?

SMH!
07-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Said this for a while, way before philly started their tank, I'd rather tank, get assets and promising prospects and try to be great in the future, rather than being stuck in mediocrity.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2014, 10:27 PM

i feel for you man. thats not a contender, not even close, not even a div winner. thats what we have had for a decade and got nowhere.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

build around Turner who just got a portion of the MLE in the prime of his career, that Turner? lol i love reading posts from people who nothing about the Sixers who just wanna hate on the rebuild

Alayla
07-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Said this for a while, way before philly started their tank, I'd rather tank, get assets and promising prospects and try to be great in the future, rather than being stuck in mediocrity.

Anyone would the only reason they are playing the i feel sorry for the fans angle is because there pissed there not in our position.

2-ONE-5
07-30-2014, 10:33 PM
do you think Hinkie drafts injured players on purpose or the best player available? Also how is he killing the nba owners by tanking?

lol i know right. we got the best player in the last 2 drafts

Alayla
07-30-2014, 10:35 PM
build around Turner who just got a portion of the MLE in the prime of his career, that Turner? lol i love reading posts from people who nothing about the Sixers who just wanna hate on the rebuild

But But But hes like an 80 in 2k! he has to be good right? :laugh2: :drunk:

5ass
07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Good, the sixers were purposely trying to put out a bad product last year. Anything to get a high pick. Imagine if every lottery team does that. Put a stop to it now.

SMH!
07-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Lol didnt spurs tank for Duncan?

TheMightyHumph
07-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Lol didnt spurs tank for Duncan?

As did the Celtics.

I think Silver is being ridiculous, and should announce any such plans would be effective after this season, when I'd still think they were ridiculous.

The current rules are just fine.

But I'm old. You kids today, I'll tell you. I used to have to walk one block to school, rain, sun or snow. Well, snow might have discouraged me.

NBA_Starter
07-30-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm sure hes worried what Philly thinks.

TheMightyHumph
07-30-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm sure hes worried what Philly thinks.

You are saying that Silver doesn't care about the fans of Philadelphia?

Do you think that he will make a statement that expresses that?

Dade County
07-30-2014, 11:08 PM

As long as it works out in the end... It would be pretty crazy for the 6ers to go through with their plan and in four years, they really have no chance at contending.

It would be a damn shame.

Alayla
07-30-2014, 11:21 PM
As long as it works out in the end... It would be pretty crazy for the 6ers to go through with their plan and in four years, they really have no chance at contending.

It would be a damn shame.

It would but id rather have that chance of building something special and many years on interesting future to talk about as opposed to the biggest news each year being something like a Morrow Signing or something stupid.

JasonJohnHorn
07-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Perhaps the lottery can alter its set up so that the five worst teams go into a lottery for the top four picks. Teams that finish from 6-14 can have a lottery determining the rest of the order.

Or... now hear me out... we can do... THE WHEEL!!!!

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2014, 09:11 AM

That is our plan and in the NBA you need to get terrible to get good. All we are doing is using the rules.

The 3-4 years has been stated a million times as when we would get there, but we aren't going for the middle.

joeyc77
07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

Not true. Every team that has won a championship over the past 20-25 years was built by their 1s move being to draft their star player typically in the top 5( except for the Pistons.)There may be multiple ways to add extra pieces but the 1st move needs to be acquire your star player through the draft.

Bulls- MJ
Lakers- Kobe (acquired at draft)
Spurs- Robinson, Duncan
Heat- D Wade
Mavs- Dirk
Rocket- Hakeem
Celts- Pierce

It's not even debatable. The way the NBA is constructed now, teams must draft their star player. The Sixers tried the approach of trading and signing players past their prime- Webber, Van Horn, Brand, Bynum. The only thing it is fans was a lot of mediocre finishes. I'd happily lose a few years than sacrifice cap space and sign any of these average to below a average FAs (Meeks, Frye, Hawes, ect) in order to "compete" for an 8th seed. I feel bad for these franchises who are going to be stuck being average the next 5 years and have to eventually go through this process.

Vinylman
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM

that already happened, SA was fortunate enough for Robinson to get hurt so they could draft Duncan... Robinson doesn't get hurt how many chips does SA ever win? Zero? maybe 1?

Anyway, the reality is that teams need to tank to rebuild due to the limited pool of talent in the watered down NBA... the bottom 40 players in the league are garbage

what should happen is very basic... worse record gets the top pick

the only reason there is a draft lottery is so the NBA can have an additional marketing event so fanbases of teams out of the playoffs have something to talk about

Vinylman
07-31-2014, 10:22 AM

is that you jim buss?

2-ONE-5
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
lol we released royce White after the rockets gave him to us, literally they paid his (low) salary for us and we got an additional stash player.

hugepatsfan
07-31-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't want to change the lottery like that. I would make the salary cap floor mandatory though. Players would go for it because it means more money and it would force teams like PHI to sign some talent rather than hoard cap space. Won't stop tanking but it will make it harder to do it to the ridiculous, leage-integrity-compromising extent that PHI is doing it.

THE MTL
07-31-2014, 11:28 AM

if theres tanking, then there's philly, whats that make the bucks who had an even worse record?

There is a difference between tanking and sucking. Bucks just suck.

What Philly is doing is disrespectful to the NBA. Everyone knows it that's why you guys are getting no support from ANY other team in the NBA in the lottery system change and also you are the reason why Silver wants to change the rules ASAP

THE MTL
07-31-2014, 11:35 AM

That is our plan and in the NBA you need to get terrible to get good. All we are doing is using the rules.

The 3-4 years has been stated a million times as when we would get there, but we aren't going for the middle.

You have no idea how bad that looks for the league. You are promoting losing. Imagine if 10 teams in the NBA did the same thing you're doing? What would that do to the revenue, image, talent disparity

Like I said there's tanking and then there's philly. You guys taking it to another level and you know that

THE MTL
07-31-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't want to change the lottery like that. I would make the salary cap floor mandatory though. Players would go for it because it means more money and it would force teams like PHI to sign some talent rather than hoard cap space. Won't stop tanking but it will make it harder to do it to the ridiculous, leage-integrity-compromising extent that PHI is doing it.

There is already a min league salary.... But even if you raised it
A team like Philly would just sign guys to large one year contracts.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
You have no idea how bad that looks for the league. You are promoting losing. Imagine if 10 teams in the NBA did the same thing you're doing? What would that do to the revenue, image, talent disparity

Like I said there's tanking and then there's philly. You guys taking it to another level and you know that

No we are promoting rebuilding, we are promoting properly using the system as written and agreed upon, we are promoting tear down others mistakes and rebuilding from the ground up with a solid foundation. Your just mad your team is in NBA purgatory, a place that you have to get terrible to get out of.

If you don't think 10 teams this past year tried to do what the Sixers did your kidding yourself. The Sixers have done this far better than anyone has to my knowledge.

The Sixers are building a strong foundation and got so good complimentary pieces, in the next year or 2 they'll get the main pieces. I don't see how anyone could be unhappy having MCW, Noles, Embiid, and Saric.

hugepatsfan
07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
There is already a min league salary.... But even if you raised it
A team like Philly would just sign guys to large one year contracts.

The salary floor isn't mandatory though. If you don't spend up to it you just have to pay half the difference between where you are and the floor.

And on teams signing players to one year deals... that's the point. They'd have to go out and add players. I guess they could just sign bums for huge money but there's only so much you can do to stop tanking. This current proposal is too far. It's going to result in teams that aren't close to being the worst in the NBA getting high picks which will only further the divide between the best and the worst. Sure, it will make a few relatively meaningless games more competitive but for the long term parity of the NBA it's an awful, awful proposal.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2014, 11:45 AM
For the record I don't care if they change it from 25% to 11%. We had the second worst record and got the 3rd pick. If you have the right people at the top they will get you the right players, whether you draft 1st or 8th. If we are in the position at 10 as we were this year we take a guy like McDermett and that gives us are big offensive guy, then we have 2 bigs, a potential stud in Turkey, a former rookie of the year, a scorer, some nice 7 - 10 roster spot guys, and $50 million in cap space.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
The salary floor isn't mandatory though. If you don't spend up to it you just have to pay half the difference between where you are and the floor.

And on teams signing players to one year deals... that's the point. They'd have to go out and add players. I guess they could just sign bums for huge money but there's only so much you can do to stop tanking. This current proposal is too far. It's going to result in teams that aren't close to being the worst in the NBA getting high picks which will only further the divide between the best and the worst. Sure, it will make a few relatively meaningless games more competitive but for the long term parity of the NBA it's an awful, awful proposal.

We signed Pierre Thomas who got hurt in the summer league and will be out for a year to a 1 year deal. You don't even need to sign guys that can play.

2-ONE-5
07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
we are certainly not promoting losing. we are developing players and giving auditions to others to build for the future. whats the point in signing mid to low end FA's to add 5-10 wins? its useless and keeps us medicore like we have have been for a very long time.

i swear some of you make it sound like the Sixers are intentinally triyng to employ bad players to lose on purpose or throw games like there is no strategy and plan being executed here. we tried the big FA and trade moves and they failed miserably, this is what you do next when all that fails. tanking is what the Celtics did the year before they added KG and Allen but thats not whats happening here.

PhillyFaninLA
07-31-2014, 11:48 AM
we are certainly not promoting losing. we are developing players and giving auditions to others to build for the future. whats the point in signing mid to low end FA's to add 5-10 wins? its useless and keeps us medicore like we have have been for a very long time.

i swear some of you make it sound like the Sixers are intentinally triyng to employ bad players to lose on purpose or throw games like there is no strategy and plan being executed here. we tried the big FA and trade moves and they failed miserably, this is what you do next when all that fails. tanking is what the Celtics did the year before they added KG and Allen but thats not whats happening here.

I want to add to this, the ownership and front office that failed for a long time is gone. You can only judge this team on they way they removed the mistakes of the past so they can build a long term sustainable successful franchise.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Shame on us! We're soooo disrespectful to you other franchises. We're ruining the sacred integrity of the game!

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 12:12 PM
March 1st, 2014 - "NBA commissioner defends Sixers strategy" "Commissioner Adam Silver praises 76ers' long-term plan"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2014/03/01/commissioner-adam-silver-praises-76ers-plan-to-tank/5935955/

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/248046966.html

"Silver: Sixers 'rebuilding,' not tanking"

ADAM SILVER: "I just came from the locker room, I just spoke to the coach. It's an insult to the entire league to suggest that these guys are going out on the floor and aren't doing their very best to win games. "

"You look at any business, you look at short-term results and long-term results," Silver said. "And if you told a business, if somebody told you a business was going to operate on a quarter-by-quarter [basis], you'd say, 'That's not the way to operate a business.' You'd say, 'You need a strategy. You need to look at the long-term.' And I think what this organization is doing is absolutely the right thing. What they're doing is planning for the future and building an organization from the ground level up."

"And so, if you look at what's happened here over the last several years, it's badly needed," he said. "Somebody needs a plan. Somebody needs a vision to win here. And I think that's what's happening."

------

Raptors admit to doing the same thing in the past: "I tried to tank a couple years ago," Colangelo said. "And I didn't come out and say, 'Coach, you've got to lose games.' I never said that. I wanted to establish a winning tradition and a culture and all of that. But I wanted to do it in the framework of playing the young players, and with that, comes losing. There's just no way to avoid that."

Other examples admissions of blatant past tanking or manipulation of standings from players/coaches in Boston, Houston, Phoenix, Cleveland, Minnesota: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/40780/when-tankers-tell-the-truth

-------

So the commissioner supported our strategy last year. Others have done it in the past, including many of your own teams... BUT OH MY GOD. THE SIXERS ARE A DISGRACE. No, shame on all of you. Seriously.

Vinylman
07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
We signed Pierre Thomas who got hurt in the summer league and will be out for a year to a 1 year deal. You don't even need to sign guys that can play.

why would anyone sign anyone to hit the floor they could just take a bad expiring and get picks with it... it is actually genius

ugottabjoshinme
07-31-2014, 05:23 PM

San Antonio was only team?

Bucks - Lew Alcindor
Lakers - Magic
Rockets - Hakeem
Lakers - Worthy
Spurs - Duncan
Spurs - Robinson

Chaotic98
07-31-2014, 05:30 PM
why would anyone sign anyone to hit the floor they could just take a bad expiring and get picks with it... it is actually genius

Under that logic, up next for the Sixers is to trade Young and Richardson for Stoudemire and a filler like Shumpert. Actually they could do a 1 for 1 with Young and Stoudemire. Helps the Knicks to try and win a few games and make the playoffs, helps the Sixers to lose a few more. Win win? lol

5ass
07-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Its a different situation from those examples of the past because of revenue sharing.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Its a different situation from those examples of the past because of revenue sharing.

You know the Sixers are ineligible to receive revenue sharing right? Because of market size, they can only contribute to the pot for other teams that need support. Yet the Sixers franchise still made a profit last year.

So why is it the Sixers responsibility to care about short term revenue sharing when A) they don't see a dime of it anyways and B) they're trying to rebuild a winning, long term, sustainable team that the rest of the league will reap profits from for years to come in the future?

5ass
07-31-2014, 06:35 PM
You know the Sixers are ineligible to receive revenue sharing right? Because of market size, they can only contribute to the pot for other teams that need support. Yet the Sixers franchise still made a profit last year.

So why is it the Sixers responsibility to care about short term revenue sharing when A) they don't see a dime of it anyways and B) they're trying to rebuild a winning, long term, sustainable team that the rest of the league will reap profits from for years to come in the future?

Because you can't just say that, if its ok for you to do it, it must apply to other teams regardless. You can't make an exception for Philly because its a large market then turn around and tell minny, for example, not to do it.

bringbackfredex
07-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Lol of course we're fighting the new draft proposal, as everyone else with a brain should. Giving teams who barely miss the playoffs an even shot at the #1 pick would basically screw every bad team for years to come. There's a reason that the worst team in every other major sport gets the #1 pick....

I just find it funny that the league hates helping bad teams, but they condone 3 studs going to a team and just raping the rest of the league. It appears that the NBA is ready to send the message that frontloading talent is the way to go and that every other team can wait anywhere between 1 and 50 years to get a top 3 pick. Yeah this makes sense.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Because you can't just say that, if its ok for you to do it, it must apply to other teams regardless. You can't make an exception for Philly because its a large market then turn around and tell minny, for example, not to do it.

The Sixers are a franchisee operating under a franchisor's rules set forth for them with 100% compliance. The commissioner of the league himself came out in full support of the plan. Who are you/we to say that anyone can't do what they are doing?

It's in the best interest of the entire league for the Sixers to be good for the long term. Being an impact team with sustainable success. This is how they plan to do that. If you don't support that it's due to selfish reasons and rooting interests, not because you care about the well being of the league. Give me a break. People on here claiming to want Philly kicked out of the league, then saying they care about the league's interests and revenue sharing? It's obviously BS.

Cal827
07-31-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't fully get the Sixer hate here. I mean, there has been a point in most franchise's history in which they ended up tanking a few years.

Cleveland did it to get Lebron, then the years after and lucked out with 1st overall picks
Minnesota has tried it, but Stern hates them
Utah has been at it for a few years now
Milwaukee is likely doing it again this year
Toronto has done it (that **** BC admitted to it, but I think it was already clear)
The Lakers might be doing it for the next bit (especially after Kobe retires)
The Celtics did it to try and grab Oden or Durant, and are back at it (If they deal out Rondo, that team will struggle to win 20 games)

Hell, one year, the Nets started Deshawn Stevenson at PF for a little bit.... Who the **** here is gonna try and justify that ****?! :laugh:

I can understand the NBA trying to stop it, but I can also understand why Philly would be arguing against the change.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
If they really believe that changing the lottery will help the league, so be it, they should change the rules. But for a major sport to try to push through such a drastic/severe rule change in less than a year? It's obviously completely reactionary and less about fixing a problem.

There needs to be a process. The offseason is basically over and teams have already shaped their rosters based on strategizing for the rules that have been set forth for them. Changing the rules this quickly just punishes some teams that have been following those rules. You should give teams a 2-3 year warning that something drastic like this is coming.

Not to mention how this is going to effect future picks that have been traded already which have protections. This ****s all that up too. Future picks for the next season have perceived values and this retroactively and unfairly impacts trades that have already been made.

Lastly, if you think this specific proposal going to "fix tanking"... LOL. This isn't about fixing tanking. It's about punishing the Sixers because their plan is upsetting people.

5ass
07-31-2014, 07:43 PM
The Sixers are a franchisee operating under a franchisor's rules set forth for them with 100% compliance. The commissioner of the league himself came out in full support of the plan. Who are you/we to say that anyone can't do what they are doing?

It's in the best interest of the entire league for the Sixers to be good for the long term. Being an impact team with sustainable success. This is how they plan to do that. If you don't support that it's due to selfish reasons and rooting interests, not because you care about the well being of the league. Give me a break. People on here claiming to want Philly kicked out of the league, then saying they care about the league's interests and revenue sharing? It's obviously BS.

I never said I wanted Philly kicked out of the league. Don't lump us all together like we're one poster.

All I'm saying is I understand where the criticism is coming from. Its like the sixers give zero ****s about what they put on the floor for these two seasons. Obviously the commissioner is going to handle it privately and paint a pretty picture to the public IF he indeed has a problem with what the sixes are doing. IF he has a problem, he has every right to criticize them because of the revenue sharing system.

TheSilentBang
07-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Lastly, if you think this specific proposal going to "fix tanking"... LOL. This isn't about fixing tanking. It's about punishing the Sixers because their plan is upsetting people.

This proposal is about punishing the Sixers because of their plan for tanking...so yes it is about fixing tanking.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 07:50 PM
This proposal is about punishing the Sixers because of their plan for tanking...so yes it is about fixing tanking.

It's about punishment then, not fixing tanking

5ass
07-31-2014, 07:51 PM
If they really believe that changing the lottery will help the league, so be it, they should change the rules. But for a major sport to try to push through such a drastic/severe rule change in less than a year? It's obviously completely reactionary and less about fixing a problem.

There needs to be a process. The offseason is basically over and teams have already shaped their rosters based on strategizing for the rules that have been set forth for them. Changing the rules this quickly just punishes some teams that have been following those rules. You should give teams a 2-3 year warning that something drastic like this is coming.

Not to mention how this is going to effect future picks that have been traded already which have protections. This ****s all that up too. Future picks for the next season have perceived values and this retroactively and unfairly impacts trades that have already been made.

Future picks are not a good excuse at all. How many lottery teams have traded away a future pick anyway? How likely are they to be a bottom 5 team?
I think you're focusing too much on the sixers. Theres no guarantee they get the worst record anyway. I know theres a good chance, and it might be a tough pill to swallow, but theres no reason to delay the change if they can put it into effect now.
I'll be honest. I'm not 100% familiar with the new proposal. So I'm not exactly supporting it, just supporting some change.

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 07:59 PM
I never said I wanted Philly kicked out of the league. Don't lump us all together like we're one poster.

All I'm saying is I understand where the criticism is coming from. Its like the sixers give zero ****s about what they put on the floor for these two seasons. Obviously the commissioner is going to handle it privately and paint a pretty picture to the public IF he indeed has a problem with what the sixes are doing. IF he has a problem, he has every right to criticize them because of the revenue sharing system.

Wasn't lumping you in with everyone. My bad. The 1st paragraph was to you. The 2nd paragraph was more of a universal reply.

So for the long term, what do you think is best for for the league revenue sharing? The Sixers sucking for two seasons while attempting to become a sustainable great team for the next 10+ years? Maximizing their chances of bringing a superstar in Philly via the draft or with cap space when the time is right? Or the Sixers using all of their resources to be a middle of the pack, fringe playoff team that no one cares about, like they had been for the previous 12 years?

5ass
07-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Wasn't lumping you in with everyone. My bad. The 1st paragraph was to you. The 2nd paragraph was more of a universal reply.

So for the long term, what do you think is best for for the league revenue sharing? The Sixers sucking for two seasons while attempting to become a sustainable great team for the next 10+ years? Maximizing their chances of bringing a superstar in Philly via the draft or with cap space when the time is right? Or the Sixers using all of their resources to be a middle of the pack, fringe playoff team that no one cares about, like they had been for the previous 12 years?

Its not about sucking though, its about sucking that bad. You have to at least look to improve your team some IMO. You can still suck, but at least make some effort to be good. So there is a middle ground there, and that's where I think they should be. Now how the finances come into play there, and which method is more productive in that aspect, I can't say. Neither can anyone on this board I'd think.

5ass
07-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Do we even know the exact details of the new proposal anyway? I know for the 1st pick, the bottom 5 or 6 teams get equal chances. What about the other picks? Would the chances remain the same as before?

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Future picks are not a good excuse at all. How many lottery teams have traded away a future pick anyway? How likely are they to be a bottom 5 team?
I think you're focusing too much on the sixers. Theres no guarantee they get the worst record anyway. I know theres a good chance, and it might be a tough pill to swallow, but theres no reason to delay the change if they can put it into effect now.
I'll be honest. I'm not 100% familiar with the new proposal. So I'm not exactly supporting it, just supporting some change.

I'm focusing too much on the Sixers? The entire theme of this thread has been an uneducated mob mentality of "Yeah! **** Philly!"

My point of view concerns the Sixers because we are executing a plan based on rules that have been set forth for us. And people are whining about that so now we have to abruptly change the rules. The motives for doing so are obvious.

Whether I supported the rule change or not, you shouldn't make a change like this with less than a year's notice. As I said above. I would say that whether I was a Sixers fan or a Spurs fans. It's not right. Support/objections to the rule change is actually irrelevant to the conversation. Again, if the league believes this makes things better, then do it. But it shouldn't be next season.

5ass
07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm focusing too much on the Sixers? The entire theme of this thread has been an uneducated mob mentality of "Yeah! **** Philly!"

My point of view concerns the Sixers because we are executing a plan based on rules that have been set forth for us. And people are whining about that so now we have to abruptly change the rules. The motives for doing so are obvious.

Whether I supported the rule change or not, you shouldn't make a change like this with less than a year's notice. As I said above. I would say that whether I was a Sixers fan or a Spurs fans. It's not right. Support/objections to the rule change is actually irrelevant to the conversation. Again, if the league believes this makes things better, then do it. But it shouldn't be next season.

I understand what you are saying for the most part, except I don't understand why there should be a year's notice? What exactly are they preparing for?

sixer04fan
07-31-2014, 08:31 PM
I understand what you are saying for the most part, except I don't understand why there should be a year's notice? What exactly are they preparing for?

Because every team has basically completed their roster for next year, with the exception of the Love ordeal, maybe some Monroe and Bledsoe signings, and some other minor deals. The Sixers have shaped their roster specifically with potential future draft position implications in mind. Just as teams shape their rosters with future available free agents and cap space implications in mind. Now the other owners are trying to take that away from them as best they can, when it's already too late. The offseason is basically over.

Here's an example. I'm not sure if it'll stick but bear with me: What if your team had cleaned out it's books for next offseason, you know you're likely going to have the most cap space in the league to pursue a superstar... Then there's an abrupt rule change that says, hey, now regardless of what you already planned to do, 5-6 other teams are going to be given just as much cap space as you, even though they already have more money tied up in contracts. Sorry.

I'm not saying the Sixers are a lock to have the worst record in the league. They didn't last year, and they got the third pick. But they want to build through the draft for now rather than through FA or trade, and that is their right. And part of the process includes giving themselves a good chance to get a high pick. Not by intentionally losing games, but by not wasting away money just to be stuck in the middle of the pack. That's just my point of view.

2-ONE-5
07-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Its not about sucking though, its about sucking that bad. You have to at least look to improve your team some IMO. You can still suck, but at least make some effort to be good. So there is a middle ground there, and that's where I think they should be. Now how the finances come into play there, and which method is more productive in that aspect, I can't say. Neither can anyone on this board I'd think.

we have improved. MCW, Wroten, Sims, Thompson and even Noel all have improved from last season and should continue to throughout the season. it just so happens they still are one of the worst teams in the league due to their youth.

5ass
07-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Because every team has basically completed their roster for next year, with the exception of the Love ordeal, maybe some Monroe and Bledsoe signings, and some other minor deals. The Sixers have shaped their roster specifically with potential future draft position implications in mind. Just as teams shape their rosters with future available free agents and cap space implications in mind. Now the other owners are trying to take that away from them as best they can, when it's already too late. The offseason is basically over.

Here's an example. I'm not sure if it'll stick but bear with me: What if your team had cleaned out it's books for next offseason, you know you're likely going to have the most cap space in the league to pursue a superstar... Then there's an abrupt rule change that says, hey, now regardless of what you already planned to do, 5-6 other teams are going to be given just as much cap space as you, even though they already have more money tied up in contracts. Sorry.

I'm not saying the Sixers are a lock to have the worst record in the league. They didn't last year, and they got the third pick. But they want to build through the draft for now rather than through FA or trade, and that is their right. And part of the process includes giving themselves a good chance to get a high pick. Not by intentionally losing games, but by not wasting away money just to be stuck in the middle of the pack. That's just my point of view.
I understand where you're coming from, now the sixes fans have a bad team to watch next year and they will still have equal chances at the first pick. When if they announced it before the off season, they could've signed someone to at least make their team a bit more entertaining. That's still not a good enough reason to delay it IMO. If its a good change, apply it ASAP.
The example I just disagree with.

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm hoping Noel can stay healthy :nod: kid is a beast.

dannyy08
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Tanking is prob the worst thing for the NBA as a whole. As a former season ticket holder it was impossible to sell tickets to the worst teams in the league. When I was lucky enough to actually sell the tix it was way below what I had paid for them.

In 2011-2012 Charlotte had 7 wins!?! Teams have winning streaks longer than that...

WSU Tony
07-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Small market teams already find themselves in a spot where they are merely farm teams for the stacked teams but now you want to take away the only way they receive assets? The league already caters to the stars and big markets to the point where only 6-8 teams have a chance at winning it all, don't you think this is getting out of hand? Even if a small market team wins a LeBron the player walks in 6 years. The NBA is a joke. That's the truth.

WSU Tony
07-31-2014, 09:31 PM
The commish should be more worried about creating a league where more than 5 teams have a chance to win it all and less worried about the 5 teams a year (if that) trying to lose games for the small hopes of landing a star.

3ballbomber
07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
The lottery is rigged anyway so who gives a shite. I remember suffering through the season when Miami whent 15-37 and supposed to land #1 pick, yet Bulls who had close to nil chances (1.7% to be exact) gets Rose. We get plagued w/ Beasley's dumb arse :(

farkin corrupt league and rigged lottery is a joke.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Lol at rigged.

Shammyguy3
07-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Don't like the idea of evening out the odds for teams. I really prefer to go the route where for the teams in the lottery, average out their record from the just finished season and the previous season and then base their lottery odds on the average record in descending order of record

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Lol at rigged.

Rigged! :D

TheSilentBang
08-05-2014, 05:00 AM
How funny would it be if the Sixers do all this tanking and fail to ever recover from it where as a treadmill team like the Nuggets become contenders before the Sixers?

The 76ers will be the only hated team out of the teams that suck.