PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose: What to Expect

InRoseWeTrust
07-30-2014, 06:29 PM
This will be fun. And since I'm a Bulls fan, it's obviously not trolling. Poll is pretty straight forward people. Put yourself on the record, and then explain why below.

Sactown
07-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Lot of rust and scheme adjustments, hopefully he spends a full season healthy and can look good after this season

XpLiCiTT
07-30-2014, 06:34 PM
I actually have a lot of faith that he will regain his health and return back to form. Will he literally win another MVP? Eh, probably not...thats not an easy task no matter how healthy you are. But I do believe he will get back to putting up similar numbers he had before his injuries. He's only 25.

Dade County
07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
I think he will be fearless when attacking the rim, but he will also rely on his jumper so he can have balance to his game.

Also, I believe he will get lots of favorable calls, but it's the NBA, so whatever.

The league would love a Bulls vs OKC final, but past proven champions will have something to say about that.

Animosity
07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
He will return to MVP form. He may not win MVP again when there is some guys like LBJ Durant and such. He looks good in USA works out from what I have seen. He is explosive and has his vert still. With his injuries you would expect those to be diminished but he looks just as good as before.

chitownbulls
07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
If reports are true, he will be stronger, smarter, and have a better jumpshot. If that's true and with all the shooters around him perform as expected, I have no doubt he'll be able to put up the same numbers or a little better.

xbrackattackx
07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
I hope for his sake! I love the kid and his humility. But I could also see him going the Tmac,G Hill,oden etc route. Very few players miss two seasons and come back as good. It would be awesome if he would show off his playmaking more which is kinda underrated.

FraziersKnicks
07-30-2014, 06:52 PM
He's never gonna be the same as his MVP season, the guy has missed two whole years and had some major knee operations. He'll still be an above average player though.

I see him averaging 15-17 PPG on about 43% shooting and 5-6 APG.

NBA_Starter
07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
I believe he will be his old self within a month or so.

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Hopefully his old self. Damn he was fun to watch

Cool007
07-30-2014, 08:34 PM
I am probably in the minority but I genuinely think he will not only regain his MVP status but actually win the MVP award again.

I see an amazing season for Rose this year. Just hope he stays healthy all year and througout his career.

NYKNYGNYY
07-30-2014, 08:38 PM

Really out damn near two years ń he'll be back to his "MVP" form in only a month ???

I don't think he'll ever be the same ... Although i hate the bulls I don't wish injury on anyone and he was fun to watch from what I remember lol

HandsOnTheWheel
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't see him shooting anywhere north of 45% and Bulls underachieve IMO

5ass
07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
I voted he'll never be the same player, but I really dont have a strong opinion. He could be just as good as his MVP campaign. I'm hopeful, but trying not to expect too much. He'll always be one of my favorite players. I just hope he stays relatively healthy from here on out

Alayla
07-30-2014, 09:23 PM
I wont say hes done but he sure wont be winning anymore MvP's (not that i think he deserved the one he got but thats a different story)

I think its possible he will still be a regular starter but there is not doubt in my mind he wont be a franchise player after all this time.
If he is cool thats good for the NBA and all but i just dont see it.
I voted rotation player.

Chronz
07-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I hear hes going to revert back to his avoiding contact phase, only now he should be more skilled and maybe abit less athletic. I dont think we'll see his "MVP" form but not far behind.

ackar
07-30-2014, 09:34 PM
I see him putting up MVP like numbers. He will be MVP caliber but a little different. You will see he explosiveness but not as often. He will be a stronger more vocal player.

Captain Moroni
07-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Don't see him coming back even close to pre-surgery aggressive.

ewing
07-30-2014, 10:46 PM
dude was going to play with decreased athleticism and at different paces at some point. Asking him to do it all at once after missing 2 seasons is a lot to ask. I don't think he will ever win MVP again but he could become really good again. I think he will be facing a learning curve to reach his potential again

Coilz
07-30-2014, 10:48 PM
I think he'll be an all-star if he's healthy. Not MVP caliber, but still above average. I'm a fan from his Memphis days and hope he has a great year. Don't care what the Bulls do really.

ghettosean
07-30-2014, 10:50 PM

This...

1 month into the regular season should do it... Team USA should speed things along

Coilz
07-30-2014, 11:00 PM
This...

1 month into the regular season should do it... Team USA should speed things along

Good point. Still, I bet some Bulls fans are holding their breath at Rose participating in International play.

sens#11fan
07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Hopefully, he can be at least an allstar player at bare minimum.

IversonIsKrazy
07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I think first couple months he'll be a PG above average, still not superstar but borderline star. By all-star break he'll be practically there, and his numbers post all-star will be MVP status again.
Hope he recovers and becomes as Great as he can Be

dnl123
07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm rooting for him, but we can't say he's back until he proves he can stay healthy for at least 40 games.

jimm120
07-30-2014, 11:44 PM
I feel there's like an option missing...

MVP like season
He'll never be the same, but Allstar
He'll never be the same, but average/above average
Not the same, rotation player
Rose is done

IMO, he will never be the MVP like player again, as seen last year in the few days he was out there. He has a chance to be an Allstar type player (top 20) but I don't think he'll make it.

I say he'll be more than a rotation player that does his duties. More like a 16-18 ppg on low %.

jimm120
07-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Good point. Still, I bet some Bulls fans are holding their breath at Rose participating in International play.

He needs to practice, though.

If I were Chicago, I would have put him in the summer league too.

Some are not understanding how much time he's missed.

Playoffs
Season and playoffs
Season and playoffs (though he played a few games to start the season.

It's not some "he missed 2 years only" thing. He's missed 3 off seasons, 3 playoffs, and 2 seasons.

jimm120
07-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Those 10 games he played last season are a good barometer of what to expect this season.

16ppg, 3reb, 4ast, 39%-43% shooting.

That's what he did after his first hiatus, that's what expect after the 2nd one.

ewing
07-31-2014, 12:04 AM
He needs to practice, though.

If I were Chicago, I would have put him in the summer league too.

Some are not understanding how much time he's missed.

Playoffs
Season and playoffs
Season and playoffs (though he played a few games to start the season.

It's not some "he missed 2 years only" thing. He's missed 3 off seasons, 3 playoffs, and 2 seasons.

only two years is crazy talk. That is a long *** time. When i blew my ankle out i missed 7 months, i didn't play against NBA comp, and it took time. I don't think anyone should be asking this guy to play at an MVP level. The Bulls have some players let Rose be one of them for now. As he can take on responsibility let him but expecting his guy to be an MVP caliber player off the bat is a little crazy. I mean if he if pulls an Ardien Peterson i'll give him mad props but its a big ask.

chitownbulls
07-31-2014, 02:17 AM
Those 10 games he played last season are a good barometer of what to expect this season.

That's what he did after his first hiatus, that's what expect after the 2nd one.

I don't think that's what we should expect at all..

Those first 10 games were all a result of the rust of not playing at all. His athleticism was there, his shot was there, his aggression was there, but his timing and team chemistry was off. That's something that takes a few weeks-months to shake off.

Now that he's doing team USA, and preseason, it should speed the process along. I think we will see the true Drose a month into the season.

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2014, 02:22 AM
I see him being a dangerous combination with the newly acquired Gasol. This team could be dangerous if Rose can just stay healthy and even a 80-90% DR would be just enough to contend against the East for a Finals berth.

NYKalltheway
07-31-2014, 08:21 AM
No one can know. Still very young but has suffered a lot and from what I get a lot of it was psychological/mental.

Grant Hill type of career is my bet.

ManRam
07-31-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't think he'll regain "MVP" form right away. Maybe in some time, but he relies so damn much on his athleticism that I just think it will take some time. But I do have high hopes and think so long as he can stay on the court he'll make a big impact.

72 Wins
07-31-2014, 10:57 AM

LOL! 10 games is a "barometer?" Thank god you're not in charge of scouting for an NBA team. If you actually watched the games, he was slowly progressing and showing improvement. Obviously those stats cannot convey that. Unfortunately we'll never know what would have happened when suffered the second knee injury.

72 Wins
07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
It's sad that everyone expects him to get injured again. Hopefully he proves to everyone he can remain healthy. If this happens, He'll be a top 3 PG again in the NBA (IMHO). I base this on his improved skill set, higher ball IQ (maturity), all with the same explosiveness.

InRoseWeTrust
07-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Personally, I'll be thrilled if he can put up like 18.5/7/3.5 on good efficiency and playing in at least 70 games. I'm not saying that's his total ceiling going forward, just what I'd like to see this year.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-31-2014, 12:51 PM
I am hoping and thinking he'll try to cut back his drives into the lane. It will be beneficial for his health obviously and isn't as needed now. Instead try to distribute a little more with the better scorers we'll be able to have on the court this year.

SCHMURDA
07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm just praying he doesn't get hurt again. Even if he only is 80% of MVP Rose, I won't care...I just want him for the playoffs...My god it seems like it's been 5 years :sigh:

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Last year he didn't have near as good a roster around him as he will this upcoming season. The biggest acquisition last season was Mike Dunleavy JR. This time around you replaced Boozer with a serious upgrade in Gasol, added two rookies who can shoot lights out and have Noah and Gibson coming off career seasons not to mention an improving Jimmy Butler. Rose will have far less pressure on him to do everything.

Hawkeye15
07-31-2014, 01:41 PM
perennial all star

todu82
07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Option 2 for me.

FlashBolt
07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
He blew out two knees. The first time he came back, his other knee messed up. That's not a coincidence. His knees are a huge issue and that's arguably the worst type of injury you can have as an athlete. Athlete rely so much on their knees for explosiveness and I highly doubt he can come back the way he was before. Can he still be an All-Star? Probably but I think RWB will have a better career.

smith&wesson
07-31-2014, 01:54 PM
This will be fun. And since I'm a Bulls fan, it's obviously not trolling. Poll is pretty straight forward people. Put yourself on the record, and then explain why below.

there should be an option between mvp and well above average. For example, Durant is not mvp, but he is also not considered just well above average either.

I think Drose will be an allstar again, but I dont see him returning to mvp.

flclfanman
07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
He blew out two knees. The first time he came back, his other knee messed up. That's not a coincidence. His knees are a huge issue and that's arguably the worst type of injury you can have as an athlete. Athlete rely so much on their knees for explosiveness and I highly doubt he can come back the way he was before. Can he still be an All-Star? Probably but I think RWB will have a better career.

He torn 1 ACL in a leg and had a torn Meniscus in the other. 2 injuries, not 3.

He doesn't have to rely on his athleticism, that's why he's improved the jumper and post game. He was already an above average distributor, now he'll have more weapons to help light up the scoreboard.

ManRam
07-31-2014, 02:07 PM
I base this on his improved skill set, higher ball IQ (maturity), all with the same explosiveness.

This seems to be a common belief. It's certainly possible, and I know all we're hearing is optimism from those around him, but I'm a little hesitant to believe that he's instantly going to show more skill, a higher BBIQ and the same explosiveness. I'm just not quite ready to buy into that kool aid just yet. I think it's more than possible, and hopefully does happen...but I still think it's a bit wiser to temper expectations a tad than to think he'll be an improved version of his old self really soon. If anything I think it will just take some time.

We'll see.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-31-2014, 02:28 PM
there should be an option between mvp and well above average. For example, Durant is not mvp, but he is also not considered just well above average either.

I think Drose will be an allstar again, but I dont see him returning to mvp.

Fill in the blank,

The 2013-2014 NBA MVP was _______.

http://www.nba.com/history/nba-mvp-award-winners/

But I get what you're saying. Curry, Love, Westbrook, etc.

~Iggy~
07-31-2014, 03:25 PM
He will be Top 5-10 material once again this year. Counted among the top 3 PG's I think.

sep11ie
07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
I see him having a good year that gets stronger as the season goes on. Next year is when I think we'll see the old Rose.

Captain Moroni
07-31-2014, 08:44 PM
What is up with this rift between Drose and the Bulls?

Shammyguy3
07-31-2014, 09:40 PM
What is up with this rift between Drose and the Bulls?

there isn't a rift with Rose and the Bulls'... it's a rift between two groups: group 1 includes his dumbass "agent" BJ Armstrong and his stupid brother Reggie... they have quarreled with group 2: John Paxson & Gar Paxson.

Kyben36
07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
I am a negitive type of person, but i dont think rose will ever be the same, as well, I am putting my money on him never earning another max contract.

theheatles
08-01-2014, 07:52 AM
no, there is definitely a rift, because group 2 is upset at Derrick for "allowing" group 1 to talk **** in public

colinskik
08-01-2014, 09:38 AM
If reports are true, he will be stronger, smarter, and have a better jumpshot. If that's true and with all the shooters around him perform as expected, I have no doubt he'll be able to put up the same numbers or a little better.

No way in hell. Rose is dumb as rocks, there's no helping that kind of dumb.

I voted rotational player. When he came back last year he didn't look anything like the old Rose. Understandably, he was still in his head about his knee and his confidence was lacking. But still, he didn't look like the Rose of old.

I think the expectations should also be tempered somewhat because he's not needed as the guy anymore. THe Bulls play well without him and they added Pau. If you're expecting him to regain the MVP type season he had you're going to be disappointed because he doesn't need to be that player on this team anymore.

Heatcheck
08-01-2014, 10:05 AM
from what ive heard and read, hes back physically. its not like he tore an acl last time. and all that stuff about working on his jumper is crap, he taking it to the hole. should be fun to watch if he doesn't get hurt.

SeoulBeatz
08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
While I'd like to see him return to his MVP form, I have my doubts.

I'm rooting for him though. Chicago would be dominant with a healthy D-Rose.

GottaLoveCubs
08-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Why does it seem like every knicks fan is saying just a rotational player? Rotational player to me is like a 8-12 ppg type player. Maybe 15 tops. Rose will be better than that.
Everyone is acting like no one has ever tore their ACL and come back from it. How is Chris Paul doing? And no one has ever torn their meniscus. Westbrook?? Yes its a lot of time off and he'll probably be rusty, but doesn't mean he'll never regain his old self. I don't think he'll ever be a MVP again, but doesn't mean he'll just be a role player.

BIG worm
08-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Yea Knicks fans STAY hating...lol. Hey Knicks homers, with or without Rose, our team whoops the Knicks *****...just saying.

D-Leethal
08-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Rose wasn't better than Curry/Love/Westbrook even when he won MVP. Just as good, yes, but not a level higher than those guys. He just so happened to be the sexy pick in a year nobody wanted to vote for LeBron again when his team was the "surprise team" that won 60 games.

D-Leethal
08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Yea Knicks fans STAY hating...lol. Hey Knicks homers, with or without Rose, our team whoops the Knicks *****...just saying.

I think we actually had a winning record vs you guys last year, for a change.

D-Leethal
08-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I think if there is any struggle, its his teammates trying to remember how to play with him. Its been 2 years making due without him and they don't have anyone who can really emulate his game even on a lesser level, so its going to be tough learning how to play off him, how to maneuver around his skillset.

I don't think Rose loses much though, he will still be an all star and all NBA type player.

chitownbulls
08-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Rose wasn't better than Curry/Love/Westbrook even when he won MVP. Just as good, yes, but not a level higher than those guys. He just so happened to be the sexy pick in a year nobody wanted to vote for LeBron again when his team was the "surprise team" that won 60 games.

25/8 while leading his team to 62 wins is definitely a level above Curry and Westbrook. Let's not forget that team also had an injured Noah AND Boozer for large stretches at a time, and Rose was the only consistent offensive option the entire season.

chitownbulls
08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
No way in hell. Rose is dumb as rocks, there's no helping that kind of dumb.

I voted rotational player. When he came back last year he didn't look anything like the old Rose. Understandably, he was still in his head about his knee and his confidence was lacking. But still, he didn't look like the Rose of old.

I think the expectations should also be tempered somewhat because he's not needed as the guy anymore. THe Bulls play well without him and they added Pau. If you're expecting him to regain the MVP type season he had you're going to be disappointed because he doesn't need to be that player on this team anymore.

Ouch. Well if you watch recent interviews he sounds a lot more intelligent, confident and mature than before, but that's all speculation I guess. He may not even be smart off the court, but that doesn't matter. As long as his BBALL IQ is high, he's good. And he could have definitely improved his Bball IQ throughout the last two seasons.

InRoseWeTrust
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM

http://bkref.com/tiny/73XG4

I'm not going to throw in Love, because he's not a guard, so the comparison wouldn't make sense. That being said, Rose was significantly better than Curry and Russ the year he won MVP. He was definitely the "sexy" pick with a strong media narrative supporting his candidacy, but that doesn't negate the fact that he was a superior player.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
25/8 while leading his team to 62 wins is definitely a level above Curry and Westbrook. Let's not forget that team also had an injured Noah AND Boozer for large stretches at a time, and Rose was the only consistent offensive option the entire season.

what does the Bulls record look like without Rose? While he is awesome, there were better that year. The Bulls defense should have won MVP.

dannyy08
08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Top 20 player with an All-Star game appearance.

He said last year he felt like he rushed proving he was "back". Won't make that mistake again. Prob see flashes but not consistently in a grueling 82 game season.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2014, 01:35 PM
http://bkref.com/tiny/73XG4

I'm not going to throw in Love, because he's not a guard, so the comparison wouldn't make sense. That being said, Rose was significantly better than Curry and Russ the year he won MVP. He was definitely the "sexy" pick with a strong media narrative supporting his candidacy, but that doesn't negate the fact that he was a superior player.

he was a bit better than Westy, and much better than Curry that year. But, the Bulls won 62 games out of nowhere, and the world hated LeBron James.

dannyy08
08-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Disagree completely.

chitownbulls
08-01-2014, 04:22 PM
what does the Bulls record look like without Rose? While he is awesome, there were better that year. The Bulls defense should have won MVP.

While I agree, with your comment, the Bulls defense was amazing. I believe that the supporting cast of that team was far weaker than the cast of the last 3 seasons. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but that's ok. Boozer and Noah were injured, Bogans was the starting two gaurd. Not to mention JoNo and Taj are no where near they level they are currently playing at. And the bench mob only really picked up the following season. And we all saw the difference Rose made in the playoffs. We went from blowing out the 76ers to barely putting up a fight.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement, there were obviously far better players that year, but you can't discredit the Rose's importance to the Bulls that season.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
While I agree, with your comment, the Bulls defense was amazing. I believe that the supporting cast of that team was far weaker than the cast of the last 3 seasons. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but that's ok. Boozer and Noah were injured, Bogans was the starting two gaurd. Not to mention JoNo and Taj are no where near they level they are currently playing at. And the bench mob only really picked up the following season. And we all saw the difference Rose made in the playoffs. We went from blowing out the 76ers to barely putting up a fight.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement, there were obviously far better players that year, but you can't discredit the Rose's importance to the Bulls that season.

oh I don't mean to say Rubio could have led that team to 62 wins haha, I am just saying that Rose winning the MVP had a lot more to do with his teams success (and much of that came from being a defensive boa-constrictor, remember how much Chicago outscored their opponents over the course of the season in the 4th quarter, it was like 250 points total), and the fact that the world would have picked anyone over LeBron James.

chitownbulls
08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
oh I don't mean to say Rubio could have led that team to 62 wins haha, I am just saying that Rose winning the MVP had a lot more to do with his teams success (and much of that came from being a defensive boa-constrictor, remember how much Chicago outscored their opponents over the course of the season in the 4th quarter, it was like 250 points total), and the fact that the world would have picked anyone over LeBron James.

Yea, that honestly was probably the biggest reason lol. But i gotchu, very well said

FlashBolt
08-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Rose is starting to get really annoying really fast. Didn't he say Chicago would beat anyone and that he thinks he's the best player while also saying that he doesn't think the Central division has the toughest division? Why is he so cocky and annoying? The dude is 25 and his best season wasn't even impressive compared to what James, Paul, and KD have done. The only reason he won MVP was because Bulls are a great team with or without Rose and the fact that they had a great record. He didn't have an MVP worthy season, tbh. Rose is just annoying to me lately. Needs to stop thinking he's the best player because all it shows is how stupid he really is. That MVP season, he choked and got beat by LeBron very handily. It's one thing to be cocky; it's another to be downright a fool.

AddiX
08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I expect him to look like forrest gump pre leg braces by mid reason.

InRoseWeTrust
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Rose is starting to get really annoying really fast. Didn't he say Chicago would beat anyone and that he thinks he's the best player while also saying that he doesn't think the Central division has the toughest division? Why is he so cocky and annoying? The dude is 25 and his best season wasn't even impressive compared to what James, Paul, and KD have done. The only reason he won MVP was because Bulls are a great team with or without Rose and the fact that they had a great record. He didn't have an MVP worthy season, tbh. Rose is just annoying to me lately. Needs to stop thinking he's the best player because all it shows is how stupid he really is. That MVP season, he choked and got beat by LeBron very handily. It's one thing to be cocky; it's another to be downright a fool.

Lot of guys around the league putting up 25 and 8?

benny01
08-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Actually it is a coincidence. This is what annoys me about this debate. People who are completely ill-informed or not at all continually make ignorant comments. I have three medical proffessionals in my family, an orthopedic nurse, a head trainer at a college and a doctor, and all have told me on different occasions that there is no reason to be concerned about re-injury or loss of explosiveness. Due to the extra season off the ACL is an afterthought and providing that the meniscus repair was successful, his knees are as good or better than ours. but,but,but he was hurt twice in a row, but, but,but your a moron

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Can any of us really know what to expect? We are not in his brain or his body to possibly know what's going on there? It's honestly 50/50 on what to expect. He can come back at full strength from both injuries and end up doing something else just off a minor thing. If he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the offensive burden like before he'll be fine but if Gasol or somebody else goes down and he has to do like he did four years ago.....something bad unfortunately will happen sorry to say. Only guys like LeBron and Kobe in very recent memory have been able to last so long and be so successful and not even guys like Rose can handle as much as those two have been able to shoulder in their respective careers.

FlashBolt
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Lot of guys around the league putting up 25 and 8?

Let me just say, who had a better MVP season? KD or Rose? KD by far and not even close. Rose's MVP year was one of the weakest. 25/8 is nothing to scoff at but let's look at it from an advanced standpoint. His MVP season is one of those Nash seasons in which they played great but hardly worth saying that was the "Real MVP".

Actually it is a coincidence. This is what annoys me about this debate. People who are completely ill-informed or not at all continually make ignorant comments. I have three medical proffessionals in my family, an orthopedic nurse, a head trainer at a college and a doctor, and all have told me on different occasions that there is no reason to be concerned about re-injury or loss of explosiveness. Due to the extra season off the ACL is an afterthought and providing that the meniscus repair was successful, his knees are as good or better than ours. but,but,but he was hurt twice in a row, but, but,but your a moron

Look at the history between people who have had an ACL injury. The odds don't work on your favor. He took two years off essentially so let's see how it works but to say he hasn't lose some sort of explosiveness is a complete lie. A torn ACL does increase the likelihood of an injury to the other knee but maybe your "professional" relatives didn't tell you that a torn ACL on one knee and a torn meniscus on the opposite knee will triple your chances of getting osteoarthritis. Also, why do people act as if Rose took 5 months or 6 months off? He took around a year and a half or so. It's not as if he didn't take long enough. The past three seasons, he's only played 50 games out of a possible 246 (not including playoff games). Either his training staff sucks or his knees aren't as good as it's looking. So regardless of whatever crap your "medical professionals" told you, two knees in a demanding sport such as basketball in which a player relies 100% on their knees for a minimum of 82 games isn't too good. If he comes back better than ever, great. Are you going to bet on him doing so? Surprise me.

dannyy08
08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Let me just say, who had a better MVP season? KD or Rose? KD by far and not even close. Rose's MVP year was one of the weakest. 25/8 is nothing to scoff at but let's look at it from an advanced standpoint.

Your hate for DRose is impressive...

InRoseWeTrust
08-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Let me just say, who had a better MVP season? KD or Rose? KD by far and not even close. Rose's MVP year was one of the weakest. 25/8 is nothing to scoff at but let's look at it from an advanced standpoint.

When did I say Rose's MVP year was better than KD's?

You've now gone from saying his MVP year "wasn't even impressive" to saying it's "nothing to scoff at." You're backtracking, and you know it's because saying Rose's MVP season "wasn't even impressive" is an absolutely asinine and groundless assessment. Can you argue the award should have gone to someone else that season? Of course. IIRC, LeBron and Dwight both had fantastic seasons. But to go to the complete opposite side of the spectrum and say the season wasn't impressive is just silly.

Durant is clearly a better offensive player than Derrick any day of the week. His length and talent are something that haven't been seen in this league for a long time. Does that lessen Derrick's MVP season or make it less impressive? No. Derrick took a team to 62 wins with Keith f'ing Bogans starting at the 2. Noah, while good, wasn't the player he is today. Derrick was the only consistent offensive threat on that team, and as a result basically carried the starting unit's offense for the entire season.

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I want the Bulls to be a more balanced offense when Derrick comes back. The Bulls don't need him averaging 25 to win 62 games. I would like to see Butler get more touches and with Pau giving anywhere between 17 and 19 with Jo in around 12-13 points and Derrick can score 19-20 with double digit assists would make this team run smoother instead of a lot of guys standing around and Rose having to drive in amongst three trees and take punishment with like two seconds left on the clock.

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 06:58 PM
ACL injuries in basketball have become as common as TJ surgery for pitchers in baseball. Guys can come back but it all depends on how much strain you are putting on the rest of your body if you don't get the needed help to take that pressure off. We saw it with LeBron last season when he didn't get the help he was used to receiving.....it took a toll on him and he's the finest conditioned athlete in the league.

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
It's hard to vote on any of those selections because I don't want him to be that same player when he won the MVP. Where it did land them 62 wins during the regular season they became very predictable and easier to defend once they ran into Miami and they threw LeBron on Rose......the offense was stagnant and they lost four in a row because of it.

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I expect him to look like forrest gump pre leg braces by mid reason.

Really nice.

benny01
08-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Let me just say, who had a better MVP season? KD or Rose? KD by far and not even close. Rose's MVP year was one of the weakest. 25/8 is nothing to scoff at but let's look at it from an advanced standpoint. His MVP season is one of those Nash seasons in which they played great but hardly worth saying that was the "Real MVP".

Look at the history between people who have had an ACL injury. The odds don't work on your favor. He took two years off essentially so let's see how it works but to say he hasn't lose some sort of explosiveness is a complete lie. A torn ACL does increase the likelihood of an injury to the other knee but maybe your "professional" relatives didn't tell you that a torn ACL on one knee and a torn meniscus on the opposite knee will triple your chances of getting osteoarthritis. Also, why do people act as if Rose took 5 months or 6 months off? He took around a year and a half or so. It's not as if he didn't take long enough. The past three seasons, he's only played 50 games out of a possible 246 (not including playoff games). Either his training staff sucks or his knees aren't as good as it's looking. So regardless of whatever crap your "medical professionals" told you, two knees in a demanding sport such as basketball in which a player relies 100% on their knees for a minimum of 82 games isn't too good. If he comes back better than ever, great. Are you going to bet on him doing so? Surprise me.
Don't know where your getting the triple chances of osteoarthritis, out of thin air i presume. Had he had the meniscus removed he would be virtually guaranteed to have osteoarthritis, but it was repaired and by all accounts sucessfully. ACL injuries can increase the likelihood of injury to the other knee and ankle not to mention the to the knee and ankle on the injured leg, but that likelihood only remains statistically for 18 months after surgery. This is generally due to the person compensating for the original injury. If your saying that he will be rusty due to having not played in two years, I would agree, but that has nothing to do with his knees, nor does it affect his explosiveness. I'm gonna go ahead and trust people who deal with this injury on a daily basis, one in such a demanding sport as basketball, not to mention all of the data and studies that they see over some dude on the interweb anyway.

east fb knicks
08-01-2014, 09:34 PM
just saw rose look like his old self in the blue white game he looks as good as ever

NBA_Starter
08-01-2014, 10:01 PM
A monster is what to expect if he is healthy.

SILVER SEAVER
08-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Rose is just going to have to prove the nay sayers wrong. The guy isn't Greg Oden for crying out loud.....he still has a very productive career ahead of him as long as he doesn't try to keep running through brick walls.

cooters22
08-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Two years out in any sport is almost impossible to come back the same from. I've tried to think of some and just can't. So I said no, wish the guy the best of luck though.

prodigy
08-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I want the Bulls to be a more balanced offense when Derrick comes back. The Bulls don't need him averaging 25 to win 62 games.

Ehhh, lol he would need too. Rose and gasol are the main scoring options on that team that worries anyone. To win 62 games in a more balanced east and most importantly beat Cleveland he would need to be great.

Confusious
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I expect his brother to be making up excuses for the team not being good enough while Derrick is in his suit on the bench.

Consistency is everything, right? What else do we have to go on in the last couple of seasons?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I think he'll get back to an All-Star level of play this season, but not MVP level for another year or two.

NBA_Starter
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
He looked pretty good to me, he is back!

Cohiba
08-03-2014, 12:18 AM
He's gonna land a sweet sponsorship deal with Mens Warehouse

Who else gets more screen time for wearing suits on national TV?

NBA_Starter
08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Man, that is low. :speechless:

KG2TB
08-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah....and just a dumb joke....don't think Rose or any NBA player shops at Men's Warehouse....just dumb...

MDD
08-03-2014, 10:36 PM
That was actually pretty funny and I'm a huge D Rose fan.

jp611
08-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I expect his brother to be making up excuses for the team not being good enough while Derrick is in his suit on the bench.

Consistency is everything, right? What else do we have to go on in the last couple of seasons?

:laugh2:

Wait? Weren't you a Bulls fan at one point lmao?

east fb knicks
08-03-2014, 10:49 PM
:laugh2:

Wait? Weren't you a Bulls fan at one point lmao?

lmao I guess he saw the light:clap:

Big Zo
08-03-2014, 10:55 PM
It's just hard to picture him being the same again. You look at Wade with his knee issues, and even he hasn't had to miss full seasons. He can still be a good player that goes off in spurts, but I don't think he'll ever look like he did in 2011.

Cohiba
08-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Yeah....and just a dumb joke....don't think Rose or any NBA player shops at Men's Warehouse....just dumb...

Your gonna like the way you look, D Rose guarantees it.

KG2TB
08-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Your gonna like the way you look, D Rose guarantees it.

that was better...

Cohiba
08-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Lol

I'd like to see him regain his form, don't wanna see Rose turn out like Grant Hill or Brandon Roy...super talented but never got to fully utilize it because of injury. And they are probably the only team that could realistically contend in the finals against whoever comes out in the West, but they would need Rose to do that.

If he's back to what he was - Bulls are the best in the East, Love to the Cavs or not, and especially with the George injury. Wizards are on the way up but aren't there quite yet.

jp611
08-03-2014, 11:43 PM
It's just hard to picture him being the same again. You look at Wade with his knee issues, and even he hasn't had to miss full seasons. He can still be a good player that goes off in spurts, but I don't think he'll ever look like he did in 2011.

Apples to oranges here.

D-Rose took the route of surgery that requires more time to heal, but has a much better long-term prognosis for the patient.

D-Wade did the exact opposite and had the quick surgery so he could get back to playing sooner. The reason we're seeing D-Wade decline is because of these surgeries. He, himself has said that he maybe should have taken the safer route in the past. That being said, D-Wade was still awesome last year.

I also have my doubts about Rose ever being the player he once was, but I feel less worried about long-term prognosis because he took the safe route for surgery.

Big Zo
08-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Apples to oranges here.

D-Rose took the route of surgery that requires more time to heal, but has a much better long-term prognosis for the patient.

D-Wade did the exact opposite and had the quick surgery so he could get back to playing sooner. The reason we're seeing D-Wade decline is because of these surgeries. He, himself has said that he maybe should have taken the safer route in the past. That being said, D-Wade was still awesome last year.

I also have my doubts about Rose ever being the player he once was, but I feel less worried about long-term prognosis because he took the safe route for surgery.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rose had the option of a lesser surgery than what he had. Besides, he too returned early in 2012 after missing a bunch of regular season games.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-04-2014, 02:41 PM
With his meniscus he did have that option this year.

jp611
08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Rose had the option of a lesser surgery than what he had. Besides, he too returned early in 2012 after missing a bunch of regular season games.

Yes, you're wrong.

Rose could have came back last season had he taken the option of having his meniscus removed. Dwyane Wade did that. Rose opted not to.

And Rose didn't have major knee injuries in 2012, so that doesn't make any sense and is completely beyond the point.

Blitzace137
08-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Yea but Rose is younger so his recovery process is probably better than Wade's not to mention he took the safer route with his surgeries.

Big Zo
08-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes, you're wrong.

Rose could have came back last season had he taken the option of having his meniscus removed. Dwyane Wade did that. Rose opted not to.

And Rose didn't have major knee injuries in 2012, so that doesn't make any sense and is completely beyond the point.

Rose played in just 39 out of 66 games in 2012. I don't remember why, but i'm guessing it was something knee related. Either way, both players have had knee issues, and both rely on an aggressive style, so I don't think it's as far as comparing "Apples to oranges."

InRoseWeTrust
08-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Rose played in just 39 out of 66 games in 2012. I don't remember why, but i'm guessing it was something knee related. Either way, both players have had knee issues, and both rely on an aggressive style, so I don't think it's as far as comparing "Apples to oranges."

The 39/66 games was a handful of stuff, but nothing actually knee related. It was mostly back and groin, if I remember correctly.

I think the biggest difference between Derrick and Wade is that Wade had a completely different procedure (meniscus removal), which has serious consequences later in one's career:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9760169/dwyane-wade-miami-heat-regrets-having-meniscus-removed-college

smiddy012
08-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Gotta admit I'm a little surprised how athletic Rose still is after the two major surgeries. Dude is just as much a freak now as he was before, if not more. Seems like I forget how well-rounded of an athlete he is, dude moves like poetry at times.