PDA

View Full Version : Predict Breakout Season

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:09 PM
So... who do you think will have a breakout season this year and take that leap from :down: to :clap:

Harrison Barnes?
Ben McLemore?
Tobias Harris?
Tony Snell?

Someone else?

Monta is beast
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
I think Draymond contends for 6th man if he doesnt start over lee

BHF
07-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Terrence Ross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6UQqUePrU

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Another Kawhi FMVP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZnDK-L1xY

JEDean89
07-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Ross is a good bet, I usually look at players in their 3rd year when trying to predict breakouts. I expect Drummond to take the leap, MKG, Terrence Jones and Jeremy lamb to all prove they are gonna be in this league a long time. I look at guys like Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, Enes Kanter, Brandon Knight and Iman Shumpert as all having borderline allstar potential, I am just waiting for some of those guys to prove it.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Ross is a good bet, I usually look at players in their 3rd year when trying to predict breakouts. I expect Drummond to take the leap, MKG, Terrence Jones and Jeremy lamb to all prove they are gonna be in this league a long time. I look at guys like Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, Enes Kanter, Brandon Knight and Iman Shumpert as all having borderline allstar potential, I am just waiting for some of those guys to prove it.

I feel like I've been waiting for Favors to break out for a couple years now... big guys are slower at developing though, usually.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Another Kawhi FMVP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZnDK-L1xY

After winning a chip and the finals mvp, how much of a "breakout" can you have? lol. He's had his breakout year.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 04:37 PM

It's funny because I did this list last year and Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter came up a lot. Lot of people correctly identified stand-out seasons from Demarcus Cousins and John Wall. This year is a little trickier.

I think Jonas Valanciunas could take a big step forward. Then I like guys like Victor Oladipo, Tim Hardaway Jr., and somebody on the Bucks has to breakout at some point right?

ManRam
07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
So... who do you think will have a breakout season this year and take that leap from :down: to :clap:

Harrison Barnes?
Ben McLemore?
Tobias Harris?
Tony Snell?

Someone else?

I don't think any four of those guys will break out. I wish Harris would, but I see much of the same for all-4.

I think Bennett will improve upon his rookie year in huge ways.
Giannis is always a good choice
CJ McCollum
I think Beal has so much room for improvement still
Jeremy Lamb
Beverley

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Z8kiOt5NU

Kaner
07-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Drummond
Anthony Davis- He should be a undisputed top 5 and probably #3 player next season
Darren Collison
Tony Snell
Otto Porter?- somebody has to pick up the slack (and minutes) for Ariza leaving
Bennett- will look alot better

robdog_5
07-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Hope it's Avery Bradley. He's slowly been getting better and better. Boston just signed him to 4 yrs 32 mil which could be a bargain if he can continue to improve.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
After winning a chip and the finals mvp, how much of a "breakout" can you have? lol. He's had his breakout year.

People still underrate him. They won't say nothing after he wins another one. I'm glad you at least know he had a breakout year.

Bruno
07-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Giannis.
Hardaway Jr.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 04:54 PM
People still underrate him. They won't say nothing after he wins another one. I'm glad you at least know he had a breakout year.

People still underrate him? Really?

I mean, I guess the team effort by the Spurs might be the greatest I've seen in a finals, at least one of the greatest. So I can sort of get why people might underrate him by thinking it's unfair to single out one player.

But still, any basketball fan worth his salt can see Leonard had a great year. Especially in the playoffs.

Sactown
07-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Drummond
Anthony Davis- He should be a undisputed top 5 and probably #3 player next season
Darren Collison
Tony Snell
Otto Porter?- somebody has to pick up the slack (and minutes) for Ariza leaving
Bennett- will look alot better

That's a huge leap for Davis.... Top 3 player..

I'm excited to see Otto

bucketss
07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
jonas valanciaunas

Chucky Woods
07-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Giannis Antetokounmpo

FlashBolt
07-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Man.. Anthony Davis has so much potential it's pretty damn scary. This guy is something special and will probably be the next great PF of our league. No disrespect to Blake, Love, or LA but Anthony Davis is the real deal. As good as Kuwai might be, Tony Parker is the 1st option on that team and with that being said, I really doubt he's going to have a "breakout" season.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Man.. Anthony Davis has so much potential it's pretty damn scary. This guy is something special and will probably be the next great PF of our league. No disrespect to Blake, Love, or LA but Anthony Davis is the real deal. As good as Kuwai might be, Tony Parker is the 1st option on that team and with that being said, I really doubt he's going to have a "breakout" season.

I guess he just has to settle for a FMVP then. Poor Kawhi.

PacersForLife
07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Giannis
Beal
Drummond
Hardaway Jr.

kdspurman
07-30-2014, 05:44 PM

I don't think Kawhi will have a breakout season either based on how the Spurs play. I don't really know if they have a 1st option either. That being said, I think his numbers could go up from last year.

And I agree with you about Davis taking on that label as the top PF. He seems to have all the tools and skills to dominant the game on both ends. I'm looking forward to seeing his game progress

Jamiecballer
07-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Everyone will break out but will look worse next to the great Kobe.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Anthony Davis already broke out...

Also, am I the only one who is not feeling the Giannis love?

5ass
07-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Oladipo
Giannis
John Henson
Terrence Jones
Homer pick: Evan Fournier

A lot of good ones mentioned in this thread.

FlashBolt
07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I guess he just has to settle for a FMVP then. Poor Kawhi.

Just because he was FMVP doesn't mean he had a breakout season.. I'm thinking more-so the Most Improved player sort of thing and I certainly don't think Kawhi had that or will have that. It's the team he is playing for that lowers his chances. The past FMVP's he's probably only better than Chauncey Billups - and that was a Detroit team that had the best starting team in NBA.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Just because he was FMVP doesn't mean he had a breakout season.. I'm thinking more-so the Most Improved player sort of thing and I certainly don't think Kawhi had that or will have that. It's the team he is playing for that lowers his chances. The past FMVP's he's probably only better than Chauncey Billups - and that was a Detroit team that had the best starting team in NBA.

Kiss the ring.

FlashBolt
07-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Kiss the ring.

I never thought a Spurs fan would act like a Lakers or Heat fan.. Guess I found one.

Ariza's Better
07-30-2014, 06:12 PM
League: Gianis, ross, oladipo
Homer picks: jones, Dmo, Canaan

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
I never thought a Spurs fan would act like a Lakers or Heat fan.. Guess I found one.

Glad you found one.

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Hope it's Avery Bradley. He's slowly been getting better and better. Boston just signed him to 4 yrs 32 mil which could be a bargain if he can continue to improve.

Bradley needs to continue to improve just to justify that contract. He would have to make a major leap before we can talk about that contract being a bargain.

Kaner
07-30-2014, 06:43 PM

By breakout I mean in the way KD said recently in that he'll be the next in line to win a MVP (not next season but he'll be there) and join Lebron and Durant in the upper echelon of the league

Vinny642
07-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Austin Rivers

JEDean89
07-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Giannis has as much potential as anyone on the planet but my guess is he will break out in year 3. he still has to work on his jumper, handles and body and the bucks will need to get someone to pass him the ball before he truly breaks out. if you don't love giannis, i don't know how you love bball, he has probably the best physical tools i've ever seen for the game.

smith&wesson
07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Terrence Ross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6UQqUePrU

+1

PurpleLynch
07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Davis and Drummond should have breakout seasons.
Giannis has a lot of potential,but I think he needs three more years.But watch out for him,if he improves handles,shooting ability and defense he will be a monster.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 08:12 PM
By breakout I mean in the way KD said recently in that he'll be the next in line to win a MVP (not next season but he'll be there) and join Lebron and Durant in the upper echelon of the league

His PER last season was better than any season Lamarcus Aldridge ever had in his entire career. He was behind only LeBron/KD/Love. He averaged 20-10 last season. He led the league in blocks per game and block percentage. He didn't just break out he smashed out.

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Giannis has as much potential as anyone on the planet but my guess is he will break out in year 3. he still has to work on his jumper, handles and body and the bucks will need to get someone to pass him the ball before he truly breaks out. if you don't love giannis, i don't know how you love bball, he has probably the best physical tools i've ever seen for the game.

Giannis has a lot of potential,but I think he needs three more years.But watch out for him,if he improves handles,shooting ability and defense he will be a monster.

Yeah if Giannis learns how to shoot, dribble, and play defense he will be REALLY GOOD... cause you know... those things are kinda important.

Iggz53
07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Jordan Hill and Terrence Ross

Vinny642
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I dont get why people are saying Davis(and even Drummond) will break out, last season was their breakout seasons... have you seen the numbers they put up?

KnicksorBust
07-30-2014, 08:53 PM
I dont get why people are saying Davis(and even Drummond) will break out, last season was their breakout seasons... have you seen the numbers they put up?

1. I already made this point. Twice. Just quote the post 3 above you next time.

2. Drummond is debatable. Is 13.5ppg really his ceiling? He didn't even make the all-star team let alone an All-NBA team.

PurpleLynch
07-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Yeah if Giannis learns how to shoot, dribble, and play defense he will be REALLY GOOD... cause you know... those things are kinda important.

:eyebrow:

Yes indeed sir. You are very smart!

Seizabmc
07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Tim hardaway jr
Iman shumpert
Reggie Jackson
Larry sanders
Kenith faried
Patrick Beverly
Terence Ross
Kemba walker
Harrison Barnes
Greg Monroe

But the three guys who have already been playing fantastic , that I think we play even better and really explode on the scene will be ,
1 Damien lilard
2 Bradley beil
3 lance Stephenson

The one guy who already had is break out year but went down hill,
Who I think will have a pronominal season playing for a new coach with a new system and being mentored by Phil Jackson himself
And will want to prove to everyone that he belongs in the league, will be jr smith !

If he can just stay focused and leave the party life at the door than he may just be able to show the world that he should be considered a top five Sg in the nba.

Jumba
07-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Homer pick and for contract reasons and my own sanity: Gordon Hayward

But also:
Bradley Beal

Vinny642
07-30-2014, 09:37 PM
1. I already made this point. Twice. Just quote the post 3 above you next time.

2. Drummond is debatable. Is 13.5ppg really his ceiling? He didn't even make the all-star team let alone an All-NBA team.

His ceiling, no, but I dont think he'll be a 20-10 guy next season, I see 16-11.5, likely.

ewing
07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Homer pick and for contract reasons and my own sanity: Gordon Hayward

But also:
Bradley Beal

I think people will sit up and notice Beal. I already think he's awesome

Coilz
07-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Eric Bledsoe I hope.

ewing
07-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Oladipo
Giannis
John Henson
Terrence Jones
Homer pick: Evan Fournier

A lot of good ones mentioned in this thread.

i like that kid a lot

Monta is beast
07-30-2014, 11:22 PM
starting a team whu u got drummond or giannis

Mr.B
07-30-2014, 11:59 PM
No one mentioned it but I can not wait to see Chandler Parson in Carlisle's offense. He had a "role player" caliber season his first 3 years in the league and think he is poised for a breakout season playing opposite Dirk and Monte. Another guy I think is going to have a good season (not quite breakout) is Gal Mekel. He had a good summer league and considering he's a pass first PG and has a high basketball IQ he could surprise a lot of people this year.

5ass
07-31-2014, 12:42 AM
i like that kid a lot
I believe that soon he's going to become a very popular player among fans of other teams. He has the right character and attitude (so far). A lot of great players praise him. Rose, Durant, wade, ect.
I posted this in the magic forum today

From Chicago star point guard Derrick Rose, who looked on in amazement last January when Oladipo pumped in 35 points, eight assists and three steals: Hes a great player already. I love how he plays and he plays with so much confidence. He totally deserves to be up here (with team USA) and Im already a big fan of his. I love how he takes the game so serious.

Im here for him if he ever needs me, Rose said after hearing that Oladipo hopes to pick his brain during his time with USA Basketball. I know how serious he takes it. Hes such a talent with his size, what he can do on the floor and how he reads opponents, especially defensively. Hes a big-time talent.
You gotta love both rose and oladipo.
He's also the type of guy that would be willing to recruit star FAs, and who doesn't want to play with a guy like oladipo?

ewing
07-31-2014, 12:46 AM
I believe that soon he's going to become a very popular player among fans of other teams. He has the right character and attitude (so far). A lot of great players praise him. Rose, Durant, wade, ect.
He's also the type of guy that would be willing to recruit star FAs, and who doesn't want to play with a guy like oladipo?

He's got PG skills to. I didn't quite buy it at first but that kid has the tools to be a good

XpLiCiTT
07-31-2014, 12:53 AM
Anthony Davis already broke out but I feel this will be his true breakout season because he will emerge as a truly recognized top player.

Also think Bradley Beal will breakout.

5ass
07-31-2014, 12:54 AM
He's got PG skills to. I didn't quite buy it at first but that kid has the tools to be a good

No surprise, no one bought it at first. I didn't watch him in college, but a lot of people didn't see the star potential. Now its starting to show.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-31-2014, 01:57 AM
I think Beal and Cousins will become all-stars this season. Could see McLemore take a jump too.

thechom80
07-31-2014, 02:52 AM
Drummond is already a beast.

Giannis is my pick.

0nekhmer
07-31-2014, 05:16 AM
Just from watching some summer league, i like caldwell pope, glen rice jr, otto porter. Other names that i see growing into borderline stars are Bradley beal, thobias harris, avery bradley. Then the inconsistent guys who become consistent: terrence ross, tim hardaway jr, giannas intabikoooo

ManRam
07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Both Drummand and Davis weren't amazing defensively last year. Both have the potential to be absolute defensive stalwarts, but for whatever reason just weren't last year. That's where they can most obviously improve, as weird as it might sound. There is definitely a big step forward both can take, be it defensively, offensively, carrying a team, as leaders, and so on. The basic points, rebounds and block numbers are there, but there's more to it than just that

KnicksorBust
07-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Both Drummand and Davis weren't amazing defensively last year. Both have the potential to be absolute defensive stalwarts, but for whatever reason just weren't last year. That's where they can most obviously improve, as weird as it might sound. There is definitely a big step forward both can take, be it defensively, offensively, carrying a team, as leaders, and so on. The basic points, rebounds and block numbers are there, but there's more to it than just that

There is a big difference between a player who can still take "a big step forward" and a player that has a breakout season. Davis had his breakout season and now he is a consensus all-star caliber player and his stats argue him even higher.

49ersLALSFGiant
07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Ray McCollum

<---cop
07-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Davis
THJr
Bennett
Cole Aldrich

TheNumber37
07-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Kawhi for sure.
For the home team... I think Hardaway JR makes strides. I think Shumpert has his best pro season.

I think if Thad Young gets traded he breaks out.

Oefarmy2005
07-31-2014, 10:54 PM
I think Jeremy Lamb and Beal have a good shot. My homer pick is Rubio if Love is moved.

DemarDerozan
07-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Ross
Drummond
Faried
Jonas V
Burks
Tobias Harris
MKG
One or both of the Morris twins
One or both of the Plumlee's

Sleeper Picks: Tony Wroten and Ed Davis

Coma picks: Andrew Nicholson and Moe Harkless

Kawhi and Anthony Davis have already broke out IMO. Finals MVP and All Star.

DemarDerozan
07-31-2014, 11:15 PM
Really surprised no one mentioned any of the Suns so far.

Also John Henson might be really good.

CityofChaos
07-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Jared Sullinger is underrated and he SHOULD have a breakout season. The kid is a beast under the basket and has a solid post up game for someone that's only 22. He also has a decent jumpshot that he's hopefully been working this summer on as well as his weight.

ewing
07-31-2014, 11:22 PM
what about Tobias Harris. I like some these young magic players and the team is awful.

5ass
07-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Harris could break out. He had a down year last year, he was injured and he said he was never 100% last season. The go-to-scorer role is his if he shows he's somewhat capable.
Nicholson is fighting for minutes with Frye, Gordon, and Harris. I dont think he will break out at all. I don't think he's a bad player. He's a very good post player with a good jumpshot.
Moe harkless could break out, but he's still too young and raw IMO. I think he's the type of player that will just slowly improve.
I think oladipo will have somewhat of a break out year, I think he improves his efficiency this year and plays like a top 10 sg.
I think Fournier will improve his stats the most out of all the magic players though.

clehmun
08-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Demar DeRozan. I know he was already an All-Star but I think he takes the next step next year similar to what Paul George did last year.

I feel like the Raptors in 2014-2015 will be the Pacers of 2013-2014, hopefully minus the locker room distraction and falling apart in 2nd half of the season.

JAZZNC
08-01-2014, 12:25 AM
So basically if he gets good at basketball he will be good at basketball?

Davis and Beal.

Sadds The Gr8
08-01-2014, 04:00 AM

I wasn't on the giannis wagon but after watching him in summer league (yea I know its just summer league), I was intrigued with his skill set.

I think boogie cousins breaks out this year and becomes an all-star.

Munkeysuit
08-01-2014, 05:32 AM
John Wall...remember I said this.

NYKNYGNYY
08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Cole Aldrich especially with Tyson gone I wouldn't be surprised if he took over for dalembert at some point

PhillyFaninLA
08-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Kawhi for sure.
For the home team... I think Hardaway JR makes strides. I think Shumpert has his best pro season.

I think if Thad Young gets traded he breaks out.

I'm pretty sure Thad is in the Kevin Love deal with Dion Waters coming to Philly

ewing
08-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Cole Aldrich especially with Tyson gone I wouldn't be surprised if he took over for dalembert at some point

Not a big Aldrich fan. He seems to have a decent skill level much not much of a motor. I actually like Tyler.