PDA

View Full Version : Will Dwight Howard win another DPOY award again?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-30-2014, 12:06 PM
In 2008-2010 season Howard racked up three consecutive DPOY awards. Last three seasons Chandler, Gasol and Noah have been better.

Will he get a 4th one or even more? Wallace and Mutombo both have four DPOYs. Dwight is 3rd on the list with three DPOYs.

Could he be already past of his defensive prime or is it just the injuries that are holding him back...or maybe being in a bad defensive team like D'antoni's Lakers and Rockets?

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey now these threads aren't allowed! Of course Dwight will win DPOY every year until he retires.

ghettosean
07-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Just to add no he will never win one again.... He's not even close to the defensive beast he once was.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Hey now these threads aren't allowed! Of course Dwight will win DPOY every year until he retires.

What?

Since he had that back injury in 2011 season his game has never been the same especially defensively.

GiantsSwaGG
07-30-2014, 12:32 PM

NYKnickFanatic
07-30-2014, 12:33 PM
And to answer the question; NO.

Clippersfan86
07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Doubtful. While he's mostly returned to form on offense since his back/shoulder injury, his defense hasn't recovered the same.

ManRam
07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Regardless of the stupid PSD-mandate about Rockets-related threads, this obsession with Dwight from Lakers fans is kinda hilarious.

Will he? I don't ****ing know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Can he? Perhaps. He finished 8th last year. He was 6th in DRPM (behind KG, Sanders, Duncan, Gasol, Bogut). He's gonna have to get those blocks up because I'm sure voters care about stuff like that. And Houston's team defense will have to improve.

It's possible. Probable? Not really. Thread-worthy? :yawn:

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
What?

Since he had that back injury in 2011 season his game has never been the same especially defensively.
No no. Dwight is the greatest C of all time. He's perfect at everything. Will probably win the next 7 MVP awards too

Coilz
07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
No he probably won't.

But he's on a team where he doesn't need to be the best defensive player in the league for them to be a contender. I've read the Houston hate on the board, and I completely get that they made mistakes. But they have good defenders at every position, and Howard being DPOY would only be a bonus.

hugepatsfan
07-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Reported for disrespecting the Sacred Fanbase.

hugepatsfan
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
No he probably won't.

But he's on a team where he doesn't need to be the best defensive player in the league for them to be a contender. I've read the Houston hate on the board, and I completely get that they made mistakes. But they have good defenders at every position, and Howard being DPOY would only be a bonus.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic on the second part and making fun of how we can only say nice things about HOU otherwise they'll get all in their feelings. You don't honestly believe that Harden is a good defender, do you?

abe_froman
07-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Regardless of the stupid PSD-mandate about Rockets-related threads, this obsession with Dwight from Lakers fans is kinda hilarious.

this!

Coilz
07-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Please tell me you're being sarcastic on the second part and making fun of how we can only say nice things about HOU otherwise they'll get all in their feelings. You don't honestly believe that Harden is a good defender, do you?

I knew someone would bring up Harden lol. I gave him a slight pass because of what he does offensively. It's a stretch to call him a "good defender" I'd admit.

hugepatsfan
07-30-2014, 01:18 PM
A stretch? :laugh2:

Coilz
07-30-2014, 01:21 PM
A stretch? :laugh2:

Ok ok I'll admit it. He's a bad defender.

:(

Sadds The Gr8
07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Doubt it

ManRam
07-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Ok ok I'll admit it. He's a bad defender.

:(

Terrence Jones is a terrible defender too.

3/5ths of their starting five are great defenders. And you can hide a guy like Harden on defense when you have a point and a wing that can defend. Harden's defense blows, but it's not crippling. However, there's not much defensive help on the bench though either.

c.c.
07-30-2014, 01:42 PM
:facepalm:

c.c.
07-30-2014, 01:48 PM
You guys can sit around and come up with all the silly Rockets threads you want (which I been ignoring). Even with the dip in our team depth and the lost of Parsons, a lot of you guys still wish your team had our roster!

Bruno
07-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't think so. you generally have to lead your team to a top five defensive record and Houston doesn't have enough defenders around him to get that done.

Goose17
07-30-2014, 02:19 PM
He could, but he'll have to take some time off from saving all those orphans from fires and rescuing cats from tree's. What an incredible man. Great role model.

dalton749
07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
When harden has to play defence he's awful lol
Aka playoffs

ManRam
07-30-2014, 02:29 PM
He could, but he'll have to take some time off from saving all those orphans from fires and rescuing cats from tree's. What an incredible man. Great role model.

The notion that more people defend Dwight than bash Dwight is delusional, at best...

hugepatsfan
07-30-2014, 02:40 PM
The notion that more people defend Dwight than bash Dwight is delusional, at best...

That's not what he's making fun of. He's mocking how we can't say negative things about the Rockets or any of their players anymore because of the new rules. Even though lots of other fanbases have been targeted the same way/worse.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Nope.

L8kers4life
07-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Will he? I don't ****ing know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Can he? Perhaps. He finished 8th last year. He was 6th in DRPM (behind KG, Sanders, Duncan, Gasol, Bogut). He's gonna have to get those blocks up because I'm sure voters care about stuff like that. And Houston's team defense will have to improve.

It's possible. Probable? Not really. Thread-worthy? :yawn:

Seriously these threads are getting out of control, I'm a Lakers fan and even I'm tired of Dwight and Rockets thread.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Seriously these threads are getting out of control, I'm a Lakers fan and even I'm tired of Dwight and Rockets thread.

I still laugh. They'll blow over quick anyways. Just let it run its cycle.

ManRam
07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
That's not what he's making fun of. He's mocking how we can't say negative things about the Rockets or any of their players anymore because of the new rules. Even though lots of other fanbases have been targeted the same way/worse.

Aha. I understand. I agree the rule is stupid. The Rox are getting a ton of stupid **** from a few terrible posters...but nothing more than many teams before them have gotten. It's REALLY bizarre.

GREATNESS ONE
07-30-2014, 05:49 PM

:nod: exactly.

ghettosean
07-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Exactly... Stupidest rule on PSD... Don't say anything bad about the this team except for sugar and spice and everything nice :facepalm:

How oversensitive can you be as a fanbase... honestly.

FlashBolt
07-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Not with Harden on the team constantly screwing up leading to Howard's man getting a free bucket. If Houston wants to win, Harden and Dwight needs to be at the top of their position. I don't consider Harden the top SG just based on this fact: He cannot play defense. If he unloads all his energy on the offensive end, what is the point? He's letting other opponents score just as easy and that essentially erases Harden's effect on the offensive end. A top SG or top player of their position should be elite on one end and at least great on the other end. Not the case for Harden or Dwight. Dwight still cannot score or hit free throws.

Saddletramp
07-30-2014, 06:17 PM
And this is why Rockets bait threads get closed because the same trolls say the same things and now those same trolls are running with the "we can't troll the Rockets fans so they're the ones who are butthurt" garbage.

If you want to discus the subject at hand*, feel free. If you're just going to troll, grow up and go away.

"And pretty sure, due to the timing of this question and it's source, it's a thinly veiled troll job but it's at least an actual conversation starter.

As for the question......it's possible. Who knows. Not thread worthy .

mightybosstone
07-30-2014, 07:48 PM
I know everyone expects me to lose my ****, and frankly I don't care anymore. But are people starting to see how ridiculous this is? Sure, Dwight winning DPOY again would be a mildly interesting discussion in the Rockets forum in a boring week. But the only reason someone posted this on the front page was to deliberately troll Rockets fans and in spite of what the mods asked posters specifically not to do. Notice that there aren't any threads about any other player ever winning an award again on the front page. Yet this is the second Dwight-specific award thread that's been posted in the last 2-3 days.

It's not about posting newsworthy Rockets threads. It's about coming up with some new angle to take a shot a the Rockets and get under the skin of the team's fan base.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-30-2014, 07:59 PM
The constant rocket trolling is getting a little ridiculous. Having said that, if Rocket fans just avoid these threads instead of *****ing in them. Hate threads don't have legs if there is no one to complain about them.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Why do ya keep bumping this thread? Stop already.

bucketss
07-30-2014, 09:28 PM
are the rockets the new HEAT or something?

Saddletramp
07-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Ban worthy with sh1t like this. Targeting many members of this forum. Seriously? I haven't seen you add anything worthy of sports talk. Why don't you go to clutchfans so you can all jerk each other off?

Lol, dude. View my posts and view yours and see who trolls/doesn't talk sports. It's simple . If you don't want to be lumped in with mastermind trolls like ghettosean, ThuglifeJ, Goingfor2B and apparently now hugepatsfan, then stop trolling. Really, really simple .

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 09:33 PM
It's not news to anyone who the trolls are.

You, thuglife, p &g , going428. Etc.

Yall all post in the same threads about how rox are this. Daryl Morey is that. Harden is this. Dwight is that.

Move on with your lives. Clearly there's some vendetta against the rockets around these forums.

We didn't ask for the mod to make the anti rox message but at this point it's necessary.

I've rarely been on here since 3 weeks. I even missed all the rocket hating, but u accuse me of trolling the rockets? If I wanted to troll them, I'd go on my clutchfans account. lol There really is puccification of Houston fans. Have fun with another first round exit.

Shlumpledink
07-30-2014, 09:42 PM
who knows, this award is a joke nowadays.

SPURSFAN1
07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
People have ignored it but it's gotten out of control. If u can't see that then that's your issue.

I even advocated people to stop but some dumb *** saddle keeps ****ing bumping this thread. It's cry baby houston fans that keep bumping these stupid threads and then play the victim game.

jimm120
07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
I say no.

Just like Lebron, everyone was also worried about Dwight. A lot of their games were because of athletecism. Lebron made sure to improve weak areas. Dwight didn't.

Dwight just hasn't been the same since the back injury. The impact just isn't there. He'll still give some pretty good stats, but the defensive impact isn't there.

Look at Tyson Chandler in 2012-13. His stats were VASTLY worse than Dwight's, but the impact that Tyson had in 2011-12 and the 2012-13 seasons on the defensive end for the Knicks was incredible. Dwight had an even BIGGER impact 2011 and below...but not since the injury. He'll get thes tats, but the impact and how he affects the game defensively just isn't the same.

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Lol, dude. View my posts and view yours and see who trolls/doesn't talk sports. It's simple . If you don't want to be lumped in with mastermind trolls like ghettosean, ThuglifeJ, Goingfor2B and apparently now hugepatsfan, then stop trolling. Really, really simple .

It is 28. Not 2B. Thank you.

Ariza's Better
07-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I say no. The award is now heading towards more team efforts and recognising the best defender on that team rather than recognising individual efforts which will work against Dwight.

TheMightyHumph
07-30-2014, 10:40 PM
In 2008-2010 season Howard racked up three consecutive DPOY awards. Last three seasons Chandler, Gasol and Noah have been better.

Will he get a 4th one or even more? Wallace and Mutombo both have four DPOYs. Dwight is 3rd on the list with three DPOYs.

Why would anyone even care?

goingfor28
07-30-2014, 10:57 PM
I promise I will end w the wise *** remarks about the Rockets. When a "be nice to Houston fans " thread goes up and is stickied it's kind of hard not to poke fun a little bit.
But. I will chill w the sarcastic posts
:love:

Rush
07-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Closing this thread.

The Rocket fans are correct. There has been a recent increase in Rockets threads for whatever reason and the majority aren't meant to simply discuss. It's no coincidence that some were made by certain Laker fans. There were barbs thrown in towards the Rockets team/Dwight Howard. They may not have been meant to upset Rockets fans specifically, I'd guess it's also because they're still upset that Howard left and anything to get back at them they'll say. But it needs to stop.

kingsdelez24
07-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Its like ever since the LeBron left the heat, all the unnecessary Heat threads have turned into unnecessary Rockets threads

goingfor28
07-31-2014, 01:57 AM
Closing this thread.

I see.....

Monta is beast
07-31-2014, 02:21 AM
Dont see it. Since that back surgery he's been a shell of himself on the defensive end

thechom80
07-31-2014, 02:44 AM
I want to say no and share reasons why, but.....

Saddletramp
07-31-2014, 05:53 AM
I want to say no and share reasons why, but.....

Go ahead. As long as you stay on topic it's a legitimate question. Honestly, I think he has just as much a chance as just about anyone but Noah. That guy is usually on a different level and with a defensive minded coach? He's the guy to watch.

Goose17
07-31-2014, 06:17 AM
Closing this thread.

The Rocket fans are correct. There has been a recent increase in Rockets threads for whatever reason and the majority aren't meant to simply discuss. It's no coincidence that some were made by certain Laker fans. There were barbs thrown in towards the Rockets team/Dwight Howard. They may not have been meant to upset Rockets fans specifically, I'd guess it's also because they're still upset that Howard left and anything to get back at them they'll say. But it needs to stop.

And you feel the best course of action is to ban an entire sports forum from discussing a sports team just in case somebody gets offended as opposed to just disciplining the two or three people who were actually making those threads in the first place?

thenaj17
07-31-2014, 06:42 AM
The constant rocket trolling is getting a little ridiculous. Having said that, if Rocket fans just avoid these threads instead of *****ing in them. Hate threads don't have legs if there is no one to complain about them.

This, don't be so pathetic as a fan base and get over it

sep11ie
07-31-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm done giving a **** what any of you trolls say. I can say is at least I'm not in the position that the Knicks and Lakers are stuck in. That makes me feel better.

jaydubb
07-31-2014, 07:39 AM
:superman:

KingPosey
07-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Aha. I understand. I agree the rule is stupid. The Rox are getting a ton of stupid **** from a few terrible posters...but nothing more than many teams before them have gotten. It's REALLY bizarre.
Wait what rule? What have I missed?

Goose17
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Wait what rule? What have I missed?

I just wanted to inform you all that from here on out, any thread that is created regarding anything that has to do against the Rockets or any hate towards the Rockets will now be closed and an infraction could be given in the process as well.

:)

Chronz
07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Its not unheard of for a past his prime defender to come back from injury and be the DPOY. Just takes the right teammates and the right performance. I doubt Dwight has either of those coming.

FlashBolt
07-31-2014, 02:04 PM
I hope the moderators realize that what Houston received as of late is nothing compared to what Heat/Lakers/Knicks and many other teams have went through. Plus, these Houston threads were mostly great questions.. Guess we have more Houston Rockets fans than I thought.

Trueblue2
07-31-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm done giving a **** what any of you trolls say. I can say is at least I'm not in the position that the Knicks and Lakers are stuck in. That makes me feel better.

Reported for baiting... wont stop until theres a "everybody be nice to the lakers" thread stickied.

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2014, 07:21 PM
I see.....

:laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
07-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Reported for baiting... wont stop until theres a "everybody be nice to the lakers" thread stickied.

:laugh:

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-31-2014, 07:35 PM
No! Next thread

DallasTrilla23
07-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Well, in response to the original question asked.. I don't think he will unless we see a noticeable improvement from the team on the defensive end because the team defense isn't really great right now. If you look at the past winners like Noah, Gasol, Howard Garnett, etc. All had great defensive teams.

Im not sure about the team defense on the Knicks the season that Chandler got it but I do believe he improved it a lot when he got there.

Ariza's Better
07-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Well, in response to the original question asked.. I don't think he will unless we see a noticeable improvement from the team on the defensive end because the team defense isn't really great right now. If you look at the past winners like Noah, Gasol, Howard Garnett, etc. All had great defensive teams.

Im not sure about the team defense on the Knicks the season that Chandler got it but I do believe he improved it a lot when he got there.
This
The award is now rewarding good defensive teams by giving it to that teams best defensive player.

Ariza's Better
07-31-2014, 08:05 PM
I will say that he is playing the right position. Outside the odd exception, it's basically a big man award.

SPURSFAN1
07-31-2014, 08:05 PM
This
The award is now rewarding good defensive teams by giving it to that teams best defensive player.

Well defensively recently Dwight hasn't done jack. So he isn't going to win it anyways.

kobe4thewinbang
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I think he could win it one more time, but he'd have to really commit to it. It's a big load to carry when you have James Harden hindering you on defense all the time.

ghettosean
07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Closing this thread.

Well done :clap:

Ariza's Better
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I think he could win it one more time, but he'd have to really commit to it. It's a big load to carry when you have James Harden hindering you on defense all the time.
It's less Harden's man and more Jones man. Jones isn't big enough to gaurd some of the PF's so Howard has to split his time guarding both PF and C.

MTar786
08-01-2014, 03:04 AM
i think harden should win defensive player of the year

Munkeysuit
08-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Not even close, I think we will be constantly amazed by Anthony Davis this year.

mightybosstone
08-01-2014, 09:36 AM
I think the addition of Ariza will really, really help Houston's overall team defense, which should draw more attention to how good of a defender Howard still is. Many posters act like Howard is a complete shell of himself or a mediocre defender, but the guy is still one of the best 4-5 defensive big men in the league and most metrics back that up.

I don't necessarily think the best defender in a given season usually wins the award anyway, because I hardly ever think there's one defender who stands out from the crowd and deserves it more than anyone else. They usually just give it to one of the top 5-7 guys whose team played great defense that year and was in contention. So could Howard win it again? I think so. But Houston has to become a top 10 defensive team and the Rockets need to win a boatload of games to be in consideration.

D-Leethal
08-01-2014, 09:50 AM
He won't win it until he has a team in the top 5-10. Thats basically how the award is given nowadays.

mightybosstone
08-01-2014, 10:12 AM
He won't win it until he has a team in the top 5-10. Thats basically how the award is given nowadays.

Top 5-10 in terms of record or top 5-10 in terms of defense? Because the Rockets were tied for the fifth best record in the league last year.

ghettosean
08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Top 5-10 in terms of record or top 5-10 in terms of defense? Because the Rockets were tied for the fifth best record in the league last year.

Yes but last year they had more of a bench Asik and Lin and this year is full of question marks... I wouldn't have high hopes of being a top 5 this season.

mightybosstone
08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Yes but last year they had more of a bench Asik and Lin and this year is full of question marks... I wouldn't have high hopes of being a top 5 this season.

Asik missed half of the season and Lin's wildly inconsistent production is replaceable. If they don't add any other pieces this offseason, they're going to rely heavily on young guys. But if those young guys step up and produce, I see no reason why they can't actually have more depth than a year ago.

I actually thought their depth sucked last year. Hell, toward the end of the season, I thought Motiejunas was their best bench player, and at least he's coming back. But they were atrocious on the wings and I'm really hoping that Nick Johnson and Troy Daniels can make a difference there. Also, even with losing Asik, I think they actually have better depth in terms of bigs this season. Adrien is coming off a really good season in Milwaukee and Dorsey has played some great defensive basketball in Europe the last few seasons. Plus Capela is coming over already, and he could feasibly at least make an impact on the defensive end.

The one hole I really see right now in terms of depth is at SF. I'd really, really like to see them add another veteran 3 and D guy at that position to fill out the roster. With Marion almost certain to leave Dallas, I think he would be the absolute perfect fit and he could even play some stretch 4 next to Howard. But I'd settle for anyone who could get Houston 15-20 minutes a game off the bench, hit 3-pointers at a decent clip and pay above average defense.

ghettosean
08-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Asik missed half of the season and Lin's wildly inconsistent production is replaceable. If they don't add any other pieces this offseason, they're going to rely heavily on young guys. But if those young guys step up and produce, I see no reason why they can't actually have more depth than a year ago.

I actually thought their depth sucked last year. Hell, toward the end of the season, I thought Motiejunas was their best bench player, and at least he's coming back. But they were atrocious on the wings and I'm really hoping that Nick Johnson and Troy Daniels can make a difference there. Also, even with losing Asik, I think they actually have better depth in terms of bigs this season. Adrien is coming off a really good season in Milwaukee and Dorsey has played some great defensive basketball in Europe the last few seasons. Plus Capela is coming over already, and he could feasibly at least make an impact on the defensive end.

The one hole I really see right now in terms of depth is at SF. I'd really, really like to see them add another veteran 3 and D guy at that position to fill out the roster. With Marion almost certain to leave Dallas, I think he would be the absolute perfect fit and he could even play some stretch 4 next to Howard. But I'd settle for anyone who could get Houston 15-20 minutes a game off the bench, hit 3-pointers at a decent clip and pay above average defense.

The other player I left out was Patrick Beverly because when Lin wasn't working out McHale would go between the 2 so hopefully he comes back healthy or PG might be a bit of an issue.

mightybosstone
08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
The other player I left out was Patrick Beverly because when Lin wasn't working out McHale would go between the 2 so hopefully he comes back healthy or PG might be a bit of an issue.

Even with Ish Smith and Isaiah Canaan on the roster, I feel a little afraid of Houston's point guard depth because of how many games Beverley missed last year. If the Rockets can get 70 games out of him, it shouldn't be an issue. But if he misses as many games as he did last year, they're going to be in trouble because I can't see Smith or Canaan starting 25-30 games a season. I've heard Houston has shown some interest in Ramon Sessions, which would be a quality signing. But ideally, I would just hope that Beverley doesn't miss a huge chunk of games this year.